What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh. Well I certainly wasn't expecting to delve into this subject when waking up.

I don't think its quite the same. A fan having a kink and expressing that in his own little corner of the internet doesn't really concern me. Everyone has their own fetish and I'm not one to judge people for that. All power to them. But if I have a feeling a creators kink might be affecting a story they are telling then that could be somewhat distracting. 

But I wouldn't call it sexist. Bondage is primarily a sexual fetish. If someone is into bondage and is entirely straight then its only natural that some tasty Oliver hentai wouldn't really do much for him. Since the amount of straight people massively outnumber the amount of gay and bi people I'd say its only natural.

I didn't know about the bondage fetish but I was searching up something about Micaiah and ended up encountering her captured. This may sound strange but I ended up liking the pics where Micaiah was captured and now I'm ashamed. Maybe I'm not a true Micaiah fan or else why would I like to see her captured. 

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FE9:

Hide contents
  1. Titania- Not captured.
  2. Mia- Not captured onscreen, but was rescued by Greil offscreen beforehand.
  3. Ilyana- Forced to fight under threat of death.
  4.  Mist- Not captured.
  5.  Marcia- Not captured.
  6. Lethe- Not captured.
  7. Nephenee- Captive with some dudes.
  8. Jill- Not captured.
  9. Astrid- Not captured.
  10. Tanith- Not captured.
  11. Calill- Not captured.
  12. Lucia- Not captured.
  13. Elincia- Not captured, though having to flee from Daein during the game's beginning.
  14. Ena- Captured trying to see her beloved again.

3-5 out 14 cases, not bad. 

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Micaiah- Captured and quickly released for one chapter.
  2. Laura- Same.
  3. Ilyana- Same.
  4. Meg- Not captured.
  5. Jill- Not captured.
  6. Fiona- Not captured.
  7. Vika- Not captured.
  8. Nailah- Who the hell would be able to capture this war goddess?
  9. Elincia- Not captured.
  10. Marcia- Not captured.
  11. Leanne- Not captured in this game, but was a notable NPC damsel in the prior one.
  12. Nephenee- Not captured here.
  13. Heather- Not captured.
  14. Lucia- Captive.
  15. Lethe- Not captured.
  16. Astrid- Not captured.
  17. Calill- Not captured.
  18. Titania- Not captured.
  19. Mist- Not captured.
  20. Mia- Not captured.
  21. Lyre- Not captured.
  22. Sigrun- Not captured, but does spend time unofficially and nonphysically restrained by Sanaki's capture.
  23. Tanith- ^^ Same.
  24. Sanaki- Captured.
  25. Ena- Not captured.

Only two major cases of captivity in 25. With three very short imprisonments, one playable with a recent NPC past of captivity, and two who were likely be watched for suspicious activity, but never arrested.

Mist does get captured early on with Rolf

Edited by Icelerate

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Icelerate said:

I didn't know about the bondage fetish but I was searching up something about Micaiah and ended up encountering her captured. This may sound strange but I ended up liking the pics where Micaiah was captured and now I'm ashamed. Maybe I'm not a true Micaiah fan or else why would I like to see her captured. 

I wouldn't feel bad about it. Most Fire Emblem characters, male and female alike are designed to be conventionally attractive so liking them in mildly suggestive situations is pretty understandable, especially if you already feel strongly about the character which judging by your profile pic you do. 

The Thracia776 list is missing Linoan, btw.

Personally, ultimately the whole thing neither bothers me much... or really even care. As stated, it's war. People need rescue, others get captured first, while yet others are coerced to act against their wishes while using someone captured as blackmail. Ultimately, just because Gaiden/Echoes decided to have a disbalance the one time... so what.

Then again, is it really that unbalanced. There's Jesse who is captive, Zeke is coerced to fight, and don't you have to rescue/help Valvar, Kamui, and Leon? Something like that, could be more, admitedly I don't really know at the moment.

Anyway, since it's not like that ratio has repeated itself. As it is, I can live with it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Don't know how people will think of this, but I haven't heard anyone else say this so I'll count it.

(BS spoilers)

Spoiler

You know how Ninian supposedly dies young enough in the event she marries Eliwood despite being half-dragon? How it gets explained through the fallout of the scouring which is contradictory to BB because it would mean Fae and one of my least favourite villains couldn't have made it to that time?

There's a goddamm simpler answer to her dying far younger than she should that isn't because of the fallout from The Scouring: it could be that using a spell to ressurect someone in Elibe is also draining on the soul of the ressurected and thus brings down their quintessence by a great deal, to the point their lifeforce is severely reduced. Hell, this could be compounded by her being stabbed by Durandal as well. This doesn't even have to contradict the other games as how they resurrected Ninian is different and this could also be less difficult to do in other lands in the series.

On top of that, the dragon's gate itself is draining on dragons to being with, so this could also have limited her and Nils's life to begin with, helping prevent confusion with the dragons in the finale as well.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Vince777 said:

Not just Fire Emblem but I'll mention it because it has so many fans:
Japanese voice acting is always horrendous.

I partially agree with you. I mean, why would I prefer listening to a language that I do not understand? Even if I liked the "sound" of it, I would rather listen to a language that I can actually speak. And it is precisely because I value video game voice acting as a cultural expression that I would rather have it in a language that I am familiar with. The purpose of voice acting is to enhance our experience of the game, and I would certainly love to improve mine.

Using Japanese as an example, I am aware that it is my ignorance of the Japanese language and culture what makes me dislike the high pitch of female voices and the rhythm of most conversations. But since I dislike the "sound" of it, I cannot really tell whether it is good acting or not. Thus, why can I not have it in German? Or Spanish? Or French? Or whatever language it is that the player can understand. (A rhetorical question, of course; for I know the economic resources that multiple-language voice acting would demand.)
By listening to a Japanese voice acting, I am actually missing great part of the video game experience, and not enriching it.

Do note that I am exclusively talking about video game voice acting, not film dubbing nor any other cultural expression in a different language like, say, a concert.

11 minutes ago, starburst said:

I partially agree with you. I mean, why would I prefer listening to a language that I do not understand? Even if I liked the "sound" of it, I would rather listen to a language that I can actually speak. And it is precisely because I value video game voice acting as a cultural expression that I would rather have it in a language that I am familiar with. The purpose of voice acting is to enhance our experience of the game, and I would certainly love to improve mine.

Using Japanese as an example, I am aware that it is my ignorance of the Japanese language and culture what makes me dislike the high pitch of female voices and the rhythm of most conversations. But since I dislike the "sound" of it, I cannot really tell whether it is good acting or not. Thus, why can I not have it in German? Or Spanish? Or French? Or whatever language it is that the player can understand. (A rhetorical question, of course; for I know the economic resources that multiple-language voice acting would demand.)
By listening to a Japanese voice acting, I am actually missing great part of the video game experience, and not enriching it.

Do note that I am exclusively talking about video game voice acting, not film dubbing nor any other cultural expression in a different language like, say, a concert.

I always watch anime dubbed for several reasons, namely that it lets me appreciate the visuals more by not having to pay attention to text at the bottom of the screen, and also that subtitles can spoil lines that need to be experienced right when they're said.

The only exceptions are if the dub is bad, or if it's Jojo. I can't watch Jojo in English. It's so aggressively, psychotically Japanese that a localization is just about physically impossible.

Edited by Alastor15243

I think axes are by far the worst weapon in the game. Axe units hit extremely hard, sure, but along with that comes no hit and no doubling capacity. Axe units are unreliable. Axes disgust me. 

6 hours ago, Mukmuk said:

I think axes are by far the worst weapon in the game. Axe units hit extremely hard, sure, but along with that comes no hit and no doubling capacity. Axe units are unreliable. Axes disgust me. 

I see someone hasn't been introduced to Tellius. 

SoV Spoilers

Spoiler

I find Berkut and Rinea's fan following...bizarre. Berkut spends most of their interactions snapping at her and then in the climax of the story he murders her and enslaves her soul but I guess being hot and tragic makes them the best couple ever? Like... I get the tragedy part but people have crucified characters for having a single bad support like Hana or Leonie (with their respective avatar supports) but Berkut gets a pass. Rinea isn't even that deep as a character, she barely has any lines and just exists to be Berkut's girlfriend. If anything, the story drives the point home that them not understanding each other's feelings is what caused their tragic ending. Still a better love story than Twilight, but only just.

Edited by NekoKnight

13 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

SoV Spoilers

Hide contents

I find Berkut and Rinea's fan following...bizarre. Berkut spends most of their interactions snapping at her and then in the climax of the story he murders her and enslaves her soul but I guess being hot and tragic makes them the best couple ever? Like... I get the tragedy part but people have crucified characters for having a single bad support like Hana or Leonie (with their respective avatar supports) but Berkut gets a pass. Rinea isn't even that deep as a character, she barely has any lines and just exists to be Berkut's girlfriend. If anything, the story drives the point home that them not understanding each other's feelings is what caused their tragic ending. Still a better love story than Twilight, but only just.

Yeah honestly I don’t get it either then again I don’t get a lot of reasons why people think SoV’s writing can be considered good on any conceivable level but whatever. Like honestly if Rinea was an actual fucking character this wouldn’t bother me so much but she’s not. She’s just a plot device meant to humanize Berkut which just makes the romance come off as one-sided. Like the writers want me to think it’s one of mutual trust and love but like the way it’s written makes it come off more as Berkut emotionally manipulating and abusing Rinea which just makes the whole thing feel forced and lukewarm. the double standards of the FE community at its finest ladies and gentlemen.

Why do people think this story is good again?

28 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

SoV Spoilers

Hide contents

Seriously, I think the only reason anyone likes Berkut is his voice. I can picture half of his lines being said in angsty whiny prequel trilogy Anakin's voice and it fits too well. I mean I like him as a villain, but considering him sympathetic is a stretch for me.

Edited by Alastor15243

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Seriously, I think the only reason anyone likes Berkut is his voice. I can picture half of his lines being said in angsty whiny prequel trilogy Anakin's voice and it fits too well. I mean I like him as a villain, but considering him sympathetic is a stretch for me.

Actually I’d argue the opposite he’s a good even great character but as a villain he just falls flat. Hell I think Surtr’s a better villain than Berkut simply because for as little as it may be at least Surtr forces Alfonse to undergo SOME kind of character development. Berkut can’t even do that because the narrative impact he has on Alm is negligible at best and at worst is completely meaningless and nonexistent.

27 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

They sold people a sympathetic backstory in the art book though and with the wedding ring. Because Berkut like all Echoes orginal characters got screwed. As a villain he just lost and Rigel forgot him when he was super popular there. He has zero impact on the plot or characters.

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I hate commoners, they're coarse and rough and they get everywhere.

Spoiler

I like him as a concept. He works well as a foil to Alm for their different temperaments as fellow Rigelians and to Celica, both being a representative of their country's ideologies. Berkut lived his whole life thinking he'd be the emperor only for Rudolf to fuck him over completely. I think the scene where he has his breakdown and misunderstands Rinea's compassion as her being party to the lie he was told his whole life, to be very well written. That said, he has very poor chemistry with Rinea, and he kills her which their fans seem to forget.

The biggest hurdle for Berkut is that the writers wanted to add a new character without changing anything about Alm's story, so Berkut has to be a whiny loser the whole time.

that's what gets me about echoes is that it has its moments where I can a see a glimpse just a glimpse of an amazing story but no I don't get that because for whatever the fuck reason the writers just kinda spilled spaghetti everywhere and made alm all fucking perfect which just fucks so hard with the messages that the story is trying to explore like shit. I swear to god if they had just proof read this just one more time and fixed all the glaring thematic issues(which isn't hard mind you cause it would require very few changes) then this story could've been great!

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

SoV Spoilers

Hide contents

Being a non-sexualized character when they could have easily made her one, fire memes, and being a great candidate for a non-fanservicy dancer that isn't an alt in Heroes are about the only reasons I can think of for Rineas "popularity". She could also be considered a subtle foil to Celica (both detest violence, but Celica doesn't back down if fighting is the only option, while Rinea leaves the scene when it looks like things will get bloody at Zofia castle. Celica also wasn't afraid to confront Alm when she disagreed with him taking the war route (even though he wasn't really in a position to end the conflict peacefully, but that's a discussion for elsewhere), while Rinea is passive about Berkut's outbursts to the point it leads to her death) but I don't see that aspect brought up much.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Never underestimate a great performance! Good acting can take the most corny or ridiculous of lines and situations and make them work to great effect.

While "sympathetic" is a stretch I agree, it's not hard to see why people consider Berkut's situation tragic. His entire world did come crashing down in a very short timeframe, after all, and most of it was outside of his control. His act of desperation only leading to more loss does add some additional sadness to the whole situation.

6 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Being a non-sexualized character when they could have easily made her one, fire memes, and being a great candidate for a non-fanservicy dancer that isn't an alt in Heroes are about the only reasons I can think of for Rineas "popularity". 

To be fair the whole “could’ve easily sexualized her but didn’t” could be said of every “non-sexualized” female character in any game. I mean just look at Faye. They could’ve easily sexualized her but didn’t and people(myself included) despise her so I don’t think that’s it. Like that’s way too broad of a statement.

Ok here I go I guess.

1. Edelgard has such misguided beliefs and is completely irredeemable.

2. Claude is probably the best written lord in the series, and nothing about him contradicts anything in the story.

3. I'm not sure if its unpopular, but Hanneman is just really boring.

8 hours ago, Flere210 said:

If Berkut and Rinea were in Fates or Awakening they would be more hated than Camilla imo.

Assuming they're in either of those games and they would have the same basic story then they would probably be minor villains.

That would in turn diminish their popularity by a lot. Still, no way they would be more hated than Camilla, she's easily one of the most hated controversial FE characters, not a single doubt about that.

38 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Assuming they're in either of those games and they would have the same basic story then they would probably be minor villains.

That would in turn diminish their popularity by a lot. Still, no way they would be more hated than Camilla, she's easily one of the most hated controversial FE characters, not a single doubt about that.

My point is that exist a massive bias toward fates and awakening simply because they were not what certain older fans wanted, that lead them to judge everything in those games much more harshly. And i would add that echoes get positive bias just by being more like the older games. A good example of that is how Camilla and Tharja have actual personality traits outide of "yandere for the protagonist" but Faye receive much less criticism despite lacking those traits(ok maybe is for the clothing, but i want to hope that people don't judge characters only on that). Or how people bend over backward to pretend that FE7 is any better than the 3ds games despite "Quintessence i don't understand" and "Fire emblem 7 is the worst thing since my son" existing.

Rinea is just one of the worst clichè that ever plagued fiction. The female character whose only purpose of existing is to humanize a male character, wich is terrible as a storytelling device on top of being sexist as fuck.

Berkut is a litlle better but his precence became slightly more menacing than Team Rocket very quickly and he highlight the fundamental contradiction in the plot. Hell, the whole commoner vs noble subplot only exist for the sake of Berkut and Fernand, and the story would be 10 times better whitout it. 

If echoes would be judged with the same attitude fateswakening are judged, those things won't be pardoned. 

Edited by Flere210

10 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I think you can do that if you hear him in Japanese.

I like his English Voice, but the Japanese fits his kind of character more.

Edited by Troykv