What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

IMO, In FE6, there's really no reason for Elffin to be in part of Roy's army. Sure he helps Roy but since Roy pretty much is flawless and since he has already studied a lot about dragons especially the Scouring, he can easily do things on his own without Elffin's assistance one bit.

I don't get how his absence actually helped Roy in the war but just how is that any helpful? 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

IMO, In FE6, there's really no reason for Elffin to be in part of Roy's army. Sure he helps Roy but since Roy pretty much is flawless and since he has already studied a lot about dragons especially the Scouring, he can easily do things on his own without Elffin's assistance one bit.

I don't get how his absence actually helped Roy in the war but just how is that any helpful? 

Elffin is the Prince of Etruria and one of the leaders of the resistance in the Western Isles, it's his presence (or Larum's knowledge of it) that sways Perceval over to Roy's side, and Elffin has more information of the Divine Weapon of the Western Isles, Armads, than Roy does (which is why he needs to be alive for 12x if you recruited him, but Larum doesn't need to be alive for 12x if you got her instead).  After the Western Isles arc he doesn't actually do very much in the story.

Roy doesn't know everything about the legends from the onset.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Elffin is the Prince of Etruria and one of the leaders of the resistance in the Western Isles, it's his presence (or Larum's knowledge of it) that sways Perceval over to Roy's side, and Elffin has more information of the Divine Weapon of the Western Isles, Armads, than Roy does (which is why he needs to be alive for 12x if you recruited him, but Larum doesn't need to be alive for 12x if you got her instead).  After the Western Isles arc he doesn't actually do very much in the story.

Roy doesn't know everything about the legends from the onset.

The thing is Elffin still wouldn't be required during the western isles section and again, since Roy is entirely flawless, he could have instead talked to Lillina and she would have most likely have known about where the Armads is since well...Hector wielded it once so to not know that her dad used it would be kinda odd. And even if Blazing Blade's plot doesn't count, It still wouldn't matter because it could easily have been some other knowledgeable character or a grunt that could have spotted a legendary treasure for Roy.

As for his well being the main reason why Perceval joins Roy, Perceval already had doubts about Bern's recent actions. I mean, how the hell can Perceval ignore Cecilla's injuries and just go about as planned? That alone would or atleast should have motivated him to join to Roy's army or just betray the trust with Bern.

And Roy...come on now, this guy is completely flawless. I'm sure that if the devs worked on the plot a bit further, he would be reading a book that's all about legendary weapons and from there, he can easily find out where it can be. The only reason why some units share some spotlight is because they don't want Roy to be the only thing that revolves around the player and the overall story even though it kinda does to some extent.

Just now, Harvey said:

The thing is Elffin still wouldn't be required during the western isles section and again, since Roy is entirely flawless, he could have instead talked to Lillina and she would have most likely have known about where the Armads is since well...Hector wielded it once so to not know that her dad used it would be kinda odd. And even if Blazing Blade's plot doesn't count, It still wouldn't matter because it could easily have been some other knowledgeable character or a grunt that could have spotted a legendary treasure for Roy.

As for his well being the main reason why Perceval joins Roy, Perceval already had doubts about Bern's recent actions. I mean, how the hell can Perceval ignore Cecilla's injuries and just go about as planned? That alone would or atleast should have motivated him to join to Roy's army or just betray the trust with Bern.

And Roy...come on now, this guy is completely flawless. I'm sure that if the devs worked on the plot a bit further, he would be reading a book that's all about legendary weapons and from there, he can easily find out where it can be. The only reason why some units share some spotlight is because they don't want Roy to be the only thing that revolves around the player and the overall story even though it kinda does to some extent.

Hector using Armads was not established while FE6 was in development.  Hell, he can't even use it in FE6 (and likewise Eliwood can't use Durandal in FE6, only Maltet) due to not having the axe rank.  It wasn't a thing until FE7's development.  And even then, it's not like Lilina's been to the Western Isles herself, she doesn't know the layout of the land or where the cave is.

What other knowledgeable character?  Why can't Elffin do it instead of them?  And why would you want a faceless grunt to find it over an established character?

Perceval was unsure about where his loyalties lay (unlike Cecilia who pledged herself to Etruria's people and Douglas who pledged himself to Etruria's king), Elffin's presence on the opposite side is what brought him over.  By joining up with Elffin, he is both serving the monarchy and helping save Etruria from Bernese influence.

I'm not sure what Roy being "flawless" has to do with this.  Elffin contributes by 1. Finding Armads and 2. Being the missing Etrurian prince.  

Okay, I hate every plot in this series about evil nobles conspiring against a noble blood-monarch. This is really ever-present and undercuts the hints of anti-monarchist sentiment that crops up in a few games. Can't help but imagine IntSys' writers collectively seething about the Magna Carta.

Echoes completely drops the ball on Alm and Celica's character development towards the end. Instead of a thesis-antithesis-synthesis structure to their conflicting perspectives, Alm is made to be right about everything and Celica's made to be wrong. This would be fine if everything about the ending didn't suggest the former happened, which is awkward and unearned. A lot happens to throw Celica's relationship with her party into question, but we never see interaction between her and any of them after this.

Libra is the only acceptable boy to ship Lissa with because their supports allow her to express desire in a really genuine way. Lissa is probably gay but should not date Maribelle.

Corrin and Xander shouldn't have sex. Micaiah is the pettiest and thirstiest lord and I love her.

38 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Hector using Armads was not established while FE6 was in development.  Hell, he can't even use it in FE6 (and likewise Eliwood can't use Durandal in FE6, only Maltet) due to not having the axe rank.  It wasn't a thing until FE7's development.

Which is what I mentioned that even if Blazing Blade's plot is not relevant to this, Elffin still doesn't add up.

39 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

And even then, it's not like Lilina's been to the Western Isles herself, she doesn't know the layout of the land or where the cave is.

Considering the fact that FE6 feels like a rushed game, I'm going to say that the devs would have added more plot to it if more time was given to it

Perhaps in the remake, they will put some scenes where Roy and Lillina will know where the Armads and Durandal are since their fathers used them once but that's just me.

46 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

What other knowledgeable character?

Well..There's Lillina but you already stated that she can't know that even though she knew about the Durandal. Then there's of course Roy himself because the game gives too much of spotlight at him. Heck I'd wager that it could have been Astore even. Or even Guniviere since well she is against Zephiel's actions and is mostly aware of the legendary weapons.

52 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Why can't Elffin do it instead of them?

Because he's blind. How can someone like him possibly be aware of the Armads if all he went through was a poison arrow that somehow caused him to be blind throughout the entire war? He had no knowledge about the Armads before he became blind so how could be know it all of a sudden? 

The game doesn't even reveal his mysteries nor his strange powers and whatnot. 

57 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

And why would you want a faceless grunt to find it over an established character?

Because again, the story while good feels a bit rushed and there already was a grunt that spotted a legendary weapon wasn't there?

58 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Perceval was unsure about where his loyalties lay (unlike Cecilia who pledged herself to Etruria's people and Douglas who pledged himself to Etruria's king), Elffin's presence on the opposite side is what brought him over.  By joining up with Elffin, he is both serving the monarchy and helping save Etruria from Bernese influence.

He is loyal to both of them still. I don't get why he had doubts about it but whatever. 

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I'm not sure what Roy being "flawless" has to do with this.

How can't you? The game like I said earlier makes Roy your boy.

13 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because he's blind. How can someone like him possibly be aware of the Armads if all he went through was a poison arrow that somehow caused him to be blind throughout the entire war? He had no knowledge about the Armads before he became blind so how could be know it all of a sudden?

He's not completely blind. Elphin goes blind occasionally but he can still see. Being the prince of Eturia, he should've read about the Armads. Then after spending some time in the Western Isles. He learned about it's location. He didn't "suddenly" know about it.

22 minutes ago, Harvey said:

His only mystery is being the missing prince of Eturia. And what strange powers? He has none.

16 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well..There's Lillina but you already stated that she can't know that even though she knew about the Durandal.

Durandal was used by Roland. A.k.a Lycia's founder. It makes sense for Lilina, the princess of Ostia (Lycia's most powerful state), to know about the Durandal. Lilina wasn't born, nor she has never been to the Western Isles. She may have read about Armads in a book but said book likely talked about Durban, the wielder of Armads. Not where Armads was hidden.

23 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Then there's of course Roy himself because the game gives too much of spotlight at him.

It's almost as if he's the main protagonist. It's not like every Fire Emblem game does this? Right? Right?

Spoiler

List of FE Lords who has "too much spotlight"

• Marth
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Eliwood/Hector depending on the mode
  • Renais Twins (depending on the route)
  • Ike
  • Ike again
  • Chrom
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Whoever FE16's Lord is
29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Considering the fact that FE6 feels like a rushed game,

Why does this feel like your usual FE6 rants.

16 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I'm going to say that the devs would have added more plot to it if more time was given to it

I don't see what you mean, Lilina's never been to the Western Isles, adding more to the plot has nothing to do with it.

19 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well..There's Lillina but you already stated that she can't know that even though she knew about the Durandal. Then there's of course Roy himself because the game gives too much of spotlight at him. Heck I'd wager that it could have been Astore even. Or even Guniviere since well she is against Zephiel's actions and is mostly aware of the legendary weapons.

1. Lilina knew where Durandal was because she was an heir to House Ostia, aka the people who are supposed to be keeping it safe.

2. What does Roy having spotlight due to being the main character have to do with knowing where Armads is?

3. Why Astore?  He's from Nabata, not the Isles.

4. First, did you even play the game?  Guinevere wasn't with Roy at the time of 12x, she leaves for a while in Chapter 9 and returns in Chapter 13 when Miledy is recruited.  Second, the only legendary weapon she's able to help with is Apocalypse, which was in Bern aka the place she is from.  

24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

It's implied he's not completely blind, and it's not like blind people don't have other ways of being aware of their surroundings.  He's been with the resistance force in the Isles for quite some time, and he's a bard so he was likely able to pick up on where the cave is simply by learning about the local legends.

Mysteries?  The game clearly states he's Prince Myrrdain and there's really no other mystery to him.  And strange powers?  What strange powers?  The only one I can think of is the move again songs which are powered by giving the recipient motivation much in the same way dancers do.

30 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because again, the story while good feels a bit rushed and there already was a grunt that spotted a legendary weapon wasn't there?

On the enemy side maybe if you fail to hit the turn limit, otherwise Elffin's the one who shows Roy where it is.

31 minutes ago, Harvey said:

How can't you? The game like I said earlier makes Roy your boy.

And how is that relevant to the Prince of Etruria's role in the story?

10 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I don't see what you mean, Lilina's never been to the Western Isles, adding more to the plot has nothing to do with it.

I meant that had the devs had more time to finish the game, the plot could have been elaborated more.

13 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

What does Roy having spotlight due to being the main character have to do with knowing where Armads is?

Because unlike other lords who have flaws or atleast have a good personality, Roy is the most intelligent and the most respected for some reason. He studied a lot of things including the Scouring which should have by now made him aware of the divine weapons. Since the game makes him so almighty, he can easily do it himself without being spoonfeed about it. Its really difficult for me to accept him as a character seeing that he can pretty much do what he wants to do.

17 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Why Astore?  He's from Nabata, not the Isles.

Because he's a spy and spies usually are the ones that can get information. But in this case, since Elffin needs to be alive to access the chapter, its irrelevant right?

18 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

First, did you even play the game?  Guinevere wasn't with Roy at the time of 12x, she leaves for a while in Chapter 9 and returns in Chapter 13 when Miledy is recruited.  Second, the only legendary weapon she's able to help with is Apocalypse, which was in Bern aka the place she is from.  

Yeah I know...I mean, how could I have possibly not paid attention to its good plot after just playing it twice? 

I guess I needed to repharese the statement there. If the devs had more time, the plot could have changed a bit and it could easily have been someother character instead of Elffin doing it.

21 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

And strange powers?  What strange powers?

How he's able to predict stuff? How is he able to judge your overall performance?(same thing with Lallum as well btw).

11 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I meant that had the devs had more time to finish the game, the plot could have been elaborated more.

Elaborate on what?  Lilina has never been to the Isles before Chapter 9.  What is there to elaborate on?

Because unlike other lords who have flaws or atleast have a good personality, Roy is the most intelligent and the most respected for some reason. He studied a lot of things including the Scouring which should have by now made him aware of the divine weapons. Since the game makes him so almighty, he can easily do it himself without being spoonfeed about it. Its really difficult for me to accept him as a character seeing that he can pretty much do what he wants to do.

Knowing what the weapons are =/= Knowing where they are.  Roy is not from the Isles, there is no reason for him to know enough about the place to know where the cave is.

Because he's a spy and spies usually are the ones that can get information. But in this case, since Elffin needs to be alive to access the chapter, its irrelevant right?

Astore wouldn't have time to refind the information Elffin already knew (turn limit).

Yeah I know...I mean, how could I have possibly not paid attention to its good plot after just playing it twice? 

I guess I needed to repharese the statement there. If the devs had more time, the plot could have changed a bit and it could easily have been someother character instead of Elffin doing it.

And why is it a problem for Elffin to find Armads?  It makes enough sense as is, more sense than Lilina, Roy or Astore suddenly knowing where the cave is.

How he's able to predict stuff? How is he able to judge your overall performance?(same thing with Lallum as well btw).

By looking at the number of dead/amount of funds/how much people have improved/etc. directly?  

I don't think he ever sees the future or anything like that.  He just gauges how well Roy does, which doesn't require special powers.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

2 hours ago, MetalAmethyst said:

Here's an unpopular opinion: Scarlet is a cool unit and character.

Is it that unpopular? I think most people are just sad she gets shafted in the supports area and literally shafted in every path but Birthright.

1 hour ago, The Strongest Country Girl said:

Okay, I hate every plot in this series about evil nobles conspiring against a noble blood-monarch. This is really ever-present and undercuts the hints of anti-monarchist sentiment that crops up in a few games. Can't help but imagine IntSys' writers collectively seething about the Magna Carta.

Echoes completely drops the ball on Alm and Celica's character development towards the end. Instead of a thesis-antithesis-synthesis structure to their conflicting perspectives, Alm is made to be right about everything and Celica's made to be wrong. This would be fine if everything about the ending didn't suggest the former happened, which is awkward and unearned. A lot happens to throw Celica's relationship with her party into question, but we never see interaction between her and any of them after this.

Libra is the only acceptable boy to ship Lissa with because their supports allow her to express desire in a really genuine way. Lissa is probably gay but should not date Maribelle.

Corrin and Xander shouldn't have sex. Micaiah is the pettiest and thirstiest lord and I love her.

I thought that this was all serious, but as it went on, I became unsure how much was jokes or not.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

List of FE Lords who has "too much spotlight"

• Marth
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Ike
  • Ike again
  • Chrom
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Whoever FE16's Lord is

Just a small gripe here, you forgot to put Celica.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Because unlike other lords who have flaws or atleast have a good personality,

Except he does have a good personality. If you want a Lord with no personality, look no further than Shitgurd.

Roy is the most intelligent and the most respected for some reason.

Hmm, funny, this applies to almost every Lord.

Since the game makes him so almighty, he can easily do it himself without being spoonfeed about it. Its really difficult for me to accept him as a character seeing that he can pretty much do what he wants to do.

Yep, this is one of your usual FE6 rants.

Roy isn't almighty. He's smart, yes, but he's more brains than brawn. He's pretty average as a fighter and this reflects onto his gameplay preformence. That is until you get the Binding Blade but the Binding Blade is the 3rd most powerful sword in the series, tied with Ragnell iirc. So really, it's the Binding Blade that is carrying Roy's strength.

Roy's also got an inferiority complex as well. That's a flaw. If you want a character with no flaws, just look at Sigurd and Alm (though Alm can be forgiven since he's got an amazing personality).

Because he's a spy and spies usually are the ones that can get information.

Why would Astore go to the Isles in the first? In Ch.8, he said he was gathering information in Lycia. The Isles were never mentioned.

Honestly, this really does sound like you're just nitpicking and unnecessarily complaining about FE6....again. None of this is an unpopular opinion. You could've just said "FE6 is not a good game" and called it a day. But instead, you claimed a plot point doesn't make sense (it does, btw), and then you start to nitpick, etc etc.

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Just a small gripe here, you forgot to put Celica.

Ehhh. She's debatable. 

Edited by Armagon

2 hours ago, MetalAmethyst said:

Good news, I think quite a few others like her too. I'd agree with it as well.

Also @Harvey, just calm down. We all have differing opinions on BB, and there's no need to derail the thread like this when it's about opinions.

As for myself (knowing I'm about to be a hypocrite):

The worst part of Conquest isn't chapter 10, it's not the last 2 chapters and it's (Somehow) not the journey to Hoshido (aka chapter 16-21 (aka This is fun. Right? RIGHT?)). It's Treason. It's not even the whole map's fault. It's down to the last thing: INFINITE. STAVES. ON THE END BOSS. Genealogy was bad enough with it, but it didn't have an incurable status that drops your HP by half. FOR THE WHOLE MAP. Which you're also going to be in range of early on. Fuck Treason Iago and fuck Hexing Rod is what I'm saying. 

Anyone else feel like the Fates weapons named for specific units are underwhelming overall?

I also liked weapons with skills on them. Even if it was usually broken.

Just now, Dayni said:

INFINITE.  STAVES.  ON THE END BOSS.  Genealogy was bad enough with it, but it didn't have an incurable status that drops your HP by half.  FOR THE WHOLE MAP.  Which you're also going to be in range of early on.  Fuck Treason Iago and fuck Hexing Rod is what I'm saying. 

Ugh.  Don't remind me.

Restore staves would've been sorely appreciated in Fates.

6 hours ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I think that's only an unpopular opinion among the writing staff at IS.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Except he does have a good personality. If you want a Lord with no personality, look no further than Shitgurd.

Also what? Sigurd's a play on the standard noble hero. He's really not much different than Marth or Eliwood, only he's propped up like way more of a ruthless, independent badass. He goes on a warpath because one of his friends got kidnapped incidentally at the very beginning of the game.

The rest of gen 1 has him acting more or less how you'd expect someone like Marth or Eliwood to act if they had more agency except

the whole point is how being a dude who incites continental war because of your personal friends(And family later) makes you the perfect target for corrupt lords.

You could argue that he doesn't go through the growth that the other lords do, but that's kind of the point.

If you don't like him, fine. This is the unpopular opinions thread, but doing shit like calling him "Shitgurd" is not a good way to go about it.

Edited by Slumber

Don't burn me at the steak for what I am about to say...

I like Kris.

There should have been a Lyn/Nils support.

Cordelia is overrated.

Archanea/Elibe > Jugdral/Tellius

Kris >>>>> Robin/Corrin

Draug is one of the best units in the Archanea series.

Pegasus Knights are extremely fragile units unless they come from Archanea.

Awakening wasted a perfectly good chance to reintroduce the Anima triangle. Why else would there be Fire, Thunder and Wind tomes in each rank? They could've kept everything under one weapon rank and apply it.

Just now, Purple Mage said:

Awakening wasted a perfectly good chance to reintroduce the Anima triangle. Why else would there be Fire, Thunder and Wind tomes in each rank? They could've kept everything under one weapon rank and apply it.

Alternatively, they could have given us "light" and "heavy" weapon variants like in the Tellius games and the existence of separate elements under one Tome Rank wouldn't seem so weird.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Alternatively, they could have given us "light" and "heavy" weapon variants like in the Tellius games and the existence of separate elements under one Tome Rank wouldn't seem so weird.

That was always a system I liked. In a game with a constitution system, it could be a really neat way to make sure high-constitution units can always put their con to use, while low con ones never get weighed down.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Hide contents

List of FE Lords who have "too much spotlight"

• Marth
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Ike
  • Ike again
  • Chrom
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Whoever FE16's Lord is

Wait, who's that? I don't recognize that name. Is he one of the Warriors OCs they're coming out with? I think I remember seeing that name mentioned talking about Warriors. Also, doesn't Lucina get a decent amount of spotlight in her game as well?

In all seriousness, if you guys think Harvey's just ranting, why even acknowledge any of his rants in the first place? You guys could just ignore him, but every time I've seen him ranting on SF you at least are invariably not far behind telling him his rant is a load of bull. Why bother when you know a) he's not going to listen to you and b) you're supposedly 'right' whatever that word means? So you know the game more than he does, or at least are able to argue your points better. Who cares? Why is it so important for you guys to just keep at each other? I know it sounds like I'm only blasting the people who disagree with his rants, but I do agree with you guys on some of your points. I'm just kind of tired of seeing Harvey on any post and knowing that within one page I'll find someone(usually you) telling him he's wrong. I don't even know what else the two of you do on this Forum because I've only ever seen you guys when you're duking it out.

On Topic:

Generic Lord-type characters that always follow the same stereotypes or character traits are actually rather enjoyable, even if only to poke fun at.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Also what? Sigurd's a play on the standard noble hero. He's really not much different than Marth or Eliwood, only he's propped up like way more of a badass. He goes on a warpath because one of his friends got kidnapped incidentally at the very beginning of the game.

The rest of gen 1 has him acting more or less how you'd expect someone like Marth or Eliwood to act except

Hide contents

the whole point is how being a dude who incites continental war because of your personal friends makes you the perfect target for corrupt lords.

You could argue that he doesn't go through the growth that the other lords do, but that's kind of the point.

The thing i don't like about Sigurd though, is that he's basically this perfect figure with no weakness. Now, i wouldn't have minded that, except he doesn't even have a good personality (granted, what constitutes as "good" will vary from person to person). Characters like Alm are also perfect Lords, but they at least have a good, memorable personality. Sigurd, on the other hand, is the most boring Lord in my opinion, and it doesn't help that it feels like he's perfection incarnate (apart from getting roasted in the end).

At the very least, however, Sigurd in the manga has a good personality. It's what Sigurd should've been like in the actual game.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Also, doesn't Lucina get a decent amount of spotlight in her game as well?

Her status as a Lord is debatable, as her death doesn't trigger a game over, nor is she required to be deployed. Granted, neither is Robin but his/her death does trigger a game over.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

You guys could just ignore him, but every time I've seen him ranting on SF you at least are invariably not far behind telling him his rant is a load of bull. Why bother when you know a) he's not going to listen to you and b) you're supposedly 'right' whatever that word means? So you know the game more than he does, or at least are able to argue your points better. Who cares? Why is it so important for you guys to just keep at each other? I know it sounds like I'm only blasting the people who disagree with his rants, but I do agree with you guys on some of your points. I'm just kind of tired of seeing Harvey on any post and knowing that within one page I'll find someone(usually you) telling him he's wrong. I don't even know what else the two of you do on this Forum because I've only ever seen you guys when you're duking it out.

Are you specifically referring to me? Because this is the only forum topic where me and Harvey have actually argued.

Edited by Armagon