What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

4 hours ago, Kai the glove eating night said:

>I can't find a reason to play 9 and 10. They both look boring and I don't know why I would play it when I can play something else.

FE 10 does a lot of weird things with its multipart part structure, which might interest you, as the availability of units, and overall difficulty curve is sufficiently flawed, and far from the Fire Emblem norm that you might find it interesting. How both FE9 and FE10 handled animal transforming classes is also unique to the Tellius games, and while I have never been a fan of the Laguz mechanics they have that novelty you can't find elsewhere in the series. The Bonus Experience mechanics were a great way of adding additional objectives, and incentivize faster play in the maps, although they should have been more transparent with the ways you can get BXP. Narratively FE9 is competent, which might bore you, although the multipart structure of FE10, and shockingly poor handling of recurring characters might be flawed enough to interest you. I hope you give them a try at some point, as they did some interesting things.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

I just think for the sake of discussions it's just better to avoid using the term so you can actually discuss the character. 

While I understand the sentiment, I still think the problem is with other people being purposely obtuse.
People will be like "Achtually, Mary Sue refers to a self insert in fanfiction that is flawless and becomes the center of the story so clearly my favorite character is not a Mary Sue."
No you dumdum, you know that's not what anyone means when they use the word! Stop being dumb!
Personally, I find the term a convenient shorthand and I'd rather fight people over their misunderstanding than give up on a word because people are stupid. "I won't back down!" as Chrom once said. There are many hills to die on, but this one is mine.

9 hours ago, SubwayBossEmmett said:

I actually really like their C and B support, I just think the literal action that Dorothea hates him for is one of the worst they could have thought off. The act of a boy watching a girl bathe has nothing to do with being a commoner or a noble, it's just a boy staring at a girl.

2. Have Ferdinand shout for help near Dorothea where a miscommunication between them arises where he is shouting for someone to help her get taken care of while she believes he is shouting for someone to remove her from his sight. I believe this would have easily emphasized the type of person Ferdinand is in the support without undermining Dorothea's resentment of nobles.

I really like the second idea it came up with because it would heavily contrast the ideas of optimism and cynicism these two have towards nobility in general from the same action.

I believe the word Dorothea uses is "glare", which is a more contemptuous way of staring at someone. I think it's kind of the point that Ferdinand is being unfairly maligned for something that wasn't that serious. As I said before, Dorothea has a lot of baggage. It says in her bio that among her dislikes is herself. The way people treated her in her childhood (and even in her adult life sometimes) cut her deep and she'll see even innocuous things like a boy staring at a girl as more sinister than they even are.

I don't think their CB supports can be regarded as icy or openly hostile. The way she reads her lines makes it seem she doesn't really hate Ferdinand for his behavior. If she really despised (and I'd call that a disproportionate reaction) Ferdinand, she wouldn't give him a nickname or give him a quiz about why she dislikes him. Their interactions could even be called playful. But subconsciously she can't disassociate him from what he reminds her of. The 'boy staring at a girl' incident is less the inciting factor in her feud with Ferdinand, it was everything before and after in her life that gave her a distaste for him. Her long standing grudge is with society rise up singers! not Ferdinand specifically.

I do like you second idea, however. It's an event that could more understandably be misinterpreted as contempt rather than benevolence.  

16 hours ago, Kai the glove eating night said:

>Fire emblem three houses, along with fe7, 8, 11, 13, and birthright are the worst games in the series. Not because they are outright poor in quality, but because they are neither good nor bad. They have nothing to keep you from playing other games that get a reaction out of you. 

Ex: I would rather listen to crappy voice acting than mediocre voice acting. I think there is something to be gained from watching, playing, or listening to something that's outright bad.

>Fe3h has poor stories over all, and even the 'best' story of blue lions is plagued with horrible pace and mediocre execution.

>Fe3h should've allowed you to play three sides of the same linear story. I think it could do alot with that idea.

>Edelgarde's story is unneeded and I'd be okay if they didn't allow you to side with her.

>Edelgarde is a boring character that is like 3 different characters mashed together. Support/cutesy Edelgarde, sympathetic Edelgarde, and conquerer Edelgarde. All sides are equally boring.

>Fe5 is the best fire emblem game.

>I can't find a reason to play 9 and 10. They both look boring and I don't know why I would play it when I can play something else.

>Fe7 has no reason to exist

>Fe8's story is as bland as its gameplay

>Leif isn't one of the worst lords, but in fact, he is really good for his avoid and leadership stars.

>I wish Fe5 could be the next echoes, but I do think fe4 deserves the spot because fe5 is the midquel.

That's all I can think of.

Average FE5 fan: the post

54 minutes ago, De Geso said:

Average FE5 fan: the post

I agree with nearly all of your list, except I love the Tellius series. Edelgard's a boring character and her story is unfinished and unnecessary. However, I would love to see villain campaigns in future FE installments. Even potential remakes.

41 minutes ago, Fire Brand said:

I agree with nearly all of your list, except I love the Tellius series. Edelgard's a boring character and her story is unfinished and unnecessary. However, I would love to see villain campaigns in future FE installments. Even potential remakes.

That list isn't my own.

The love for Dmitri's whole "bad boy" is disgusting the dude killed children and enjoyed it.

Claude's parents should have been Judith and Nader just change Judith's crest to the crest of Reigan. And make Nader the king of Almyra.

Also I love Elibean Nights sad it's cancelled thanks to *cough cough* certain fetubers

1 minute ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Claude's parents should have been Judith and Nader just change Judith's crest to the crest of Reigan. And make Nader the king of Almyra.

It actually took me a long time to figure out this wasn't the case. Judith's very casual way of treating Claude seems to fit the wacky parenting style Claude claims his parents had and Judith is said to have beaten up a top tier Almyran general(implied to be Nadir) just as his mother beat up a top tier general(also implied to be Nadir)

3 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

Also I love Elibean Nights sad it's cancelled thanks to *cough cough* certain fetubers

Oh. Well this sounds interesting. I didn't realize it was canceled or that Fetubers were to blame. 

2 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

The love for Dmitri's whole "bad boy" is disgusting the dude killed children and enjoyed it.

First, he did actually killed children. I don't remember. But i am quite sure he did not enjoy his berserker phase in the slightest.

Second, i feel that having the king of Almyra in the war would tip the balance too far in favor of the Alliance. How is Edelgard supposed to stand againist a whole country that is as powerful as an united Fodlan?

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It actually took me a long time to figure out this wasn't the case. Judith's very casual way of treating Claude seems to fit the wacky parenting style Claude claims his parents had and Judith is said to have beaten up a top tier Almyran general(implied to be Nadir) just as his mother beat up a top tier general(also implied to be Nadir)

Oh. Well this sounds interesting. I didn't realize it was canceled or that Fetubers were to blame. 

Actually turns out I was wrong on the whole fetubers part but it was cancelled thanks to a lot of negativity I'll miss it. EN and Midnight Sun was how I got into Fire Emblem.

Edited by EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen

The Blue Lions seem like the most popular route so I think it would be an unpopular opinion to say that probably have the worst ending and the weakest philosophy.  I'm sure Dimitri would do his best and ease a lot of burdens in his rule since he's a nice guy but overall the situation stays relatively close to the status quo. Dimitri doesn't abolish an oppressive cast system like Edelgard nor does he become an open border liberal like Claude. ''We must defend the present for its all we have'' sounds very...unambitious compared to the more far reaching dreams of Claude and Edelgard. 

But worst of all is that its the only route where the Slitherers aren't destroyed or even discovered. Dimitri can't fix a problem he has no idea exists. Even if Dimitri arranges for a happy ending to those within his own lifespawn there's nothing stopping the Slitherers from just nuking Fhirdiad and getting up to all sorts of devilry in the coming generations. 

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The Blue Lions seem like the most popular route so I think it would be an unpopular opinion to say that probably have the worst ending and the weakest philosophy.  I'm sure Dimitri would do his best and ease a lot of burdens in his rule since he's a nice guy but overall the situation stays relatively close to the status quo. Dimitri doesn't abolish an oppressive cast system like Edelgard nor does he become an open border liberal like Claude. ''We must defend the present for its all we have'' sounds very...unambitious compared to the more far reaching dreams of Claude and Edelgard. 

But worst of all is that its the only route where the Slitherers aren't destroyed or even discovered. Dimitri can't fix a problem he has no idea exists. Even if Dimitri arranges for a happy ending to those within his own lifespawn there's nothing stopping the Slitherers from just nuking Fhirdiad and getting up to all sorts of devilry in the coming generations. 

Thank you someone finally understands!

The thing is Dimitri has no real ideal. His ideal is "i don't want wars." His route is him repelling an invasion and defeating the tyrant that started it. There is no grand objectives because this route is about the people trampled by someone else grand objective.

Also i don't think that the slithers get genocided in any route, so they can aleays come back in the next generation. As long as their leaders are dead that's fine for the time being.

Edited by Flere210

28 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He cleared Duscurs name and improves foreign relations. All the lords improve foreign affairs plus his default friends with Claude. An Edelgard doesn't end a caste system because three houses never had a caste system. There are nobles without crests and crests are even referenced to be dying out. Nobles are forced to be generals too.Where do people see a caste system? Plus Sylvain ending makes people give up on crests anyway. He also gives the poor food and gives them power in goverment. That's not the status quo he actively makes the King weaker well the others endings do not. 

Azure Moon is the only route where all of the Slitherers leaders die in the story and there's no reference to them coming back or a war with them like GD an CF. The nukes are Thales spell like Solon dark portal spell without him there's no evidence they can use the nukes. 

Edited by Julian Solo

1 minute ago, Julian Solo said:

He cleared Duscurs name and improves foreign relations. All the lords improve foreign affairs plus his default friends with Claude. An Edelgard doesn't end a caste system because three houses never had a caste system. There are nobles without crests and there even referenced to be dying out. Nobles are forced to be generals too.Where do people see a caste system? Plus Sylvain ending makes people give up on crests anyway. He also gives the poor food and gives them power in goverment. That's not the status quo he actively makes the King weaker well the others endings do not. 

Azure Moon is the only route where all of the Slitherers leaders die in the story and there's no reference to them coming back or a war with them like GD an CF. The nukes are Thales spell like Solon dark portal spell without him there's no evidence they can use the nukes. 

Which is a huge problem with the Azure Moon route. In Verdant Wind you go straight to the enemy base and destroy everything yet they still show up in the epilogue. In AM TWSITD decided to take it easy for some reason.

Just now, Hekselka said:

Which is a huge problem with the Azure Moon route. In Verdant Wind you go straight to the enemy base and destroy everything yet they still show up in the epilogue. In AM TWSITD decided to take it easy for some reason.

Church and Verdant Wind leave the slithers in control of the Kingdom by Cornelia. Also Dimitri crushes Arundels portion of the imperial army that doesn't do anything in any other route for no reason.

1 minute ago, Julian Solo said:

Church and Verdant Wind leave the slithers in control of the Kingdom by Cornelia. Also Dimitri crushes Arundels portion of the imperial army that doesn't do anything in any other route for no reason.

Yes but in turn everyone in Shambala is still alive. Ready to slumber for hundreds of years to plan another conquest.

6 minutes ago, Julian Solo said:

An Edelgard doesn't end a caste system because three houses never had a caste system. There are nobles without crests and crests are even referenced to be dying out. Nobles are forced to be generals too.Where do people see a caste system? 

There are a couple of things. 

- In the empire just about every position worth having is divided between a select few noble families. The qualification for being the prime minister is being a member of house Aegir, the qualification for being the supreme commander is merely being a member of house Bergliez. Talent isn't really a requirement because according to Edelgard Caspar's brother being an arrogant dullard doesn't matter much when it comes to succession. 
- Nobles apparently can and do beat the snot out of commoners for real or imagined slights. That's what happened to Bernie's commoner friends. Dorothea also has a lot to say about how nobles treated her before she became famous. 
- Even the nicer nobles like Lonato and his good boy commoner son Ashe hold the view that commoners are firmly below the nobility.

Nobles aren't really forced to be generals if we look at Linhardt who apparently gets away with sitting on his butt for years even with a war going on. 

11 minutes ago, Julian Solo said:

Aren't they more technology than magic? In cutscenes we seem that it are actual nukes rather than magic spells. At best Thales is the one who knows the launchcode but if he figured out how to use them there's nothing from the surviving Slitherers figuring it out in a century or so. There's no reference of them coming back but also nothing to suggest they ever went away. Their leaders die but are seen as imperial troops. They have a base Dimitri doesn't know of and are of a faction he does't know exist. They have plenty of time to recover after the war.

13 minutes ago, Julian Solo said:

He also gives the poor food and gives them power in goverment. That's not the status quo he actively makes the King weaker well the others endings do not. 

I did say ''relative'' in regards to the status quo. Dimitri does bring his changes but they aren't as earth shattering as Claude or Edelgard's. 

15 hours ago, Benice said:

Especially Ike and Oliver, am I right?

Haha, you sure are. Who would have guessed that we needed an ending where Oliver makes Ike come out of the closet? Not me. 

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There are a couple of things. 

- In the empire just about every position worth having is divided between a select few noble families. The qualification for being the prime minister is being a member of house Aegir, the qualification for being the supreme commander is merely being a member of house Bergliez. Talent isn't really a requirement because according to Edelgard Caspar's brother being an arrogant dullard doesn't matter much when it comes to succession. 
- Nobles apparently can and do beat the snot out of commoners for real or imagined slights. That's what happened to Bernie's commoner friends. Dorothea also has a lot to say about how nobles treated her before she became famous. 
- Even the nicer nobles like Lonato and his good boy commoner son Ashe hold the view that commoners are firmly below the nobility.

Nobles aren't really forced to be generals if we look at Linhardt who apparently gets away with sitting on his butt for years even with a war going on. 

Aren't they more technology than magic? In cutscenes we seem that it are actual nukes rather than magic spells. At best Thales is the one who knows the launchcode but if he figured out how to use them there's nothing from the surviving Slitherers figuring it out in a century or so. There's no reference of them coming back but also nothing to suggest they ever went away. Their leaders die but are seen as imperial troops. They have a base Dimitri doesn't know of and are of a faction he does't know exist. They have plenty of time to recover after the war.

I did say ''relative'' in regards to the status quo. Dimitri does bring his changes but they aren't as earth shattering as Claude or Edelgard's. 

So the nobles are corrupt I didn't deny that. 

Those robots are completely useless without the backing of the Kingdom or the empire otherwise they would have just won without them. Great writing IS. They have time to recover but they don't in the epilogue and they failed to kill Rhea. The epilogue makes no mention of them coming back like VW. Least for a 1000 years. 

Claudes changes are the same in every route. Whoever wins it doesn't matter to his goals. He just has to befriend them an he does on every route. 

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the missiles the Slither Buddies use aren't nukes, but regular ballistic missiles. If they really were nukes, then the game (or at least VW/SS) would have ended at Fort Merceus, because of nuclear fallout and the shockwave hitting your guys. You can't exactly outrun a nuclear explosion, can you?
Speaking of explosion: the way the things go kablooey doesn't look like nuclear explosions, either. The blast is way too small and not mushroom-shaped, for one.

This does leave the question why the Valley of Torment is still an infernal wasteland if those same missiles did hit that place.
Plothole found? Maybe.

Because if they actually were a Thales-exclusive spell as @Julian Solo inferred, this could be explained as such: Thales went for a weaker, less permanent-consequence version to attack Merceus in order to send a warning signal. Or: Thales learned the spell from an ancestor (I doubt the Slither Buddies are actually immortal), but his version is significantly weaker than that ancestor's due to less control over it or something like that. There is one piece of evidence to support the "spell theory", too: whenever they fall down somewhere, there is a purple "tunnel" that forms which indicates their trajectory and landing place. Such energy tunnels are usually indicator for magic in other games, perhaps they are several spell circles (something Three Houses uses whenever magic is involved) stacked on top of each other, even.

In any case, Rhea (or rather, the Immaculate One) is probably the single strongest living being in the entire Fire Emblem-verse. She had several of the things detonate at point blank range, while weakened, I might add, and she still lived through it. Nukes or no, that's a feat not many others can claim for themselves.

But, as this is merely speculation, take it all with a grain of salt, as usual.

45 minutes ago, Julian Solo said:

Where do people see a caste system? 

? It is made fairly evident in multiple Supports and various Chapters (the earliest example is where you fight Sylvain's older brother, who was disinherited and exiled because he didn't have a Crest and  was utterly unfit to be part of the nobility or his family for that reason and no other reason) that the social hierarchy in Fodlan is organized around crests. Most noble families are descended from the 10 elites and having a crest is seen as the only true claim to nobility and the only proper basis for a right to rule over other human beings  -- every noble who doesn't have a Crest is more of a honorary noble who enjoys the status due to ancestors possessing a Crest or because they paid for it. Crests are (wrongly) seen as gifts from the Goddess and possessing them is seen as divine favor and the Goddess' permission to do as you will, so especially pious people (like the nobility of the Holy Kingdom) see being born without a crest as a sign of divine disfavor, so there is a pressure among the nobility in that region to disinherit and drive away any family member who is born without a Crest (it is noted that Sylvain's older brother being exiled for not having a Crest is nothing special in the Kingdom, it happens constantly). 

Edelgard's key observation about Sylvain's brother is that he was able to inspire a large band of men to follow him in his rebellion despite lacking a Crest. She viewed the fact he had to fight for recognition from his family and the rest of society as a sad and tragic event, and observed that in a different world (ergo, the world she wants to create) his natural leadership abilities could have been used for the benefit of others. 

As far as the role of commoners in this society goes, Bernadetta's first commoner friend was "disappeared" for the crime of being nice to her. Most commoner characters have bad observations to make about the nobility and how they treat their social inferiors. 

While I doubt Edelgard totally succeeded in demolishing the nobility (although her Epilogue says she put an end to their rule) as a group of elite, socially prominent families, she most definitely succeeded in ensuring the key government role and positions of authority were accessible to commoners and that the same standards of justice applied to nobles a well as commoners. 

@MoralityGames those with crest are the worthy heir=caste system? When I think of caste system I think of India which was 10 times worse then just a worthy heir. Also no Edelgard doesn't actually disbanded the nobility. As all the Black Eagles and recruitable nobles still inherit there land an money. Which Ingrid almost lost her status for being poor xD. She just made college free because Ferdinand told her to. Hoping that would cause the strong and smart to rule society not the spoiled rich. The problem that support also shows she that she had no plan despite the game presenting her as having one.

The missiles fall from the sky like Madara with the Rinnegan. It cleary wasn't just technology.

Edited by Julian Solo