What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

19 hours ago, Fire Brand said:

I see someone hasn't been introduced to Tellius. 

Well, hate to break it to you, but I have. 

In general, axes are my least favorite weapon. That's it. I honestly don't care that axes were absolutely busted in the Wii games, because it's true. I can totally appreciate my horde of horses in PoR busting through the enemy with axes, but otherwise...nah. I'll pass. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know how unpopular it is, but s supports are unnecessary. get it done in an a or not at all. really don't want to have to grind for yet another support rank, not when some units have an ending with an a. 

1 minute ago, Shinehollow said:

don't know how unpopular it is, but s supports are unnecessary. get it done in an a or not at all. really don't want to have to grind for yet another support rank, not when some units have an ending with an a. 

The number of supports a game gives sets of units doesn't actually determine how long it takes to get them. There are some games where it takes an absurd number of turns to get A rank, to the point where it'd be way faster in normal play to get an S rank in, say, Fates.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

The number of supports a game gives sets of units doesn't actually determine how long it takes to get them. There are some games where it takes an absurd number of turns to get A rank, to the point where it'd be way faster in normal play to get an S rank in, say, Fates.

I know, it's just kind of a personal frustration with me. 

12 hours ago, Flere210 said:

My point is that exist a massive bias toward fates and awakening simply because they were not what certain older fans wanted, that lead them to judge everything in those games much more harshly. And i would add that echoes get positive bias just by being more like the older games. A good example of that is how Camilla and Tharja have actual personality traits outide of "yandere for the protagonist" but Faye receive much less criticism despite lacking those traits(ok maybe is for the clothing, but i want to hope that people don't judge characters only on that). Or how people bend over backward to pretend that FE7 is any better than the 3ds games despite "Quintessence i don't understand" and "Fire emblem 7 is the worst thing since my son" existing.

Rinea is just one of the worst clichè that ever plagued fiction. The female character whose only purpose of existing is to humanize a male character, wich is terrible as a storytelling device on top of being sexist as fuck.

Berkut is a litlle better but his precence became slightly more menacing than Team Rocket very quickly and he highlight the fundamental contradiction in the plot. Hell, the whole commoner vs noble subplot only exist for the sake of Berkut and Fernand, and the story would be 10 times better whitout it. 

If echoes would be judged with the same attitude fateswakening are judged, those things won't be pardoned. 

Camilla and Tharja also get flack for their design, so in that regard Faye is less hated because of her design. She still is overall not that well liked and was considered one of the worst SoV characters at release. Not sure about now but people still don't have a good opinion on her afaik.

I agree with the things you're saying about Berkut and Rhea and I agree that people overrate them (their reception in Heroes was positive even) and I also agree that people go easy on SoV (probably because they were just happy not to have another Awakening/Fates game) but even so I still don't think that people would dislike Rhinea/Berkut more than Camilla.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, Flere210 said:

Or how people bend over backward to pretend that FE7 is any better than the 3ds games despite "Quintessence i don't understand" and "Fire emblem 7 is the worst thing since my son" existing.

That thread and series of videos are not objective proof that FE7 is worse than the 3DS games. First of all, neither of those two examples make the claim or attempt to prove that FE7 is worse written than the 3DS games. Secondly, FE7 could be better in other ways such as gameplay which neither of those examples cover. Thirdly, the quality of a game/story is entirely subjective so just because one person argues that a particular game/story is good doesn't mean it's some objective truth that everyone has to now agree upon. Even if I agreed that the quality of a story is objective, whether or not those examples prove that it sucks is entirely subjective unless critiques are supposed to show objective reality. 

Edited by Icelerate

4 minutes ago, Lysithea said:

Idk how popular this is, but FE5's fatigue was great and has to come back. It is a realistic mechanics which also forces to the player to do experience sharing. 

The only problem i have whit it is that is difficulty tof scaling enemies and stats benchmarks on that system. Thracia got away whit it because enemies were trash in the first place, but in a modern game whit skills and lunatic modes it would cause some headache. Something like RD bexp would go a long way to fix that, or Gaide /3H promotions.

I'd love to see it again if done properly.

I got a bunch:

1) Byleth is the Aeris of FE16; the game would legitimitely be better without their existance.

2) FE7 is better than any game from FE11 onwards (until FE16) since the gameplay actually feels like it flows. Caveat here is that I haven't played FE15.

3) The Avatar is a terrible idea and should be scrapped.

4) FE4 should never get a remake because chances are that they fuck it up and we will all crucify IS for that one.

Edited by Life

1 hour ago, Life said:

I got a bunch:

1) Byleth is the Aeris of FE16; the game would legitimitely be better without their existance.

The game would certainly be better if they were anything other than a special-needs mute who can't function without time travel powers and still manages to repeatedly screw up even with them.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

The game would certainly be better if they were anything other than a special-needs mute who can't function without time travel powers and still manages to repeatedly screw up even with them.

I've never played Fates; is Byleth worse than Corrin or does Corrin still hold the title for worst protagonist ever?

On 9/7/2019 at 2:45 AM, Flere210 said:

A good example of that is how Camilla and Tharja have actual personality traits outide of "yandere for the protagonist" but Faye receive much less criticism despite lacking those traits

You could argue those traits actually makes it worse for Camilla and Tharja. 

Unlike Faye Camilla has quite the interesting backstory and she has shown to be interesting when she's allowed to talk about anything other than her Corrin fetish. But that's the problem. We know Camilla had potential but the writers decided that Camilla's Corrin fetish was the most important and interesting aspect of her. Despite there being a lot more interesting things Camilla could be doing the writers ensured that her Corrin fetish took up the vast majority of her screentime. In the end Camilla isn't defined by her traumatic childhood but by really wanting to get into her little brother's pants. The interesting traits can be seen as a redeeming quality of Camilla but they can also be seen as incredibly frustrating. They are a constant reminder that Camilla could have been a very compelling character if the writers had their priorities straight. 

Faye doesn't really have that problem since the ambition behind her conception was already so lacking. She never had a chance to be all that interesting. Faye's Alm fetish is also a little different from Camilla's Corrin fetish. Alm is supposed to represent Alm but Corrin represents the player directly. Faye being so obsessed with Alm is just her being weird, but Camilla being so obsessed with Corrin has the off putting intention of her essentially always being obsessed with the player too. 

I think that's what is so off putting about Fates to a lot of people. Every game has flaws and makes mistakes but with Fates its likely that a lot of these flaws don't come from mistakes but from the devs knowingly prioritizing the wrong things because fanservice sells. I don't think Berkut works out very well but I believe he was created with the best of intentions. With the things holding Camilla, Corrin and Garon back I really doubt that. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

26 minutes ago, Life said:

I've never played Fates; is Byleth worse than Corrin or does Corrin still hold the title for worst protagonist ever?

I would argue that Byleth is worse than Corrin. At least when Corrin needed divine intervention from a spacetime dragon to save their life, it was because the sword they were using was evil and literally dragged them off a cliff out of nowhere.

Actually, it's hard to say, because they're stupid in very, very different ways.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think is more stupid:

(Three Houses and Fates spoilers)

Spoiler

* Not being able to figure out that Azura is Azura just because she put on a dark blue outfit and wore a face veil (to be fair she was pretty far away when Corrin saw her)

* Taking an incredibly long time before it actually sinks in that your father is irredeemably evil

* Agreeing with your weird dancing cousin that the best way to defeat Garon and save Hoshido is to let Garon conquer it completely, because the Hoshidan throne is magic and will reveal that he's actually an evil goo monster and that the father your Nohrian siblings are so loyal to is actually long, long dead, thus finally convincing your family of Camuses that the war is wrong

* Thinking that subjugating an entire country and killing thousands of innocent people just so you can defeat your father without your siblings getting mad at you makes you a noble, tortured martyr rather than a selfish coward

* Being incredibly quick to trust strangers to the point that it nearly bites you in the ass on a few occasions

Or...

* Having seven whole seconds to figure out a plan to stop that charging axe bandit from attacking a girl, and despite having years of soldier training, coming up with nothing better than just pushing Edelgard out of the way and tanking the blow with the back of your neck

* Taking several weeks before it finally sinks in that there's a voice in your head who can talk to you at any time

* Giving up on saving your father despite having the power to rewind time because you rewound a few seconds once and it didn't work (in fairness they did a very poor job of communicating if the rules for rewinding are different in story compared to gameplay because the divine pulse is criminally underutilized in story)

*Getting banished to the shadow realm because you forgot for ten whole seconds that you have the power to rewind time

*Falling off a cliff into a five year coma because you forgot for ten whole seconds that you have the power to rewind time

Edited by Alastor15243

44 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I would argue that Byleth is worse than Corrin. At least when Corrin needed divine intervention from a spacetime dragon to save their life, it was because the sword they were using was evil and literally dragged them off a cliff out of nowhere.

Actually, it's hard to say, because they're stupid in very, very different ways.

Hide contents

* Not being able to figure out that Azura is Azura just because she put on a dark blue outfit and wore a face veil (to be fair she was pretty far away when Corrin saw her)

* Taking an incredibly long time before it actually sinks in that your father is irredeemably evil

* Agreeing with your weird dancing cousin that the best way to defeat Garon and save Hoshido is to let Garon conquer it completely, because the Hoshidan throne is magic and will reveal that he's actually an evil goo monster and that the father your Nohrian siblings are so loyal to is actually long, long dead, thus finally convincing your family of Camuses that the war is wrong

* Thinking that subjugating an entire country and killing thousands of innocent people just so you can defeat your father without your siblings getting mad at you makes you a noble, tortured martyr rather than selfish coward

* Being incredibly quick to trust strangers to the point that it nearly bites you in the ass on a few occasions

Or...

* Having seven whole seconds to figure out a plan to stop that charging axe bandit from attacking a girl, and despite having years of soldier training, coming up with nothing better than just pushing Edelgard out of the way and tanking the blow with the back of your neck

* Taking several weeks before it finally sinks in that there's a voice in your head who can talk to you at any time

* Giving up on saving your father despite having the power to rewind time because you rewound a few seconds once and it didn't work (in fairness they did a very poor job of communicating if the rules for rewinding are different in story compared to gameplay because the divine pulse is criminally underutilized in story)

*Getting banished to the shadow realm because you forgot for ten whole seconds that you have the power to rewind time

*Falling off a cliff into a five year coma because you forgot for ten whole seconds that you have the power to rewind time

Actually, let's expand out on Byleth because I am relatively certain that Byleth is the only objectively bad thing about this game. I don't care about spoilers anymore, this game has been out for over a month and this community has picked it clean within the first two weeks of its existance.

So let's start with the "Rewind Time" feature which is the least egregious sin of Byleth. And I'll be the first to praise this game for using it in the plot to attempt to reverse Jeralt's dealth.

This reminded me of FFV when Galuf dies and the party tries to use items and spells on him to no avail. This is actually good plot development because it does actually give off the "death is actually death and not just plot armour for the miraculous reveal later"  vibe and since this series is built on the fundamental concept of perma-death, not being able to save Jeralt is a good thing.

But holy shit, does it create plot holes that are just stupid when you try to think about them... and they all stem from Byleth's existance.

First off, because Thales appears to save Kronya from dying here, that is stupid to the nth degree because Solon simply just sacrifices her soul a month later. Was that the plan all along? Why not use some other mook? Or did Solon go rogue? This shit is not explained well because even the game understands that Byleth is entirely uninteresting and just wants to get to the meat and potatoes of the story already (the Holy War that was aped from FE4).

Secondly, why kill Jeralt in the first place? I find it hilarious that when we first meet Jeralt, anyone familiar with the series was thinking "well, here's a Greil clone" except that Greil's death actually means something because now Ike and Mist are stuck in a foreign land without their father and a dwindling band of mercs. Jeralt's death literally feels like going through the motions... except there is no logical reason for him to die. Maybe it's because I haven't done the Church route yet but it really feels cheap if you've played FE4 or FE9 (and maybe even FE13).

My only question was "why is it Chapter 9 already and Jeralt is still alive?". Then the cutscene starts and I'm relieved because I'm not wrong about this obvious death.

The whole thing is stupid.

Now, let's dissect the more serious issue about Byleth; the lack of personality that apparently doubles as a personality.

I had someone on YouTube try to honestly convince me that Byleth's lack of a heartbeat is a character flaw.

Byleth has no character flaws (aside from being thick as shit). Byleth also has no character traits. Byleth exists only for the obligatory avatar wank that has plagued this series since FE12.

A character flaw is a deficiency in a person's moral or ethical compasses that create conflict (big or small) with someone else. Byleth is never in conflict with anyone because Byleth doesn't have ANY deficiencies. Byleth follows Edelgard into the abyss and passively encourages her to keep up with her genocide for "peace's sake" despite clearly understanding how goddamn hypocritical it is AND not actually having a personal stake in the matter since plot armour keeps Byleth alive after the death of the Immaculate One regardless of his role or not. Byleth is pointless in Claude's journey due to simply replacing the mirror that Claude would obviously be talking to instead. It's really only with Dimitri does Byleth actually have some reason to exist... and could have been entirely replaced by another character like Felix who could snap Dimitri out of his funk after Rodrigue's death.

And let's be honest, we're here for the three way war which is actually done really nicely. Sure, Edelgard gets a bit shafted by the writing but she still has a complex and deep character that invokes serious contemplation about ethics.

This game could have been better than Geneology in every aspect... if only Byleth didn't exist.

/rant over

Oh and the designs are also garbage. God, I hate Byleth.

Edited by Life

On 9/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, Ottservia said:

To be fair the whole “could’ve easily sexualized her but didn’t” could be said of every “non-sexualized” female character in any game. I mean just look at Faye. They could’ve easily sexualized her but didn’t and people(myself included) despise her so I don’t think that’s it. Like that’s way too broad of a statement.

The reason I brought that up is that it would have been easy to give Berkut a woman (or two) just to serve as eye candy. Considering how common the trope is in works that feature a nation or faction that priorities strength, few people would bat an eye if Berkut was one of those kind of people. Even if he cared about the woman in question, her wearing a skimpy outfit and/or having a sexy design would bring to question what he really prioritized in their relationship (to say nothing of whether or not the female was using him for power or influence).

Instead, Rinea was given a modest design, killing the notion that Berkut only keeps her around for fanservice. And in their memory prism, Berkut approaches her instead of the other way around, and doesn't let the fact that Rineas family is going through hard times deter him from learning more about her, making the interpretation that Rinea is only marrying him for power and money unlikely. So there is something genuine present in their relationship, even if it doesn't get as much development or focus as it should have.

Spoiler

Doesn't stop Berkut from sacrificing her for more power. When pushed to the brink, people show what they really value.

If Faye had a fanservicey design, it would raise a lot of questions and quite a number of unsaid answers regarding her obsession with Alm. Simultaneously, it would also remove potential alternative interpretations of her character, since any analysis would have to address they way she dresses. On the developers side, it would appear to fans that they once again tried to compensate questionable writing with fanservice, which would only earn them more ire. Sexualizing Faye would have done more harm than good no matter which way you cut it.

(Also, sorry for replying late. The last two weeks were busy for me.)

Edited by Hawkwing
Added critique about Faye.

Here's mine

Outside of combat, 3 Houses is easily the slowest FE game to play, and outside of combat it's pretty boring. 

Sprites are better than 3D overworld models, did a better job of differentiating units from eachother, made it easier to indicate what class an enemy was, and made it easier to see who hasn't used up their turn yet.

Voiced supports are nice, however I can read faster than the characters can speak, so I kinda think they're a waster of time.

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Here's mine

Outside of combat, 3 Houses is easily the slowest FE game to play, and outside of combat it's pretty boring. 

Sprites are better than 3D overworld models, did a better job of differentiating units from eachother, made it easier to indicate what class an enemy was, and made it easier to see who hasn't used up their turn yet.

Voiced supports are nice, however I can read faster than the characters can speak, so I kinda think they're a waster of time.

I agree with every one of these except only halfway on the last. I liked them in SoV, but when you have to listen to so damned many at once because the game gives you way too many support points... well I already didn't think too highly of 3H's voice acting, so you can imagine what this did to my patience for the supports.

Edited by Alastor15243

I think I’m just a contrarian deep down because I whenever I see the owo must protect and see Marianne smile my appreciation of her character dwindles just a bit on Reddit or wherever I find fanart  

I know you’re not supposed to let outside things influence your opinions on things but man it just gets to you after awhile. 

Its also part of the reason why I probably dislike Binding Blade and Echoes (particularly plot here) more than most, because I had expectations for those games that they like almost never reached ever. 

As for 3H... it was fine. I enjoyed the story but it falls under scrutiny for comparing events between routes and I’m torn for Byleth being the first avatar to feel like an avatar but I don’t think that’s a particularly good thing. It gets major points for integration of characters into the main plot of an FE game well too. I don’t think I’ll ever want to revisit it again though unlike other FEs. Like even though I didn’t love Binding Blade I kinda want to play it again for the route split (not Sacae lol) and try out a handful of other units. 

Edited by SubwayBossEmmett

On 9/15/2019 at 8:01 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Hide contents

* Thinking that subjugating an entire country and killing thousands of innocent people just so you can defeat your father without your siblings getting mad at you makes you a noble, tortured martyr rather than a selfish coward

Or...

It's hard to take your Byleth criticisms seriously when they boil down to how well a gameplay mechanic (rewinding time) is married to the narrative. The reason you can rewind time is because it was a gameplay mechanic in echoes. They did try to tie it into the narrative, even having you use it in a cutscene to stop a certain event, but it's really not that consequential to the story otherwise.

The problem lies in time travel being waaaay too convenient and it logically being the answer (aka drama destroyer) to every conceivable problem in the story. So it's largely ignored. Is this a bad thing? Well, it's not the cleanest story telling but that's a greater narrative flaw which has nothing to do with Byleth as a character. If you wanted to make a real equivalent with Corrin, you ought to talk about how Corrin has a pocket dimension that they can go to at any time in order to rest, restock or get away from enemy spies (which is certainly relevant in Conquest). This is never brought up again after its introduced, but that also has nothing to do with Corrin. It's just a gameplay element that they lazily justified in story (Alm also has time travel powers that really don't matter as far as the plot is concerned).

So you strip away the gameplay/story excuses and what do you have? Corrin makes imbecilic, outrageously immoral decisions in the story and Byleth... well in your list, all you'd have left is that he jumps in front of an axe, and the game immediately points out that was stupid.

15 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

It's hard to take your Byleth criticisms seriously when they boil down to how well a gameplay mechanic (rewinding time) is married to the narrative. The reason you can rewind time is because it was a gameplay mechanic in echoes. They did try to tie it into the narrative, even having you use it in a cutscene to stop a certain event, but it's really not that consequential to the story otherwise.

The problem lies in time travel being waaaay too convenient and it logically being the answer (aka drama destroyer) to every conceivable problem in the story. So it's largely ignored. Is this a bad thing? Well, it's not the cleanest story telling but that's a greater narrative flaw which has nothing to do with Byleth as a character. If you wanted to make a real equivalent with Corrin, you ought to talk about how Corrin has a pocket dimension that they can go to at any time in order to rest, restock or get away from enemy spies (which is certainly relevant in Conquest). This is never brought up again after its introduced, but that also has nothing to do with Corrin. It's just a gameplay element that they lazily justified in story (Alm also has time travel powers that really don't matter as far as the plot is concerned).

So you strip away the gameplay/story excuses and what do you have? Corrin makes imbecilic, outrageously immoral decisions in the story and Byleth... well in your list, all you'd have left is that he jumps in front of an axe, and the game immediately points out that was stupid.

I don't agree you can divorce the bad writing of giving someone a story-breaker power and then having them never use it from the character who never uses it. Especially when in other scenes they DO use it in-story (if really half-assed and pathetically). The game makes just enough effort to establish that Byleth can totally canonically rewind time that it makes it impossible to ignore the fact that Byleth almost never thinks to do it. And when I watch these scenes, I'm watching somebody who has been shown in cutscenes, not just in gameplay, but in multiple cutscenes, to be able to rewind time, and yet constantly gets caught like a deer in the headlights whenever anything bad happens to them.

Your comments about My Castle are fair though. I think I might have mixed up the rules and limitations I gave it in my head for my narrative let's play and forgotten they aren't actually stated to exist.

As for Echoes, everyone seems to have conflicting accounts about whether Alm and Celica count as people who could rewind time but don't out of stupidity, because the story and the gameplay give very, very, VERY different answers to what the turnwheel even does. The gameplay tutorial outright says it gives the power to rewind time, but unlike with Byleth, it's never used in this capacity in the actual story, whether that be animated cutscenes or just text scenes. Meanwhile the narrative heavily implies that the reason why it functions as such in gameplay is because you're turning your current state of gameplay into a bad future prophecy like the one Alm got when Silque gave it to him, and then you're sending that to past Alm or Celica. In the former explanation, Alm and Celica are the ones with the power to fix everything that goes wrong, while in the latter, you, the cruel and capricious god of the turnwheel, are the one who decides who deserves to be spared or not.

This is why I'm very, very scared about the Genealogy remake. If they do the prophecy angle, it just might work to give the player the ability to rewind time despite everything horrible that happens, but they have to bring up how awful and cruel the god in the turnwheel had to be to let the events of Gen 1 happen, and if they go that route I'm really hoping they give Seliph the chance to destroy it and refuse to follow the turnwheel's advice.

Edited by Alastor15243

I don't agree you can divorce the bad writing of giving someone a story-breaker power and then having them never use it from the character who never uses it. Especially when in other scenes they DO use it in-story (if really half-assed and pathetically). The game makes just enough effort to establish that Byleth can totally canonically rewind time that it makes it impossible to ignore the fact that Byleth almost never thinks to do it. And when I watch these scenes, I'm watching somebody who has been shown in cutscenes, not just in gameplay, but in multiple cutscenes, to be able to rewind time, and yet constantly gets caught like a deer in the headlights whenever anything bad happens to them.

Your comments about My Castle are fair though. I think I might have mixed up the rules and limitations I gave it in my head for my narrative let's play and forgotten they aren't actually stated to exist.

As for Echoes, everyone seems to have conflicting accounts about whether Alm and Celica count as people who could rewind time but don't out of stupidity, because the story and the gameplay give very, very, VERY different answers to what the turnwheel even does. The gameplay tutorial outright says it gives the power to rewind time, but unlike with Byleth, it's never used in this capacity in the actual story, whether that be animated cutscenes or just text scenes. Meanwhile the narrative heavily implies that the reason why it functions as such in gameplay is because you're turning your current state of gameplay into a bad future prophecy like the one Alm got when Silque gave it to him, and then you're sending that to past Alm or Celica. In the former explanation, Alm and Celica are the ones with the power to fix everything that goes wrong, while in the latter, you, the cruel and capricious god of the turnwheel, are the one who decides who deserves to be spared or not.

This is why I'm very, very scared about the Genealogy remake. If they do the prophecy angle, it just might work to give the player the ability to rewind time despite everything horrible that happens, but they have to bring up how awful and cruel the god in the turnwheel had to be to let the events of Gen 1 happen, and if they go that route I'm really hoping they give Seliph the chance to destroy it and refuse to follow the turnwheel's advice.

I see. I don't disagree that it creates some sloppy writing in terms of the story, but I choose to look at it as primarily a gameplay element loosely tied into the story. If you want to treat it 100% seriously, then you have to take to task Corrin and Alm/Celica for having super powers that are barely used even thought they're 'canon'. Like, could Alm rewind time to prevent himself from killing Rudolf? Could Corrin have escaped that Faceless ambush in Conquest by using his space/time powers to hop in his pocket dimension? Everything starts to unravel if you take the gameplay powers too seriously.

Even if you do want to hold the story 100% accountable for this mechanic, it makes more sense to me to blame the story as a whole for not letting its characters use their super powers at critical moments rather than accuse the characters themselves of being morons.

Just now, NekoKnight said:

If you want to treat it 100% seriously, then you have to take to task Corrin and Alm/Celica for having super powers that are barely used even thought they're 'canon'. Like, could Alm rewind time to prevent himself from killing Rudolf? Could Corrin have escaped that Faceless ambush in Conquest by using his space/time powers to hop in his pocket dimension? Everything starts to unravel if you take the gameplay powers too seriously.

Like I said, kind of for Corrin, though it's less in your face with that one, and a big old "it depends" for Alm and Celica. If the prophecy theory is wrong and Alm and Celica can literally just rewind time, then yes they're both dumb as bricks, Celica most of all.

Like I said, kind of for Corrin, though it's less in your face with that one, and a big old "it depends" for Alm and Celica. If the prophecy theory is wrong and Alm and Celica can literally just rewind time, then yes they're both dumb as bricks, Celica most of all.

Was Celica not dumb as bricks before considering time travel issues?