Fix your favorite and least favorite FE

Køkø

9 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Idk if it's the right place to talk about unit's quality of one game, but it's fine with me to discuss about it.

Seriously Aran is one of the worse DB units in hard mode at least because his speed base and growth are low. His good speed growth is worth for nothing when he gets doubled.

Nolan, on the other hand, is a great guy and a better warrior than Boyd simply because he has speed and earth affinity. He has a great speed growth for his class and he's one of very few DS members in the beginning who can take more than one hit. He serves as a wall beginning and turns into a dodgetank later on. He's the best fighter in FE besides the fighter twins from FE5.

Jill is a flier, and you know that this class got a huge buff. Her start is shaky with her bad HP and strength. She really needs transfer boosts or energy drop and angelic robe. With a bit investment and a few levels she'll become a mobile wall with attack power. At the end she's the best unit in the game because she'll become a better dodgetank than Haar and female dragon lords have better caps than males. Since Fiona is practially unusable Jill's your only mounted unit in the DB.

...Did you read ANYTHING I said? I wasn't talking about gameplay or characters that appeared in PoR.

Or was this post not really directed at me? If not, then whatever... Also, Aran has really good defense. He's one of the only DB members who can take a hit too. That's why I like using him. Nolan never did much for me. I prefer Boyd.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourite - Radiant Dawn

• Availability is the biggest factor when it comes to a lot of the units. Dawn Brigade really doesn't feel like it gains much when it has to face 1-Endgame and 3-6(?) or was it 3-7, I forgot. Literally Jill and like... Edward or Nolan are the most playable out of the bunch. Micaiah is fine for a while too but she falls off very easily. Thani can only carry you so far. Tormod's Group. Particular units falling behind, like Lucia and Geoffrey to name a few.
  • Lack of support conversations what-so-ever. The support system is alright, but make some actual conversations happen. It would definitely spice things up.
  • Increase some growth rates / bases of particular characters. Meg / Ena / Kurthnaga are mostly unacceptable at the time they join (just to name a few). Especially Ena and Kurthnaga since they are forced for Endgame.
  • Perhaps more involvement with Part 2, it surely could have been stretched out more.

Least Favourite - Fates

• The story.
  • Conquest Lunatic was fine, but there were some particular areas that pissed me off a lot, like inevitable end (endless debuffs) and infinite staff uses.
  • Revelations entirely. In terms of gameplay, story and the way they handled join times. Nyx and Shura are available on the same chapter (Chapter 15?) and yet Nyx has her bases from Chapter 9 Conquest and Shura has like mid 20s in speed. It makes absolutely no sense.
  • ...Birthright was really easy. But I guess it was meant to be like that.

Spoiler

Favourite: RD (or at least the closest to what you could call my favourite, it's the one I replay the most casually aside from speedrunning it)

• Micaiah as the actual main lord and with Ike and the Greil Mercs fitting in the game like some characters in FE6 (Hector, Eliwood, Marcus, Batre). Also giving the Dawn Brigade actual roles of their own accord more in the game like in PoR.
  • Part 2 being longer
  • Anyone can land the final blow
  • Support conversations
  • Balanced characters (as units AND with character development)
  • No blood pact; make it way more complicated than a piece of parchment forcing Micaiah and Naesala to do the things they did. They could've easily played on Micaiah's Branded heritage with her qualms to the laguz, something that would've made for more complexity with Vika/Muarim and Tormod, hell even Rafiel, Nailah and Volug.
  • No forced Endgame units apart from Micaiah and Sothe
  • And if Sothe is going to be forced; make him actually fucking worth protecting Micaiah and not what he is in the game
  • No Canto/Shove taking up skill slots, what the hell man
  • No stupid caps on classes like the Paladin and Mages
  • Make characters said to be skilled/strong ACTUALLY skilled/strong as units i.e. Geoffrey & Lucia, Tauroneo, Fiona (she's Lanvega's daughter for heaven's sake) etc.) 

...That's all I can think of.

Least Favourite: Awakening

• Don't make Robin the player avatar or even have him at all
  • Give Chrom character development and make the characters all play a part in the plotline, like in PoR
  • Did you see how Gen 1 and 2 in Judgral works with the kids, IntSys? Any reason why you didn't do that with the main story in Awakening at all? The Future Past DLC is the main story we really deserved man.
  • Or if you're not gonna do the Gen 1 and 2 thing; start with Chrom's part, then go to Say'ri as the lead in Valm; THEN bring in Grima and the kids to link it all together. 
  • Map objective diversity
  • Better villains 
  • No hellish grinding for skills with classes. I hate it in both Fates and Awakening so damn much. Skill system should've been as it was in the Tellius games. 
  • Remove Tharja and Nowi from existence. 
  • No paras redeeming villain characters let alone making Emmeryn's death scene redundant 
  • Actually put proper work in the spotpass old Fire Emblems than just reusing avatar models for the characters among so much morr

There we are. It's midnight so me being inventive with words is meh.

Favorite (Shadows of Valentia):

• No more Cantor spam, but they're still present but not on a majority of maps.
  • Map designs are different, the fact the maps are almost all taken from the original makes the actual gameplay feel archaic.
  • Faye is drastically re-written to have more of a personality outside of her obsession with Alm.
  • More supports for everyone, but not to the same degree as Awakening and Fates.
  • Allow for a little bit more of Archanea to be explored in the postgame. This isn't a required change to improve the game more, but would still be nice.
  • Fix the animated cutscenes to not be as janky.

Least favorite (Fates):

• Rewrite the plot of Conquest entirely
  • Remove everything relating to Anankos and Valla, including the entirety of Revelation.
  • Make Corrin not a dragon, or if you really want to keep him as a dragon, just have him be a manakete and throw them in.
  • Make Corrin not a complete and utter moron in Conquest, although that also plays into the first fix.
  • Give the continent a name, and also do some actual worldbuilding, because Fates is almost completely lacking in that department.
  • Remove and replace the Awakening expies. The Awakening trio also have their way of arriving in the Fates continent completely changed because no more Anankos. I'm allowing them to stay because I really like the way their characters have developed in the time since they were in Awakening.
  • Fix the way weapons work, because every single weapon that isn't an Iron/Killer weapon (or their magic equivalent) ranges from "impractical" to "completely and utterly useless".
  • Fix the map design in Birthright to be on par with Conquest's, but easier.
  • Remove the agonizingly terrible chapters (i.e. Ninja Hell) from Conquest and replace them with similar, yet better maps.
  • Make the second generation into optional first generation units who have their paralogues unlocked as the game progresses, or if not remove them entirely.
  • Rewrite the poorly done and flats characters (such as Hisame)
  • Either remove the one-off scenario where Kaze can die unless he has an A rank support with Corrin or add in other, similar scenarios throughout the game.
  • Expand the villains beyond the one dimensional Saturday morning cartoon villains they were.
  • Remove and replace Peri.
  • Bundle Conquest and Birthright together on the same cartridge instead of forcing the player to pay for them separately.
Edited by Crystallized Silver

I'll try my best:

In Fates, there is no need for Azura, and there is no need for Revelations (outside of waifus and Nintendo making money from digital age peasants), and to make the story more interesting, Corrin's origins should remain a mystery until the end of each game (I think I've figured out how to make that possible). 

(One of my least favorite (story wise)) Fates Conquest:

The Story-

Spoiler

The focus of this side should've been that war is cruel, and we all have our personal reasons for war, and Corrin has decided that she'll protect the only family she can trust and has come to know, which is his Nohrian brothers and sisters. Garon will be a real and alive character who helps his family, and opens up to Corrin once he sees that Corrin has chosen his Nohrian family, despite everything the Hoshidians have offered him. Garon can kill Queen Mikoto (who should not be a literal Japanese Emmeryn) because of Sumeragi who did (insert complex unjust thing to Garon). The final boss should be Takumi, but not with all that afterlife non-sense, and angry Takumi phantom. Instead Takumi should be the star boss, where he has grown up to become the toughest enemy in the game, who can attack from close range as well as from a distance. The final encounter with Takumi should represent exactly what blow Corrin has struck to him and his family, where Takumi say's "You killed my father, my only brother, and my mother. I assure you, you will not kill me. No, instead I will be the one to put an arrow through your heart, traitor! Like we should've done when we first met you, and when you killed mother." Takumi deserves it afterall, he is the one who has had to endure a lot of pain, whether it be his lack of power compared to Ryoma, his dilemma, or the fact that his own brother/sister has betrayed him, after he finally started trusting him/her (in the beginning of the story). In the end Garon reveals to Corrin that he is the son of Sumeragi and Sumeragi's first wife, who was actually Garon's true lover. Garon lost her to Sumeragi because she had no other choice, but to marry Sumeragi because their marriage was arranged so that their families could be joined together and bring Hoshido together in peace. The queen was assassinated by Hoshidian anarchists/conservatives, and later Sumeragi fell in true love and married Mikoto, who adapted Corrin. Garon could careless for Mikoto, and he cared more for the child of his first ever love, and so he struck a blow to Sumeragi and killed his lover just like how he lost his own lover. Overall the Corrin of Conquest should be more serious, and accepting than the Corrin of Birthright, and grows throughout the story to realize how cruel the world is, and that in spite of all this madness that has overtaken the world, he can hopefully somehow be able to bring peace and prosperity for the betterment of the world.

Xander

Spoiler

- Needs to have an actual sensible role as the eldest brother, and the Crown Prince of Nohr. Xander's ideology should be that there is no justice in war, only people who need to win it for their own reasons, and he understands that war is the result of men/women who can not settle conflicts on their own, so they need their kingdoms to be involved. In this case Xander's father is the person who needs to invade Hoshido because Sumeragi has commited a grave crime against him in the past (whatever realistic reason it may be). When talking to Corrin, Xander should literally reply to Corrin, when he/she spews out an idea about justice in war, "There is no justice in war! There is only the enemy, and then there is us. We must prevail because we can not afford the price of defeat, especially not now." Xander should be leading the main attack by the army for the most of the game, and comes to help Corrin and his other siblings in combat under special circumstances towards the middle of the game. Xander should be strict, but not cruel, and should always be understanding.

Camilla

Spoiler

- Should be less sexualized, and she should wear clothes that actually makes sense for a malig knight, and someone who's fighting in a war! I feel it would be way better if Camilla is the eldest of the children, and is someone who has always looked after her step-siblings. Since her mother used her as a tool of sorts, it could be that in hatred for that type of relationship Camilla protects her step-siblings as much as she can, and not just randomly Corrin. Being that she is the eldest she could also be the wisest, and is someone the siblings look to for help the most. Camilla knows Corrin is inexperienced for the most part, and so she decides to follow him through the special missions that Xander assigns him.

Leo

Spoiler

- Leo knows he couldn't out perform any of his siblings in pure close quarters combat, so he mastered the power that is a weakness to melee units like Xander or Corrin, which is of course magic. Leo should be the smartest of the siblings, and the person that the others can look to for all details. He should be the tactician of the huge army that his brother and father leads, and comes to help Corrin when he suspects danger for Corrin planned by the very higher-ups of Nohr. Leo should not have a Takumi-mindset, instead he should remain trusting, but always trying to plan things out one-step ahead.

Elise

Spoiler

- Elise can have a childish personality, but not to the extent that she is shown to be in the game. Elise should be the youngest of the siblings as she is, and yes wanting to help all of her siblings, but she should be more understanding, she is almost an adult after all.

Corrin

Spoiler

- Corrin after choosing sides with his Nohrian siblings should be curious and bold enough to ask Garon for the truth, with which Garon promises to Corrin on his honor as a king that he is Corrin's rightful father, and that he promises that he will not keep him/her stuck in a castle anymore, and that he realizes that he needs him/her more than ever now. So Corrin realizes that he has no choice, but to try and accept the answer Garon has given him, either ways Corrin realizes that even if Garon has done him wrong, he does not need to abandon his siblings, who he cares about deeply for the sake of getting revenge on his father. Corrin is disliked by most Nohrians at first because of the rumors that he is secretly helping the Hoshidians after his time in Hoshido, and people try to ambush his small group of warriors and kill him, but eventually is saved by Leo. Corrin realizes he has to work and needs to show that he is a child of dusk like other Nohrians, until he is ambushed once more, but this time when all seemed hopeless the divine blade Yato is summoned to Corrin's side and the large group of  Nohrians see this, and take it as sign that Corrin is a true child of dusk, and is here to help Nohr win the war and defeat the Hoshidans. Eventually Corrin succeeds in many small missions to help Xander's efforts and is joined by Xander in the front lines, as he defeats his Hoshidians siblings. Corrin learns from her time in war, that Xander is right, and that there is no justice in war, and that she can't fix things, but she can try to make what is left better after the war. The story ends with Corrin as a prince of Nohr, serving her brother Xander, trying to help fix relations between the two nations behind the scenes.

Also Corrin needs to have shoes, and his dragon form needs to stop looking like a certain Pokemon.

Peri

Spoiler

- She is awful, and can't be fixed in anyway after what Fates has done with her. Peri needs to be removed as Xander's retainer, and should be replaced by a new character that Xander can actually trust to help keep him safe, and help him defend his people. 

Few Other Things:

Spoiler

- Of course certain characters need to have better presentation and personalities as well, mainly on the Hoshidan side.

- Garon should not try to assassinate Corrin towards the beginning of the game.

- Garon should not trust Hans to help Corrin, instead Hans can be someone hired by the Nohrian higher-ups to kill Corrin.

- Fix sorcerer's/dark mage's stripper style.

- The whole children and time-capsule-realm-thing needs to be removed. Instead the children should just be in DLCs as a part of their own story, and you can meet them in the DLCs with your units, and view their support conversations (in the main game as well, but not fight with them in the main game).

- Don't make Birthright easier than Conquest, and yes keep Conquest difficult and challenging.

As for my favorite game Awakening, I know it is flawed, but I don't know of a way to fix those flaws in a manner that keeps the game and story great. (yet)

Edited by Altina

On 24.06.2017 at 6:21 PM, Køkø said:

Genealogy suffers from the same RNG problems as 1-6. I'd give it Tellius RNG. 

All GBA titles (6, 7, 8) have the same RNG. Double RN was introduced in Binding Blade.

36 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

All GBA titles (6, 7, 8) have the same RNG. Double RN was introduced in Binding Blade.

Interesting, I've never had any problems with FE 7-10 RNG in any playthroughs. (I've played each of these games at least 15 times.) I have horrible memories with FE6, at times it felt like a watered down FE5. Maybe it's just me, but others have shared similar sentiments. FE3's the worst offender in my opinion. On every playthrough, the Barbarians never miss or get hurt by the Devil Axe.

Edited by Køkø

23 minutes ago, Køkø said:

I have horrible memories with FE6, at times it felt like a watered down FE5. Maybe it's just me, but others have shared similar sentiments.

The issues you had in FE6 were with the weapons’ hit rates, not the RNG itself.

FE12 (fave): Improve 85% of the cast's base stats.

FE10 (worst): Change all maps and unit balance (player and enemy) at the very least. Allow the player to activate enemy range and readd the weapon triangle on hard mode.

No displayed enemy range is a nice feature for people who like to count. Personally I like it, and I don't click on enemies to check their movement / attack range anymore. It's a feature which makes me thinking.

However I guess it should rather a customized option instead of being fixed in hard(er) difficulties.

Edited by はたの 秦 こころ

No, if you like to count there's a simple method: don't click on enemies.

Fwiw I don't mind counting tiles when enemy ranges can't show what I need (e.g. if I'm LTCing and need to count movement over a certain amount of turns) but it's just stupid and crippling to be denied enemy ranges. Even GBAFE and prior was good enough with the "enemy range vanishes when you go back to map" function. FE10's change was simply bad.

If counting is what entertains you the most about FE, I'm not surprised your favorite FE is FE10. Gameplay is for 2016

Edited by Gradivus.

It doesn't make you think, it makes you manually count squares for no real reason, a rather mind-numbing waste of your time.

It's fake difficulty of the highest order, there is no actual change to anything other than decrease the accessibility/convenience of the game.  At least WT being gone has a real effect on how matchups work and the way you approach the game, whereas what you do when enemy ranges aren't displayed and when they are doesn't actually change, it's just you spend time doing nothing but counting squares when they aren't.

Displayed movement ranges, for player and enemy units alike, are the single most amazing thing the series has ever done, dramatically increasing the accessibility of the games they're in.  

No, if you like to count there's a simple method: don't click on enemies.
That's what I do and meant. Fixed my previous comment if it sounded unclear.

If counting is what entertains you the most about FE, I'm not surprised your favorite FE is FE10. Gameplay is for 2016
The more mechanics in FE10 I have to care about, the better for me. 

I don't understand how no displayed enemies's movement range is fake difficulty.
It simply forces you to use a bit mathematics by counting their attack range. The allies's placement becomes very relevant when you fight on larger maps against a large number of enemies.
However I have to admit that this mechanic becomes pointless in your 3rd or 4th run because you know the enemies's placement already.
For a first time run still an interesting feature for me.

Also you have to calculate the taken damage of an ally in an enemy phase as well. It's not a real difference than to calculating all enemies's attack range for me.

You don't have to calculate anything. You have to count. Even a 5 year old can do that. It doesn't add anything, you don't have to think more, it doesn't make positioning harder (you will know the enemy range either way and the safe positions will be literally the same), it only makes you waste time counting the enemy range, something even a 5 year old can do. You can also end up missing an enemy, which is not fair at all, and again, doesn't add anything to the game.

Edited by Nobody

Would you say the same about FE4 with special terrain like road?

I mean, sure, it's only counting the movement added with weapon range which is still a mathematical operation btw. It's not hard stuff for an average educated person. However if you have to do it several times in one turn you can really challenge your brain, especially if you're stressed.

13 minutes ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Would you say the same about FE4 with special terrain like road?

I mean, sure, it's only counting the movement added with weapon range which is still a mathematical operation btw. It's not hard stuff for an average educated person. However if you have to do it several times in one turn you can really challenge your brain, especially if you're stressed.

Part of why it's so annoying is because it's not hard.  It's simply tedious and repetitive, the number of times you have to do it only makes it MORE tedious and repetitive, not challenging.  

The movement ranges are the same whether the game shows you or not, so nothing actually changes about the actual sources of difficulty (ie enemy stats, placement, and skills), and regardless of whether you count them manually like in FE1/2 or see them on screen like in everything else, you still find out what the ranges are either way.  The only thing not showing you adds is tediously counting squares.  Which is, frankly, not engaging at all.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

On 06/26/2017 at 0:39 PM, Altina said:

I'll try my best:

In Fates, there is no need for Azura, and there is no need for Revelations (outside of waifus and Nintendo making money from digital age peasants), and to make the story more interesting, Corrin's origins should remain a mystery until the end of each game (I think I've figured out how to make that possible). 

(One of my least favorite (story wise)) Fates Conquest:

The Story-

Reveal hidden contents

The focus of this side should've been that war is cruel, and we all have our personal reasons for war, and Corrin has decided that she'll protect the only family she can trust and has come to know, which is his Nohrian brothers and sisters. Garon will be a real and alive character who helps his family, and opens up to Corrin once he sees that Corrin has chosen his Nohrian family, despite everything the Hoshidians have offered him. Garon can kill Queen Mikoto (who should not be a literal Japanese Emmeryn) because of Sumeragi who did (insert complex unjust thing to Garon). The final boss should be Takumi, but not with all that afterlife non-sense, and angry Takumi phantom. Instead Takumi should be the star boss, where he has grown up to become the toughest enemy in the game, who can attack from close range as well as from a distance. The final encounter with Takumi should represent exactly what blow Corrin has struck to him and his family, where Takumi say's "You killed my father, my only brother, and my mother. I assure you, you will not kill me. No, instead I will be the one to put an arrow through your heart, traitor! Like we should've done when we first met you, and when you killed mother." Takumi deserves it afterall, he is the one who has had to endure a lot of pain, whether it be his lack of power compared to Ryoma, his dilemma, or the fact that his own brother/sister has betrayed him, after he finally started trusting him/her (in the beginning of the story). In the end Garon reveals to Corrin that he is the son of Sumeragi and Sumeragi's first wife, who was actually Garon's true lover. Garon lost her to Sumeragi because she had no other choice, but to marry Sumeragi because their marriage was arranged so that their families could be joined together and bring Hoshido together in peace. The queen was assassinated by Hoshidian anarchists/conservatives, and later Sumeragi fell in true love and married Mikoto, who adapted Corrin. Garon could careless for Mikoto, and he cared more for the child of his first ever love, and so he struck a blow to Sumeragi and killed his lover just like how he lost his own lover. Overall the Corrin of Conquest should be more serious, and accepting than the Corrin of Birthright, and grows throughout the story to realize how cruel the world is, and that in spite of all this madness that has overtaken the world, he can hopefully somehow be able to bring peace and prosperity for the betterment of the world.

Xander

Reveal hidden contents

- Needs to have an actual sensible role as the eldest brother, and the Crown Prince of Nohr. Xander's ideology should be that there is no justice in war, only people who need to win it for their own reasons, and he understands that war is the result of men/women who can not settle conflicts on their own, so they need their kingdoms to be involved. In this case Xander's father is the person who needs to invade Hoshido because Sumeragi has commited a grave crime against him in the past (whatever realistic reason it may be). When talking to Corrin, Xander should literally reply to Corrin, when he/she spews out an idea about justice in war, "There is no justice in war! There is only the enemy, and then there is us. We must prevail because we can not afford the price of defeat, especially not now." Xander should be leading the main attack by the army for the most of the game, and comes to help Corrin and his other siblings in combat under special circumstances towards the middle of the game. Xander should be strict, but not cruel, and should always be understanding.

Camilla

Reveal hidden contents

- Should be less sexualized, and she should wear clothes that actually makes sense for a malig knight, and someone who's fighting in a war! I feel it would be way better if Camilla is the eldest of the children, and is someone who has always looked after her step-siblings. Since her mother used her as a tool of sorts, it could be that in hatred for that type of relationship Camilla protects her step-siblings as much as she can, and not just randomly Corrin. Being that she is the eldest she could also be the wisest, and is someone the siblings look to for help the most. Camilla knows Corrin is inexperienced for the most part, and so she decides to follow him through the special missions that Xander assigns him.

Leo

Reveal hidden contents

- Leo knows he couldn't out perform any of his siblings in pure close quarters combat, so he mastered the power that is a weakness to melee units like Xander or Corrin, which is of course magic. Leo should be the smartest of the siblings, and the person that the others can look to for all details. He should be the tactician of the huge army that his brother and father leads, and comes to help Corrin when he suspects danger for Corrin planned by the very higher-ups of Nohr. Leo should not have a Takumi-mindset, instead he should remain trusting, but always trying to plan things out one-step ahead.

Elise

Reveal hidden contents

- Elise can have a childish personality, but not to the extent that she is shown to be in the game. Elise should be the youngest of the siblings as she is, and yes wanting to help all of her siblings, but she should be more understanding, she is almost an adult after all.

Corrin

Reveal hidden contents

- Corrin after choosing sides with his Nohrian siblings should be curious and bold enough to ask Garon for the truth, with which Garon promises to Corrin on his honor as a king that he is Corrin's rightful father, and that he promises that he will not keep him/her stuck in a castle anymore, and that he realizes that he needs him/her more than ever now. So Corrin realizes that he has no choice, but to try and accept the answer Garon has given him, either ways Corrin realizes that even if Garon has done him wrong, he does not need to abandon his siblings, who he cares about deeply for the sake of getting revenge on his father. Corrin is disliked by most Nohrians at first because of the rumors that he is secretly helping the Hoshidians after his time in Hoshido, and people try to ambush his small group of warriors and kill him, but eventually is saved by Leo. Corrin realizes he has to work and needs to show that he is a child of dusk like other Nohrians, until he is ambushed once more, but this time when all seemed hopeless the divine blade Yato is summoned to Corrin's side and the large group of  Nohrians see this, and take it as sign that Corrin is a true child of dusk, and is here to help Nohr win the war and defeat the Hoshidans. Eventually Corrin succeeds in many small missions to help Xander's efforts and is joined by Xander in the front lines, as he defeats his Hoshidians siblings. Corrin learns from her time in war, that Xander is right, and that there is no justice in war, and that she can't fix things, but she can try to make what is left better after the war. The story ends with Corrin as a prince of Nohr, serving her brother Xander, trying to help fix relations between the two nations behind the scenes.

Also Corrin needs to have shoes, and his dragon form needs to stop looking like a certain Pokemon.

Peri

Reveal hidden contents

- She is awful, and can't be fixed in anyway after what Fates has done with her. Peri needs to be removed as Xander's retainer, and should be replaced by a new character that Xander can actually trust to help keep him safe, and help him defend his people. 

Few Other Things:

Hide contents

- Of course certain characters need to have better presentation and personalities as well, mainly on the Hoshidan side.

- Garon should not try to assassinate Corrin towards the beginning of the game.

- Garon should not trust Hans to help Corrin, instead Hans can be someone hired by the Nohrian higher-ups to kill Corrin.

- Fix sorcerer's/dark mage's stripper style.

- The whole children and time-capsule-realm-thing needs to be removed. Instead the children should just be in DLCs as a part of their own story, and you can meet them in the DLCs with your units, and view their support conversations (in the main game as well, but not fight with them in the main game).

- Don't make Birthright easier than Conquest, and yes keep Conquest difficult and challenging.

As for my favorite game Awakening, I know it is flawed, but I don't know of a way to fix those flaws in a manner that keeps the game and story great. (yet)

Didn't you tag me before?

I like your ideas for the most part, although Garon sounds like one spiteful SoB to kill two people and kidnap their child just becase he couldn't marry the person he wanted to.

My favorite is Awakening and the only things I would fix is more mission completion variety and to prevent reinforcements from moving on the turn they appear.

14 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Didn't you tag me before?

I like your ideas for the most part, although Garon sounds like one spiteful SoB to kill two people and kidnap their child just becase he couldn't marry the person he wanted to.

Yes I did,but I thought you might not have cared for a moment so I untagged you lol. Sorry about the confusion.

I thought that could make Garon a more interesting SoB that way, that he could at least have a decent reason for being so shit to Hoshido. It's not like Garon has to care about Hoshido, so I thought that sort of background would fit for him, and make him more complex of a character.

Thracia 776 (Favorite)

• Lower the penalty for capture attempts. Having to do it on Player Phase is bad enough already
  • Either remove warp or stick a flat 10 range on it
  • Remove Saias from Ch 22 without warpskip he makes it unbearable
  • Add a yes/no prompt for trying to escape with Leif while other dudes haven't escaped yet
  • 0/100 hit rate floor/ceiling
  • Balance the awful units with more personal weapons or skills

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light (Least Favorite)

• Give someone a copy of Shadow Dragon

Favorite - Thracia 776:

• Make the hit rates a proper range from 0-100. 1 to 99 was dumb.
  • Give status ailments timers. Them being permanent outside of being healed away is also dumb.
  • Pace out the early game "Escape" chapters a bit better. I know there's a story reason why like, 4 happen back to back, but it makes the early game a bit repetitive.
  • Actually give Raydrik motivations beyond "I WANT MORE POWER!", and give Veld something to do that isn't purely being Manfroy's bitch in Thracia.
  • Fix Ronan.
  • Give 1-line units more to do so we can actually get some character out of them.
  • 24x.

Least favorite - Sacred Stones:

• Increase enemy growths by a solid 20-25% across the board on all difficulties.
  • Actually develop Magvel as a place, and establish the rules and history behind the world it takes place in. "Everything was cool with these stones then suddenly demons and a bad stone" rivals Fates in terms of bad world-building. At least Fates establishes that Nohr is a barren shithole that needs to take resources from other countries to survive.
  • Remove ALL of the chapters where there's no story progression and it's purely just Ephraim/Eirika fighting monsters in random locations after the storyline splits.
  • Speaking of, when the story splits, make characters who should go with Eirika/Ephraim actually go with Eirika/Ephraim. Why in the world does Seth ditch Eirika to go with Ephraim if you pick Ephraim? Or Kyle and Forde ditching Ephraim for Eirika?
  • Stop and actually tell a story. Having Caellach and Valter literally warp around the continent with no explanation to give characters reasons to be places is boring, and pretty much all of the story is irrelevant up until the last stretch where the lords meet up again. Also, actually tie the events that happen together, rather than just going from place to place doing things.
  • Don't make Eirika dumb as bricks and ruin the story in the span of about 3 seconds by listening to Satan.
  • Also don't make Ephraim superman. Give him actual flaws and have him make mistakes, too.
  • Give all classes unique skills.
  • Get rid of the overworld map. It serves no purpose beyond random encounters that are avoidable regardless.
  • Also, probably the most controversial: Get rid of the creepy twincest vibes.
Edited by Slumber

(Current) Favorite: Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

• Bring back class-based stat caps outside of Overclasses, and maybe the previous 3DSFE titles' cap modifier system. As it stands, classes aren't as varied, functionally, as they have historically been in the series, with a few exceptions. There should be a reason to, for example, pick to have somebody ultimately end up a Baron rather than a Gold Knight, and there currently isn't. I'd also enjoy if there were more classes with access to multiple weapon types, but that may be more a personal thing.
  • Removing genderlocks was a really good thing, so bring back their absence. Add Mercenary, Archer, and Soldier to the female Villager promotion options, and Priest to the male one. Pegasus Knight being female-only is alright, because the Archanea-Valentia universe does actually have it as part of its worldbuilding lore.
  • Do something about those ridiculous movement penalties from desert tiles, and the swamp maps, in their entirety.
  • Buff the HP gains from lion statues to, like, +3 or something. +1 is perfectly fine for other stats, but +1 HP is pretty negligible in comparison.
  • Nerf Cantors somehow. Maybe make it so that summoning Terrors costs them more HP than their regeneration can make up for each turn, and keep them from summoning too many too frequently. De-nerfing Expel might also help with this.
  • On the subject of Cantors, give all the named Cantor bosses unique battle models, not just Jedah. Using the generic one kinda works for the Arcanists since that one is pretty nondescript and all the named Arcanist bosses fit its general profile well enough that it doesn't look too odd, but the generic Cantor model is a very distinct character design that already has a lot of personality and recognizable physical traits to it, so it's downright jarring to enter a combat engagement with Dolth, Garcia, or Mikhail and see the generic Cantor model that looks absolutely nothing like them. While we're at it, lets give Hestia and Marla personal battle models, too. Ideally, Tatarrah, Jamil, and Gharn would also get unique models, but they're sorta lower priority. Also fix the damn armor colors on Zakson and Wolff. Both of them are green for some reason despite that the characters in question wear red- and copper-colored armor, respectively, in their portraits.
  • Give Halcyon more importance and screentime in the plot, and make him a recruitable Arcanist or Cantor (maybe an Arcanist that promotes into a Cantor?) on Celica's route, thus evening out her team count with Alm's. Seriously, it bugs me more than it probably should that they counted both Sonya and Deen towards Celica's team despite that you can only get one, leaving her with 15G/16E to Alm's 16G/17E.
  • Make Alm more flawed, and a better representative of Duma's philosophy, to strengthen the sense of thematic duality between him and Celica.
  • I'd have to think more about how to really do this well, but give Celica a way of damaging and killing Duma below 52 HP, too, and keep her an active player-controlled participant throughout Act 5 rather than boiling it down to the male protagonist having to swoop in and save the female protagonist. For the gameplay side of both of them being active during Act 5, something along the lines of Final Fantasy VI's split-party dungeons would be really cool, I feel. Just generally change it so that Alm and Celica feel equally-important through to the end rather than having Celica step back and become secondary at the last minute to let Alm be the primary hero.
  • Make Act 6 an actual postgame story arc instead of just unlocking a route to go to Archanea for no real sensible reason. Granted, it'd be kinda hard to justify Alm and Celica heading over there still in the wake of everything that went down on Valentia, but still, I'm sure they could come up with something better and more interesting than what they did.
  • Add more supports. Seriously. The ones we do have are great, but there really shouldn't be any instances of one character being another character's only support option, especially since there are no characters that really makes sense for when it gets right down to it.
    Alm, Celica, Gray, Tobin, Kliff, and Faye should each have supports with all of the other five. Celica and Alm's supports being limited to postgame is just fine; they can even use that as the basis for what they talk about.
    Kamui's decision to join Jesse's mercenary kingdom in the epilogue comes a little out of the blue, since he never really interacts with Jesse at all before that. Give them supports, and give Kamui supports with Valbar, too.
    Give Genny supports with Mae, Boey, and Celica in addition to Sonya.
    With Halcyon as a new playable character, he should be able to support Conrad, Sonya, Celica, and maybe even Saber, due to his supposed being from Rigel originally. Definitely give him a special battle quote with Duma, too.
    Atlas should be able to support the Whitewing Sisters, since they have that shared experience of being torn apart from their siblings by Grieth and his cohorts.
    On that note, Zeke could have some really interesting supports with the Whitewings, too.
    There's really just so much potential here, I'm positive I didn't even touch on all of it.
  • Give Cleric-line characters unique spell sets as Mages, too. Having it so that only female Mages get special spell sets as Cleric's but not the other way around is unfair.
  • Make it so that units with defined Mage spell sets will ultimately learn all the Black Magic spells in those spell sets if you make them Harriers.
  • A minor thing, but either:
    Make Yuzu a Myrmidon in accordance with the removal of genderlocking on classes,
    Give her a personal skill that makes it actually beneficial to use her primarily as a swordfighter, or
    Just cave and give her a larger spell list. Gaiden/SoV's having Strength and Magic merged into one stat doesn't really lend itself well at all by default to having a mixed physical/magical character be specialized towards one or the other.

Least Favorite: Fates, in its entirety

• where do I begin
  • Tear the entire plot down to just the base premise, and rebuild it from there. The conflict between Hoshido and Nohr should be genuinely morally-ambiguous, with both sides having equal virtues and vices. Make it so that there's actually a goal for each nation beyond just defeating the other. Ideally, neither side would be free of corruption or wrongdoing, but they should also both be sympathetic enough to make choosing either one palatable, and to make you feel a bit bad about fighting whichever one you sided against.
  • Keep the presence of a third route where you don't choose either kingdom, but instead of making it some miracle golden route where you learn who was really behind it all and everything ends up all sunshine and rainbows, make it about genuinely just not choosing a side and trying to resolve the conflict from the outside. Give it the same amount of recruitable characters as the other two routes instead of more, and give all three routes equally-bittersweet endings. It should still feel like you were able to do some good no matter which route you pick, but also like the resolution was far from perfect.
  • Make the enemy royal siblings die when they are killed instead of just stepping back or having a plotline death cutscene after you beat them in gameplay.
  • Corrin's starting personality can stay, but make it so that their actions have consequences that they aren't sheltered from, and make it so that not everybody unconditionally loves them. From this, you can give them actual character growth and maturation over the course of the story. Also, make their ability to transform into a dragon be more acknowledged within the plot.
  • Make worldbuilding be a thing that exists, and give dragons an actual significant place in the world's lore, akin to their level of importance to Elibe or Archanea at least. If you're gonna make the main character a Manakete, dragons had better be important to the world and story.
  • Make the three Awakening kids universally-recruitable characters. Them not being universal recruits in the actual final game is completely at odds with their entire reason for being in Fateslandia to begin with.
  • Do something about Camilla and Peri being such creeps who almost never get called out on it. Actually, do similar things for every character who's creepy or a huge jerk but never faces any consequences for it. I'm looking at you, Jakob and Azama.
  • Anankos can stay, broadly-speaking, but his entire character would have to be overhauled pretty significantly. Making him a figure in the world akin to Naga, Mila, or Duma would seem to me to be the best option.
  • Make Garon an actual person and not a cackling Saturday morning cartoon villain.
  • Completely remove plotline deaths for characters who are in your party on that route. The permadeath mechanic is already there to represent the possibility of death along the protagonists' journey; you don't need to force it to happen against the player's ability to prevent it. If you are to keep plotline deaths for party members, at least do something meaningful and cool with them, like Quan and Ethlyn's in FE4.
  • Vary the circumstances under which characters join you more. There are a lot of instances of characters who are already in your faction who you just don't meet up with until later in the story; take some characters out of that category and make them meet and join the protagonists in different ways.
  • Change the royal siblings plus their retainers setup to be less obnoxiously-symmetrical, and give the royal sisters more importance and their own personal weapons.
  • Make the non-Hoshido/Nohr nations actually matter in the plot, and have between-chapters narration with the little moving map sprites and flashing nation territories to actually flesh out how the pieces in play are moving around and where the borders between various nations fall. And give the continent a damn name.
  • Also make the S-rank weapons actual Things instead of just kinda... being there.
  • Move all My Castle recruitments into main story chapters.
  • Add voice clips to the support conversations, like in Awakening. They feel so barren without them.
  • Remove the Corrin/Azura and Corrin/Royal Siblings S-supports, and, if children are kept, remove Corrin and Kana's S-supports with them, and set it up so that the game detects when child characters ended up cousins and bars them from S-supporting if they did.
  • Add more same-gender pairing options, and not even just involving Corrin.
  • Remove the concept of "Corrinsexual" characters, and make sure they all get plenty of supports and, if sensible, romance options.
  • Either axe kids as a mechanic altogether, or do FE4-style multiple generations, where the focus shifts completely onto the kids after a certain point, and there's an actual timeskip. There would be substitutes for characters with unmarried fixed parents.
  • This is super petty, but bring back that mysterious, scholarly, robed Dark Mage aesthetic from pre-3DSFE. At least for Nyx. Even putting all other (still totally valid) complaints about it aside, it's just plain out-of-character for her to be so scantily-clad when she's expressly self-conscious about her body.
  • Just bake Aptitude's bonuses into Mozu's natural growth rates. Alternatively, make Aptitude a skill that Mozu just comes with but that isn't attached to the Villager class, and let her share the class with her spouse and A+ partner. Maybe add in an Afa's Drop/Metis' Scroll-type item that teaches Aptitude, but that there's only one of in the entire game.
  • Actually, I'd really love if they made Mozu's Villager class work like Valentian Villagers in terms of promotion, but that might just be my bias showing.
  • Remove Eternal Seals, and make it so that a level 20 second-tier character or a level 40 single-tier character automatically gains all skills from a new class line they switch into. Additionally, set the final level up to 20 promoted/40 single-tier also teach all yet-unlearned skills from that class line.
  • Also, cut character statues and their stat cap bonuses.
  • As much as I love how exploitable My Castle battles are for powerleveling Staff-users in non-Conquest routes, that should... proooobably be fixed.
  • Honestly, make My Castle a postgame feature, or at least include sets of chapters that forcibly punt you along from one to the next without getting a chance to return to your Castle when it wouldn't make sense for the plot. Make the Castle a physical location in the world that serves as your team's home base that they return to every so often throughout the plot. Alternatively, replace My "Castle" with the army's current camp, with the backdrop changing depending on what point in the story you're currently at.
  • Give the amiibo characters reclass options and personal skills; Locktouch for Marth (to emulate the Fire Emblem letting him open chests), Shove for Ike, and Bold Stance for Lucina and Robin.
    Lucina would have her own irremovable additional class options from Awakening; Cavalier and Archer. As for the others...
    Ike would have Fighter due to training with Boyd, and, uhhh... maybe Cavalier, taken from Titania and Oscar? Monk, inherited from his mother, might also be a neat choice.
    Marth could go Cavalier/Archer like Chrom and Lucina, but that's a little boring. Maybe Cavalier, plus Sky Knight as his secondary options, from Partner Sealing with Caeda offscreen?
    Robin's kinda the toughest to pin down, but I think it'd make the most sense to give him Dark Mage, inherited from Validar, and allowing him to focus strictly on magic, and then Mercenary, to allow him to focus strictly on Swords. Alternatively, Outlaw might be an option to represent a path he could've taken in life were he not found by Chrom, or Wyvern Rider, 'cause, y'know, the whole "Fell Dragon" thing.
  • Make Cipher Marth, Lucina, and Minerva accessible in the English version, and give them some buffs, too. Cipher Marth and Lucina would essentially just be alternate skins of the amiibo versions of those characters, being identical aside from appearance and possibly not having critical cut-ins. Minerva would have Aegis or Wing Shield as her personal skill and access to Wyvern Rider (for obvious reasons) and Shrine Maiden (Maria, and her FE3/12 ending) through reclassing.
  • Make the capturable bosses into full recruitable characters who are simply recruited that way, and give them support conversations and secondary class options. Daniela should join you normally in Conquest, as should Haitaka and Kumagera in Birthright. Zhara could be a mercenary you could hire in any route, a la Beowolf, Hugh, or Rennac.
  • Let Candace reclass and wear the Bath Towel you cowards.
Edited by Topaz Light

This sounds like fun, so here I go!

Favorite: Sacred Stones

-Make the enemies tougher.

-Give Seth a nerf not in growths, but in bases. Prolly like minus 2 in each stat.

-Give the Trainees better bases at start, as well as better growths.

-Ephiram's and Eirika's character, but I'm no expert at story stuff so I wouldn't really know what would be best.

-Instead of the tower being a place for grinding, maybe it be replace with something like an area for managing supports, weapons, and receiving messages.

-Make Lyon in Eirika's route similar to Ephraim's route. He's kinda a generic crybaby gone edgy on Eirika's route.

Also favorite: Fates(Mainly Conquest):

-NERF FUCKING HIDDEN WEAPONS TO HAVE THE STATS DROPS LAST ONE TURN!!!(Also applies to seal skills and stat drop penalties)

-AND MAKE SKILLS LIKE POISON STRIKE NOT STACK WITH EACH OTHER!!! WTF IS?!

-The guy above me has the general idea about Corrin that I want to see. " Corrin's starting personality can stay, but make it so that their actions have consequences that they aren't sheltered from, and make it so that not everybody unconditionally loves them. From this, you can give them actual character growth and maturation over the course of the story. Also, make their ability to transform into a dragon be more acknowledged within the plot."

-The Javelin and Hand Axe nerfs are cool, but a good buff to make them relevant will be to have them double with fighting in close combat. 

-The Male and Female Fighters need pants. The design in general need to be redone. Berserker design is cool though.

-Make Peri more sympathetic and tone down the killing nonsense. I like Peri, but I will agree that her character needs some work to be more likable.

-Anakos should be Conquest's main villain. I actually like Anakos' premise as a villain, but the fact that it doesn't get touched on at all in main story sucks.

-More focus on Mikoto in general. Don't know how, though.

-Make Jakob less of a dick and Felicia less of a trope.

-Camila Needs some pants, too.

-bring back face touching :P

Least Favorite: Binding Blade(not as much now, but I haven't played it in a while.)

-Roy's promotion as a design is underwhelming, because there is no design. I'd definitely make a new sprite for him so that his OPness can truly shine.

-Fix unit balance.

-Rewrite Lilina to be less of obvious ship bait for Roy.

-Maaaaaybe more mission objectives, but I'm not sure about it.

-Remake the Merc sprite and animation for the love of Naga.

-Give Roy a completely different personalty cause he's okay, but not really different when you compare him to Alm, Marth, or hell even his old man.

Huh. My Favorite list has more that I'd change than my least favorite list.