[WIP]FE1 Translation

Kirb1337

At First, There Is
 an Earth Dragon,
The Falchion Blade,
And

9sz9HtQ.png

What is this?

This is a Complete, made from scratch Fire Emblem 1 Translation.

It aims at Having a better writing than the other translations, by taking inspiration from Fire Emblem 3 and Fire Emblem 11.

Want some screenshots? Sure!

aM1upil.pngX5SRWbS.png

SIqtRpB.pngWydtwiA.png

Features

The stuff you care about:

- Complete Translation of the script/menu of FE1 , with some adjustement to the script to make it feel more modern.

- New font, to replace the boring old one.

- New shiny title screen!(see the beggining of the post for it) 

The boring technical stuff:

- Made the font arrangement accurate to ascii standards, thus making it compatible with ea's(event assembler) String command, making it buildfile compatible, which makes space management/error debugging a million time easier

Credit list:

Darrman and Celice, For their amazing notes, and help from darr,

Nintenlord/CrazyColorz5, For making/updating Event Assembler,

Kabocha/Kabby/Kabochigo/Stopchangingnamepls For some graphical help with the fonts.

Other Stuff:

I plan to release this for FEE3 or before if i manage to get chapte 1-6 completed in time. Chapter 5 and 6 will be showcased at fee3.

Edited by Kirb1337

That title screen is really nice! (But why not use the official translation? :lol:)

Also, it might be just me, but the uppercase "S" is a bit hard to read in those screenshots. The rest of it looks good though. 

And bravo for having the patience to deal with nes hacking. I looked into potentially retranslating fe1 and fe2 a while ago, but I gave up after realizing how much harder rom expansion and vwf's are on nes than snes :D:. (fwiw here's some mockups that i made that i wanted the final product to resemble) -

https://joesteve1914.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/fire-emblem-japan_001q.png

https://joesteve1914.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/fire-emblem-japan_0014.png

Is rom expansion something that you're planning on? iirc the original fe1 patch had trouble with the amount of available space in the rom, which resulted in the script being shortened in many places. 

13 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

That title screen is really nice! (But why not use the official translation? :lol:)

It's an error on my side and i'm too lazy to fix it rn Personal preferences.

Also, it might be just me, but the uppercase "S" is a bit hard to read in those screenshots. The rest of it looks good though. 

Ye it is, i'm gonna redo it.

And bravo for having the patience to deal with nes hacking. I looked into potentially retranslating fe1 and fe2 a while ago, but I gave up after realizing how much harder rom expansion and vwf's are on nes than snes :D:. (fwiw here's some mockups that i made that i wanted the final product to resemble) -

https://joesteve1914.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/fire-emblem-japan_001q.png

https://joesteve1914.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/fire-emblem-japan_0014.png

That font looks pretty good! anyway, as for vwf, i was thinking of implementing it later down the line using asm.

Is rom expansion something that you're planning on? iirc the original fe1 patch had trouble with the amount of available space in the rom, which resulted in the script being shortened in many places. 

For the moment i already have way enough space, but when i'll run out of it, i'll look into it(I already have an idea of how to deal with it.)

The major problem I have with the original screenshots is the font/kerning, but it looks like you're already addressing that.

Also, I'd like to get into NES rom hacking, and this looks like a good place to start since our work is basically done for us, we just have to figure out how to fit it into the rom. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

37 minutes ago, JamesBCrazy said:

Also, I'd like to get into NES rom hacking, and this looks like a good place to start since our work is basically done for us, we just have to figure out how to fit it into the rom. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

huh, Are you saying you know a bit of nes hacking and can help, Or are you saying you'd wish to learn how to do it and would appreciate it if i gave you tasks to do for you to learn? Sorry to ask, i am a bit confused.

7NEaLqe.gif6MiRjQf.gifUICub2I.gif

Have some glitchy gifs while you wait

I've also been doing some tinkering with the menus:

lb6cYOR.png

tell me what you think of it.

(yes i know the g is crap and i didnt write strenght correctly, i'm going to fix this)

Edited by Kirb1337

5 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

7NEaLqe.gif6MiRjQf.gifUICub2I.gif

I've also been doing some tinkering with the menus:

lb6cYOR.png

tell me what you think of it.

(yes i know the g is crap and i didnt write strenght correctly, i'm going to fix this)

Cool, did you manage to implement a vwf, or is that the multiple letters on one glyph trick?

11 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

Glitchy gifs are the best.

I do like this new way of presenting the text. Monospace has never been my cup of tea.
Letters with descenders (p, g, q, y) don’t really work well with the limitations though. Maybe you might want to look into a different font?

12 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

Cool, did you manage to implement a vwf, or is that the multiple letters on one glyph trick?

it's the multiple letters on one glyph trick.

7yaQjYP.png

Edited by Kirb1337

• 2 months later...

IFZ2b8C.gif

Been a while, Heh? Lots of real stuff happened, so I couldn't really do much, But now, I got these menus translated. What's next:

- Convoy and option menus

- Dialogue

But since FE5 atm is more important, because it's the one getting featured on FEE3, And i'm also working on FE9Editor in the meantime, and a java FE engine for my school, expect less updates on this.

Edited by Kirb1337