What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Faye the yandere is just putting on airs in that Alm support, she really doesn't seem to fit it in practice. The yan part I mean.

I agree with this. Honestly the only real “yandere” in the series as far as I’ve seen is Camilla and even that’s stretching it a bit. I’d hardly consider Faye or Tharja yanderes at all. Tharja is more of a mayadere than she is a yandere. She has some yandere-esque tendencies but overall she seems more like a mayadere or a dandere if you ask me. Faye has the whole obsession thing but unlike an actual yandere she never acts on that obsession to the point of endangering Alm himself. If I had to classify her in some kind of dere type, I’d say she’s closest to an obsessive deredere but that may be stretching a bit.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three Houses isn't even out yet and Dorothea is already overrated (and the JoJo memes aren't even funny, to begin with)...which makes her the most annoying character right now due to all the people going crazy over her and her photoshopped hat. 

Edited by zuibangde

Fire Emblem depends too much on fanservice to win over fans 

I feel like characters of the likes of Camilla and Loki are liked just because of their racks and not of their characters

Maybe if Camilla didn't have such a big rack they could've made more room for her character

And Loki wasn't needed for heroes she was a waste of character as it's really frustrating trying to figure out who she's aligned with or what she even is(She's totally a evil dragon god).

59 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

And Loki wasn't needed for heroes she was a waste of character as it's really frustrating trying to figure out who she's aligned with or what she even is(She's totally a evil dragon god).

image.png.65d67912de8b7dfe6456ca3c7ac2204a.png

Sorry I couldn't help myself. In all seriousness though the fact that its hard to tell what Loki's whole deal is is kind of the point of her entire character. Loki in nordic mythology was a trickster god who caused all kinds of mayhem and mischief. This Loki most certainly lives up that name I will tell you that much. She's sly cunning, charming, and all around hard to read and figure out what she's up to which is good cause that's how you're supposed to feel. It makes her interesting in my opinion.

- As much as people joke that Awakening is "shipping emblem", it's honestly barely above games like Pirates! Sword of the Samuria, and the Guild in my eyes. Sure, there are child characters, the dialogue and endings change, and the avatar gets a unique confession screen, but that's really it. There are no dialogue choices, no love triangles, no values that rise or drop that affect how you play the game, and outside of Chrom it doesn't bug you if you decide to ignore the mechanic. Heck, you don't even need to focus on the "romance" aspect of it. You can pair two characters up because they have great sysnergy on the battlefield and not because "eugenics Emblem", and you could care less about two characters as a couple but still unlock the S-Support because you like seeing said characters interact.

- S-Supports should be treated differently from C-B-A supports when discussing support quality, because they're an entirely different beast in their handling.

- People focus too much on Celicas actions in act 4 and 5 and forgot that she wiped out two criminal empires in Acts 2 and 3.

- While the amount of turnwheel uses should be reduced in future games, the total amount in Echoes is honestly not that bad. A bit high, sure, but not to the point that they can be wasted carelessly.

- While Echoes was a loving remake first and foremost, it was also testing the reception of villagers, free roaming, combat arts, magic, the turnwheel, and more so that IS could build upon the feedback when designing Three Houses.

- Echoes is an intriguing look into a story's narrative shooting itself in the foot, but having the characters actions make sense (Spoilers):

Spoiler

- While it throws most (though not all) of the "a persons worth is determined by their character, not their title" Aesop out the window, Alm doesn't know about his true status up until the reveal, thus every time that he gives something akin to the message before the twist, he's speaking earnestly. Even after becoming emperor, one of his first decisions upon learning that Duma and Mila's deaths will result in the land of Valentia becoming barren is to help farm alongside the people. Despite people assuming Alm would become king of Zofia after the war was over, Alm never says he actually will (I still wish he gave his thoughts on the matter, though. Being fair, it's the games story that sidesteps the issue rather than Alm), and in fact holds on to finding the lost princess to give her stolen position back. Your choice on whether this is showing cracks in his beliefs, or he's being a Cincinnatus and will give up his power to another once the conflict is over (or both. They aren't mutually exclusive).

- Sure, the decision was still foolish, and was convenient for trapping Celica's party, but Celica wasn't provided with any alternative solutions, Liprica keeping Celica away from Mila gave credence to the branded souls being powerful to the gods, she's been keeping secrets for years, and stalling would only lead to more bloodshed (which it does... for the Duma Faithful and Rigelian troops, anyway). It was still a foolish decision and better handled in the original Gaiden, but I don't blame Celica for making it.

~~Side note, we never do learn whether or not Celica's stint as a witch will have any long term consequences, do we?

- While an example of handing the protagonist responsibility for convinces sake, Clives decision to give Alm a high place in the Deliverance is not all that far-fetched. Being personally trained by one of the most well respected knights in the land, winning various battles despite his lack of experience, given praise by a fellow soldier, and rescuing Clives sister are all definitely impressive credentials. Plus, from a more cynical perspective, it could work as a PR stunt for the time being, and Alm would be a convenient scapegoat if anything backfired.

There are several other examples, but you get the idea

- Duma is the best final boss in the series. But f*ck that medusa guy.

- Some arcanists and cantors are as insane as witches. It just doesn't come up because teleporting is incredibly obvious example of artificial stupidity, and they needed a good excuse for it.

- Echoes really needed more difficulty options and more DLC.

- A future shapeshifter(s) should be a non-animal one, and should be able to change into more than one creature.

- While people are critiquing the art of Three Houses, my biggest worry is the combat animations. I feel that they lack the same speed and power that Echoes has, and that was one of the things that got me super excited about that game.

- Fire Emblem Heroes started out with a solid if flawed gacha system, but the cracks are really starting to show.

- Don't know why, but I want to see a character based off of Lo Wang from the Shadow Warrior reboots  in a Fire Emblem game. I guess I like the idea of a character that is an arrogant, powerful, crass, and unlikable yet hilarious douchebag that can't keep their mouth shut in battle, and in spite of all their accomplishments, still gets absolutely no respect from others and is a buttmonkey in anything outside combat. It would be a unique addition to the Fire Emblem cast, and could lead to some interesting and hilarious supports. Plus, some of the Chi abilities would make for some cool skills.

- I want Kaden and/or Selkie (and/or Panne and/or Yarne, because alliterative appeal, rabbits, and both their personalities would make it hilarious) to have an alt that references a decades old meme. Not begging for it, because IS needs to reduce the amount of alts and there are other seasonals I want to see first that I already mentioned earlier, but I'm still curious on how it would be handled and I want to see them to get creative with it.

21 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

- While it throws most (though not all) of the "a persons worth is determined by their character, not their title" Aesop out the window, Alm doesn't know about his true status up until the reveal, thus every time that he gives something akin to the message before the twist, he's speaking earnestly. Even after becoming emperor, one of his first decisions upon learning that Duma and Mila's deaths will result in the land of Valentia becoming barren is to help farm alongside the people. Despite people assuming Alm would become king of Zofia after the war was over, Alm never says he actually will (I still wish he gave his thoughts on the matter, though. Being fair, it's the games story that sidesteps the issue rather than Alm), and in fact holds on to finding the lost princess to give her stolen position back. Your choice on whether this is showing cracks in his beliefs, or he's being a Cincinnatus and will give up his power to another once the conflict is over (or both. They aren't mutually exclusive).

Y'see this is why echoes is very weird case for me cause honestly it's not Alm's royal bloodline Itself that contradicts the theme here. Cause honestly Alm being royal in it of itself does not necessarily take away from the hard work he put in to gain people's trust and companionship. What really contradicts the theme is the royal sword. If not for the royal sword, I personally would not have much of an issue with how the game handles things. The problem with the Royal sword is that ONLY Alm can wield it and it isn't because of his hard work, determination, the fact he has a pure heart, none of that. Only he can wield the royal sword because he is royal and no amount of hard work and determination will change that as Tobin has shown. The same is true when he gets Falchion which is locked in a rigelian vault only Royals can enter. No amount of hard work or strong ideals will change that fact. That is what bothers me about how the theme is handled. Remove that aspect and I wouldn't have that much of problem with it.

32 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

People focus too much on Celicas actions in act 4 and 5 and forgot that she wiped out two criminal empires in Acts 2 and 3.

Agreed. Honestly the more I think about it Celica really screwed by Alm's character being constantly shoved into the spotlight. Cause honestly, Celica's character arc reflect the themes of the game brilliantly but the reason it doesn't work is because she's made to look dumber than she actually is all for the sake of making Alm look better and I don't like that.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Y'see this is why echoes is very weird case for me cause honestly it's not Alm's royal bloodline Itself that contradicts the theme here. Cause honestly Alm being royal in it of itself does not necessarily take away from the hard work he put in to gain people's trust and companionship. What really contradicts the theme is the royal sword. If not for the royal sword, I personally would not have much of an issue with how the game handles things. The problem with the Royal sword is that ONLY Alm can wield it and it isn't because of his hard work, determination, the fact he has a pure heart, none of that. Only he can wield the royal sword because he is royal and no amount of hard work and determination will change that as Tobin has shown. The same is true when he gets Falchion which is locked in a rigelian vault only Royals can enter. No amount of hard work or strong ideals will change that fact. That is what bothers me about how the theme is handled. Remove that aspect and I wouldn't have that much of problem with it.

I'm also personally torn on the twist, but more because it presents so many interesting story and character opportunities for how Alm and the rest of the world process the news that I'm begging for a sequel, yet I would also know that if it was done, it would be fixing problems in the original story that really shouldn't have been present in the first place.

As for the royal sword thing, I do agree that it is an example of the game sidestepping the issue. Alm actually suggests letting others try it, but Lukas shuts that idea down. I do remember seeing a suggestion around a year back that it was supposed to raise doubt that Alm may have been a bastard child of King Lima that was abandoned (which would work as a misleading cover story for why Mycen adopted Alm, now that I think about it), but nothing in the game really hints at that. I think a "sword that's picky about it's wielder" would work better in this case (or at least, allow Celica to also use it, even if she may not be able to use Scendscale).

As for the royal vault., I would say that's more pragmatism on Jedahs part than Alm being special. Only one person could enter, they would need to go through a horde of monsters which include dragons, and if he managed to survive all that, Jedah could send Celica to attack him, which brings emotional turbulence into the fight, meaning that someone would have to loose. If Celica won, good, as she's under Duma's control. If Alm won, it would be when he's tired and worn out (and in fact his fatigue carries over to the final map), and Jedah could finish him off. Mila intervening was the one thing that nobody present predicted would happen.

Admittedly, this is me defending a part of the game I enjoy from a gameplay perspective. Don't know why, but I always enjoyed solo sections in RPGs and strategy games.

20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Agreed. Honestly the more I think about it Celica really screwed by Alm's character being constantly shoved into the spotlight. Cause honestly, Celica's character arc reflect the themes of the game brilliantly but the reason it doesn't work is because she's made to look dumber than she actually is all for the sake of making Alm look better and I don't like that.

I think that Jedah's ultimatum could be reworked a little as well. Keep the part where the gods are going mad, that MIla is trapped (and lying that she could be brought back), and that Celicas soul would solve the issue. Add that he won't be taking "no" for an answer, and that if Celica decides to go the hard route, then every death will be laid at her feet for not going earlier. I also think Jedah should have reinforced his position on the Necrodragons at Duma tower, not caring if it takes days, weeks, months years, decades, or even centuries until Celica makes her choice, he would keep sending them against Alm's group until every one of them were dead and the Deliverances mission ended in failure. That way, he hits her in another soft spot (along with Mila), which makes her decision even more understandable given she's not thinking straight.

I also because I believe that Celica would learn from the experience and become the wise woman that the ending says she is, but again, that's sequel material.

18 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Admittedly, this is me defending a part of the game I enjoy from a gameplay perspective. Don't know why, but I always enjoyed solo sections in RPGs and strategy games.

I like those too but honestly when you really look at it, it's bad writing no matter how you slice it. There could've been a much better way of allowing for only Alm to get in. This is just me spit balling here but maybe Jedah set up a barrier that only allowed Alm to get through. That way the game isn't contradicting itself for the sake of a cool story/gameplay moment. 

23 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I think that Jedah's ultimatum could be reworked a little as well. Keep the part where the gods are going mad, that MIla is trapped (and lying that she could be brought back), and that Celicas soul would solve the issue. Add that he won't be taking "no" for an answer, and that if Celica decides to go the hard route, then every death will be laid at her feet for not going earlier. I also think Jedah should have reinforced his position on the Necrodragons at Duma tower, not caring if it takes days, weeks, months years, decades, or even centuries until Celica makes her choice, he would keep sending them against Alm's group until every one of them were dead and the Deliverances mission ended in failure. That way, he hits her in another soft spot (along with Mila), which makes her decision even more understandable given she's not thinking straight.

I agree with this cause honestly had they done this, I don't think people would have nearly as big of an issue with Celica as they do now.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I like those too but honestly when you really look at it, it's bad writing no matter how you slice it. There could've been a much better way of allowing for only Alm to get in. This is just me spit balling here but maybe Jedah set up a barrier that only allowed Alm to get through. That way the game isn't contradicting itself for the sake of a cool story/gameplay moment.

I respectfully disagree on it being poor writing. A vault that can only be accessed by a member of the royal family and keeps everyone else out would be a logical move in a world were such magic exists. It helps that Duma himself may have put the spell there, considering he never once used the Falchion against his sister despite how long their war was. When the royal families of Rigel and Zofia were formed, he likely didn't want any random human getting the crazy idea that he wanted Mila dead, and thus only entrusted it with a specific group of people. It may also have been a safeguard so that only a member of the royal family would be able to kill him, and it would be against their interests to do so since killing a patron god and fighting through the Duma Faithful would cause a host a problems among nearly every group of people on the continent. This is, of course, before Duma went mad and his followers devolved into a cult, but the reasoning still stands

As for Jedah, well, Alm was the last surviving member of the Rigelian royal line (that we know of, anyway), meaning that if he teleported Mila, Celica, and the Falchion into the vault, then only one person could be able to access it. And said person would have to go through several undead forces in order to reach the Falchion. If Alm died at any point, then Jedah would have succeeded. Even if Alm completed the trails and defeated Celica as a witch, the Falchion was still sealed, making it useless for the purpose of slaying Duma. The only cog in this plan was Mila unsealing the sword, which could be considered a deus ex machina, although it could also be her realizing that it was time for her and Duma to go and that sealing the sword to save her brother was a loving but flawed mistake.

As for why Jedah could access the vault... I honestly couldn't say, other than proposing that being the head of the Duma Faithful must come with some benefits, and only people with the brand could wield Falchion anyway, so the weapon would be useless to him. Don't know why the vault is so empty, honestly, but maybe none of the royal family of Rigel liked the idea of putting their personal belongings underneath a castle in a maze right next to a god slaying weapon. Plus we don't really know how much public knowledge it is that the royal vault even exists.

I see it less as "Alm is special" and more "Alm can access a magical vault that has probably existed and been used countless times in the past". And Jedah's plan was pretty much "put the only weapon that can kill Duma in a vault that only one guy can access, so that if they die at any point, I win."

Remembered another opinion of mine that I can't believe I forgot

I legitimately like Fernand as a (fundamentally flawed) character and as a villain, and honestly think he was one of, if not the, best written characters in Echoes.

Here are a couple more that I've come to have:

Berkut is an overrated villain. There I said it. He's a great character but as a villain he just fails utterly because the conflict he creates with Alm is ultimately rendered meaningless because of the contradictions present within the narrative.

Awakening's story is not bad at all. It's actually really good with a ton of depth and nuance that I find is way overlooked by too many people. The story isn't even rushed either. Well maybe in the final arc but that's it. Other than that the pacing is fine. Awakening's story has its problems no doubt but they're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. All of its villains, bar Validar, really are really well done and fit into the game's themes perfectly and each arc builds upon the ideals and philosophies of the last which all culminates beautifully into a simple yet well constructed narrative about overcoming the failures and sacrifices of the past to move onto to create a brighter future.

Edited by Ottservia

The Tellius duology is overrated. Path of Radiance's story may be fine, but I didn't really care for like half of the cast, and the gameplay of Path of Radiance is honestly kinda weak. And Radiant Dawn's story is much weaker, it's unit balance is the one of the worst in the series, and the maps in part 4 are awful. 

First off, I agree partly with zuibangde. While I personally like Dorothea so far from what we know about her, the JoJo memes have started to become incredibly overdone and annoying (and they have been for quite awhile). It doesn't help much that her hat doesn't even look all that similar to Jotaro's at all.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is in regards to Echoes: It is a decent game at absolute BEST. Sure, it looks great, sounds great, but it doesn't PLAY great. While I actually quite like the dungeon exploration, the maps are a chore to play through. Cantors are extremely annoying, and the desert and swamp maps are an absolute bore. Plus, I would argue that even the story isn't that great. There are far too few Supports (and yes, while Awakening and especially Fates have far too many, having too little is still a flaw). That one plot twist (you know the one) has terrible foreshadowing, and the villain's plan is poorly thought out, too. And don't get me started on how Celica is treated compared to Alm. Overall, it is probably my least favorite Fire Emblem game next to revelation.

I really don't want an baron armor lord Edelgard I really don't want her to be like hector I hope she's unique and different so maybe someone who is a spy from nintendo is taking then I hope your listening don't make Edelgard a Baron armor lord.

IS needs to make better first impressions for its characters. Awakening, Fates, and Heroes. Make people want to know them through the supports.

I think that’s why people never bothered to read supports. They were not attracted to the characters at the first impression.

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

IS needs to make better first impressions for its characters. Awakening, Fates, and Heroes. Make people want to know them through the supports.

I think that’s why people never bothered to read supports. They were not attracted to the characters at the first impression.

Speak for yourself. I very quickly fell in love with many Awakening characters though their first impression. Although I do agree when it comes to older games, where without supports, they don't leave an impression at all (be it silly or serious)

Edited by redtutel

3 minutes ago, redtutel said:

Speaker for yourself. I very quickly fell in love with many Awakening characters though their first impression. Although I do agree when it comes to older games, where without supports, they don't leave an impression at all (be it silly or serious)

It was just a thing I heard. People think this character is a one-note character until you look in the supports. Ghast’s Support Sciences, above all else.

I don’t know if I really care about first impressions, given I have nostalgic attachment to the characters now.

This fanbase is complicated.

3 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I don't think this is just an issue with the newer games. I don't really feel like to read a support unless i really like both characters in older gamea. At least the children mechanics makes me read at least a support per character.

Imo the true problem of fateswekening is that there are a fair share of bad supports between characters that should not have a support in the first place. If you pick wrong in the first playtrought you will se 2 characters that throw their gimmicks at each other and conclude that the whole characters are just that.

4 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I'd argue that it's not necessarily about first impressions but that the characters don't get attention in the story.

One of my favorite FE characters, Tine has a fantastic character arc despite being stuck in a game without supports. She does this through a few talk/boss conversations and only one of those is locked if she has a lover/doesn't have a lover.

IS should strive to have more characters have interactions in the story because not everyone's going to go through +10 supports just to see if there's some good thing behind said character even if they started out as a one-note character.

Edited by Hekselka

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

I'd argue that it's not necessarily about first impressions but that the characters don't get attention in the story.

One of my favorite FE characters, Tine has a fantastic character arc despite being stuck in a game without supports. She does this through a few talk/boss conversations and only one of those is locked if she has a lover/doesn't have a lover.

IS should strive to have more characters have interactions in the story because not everyone's going to go through +10 supports just to see if there's some good thing behind said character even if they started out as a one-note character.

That would explain Cordelia’s popularity, honestly. She had a strong enough story behind her recruitment.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, Hawkwing said:

I respectfully disagree on it being poor writing. A vault that can only be accessed by a member of the royal family and keeps everyone else out would be a logical move in a world were such magic exists. It helps that Duma himself may have put the spell there, considering he never once used the Falchion against his sister despite how long their war was. When the royal families of Rigel and Zofia were formed, he likely didn't want any random human getting the crazy idea that he wanted Mila dead, and thus only entrusted it with a specific group of people. It may also have been a safeguard so that only a member of the royal family would be able to kill him, and it would be against their interests to do so since killing a patron god and fighting through the Duma Faithful would cause a host a problems among nearly every group of people on the continent. This is, of course, before Duma went mad and his followers devolved into a cult, but the reasoning still stands

As for Jedah, well, Alm was the last surviving member of the Rigelian royal line (that we know of, anyway), meaning that if he teleported Mila, Celica, and the Falchion into the vault, then only one person could be able to access it. And said person would have to go through several undead forces in order to reach the Falchion. If Alm died at any point, then Jedah would have succeeded. Even if Alm completed the trails and defeated Celica as a witch, the Falchion was still sealed, making it useless for the purpose of slaying Duma. The only cog in this plan was Mila unsealing the sword, which could be considered a deus ex machina, although it could also be her realizing that it was time for her and Duma to go and that sealing the sword to save her brother was a loving but flawed mistake.

As for why Jedah could access the vault... I honestly couldn't say, other than proposing that being the head of the Duma Faithful must come with some benefits, and only people with the brand could wield Falchion anyway, so the weapon would be useless to him. Don't know why the vault is so empty, honestly, but maybe none of the royal family of Rigel liked the idea of putting their personal belongings underneath a castle in a maze right next to a god slaying weapon. Plus we don't really know how much public knowledge it is that the royal vault even exists.

I see it less as "Alm is special" and more "Alm can access a magical vault that has probably existed and been used countless times in the past". And Jedah's plan was pretty much "put the only weapon that can kill Duma in a vault that only one guy can access, so that if they die at any point, I win."

That is a fair assessment and one I'll acknowledge though I still find it to be contradictory and will stand by that. However with this you've given me a slightly new perspective on things to which I am grateful for. Honestly I feel like another way to do it is to make it so only those with a strong enough conviction can enter the vault. That way it doesn't contradict the themes of the story and doesn't really raise too many plot holes within the world and story but again that's just me spit balling.

Edit: Now that I think about it changing the qualifications for the vault and the royal sword to conviction/resolve rather than royal blood would fix about 50% of the issues I have with this story cause not only does it add more nuance to the foil relationship between Alm and Berkut but it also makes the the vault being guarded by many of the undead take on more meaning as well as Alm now has to have his resolve tested by himself when before he had his friends he needs to overcome this trial alone and it is only if he's strong enough both physically and mentally(in terms of resolve and conviction) that he will push through and wield falchion.

Edited by Ottservia

On 20/5/2019 at 10:11 PM, Hekselka said:

Tine is even worse imo. You need to go trought several hop to make her reach the bosses in horse emblem and to survive a round with them, especially when they carry Mjolnir. You have to baby her a whole playtrough to experience her story, wich is far more annoying compared to have 2 character close to each other for x turn. 

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Tine is even worse imo. You need to go trought several hop to make her reach the bosses in horse emblem and to survive a round with them, especially when they carry Mjolnir. You have to baby her a whole playtrough to experience her story, wich is far more annoying compared to have 2 character close to each other for x turn. 

That doesn't change that she didn't need support to go through a well done character arc. Your problem has more to do with the gameplay side of FE4.

Eh, at least Tine has a good character arc. When I grind supports you never know what you're going to get. You could get an awful support like Camilla X Corrin or something more interesting like Camilla X Niles.

6 hours ago, Ottservia said:

That is a fair assessment and one I'll acknowledge though I still find it to be contradictory and will stand by that. However with this you've given me a slightly new perspective on things to which I am grateful for. Honestly I feel like another way to do it is to make it so only those with a strong enough conviction can enter the vault. That way it doesn't contradict the themes of the story and doesn't really raise too many plot holes within the world and story but again that's just me spit balling.

Edit: Now that I think about it changing the qualifications for the vault and the royal sword to conviction/resolve rather than royal blood would fix about 50% of the issues I have with this story cause not only does it add more nuance to the foil relationship between Alm and Berkut but it also makes the the vault being guarded by many of the undead take on more meaning as well as Alm now has to have his resolve tested by himself when before he had his friends he needs to overcome this trial alone and it is only if he's strong enough both physically and mentally(in terms of resolve and conviction) that he will push through and wield falchion.

You are welcome for the new perspective.

Narratively, I agree with you. Pragmatically, there are several problems that could arise. Any ARPG protagonist could travel to the land of Valentia, complete all of the dungeons, head to Duma Tower, grab the Falchion, slay Duma for the sweet loot and experience, sell Falchion to a shopkeeper afterwards because their current equipment is already better, and then leave the continent for the next area, not knowing/caring that they just left Rigel in ruins.

Or on a less silly note, Rigel's strongest warrior could come to the conclusion that Duma wanted Mila dead, and that Zofia was so depraved that the only solution was to make the land a hellhole so that they would be forced to rise to the occasion. And because of their resolve and conviction, they could slay all those in their way, wield Falchion and go kill Mila, and it would be risky for Duma to intervene since he would have to fight against the one weapon that could kill him.

From a gameplay perspective, it would just lead to jokes about how X character was more worthy than Alm to enter the royal vault.

Yet again the narrative misses the mark, but the actions of the characters within the world make sense... which returns to the point I made in my original post.

As for the Royal sword... Honestly, the only two (three if "it was like that in Gaiden" counts) reasons the scene doesn't bother me as much as it could is because the only way for any nobles in the game to use swords to via reclassing, which wasn't in the original game and is a limited resource anyway, and because Alm actually suggested letting others try lifting the sword to see if it would work for them, but Lukas shot the idea down. While it could have most certainly be handled better, this is one of those scenes that makes me wonder if several of Echoes problems were due to mistakes on the developers/writers parts, or if time and money constraints prevented them from going into as much detail as they would have liked or expanding upon certain concepts.