What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Bow users were never bad, people were just bad at using them so they said 2 range lock was a big deal. The problem is most early archers have terrible stats giving the class bad reputation, but thats not a class problem, its the character thats bad. Effective damage vs flying is something you always want to have acess in any game, dont bench your archers guys

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DeviantMind said:

Bow users were never bad, people were just bad at using them so they said 2 range lock was a big deal. The problem is most early archers have terrible stats giving the class bad reputation, but thats not a class problem, its the character thats bad. Effective damage vs flying is something you always want to have acess in any game, dont bench your archers guys

The thing with me is that I never had a reason to field Archers. Mages already attack from a range without the handicap and if you give them a wind tome they often get the anti flyer trait of  archers as well. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

You don't need effective damage vs fliers in FE1, FE2, FE3 Book 1, FE4, FE5, FE7, FE8, FE9, FE10, FE11, FE13, all variations of FE14, and FE15.

5 hours ago, Refa said:

You don't need effective damage vs fliers in FE1, FE2, FE3 Book 1, FE4, FE5, FE7, FE8, FE9, FE10, FE11, FE13, all variations of FE14, and FE15.

I'd argue you don't need it in Binding Blade during the midgame either, while we're talking about how Archers are useless unless you like them. So that leaves…the two ends of BB and New Mystery?

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'd argue you don't need it in Binding Blade during the midgame either, while we're talking about how Archers are useless unless you like them. So that leaves…the two ends of BB and New Mystery?

Well, it's good enough during the early/late game that I'd say you need it overall (talking about Hard Mode here)?  In particular, Chapter 7 is such a bitch without it.

6 minutes ago, Refa said:

Well, it's good enough during the early/late game that I'd say you need it overall (talking about Hard Mode here)?  In particular, Chapter 7 is such a bitch without it.

Fair enough, though the only one I ever felt the need to field was Sue because everyone else fell behind because horsies. Were they good in New Mystery? I think that's FE12, and I never played it.

Edited by SoulWeaver
Used the wrong word.

• Yusuke Kozaki's artwork in FE13 looks very nice and I generally like his design sensibilities. I'd have no problems with the designs in FE13 if more of the ladies wore pants (I'm looking at you, Sully). FE14 is more of a mixed bag. (I like bare feet on Corrin, not so much on Azura.)
  • The kid mechanic in Awakening was implemented well. Fates having a marriage system wasn't the problem; the Hyperbolic Time Chamber mechanic to get the kid generation involved, the lack of kid units permitted between the One Gay Couple per game, and the face petting was.
  • On that note, I'm happy they changed the Soleil/Corrin supports. (I still desperately wish she'd stop calling her mom hot, though.)
  • Takumi is the best royal in Fates. 
  • Eliwood is the best Lord in FE7.
  • Eirika and Ephraim are equally dense and short-sighted; Ephraim is Leeroy Jenkins-levels of impulsive and Eirika's naivete doesn't make her worse or stupider.
  • Faye is a good character. Not the best character, but a good one.
  • Idoun is the best final boss in the GBA games, and I dearly hope any FE6 remix both gives that fight some genuine difficulty and also gives her more screentime. (Giving Jahn some more screentime so he comes across less as Exposition Man would also be good.)
  • Casual mode is not a bad thing.
    • Neither is Phoenix mode.

10 minutes ago, Mallow said:
  • ...Fates having a marriage system wasn't the problem; it was the Hyperbolic Time Chamber mechanic to get the kid generation involved, the lack of kid units permitted between the One Gay Couple per game, and the face petting.

How would they have explained the same-sex couples being able to make their own babies when they shouldn't be able to?  Would they just adopt a child only to stick them in the Deeprealms when they should ideally wait until after the war to adopt in the first place?  That would make even less sense than what they did with the naturally born children.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

13 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

How would they have explained the same-sex couples being able to make their own babies when they shouldn't be able to?  Would they just adopt a child only to stick them in the Deeprealms when they should ideally wait until after the war to adopt in the first place?  That would make even less sense than what they did with the naturally born children.

Considering how many orphans of war must exist on this continent given Hoshido and Nohr's constant aggression, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if ANY of the kids were actually taken in from towns ruined by the enemy army.

Or since we have people who were brought here from another universe, and others who are straight-up reincarnations of Ylisse characters, finding children of AU Deeprealms where [insert character here] had a child biologically with Generic Villager or something but pulls classes/stat influences from their parent's partner characterw would sense to me, personally.

23 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think the issue here is that Kana has that dragony dragoness to them- I don't think you can just adopt that. And surrogacy is a complicated mess of an issue (how do you decide who gets to be the mother, and who is the genetic father?) IS would have clear grounds to avoid. 

Nina- well she could easily be adopted because dragoness isn't part of her very character. But then we run into the issue of the Nohr Prince/cess line being inheritable by her, the class that uses Dragonstones, so we still have the dragon issue. This could easily be worked around by making that line uninheritable, like Awakening's Lord, Dancer and Conqueror classes. Both children would inherit Corrin's Heart class, but if Corrin's Heart matched Nina's inheritance from Niles/her base class, then she would get the class parallel (so either Archer or Diviner). This would also work for Kana, since Lucina by starting as a Lord was able to work around the uninheritability of the class.

9 hours ago, Mallow said:

Eirika and Ephraim are equally dense and short-sighted; Ephraim is Leeroy Jenkins-levels of impulsive and Eirika's naivete doesn't make her worse or stupider.

I definitely agree with that - but the game isn't very good at conveying this. Ephraim's overconfidence and battle lust isn't really punished before he tries to 1v1 the demon king (which IS just as dumb as Eirika in her parallel scene), while Eirika constantly needs to be saved - twice by Ephraim, or by Seth when she doesn't see through Orson's act. In the end, although they're both flawed, they just look like the cool twin and the stupid twin. :/

-I think FE should've stuck with sprites (Hand drawn sprites like in Super Robot Wars and animation styles from the GBA games would be pretty Ideal visually for me.)

-I felt that Fates could've handled their Characters much better and that Corrin's pacifist Ideals should've been challenged more heavily or be challenged more often.

-While I think people who don't play SRPGs often and/or are bad at them can play at any difficulty they like I think that everyone should give classic a try at least once as it provides a sense of tension and finishing the game feels even more fulfilling than a casual run.

-FEH was one of the best things to happen to the franchise as not only does it get more people into the franchise but people who don't have much experience with FE games before the 3DS get introduced to older games and characters as well as get attached to them (i.e. Reinhardt was in the 500s in the first CYL and now hes in the top 20.).

2 hours ago, Ximipe said:

-While I think people who don't play SRPGs often and/or are bad at them can play at any difficulty they like I think that everyone should give classic a try at least once as it provides a sense of tension and finishing the game feels even more fulfilling than a casual run.

Eh, Classic's not for everyone - I did Awakening Classic on NORMAL Mode and when I finished my only thought was 'great, now I can be done with this BS and get back to playing Fire Emblem for the quote-unquote "story"' as it managed to just be too obnoxious for me. I look at it as Awakening, Fates, and SoV being meant to be played on Casual/Phoenix(depending on exactly how bad you are or exactly how little you care in Fates), while the older games are for people who want to step it up a bit.

On 31-1-2018 at 4:43 PM, Ximipe said:

-I felt that Fates could've handled their Characters much better and that Corrin's pacifist Ideals should've been challenged more heavily or be challenged more often.

That's kind of the most popular opinion on the site though. Even people who like Fates tend to agree with these things. 

Oh jeez.

• Ike is a boring lord and doesn't deserve the amount of worship he gets.
  • People who make fun of others for the difficulty they choose to play on are jerks; it's a game, it's meant to be fun for anyone playing it.
  • The female lords are generally better than the male ones, but the devs having no idea how to write female characters as protagonists is their downfall again and again.
  • FE4 had the best story, but the gameplay is an absolute slog.
  • The Fateswakening circlejerk of hate is bad, but so is the idea that Fateswakening are the only games that matter in the series.
  • In a game series with established magic and dimension-hopping on multiple occasions, you can explain away same-sex couples having biological children with "there is specific magic to help them". It's not hard and compared to living dead, dimension-hopping, time travel, and also dragons, it's pretty believable. 

5 minutes ago, sumirufus said:
  • In a game series with established magic and dimension-hopping on multiple occasions, you can explain away same-sex couples having biological children with "there is specific magic to help them". It's not hard and compared to living dead, dimension-hopping, time travel, and also dragons, it's pretty believable. 

gets my stamp of approval

12 hours ago, Mallow said:

gets my stamp of approval

I think this is too large a leap. It would make me think of idk, a setting with Sebex or a third gender, rather than a medievel fantasy setting.

Edited by Reality

1 hour ago, Reality said:

I think this is too large a leap. It would make me think of idk, a setting with Sebex or a third gender, rather than a medievel fantasy setting.

Sooo maybe Fire Emblem could have hermaphrodites then?

*cough*, ahem, anyways, I have another unpopular opinion:

-Together We Ride is my least favourite recruitment compared to the other games', even Awakening's. I just find the other recruitment themes better. I also think FE7 had the worst Together We Ride version (I mean, the NES one sort of sounds better to me, I don't really have an answer as to why).

16 hours ago, sumirufus said:

reverse-Futa Magic when?

Because Futa magic in Nasuverse is not enough. We have to go deeper

Edited by Shrimperor

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's kind of the most popular opinion on the site though. Even people who like Fates tend to agree with these things. 

Oh, sorry then. I’m new to the site. I probably should lurk more before commenting in a thread such as this.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:07 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Eh, Classic's not for everyone - I did Awakening Classic on NORMAL Mode and when I finished my only thought was 'great, now I can be done with this BS and get back to playing Fire Emblem for the quote-unquote "story"' as it managed to just be too obnoxious for me. I look at it as Awakening, Fates, and SoV being meant to be played on Casual/Phoenix(depending on exactly how bad you are or exactly how little you care in Fates), while the older games are for people who want to step it up a bit.

You bring up good points, and I’m going to have to agree with you that does seem like a better idea. If they don’t have access to the older games for whatever reason it could be a good introduction to the style of the older games and/or want to get better at SRPGs in general. However some people may not like it when they do try it which is why I meant try. If it’s just too much for someone then they can stick to casual. I don’t really like Phoenix mode because at that point i feel that you may as well watch a walkthrough online but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to support the devs.

7 hours ago, Ximipe said:

You bring up good points, and I’m going to have to agree with you that does seem like a better idea. If they don’t have access to the older games for whatever reason it could be a good introduction to the style of the older games and/or want to get better at SRPGs in general. However some people may not like it when they do try it which is why I meant try. If it’s just too much for someone then they can stick to casual. I don’t really like Phoenix mode because at that point i feel that you may as well watch a walkthrough online but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to support the devs.

My main opinion is that Phoenix Mode was originally designed for people who are just starting Fire Emblem for the very first time, though there are others who may benefit from it as well - it's really helpful to not have to worry about strategy as much when grinding Support levels, for example. I think my main issue with Classic during my one Classic Run in Awakening was that I knew I would still have those characters if I'd just picked Casual, whereas with Binding Blade and Shadow Dragon I just had to go welp, that's just how this one goes. Maybe I'll try a Classic run on Awakening or Fates once I get my Support roster finished off, or to finish the last couple S-Supports for my avatars Arilon and Marita, just for the sake of challenging myself more there.