What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I thought Fate's Combat Support system was actually good (Awakening's was OP)
- Heir's of Fate > The Future Past DLC
- Best older sister Camilla > Hinoka (They should have kept Kagero as the sister for Hoshido)

Spoiler

Disclaimer: I actually do enjoy awakening I just ended up putting more time into Fates and yes, I have played earlier games.

Arena abuse is a legitimate way to raise characters, and I've used it in both Binding Blade and Shadow Dragon DS. The developers consciously included it, you actually incur risks (of having to start over if your character dies while training, or running out of money) while you are using it, and (at least for Binding Blade) not every unit can viably train and level up in it, so the arena is not, and should not be considered as a cheating device, unless you are specifically doing a challenge run. What I don't understand is when I hear sorry whingings of "It's a cheating device, remove it off!", when all you have to do is NOT use it.

If there is an Est that has good growths (or otherwise becomes a good asset in endgame) and reasonably easy to raise, then I will use that character. I didn't use Sophia as she is a pain in the neck to raise, but I did use Est herself in Shadow Dragon by sending her to the arena. I am also using a Sniper-reclassed Mozu and enjoying her deadly attacks consisting of: a) an absolute minimum of 20 (and often 40+) damage per strike; b) 99% of them being doubles; c) a near-guarranteed 80% (and often 100%) accuracy; and d) 20-40% critical activation rate.

I also use and abuse random My Castle Weapon drops, and Skills acquired from the internet. Again, the developers added that into the game, thus it should be considered as an legitimate option.

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, Ronnie said:

Casual mode does NOT ruin Fire Emblem. You don't NEED to play with Permanent Death on to get a Fire Emblem experience. There are plenty of tactical games that can be challenging without the need of permanent death. Yes Fire Emblem originated with that but I'm glad the series branched out and focused on tackling both sides of the fanbase. I myself play Classic mode since it's good practice for whenever I play the older games but when I replay Awakening and Fates, I play Casual mode.

Completely agree! When Awakening came around, I just set the whole thing to Classic like how I previously played Sacred Stones and Binding Blade, and I'm golden. Anyone thinks otherwise is a sorry state of a whinger.

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, Ronnie said:

Also saving mid-chapter is a freaking relief and should be in every FE game.

At least if Revelations is any indicator, I think there would be a really strong case for a mid-chapter save. If a Binding Blade remake is also going to come with the difficulty maintained, then that's another game that really needs this.

Edited by henrymidfields

- Camilla sucks. Not really unpopular opinion here but she's way too popular outside.

- My favourite healer in the entire franchise is Brady

- I don't think Awakening's story was that bad. Some characters acted like idiots (like Yen'fay) but I don't think it was that bad.

- Neimi > Innes

- Legault > Matthew

On 9.7.2017 at 0:53 AM, Ronnie said:

Also saving mid-chapter is a freaking relief and should be in every FE game.

Couldn't agree more. I really wish you could save mid-chapter in classic mode.

On 6/25/2017 at 3:27 PM, Carter said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, if it all, but I hate con and weight. I've always thought it was unnecessary, and that the games could live without it, as shown in Awakening and Fates. If it were to stay in the games, I'd prefer it be like the way it is in SoV, where it just subtracts speed. Maybe it's because I never even tried to understand how it worked. But whatever happened, I ended up hating weight and con.

Oh, also I love Faye. I think she's adorable.

If you never bothered to understand it, how can you be so sure it was a bad system? I thought Con was a great idea; it only makes sense that a huge knight in armor can more effectively wield a heavy lance than a skinny Pegasus Knight.

• Eliwood is the best FE7 lord
  • Ike is a outstandigly boring character
  • Tharja is just bullshit
  • Legault > Matthew
  • Conquest is the overall worst Fates-route
  • Knoll and Conrad are amazing
  • Kilma is the hardest boss in the entire series
  • Kris is an overall good MU
  • go play Treasure of the Rudras FE4 is one of the worst FE Games

6 hours ago, Finian said:

If you never bothered to understand it, how can you be so sure it was a bad system? I thought Con was a great idea; it only makes sense that a huge knight in armor can more effectively wield a heavy lance than a skinny Pegasus Knight.

I didn't say it was a bad system???? I said I didn't like it because I could never understand it.

7 hours ago, Mariode said:
  • Eliwood is the best FE7 lord
  • Ike is a outstandigly boring character
  • Tharja is just bullshit
  • Legault > Matthew
  • Conquest is the overall worst Fates-route
  • Knoll and Conrad are amazing
  • Kilma is the hardest boss in the entire series
  • Kris is an overall good MU
  • go play Treasure of the Rudras FE4 is one of the worst FE Games

Who was Kilma?

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

Who was Kilma?

The father of Felicia and Flora. How is Kilma hard though? Have they not fought Murdock? Or Reinhardt? I hear Reinhardt is borderline impossible to beat in Thracia.

Edited by Armagon

4 hours ago, Carter said:

I didn't say it was a bad system???? I said I didn't like it because I could never understand it.

You didn't just say you didn't like it, you said it was unnecessary. Which could be inferred as being "bad". 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The father of Felicia and Flora. How is Kilma hard though? Have they not fought Murdock? Or Reinhardt? I hear Reinhardt is borderline impossible to beat in Thracia.

Reinhardt is so ridiculous... that you need to cheese the map to avoid fitting him xD (The game gives you resources to try this).

13 hours ago, Carter said:

Attack Speed = Speed - (Weapon Weight - Con), when (weapon weight - Con) > 0

So if base Shanna, who has 12 speed and 4 Con, uses an iron lance, which has 8 weight in FE6, her attack speed would be 12 - (8 - 4) = 8. 

I can understand disliking it because it disadvantages certain unit types (such as pegasus knights like the aforementioned Shanna), if that's what you meant, though.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

14 hours ago, Troykv said:

Reinhardt is so ridiculous... that you need to cheese the map to avoid fitting him xD (The game gives you resources to try this).

Ah yes, putting him to sleep. Or berserking him. Because that skillset is OK OP.

As for my opinions for today:

-The older royals are worse than the younger ones in Fates: Hinoka barely matters at all, Camilla is Camilla (and the so obviously forced fanservice), Ryoma is alright, but he's not particularly relevant in story and Xander...... I should just point to all the videos explaining that.

-Donnel is the hero who's annoyed my the most in Heroes in a non-wiping me out manner: he's shown up 10 times. That's as many as 1 tens. And that's terrible.

-Geneology is somewhat reliant on external stuff like Treasure to explain things, such as Alvis and his past or how the dragon pacts worked. And I am also OK with this. It is quite apparent that much of this stuff was at least considered to be put in the game. Even if that includes the odd split timeline stuff or the planned 3rd arc.

-Lena is best first cleric. Except for that first vulnerary in MotE Book 1.

Edited by Dayni

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Seriously? FE6 has some nasty general bosses for sure but he ain't one. Literally any promoted sword-user doubles him with an armourslayer and annihilates him with WTA. And don't try to say you might not have an armourslayer; you can buy them on his map!

Okay, here are mine:

-Conquest has the best story of the Fates paths and an above average story by Fire Emblem's (admittedly low) standards.

-Radiant Dawn has the best story of any FE game by a lot. Its lack of support conversations is forgivable thanks to adequate text developing the cast in the main plot, info conversations, and PoR.

-Meg's a decent enough unit who is comparable to the likes of Edward, not the likes of Fiona. She wouldn't get nearly as much of the hate she does if she were conventially attractive.

-Hector is irritatating. Eliwood is the best FE7 lord character-wise.

-Lyn Mode is an excellent introduction to the series.

-Reinforcements which act the turn they appear are awful for a strategy game like this and all but automatically make the games they appear in worse.

-The Awakening/Fates characters which Serenes likes to hate on which are much more popular elsewhere largely deserve their popularity. Xander, Tharja, Camilla, Lucina, etc.

-FE4 is a bad game.

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Seriously? FE6 has some nasty general bosses for sure but he ain't one. Literally any promoted sword-user doubles him with an armourslayer and annihilates him with WTA. And don't try to say you might not have an armourslayer; you can buy them on his map!

I remember Murdock giving me a lot of trouble. Though that could've been because i had to rush the map to access Ch.21x. And that wasn't fun, because Ch.21 has bullshit reinforcements. I dread that chapter every time i play Binding Blade.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember Murdock giving me a lot of trouble. Though that could've been because i had to rush the map to access Ch.21x. And that wasn't fun, because Ch.21 has bullshit reinforcements. I dread that chapter every time i play Binding Blade.

Yeah, it's not that Murdock is so so tough on his own (but he isn't a slouch, either), it's the rest of the map + time limit. It's really the last defining chapter before cruising through the rest of the game. 1/1 no boss is really so tough unless they can also move, like Lloyd levels of FoW.

Murdock is respectable enough in that you do need a very specific item to beat him comfortably, which is more than what the majority of other bosses in the series can say. Murdock is a good benchmark for what good bosses should be, and he is remembered correctly for being a badass.

13 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

-The Awakening/Fates characters which Serenes likes to hate on which are much more popular elsewhere largely deserve their popularity. Xander, Tharja, Camilla, Lucina, etc

Please don't take this rudely, but can I ask why exactly? I just want to know why you feel that way. I personally think that they're popular because, for many, those two were their first FE and characters from your first FE you usually see in a biased way. I love Ogma to death and all, but I know that I probably wouldn't love him as much if he wasn't from SD which was my first FE.

One opinion of mine that i think is unpopular: I don't care about fire emblem characters. There's nothing about any of them that ever made me care, in any of the games. 

Like, I see people angry or enthusiastic about certain characters being in spin offs, and i simply don't care about which ones they add. I don't even think they got any worse on Awakening and Fates, they were always shallow, one dimentional and gave me no reason to care. As long as I don't find the characters annoying (and oh boy some of them are unbearable), then whatever.

Maybe one day Fire Emblem will have characters that made me care like idk Velvet from Berseria or Noctis, but honestly, I don't really mind if it doesn't. Actually, I cared more about Tokyo Mirage Sessions' cast than I ever did about any fire emblem character.

Edited by Nobody

Idk if it's unpopular:
Brave weapons in the GBA games are useless due to their high weight. Low con units can't attack four times.

In general con was just a bad buffer for weapon weight... but this isn't an unpopular opinion for sure.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

In terms of remakes had more fun with Shadow Dragon than I did Echoes.

Speaking of Echoes for some reason I couldn't get into it. It's not a bad game don't get me wrong, I just felt it was disappointing.

On 2017-07-23 at 8:20 AM, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Yeah, it's not that Murdock is so so tough on his own (but he isn't a slouch, either), it's the rest of the map + time limit. It's really the last defining chapter before cruising through the rest of the game. 1/1 no boss is really so tough unless they can also move, like Lloyd levels of FoW.

Murdock is respectable enough in that you do need a very specific item to beat him comfortably, which is more than what the majority of other bosses in the series can say. Murdock is a good benchmark for what good bosses should be, and he is remembered correctly for being a badass.

I like the character of Murdock well enough, but again, I couldn't disagree more. He's not a remotely difficult opponent. Even among immobile FE6 general bosses, earlier ones such as Leygance and one of the ones on Bartre route have far, far higher stats for the time (particularly speed), and have WTA on Armourslayers instead of WTD (Hammer has garbage hit rate even with WTA). Murdock has a tough map but he himself is honestly quite easy. And FE6 has quite a few bosses who are very nasty 1/1, even moreso than those generals. Scott comes to mind as someone who may well require obtuse tactics to beat (like attacking with a mage then rescue-drop before he can switch to his Hand Axe) since he has a monstrous crit rate and high power such that nobody except maybe Zealot can tank a crit. Henning has high stats overall, two very different weapons to watch for which can double/ORKO various people, and ludicrous evade for the time. Zephiel is basically a strictly better version of Murdock: actual res, no armour weakness, a small crit rate for low-luck PCs, and support which appears in the room as you fight him.

On 2017-07-23 at 9:12 PM, familyplayer said:

Please don't take this rudely, but can I ask why exactly? I just want to know why you feel that way. I personally think that they're popular because, for many, those two were their first FE and characters from your first FE you usually see in a biased way. I love Ogma to death and all, but I know that I probably wouldn't love him as much if he wasn't from SD which was my first FE.

My first FE was 7 and I think most of its characters are pretty weak. Great gameplay but characters? Eh. Beyond a couple amusing bit characters like Matthew it doesn't have much IMO. I see your point, mind; nostalgia is powerful. But it certainly doesn't fully explain this situation. I mentioned Fates and I feel like Fates is relatively few people's first FE. Awakening I'll grant, was a first for many, but IMO its characters hold up very well even as someone who had played most of the series before it; in fact it's precisely because its characters are so likable that it's the big hit that it was.

If you want my specific opinions on the characters I mentioned:

-Lucina is admirably determined to change her world's shitty future. She is the female lead (female Robin possibilities notwithstanding) and avoids most of the stereotypical anime female pitfalls, and doesn't have to worry about the game having a more badass man upstage her as happened to Eirika and Micaiah (who I think are also good, don't get me wrong!). Her voice work is superb.
-Like most comic characters, Tharja either works for you or she doesn't, but she certainly worked for me. She's... creepy and zany but has solid interactions in her supports; other characters often react to her in rather hilarious ways. There are some great scenes like when she pretends to be normal and somehow comes across even worse.
-Xander is easily the best execution of a Camus-type character in the series, precisely because his loyalty is not just to his king, but his father, and literally his entire existence is built on that loyalty. In Birthright in particular he's built up as the main antagonist and that plot arc has a shocking and effective conclusion. In Conquest you get to see what his trope looks like when he's on your side, which is also fun.
-Camilla is simultaneously admirable in her strength and self-confidence (and trope-breaks what female PCs in FE are rather hard in a way even Lucina doesn't) and a messed-up headcase (on Birthright especially) who gets some solid backstory development for why she's that way. Has a great set of supports and relationships.

None of these are unpopular opinions among the fandom at large but for some reason Serenes in particular seems quite negative on all these characters to varying degrees and I feel like a lot of it is just backlash. Not that there aren't honest reasons to dislike these characters of course. And I'm not going to claim to be perfect about this; it's entirely possible that I like Roy and Ike less than I should because of backlash myself.