What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

My FE sorter results show my unpopular opinions. Here are my bottom 39 and top 25.

Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 9.02.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 9.02.20 AM.png

Edited by Tuvy2
Rearranged

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I used one of those for another series. It was pretty shocking to see just how accurate it was. 

We actually had an FFtF topic some time ago where everyone posted their FE results. My results weren't perfect, it might be because some of my opinions have changed, but even then I noted it wasn't totally accurate later on in the results. And a certain mod will perma-ban me for who ended up being dead last- no character hate for them FYI.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We actually had an FFtF topic some time ago where everyone posted their FE results. My results weren't perfect, it might be because some of my opinions have changed, but even then I noted it wasn't totally accurate later on in the results. And a certain mod will perma-ban me for who ended up being dead last- no character hate for them FYI.

The most surprising thing was Ephraim, your least favourite lord, being on par with Zelgius and Ike despite you being indifferent to Ike and Zelgius being Sephiran's right hand man. My result isn't too accurate anymore either. Zelgius has dropped a lot and is no longer top 5 in my list. Jill has dropped out of the top 10. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:00 AM, Flere210 said:

Awakening and Fates are like that because we live in the era defined by SAO and similar light novels. 

ehh I'd say awakening fits more in line with the shounen crowd than garbage haremy isekai light novels. Fates is light novel trash that much I agree with but awakening reminds me more of stuff like soul eater, naruto, bleach, etc. as far as tone, themes, and characters are concerned.

41 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

The most surprising thing was Ephraim, your least favourite lord, being on par with Zelgius and Ike despite you being indifferent to Ike and Zelgius being Sephiran's right hand man. My result isn't too accurate anymore either. Zelgius has dropped a lot and is no longer top 5 in my list. Jill has dropped out of the top 10. 

I'm not quite sure how that came to be either, and I'm pretty sure that I already had my falling out with Ephraim by that point. Yet somehow he came to rank as 77 with ten other characters. I mean I try not to hate, but that is still too generous.

Zelgius and Ike being on par suits my thoughts on them, that although they do obviously have their differences, Zelgius and Ike are birds of a feather. Fairly stoic with a liking for battle, of blue hair alike too, and trained under the same master. One I guess could also parallel Soren and Sephiran- the mage accompanying the sword, albeit in reversed roles, like Micaiah and Sothe.

Stefan I think could fall as well from my list. We do get snippets of his various sides, but rereading the Soren support, I think he is little too... angsty? He needed more interactions for what appears to be a good character. I don't get how Calill ended so high at that moment, and L'Arachel has lost her luster for me. Jill could likely fall a bit, I rated her primarily on being a side character but having a full arc in PoR, which is very unusual in FE and very praiseworthy. Elincia on the other hand could stand to gain, but I'm not sure over who.

I think right now, my most popular opinion that I hold near and dear is that I like all of the maps in Gaiden/Echoes, especially the desert/swamp ones.

I can definitely see why people who like the other games more would be turned off by them, but feel that the hate they get is largely unwarranted. The design / forcing players to make choices is definitely there, but it's different than smooth buttery cavalry rushes so it's uncomfortable to play.

IMO, any map that makes the player feel uncomfortable is pretty good for a strategy game.

I feel as though I have always liked the least popular games in the series, (SD, Gaiden, Thracia, Binding) the most. As a player I don't see all the "improvements" of the new games and don't understand the bashing of the older games' simplicity. My biggest pet peeve is when older games are described as "unplayable". Radiant Dawn to me is "unplayable" but that's because of my personal tastes and not my suggestion that the game is fundamentally broken or no longer good by objective standards.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not quite sure how that came to be either, and I'm pretty sure that I already had my falling out with Ephraim by that point. Yet somehow he came to rank as 77 with ten other characters. I mean I try not to hate, but that is still too generous.

Zelgius and Ike being on par suits my thoughts on them, that although they do obviously have their differences, Zelgius and Ike are birds of a feather. Fairly stoic with a liking for battle, of blue hair alike too, and trained under the same master. One I guess could also parallel Soren and Sephiran- the mage accompanying the sword, albeit in reversed roles, like Micaiah and Sothe.

Stefan I think could fall as well from my list. We do get snippets of his various sides, but rereading the Soren support, I think he is little too... angsty? He needed more interactions for what appears to be a good character. I don't get how Calill ended so high at that moment, and L'Arachel has lost her luster for me. Jill could likely fall a bit, I rated her primarily on being a side character but having a full arc in PoR, which is very unusual in FE and very praiseworthy. Elincia on the other hand could stand to gain, but I'm not sure over who.

You mentioned you're not a fan of any of the protagonists save Hector so it stands to reason as far as top 15 go, you're a fan of them. Where is the cutoff between you being a fan of a character and not? For me, I'd say I'm a fan of ten characters. The top 5 a lot more than the top 10. 

I've already sort of said this in an earlier post on this thread waaay back but I'd like to elaborate on it a bit more. I honestly do not see how people can say severa is a "better" character in fates than she is in awakening cause if anything she's worse. The reason being is that in fates she lacks a lot of the nuance of that made her a good character in the first place. I mean in awakening as abrasive as she was there was an underlying reason behind that abrasiveness as explained in a good number of her supports and DLC conversations. This made her character(at least to me) feel real, nuanced, and relatable but in fates a lot of that nuance is just sort of thrown out the window in favor of generic tsundere number 537. Like in her S support with Silas she tells him to love her more than their child which knowing her character from awakening is something she would never say. I mean that's kind of one of the core reasons why she hates her own mother so much but eh. Also don't even get me started on that corrin support.

I actually really like FE4's sprites.

Lucina is extremely boring. She's my least favorite fire emblem lord.

The GBA games are overrated. 

Path of radiance didn't need a sequel.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:06 PM, Tuvy2 said:

My FE sorter results show my unpopular opinions. Here are my bottom 39 and top 25.

Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 9.02.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 9.02.20 AM.png

It's nice to see somebody loves Hicks (though above Finn......). Though I will certainly disagree on Makalov so far, just because he's flawed doesn't mean I have to like him or consider him an amazing character.

Honestly, I wasn't even that mad about the hot springs banner in Heroes, just disappointed by their clear Royals-centred choices. I'm not even happy Camilla wasn't made a marquee unit again just because.

PoR has Too Few Slots syndrome pretty bad imo.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

PoR has Too Few Slots syndrome pretty bad imo.

What do you mean by this? The amount of units choosable never really felt too limiting for me. I could use anyone I wanted without much hassle. 

Unless you mean for the skills, in which case I absolutely agree. PoR's skill system ended up feeling far too limiting, and if you gave a skill to the wrong unit, then too bad, you're stuck with that.

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

Unless you mean for the skills, in which case I absolutely agree. PoR's skill system ended up feeling far too limiting, and if you gave a skill to the wrong unit, then too bad, you're stuck with that.

They more or less fixed it with RD, though taking an innate skill off of a character, and being unable to give it back without a massive cap penalty isn't very fun.

On that note, I think RD is the right way to handle skills. Every skill being treated the same in Awakening and Fates, and skills being tied to classes just ruins the meta-game, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

On that note, I think RD is the right way to handle skills. Every skill being treated the same in Awakening and Fates, and skills being tied to classes just ruins the meta-game, IMO. 

I think the opposite, having skill tied to classes help the metagame because create niche that only a certain class can achieve. For example, both generals and wyvern knights focus on defense, so there is little point to use the one whit less movement. A litle more stats won't cut it because in general fe stat benchmarks are low.

Unless generals get an unique skill that allow them to achieve something that WKs can't achieve in any way(for example, wary fighter may allow generals to survive a wave of enemy swordmasters) you would just remove the skills from the generals and put them on the WKs. Wich is what happens in both fates and RD. You don't stay general after you unlocked wary fighter and you don't leave resolve on Tauroneo when you can give it to someone whit movement.

Edited by Flere210

5 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I think the opposite, having skill tied to classes help the metagame because create niche that only a certain class can achieve. For example, both generals and wyvern knights focus on defense, so there is little point to use the one whit less movement. A litle more stats won't cut it because in general fe stat benchmarks are low.

Unless generals get an unique skill that allow them to achieve something that WKs can't achieve in any way(for example, wary fighter may allow generals to survive a wawe of enemy swordmasters) you would just remove the skills from the generals and put them on the WKs. Wich is what happens in both fates and RD. You don't stay general after you unlocked wary fighter and you don't leave resolve on Tauroneo when you can give it to someone whit movement.

This is where I think the problem with the meta-game comes in, though. Once you acquire a skill for a General, there's 0 reason to use that class anymore. As happened with Awakening, and slightly less so with Fates due to the limiting on constant reclassing, you end up with an army of very similar units all with very similar skill sets and classes. Since there's no real restriction on skills(And the grinding to get them) like this, there's really no reason not to do this outside of arbitrarily limiting yourself.

If you want a bigger timesink, then admittedly, this is a better metagame. But figuring out how to use classes and units kind of takes a backseat to just grinding out skills in these cases, which I'm not a fan of.

Edited by Slumber

9 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

What do you mean by this? The amount of units choosable never really felt too limiting for me. I could use anyone I wanted without much hassle. 

More in the sense that "How can I hold all these good units?". Only really been feeling it since Chapter 23 only in fairness.

Yeah, I didn't think the skills were as well handled as could be but it's a bit basic in PoR, right? I haven't used much of any of my scrolls as is because of hoe it's handled.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

- FE7 and FE8 are overrated. FE7 because its maps are just uninteresting and the story just rubs me the wrong way... While FE8's maps are better, a good amount of them are still uninteresting (most of the pre-route split maps). Also its story is a bit overhyped.

-FE6 is maybe a bit underrated. Sure, it is a bit unpolished and the hit rates are awful, but there are ways to make it better (using the weapon triangle, supports, and I think weapon rank). But it probably has the best maps in the GBA Fire Emblem games and its enemies are better designed. Also its music kicks ass.

-Dieck is better than Rutger overall. Both are amazing units, but I think that because Dieck gets axes upon promotion and he is around longer, he just a bit better long term. Especially for the former.

- Chapter 10 of Conquest isn't well designed. Just because you have to go on the defensive and you have to secure chokepoints doesn't make it inherently good. Maybe if there were less reinforcements, or they came in less frequently, the map would've been more fun to play through. Also while Takumi lowering the water is an interesting idea, it just felt cheap in a map like this. Even though I do like that if you can take him down before he could do that, the water never changes it also forces you to go on the offensive by brute forcing your way to him and somehow not losing a unit in the process. Some people might like this about the map, but I personally don't.

• New Game + is long overdue in the Fire Emblem series.
  • XCOMs second seals (where mechanics are added, removed, or altered) are also something the series could take advantage of.
  • There needs to be an unlockable were everyone wears sunglasses.
  • Miriel and Laurent do have enough differences to be separate characters from each other instead of clones, even if said differences are pretty subtle.
  • While elements of it are still present, the "shipping emblem" part of Awakening is not as pronounced as people make it out to be. Heck, from a gameplay side of things, it can be ignored entirely.
  • Some thought was put into the taguels background, as we do get a decent about of facts about them and none of the information is contradictory. It was still badly implemented, as you only find it out through reading several of Pannes (and to a lesser degree, Yarnes) supports and event tiles, but worldbuilding for them, while small, is still present.
  • On a similar note, a Taguel Warren being a level and taguel Risen being a thing were missed opportunities for both the base game and the DLC.
  • Although I am happy that IS focused on creating quality DLC and didn't go the easy or expected route with it, I do still wish that costume packs were a thing, if only to give certain characters/classes more modest clothing.
  • Kellam, Stahl, and Donnel need to appear in a cowboy based banner with a play on "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".
  • A Blustone crossover with Fire Emblem Heroes could befit both companies. Blustone would get more recognition, and Heroes could get unique units (such as melee magic users and physically strong healers, and much more).
  • Three-way supports need to be a thing.
  • The quest givers in Echoes have some entertaining, memorable and well-written dialogue, and it's a shame they don't have voice acting.
  • The limited supports in Echoes were more for gameplay balancing than saving costs on voice acting.

3 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  • Kellam, Stahl, and Donnel need to appear in a cowboy based banner with a play on "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

I have always liked those three together, along with Robin (gender does not matter) Nowi.

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  • The quest givers in Echoes have some entertaining, memorable and well-written dialogue, and it's a shame they don't have voice acting.

Merchant of Death is not worth it to me. Who knows when you need more Steel Lances/Javelins?

Also, I do not know how unpopular this is, but Archer Atlas is a good investment. All you need is maybe a forged Iron Bow most of the time, and then Killer Bow for Hunter’s Volley.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:35 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

More like it shows your bad taste.

Nah man, taste is taste, unless your favorite character is Elincia you can't have bad taste.

26 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

Nah man, taste is taste, unless your favorite character is Elincia you can't have bad taste.

Even with Elincia, taste is taste.

I have not even played the Tellius games, that’s just that anyone can like Elincia and have her as her favorite character.

1 minute ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

Even with Elincia, taste is taste.

I have not even played the Tellius games, that’s just that anyone can like Elincia and have her as her favorite character.

Debatable, but I guess, sure.

6 hours ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

I have always liked those three together, along with Robin (gender does not matter) Nowi.

I believe they're the only three characters who's same gendered supports are with each other. I honestly wouldn't have minded if they got the games only three-way support.

Merchant of Death is not worth it to me. Who knows when you need more Steel Lances/Javelins?

There are more Quest Givers than that one, y'know?

Although that one sucks no matter what, even if you can get that equipment back.

Also, I do not know how unpopular this is, but Archer Atlas is a good investment. All you need is maybe a forged Iron Bow most of the time, and then Killer Bow for Hunter’s Volley.

I agree. He may not hit or double much, but what does hit will hurt. While it sounds unreliable at first glance, Echoes is a game where you always have to plan around a unit missing, so it's not as bad as it sounds.