What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

On 4/5/2020 at 2:38 PM, Pro895 said:

- Nolan and Leonardo are good units.

I don't think Nolan being a good unit is unpopular; stat-wise, he is a good unit, and having access to both axes and crossbows is fantastic due to the prevalence of enemy fliers and enemy lance wielders. The only problem he has is that he has to compete with Boyd for best warrior, and that the wyvern riders Haar and Jill have more mobility.

Leonardo, however, is definitely unpopular. He's the worst archer in terms of both stats and availability for use in chapters.  

Edited by vanguard333

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Generals should trade some attack for very high resistance. Killing should be akin to killing Dragons in Binding Blade, Besides magic (already dealt with) You'd need to use armor effective weapons. They should also get full weapon triangle plus bows. 

2. Characters should either wear aesthetic clothing designed to show off their features or wear practical looking armor. I hate the halfway approach (you know who I'm talking too)

3. Sacred Stones is the best of the GBA era 

Edited by PyroPlazma

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wait, what makes you say he didn't know? My impression of the scene, given how he flaunted her in front of him, tried to goad her into telling him she hated him for killing his father, and took her back inside the instant she started saying Sigurd looked familiar, was that he knew full well he had stolen Sigurd's wife.

Also, Manfroy talks about her memory loss in front of him and taunts him with what will happen if she remembers.

Honestly I always chalked up him flaunting her in front of Sigurd to be a plot contrivance. In a "LOOK AT MY HOT WIFE BEFORE YOU DIE" kind of way.

But I guess it would also make sense if he knew and taunted Sigurd with it. I don't know why I never put that together.

And I always remembered Manfroy talking very cryptically about Deirdre in front of Arvis, but I could be misremembering or playing on an old translation patch.

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Honestly I always chalked up him flaunting her in front of Sigurd to be a plot contrivance. In a "LOOK AT MY HOT WIFE BEFORE YOU DIE" kind of way.

But I guess it would also make sense if he knew and taunted Sigurd with it. I don't know why I never put that together.

And I always remembered Manfroy talking very cryptically about Deirdre in front of Arvis, but I could be misremembering or playing on an old translation patch.

Well, might not be canon; but according to interviews:

After marrying Diadora, he noticed that Diadora often seemed to be another person, and was afraid that one day she would leave his side like his mother did. Gripped by this thought, he lived his days with great unease (so we can see how much he loved Diadora…) and heard rumours that “Sigurd’s wife had gone missing”, leading him to carefully watch Sigurd. So during Chapter 5, he progressed with his plan (to let Diadora meet Sigurd), which was caused by his inability to let go his endless worry. He obviously shouldn’t have checked, but he was unable to control himself; that was the extent of Alvis’s sorrow. Following that, he investigated Diadora’s past, traveling to the Spirit Forest, and found out that she was Cigyun’s daughter.

He wasn't sure himself until that very moment.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Pretty sure some Kaga notes somewhere ask this very question and he says Alvis suspected and wanted to confirm.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

After marrying Diadora, he noticed that Diadora often seemed to be another person, and was afraid that one day she would leave his side like his mother did. Gripped by this thought, he lived his days with great unease (so we can see how much he loved Diadora…) and heard rumours that “Sigurd’s wife had gone missing”, leading him to carefully watch Sigurd. So during Chapter 5, he progressed with his plan (to let Diadora meet Sigurd), which was caused by his inability to let go his endless worry. He obviously shouldn’t have checked, but he was unable to control himself; that was the extent of Alvis’s sorrow. Following that, he investigated Diadora’s past, traveling to the Spirit Forest, and found out that she was Cigyun’s daughter.

Oh damn. Should have read further. Well ignore all of this.

Edited by Jotari

12 hours ago, anikom15 said:

I didn't really like Three Houses' soundtrack.

It's a below average Fire Emblem soundtrack, though it still has several standout tracks. So it's not all bad.

1 hour ago, Slyfox said:

It's a below average Fire Emblem soundtrack, though it still has several standout tracks. So it's not all bad.

What makes it below average to you? To me, it doesn't really gel with the themes of the game. In that sense it feels kind of generic. There are a few tracks I like, but nothing on the level of Fates and Awakening. The soundtracks of those games really felt like they were part of those worlds. Ironically that one dubstep theme was probably the most fitting piece in the game for its map.

Another one: Ricken-Cordelia should be canon.

4 hours ago, anikom15 said:

Ironically that one dubstep theme was probably the most fitting piece in the game for its map.

Fitting, yes.
But it's still my personal least favorite theme on the entire soundtrack, because I hate dubstep.
Though in that sense, it fits even more, because the part of the story associated with that theme is, at least to me, the worst part of the game as well.

Another music opinion: With the exception of A Dark Fall (especially the "Fire" version of the theme is amazing), I dislike Conquest's map themes.

23 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, so I was kinda on the right track.

Arvis knowing for certain before that moment changes a lot in my mind.

17 hours ago, anikom15 said:

What makes it below average to you? To me, it doesn't really gel with the themes of the game. In that sense it feels kind of generic. There are a few tracks I like, but nothing on the level of Fates and Awakening. The soundtracks of those games really felt like they were part of those worlds. Ironically that one dubstep theme was probably the most fitting piece in the game for its map.

Difficult to say, really. Maybe it's that uninspired, half finished feeling? Like, they kept changing the story or there wasn't enough to go around to give them a clear theme to build? To falsely quote Shulk, "they weren't really feeling it!". I think it's tied into the fact while Three Houses has some of the most expansive lore and story in any Fire Emblem game, it's spread over too thinly across four routes. So the themes and ideas they pushed for feel a little half-baked, which in turn impacted the picture the composers had for the music.

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Another music opinion: With the exception of A Dark Fall (especially the "Fire" version of the theme is amazing), I dislike Conquest's map themes.

Hoshidan scum

Jokes aside, I think Conquest has the strongest soundtrack of all of Fates, and A Dark Fall is among my least favorite map themes in Conquest's selection of tracks, though it's still really good.

Honestly I think the Three Houses soundtrack is pretty mediocre too. Mostly because the map themes, which are usually my favorite, are... really badly done. They had this weird idea to make the map themes go full blast (which I can't even appreciate because the sound mixing is so bad that they still feel muted and far away while playing), and then the "thunder" battle tracks just... have nowhere to go. Hell, most of them don't even have melodies anymore when they go to thunder, they're just a bunch of instruments playing out a bunch of chords and baselines... really, really hard.

The less that can be said about this "thunder" abomination, the better:

God Shattering Star is the best song in the damned game, and they still found a way to ruin it.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly I think the Three Houses soundtrack is pretty mediocre too. Mostly because the map themes, which are usually my favorite, are... really badly done. They had this weird idea to make the map themes go full blast (which I can't even appreciate because the sound mixing is so bad that they still feel muted and far away while playing), and then the "thunder" battle tracks just... have nowhere to go. Hell, most of them don't even have melodies anymore when they go to thunder, they're just a bunch of instruments playing out a bunch of chords and baselines... really, really hard.

God Shattering Star is the best song in the damned game, and they still found a way to ruin it.

Yeah, I rarely listen to the thunder versions. Funeral of Flowers being pretty much the only exception.

A shame, because Awakening and Fates had most, if not all, of their map themes enjoyable in both versions.

Also, I agree that the mixing is terrible. Funeral of Flowers, Roar of Dominion and God Shattering Star (still haven't heard Apex, slowly working on AM, then CF), while being fantastic songs, have their own instruments drowning each other out. There is too much "noise" going on, so much that it basically becomes white noise in a certain sense.

Edited by Slyfox

Just now, Slyfox said:

Also, I agree that the mixing is terrible. Funeral of Flowers, Roar of Dominion and God Shattering Star (still haven't heard Apex, slowly working on AM, then CF), while being fantastic songs, have their own instruments drowning each other out. There is too much "noise" going on, so much that it basically becomes white noise in a certain sense.

Oh, maybe I was using the wrong term. I meant that in contrast to the music in other games, you can barely hear the map themes in-game. It feels like it's... far away, and I wound up having to reduce the volume on everything else and crank the volume on my TV up, and that didn't help much either. Golden Deer's finale was kind of a disappointment when I realized God Shattering Star sounded like it was being played the next field over.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh, maybe I was using the wrong term. I meant that in contrast to the music in other games, you can barely hear the map themes in-game. It feels like it's... far away, and I wound up having to reduce the volume on everything else and crank the volume on my TV up, and that didn't help much either. Golden Deer's finale was kind of a disappointment when I realized God Shattering Star sounded like it was being played the next field over.

What you said made perfect sense and my reply did not. I noticed it could have caused confusion before posting, but I didn't feel like rewriting my reply, so post it I did!

That said, to answer your previous statement and this one directly... You are absolutely right. And I like my melodies at the forefront, Three Houses struggles with this.

Edited by Slyfox

On 4/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, Slyfox said:

Woah now. I mean music is subjective but if you want Fire Emblem soundtrack that's below average, Fates has that in store. Three Houses has amazing quality music on par with Awakening.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Woah now. I mean music is subjective but if you want Fire Emblem soundtrack that's below average, Fates has that in store. Three Houses has amazing quality music on par with Awakening.

And its best songs are dragged down by poor music direction. Apex of the World, God-Shattering Star and Indomitable Will are incredible pieces, but the Thunder variants are an unwelcome intrusion. The 3DS games had good reason to shelve parallel soundtracks for their finales.

Been playing through Blazing Sword as one of the dozen games I'm juggling at the moment, and I'm honestly kinda surprised at how many weird things there are in the game that aren't discussed that much. The convoy is a separate unit that can level up and can be obtained in a sidequest, the funds ranking sounds fine on paper but has some really out-of-the-box exploits, there's an enemy that can outright prevent the use of magic, a sidequest is unlocked by leveling up the bard to level 7 during Lyn's mode, weather effects that serve no purpose than to slow you down, and probably more I haven't encountered yet. This isn't to say that these things are bad, just strange, and I'm surprised how little it's brought up considering Blazing Sword is often called one of the more "standard" games in the series.

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

Been playing through Blazing Sword as one of the dozen games I'm juggling at the moment, and I'm honestly kinda surprised at how many weird things there are in the game that aren't discussed that much. The convoy is a separate unit that can level up and can be obtained in a sidequest, the funds ranking sounds fine on paper but has some really out-of-the-box exploits, there's an enemy that can outright prevent the use of magic, a sidequest is unlocked by leveling up the bard to level 7 during Lyn's mode, weather effects that serve no purpose than to slow you down, and probably more I haven't encountered yet. This isn't to say that these things are bad, just strange, and I'm surprised how little it's brought up considering Blazing Sword is often called one of the more "standard" games in the series.

It's because it was the first game to be released in the West. It creates a bias toward seeing everything in that game as 'standard' and anything added/removed is a deviation.

Not sure if this isunpopular, but Jerme' map is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Kenneth' map. Jerme's is bad, but Kenneth's has about three enemies and then a few siegebots. After they run out of bolting uses, you can walk up to Kenneth, (which takes about 30 turns even without enemies) and end the map.

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

They're relatively minor oddities, Merlinus is easy to keep alive and if he dies no big loss- the Castle Caelin chapter automatically gives him to you later too if you missed 13x. Most probably skip 19xx, ranking is entirely ignorable if you don't want to play by it, weather isn't exactly commonplace, Kishuna is at most on 3 maps. 

By contrast to the Jugdral duology or Conquest's frequent map gimmicks, I'd say Blazing Sword's quirks are fairly mild and ignorable. May I not be too biased in saying so.

34 minutes ago, Benice said:

Not sure if this isunpopular, but Jerme' map is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Kenneth' map. Jerme's is bad, but Kenneth's has about three enemies and then a few siegebots. After they run out of bolting uses, you can walk up to Kenneth, (which takes about 30 turns even without enemies) and end the map.

Actually, you can do it in 5 turns on Hector Hard.:

All hail the Rescue chain!

You're right I'd say in the map being a bit empty, but being a Seize makes it optimally much faster than the Jerme version, which is a Rout over a sprawling map. The Rankings agree with this- you have get seven more turns for 5* Tactics in Jerme's than Kenneth's, indicating it's expected to be slower. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

49 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, you can do it in 5 turns on Hector Hard.:

Curses, I've been called out on my bad playing!

Just wondering, is the snow RNG controlled? In my runs, it lasted for for longer than  in tht video IIRC; it hadn't stopped unit well after Karel showed up.

Edited by Benice

On 4/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, Alastor15243 said:

At least I can still recognize the theme in his Thunder version (I guess is because of the fact the voice isn't overlaying above everything else), I don't exactly like Thunder themes in Three Houses (outside of FoF's one); this is far from the worst, in fact, of the ones I have heard it's probably the best non-FoF one xDU

Some thunder themes go completely nuts, and become pretty much completely incomprehensible xD

Edited by Troykv