What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

21 hours ago, cellimen45 said:

true I apologize for not wording correctly I meant fire emblem does not need casual mode.

I mean, you could say the same for plenty of things in FE. But they add more options for different experiences.

I'd say, though, that if FE wants to appeal to a broader audience, then it probably wants (if not needs) casual mode. And thus it helped bring new, previously intimidated folks in.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Corrin is a good character and that the story should be focused around the avatar. In terms of mechanics, that Phoenix Mode is a good thing and kids in Fates were fine, it was just the reasoning behind them that was dumb.

Edited by Maimishou

Corrin's character isn't inherently bad, just that it's covered in thick layers of mud and is missing some things. One thing about this character that I find to be very good A thing I like about his character that's consistent throughout all routes is his reluctance to kill and how he actively tries to find ways to not kill for the sake of war. With him actually managing to find a less violent solution to a problem, even in Conquest. However  Corrin's character is just held back by the nature of Fates. With him acting like a massive idiot in all routes with the lack of any sort of backbone.

Edited by Jerry Kuma

On 7/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

I don't think Mark was a good self insert character, nor do I think robin or Corrin is.

Er, Corrin not being good isn't exactly unpopular. :P Maybe Robin, too, though I think it's more divided with him?

- I really like Birthright's story, that alone made it my favorite of the Fates trio. Sure, it was cliched, but I thought it was pulled off really well. I'd rather have a cliched but well done story over a messy plot that makes no sense and makes you hate the main character (Corrin).

- I dislike Nephenee as both a character and a unit and I find her extremely overrated. Definitely not one of the best units in Radiant Dawn, that's for sure. 

- I like how Radiant Dawn split the characters into different groups and you aren't just playing as one group for the whole game, and I'd like the idea to return in a future Fire Emblem game. I thought that character availability was fine, too, with a couple of exceptions which people blow way out of proportion (like who was actually going to use Tormod or Vika in their endgame teams or even on the Greil Mercs team).

- I think that Eirika was a well written and likeable character. I really liked her love story with Lyon, and her naivety was done well. Her handing over the stone wasn't her fault as she didn't know he was possessed and it was hinted she had feelings for him. I feel like she gets hated on too much as she gets compared to Gary Stu Ephraim, who I dislike as he's portrayed as perfect with no flaws and "doesn't fight battles he can't win". I prefer Eirika to Ephraim by a long way. 

4 hours ago, Lost Impact said:

- I really like Birthright's story, that alone made it my favorite of the Fates trio. Sure, it was cliched, but I thought it was pulled off really well. I'd rather have a cliched but well done story over a messy plot that makes no sense and makes you hate the main character (Corrin).

- I like how Radiant Dawn split the characters into different groups and you aren't just playing as one group for the whole game, and I'd like the idea to return in a future Fire Emblem game. I thought that character availability was fine, too, with a couple of exceptions which people blow way out of proportion (like who was actually going to use Tormod or Vika in their endgame teams or even on the Greil Mercs team).

- I think that Eirika was a well written and likeable character. I really liked her love story with Lyon, and her naivety was done well. Her handing over the stone wasn't her fault as she didn't know he was possessed and it was hinted she had feelings for him. I feel like she gets hated on too much as she gets compared to Gary Stu Ephraim, who I dislike as he's portrayed as perfect with no flaws and "doesn't fight battles he can't win". I prefer Eirika to Ephraim by a long way. 

Agreed with all of these.
Though I personally think it is kind of a shame that you can't really use Vika, seeing as how she's the only Raven aside from Naesala himself.

Some more from me (I hope I don't repeat myself. If I do, I apologize in advance):

• While they certainly are OP as hell, you don't NEED the Laguz Royals to beat Radiant Dawn. You can get by with using the normal Laguz, as well. Volug, Ulki, Ranulf and Skrimir are solid replacements.
  • I think some people are way too sensitive when it comes to Lyn. They either love her (too much) or hate her (too much). Both sides need to seriously chill out.
  • The same goes for Lucina.
  • With that being said, I like both characters. Just not to the extent some of their more, er, devoted fans do
  • Chrom is one of the better male lord characters. Better as in one of the most realistic.
  • No matter what you tell me about FE4's writing quality, the "romance" between Sigurd and Deirdre is nothing short of nonsensical..
  • I still think there shouldn't be a canonical romance / S-support option in a game that gives you a choice who gets hitched with whom (cases in point: Chrom x Sumia, Corrin x Azura).

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Agreed with all of these.
Though I personally think it is kind of a shame that you can't really use Vika, seeing as how she's the only Raven aside from Naesala himself.

Some more from me (I hope I don't repeat myself. If I do, I apologize in advance):

• While they certainly are OP as hell, you don't NEED the Laguz Royals to beat Radiant Dawn. You can get by with using the normal Laguz, as well. Volug, Ulki, Ranulf and Skrimir are solid replacements.
  • I think some people are way too sensitive when it comes to Lyn. They either love her (too much) or hate her (too much). Both sides need to seriously chill out.
  • The same goes for Lucina.
  • With that being said, I like both characters. Just not to the extent some of their more, er, devoted fans do
  • Chrom is one of the better male lord characters. Better as in one of the most realistic.
  • No matter what you tell me about FE4's writing quality, the "romance" between Sigurd and Deirdre is nothing short of nonsensical..
  • I still think there shouldn't be a canonical romance / S-support option in a game that gives you a choice who gets hitched with whom (cases in point: Chrom x Sumia, Corrin x Azura).

How could you forget about poor Nealuchi?

1. Agreed, I've used pretty much every laguz character in a normal mode run and they've turned out just as good as the royals. I'm also possibly the biggest Mordecai fan, he's a solid unit and excellent mobile tank.

2. Agreed for both Lyn and Lucina, although I'm not a fan of them personally I don't mind them that much.

3. I can see that.

4. Agreed.

5. Agreed definitely. 

A few more from me:

• I don't like the vast majority of the "canonical" lord pairings, especially Micaiah x Sothe and Eirika x Seth. 
  • I really like the overconfident archer archetype in Fire Emblem, especially Innes and Takumi. The only one I really dislike is Shinon.
  • I dislike Axe users in general and barely ever use them. 
  • I enjoy training the thief/rogue characters and using them for combat more than the myrmidon characters. 

1 hour ago, Mister Rogers said:

i think the myrmidon archetype of "wandering swordsman with edgy attitude" is boring.

Replace "with edgy attitude" with "who wants to be the best" and I would agree with you.  To me, this is the most boring direction you could possibly take with a character.  (Fir, Guy, and Hana are the examples that come to mind.)

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

31 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Replace "with edgy attitude" with "who wants to be the best and I would agree with you".  To me, this is the most boring direction you could possibly take with a character.  (Fir, Guy, and Hana are the examples that come to mind.)

To be fair to Hana, there is an implied sexist patriarchy that she's fighting against. Otherwise, no arguments here, as I'm indifferent to the archetype.

Edited by Motendra

• 5 months later...

Hmm, Unpopular opinions....

Fates isn't as bad as they say. Story may be meh, but the cast aside from the fanservice is colorful and does a fair bit of world building in the supports. Also the games themselves play well (aside from archers being innacurate versus flying mages but I digress) and the mechanics feel strange, almost like they don't belong in FE, like a training excercise in what does and doesn't work.

Thracia is meh (not sure how popular/unpopular this is). The story is good, but the gameplay to me is mediocre (last dying words).  That and, I guess I was tired of the Genealogy gameplay and the mile long maps so I just got tired of having to walk for 10 minutes to get anywhere. (Still love Leif and Altena though)

And Robin is Inigo's Cannon dad cause of Fates and Awakening hints, between Inigo being really close with Rob (lnigo literally saying "you've always been able to see through me" while talking to Rob) and well, Olivia and Robin's interactions outside of supports (literally in Inigo's recruiting chapter) and their support needing it to be somebody close to Chrom (who also get's anrgy at tactical meetings)that's my objective pairing (I don't pair per tastes much, if I did, it may be somebody else)

^^^^^^^^^^

(probably what some may call the dumbest and or stupidest opinion around, so I'm expecting this one. )

That's about it. I guess I'll try to remember more later.

Camilla is actually better developed (not in the obvious way) than most of the other Fates royals. Where Hinoka, Takumi, Ryoma, Leo, Corin, Azura and Xander all massively have their flaws glossed over in supports and many times in story, Camilla being a creepy bloodthirsty lunatic with severe separation anxiety is emphasized in both. Sure, it's overplayed, but over-emphasis on negative character aspects is better than trying to brush them under the rug, if only because at least then everyone can see it to complain.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:07 AM, Lost Impact said:
  • I dislike Axe users in general and barely ever use them. 
  • I enjoy training the thief/rogue characters and using them for combat more than the myrmidon characters. 

These. I need axe users but frequently I hate the characters behind the units and choose not to use them. I really love using the thieves and rogues for combat as well (and their animations are always so nice) but then they fall off pretty hard a lot of the time.

I really like Camilla, she's by far my favorite Fates royal. Sue me.

I could defend my position if you want me to, but I get tired of saying that "no, I'm not just interested in her boobs, there's actually an interesting character there."

On the contrary, I really don't like Lyn or Celica. I think Lyn is pretty bland and is a terrible unit, and Celica makes some decisions that I either think aren't smart or aren't decisions I would ever make, which makes it hard for me to like her.

These are all just my opinions. Genealogy is a bad game. Even BiB (one of the weakest FE games excluding the games that got a remake) of all things might actually be better than it IMHO. I guess I can say the same thing about SS (though I doubt that it's an unpopular opinion as it's rather easy to see the flaws like in BiB's case) and RD (way too ambitious like Fates tho I think Fates was more misleading than trying to ambitious). Guess I'll throw in FE7. Once you dig deeper it's not all that much hyped as some would say it is.

FE games aren't all that great in general. Every single title has significant issues to talk about. Even Echoes, one of my favorite games of all time, falls flat in a bunch of areas, e.g the story the more along it goes (like a certain Wii title).

While Kaga does a lot of cool shit in his games, the map design of his older games range from bad to "unique". Story-wise they're great tho

Revelations is my favourite FE-Fates game. Sure, it doesn't have a great plot, but gameplay is real cool, and who cares about plot when you can just embellish it with AUs and stuff. Also, my Avatar makes a great Hero or Blacksmith but I can change her class with Friendship Seals so I can get awesome skills for her. Since it was my first FE Game (excluding Birthright), I guess I did need a game with decent gameplay to help introduce me to the series.

While we're in Fates territory, I don't think Ryoma is anywhere near as clichéd or whatever as everyone thinks he is - at least not in my AU. As the eldest brother he does have this sense of responsibility and care towards his siblings, which I can relate to as the only child with cats and sometimes classmates to look after.

Spoiler

And he handles Corrin's "betrayal" much better than Xander, as he genuinely cares for Corrin unlike Xander (who just wants to kill them) and even his suicide is his trying to save either Corrin's sanity (if they killed him) or their life (if they refused and either Garon or Iago killed them both), so the whole "Honour Before Reason" thing is rubbish.

But of course he isn't perfect. I get the feeling he sometimes gets kinda awkward at times in social situations outside of battle. Also, when you S-Support him, I get the feeling he acts like a cat in the Private Quarters (his "kiss" quote reminds me of my cat Lyla).

And you know, some memes are not really all that great IMO, they seem to strip all meaning from some Fire Emblem games at times. 'specially with Fates... urrgh!

Those who hate on Awakening and Fates that much sound kinda like Genwunners in the Pokémon fandom IMO.

But I haven't played much FE besides Fates and Warriors, so I guess this is all I've got.

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053