Who is Better? Unit Vs.

Who is Statiscally better?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. FE6

2. 2. FE7

3. 3. FE8

4. 4. Bonus

Hello everyone! I have really liked talking about statistics in FE recently so I thought of a new series for me. Unit Vs. Basically, I will put two units head to head and let the Serenes Community rate who is better overall. Please vote wisely and remember to put your reasoning so your vote below. I will choose a pair from each game.

This is not a "which unit do you prefer using?" or "which unit was more useful for you?" Please choose your decision carefully.

Cecilia vs Clarine: Clarine is the best of the early healers, and Cecilia joins in a desert chapter that severely hampers her movement.  Clarine can also dodgetank MUCH better than Cecilia can.

Sain vs Lowen:  Sain easily, Lyn mode levels and Str is more important than Defenses in FE7.

Moulder vs Natasha: Moulder, jointime advantage with more HP and starting closer to promotion and higher base staff rank.

Artur vs Lute: ...In all honesty, I find them pretty interchangeable, though I guess Artur has Bishop access for Slayer.

Clarine helps out a lot in the early game, and while Cecilia is usable, she's very squishy for a premmie.

Sain. I love Lowen, I feel like a tank on a horse is a very valuable thing in most FEs, but Sain is better for FE7.

Moulder is tanky, Natasha is not, which is very nice for a tank.

Artur gets Slayer. He wins.

Promoted Clarine is an excellent dodge tank, and she'll probably promote right around when Cecilia joins anyway, and is the best healer before promotion due to move. Cecilia has some advantages like tome rank (Aircalibur) but her stats are generally quite a bit worse.

Sain has good offence especially once his speed gets rolling. Lowen's a half-hearted concrete tank in a game about dodge-tanking, meh.

Moulder has 1 luck so I have to worry about him dying any time I expose him. Otherwise the difference between him and Natasha isn't very significant to me. I don't really care for either.

Lute gets better avoid than Artur, as well as a horse (though it's only +1 move over promoted infantry instead of the usual +2). There aren't many monsters she fails to ORKO after promotion so I'm not feeling this Slayer hype.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Clarine helps out a lot in the early game, and while Cecilia is usable, she's very squishy for a premmie.

Sain. I love Lowen, I feel like a tank on a horse is a very valuable thing in most FEs, but Sain is better for FE7.

Slayer isn't exactly necessary in FE8 though. Lute will kill just fine. Slayer is overkill.

And does a healer really need to be tanky?

2 hours ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Cecilia vs Clarine: Clarine is the best of the early healers, and Cecilia joins in a desert chapter that severely hampers her movement.  Clarine can also dodgetank MUCH better than Cecilia can.

Sain vs Lowen:  Sain easily, Lyn mode levels and Str is more important than Defenses in FE7.

Moulder vs Natasha: Moulder, jointime advantage with more HP and starting closer to promotion and higher base staff rank.

Artur vs Lute: ...In all honesty, I find them pretty interchangeable, though I guess Artur has Bishop access for Slayer.

What would you say without Lyn Mode? Lowen or Sain?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why no Kent alongside Lowen and Sain?

Well, this topic came from a discussion I had on the Reddit Discord Chat. I always thought Sain was better than Lowen, but a couple of others said Lowen is better without Lyn Mode. Which idk is true. The same couple also said Cecilia > Clarine and Artur > Lute. Which I completely disagreed with and wanted to see what other people thought.

Just now, 1japanfan said:

Slayer isn't exactly necessary in FE8 though. Lute will kill just fine. Slayer is overkill.

The question isn't "Which unit is the most adequate at doing whatever job needs to be done" the question is "Who is the better unit?"

Slayer being overkill doesn't somehow work against Artur.

Just now, Slumber said:

The question isn't "Which unit is the most adequate at doing whatever job needs to be done" the question is "Who is the better unit?"

Slayer being overkill doesn't somehow work against Artur.

Good Point. I would also say Anima > Light, so until promotion I would say Lute is better and she will still be able to contribute as much as Artur will even with slayer.

2 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

What would you say without Lyn Mode? Lowen or Sain?

I mean, I've never played without Lyn Hard mode.  So I don't think I can say for certain, but still Sain.  Lowen's growths just aren't what you want in FE7, what with 30 in Str and Spd.

3 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I mean, I've never played without Lyn Hard mode.  So I don't think I can say for certain, but still Sain.  Lowen's growths just aren't what you want in FE7, what with 30 in Str and Spd.

Wouldn't his bases help him out though? And I think he can still kill stuff in FE7 late game.

Just now, 1japanfan said:

What about before Sain joins? Lowen will have all that training to do up until then . His offense then might better than Sain at base.

Before Sain joins, there's no competition.  However, the one I'd say is more worth the investment, even without Lyn mode, is Sain.  High Str and decent Speed > Defenses.

11 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Before Sain joins, there's no competition.  However, the one I'd say is more worth the investment, even without Lyn mode, is Sain.  High Str and decent Speed > Defenses.

I concur. Being able to deal damage is more important than being able to take a hit in FE7, which is where Sain's speed and strength come in. In some FEs, Lowen would be absolutely preferable to Sain. But for FE7, Sain's a better get.

I do not think its a major gap between the two, though. Both I'd say are fairly worth using.

Edited by Slumber

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I concur. Being able to deal damage is more important than being able to take a hit in FE7, which is where Sain's speed and strength come in. In some FEs, Lowen would be absolutely preferable to Sain. But for FE7, Sain's a better get.

I do not think its a major gap between the two, though. Both I'd say are fairly worth using.

Understandable. The peeps I was talking too just said that Lowen can get the job done and will contribute before Sain joins. Now what about CLarine and Cecilia?

16 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

Understandable. The peeps I was talking too just said that Lowen can get the job done and will contribute before Sain joins. Now what about CLarine and Cecilia?

Cecilia has a lot going for her on paper. She's very squishy, but likely will be less squishy than Clarine. You don't have to train her, which is major, due to how hard it is to level up healers, and you don't need to promote her, since promotion items are so valuable in FE6.

However, she joins fairly late and isn't a spectacular unit when she joins. She has cripplingly low speed, which puts her in great danger when put together with her low defense and HP. But ultimately, early game utility is more important, which is where Clarine gets more points. You could probably completely replace Clarine with Cecilia once Cecilia shows up, but Clarine just gets more work in due to her better availability.

It's another one where it's fairly close(In my head, at least), and some people might say Cecilia purely due to the things she has going for her, which are quite significant things. But for me, and probably the others voting for Clarine, availability is largely what wins this for her.

Edited by Slumber

Clarine: Mostly just availability, being a mounted healer is very useful.

Sain: Can potentially be promoted to Paladin with the Lyn Mode Knight's Crest which gives him very strong overall stats/more Mov/axes. Pretty competitive with Lowen even without it, since Sain's Str and Spd are better.

Moulder: Higher staff rank and level with an earlier join time gives him more utility.

Artur: Being able to promote to Bishop gives him a decent staff rank. Can eventually get to Warp, tougher with Lute since she'll have D staves on promo at best.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Bold: I'd be extremely hesitant to say Moulder is "tanky" when he has only 1 base luck and isn't THAT much more durable than her because of it... And before you (or anyone else, for that matter) try to play the Hoplon Guard card, I'll say it only comes into play during the last quarter of the game.

That being said...

Clarine - mostly for availability

Sain - better offence

Natasha - not prone to blow up into a bloody mess because some cannon fodder got a crit in; also dodges better and can get a horse

Lute - Anima > Light; also able to get a horse

Lmao, healers shouldn't be taking hits in the first place.

Anyway, Moulder is better than Natasha. Better staff rank, better availability, better HP, better speed, better con, better starting level(meaning he can promote sooner) etc. 

Clarine vs Cecilia: Clarine takes the win for simply being one of the best early healers and more of a dodgetank than Cecilia. The only thing Cecilia is better at is a higher Anima rank and being able to kill enemies easier thanks to her higher mag.

Sain vs Lowen: Lowen, because I find a defensive tank that does gain Strength every so often (unless totally RNG screwed or something) more useful. Also, even though Sain has Lyn mode to level up and become better, he still doesn't appear till chapter 16 (right?) of Eliwood/Hector mode, so Lowen still has plenty of chances to reach Sain's level (or at least one or two levels below him).

Moulder vs Natasha: Moulder because he comes early and is a tank.

Artur vs Lute: This was difficult, but I decided to go with Lute, since her overall stats are better than Artur's. That doesn't mean Artur isn't good though. He's also pretty useful and can turn into a Bishop and get the Slayer, which is very useful in FE8 as undead monsters roam about.

FE6: Clarine simply because of better availibility. Cecilia's base stave level C isn't good enough to justify being better than Clarine.
FE7: Kain although I've to say I never ever used Lowen. Sain's bases and growths are quite decent and he has useful support options (Kent, Lyn, Florina).
FE8 healer: This is the only tough one imo. Honestly I'd say neither when L'Arachel joins. She's the only useful light magic user in this game for me despite it takes forever to promote her. Moulder has con and a bit defense but nothing else, Natasha has magic but nothing else. I still voted for her because of her better magic growth but I like neither tbh.
FE8 mage: Lute has great growths (highest magic growth), access to light magic or a horse. Honestly I prefer sage because of her caps (30 magic, 26 speed). Her only weakness is her low con. My favorite magic user aside of Judgral and Echoes.

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Lmao, healers shouldn't be taking hits in the first place.

Anyway, Moulder is better than Natasha. Better staff rank, better availability, better HP, better speed, better con, better starting level(meaning he can promote sooner) etc. 

Ideally, no. But it's still a sore spot for me, because facing crit chances is infinitely inferior to not facing them, and this is non-negotiable (it also undoes what little durability advantage he'd have, far as I'm concerned). And for what it's worth, I find value in being able to safely expose a mage so they can blow some poor loser up on the counter, to say nothing of not wanting a useless S rank for my healers.

1 hour ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Moulder vs Natasha: Moulder because he comes early and is a tank.

Your definition of "tank" and mine must be night and day, because by my standards, "tank" doesn't befit him.

Natasha has a lower staff rank, which is the main thing that matters. Maybe Moulder has less luck, but who cares. Luck is basically a throwaway stat to begin with. GBA crits are ridiculously unlikely, and if your healer is getting hit by something you didn't intend for them to, much less crit, you need a better strategy