What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- FE7 and Elibe in general suck and are totally boring.
- The bloodpact in RD is a cool concept (it just needed a little more depth and explanation).
- Ike did not steal Micaiah's spotlight in RD, that was Yune. Ike's role was perfectly fine. Micaiah sucks anyway and was one of the worst written lords ever. I hate her. If IS wanted Ike to keep being the primary focus, she or any second Tellius lord should've never existed. Otherwise, give them equal attention and spotlight, please.
- RD Ike is not a Stu because PoR exists which gave him development and plenty of reason for why people respect him and think of him as a superb hero and commander. He wasn't developed any further or anything and wasn't written as well as he could have, but it did NOT make him a Stu. He wasn't ever really portrayed as being perfect at everything and loved by all and stuff. Hell, the only things Ike is ever stated to be good at are swordplay, leadership, and eating.
- Frederick is the best written 3DS character (so far, haven't finished Echoes).
- Lucina is awful and I hate her.
- Camilla is awful and I hate her too. Same with Tharja.
- Lyn is boring.

Edited by Anacybele

Don't really care for Awakening/Fates Soundtrack. Not bad at all but I can't remember a majority of them. That said not all the older player phase/attack/Enemy phase/defend themes are better, but most are more memorable and catchy

FE15 Endgame is nearly ruined by the Mogals spawning, though the rest is incredible

Never played The Future Past DLC but can't say I like Lucina, but this already looks like a bit of a Lucina bashing thread

On that note, Ike's inclusion in FE10 doesn't bother me, as it wouldn't make sense for a huge war to break out and the now world renown hero of the last war is bound to show up. I'll admit the focus shifts a little too much off Micky but not to the point that it ruins the game. 

And on that note, most of the Dawn Brigade maps are just meh. Not the highlight of the game (That goes to Endgame), but not awful

In maybe 2 months Faye will be completely forgotten about, most hate is just the initial shock of learning of her personality

Berukt is a good villain, especially by FE standards. He does excellent in this plot but most of his popularity is due to Based Ian Sinclair and not being  an outstanding villain

SoV was great, but I have no idea how people are sinking multiple playthroughs into it. I'm sure I will in the future but the Forks and minor reclassing options aren't enough to slog through it again

If it weren't for respawing enemies I wouldn't mind dungeons being a permanent feature of the series

Literally don't give a shit about durability, Hammerne was always a thing and saving the best weapons for endgame was everyone's habit

I did like constitution and build as it made some units good and some bad, though I don't really mind it's removal

Edited by FireLeafRuby

4 hours ago, Carter said:

Oh, also I love Faye. I think she's adorable.

Well she is! And a really good unit!

1 hour ago, SakuraFish said:

I like Peri and hate Azura

Azura was actually kind of boring imo.

6 minutes ago, FireLeafRuby said:

Berukt is a good villain, especially by FE standards. He does excellent in this plot but most of his popularity is due to Based Ian Sinclair and not a good villain

Honestly, I cared more about him more than any of the other villians in the series. Kind of reminds me of the Digimon Emperor.

One of mine is actually kind of obvious but I like Anthony. There I said it. His arc could've been better.

I hate Camilla, and Tharja

Nowi/Lon'qu is best support

areanyofouropinionsunpopularanymoreconsideringsomanypeoplehavethesame"unpopular"opinionaseachotherinthisthread

• Cecilia is gnarly.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets a little too much heat than it should.
  • I like Camilla due to her past and psychological status.
  • Lyn mode is not horrible.  Definitely hand holding, but what do you expect for the first FE game to be released outside of Japan?
  • I'm not a fan of Joshua.  Cool story, but meh as a unit for me.
  • Marth is overrated.
  • Gaiden/SoV maps weren't all that bad.
  • Soren is meh.  Honestly never really used or paid attention to the guy.
  • Pelleas deserves some love.
  • They really failed to convey the mysterious air of Azura which ultimately damaged the story of Fates for me.
  • Alm is very....bland to me.

Those are all that I can think of so can we all just group hug and love the franchise together now? xP

12 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Pelleas deserves some love.

THIS. I can't believe I forgot this one. Pelleas kind of suffers from the same characterization problems the rest of the RD cast has, but he's a really interesting character. Not all that bright, but he kind of acts like a moral compass once he starts to discover himself (like Ike in a way), but he grows in ways Ike doesn't which make him more interesting to me. He's willing to sacrifice. He really owns up to his mistakes and is willing to do anything he can to fix them. RD did pretty okay with his character, but he had so much potential to be a really unique royal.

1 hour ago, L9999 said:

Sorry, but these are factually wrong.

Oh i'm sorry, i didn't know my unpopular opinions could be factually wrong, even though by definition, an opinion can't be wrong.

26 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets a little too much heat than it should.

Agreed. I haven't played it myself but it looks fun from what i've seen.. I'm hoping they port it over to the Switch and kill the Wii U even more.

8 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

THIS. I can't believe I forgot this one. Pelleas kind of suffers from the same characterization problems the rest of the RD cast has, but he's a really interesting character. Not all that bright, but he kind of acts like a moral compass once he starts to discover himself (like Ike in a way), but he grows in ways Ike doesn't which make him more interesting to me. He's willing to sacrifice. He really owns up to his mistakes and is willing to do anything he can to fix them. RD did pretty okay with his character, but he had so much potential to be a really unique royal.

Pelleas definitely fills in that role of a tragic character.  And while he doesn't get much after the Dawn Brigade arc(s), he is overall interesting in the general narrative of the story.  Also there's tons of parallels one can draw between him and Elincia too that a lot of people just forget because, well, he's Pelleas.  He's a great character that is even willing to lay down his life just for the sake of everyone else.  Hence, why I think he's great and also why he needs some more love.  althoughjudgingbytheresponseofthisopinionitprobablyisn'tunpopular.  He's also my mage of choice in playthroughs of RD.

2 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Pelleas definitely fills in that role of a tragic character.  And while he doesn't get much after the Dawn Brigade arc(s), he is overall interesting in the general narrative of the story.  Also there's tons of parallels one can draw between him and Elincia too that a lot of people just forget because, well, he's Pelleas.  He's a great character that is even willing to lay down his life just for the sake of everyone else.  Hence, why I think he's great and also why he needs some more love.  althoughjudgingbytheresponseofthisopinionitprobablyisn'tunpopular.  He's also my mage of choice in playthroughs of RD.

Whether it's unpopular or not is kind of up in the air. I've met plenty of people that hardcore hate him. But I've just never seen it. Meanwhile, a large majority of people in this topic seem to dislike Ike, yet he's been voted one of the most popular characters. Same with Lucina. Maybe it's possible for both opinions to be popular/unpopular at the same time?

Just now, Rafiel's Aria said:

Whether it's unpopular or not is kind of up in the air. I've met plenty of people that hardcore hate him. But I've just never seen it. Meanwhile, a large majority of people in this topic seem to dislike Ike, yet he's been voted one of the most popular characters. Same with Lucina. Maybe it's possible for both opinions to be popular/unpopular at the same time?

....Schrödinger's...opinion??

But yes, I actually have seen people hate him as well, which I find rather unwarranted because again, there's lots of parallels you can draw between him and Elincia and Elincia is pretty beloved.  I've actually bonded with a viewer on stream one time because I said I liked Pelleas, so really, his popularity is definitely up in the air.

- I'm not a fan of using cavaliers, and I mostly use them if I feel I need it or I actually like them (like Mathilda)

- Ike is the most overrated character in the existence of the world... I think everyone agrees Ike's existence in FE10 overshadows everything, but I also dislike how his "development" works in FE9. He is a nice guy... but oh god... the games makes me want to hate him for being so... perfect (FE10) or over-plot-protected (FE9)

- Faye is my favorite Echoes's Villager, I understand why people dislikes her, but i don't think she is that bad.

- The only Royale Siblings (Fates) I like (personality-wise) are Sakura and Elise; I'm indifferent with the rest.

- FE10 is a flawed game (still one of my favorites in the franchise); and the DB Chapters, even if they're the most "painful" are also the most fun (and have overall the best map design).

- Delthea is the BEST mage in FE Echoes, nor Celica or other overrated characters.

- Eliwood is my favorite of the Blazing Blade Trio.

- Also, Micaiah and Roy are my favorite lords.

- Lyn is overrated and the only reason she isn't considered (usually) a worse unit than someone like Roy or Micaiah is because she is in a easier (a lot easier) game.

7 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

....Schrödinger's...opinion??

But yes, I actually have seen people hate him as well, which I find rather unwarranted because again, there's lots of parallels you can draw between him and Elincia and Elincia is pretty beloved.  I've actually bonded with a viewer on stream one time because I said I liked Pelleas, so really, his popularity is definitely up in the air.

I like that way of putting it. XD Schrödinger would approve! 

I always thought the Hoshido siblings (particularly) Ryoma were way more popular than the Nohrian ones, and I always favored the Nohrian ones myself, so I thought my opinion was unpopular. But I've noticed that a lot of the time Hoshido and Birthright tend to extremely close in terms of popularity...or unpopularity. It's just a matter of who you ask. And sometimes the people who dislike something are more vocal than the people that like it.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh i'm sorry, i didn't know my unpopular opinions could be factually wrong, even though by definition, an opinion can't be wrong.

Sophia has absolutely nothing going for her other than giving a guiding ring. Niime and her staff rank are obviously better.

Est units have very poor stats and it is pointless to train them, as they never contribute to anything. The only Ests that are good are Sara, because she is broken and Zeiss because he has a wyvern.

Leif is not the worst, his stats are not fantastic but they can be fixed easily, he is a support bot and Light Sword is very good. 

Edited by L9999

25 minutes ago, Troykv said:

- Ike is the most overrated character in the existence of the world... I think everyone agrees Ike's existence in FE10 overshadows everything, but I also dislike how his "development" works in FE9. He is a nice guy... but oh god... the games makes me want to hate him for being so... perfect (FE10) or over-plot-protected (FE9)

I actually did a write up talking about Ike's many inherit flaws within his story. The idea behind his character is good, but the execution is terrible, as he basically still follows the typical 'chosen one' hero plot line that's used for almost every other lord in the series. He also has his fair share of bigoted moments that the game likes to just throw under the rug (like the time he yelled at Sanaki). Anyway I go in more detail about it in the Ike's Dissonance thread that I made.

50 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Elincia doesn't seem popular to me at all, sadly. The only Tellius characters who seem to be really popular are Ike, Nephenee, and ugh, Mia. Micaiah might be too since she scored pretty high on the Heroes poll, but it's kind of flawed, so it's rather hard to say based on that alone.

And people, this is NOT an Ike hate thread. You're free to dislike him, but this thread isn't for everyone to rant about it and bash him.

Edited by Anacybele

32 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I like that way of putting it. XD Schrödinger would approve! 

I always thought the Hoshido siblings (particularly) Ryoma were way more popular than the Nohrian ones, and I always favored the Nohrian ones myself, so I thought my opinion was unpopular. But I've noticed that a lot of the time Hoshido and Birthright tend to extremely close in terms of popularity...or unpopularity. It's just a matter of who you ask. And sometimes the people who dislike something are more vocal than the people that like it.

Popularity in general is super subjective.  Some people will love one character, while others will hate said character, while others are indifferent, it all just depends.  More than likely, it's what we're exposed to.  For example: I often see the Nohr siblings being more popular than the Hoshidan ones (usually just Ryoma though like you said).  But that doesn't stop people from loving either of them, so really, it's just all down to preference.

I'mgonnacoinSchrödinger'sopinionasanactualtermnow

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Elincia doesn't seem popular to me at all, sadly. The only Tellius characters who seem to be really popular are Ike, Nephenee, and ugh, Mia. Micaiah might be too since she scored pretty high on the Heroes poll, but it's kind of flawed, so it's rather hard to say based on that alone.

And people, this is NOT an Ike hate thread. You're free to dislike him, but this thread isn't for everyone to rant about it and bash him.

In overall FE popularity, Elincia definitely isn't that popular.  She's often overshadowed which is unfortunate.  But it's okay, because those of us who do really like Elincia can really cherish why we do.  Though I think I've seen more people liking Elincia more than people hating on her, which is what I mean when I say she's beloved.

And don't worry about me, I <3 Ike. xP

1 hour ago, MediocreLee said:

Pelleas deserves some love.

Pelleas is a pathetic character, I wouldn't say tragic. Back when I read Catch 22 in high school, the teacher made a distinction between pathetic and tragic- that being tragedy happens to those who fall from a great height- a height of ability or character- while the average or mediocre when they fall suffer a pathetic fall. Pelleas is an ordinary bookish scholar with some obvious ability has his Spirit Contract shows, but he has zero talent as a leader.

Even as a pathetic character (who does try to the best of his limited talents), I like Pelleas. He isn't perfect at all and ultimately turns out to have been a puppet ruler- he's something I don't think we see much of in FE. You're not supposed to like him as a monarch, but he isn't evil either, he's fairly unique. I sometimes self-deprecate by comparing myself to him.

Ike-bashing on SF isn't so uncommon as to call disliking him an unpopular opinion. Though I don't think there is a lord above being criticized- some are harpooned more than others (Corrin, Alm and Celica presently, Ike has had a resurgence of dislike, Chrom), but there is no truly sacred one among them.

As for my own unpopular opinions, I don't know if I have any. My FE opinions tend to be rather weak, and open to seeing contrary viewpoints.

7 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

In overall FE popularity, Elincia definitely isn't that popular.  She's often overshadowed which is unfortunate.  But it's okay, because those of us who do really like Elincia can really cherish why we do.  Though I think I've seen more people liking Elincia more than people hating on her, which is what I mean when I say she's beloved.

And don't worry about me, I <3 Ike. xP

Yeah, I guess so. People don't really hate Elincia, I suppose. Just not many actually LOVE her. :(

And yay! Ike fans! ^^ I was referring mainly to posts people like Troykv and Elincia were making though. It's fine if you're initially saying in your post that one of your unpopular opinions is that you don't like Ike, but then to go on ranting about it in other posts is just inappropriate and annoying.

Though I tend to find that people's reasoning for disliking him is silly. If you don't care for his personality or he's just not your cup of tea or he even just bores you, that's cool. Not everyone will like something. But it annoys me when they hate on him for "stealing spotlight" or say he's a Stu or something like that, and it also feels like more people are hating on him because of his recent poll victories (Famitsu and Heroes)! I very much disagree with those things. Hating a character simply for being popular is especially irrational.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Popularity in general is super subjective.  Some people will love one character, while others will hate said character, while others are indifferent, it all just depends.  More than likely, it's what we're exposed to.  For example: I often see the Nohr siblings being more popular than the Hoshidan ones (usually just Ryoma though like you said).  But that doesn't stop people from loving either of them, so really, it's just all down to preference.

I'mgonnacoinSchrödinger'sopinionasanactualtermnow

I'll totally help out with the coining of that term. This is the birth of a new era.

It would be really interesting to see what kind of demographics hold which opinions. I'm sure age, number of games played, etc. play a factor in some of these opinions. Like when I was little, Ike was my cup of tea. My sister and I would pretend to be Ike and Shinon and beat the snot out of each other with our fake weapons. And now I've grown cynical. XD

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Like when I was little, Ike was my cup of tea. My sister and I would pretend to be Ike and Shinon and beat the snot out of each other with our fake weapons. And now I've grown cynical. XD

Heh, when we played Smash Bros. Brawl after it came out, my younger brother and I would argue over who got to use Ike in the SSE. We eventually settled on taking turns, of course. My younger brother was kind of the reason I love Ike today. He got me into playing Ike, then that led me to look up his game and play it, and here I am. I just wish he and my other brother had liked FE. They both tried it, but decided they preferred other games instead. It was kind of understandable, my one brother is more into stuff like Zelda where you move one character around in an overworld. And my younger brother...I'm actually not sure why it wasn't his thing. Maybe he found it too hard or something. Oh well...

And my younger brother is dead now... I always miss playing with him, but I know I'll always remember it when I think of Ike and play him in Smash.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Heh, when we played Smash Bros. Brawl after it came out, my younger brother and I would argue over who got to use Ike in the SSE. We eventually settled on taking turns, of course. My younger brother was kind of the reason I love Ike today. He got me into playing Ike, then that led me to look up his game and play it, and here I am. I just wish he and my other brother had liked FE. They both tried it, but decided they preferred other games instead. It was kind of understandable, my one brother is more into stuff like Zelda where you move one character around in an overworld. And my younger brother...I'm actually not sure why it wasn't his thing. Maybe he found it too hard or something. Oh well...

And my younger brother is dead now... I always miss playing with him, but I know I'll always remember it when I think of Ike and play him in Smash.

Q~Q I'm very sorry to hear that.

Fond memories can indeed influence our opinions as well which would make collecting statistics for demographics even more difficult...

34 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And people, this is NOT an Ike hate thread. You're free to dislike him, but please top bashing him.

Well... Liking Ike is a popular opinion.

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Q~Q I'm very sorry to hear that.

Fond memories can indeed influence our opinions as well which would make collecting statistics for demographics even more difficult...

Yeah, totally true. It's a big reason why Luigi and Ike will never be dethroned as my favorite video game characters of all time. :P I grew up with one, and the other helped me through tough times. When Ike was revealed for Smash Wii U/3DS just months after I lost my grandma who I was close to, I was the happiest I'd been in a long time.

EDIT: @Troykv That's not the point.

Edited by Anacybele