What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking of Villains Surtr is a better villain than Berkut and I defy anyone to convince me otherwise 

Surtr sets fire to people we and he don't care about. Berkut sets fire to his girlfriend. 

Ergo as far as villains who set people on fire go Berkut is more hardcore about it. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, redtutel said:

Judging solely on their first appearance outside of things like other games, manga, DLC, etc., Garon and Travent are of equal quality, writing wise. 

Well they are in the same boat. Both rule over a desperate and starving kingdom. But where Travant really, really outmatches Garon is that Travant cares about this and is a villain because of it while the only reason Garon is a villain is because he's just really evil. And Travant seems to care about Althena at least a little bit, unlike Garon and Corrin.

Nohr and Hoshido in general seem really inspired by Tracia and Leonster. But weirdly enough its the decades old SNES game with limited dialogue that handles this sort of conflict with way more nuance than Fates ever did. 

16 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Surtr sets fire to people we and he don't care about. Berkut sets fire to his girlfriend. 

Ergo as far as villains who set people on fire go Berkut is more hardcore about it. 

While true at least Surtr invokes some character development in Alfonse and those around him like laegjarn and helbindi(which kind of what a villain is supposed to do). It ain't much but at least it's something. Berkut can't even be bothered to do that much. The narrative impact Berkut has on Alm as a character is negligible at best. 

Edited by Ottservia

On 5/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, redtutel said:

Judging solely on their first appearance outside of things like other games, manga, DLC, etc., Garon and Travent are of equal quality, writing wise.

The main difference is that Travant is not killed before the story begin and substitued by a slime monster that is more cartonishly evil than Abridged Yami Marik . Human Garon had a lot of potential as a villain.

16 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The main difference is that Travant is not killed before the story begin and substitued by a slime monster that is more cartonishly evil than Abridged Yami Marik . Human Garon had a lot of potential as a villain.

That is true. But I didn't really get the impression Genealogy Travant loved his kids to the extent in which other characters say he does. Although I do give him credit for actually caring for his country, while undead Garon doesn't

Here are some more from me:

• Fire Emblem is better off with outright evil villains, since the writers at IntSys haven't portrayed any "complex" villain particularly well so far, with the exceptions of Dheginsea and maybe Rudolf, though the former's status as a "villain" is debatable. I'd say he's more of an antagonist than a villain. Ashnard is much more effective as a villain than Lyon is, for example. That said, Fates' villains still suck some major watermelons, though that isn't saying much, given the overall quality of the rest of its characters.
  • Shadow Dragon has better writing than the GBA games.
  • I still like Faye.
  • I actually like the artstyle they chose for Three Houses.
  • Going exclusively by first impressions, I already can't stand Dimitri.

22 hours ago, DragonFlames said:
  • I actually like the artstyle they chose for Three Houses.

I'll second that. Though I think I might just be tired of Kozaki's art style for the franchise, so maybe my position will change a year from now once I can separate FETH from its most immediate predecessor(Ignoring SoV as a remake, though I also really liked Hidari's art).

Edited by Slumber

Boots are the worst statbooster. I'd rather have a mid-game cleric Est who brings me a Celerity staff.

Movement and 3-10 range should not co-exist in any capacity, it's worse than FE6 status staffs and same-turn reinforcements.

There is nothing wrong with the Triangle Attack's absence from more recent games. It's just a cute gimmick.

If nothing else, same-turn reinforcements are fair game to punish spawncamping non-STRs.

6 hours ago, Gruntagen said:

Changing the names of FE characters is as harmful to me as physical rape.

fyi this is how you just get straight banned without probation

Tbh, I'm a little unsure on some of these.

• Conquest was the best out of the Fates games and Revelation was only good for the fact that you got all of the characters.
  • Eliwood is better than Lyn and Hector.
  • Dorcas is overrated, honestly unsure as to why he's popular.
  • Takumi is the worst.
  • Genealogy of the Holy War has one of the best stories. (Last game I played and was recent, so I could be pretty biased.)
  • I want more Tharja seasonals in Heroes.
  • Radiant Dawn isn't a hard game.
  • I can't complain too much about this because there are other levels of difficulty, but the easiest game difficulties are way too easy in all versions of Fates and in Awakening.
  • Binding Blade has the most issues out of all FE games. (Note: Haven't played the original versions of the first three games.)

13 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

Dorcas is overrated, honestly unsure as to why he's popular.

I'm attached to him for his backstory, down to earth personality and being a solid unit, but he's pretty much only popular because of this commercial:

Genealogy of the Holy War has one of the best stories. (Last game I played and was recent, so I could be pretty biased.)

I can't complain too much about this because there are other levels of difficulty, but the easiest game difficulties are way too easy in all versions of Fates and in Awakening.

Those are some popular opinions (although in my eyes, Conquest is always way too hard even on the easiest setting)

On 6/3/2019 at 12:41 AM, Slumber said:

I'll second that. Though I think I might just be tired of Kozaki's art style for the franchise, so maybe my position will change a year from now once I can separate FETH from its most immediate predecessor(Ignoring SoV as a remake, though I also really liked Hidari's art).

Is that actually an unpopular opinion? I honestly don't know what people could have a problem with the new artstyle for. I think the new style is pretty appealing.

2 hours ago, redtutel said:

I'm attached to him for his backstory, down to earth personality and being a solid unit, but he's pretty much only popular because of this commercial:

Interesting lol, never seen that before.

2 hours ago, redtutel said:

Those are some popular opinions (although in my eyes, Conquest is always way too hard even on the easiest setting)

I'm not surprised to hear they're popular tbh. I just haven't heard too many opinions in general about Genealogy, so it was hard to know.

1 hour ago, SSbardock84 said:

Is that actually an unpopular opinion? I honestly don't know what people could have a problem with the new artstyle for. I think the new style is pretty appealing.

I've had many arguments with people who felt that Kozaki's style wasn't a wild shift in the way the series has been presented, and I've also seen many people say Chinatsu's style is awful and just trying to ride the Persona train.

Edited by Slumber

Lyn/Florina is a bad ship because in their supports Lyn specifically refers to Florina as her best friend. The fandom pushing their friendship into being romantic while they both have established romantic endings with male characters is slightly creepy. Yes, they also have a paired ending but not every same sex paired ending is romantic.

It's also weird that Ike/Soren gets so much resistance but every time Lyn/Florina comes up everyone just 'accepts' it and say it's the 'best ship ever' or whatever. 

Edited by zuibangde

I used to think that the big decision at the route-split in Fates was horribly executed in just about every way possible, and while I still agree that it's heavily flawed both due to both the nature of how the games were released and how cartoonishly evil Garon was portrayed not to mention the garbage revelation teaches us I think it at least did a good job of portraying what a gut wrenching and difficult decision it was for Corrin in that moment.

The guy goes from living a sheltered life with little memories of his childhood, witnessing his father's brutality himself, to being kidnapped, to learning of his """true""" family, to losing his """true""" mother, and now he has to choose between his two families. In both Birthright and Conquest his decision is one that comes from a place of empathy, the difference is in Birthright he listens more to his moral compass in denouncing Garon's actions and siding with those who were wronged in the first place where in Conquest he listens more to his familial attachment which can even be seen in his flimsy justification of "I need to hear Garon's side of the story").

It's one of those smaller things that Fates does right, that tends to get buried under the mountain of things it did wrong.

9 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Lyn/Florina is a bad ship because in their supports Lyn specifically refers to Florina as her best friend. The fandom pushing their friendship into being romantic while they both have established romantic endings with male characters is slightly creepy. Yes, they also have a paired ending but not every same sex paired ending is romantic.

It's also weird that Ike/Soren gets so much resistance but every time Lyn/Florina comes up everyone just 'accepts' it and say it's the 'best ship ever' or whatever. 

The ship is big enough that I definitely know it exist with some prominence but I never encountered particularly big support for Lyn and Florina, certainly not of the size of Ike and Soren. 

People do ship Lyn and Florina in sizable numbers but I don't think I heard people practically deem the ship to be a fact like they do with Ike and Soren. 

16 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The ship is big enough that I definitely know it exist with some prominence but I never encountered particularly big support for Lyn and Florina, certainly not of the size of Ike and Soren. 

People do ship Lyn and Florina in sizable numbers but I don't think I heard people practically deem the ship to be a fact like they do with Ike and Soren. 

No, Lyn/Florina is definitely not the size of Ike/Soren. I just find it funny that the Ike/Soren got more supporting material yet have the most people vocally against it. Whereas Lyn/Florina has materials against it yet receives little to nobody speaking against it (espeically on Reddit).

I agree that people treat Ike/Soren as a 'fact' whereas Lyn/Florina is more of a headcanon thing though (I just find it a weird/bad pair to ship.)

Edited by zuibangde

On 6/14/2019 at 1:31 AM, zuibangde said:

I agree with this. 100% think the Lyn/Florina headcanons are bad ships.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Slumber said:

I've had many arguments with people who felt that Kozaki's style wasn't a wild shift in the way the series has been presented

I’ve never actually seen this argument, but as someone who didn’t recognize Awakening as a Fire Emblem game until I read the “Fire Emblem” in its title and saw the grid-based combat system, I’ll have to wholeheartedly disagree with them on Kozaki not being a wild shift on the series.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:31 PM, zuibangde said:

Florina only has one paired ending with a dude and it’s with Hector which involves one of the worst supports in the entire game (although their cuteness as a potential couple is admittedly undeniable)

Also, how is any of their paired ending with men established? Established would to me mean that they either canonically always end up together or that their attraction for one another is at least confirmed but I don’t see how Lyn/Rath or Lyn/Hector for example are any more established than one another.

And how is Lyn referring to Florina as her best friend any more problematic than something like Silas calling F!Corrin his best friend and then ending up married to each other? Best friends into lovers is one of the most common romance plots across all cultures and all forms of media.

If you dislike the ship that’s fine but I just don’t see how what you listed makes it a bad ship.

———————————————

Well since I’m here I might as well post my unpopular opinion:

Awakening’s OST was garbage. There was not a single track in the entirety of the game that made me pumped to get into battle or recruit a new character or otherwise catch my attention.

Well there that’s not entirely true since Conquest (Ablaze), Don’t speak her name, Id (Purpose), and Id (Hope) were fantastic. But two of those are only heard once throughout the entire game and the other two only appear when you’re actively engaged in battle so you only get to hear bits of it at a time and one of those is DLC only top it all off. Not to mention only really enjoying four tracks in a game is pretty bad already.