What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

23 hours ago, CatManThree said:

Virion does not suck in Awakening. His problem is that he is kinda outclassed, and noone ever uses him.

Virion is actually a solid unit. The thing is that he's in the worst class where its range locked. But he gives solid support bonuses and has a good class range even though most of the skills aren't going to help him that much.

Still, unlike a whole lot of FE games, he's your only legit archer you get besides Noire.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Virion is actually a solid unit. The thing is that he's in the worst class where its range locked. But he gives solid support bonuses and has a good class range even though most of the skills aren't going to help him that much.

Still, unlike a whole lot of FE games, he's your only legit archer you get besides Noire.

The issue I've always had with Virion is he's never done better for me than anyone else at either of his other two Class Trees - Mage and I believe Wyvern Rider. Robin does everything a Mage does and also carries a Sword just in case, and even disregarding that I have both Miriel and Ricken, then later Tharja and Henry, so it's not like I'm short on Magic users. As for Wyvern Rider, I've never felt the need to have a solid Axe Unit in Awakening, and even when I wanted one I just reclassed Sully instead and she did just fine. As for being an Archer, I'd say Stahl does better but I use Stahl as a Myrmidon instead, so I don't have an awful lot of experience with that. Chrom, however, makes a not-half-bad Archer, as does Lucina.

10 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

The issue I've always had with Virion is he's never done better for me than anyone else at either of his other two Class Trees - Mage and I believe Wyvern Rider. Robin does everything a Mage does and also carries a Sword just in case, and even disregarding that I have both Miriel and Ricken, then later Tharja and Henry, so it's not like I'm short on Magic users. As for Wyvern Rider, I've never felt the need to have a solid Axe Unit in Awakening, and even when I wanted one I just reclassed Sully instead and she did just fine. As for being an Archer, I'd say Stahl does better but I use Stahl as a Myrmidon instead, so I don't have an awful lot of experience with that. Chrom, however, makes a not-half-bad Archer, as does Lucina.

Well Awakening is a game that lets you use whom you want since you can reclass as often as you want. I'm just trying to say that Virion can be usable since he exists in a game where practically anyone can be usable. And even so, those bonuses he gives to all units are really good.

So for my opinion, I honestly don't care how well designed maps are in an FE game simply because regardless of what map you are offered, you still have to pull off some basic thoughts into the map like keeping your units alive or preserving your weapons and money with the exception of FE8, 13 and 14. 

Sure it helps the maps to be more memorable whether it is balanced or not but its not like the ones that have neither of these are going to give you an overall bad experience of the game because of the other things those games have to offer to you like how FE13's main selling point was to have kids and the option to play casually or in FE15's case where the game is experience like more of an RPG game rather than something that is like your usual FE game which adds a mix of RPG and strategy.  

The sheer amount of people who are objectively wrong about things ITT (saying shit like "Seth isn't that good" are you serious right now?) hurts my chest. Anyway.

• Kaga leaving was good for the franchise and for himself (he's the kind of dev who should be making his own games for a niche audience rather than having to adhere to a publisher's guidelines/expectations).
  • FE4 is not that good, but it's not that bad either.
  • FE6 is borderline unplayable garbage. I can't even play long enough to get to chapter 7.
  • Celica did nothing wrong.
  • All 3 routes of Fates are pretty good, and Conquest is the best game in the series in terms of map design. Revelation is middle-of-the-road for the franchise, not the worst game like some people think.
  • Shadow Dragon is criminally underrated. It's my second or third favorite game. It's better than New Mystery.
  • Awakening is terrible, as someone who started with Awakening.
  • Mila's Turnwheel is bad and turns Classic mode into Casual mode.
  • Casual mode in general was a mistake and should be removed in the future.
  • I prefer FE without skills generally (though I think Fates did it best).
  • The swamp maps were some of the most enjoyable in Echoes.
  • Ike is boring, especially in Radiant Dawn. I don't think his VA suits him, either.
  • The "thot" meme is garbage and needs to die soon. Attractive female character =/= "that hoe over there."
  • Ests are statistically bad but are fun to train in casual runs.
  • FE7 is the best GBA game. FE8 is alright, but I think the early game is a little boring.
  • Est is not an actual Est in Echoes, she isn't nearly as underleveled as Ests usually are.
  • Kozaki's art is fine, I don't see what's so bad about it.
  • Story doesn't matter to the quality of a video game.

56 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Kaga leaving was good for the franchise and for himself (he's the kind of dev who should be making his own games for a niche audience rather than having to adhere to a publisher's guidelines/expectations).

Not sure if I can agree with this. I mean, Thracia 776 wouldn't have existed without him....

57 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

FE6 is borderline unplayable garbage. I can't even play long enough to get to chapter 7.

Have you heard of Rutger? He's our lord and saviour! 

Seriously though, its not unplayable. It just has a lot of issues that make it more of an annoyance.

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:
  • Celica did nothing wrong.

She practically sacrificed her life inexchange of saving Alm but that didn't work either way. Then there's also the fact that she left Alm's side for just getting mad at his decisions of leading the deliverance to the war. Doesn't hinder the plot but it doesn't mean that she did nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Story doesn't matter to the quality of a video game.

This is why I will always refer to Fates as a better game than Genealogy of the Holy War.  If the story is good, but the game is a slog to play, then you're better off reading a book.

34 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Not sure if I can agree with this. I mean, Thracia 776 wouldn't have existed without him....

Thracia 776 existing can be good or bad depending on who you are.  I say this even as someone who likes Thracia 776 a lot despite still not being able to beat it.

45 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Thracia is decent. People overrate it a little bit, but it isn't bad either.

46 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Have you heard of Rutger? He's our lord and saviour! 

Seriously though, its not unplayable. It just has a lot of issues that make it more of an annoyance.

I didn't say it was too hard. It's just boring.

46 minutes ago, Harvey said:

She practically sacrificed her life inexchange of saving Alm but that didn't work either way. Then there's also the fact that she left Alm's side for just getting mad at his decisions of leading the deliverance to the war. Doesn't hinder the plot but it doesn't mean that she did nothing wrong.

"X character did nothing wrong" is a meme. My point was that Celica's actions were largely inoffensive overall and people give her too much heat for being 17.

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

This is why I will always refer to Fates as a better game than Genealogy of the Holy War.  If the story is good, but the game is a slog to play, then you're better off reading a book.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Thracia is decent. People overrate it a little bit, but it isn't bad either.

14 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Thracia 776 existing can be good or bad depending on who you are.  I say this even as someone who likes Thracia 776 a lot despite still not being able to beat it.

Say what you will about Thracia as a whole, but I'd argue that it IS one of the more important entries in the franchise. It's arguably the first time we got a Fire Emblem that resembles Fire Emblem that still exists today, and many gameplay conventions that it introduced and normalized are still around today.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Say what you will about Thracia as a whole, but I'd argue that it IS one of the more important entries in the franchise. It's arguably the first time we got a Fire Emblem that resembles Fire Emblem that still exists today, and many gameplay conventions that it introduced and normalized are still around today.

FE3 is pretty close to what we've been getting. Thracia did do a lot that FE still does today, though, for sure.

12 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

FE3 is pretty close to what we've been getting. Thracia did do a lot that FE still does today, though, for sure.

Mystery did a lot to define the class balance as it still exists today, but Thracia's introduction of rescue(Eventually pair-up), support bonuses, fog of war and varied mission objectives, as well as the implementation of the weapon triangle and skills from Genealogy make Thracia feel a lot more in-line with modern FE than Mystery, which lacks these things.

lol forgot support bonuses were introduced IN Mystery. The rest stands.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:
  • Mila's Turnwheel is bad and turns Classic mode into Casual mode.
  • Casual mode in general was a mistake and should be removed in the future.

Just asking for your opinion, and nothing more, but what do you believe permadeath adds that cause you to hate both Casual mode and Mila's Turnwheel? I personally don't like how the series has handled permadeath in Fire Emblem for mechanical reasons, so I'm curious why people enjoy it.

(I do like permadeath in other games though, just not in Fire Emblem, btw.)

The swamp maps were some of the most enjoyable in Echoes.

HOW?!?!?! Right, unpopular opinions. Right. Still, HOW?!?!?!?!

• Est is not an actual Est in Echoes, she isn't nearly as underleveled as Ests usually are.
  • Kozaki's art is fine, I don't see what's so bad about it.
  • Story doesn't matter to the quality of a video game.
  • She kind of is, and Jesse is also an "Est" unit. They're just easier to use because both A. They have better base stats than the typical Est units, so they're usuable, yet not great from the start, and B. The upside of having a small cast (and bonus exp) is that everyone has a use, so they have a chance to gain experience without as much effort as one would in other games. I've heard that Tharcia 776 has Est units shine due to it's "use everyone" mechanics as well.
  • Agreed. It's not great, and I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the designs look ridiculous, but the classes look like they fit their purpose. Yeah, the knights armor in this game look  impractical, but they also look like their high defense is justified. I would be complaining if the high defense knights looked like their armor was made of cardboard and it seemed as if I could flick them over. There are much better designs than his however.
  • That depends on a lot of factors. Some games that don't need a good story because the gameplay is the main focus, thus why Mario games are popular despite having a simple plot, while the story of some games can be the sole reason one may play it, despite the medicore or average gameplay (Planescape: Torment and KOTOR 2 fall into this category). Of course, both of these can be done badly, hence the complaint against "movie" games, where the story is admittadly great, but the lack of gameplay hurts the experience, while the lack of a good story can bring down an otherwise solid or excellent game a few pegs, which is the major complaint against Fates.
Edited by Hawkwing

32 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Mystery did a lot to define the class balance as it still exists today, but Thracia's introduction of rescue(Eventually pair-up), support bonuses, fog of war and varied mission objectives, as well as the implementation of the weapon triangle and skills from Genealogy make Thracia feel a lot more in-line with modern FE than Mystery, which lacks these things.

lol forgot support bonuses were introduced IN Mystery. The rest stands.

Just out of curiosity, just how many games have objective variety, fog of war and the rescue command? Also support bonuses were a thing in Gaiden as well..

Not saying that I agree with the OP, its just that I don't recall many FE games that give you tons of objective varieties besides a few others. 

53 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

RPGs are one of those genres where stories are well written. If the game gives you a good story, why not appreciate it instead of complaining about the gameplay?

25 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

She kind of is, and Jesse is also an "Est" unit. 

I disagree that Jesse is an est. He has good bases for his join time and he doesn't come too late in Celica's route either. Also, he's in a class that is considered one of the best in the entire game.

Edited by Harvey

22 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Just out of curiosity, just how many games have objective variety, fog of war and the rescue command? Also support bonuses were a thing in Gaiden as well..

FE6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 all have Fog of War.

FE6-10 all have rescue, Awakening and Fates have Pair-up

FE6 goes back to only defeat boss/seize, but FE7, 8, 9, 10, and Fates all have at least one of the Escape/Defend/Survive objectives. Most I can think of have at least Defend and Survive, and Path of Radiance brought back Escape and introduced the Arrive variant(Which is really just "Seize" without the throne/gate and without needing the Lord).

And no? Gaiden doesn't have support bonuses. Bond/support bonuses were introduced in FE3.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

FE6-12 all have rescue, Awakening and Fates have Pair-up

I just beated FE12 and I saw no rescue command at all...

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

FE6 goes back to only defeat boss/seize, but FE7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and Fates all have at least one of the Escape/Defend/Survive objectives. Most I can think of have at least Defend and Survive, and Path of Radiance brought back Escape and introduced the Arrive variant(Which is really just "Seize" without the throne/gate and without needing the Lord).

Don't know about 9 & 10 but 12 didn't have much of variety in objectives either. The only other objective it had was just rout the enemies...

Anyways, that's like only about four games besides FE5. The other FE games that didn't have object variety are too huge in numbers though...but I do admit that having objective variety is a good thing only to broaden the strategy further.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

And no? Gaiden doesn't have support bonuses. Bond/support bonuses were introduced in FE3.

Alm and Celica can support each other in gaiden although its a small bonus that it hardly matters...

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

FE6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and Fates(IIRC) all have Fog of War.

FE6-12 all have rescue, Awakening and Fates have Pair-up

FE6 goes back to only defeat boss/seize, but FE7, 8, 9, 10, and Fates all have at least one of the Escape/Defend/Survive objectives. Most I can think of have at least Defend and Survive, and Path of Radiance brought back Escape and introduced the Arrive variant(Which is really just "Seize" without the throne/gate and without needing the Lord).

Fates doesn't have Fog.

44 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Just asking for your opinion, and nothing more, but what do you believe permadeath adds that cause you to hate both Casual mode and Mila's Turnwheel? I personally don't like how the series has handled permadeath in Fire Emblem for mechanical reasons, so I'm curious why people enjoy it.

(I do like permadeath in other games though, just not in Fire Emblem, btw.)

HOW?!?!?! Right, unpopular opinions. Right. Still, HOW?!?!?!?!

• She kind of is, and Jesse is also an "Est" unit. They're just easier to use because both A. They have better base stats than the typical Est units, so they're usuable, yet not great from the start, and B. The upside of having a small cast (and bonus exp) is that everyone has a use, so they have a chance to gain experience without as much effort as one would in other games. I've heard that Tharcia 776 has Est units shine due to it's "use everyone" mechanics as well.
  • Agreed. It's not great, and I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the designs look ridiculous, but the classes look like they fit their purpose. Yeah, the knights armor in this game look  impractical, but they also look like their high defense is justified. I would be complaining if the high defense knights looked like their armor was made of cardboard and it seemed as if I could flick them over. There are much better designs than his however.
  • That depends on a lot of factors. Some games that don't need a good story because the gameplay is the main focus, thus why Mario games are popular despite having a simple plot, while the story of some games can be the sole reason one may play it, despite the medicore or average gameplay (Planescape: Torment and KOTOR 2 fall into this category). Of course, both of these can be done badly, hence the complaint against "movie" games, where the story is admittadly great, but the lack of gameplay hurts the experience, while the lack of a good story can bring down an otherwise solid or excellent game a few pegs, which is the major complaint against Fates.

Permadeath adds excitement and it makes Fire Emblem unique next to other TRPGs which usually lack permadeath. It makes Fire Emblem Fire Emblem, in other words. Casual mode detracts from that and causes new players to be worse at the game to boot (same with Turnwheel).

I had fun with the swamp maps. Don't know what else to say.

The last point is yours to believe, but I totally disagree with you.

19 minutes ago, Harvey said:

RPGs are one of those genres where stories are well written. If the game gives you a good story, why not appreciate it instead of complaining about the gameplay?

I didn't buy a video game to play a story. I want to play a game. If the gameplay is shit, why am I playing a game?

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Fates doesn't have Fog.

That was the one I was iffy on. I could have sworn some of the ninja chapters in Conquest did, but I couldn't remember for sure.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I just beated FE12 and I saw no rescue command at all...

Don't know about 9 & 10 but 12 didn't have much of variety in objectives either. The only other objective it had was just rout the enemies...

I probably should have checked with the remakes, too, but I couldn't remember if they had rescue. I thought 12 might, simply because it did adopt a lot of the later FE mechanics, but stayed true in some weird ways.

I also knew FE12 didn't have anything other than seize, so I don't know why I put that in there.

Edited by Slumber

23 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Permadeath adds excitement and it makes Fire Emblem unique next to other TRPGs which usually lack permadeath. It makes Fire Emblem Fire Emblem, in other words. Casual mode detracts from that and causes new players to be worse at the game to boot (same with Turnwheel).

Most people just reset a chapter whenever they lose a unit. All the Turnwheel does is remove the tedium that is reseting a chapter so you can try again and hopefully not get hit by an unlucky crit halfway through the map. The Turnwheel is no different from using a rewind or save state feature in emulators (which is where half of the series will be played on).

The Turnwheel was just a little bit too useful in SoV. If they can just cut down on the number of times it can be used, then it'd be perfect.

Also, nice assumption that people who play Casual Mode are bad at Fire Emblem. I started with Casual Mode in Awakening. As of now, the only FEs i haven't played are Radiant Dawn and FE1. Awakening was the only time i ever played Casual Mode. This whole thing that "Casual Mode makes new players bad" needs to stop, because it's implying that newer players can't learn.

With all that said, i'd rather see Casual Mode gone, as the Turnwheel is a much better alternative.

I'm a permadeath guy. I like Mila's Turnwheel. I think they could nerf it a bit, but it definitely helps undoing unlucky crits that yeah, usually cause a reset from me if I don't decide on a hard Iron Man run.

As opposed to Casual/Phoenix mode, I think higher tiers of difficulty should limit Mila's(Or whatever they replace it with for context) more, while lower difficulties let you use it more liberally.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Most people just reset a chapter whenever they lose a unit. All the Turnwheel does is remove the tedium that is reseting a chapter so you can try again and hopefully not get hit by an unlucky crit halfway through the map.

Resetting is more conducive to learning from your mistakes than getting a free redo button for nothing.

I never said people who played Casual mode were bad (they are, usually, but I didn't say that). Like I said, you don't learn from your mistakes if units are expendable. And different types of strategies are more viable in Casual, which would be unusable in normal FE gameplay.

Eh..I say that those with casual mode can use weak units as bait to trick enemies way too easily so even casual mode kinda has some fun thing to it.

However I think a turnwheel is way different than having casual mode. When using the turn wheel and running out of it, you have to be stuck with units that you lose AND potentially forcing yourself to start the whole thing over again. Casual modes often have battle saves that atleast let you resume to a point where you last save.

Turnwheel isn't a good replacement tool for casual gamers as all it's going to do is to make casuals get frustrated often. It's best for older fans because they can easily rectify their mistakes. 

The issue I had with the Turnwheel was that you never actually ran out of uses…like, ever. The only time I ran out was during Duma Tower, and that was my first death in the game so I just went to one of the resurrection springs and fixed the problem. Basically, if we're getting another Turnwheel in the future, it would be better to balance it by both reducing uses AND not giving a resurrection spring/Aum equivalent.

I honestly hope Casual mode never leaves because I like playing on both Classic or Casual depending on my mood. Classic if I feel like having a challenge, Casual if I just want to enjoy the game.

I do agree with @YouSquiddinMe insofar as Casual Mode and save states / unlimited map saves (and probably the Turnwheel as well) give the player less incentive to become better at the game than the classic perma-death version of the game. Even if you don't use these tools to find a fitting RNG string for your 10%-strat to work, they still allow you to just go trial-and-error instead doing stuff like checking individual enemy ranges, or calculate damage rolls and hit rates beforehand, in order to gauge the risks you're taking instead of ramming your head against the wall until you find a weak enough spot. ;)

My personal favourite was the compromise the DS games made in form of the save points - they're limited both numerically and in when you're able to put down a save, but they're still great to have when you're dealing with some of FE12's nastier ambush spawns. That said...

8 minutes ago, Jave said:

I honestly hope Casual mode never leaves because I like playing on both Classic or Casual depending on my mood. Classic if I feel like having a challenge, Casual if I just want to enjoy the game.

Yup, I agree. It's just a game, after all, and if a player just wants to screw around, I'm perfectly fine with the newer FE games giving them the opportunity to do so. I would hope that Classic mode will still be the mode the game is balanced around (so, no maps where you're supposed to throw a unit to the wolves or something like that), but I don't think the existance of a casual mode is any more harmful than the Chieftain difficulty is for the Civ series. ;)

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I disagree that Jesse is an est. He has good bases for his join time and he doesn't come too late in Celica's route either. Also, he's in a class that is considered one of the best in the entire game.

Well, he could be considered one from a certain point of view, but I'm not that knowledgable on character Archetypes anyway, so I don't know what else to call him. He joins later, has great growths, workable base stats, and is in a very good class, so I don't know if that makes him one of the better "Est" archetypes, or if he fulfills a different role entirely.

3 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

The last point is yours to believe, but I totally disagree with you.

I know. I've seen this argument before, and I can understand both sides. I enjoy both story driven and gameplay driven games about equally myself, and I can see why people could prefer one over the over. As I said in my original post however, it depends on a lot of factors to determine whether or not a game needed a better story or if it needed better gameplay, or if it worked fine the way it was.

3 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I honestly see permadeath as a staple of TRPG's and strategy games as a whole, though not a guideline that every game needs to follow, so I don't see it unique to Fire Emblem. The fact that Fire Emblem gives you a limited amount of units that have names is what makes the series unique (the limited part being my major gripe with the implementation of the mechanic, but that's an discussion for a different time).

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Most people just reset a chapter whenever they lose a unit. All the Turnwheel does is remove the tedium that is reseting a chapter so you can try again and hopefully not get hit by an unlucky crit halfway through the map. The Turnwheel is no different from using a rewind or save state feature in emulators (which is where half of the series will be played on).

The Turnwheel was just a little bit too useful in SoV. If they can just cut down on the number of times it can be used, then it'd be perfect.

Also, nice assumption that people who play Casual Mode are bad at Fire Emblem. I started with Casual Mode in Awakening. As of now, the only FEs i haven't played are Radiant Dawn and FE1. Awakening was the only time i ever played Casual Mode. This whole thing that "Casual Mode makes new players bad" needs to stop, because it's implying that newer players can't learn.

With all that said, i'd rather see Casual Mode gone, as the Turnwheel is a much better alternative.

I honestly hate resetting, and wonder why some people are fine with it. The levels of Fire Emblem aren't short, and I hate throwing away any kind of progress in general.

Agreed, even if it is a common sentiment that I'd expect to happen anyway. SoV had dungeons, so having a few extra uses made sense, even if they did go a bit overboard.

I always saw casual mode as an introduction to the mechanics without permanently loosing units. Besides, units you loose in the fight aren't going to be gaining any experience or support anytime soon, so the player is still punished for their mistakes. I was aiming to play the game on classic mode the moment I felt that I had the mechanics down. I also saw it as a good way to test the waters on the higher difficulties, as playing the hard difficulty with casual mode opened my eyes to the bullcrap difficult balancing that Awakening had. Seriously, I lost track of the amount of times I put a healer outside the line of fire, only for those A-hole reinforecements to appear and attack a supposed "safe" zone.

Also agreed. Having both casual mode and the Turnwheel in the same game was overkill frankly.

Resetting is more conducive to learning from your mistakes than getting a free redo button for nothing.

Heck no. Most of my mistakes came from a single bad decision, or simple bad luck. Having to redo an entire map because I misread an enemies stat, or a single dastard got lucky, is honestly the reason why. The only times I would really reset would be if the situation was FUBAR, and/or I chose the wrong man for the wrong job, and/or I underestimated the enemies strength, or any other situation that would warrant one.

1 hour ago, ping said:

My personal favourite was the compromise the DS games made in form of the save points - they're limited both numerically and in when you're able to put down a save, but they're still great to have when you're dealing with some of FE12's nastier ambush spawns. That said...

The thing with save states is that it does jack sh*t if you save in a situation where you could have undone a mistake that was made earlier in the level, or if you realize that you've brought the wrong team for the job. The turnwheel solves the former problem, while reseting solves the latter.

It might be bad past experiences with saving at bad times in other games fueling my reluctance with save states though.