What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

7 hours ago, Jerry Kuma said:

Also its music kicks ass.

Finally, an opinion I entirely disagree on. You're at least liking it more than I am.

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

New Game + is long overdue in the Fire Emblem series.

I mean, there has been in PoR from what I've read, but how extensive would you want that New Game+?

So, I'm near the end of PoR and imo most of the villains so far haven't impressed. Petrine might have had potential but it felt wasted and the other two riders haven't had much of any chance to get in the story. And then there's BK, who I'll wait to discuss further until the end because he seems like he's en endgame threat. Really the only ones who seem to have tried are Oliver, Naesala and BK, none of which are of Daein themselves. Well, aside from Ashnard but there's still more story for him too. As an aside Greil's backstory was interesting but oh man there's not much method to that madness (And I mean that literally).

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, there has been in PoR from what I've read, but how extensive would you want that New Game+?

Stuff like getting to use characters that are part of the story but not in the game, getting to use powerful characters earlier than you're supposed to, getting to use powerful weapons from the start, alternative costumes or accessories for units, options that make the game easier or harder, the ability to set up challenge runs officially, maybe adding an alternative universe for the story, being able to use characters, weapons, and items from previous games, and more.

Really, I want just them to get creative with it while still covering several bases.

12 minutes ago, Jerry Kuma said:

I'm curious, what rubs you the wrong way about FE6's music?

A lot of it is the usage of tracks: I think BB is pretty bad on what tracks get used when and for how long. One of the worst examples is Roy's journey, a track that is my personal worst in the series. It's an early game track in design for sure, gets constant usage in the first 8 chapters and by 8x/9 you're relieved to see the back of it. But then it bends convention by seeing a resurgence for Chapter 16 and 17I, which kind of pushes it to overuse. Another for an actual good track is Roy's Expedition, which works brilliantly on one route and never seems to fit for the other one.

It really doesn't help that the instrumentation on BB is also pretty poor in my opinion. FE doesn't have that good a reputation on the GBA for this aspect to begin with, but Binding Blade's is the worst of the lot imo. This is something that can be remedied at least.

Let's be clear, I don't think the soundtrack is all bad tunes. I'm not impressed by a lot of it personally though, the tracks which get remixed in BS are personally preferable and I'd argue only a few tracks are particularly good besides. It could possibly be topped for worst soundtrack, but I'd have to see what Tellius has to offer first.

Roy's Journey on the other hand is still the worst imo (it's got the exact kind of loops too soon issue that always annoys me for any track, the actual song seems weak and the instruments suck) and I doubt anything from any other title could top it.

1 minute ago, Hawkwing said:

Stuff like getting to use characters that are part of the story but not in the game, getting to use powerful characters earlier than you're supposed to, getting to use powerful weapons from the start, alternative costumes or accessories for units, options that make the game easier or harder, the ability to set up challenge runs officially, maybe adding an alternative universe for the story, being able to use characters, weapons, and items from previous games, and more.

Really, I want just them to get creative with it while still covering several bases.

Some of that exists, but certainly not to the extent you're putting out there.

I'd have to wonder how plausible it is to make that, though the idea of a super powerful campaign+ that put more effort in that SS's Creature Campaign would tempt me. I'd file that as an "I'm okay with this" personally.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Some of that exists, but certainly not to the extent you're putting out there.

I'd have to wonder how plausible it is to make that, though the idea of a super powerful campaign+ that put more effort in that SS's Creature Campaign would tempt me. I'd file that as an "I'm okay with this" personally.

Admittedly, I haven't played that many games with New Game +, so I don't really know what's standard are for that, but Fire Emblem always struck me as a series that could use it well, and I'm surprised that it was never really taken advantage of. The games have enough replayability as is, but why not add more to it?

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

A lot of it is the usage of tracks: I think BB is pretty bad on what tracks get used when and for how long. One of the worst examples is Roy's journey, a track that is my personal worst in the series. It's an early game track in design for sure, gets constant usage in the first 8 chapters and by 8x/9 you're relieved to see the back of it. But then it bends convention by seeing a resurgence for Chapter 16 and 17I, which kind of pushes it to overuse. Another for an actual good track is Roy's Expedition, which works brilliantly on one route and never seems to fit for the other one.

It really doesn't help that the instrumentation on BB is also pretty poor in my opinion. FE doesn't have that good a reputation on the GBA for this aspect to begin with, but Binding Blade's is the worst of the lot imo. This is something that can be remedied at least.

Let's be clear, I don't think the soundtrack is all bad tunes. I'm not impressed by a lot of it personally though, the tracks which get remixed in BS are personally preferable and I'd argue only a few tracks are particularly good besides. It could possibly be topped for worst soundtrack, but I'd have to see what Tellius has to offer first.

Roy's Journey on the other hand is still the worst imo (it's got the exact kind of loops too soon issue that always annoys me for any track, the actual song seems weak and the instruments suck) and I doubt anything from any other title could top it.

I can agree with you there. They definitely overstay their welcome. Personally, I usually have the music on for one chapter then I mute it so I can listen to YouTube in the background, so that isn't really a problem for me. Also yeah, the tracks that do reappear in FE7 are better in that game (most notably Shadow Approaches, holy shit they really made it better in FE7).

Also eh, Roy's Journey isn't that bad. Sure it loops quickly, but the instruments in it compensate. Actually I would say that FE6's soundfont is better than FE7 and maybe FE8's.  Its more varied and it feels more "grand" Despite the fact that the GBA's audio sort of sucks, I feel that IS did the best that they could with what they had. I would honestly say that FE6 has the most consistently good OST out of any Fire Emblem game even if some tracks were really overused.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, DiogoJorge said:

Liking Elincia is a sign of good taste. Good natured and beautifull, just like a princess should be.

Beauty is subjective, and her good-naturedness is worse than Corrin.

16 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Echoes is a good game and has a good story, not just a good presentation as some say around here.

Yes, a million times yes.

20 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Is worse? It's not like either of them harm anyone directly...

That's the issue, Elincia is all about peace and nonviolence, at least Corrin has the balls to start a war and choose a side and doesn't rely on a mercenary man to fix all of his/her problems.

21 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

That's the issue, Elincia is all about peace and nonviolence, at least Corrin has the balls to start a war and choose a side and doesn't rely on a mercenary man to fix all of his/her problems.

I don’t truly know about Elincia, but I do know that Corrin was not the one who started the war. That was Garon.

2 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

Yes, a million times yes.

Because Elincia knows better than to fight herself when she has no knowledge on the matter in the first place. It's only because she gets some guidance that she fights in the first place. Not everyone needs to be a fighter to be likable. Crimea simply wasn't in a position that they could reclaim their country whitout help.

Corrin starting a war is a bad thing. I assume that is CQ Corrin, the worst Corrin, because the other Corrins don't start one.

Edited by DiogoJorge

3 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

Garon starts the war and last time I checked Elincia isn't very good at combat so lol.

1 hour ago, DiogoJorge said:

Corrin starting a war is a bad thing. I assume that is CQ Corrin, the worst Corrin, because the other Corrins don't start one.

The war was started by Garon though and honestly Corrin thinks of Nohr as his true family so you can't really blame them, really though I don't know why they pulled a pokemon marketing thing here, maybe if they only made one game and focused in it's story maybe then it would have been good or atleast decent. Now as to remove the Mary Sue personality that Corrin has would help too.

1 hour ago, DiogoJorge said:

Because Elincia knows better than to fight herself when she has no knowledge on the matter in the first place. It's only because she gets some guidance that she fights in the first place. Not everyone needs to be a fighter to be likable. Crimea simply wasn't in a position that they could reclaim their country whitout help.

Also I vaguely recall Elincia actually wanting to contribute a lot earlier then she actually did. Did't she tell Ike she was trained to use the sword and that she could fight like really early in the game? I believe Ike told her to stay out of combat because protecting her was their job and that it would't get any easier if Elincia saw a lot of combat.

Edited by Sasori

20 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Echoes is a good game and has a good story, not just a good presentation as some say around here.

Agreed, actually. I don't find the presentation to be bad, mind, but I do wonder at points why people call it excellent when there are several better examples out there, even from years prior. I do blame time/budget constraints for the more lackluster parts of the presentation more than developer laziness, though.

As for some more unpopular opinions of mine:

- If/When Alm and Marth win the CYL banner and get their alts, I don't think they should do the "pantsless and gaiden armor" look. I actually want to see older versions of both after years of ruling their respective nations, and seeing how much they've changed and how much has stayed the same since the end of their games. That, and it would be neat to see some interaction between Marth and Alm.

- More Fire Emblem characters need to grow beards.

- A sports/Olympics themed banner would be pretty cool to see.

- Fire Emblem Echoes has some solid potential for DLC, and it's a shame it was never continued.

- A Fire Emblem game from the bandits perspective is something that needs to happen sometime in the future.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

Garon starts the war and last time I checked Elincia isn't very good at combat so lol.

Depends whether your POR Elincia or RD Elincia.

POR Elincia shows up when there are like 5 chapters left in the game, and is the epitome of an Est. Unfortunately, it is way too much work to train her up to a usable level in order for her to be useful, and the Amiti sucks in this game.

RD Elincia on the other hand is awesome. Sure, 2-P she only has a Slim Sword, but then 2-F rolls around, she has the buffed Amiti, and she can clear house. When she comes back, she isn't as useful, but a flying staff unit is always welcome.

1 hour ago, Sasori said:

Also I vaguely recall Elincia actually wanting to contribute a lot earlier then she actually did. Did't she tell Ike she was trained to use the sword and that she could fight like really early in the game? I believe Ike told her to stay out of combat because protecting her was their job and that it would't get any easier if Elincia saw a lot of combat.

Maybe, It was been a long while since I played PoR.

Edited by DiogoJorge

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

RD Elincia on the other hand is awesome. Sure, 2-P she only has a Slim Sword, but then 2-F rolls around, she has the buffed Amiti, and she can clear house. When she comes back, she isn't as useful, but a flying staff unit is always welcome.

"Not good at combat" was what I said, not unusable or bad.

44 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

Yeah like a bit before Greil dies I think.

6 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Yeah like a bit before Greil dies I think.

Chapter 6 to be precise, Greil dies after 7.

Elincia:
“My lord Ike, I…I will fight with you!”

Ike:
“…No, you won’t.”

Elincia:
“My lord?”

Ike:
“I cannot let you expose yourself to danger of any kind. Everyone here is risking his life to ensure your safety. If you understand that, you’ll cooperate and do as I ask.”

Elincia:
“I see…I will do my part.”

So thanks Ikey-doo! You kept early Elincia away from us.

While some games get away with giving you two or even one unpromoted healer, Elincia at least some of the time early on in PoR would have been good. A real late promotion in her joining chapter, or a little sooner than that after Geoffrey joins, would have then worked.

In Fire Emblem Fates, I find ‘backpack’ units cheap. And if the pair-up bonuses mechanic is to return, I think that future games should implement restrictions to discourage ‘backpacks.’

Given the high pair-up bonuses and the lack of restrictions to grant them, ‘backpack’ units are not only common but also considered efficient. Some units are purely tiered based on their ‘pair-up-fodder’ utility.

In a game that tries to implement ‘characters’ more than ‘units’, the use of ‘backpacks’ is contradictory.

The increase of pair-up bonuses based on support level is in-line with the general directive of incentivising character interactions, but the lack of restrictions based on the Experience-level difference of the two units is in direct opposition to this idea. This contradiction produced a common (created) scenario where two units at S-support level (to optimise the bonuses) could be tens Experience-levels apart from each other (one strong ‘main’ unit, and another one notably under-levelled, as ‘backpack’.)

If a unit could only grant support bonuses to another unit within close Experience-levels, then the player would have incentives to use and level-up both units evenly. The bonuses could also vary according to the Experience-level proximity, and disappear after a certain threshold is crossed.

Going even further, the Experience-level gap should not reset upon promotion. This is, a unit promoted early, say, at Level 10 (L10/1) should still be ten levels away from a unit that was promoted at Level 20 (L20/1.)

On 1/26/2019 at 5:12 AM, Hawkwing said:

- If/When Alm and Marth win the CYL banner and get their alts, I don't think they should do the "pantsless and gaiden armor" look. I actually want to see older versions of both after years of ruling their respective nations, and seeing how much they've changed and how much has stayed the same since the end of their games. That, and it would be neat to see some interaction between Marth and Alm.

I'm not sure if people actually want FE1&2 designs or if they're just meme-ing but I don't think CYL winners should be given joke outfits. All of the CYL winners (barring maybe Celica who was given a retro outfit for...reasons) seemed to have matured or are showing their respect to mentor figures. CYL should be the characters at their peak form, not a mockery of themselves.

15 hours ago, starburst said:

In Fire Emblem Fates, I find ‘backpack’ units cheap. And if the pair-up bonuses mechanic is to return, I think that future games should implement restrictions to discourage ‘backpacks.’

I agree, but i believe that the only needed restriction is good map design and enemies scaling. The restriction is that you have 9 units on the field instead of 10, make it count. Far too often lowmanning and juggernauting maps are the optimal strategy, but if the map is designed around having to use exactly 12 people the choice of using 11 or less in exchange of a stat boost is often going to be suboptimal. 

Hell i'll throw an unpopular opinion of mine: juggernauting should not be possible unless you exploit some unintended gamebraking skill combination and enemies should be designed in such a way that you just can't murder 6 on them in the enemy phase whit the Jeigan alone. I also dislike damage sponges, but i think a balance can be found. 

Fire Emblem Awakening had some of the best characters in the series. Many of the units in your army are surprisingly multi-faceted and memorable and the fact that they can all have frequent conversations with each other that (mostly) say different things is something other games in the series could really benefit from.

I don't understand where the sentiment that the characters are all "Anime stereotypes and one-note" is coming from.

43 minutes ago, Spatha said:

Fire Emblem Awakening had some of the best characters in the series. Many of the units in your army are surprisingly multi-faceted and memorable and the fact that they can all have frequent conversations with each other that (mostly) say different things is something other games in the series could really benefit from.

I don't understand where the sentiment that the characters are all "Anime stereotypes and one-note" is coming from.

I think that's because there is a pretty strong overlap between a lot of anime tropes and some of the characters. 

Ricken isn't a cheery freedom fighter, a bitter dark mage or a persecuted dragon who just happens to be a shota. He's just a Shota mage. 

Severa too is much more of a text book tsundere than a character who just happens to be a tsundere. 

56 minutes ago, Spatha said:

It mostly comes from people taking one look at Severa, tharja, and to a lesser degree Sumia and going “oh that’s an recognizable anime trope so that must be all that there is to their characters” and move on and generalize the rest of the cast as being similar without digging any deeper than that or really truly have no understanding on how those tropes work(tharja is Not a yandere no matter how much people like to call her one). As a fan of Severa this shit really gets under my skin whenever I see it. Not to say people can’t have opinions just when they make “objective” and argumentative statements like that they should at least be able to back it up properly.

that’s not to say everyone who says these things is like this but from what I’ve seen, it generally seems to be the case. 

Edited by Ottservia