What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

A key is a long rigid object you need to insert into an enclosed space. Inarguably male imo.

How indecent.

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Your conflating key and key holder

When discussing the key to your heart, though, the person who holds the key is the key.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

So would that mean you pick a side? That way, you can get the complete picture of what is happening on one side. 

Well, not quite. I was thinking it more on being more traditionally linear. Like, staying with Micaiah all the way or just make the game start with Ike and the Alliance. Story may or may not be changed as needed to make it possible. I feel that in forcing team changes it was very detrimental to most of the newcomers. Specially for those in the Part 1 cast.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, not quite. I was thinking it more on being more traditionally linear. Like, staying with Micaiah all the way or just make the game start with Ike and the Alliance. Story may or may not be changed as needed to make it possible. I feel that in forcing team changes it was very detrimental to most of the newcomers. Specially for those in the Part 1 cast.

What about making parts 1 and 2 a separate game then? This way, you can stick with one side in part 3 instead of missing large parts of the story if you start with the GM. I think Thracia 776 is a great game due to focusing heavily on one country and the politics. Furthermore, some of the battles got off paneled in part one such as Talrega. 

8 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

What about making parts 1 and 2 a separate game then? This way, you can stick with one side in part 3 instead of missing large parts of the story if you start with the GM. I think Thracia 776 is a great game due to focusing heavily on one country and the politics. Furthermore, some of the battles got off paneled in part one such as Talrega. 

It's possible. Though personally if I had to choose, since they bothered to make Micaiah and company in the first place, then make the entire game about them. Which is a good point. Part 1 had events that could've been chapters simply happening off screen.

Part 2 could still be in, as a Paralogue type thing. Not unlike what Sacred Stones does with 5x... or RD itself with 3-9.

Now, of course, the story of Part 3 would have to be very different to allow to still have the DB as the protagonists... or perhaps... not? Like, personally, I think it would be a cool concept of playing for the loosing side all the way through. Where it's more "the objective is to survive". Or maybe it culminates in a final chapter where you reenact Yukimura at Osaka. Although I could see people not warming up to the idea. After all, it could leave bad taste the idea where winning the chapters amounts to nothing, since you're still loosing. Like how 3-13 it matters little if you rout or even beat Ike. The place you're defending gets overrun and your party is forced to retreat. For one chapter it may be fine, but a good bulk of the game long? Likely not for many.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I enjoyed FE7s overall plot for what it is.

Sure..FE7 barely has anything that has to do with war but that's what I like about it as it focused on something that I don't think many FE games have yet and that is engaging time with the characters. Characters in this game have more spotlight which means additional development for them. Its clearly more about friendship and compassion than everything else and for that I liked it a lot. It also helps to make Elibe more lively such as being able to set sail with pirates since no one else could do it. And there's also the fact that some characters from FE6 have their past selves here which fully flesh out their characters.

I mean I don't have anything against traditional FE plots where its just a crisis, face war and then beat the villain that started it who at the end could be a dragon. Its to me a fresh take on the series for starting a rather simple story that sure, may not fit into the esque of SRPG type of gameplay but still, its immersive for what it is.

2 hours ago, starburst said:

It would be confusing for those of us who do not know the “customs.” If a realm has historically followed a male primogeniture rule, then it is “known” that the female members of the royal house are never the rulers (and the female forms of the titles are only symbolic.)
Even in those exceptions when a woman in a male-preference realm indeed rules, the titles themselves might give us the answer; as it is the case of our beloved Queen Elizabeth and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh.

So, yeah, they should have used “Empress” in the game. There is no reason for us to doubt that Edelgard was indeed the one ruler of the empire.

I can think of one reason, more solid Alvis parallels (that's also the reason Emperor should have been able to use magic dagnabit).

2 hours ago, starburst said:

If you ask me, I have never understood why English speakers, in a language with no grammatical gender, refer to ships as if they were feminine. They even have motherships and sister ships. That is weird.

I will stop here, but it is interesting.

That's probably because English originally was a gendered language, but managed to ditch it at some point. A girl being described as a blonde if they have blond hair is another modern example that lingers, and one I didn't even realize was a thing until I looked into all this. Coming to think of the ship thing might not even be an example as it could just be separately evolved sailor dialect. It's not like saying "It's a ship" sounds really weird in English. Ships are only really gendered when they have a name and along with it a certain level of personification like, say, a statue, only exclusively female for traditional reasons.

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

I enjoyed FE7s overall plot for what it is.

Sure..FE7 barely has anything that has to do with war but that's what I like about it as it focused on something that I don't think many FE games have yet and that is engaging time with the characters. Characters in this game have more spotlight which means additional development for them. Its clearly more about friendship and compassion than everything else and for that I liked it a lot. It also helps to make Elibe more lively such as being able to set sail with pirates since no one else could do it. And there's also the fact that some characters from FE6 have their past selves here which fully flesh out their characters.

I mean I don't have anything against traditional FE plots where its just a crisis, face war and then beat the villain that started it who at the end could be a dragon. Its to me a fresh take on the series for starting a rather simple story that sure, may not fit into the esque of SRPG type of gameplay but still, its immersive for what it is.

That whole "not a traditional war" thing is why I love Lyn Mode. They made a Fire Emblem story about an orphan on a road trip with a ragtag bunch of misfits to meet her last living family member. I want more stories like that, lower stakes, but more human and personal ones.

Honestly I wish someone would make a mod to make Lyn Mode an actually engaging Fire Emblem game rather than an (admittedly excellent) tutorial I've sadly outgrown.

Edited by Alastor15243

38 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That whole "not a traditional war" thing is why I love Lyn Mode. They made a Fire Emblem story about an orphan on a road trip with a ragtag bunch of misfits to meet her last living family member. I want more stories like that, lower stakes, but more human and personal ones.

Honestly I wish someone would make a mod to make Lyn Mode an actually engaging Fire Emblem game rather than an (admittedly excellent) tutorial I've sadly outgrown.

Yeah. Its sad that Lyn is the only lord here that gets this treatment. And it also sucks that the community in general despises using Lyn because of her utility being below average and that sucks because Lyn is my favorite lord in the entire series next to Chrom.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can think of one reason, more solid Alvis parallels (that's also the reason Emperor should have been able to use magic dagnabit).

That's probably because English originally was a gendered language, but managed to ditch it at some point. A girl being described as a blonde if they have blond hair is another modern example that lingers, and one I didn't even realize was a thing until I looked into all this. Coming to think of the ship thing might not even be an example as it could just be separately evolved sailor dialect. It's not like saying "It's a ship" sounds really weird in English. Ships are only really gendered when they have a name and along with it a certain level of personification like, say, a statue, only exclusively female for traditional reasons.

English was never a gendered language like French. Gendered words like 'waitress', 'bachelor', and 'blonde' all have different etymological reasons for their existence and are not due to the linguistic structure of any form of English. Ships are female because of maritime tradition, and were considered female long before any English speakers even had access to ships. It has nothing to do with the language.

Edited by anikom15

30 minutes ago, anikom15 said:

English was never a gendered language like French. Gendered words like 'waitress', 'bachelor', and 'blonde' all have different etymological reasons for their existence and are not due to the linguistic structure of any form of English. Ships are female because of maritime tradition, and were considered female long before any English speakers even had access to ships. It has nothing to do with the language.

Can't say I was around to personally speak it, but I'm told Old English was gendered. Even having the modern neuter gender like German (which makes sense as they both derive from Old German). Though looking at blonde I'd hazard a guess it wasn't an Old English word and was probably incorporated from French at some point. Still, Old English was gendered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_in_English

Well I was referring to Modern English, but the 'genderedness' (if you can even call it that, it's hardly reflective of an object's gender in any relation) of Old English is completely nonexistent in Modern English, and words that specify gender in English have different etymological reasons for that.

Many languages refer to ships as female. Nobody actually knows the origin of it.

1 hour ago, anikom15 said:

Well I was referring to Modern English, but the 'genderedness' (if you can even call it that, it's hardly reflective of an object's gender in any relation) of Old English is completely nonexistent in Modern English, and words that specify gender in English have different etymological reasons for that.

Many languages refer to ships as female. Nobody actually knows the origin of it.

Well yes, modern English obviously doesn't have gendered nouns. I wasn't trying to suggest that  everyone was speaking exactly as we do now only with gendered nouns and then suddenly it stopped without any other aspect of the language changing. By used to be gendered I meant a previous incarnation of the language that slowly evolved into modern English.

PEMV TIME!

On personal experience Marcia is trash. Every time I tried to use her, she'd just always get bad levels. I don't think I've benched pegasi so fast. Fucking Subaki got more time to try and it only convinced me he's bad. Maybe next time Marcia won't suck but that's not going to be any time soon. Then again I'm the same guy who got a Jill so speedscrewed that if it were Maniac she would likely have been trash too but who's counting?

I'm starting to want to see a future title drop classes. Not stuff like mounts, skills and so on. I mean, drop classes as a mechanism linked to them. They can be fine as a definition, but I think it could be possible for the player units to be more freely built and not have to use them as the first step in building them. This could allow you to take them in a very open ended direction as a result. I'm not saying it'd be perfect, or even good. But I think there might be something to it.

Reunion at Dawn might possibly be my least favourite map now, but it's because of two things. The first is that first two turns are actually mental (I can't wait to see if I suffer in Maddening! /s). The second and bigger one is the utter wasteland of potential that this map has. So the only units who show up are your lord/Seteth and the initial students you had. That is dumb because it means that you're going to be stuck with units you might not have been using and it also doesn't even bother to take advantage of recruitments you've had as they never show up despite all they could add to this map (On that topic more broadly, that's another kettle of fish for this game). It also makes it potentially impossible to ironman, so that's a wash on principle. The fact you're thrown right into it with no prep also blows because it contradicts everything this game does up to that point in terms of being free to mess around with your army and figure out what works with what you've got more freely. Hell, if they were willing to take a leaf from the Kaga playbook just don't give an option to move them about as you don't have them to start with. I'm definitely thinking on discussing a whole other take on the game and this is probably one of the few parts that can just bugger off and die.

Edited by Dayni

Radiant Dawn part 4 should have only two factions instead of three. The first half of part 4, except for 4-3 and 4-5, feel like filler because it separates too many characters from each other. For example, Micaiah can't fight and react to Izuka while Pelleas and Tauroneo can't fight Numida. Part 4 is carried by the conversations between the main party members in each faction but since there are three different factions, we can't see certain characters interact with each other. For example, it sucks that Micaiah doesn't interact with Elincia and we don't see Tibarn and Naesala's tension get resolved. 

Whether each faction should have 2 chapters or 3 chapters is debatable. I'd still stick to 3 chapters to add more character moments which will be possible when you expand the roster of each party. 

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Radiant Dawn part 4 should have only two factions instead of three. The first half of part 4, except for 4-3 and 4-5, feel like filler because it separates too many characters from each other. For example, Micaiah can't fight and react to Izuka while Pelleas and Tauroneo can't fight Numida. Part 4 is carried by the conversations between the main party members in each faction but since there are three different factions, we can't see certain characters interact with each other. For example, it sucks that Micaiah doesn't interact with Elincia and we don't see Tibarn and Naesala's tension get resolved. 

Whether each faction should have 2 chapters or 3 chapters is debatable. I'd still stick to 3 chapters to add more character moments which will be possible when you expand the roster of each party. 

I think there definitely should have been a seventh chapter before the end game where the factions come together and take the capital city. The fact that it was done off screen feels a bit sour.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think there definitely should have been a seventh chapter before the end game where the factions come together and take the capital city. The fact that it was done off screen feels a bit sour.

I agree. Seeing Caineghis finally join you in the assault on the capital would be sick. Also, we never actually ever get to fight in Sienne which is disappointing. 

On 5/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, Dayni said:

PEMV TIME!

I'm starting to want to see a future title drop classes. Not stuff like mounts, skills and so on. I mean, drop classes as a mechanism linked to them. They can be fine as a definition, but I think it could be possible for the player units to be more freely built and not have to use them as the first step in building them. This could allow you to take them in a very open ended direction as a result. I'm not saying it'd be perfect, or even good. But I think there might be something to it.

If they're going to keep personalized caps and free-range weapon ranks then classes proper may as well be an enemy thing.

I personally think fates handled it’s route split from a narrative stand point far better than 3H. I also just generally prefer Fates’s story to 3H’s story as well. I honest to god think they’re equal in terms of quality though

On 4/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I honestly kinda love it for how it's just essentially a relatively minor sequence of battles compared to regular fantasy plot-lines with a few hints there and then about the big picture.

Some of the other FE games kinda give you whiplash with how suddenly the stakes are raised and it's a big world ending event so I like how we deal with a rather (compared to the main plot of other FE games.) relatively mundane and minor sequence of battles.

17 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I honestly kinda love it for how it's just essentially a relatively minor sequence of battles compared to regular fantasy plot-lines with a few hints there and then about the big picture.

Some of the other FE games kinda give you whiplash with how suddenly the stakes are raised and it's a big world ending event so I like how we deal with a rather (compared to the main plot of other FE games.) relatively mundane and minor sequence of battles.

Also, as I pointed out in my marathon thread, this game feels like the first in the series up to that point that you could make an episodic animated series out of where every chapter could be the premise for a satisfying 20-minute episode.

People nowadays have so much grief to give FR7's story, as do I past Lyn Mode, but even then, this game was a major leap for the series in the art of storytelling. It was an impressive leap to see firsthand after binging all of the older ones over about half a year.

Edited by Alastor15243

23 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, as I pointed out in my marathon thread, this game feels like the first in the series up to that point that you could make an episodic animated series out of where every chapter could be the premise for a satisfying 20-minute episode.

People nowadays have so much grief to give FR7's story, as do I past Lyn Mode, but even then, this game was a major leap for the series in the art of storytelling. It was an impressive leap to see firsthand after binging all of the older ones over about half a year.

Honestly I'd take "The villians are a little stupid." (Such as how it's kinda clear even if Lundgren does kill Lyn that there's probably gonna be an uprising soon anyway since almost no one actually likes him or how Nergal/Ursula in Lyn mode underestimated our protagonists.)  over some of the stuff in other games:

It really bothers me when characters are suddenly fine in cutscenes after their health pool is gone. (Such as the Bandit boss in Three Houses's prologue who is not only not dead but can sprint at Edelgard and then to rub salt in the wound it turns out he's still alive after Byleth beats him down later on.), I can somewhat buy Erik and Fernard but a good few other instances in other games bother me. (Fernard since he's on a horse so it's possible he was targeted directly and the horse itself can still run off and Erik because well, he can barely even stand so while he's alive, he's also not exactly sprinting at Mach 3 to stab anyone anytime soon.)

Same with other gameplay-story inconsistencies, in that very same cutscene, Edelgard's axe (And if you're like me and had her defeat the boss two axes) just vanish and now she only has a small dagger that didn't exist in her inventory 5 seconds ago so Byleth can do his impression of a shield.

I can buy stupidity to a point but it will always take me out of a story when someone's weapons just convinently vanish or they survive should-be-fatal injuries because plot.

Edited by Samz707

7 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I personally think fates handled it’s route split from a narrative stand point far better than 3H.

I actually agree with this. When the route split decision came for Fates, I actually had a far better idea of what I was choosing there than I did in Three Houses, where I didn't even know what Edelgard's motives were before choosing whether or not to join her. I don't consider 3H's story nearly as dumb as Fates' story, but the route split itself? No contest. 3H left me completely confused about what I was even fighting for for several chapters into part 2.

Edited by Alastor15243