What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm assuming you mean "efficient", not "easy", because training someone who has Forseti is trivially easy, they rip the whole enemy army to shreds. But yes, assuming you give all sorts of crazy shit to Seliph, including the leg ring, and have him rush every castle as fast as possible, Arthur isn't going to be contributing much, but then, neither is anyone on foot, and Arthur at least has the ability to get on a horse and has no trouble killing enemies to get there. Sety doesn't exactly beat Arthur in this regard, at any point really. He's never going to be fast enough to keep up with the horses, unless you give him the leg ring, but then if you're willing to do that, why not give it to Arthur?

As for Faval... I just crunched the numbers, and it looks like you might be right, depending on pairing, and assuming you do a lot of aura abuse to get his hit rate up, because at base it's garbage. Holyn!Faval, who has the best base skill, has 112 hit with Ichival, compared to Ishtar's 58 avoid with Mjölnir. That's 54 hit, which is 94 hit assuming both charms and Seliph's leadership. It could be a pretty shaky 80 though if you're using someone like Jamke as his father, with an extremely high chance of death if you miss.

Sety has the power of canon bolstering him though.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seteth and Flayn are the stoic yet human central characters that Edelgard wishes she could be

Dimitri route is the only one that's a competent single narrative

Fort Merceus and the Imperial Capital are awful in all versions

Palla is the most valuable unit in FE 3 and 12 barring Peg Kris

Chameleon was a good gimmick class

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, except I forgot Ishtar's 12 luck when I calculated her evasion, so it's actually the 92-78 range.

I was going by your numbers, but double checking it I think you forgot to account for the +10 speed on Mjolnir as well, which makes it a lot uglier, although unless you accidentally bait Ishtar before recruiting Faval, you should be able to catch her on a road reducing that avoid by a further 10, getting it to th 82-68 range (or 72-58 without road). A better option would probably be to use the Hero sword, if Shanan can manage one strength level up, the rest of his bases are sufficient to hit the 100 kill chance with leadership and charms, and I would find it believable that people have found ways to reached similar thresholds with Ayra's kids.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

51 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I was going by your numbers, but double checking it I think you forgot to account for the +10 speed on Mjolnir as well, which makes it a lot uglier, although unless you accidentally bait Ishtar before recruiting Faval, you should be able to catch her on a road reducing that avoid by a further 10, getting it to th 82-68 range (or 72-58 without road). A better option would probably be to use the Hero sword, if Shanan can manage one strength level up, the rest of his bases are sufficient to hit the 100 kill chance with leadership and charms, and I would find it believable that people have found ways to reached similar thresholds with Ayra's kids.

I added the 10 speed, but then subtracted the 10 weight of Mjolnir. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I added the 10 speed, but then subtracted the 10 weight of Mjolnir. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Naw you are right, I forgot to add weight.

Edit: although my note about the likely -10 avoid from her preference to stick to roads unless baited is something to consider

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

8 hours ago, RewindSync said:

I don't think there is too much discussion about Palla being a key character making FE12 possible to beat.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, Troykv said:

I don't think there is too much discussion about Palla being a key character making FE12 possible to beat.

Peg Kris being better, on the other hand...

A Genealogy of the Holy War remake that broke up the large maps and plays like a more conventional game would be fine with me. Not because I think that would be a superior way to play the game, but because the only thing that I care about is whether the game is good or not. Losing the spirit of the original game is irrelevant in a remake. The original game still exists and can be played (though not officially in English), and breaking it up into smaller chapters would give a different perspective on the same experience (like the endgame of Thracia). A remake that is completely true to the original (which I think is much more likely) is fine for me too. Or even remakes of other games in the large FE4 style maps (this could actually suit Shadow Dragon pretty well thinkingi about it now). Just give me good games.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I'm not a big fan of the introduction of these 'main' songs in recent games. Lost in Thoughts All Alone wasn't great (aside from the Nohr version), independent of the fact that it was overplayed, and the vocals on Edge of Dawn sound too amateurish and not integrated enough into the music for me to enjoy. The only one I do really like is Heritors of Arcadia; the lyrics are gorgeous and the vocals sound professional, the backing music is also amazing and integrates the vocals well instead of them just feeling pasted over top of the music. If we could get more thematically complementary songs like Heritors of Arcadia, I'd be all for it.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:07 AM, RewindSync said:

This is pretty universally agreed upon, except for the thing about Peg Kris.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, Flere210 said:

The gender lock was a good call gameplaywise. Is very notable, for example, that every single relic axe is in the hand of a character that can't get War Master Strike, because that combo would be either better atrocity or better and magic atrocity.

I just don't mind gender lock as much as some people. Making dudes Pegasi or girls (or really, anyone) Brawlers doesn't really appeal that much to me.

Edited by De Geso

Oh boy. I'm expecting flak for this one.

But Mark is no better than any of the actual avatars. In fact, he exhibits many of the same problems, but worse. Replaying FE7, I'm flabbergasted at the lack of criticism Mark gets for the sheer number of times the other characters (especially Lyn and Eliwood) verbally suck him off. "Oh, Mark, you're the greatest!"

At least Robin and Byleth are intrinsic parts of the stories and groups that worship them so. 

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

But Mark is no better than any of the actual avatars. In fact, he exhibits many of the same problems, but worse. Replaying FE7, I'm flabbergasted at the lack of criticism Mark gets for the sheer number of times the other characters (especially Lyn and Eliwood) verbally suck him off. "Oh, Mark, you're the greatest!"

Well its somewhat hard to criticize the plans of someone who never speaks. I didn't like the scenes with Mark but because unlike Corrin and Robin he's not an actual character and he never actually does something so I always found him incredibly easy to ignore. If something is worth doing then Mark's not the one doing it, if something's worth saying then Mark is not the one saying it. 

Mark seems to exist in the bizarre post cutscene world where once everyone said their piece the lord suddenly turns to the camera to praise Mark a tad. I generally just close my eyes and pretend those scenes don't exist.

35 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well its somewhat hard to criticize the plans of someone who never speaks. I didn't like the scenes with Mark but because unlike Corrin and Robin he's not an actual character and he never actually does something so I always found him incredibly easy to ignore. If something is worth doing then Mark's not the one doing it, if something's worth saying then Mark is not the one saying it. 

Mark seems to exist in the bizarre post cutscene world where once everyone said their piece the lord suddenly turns to the camera to praise Mark a tad. I generally just close my eyes and pretend those scenes don't exist.

It's just weird is all. It would be like after watching Lord of the Rings, Aragorn suddenly turns to the audience and says "and none of this would be possible without you, the viewer. You're the real hero here." Super immersion breaking.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Mark is someone you can choose to remove from the plot if you don't play Lyn mode so I don't get the criticism. I also don't get why you think Mark should be criticized. If you play poorly, he does get criticized in the epilogue and by the character in the tactics ranking. 

20 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I didn't like the scenes with Mark but because unlike Corrin and Robin he's not an actual character and he never actually does something so I always found him incredibly easy to ignore. If something is worth doing then Mark's not the one doing it, if something's worth saying then Mark is not the one saying it. 

This basically. Mark is a non-character which makes the few acknowledgements of his existence a non-issue. He might get a very, very, watered-down version of the praise the other avatars get but the scene is never really about Mark, and he doesn't get in the way of the story the game is trying to tell unlike some of the other avatars.

Okay, unpopular Warriors opinions:

Corrin is actually super useful with his/her large hitboxes and staff usage. I have no idea why tier lists consistently put them at the bottom.

Xander is one of the best characters in the game when you get used to his moveset. Especially for Timed Attack and Timed Onslaught.

Navarre/Lyn have THE worst Strong IV in the game, which makes dueling without WTA less than ideal. They are still great because of their Strong VI crowd clear, but taking on strong enemies with them can be hell.

Edited by Etheus

Another opinion I have that isn't popular: Axes aren't as good as the fandom tries to pretend they are. Sure, I'll admit they're the best weapon type in some games, like Shadow Dragon and Blazing Blade for example, but I think people here try to hype them too much in games where they clearly are not that good, like Three Houses for example.

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Another opinion I have that isn't popular: Axes aren't as good as the fandom tries to pretend they are. Sure, I'll admit they're the best weapon type in some games, like Shadow Dragon and Blazing Blade for example, but I think people here try to hype them too much in games where they clearly are not that good, like Three Houses for example.

I don't remember reading praises on axes, but it really depends on the game and on who uses them. In Binding Blade they have next to no accuracy, while in Thracia you pretty much need them to advance effectively. Idk, weapons in 3H don't have too much differences for me.

In three house, any weapon that happens to be used by Wyvern Lords and War Master is the best weapon by default. In general the best weapon is almost always the one that happens to be useful in the hand of the best units, wich usually is lance because paladins and flyers use it. The only exception is a game whit terribly unbalanced weapons like Genealogy, but even there Lex is perfectly able to destroy armies whit his brave axe.

Edited by Flere210

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What games side from three houses do people say Axes are good in? Urvan and Pugi are great, but outside of them I don't think I've ever seen people praise axes. Though, for the sake of diversity and weapon triangle people certainly want them around.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What games side from three houses do people say Axes are good in? Urvan and Pugi are great, but outside of them I don't think I've ever seen people praise axes. Though, for the sake of diversity and weapon triangle people certainly want them around.

Generally any game where they don't have crippling AS issues, I've seen them praised for their superior damage output. Awakening and Fates especially.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

The history of weapon types as I see it (I'm leaving out Manaketes, Laguz/Taguel/Kitsune/Wolfskin, and Ballisticians):

1. Swords win. Lances are always accompanied by Swords so they're more a flex option. Axes are just there and rather bad on four units. Bows are I'm guessing decent? Magic too? IDK not having played.
  2. Axes don't exist on the playable side. Otherwise, it seems to be "use whatever you get", since you don't really have the option of using whoever and whatever weapons you want.
  3. Sword > Lance > Bow > Axe I'd say. Magic is pretty good, maybe second only to Swords.
  4. Sword > Wind > Light > Lance > Thunder > Bow > Fire > Axe (except the Brave).
    • Easily the most hierarchical game in terms of weapon types. Though you could flip Wind & Sword and Thunder & Lance maybe.
  5. Sword > Magic > Axe > Lance > Bow.
    • Swords are still the best. I lump all magic together because you don't get much of a choice due to whats available and what someone has the ranks for (but Wind > Light > Thunder = Fire > Dark). Axes are definitely a good weapon type for once, and outdo Lances due to being usable indoors, but Lances aren't bad. Having Con to mitigate AS loss is a big reason for the improvement in Axes. Iron Axes have only 5 less Hit than Iron Swords too.
    • Bows are the worst because of glacial WEXP gain, low starting ranks on every but Selphina and Xavier, the inability to Capture, being inferior to Magic, and a general lack of enemy fliers.
  6. Sword > Anima > Bow > Lance >= Axe > Dark = Light. 
    • Iron/Steel Swords have a 15/20 Hit advantage over Lances/Axes of the same caliber. That additional accuracy matters, so Swords are the best. But, Lances and or Axes accompanying Swords on a unit (so Hero/Paladin) is a good thing, since you get 1-2 range then, and with WTA, an Axe has the same accuracy as a Sword but with 5 more Mt. The extra 5 Hit on Lances and being tied to better units initially (Cavs, Pegs) does give them the edge over Axes, but otherwise they're equal.
    • Anima is the best Magic by being the most accurate. Dark is tied to two bad units and lategame Niime, and it and Light, tied three staffbots, is less accurate than Anima but not any stronger. If you could in practice get more use out of these than a 10/1 Ellen/Saul or the EXP babies Raigh and Sophia or lategame Niime and Joder, then I would rank Dark and Light higher.
    • Bows, do they deserve to be above or below Lances? I'm not sure, but good accuracy, good units, weak 1-2 Javelins and Hand Axes, and plenty o' Wyverns makes them good for a change.
  7. Lance > Axe > Anima >= Light > Sword = Dark > Bow.
    • Weak enemies and weapon Hit buffs means cheap physical 1-2 range is fashionable baby! Swords don't get that; other than dodgetanking Axes (a good thing), they're technically inferior, but still useful. Weight and accuracy are still small issues with Axes, so the Lance is superior, not that Raven gives a damn about that.
    • Lucius and Erk are about equal barring Lucius's better Staff rank, so in practice the small leads of Anima doesn't matter over Light. Luna is a good bosskiller, but Canas can't Nostank I think, and so Dark, while not bad with Flux and Luna, ends up being situational like Swords.
    • Bows are the only truly bad weapon type in FE7, more so the international version with the effective bonus reduced. Being stuck to 2 range when the game is so easy to 1-2 enemy phase.
  8. Lance > Axe > Anima = Light > Sword > Bow > Dark.
    • Same as FE7 for the same reasons, a fairly egalitarian game for the weapon types, barring 1-2 range being good. Bows and Dark flipped positions because Luna got nerfed and that leaves Dark in a pretty worthless spot, while Bows got their effective bonus restored to 3x.
  9. Axe > Lance > Anima > Sword > Bow > Light >> Knife
    • The Hit and Weight issues of Axes are gone, enemies are still weak and allies durable, the era of power and 1-2 range is in full force. Axes take the top spot because they're the strongest, Lances are a close second.
    • I debate whether Swords or Anima (Thunder > Fire = Wind) is better. Neither is as good as the top two, but they're definitely better than Bows. Sure there are a good deal of fliers to hit, so Bows aren't useless, but 1-2 enemy phase domination and universal 2x effective bonus really hurts them.
    • Light Magic is heavy, light on Mt, and of lower Hit, all tied to a single unit with nonexistent Str, less than ideal Spd, and no Def to speak of for Nostanking.
    • Knives are a total joke, even if Volke tries his best with them.
  10. Axe > Lance > Sword > Knife = Bow > Magic 
    • 1-2 enemy phase love is still here, and Axes are as good as they are in PoR. Swords got a serious buff in RD with Wind Edges, letting them join in the buyable 1-2 physical range game that they'd been forced out of. All three of these have less accurate but more powerful variants too that you totally want to buy outside of Part 1. Axes might be king, but the Lance and Sword are doing very well as well.
    • Daggers don't have a power version, and a Silver Dagger has less Mt than a Steel Sword! But, they have buyable 1-2 range and Heather and Sothe can feasibly dodgetank as Swordmasters without WTA, so they end up being in a distant fourth.
    • Some might question my position equalizing Knife and Bow, and I can see their point, Shinon is a really good unit and so is the Double Bow (final battles only). But 2-3 range, while nice, is no substitute for 1-2 range, which for Bows is finally available in the form of Bowguns. But, Bowguns not using Str makes them technically inferior 1-2 range. Sure at base, Shinon with the Crossbow you get in 3-P has 28 Atk, which is only 3 points less than what he'd have if he could use a Steel Bow at 1-2, is still nominally inferior, and the gap will grow if he doesn't get the better Bowguns later.
    • Magic is at its nadir in RD. Mages are slow and fragile, enemy Res is really high, and their tomes are absurdly weak. The strongest Tome around is Balberith, and it's only as strong as a Steel Poleax. It's a whole 7 Mt behind Urvan and that is as large as the Def-Res gap gets on non-Red Dragon/General/Dracoknight/Tiger enemies, meaning the Archsage isn't actually dealing any more damage than the Urvan user by hitting Res over Def. Effective bonuses that are rarely around to benefit from don't help. Within magic, it's Fire > Wind > Light = Thunder > Dark I'd say (since Dark is 2nd playthrough only), but it hardly matters. Thani is the lone great tome in the entire game.
  11. Lance > Axe > Magic > Bow > Sword
    • What really matters is SD is effective weapons, it doesn't matter its type, as long as you have an effective weapon, ideally forged, you're good. Knights, Cavaliers, and Manaketes make up so many of the enemy units in this game, and thus effectives rule. Enemy phase is largely optional here with low enemy density.
    • Lance is the best b/c Wing Spear I'd say, but Axes and Lances are both good. Axes are better when it comes to WTC, but Lances are more readily available and usable at good ranks on more units and classes.
    • Swords are certainly worse than Lances and Axes due to Wt being a nonissue, the Avoid formula got severely nerfed to render the extra Hit of Swords unneeded, and Axes vanish after like Pyrathi from the enemy arsenal. Operating under near-constant WTD or neutrality because Swords and Lances comprise all the enemy ranks is bad, and WTD strips Swords of 3 damage when effective. Outside of Marth's Rapier, they can't be effective on Cavs either.
    • I'm not sure where to rank Bows and Magic at all actually. Enemy Res is very low, but so is player units' Mag (and their Spd is questionable). Bows like the absence of a great enemy phase, but they can't be effective on anything but fliers.
  12. Swords = Lances = Axes = Bows = Magic?
    • Is FE12 the first game to achieve weapon parity? Enemy phase matters more here than FE11, but Javelins and Hand Axes have the power of peashooters, so they're not broken at all. Enemy composition is fairly diverse, with moves to add in classes that weren't present in the original FE3B2 game to the enemy roster to most maps. Effective bonuses against fliers are really appreciated here at points, good for Bows and Magic. But the game is not endless Cavalier and Knights, making the Horseslayer and the Hammer and their kind not so amazing as they were in FE11.
  13. Magic > Axe = Lance > Sword >> Bow
    • The enemy phase is back with a vengeance! Hurry, Pair Up and use 1-2 range to destroy everything when the Risen come for you! *Sigh* Tomes have the best 1-2 range, and aren't stuck to characters who have no concrete durability- hi Robin, but also Tharja and Morgan. Nostanking is insanely viable to boot, the best it has ever been.
    • Hand Axes and Javelins might still have their nerfed FE12 stats, but so many enemies and the ability to double using them means you still want them. Snowballing with Pair Up means you'll end up slaughtering everything no problem.
    • Swords don't get buyable 1-2 range other than the Levin Sword, which while magical and hence great, leaves one wondering "why not make that person a Sage?". For physical Swordies, they require Ragnell, which is very rare and needs Armsthrift to make practical. No Ragnell? No 1-2 range. Missing on the 2 range makes Swords significantly inferior to the top three.
    • Bows missing out on 1 range is a much bigger deal than Swords with no 1-2. Bows can never get 1-2 range, and this makes them terrible yet again, and it ain't like Virion has god base stats either, or that anyone on promotion gets A Bows automatically either. Shame, because Pegasus Knights being ordinary in the enemy ranks with high Res, makes them equal to Wind Magic against fliers for once.
    • If you're willing to grind for an army of Gale Force optimized units, then a lot of the enemy phase orientation of FE13 can melt away and every weapon type becomes good. But that isn't so practical needing all the time it does.
  14. Magic > Shuriken/Dagger > Axe = Lance = Bow = Sword?
    • I can't figure out things in FE14 very well. I'm not so versed in its top tier/"efficient" play.
    • But, Tomes/Scrolls do have a lot of a good stuff, it's just a balanced set of mages that limits their potency. Odin has Skl, but not as much Spd or Mag as you'd like; Nyx has Mag/Spd, but no Skl; Hayato Spd, but eh Mag and bad Skl; Orochi Mag/Skl, but no Spd. This said, get a good Ophelia or reclass someone or fix a natural caster's problem stat, and in theory you have a really good unit, barring enemies with high Res.
    • Shuriken and Magic are the only weapon types with full-powered 1-2 range available to all. Enemy phasing exists in FE14, but it's been balanced I'd say on the whole, not perfectly, and because it can become entirely better than player phasing with proper setup I think, I place these two weapon types above the rest. Even if at a lower level of play, they're balanced with the rest of your weapons.
    • I fail to see a significant difference amongst Sword/Lance/Axe, and Bows aren't so bad in this game since enemy phase is nerfed and they've access to a measure of 1-2 range. Therefore I consider them equal.
    • Is FE14 the second game with weapon parity? I wonder.
  15. Magic > Bow > Sword > Lance and Axe don't exist. But overall, you'll use whatever you can get, all classes except Priestesses can wield only one type of weapon, and you'll be using nearly every unit you get, you don't have much of a choice of which classes and thus which weapons to bring and prioritize.
  16. Only finished two routes on Hard here, so I'm still in the dark about what is good and bad. Yet, I'd call this game arguably the third with weapon parity from what I've seen.
  • TearRing Saga: Lance > Sword > Magic > Bow > Axe
    • Swords aren't the most accurate weapon type in TRS, that goes to the Lance, which still has medium power and Wt. Indoors maps where Lances become overwhelmingly unusable b/c dismounting are rather few, though still forcing a conversion to Sword use.
    • Mages will use whatever types they can. I'd rank them: Thunder > Wind > Fire > Light > Dark, but this doesn't really matter. Mage stats are a little low, but they can all shine with their * tomes and Janura aka Nosferatu. Of those * tomes, it's Sunflame = Slyphid > Aura Rain > Janura > Dire Brenthunder > Starlight > Wondergust for me. So Sunflame more than compensates for the excessive Weight and low Hit of Fire, while Brenthunder doesn't do enough to stand out.
    • Bows are not bad, Gargoyles and Harpies provide for a lot of enemy fliers with nice Res. Raquel and Holmes are great bow users, Leonie is just as amazing when trained, and Shirou and Lionheart are decent too. In fact, the good stats of some bow users makes them comparable or better to mages with shoddy stats but good tomes against non-high Def foes.
    • Axes are not bad either, they might be heavy in a game without AS loss prevention, but human enemies fortunately have really bad AS in the negatives most of the time. The 94 use Dolharken and 90 use Brave Axe are very good, but I shouldn't elevate for a weapon solely for its rarities, which the Sword has the most of anyhow. 1-2 range isn't that important in this game, but Javelins and Pilums are far superior to Hand Axes and Tomahawks. I might to say that Axes > Bows against slow humans, but Bows are better against monsters who tend to be faster and could deny Axers a chance to double.
Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 11/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • Magic > Shuriken/Dagger > Axe = Lance = Bow = Sword?
    • I can't figure out things in FE14 very well. I'm not so versed in its top tier/"efficient" play.
    • But, Tomes/Scrolls do have a lot of a good stuff, it's just a balanced set of mages that limits their potency. Odin has Skl, but not as much Spd or Mag as you'd like; Nyx has Mag/Spd, but no Skl; Hayato Spd, but eh Mag and bad Skl; Orochi Mag/Skl, but no Spd. This said, get a good Ophelia or reclass someone or fix a natural caster's problem stat, and in theory you have a really good unit, barring enemies with high Res.
    • Shuriken and Magic are the only weapon types with full-powered 1-2 range available to all. Enemy phasing exists in FE14, but it's been balanced I'd say on the whole, not perfectly, and because it can become entirely better than player phasing with proper setup I think, I place these two weapon types above the rest. Even if at a lower level of play, they're balanced with the rest of your weapons.
    • I fail to see a significant difference amongst Sword/Lance/Axe, and Bows aren't so bad in this game since enemy phase is nerfed and they've access to a measure of 1-2 range. Therefore I consider them equal.
    • Is FE14 the second game with weapon parity? I wonder.

Honestly, I felt Fates took cues from Radiant Dawn when it came to mages; ergo, they were neutered to hell. Ophelia is good, sure, but she's only one unit, and one unit ain't nearly enough for me to deem magic to still be at the top of the food chain when most every other mage is bottom of the barrel, enemy resistance is higher than in most other FE games, and they now have to deal with a class that's tailor-made to wreck their shit (ninjas). About the only classes mages were better than physical units against were Generals, Great Knights, and Stoneborn, and even then, they often face WTD against the former, and the latter will always counter you. Other than that, I rarely, if ever, felt that mages had an advantage over my own physical units just because they attacked resistance. Shuriken are weak (the best you can do is use a 7 might weapon unless you like debuffing yourself) and they're only usable by five classes, three of which are in the same class line, and one more of which is DLC. Also, the ninjas you get each have at least one flaw that limits them - Kagero is powerful, but has rather low skill for a ninja, Saizo is powerful and durable compared to the other two, who are frail on the physical side, but tends to be slower, and Kaze is fast, but struggles to do damage against anything that isn't squishy.

Edited by Shadow Mir