What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Just now, Jotari said:

Who argues that?

(and Seliph is really no more the main lord than Sigurd is. They both get 6 chapters each and both appear on the box art).

Doesn't Kaga say that Seliph is the true protagonist of FE4? They might both get 6 chapters but Sigurd's first chapter is quite small. More importantly, it is Seliph that brings peace to Jugdral, not Sigurd. 

People argue about how Lyn sucks, an exaggeration, because she's irrelevant. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Doesn't Kaga say that Seliph is the true protagonist of FE4? They might both get 6 chapters but Sigurd's first chapter is quite small. More importantly, it is Seliph that brings peace to Jugdral, not Sigurd. 

Well yeah because Seliph has the follow up arc, but that doesn't make Sigurd any less of a main lord.

17 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

People argue about how Lyn sucks, an exaggeration, because she's irrelevant. 

That's less a criticism of Lyn's character and more a critisism of the game's story and how it utilizes her. As a part of the story and as a unit people do tent to critisize Lyn, but I can't recall many people bashing her actual personality.

Edited by Jotari

On 5/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, Ottservia said:

I personally think fates handled it’s route split from a narrative stand point far better than 3H. I also just generally prefer Fates’s story to 3H’s story as well. I honest to god think they’re equal in terms of quality though

On 5/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I actually agree with this. When the route split decision came for Fates, I actually had a far better idea of what I was choosing there than I did in Three Houses, where I didn't even know what Edelgard's motives were before choosing whether or not to join her.

I agree with both of you, guys. In my case, had I known that Edelgard would be the “mad queen”, I would have chosen her house. 🙃
(I do not really know what happens, I just infer what her decisions are based on other people’s comments. Do not spoil it to me.)

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

The only characters you take from the prologue into Conquest are Corrin, Azura and Felica/Jacob [...]

What!? You forgot Kaze, my personal friend. 😱
He always ends Chapter 5 at level 7-8. Even if you will not use him, that is the only fun to make out of that boring map (just like defeating Ryoma with Cornflakes is in Ch 6.)

12 minutes ago, starburst said:

I agree with both of you, guys. In my case, had I known that Edelgard would be the “mad queen”, I would have chosen her house. 🙃
(I do not really know what happens, I just infer what her decisions are based on other people’s comments. Do not spoil it to me.)

What!? You forgot Kaze, my personal friend. 😱
He always ends Chapter 5 at level 7-8. Even if you will not use him, that is the only fun to make out of that boring map (just like defeating Ryoma with Cornflakes is in Ch 6.)

Ah, forgive me, Kaze Senpai. I must have forgotten to count him on account of him being filthy Hoshidan scum.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Sigurd's first chapter is quite small.

That moment when a map that takes many hours to play is considered small.

I guess an unpopular opinion is that Micaiah>Elincia>>>Ike, at least in RD. Micaiah and Elincia were at least fairly compelling most of the time, but Ike was just kinda there for the lulz. If they do make a RD remake, I don't mind Ike getting a full part, but I'd like for him both to have an arc/be relevant to the story other than as a random merc.

Hmm, what else...

• Binding blade has some very good supports
  • Saul is my favorite healer in the franchise
  • Aran would be somewhat better than Nephenee if not for Halberdier/Sentinel having low caps in strength and defense
  • Swordmasters should have kept 30% crit bonus in the other GBA games and Berserkers should have been nerfed down to 15%. (To compensate for reliable 1-2 range and having the better weapon type)
  • Fir is worth using
  • In no way is Genealogy of the Holy war as good as Berwick Saga.

On 5/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, vanguard333 said:

I think that the monster mechanics in Three Houses should be used for playable shapeshifter units in the next game. 

This actually made me think on how I'd like to see them done. I'd like to seem them deal with it like mounts in three houses; but rather than mount/dismount it'd be transform between forms. I kinda went over board and drew how I envisioned it, using Corrin as an example. When as a human, Corrin would use his sword to attack, along with special moves akin to the weapon arts in three houses, each special move depleting his sword's hp.1743966397_FEforumstuff1.thumb.jpg.2d09378799f6d6a361d999254d152d5c.jpg

873530162_FEforumstuff3.thumb.jpg.8fc461c0c3eb5b1c8df2f424cac4d17f.jpg

When transformed, Corrin could use breath attacks for aoe attacks and his horns/claws for regular attacks. This would be very useful against hordes of enemies, though you'd want to be careful, as being much bigger could lead to some rather nasty situations! 😮94778434_FEforumstuff4.thumb.jpg.bb7d86e35a31cde53a7787a30026e9c2.jpgBeing this size would also bring trouble with small spaces. Small corridors won't let you through if you're as big as a truck. You'd have to change back to human form. This could lead to having interesting tactics, having to change between forms to deal with certain enemies and terrain.265265141_FEforumstuff5.thumb.jpg.c36daa8cffa63c08fc56410c049934a2.jpg987146784_FEforumstuff7.thumb.jpg.706b1fc4e864aec20c038dcb99e11dcb.jpg

Just now, A random Villager said:

This actually made me think on how I'd like to see them done. I'd like to seem them deal with it like mounts in three houses; but rather than mount/dismount it'd be transform between forms. I kinda went over board and drew how I envisioned it, using Corrin as an example. When as a human, Corrin would use his sword to attack, along with special moves akin to the weapon arts in three houses, each special move depleting his sword's hp.1743966397_FEforumstuff1.thumb.jpg.2d09378799f6d6a361d999254d152d5c.jpg

When transformed, Corrin could use breath attacks for aoe attacks and his horns/claws for regular attacks. This would be very useful against hordes of enemies, though you'd want to be careful, as being much bigger could lead to some rather nasty situations! 😮94778434_FEforumstuff4.thumb.jpg.bb7d86e35a31cde53a7787a30026e9c2.jpgBeing this size would also bring trouble with small spaces. Small corridors won't let you through if you're as big as a truck. You'd have to change back to human form. This could lead to having interesting tactics, having to change between forms to deal with certain enemies and terrain.265265141_FEforumstuff5.thumb.jpg.c36daa8cffa63c08fc56410c049934a2.jpg987146784_FEforumstuff7.thumb.jpg.706b1fc4e864aec20c038dcb99e11dcb.jpg

This is a heroes thread you know? It wouldn't have that kind of interface at all. At best it'd need to work like a duo attack. In addition Heroes maps are way too small to incorporate units of multiple sizes like that. Even the rokkr maps which do have a canonical giant version of a character as a boss keep them to one tile.

1 hour ago, A random Villager said:

Isn't this the Unpopular opinion thread?  I'm sorry. I was simply excited replying to someones comment here. Wrong thread I guess...

Sorry.

Whoops. You're right.  I was the one in the wrong thread. Though based on what you're saying, it's not massively different from what we got with laguz in Tellius (or to go further back Manakete in Mystery of the Emblem), the only new thing there is the unit size. The pictures are nice though.

I don't think monster mechanics would work well for player units beyond the size gimmick, and even that is sketchy. Multiple health bars and the damage neutering barrier mechanics are not something intended for the player to pit against an enemy. Couple that with the player's wide tools to outstat the enemy and you have something that's close to unkillable barring a mass of beefed up enemies. The size thing could be a way to make transformations feel unique but would require an awful lot of maps with one-tile choke points, which aren't too common in outrdoor maps and can be problematic for map design.

11 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

I don't think monster mechanics would work well for player units beyond the size gimmick, and even that is sketchy. Multiple health bars and the damage neutering barrier mechanics are not something intended for the player to pit against an enemy. Couple that with the player's wide tools to outstat the enemy and you have something that's close to unkillable barring a mass of beefed up enemies. The size thing could be a way to make transformations feel unique but would require an awful lot of maps with one-tile choke points, which aren't too common in outrdoor maps and can be problematic for map design.

It'd work well for a one chapter thing for some kind of plot relevant scenario. Ie having a map designed specifically around it.

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It'd work well for a one chapter thing for some kind of plot relevant scenario. Ie having a map designed specifically around it.

I can see that happening, though after thinking about it more may be a bit too strong for all maps. Maybe the shapeshifting units would be better off as a one tile unit, like you said. It would be cool to use a giant one though, at least for one map. Maybe something like having to defend the unit from being destroyed of the like.

Also, it seems I really need to play the older FE games. I didn't know transforming actually worked like that before lol. Here's hoping it returns to being like that. 😄 P>S Thanks for liking the pics. They took a while.

Edited by A random Villager

On 5/13/2020 at 1:28 AM, Benice said:
  • Binding blade has some very good supports
  • Saul is my favorite healer in the franchise
  • Aran would be somewhat better than Nephenee if not for Halberdier/Sentinel having low caps in strength and defense
  • Swordmasters should have kept 30% crit bonus in the other GBA games and Berserkers should have been nerfed down to 15%. (To compensate for reliable 1-2 range and having the better weapon type)
  • Fir is worth using
  • In no way is Genealogy of the Holy war as good as Berwick Saga.

Unpopular facts.

13 hours ago, A random Villager said:

1743966397_FEforumstuff1.thumb.jpg.2d09378799f6d6a361d999254d152d5c.jpg

These are some excellent pictures, I must say. I like seeing people share "design document" type stuff like this.

I think this mechanic could actually work quite well. Yes, you would have to design maps around it, but that's the thing about game mechanics. You design the levels to take advantage of them.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:28 AM, Benice said:

That's one of his greatest strengths! His lopsided growths mean he can bonus exp like crazy to cap everything he doesn't have a ridiculously high growth rate in. He's practically minmaxed for bonus exp.

13 hours ago, A random Villager said:

Snip

I actually quite like that idea! The illustrations are good too. Did you make them yourself?

7 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Unpopular facts.

13QttGQ.png

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's one of his greatest strengths! His lopsided growths mean he can bonus exp like crazy to cap everything he doesn't have a ridiculously high growth rate in. He's practically minmaxed for bonus exp.

I mean, I guess I managed to get Laura to cap defense by abusing the bexp system, but it made me sad because Aran came up only a few points of damage short of OHKO'ing everything in the dragon map with dragonbane...In retrospect, it would have been better on Ike, simply because of his strength cap being high enough to OHKO everybody.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:50 AM, Jotari said:

2. Level up who for Conquest? The only Conquest exclusive units in the prologue is Gunter, who's not going to level up all that much at all due to being a prepromote and rejoins so late as to be virtually useless. The only characters you take from the prologue into Conquest are Corrin, Azura and Felica/Jacob who you're going to level any way as they're available in all routes. And even then Felicia/Jacob you're going to have a hard time not leveling up since they're around for two chapters when there only competition for exp is Gunter and Corrin. Azura also doesn't need dedicated levelling if you some how managed to not use her as she will always be viable and able to level thanks to dancing. Even if skipping the prologue did send you directly to Chapter 7 with no leveling at all, the only one who'd really suffer is Corrin. I suppose you could hoard all the exp onto Corrin during the chapters in Hoshido, but due to Fates rather strict exp gain curve that won't actually benefit all that massively  once Corrin gains a few levels above the levels of the enemies.

Well, if you level up Kaze, he'll have better bases and same for Corrin and if you want a different corrin, you're going to need the prologue anyways. Besides, you can also get some my castle resources early on which may come in handy.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well, if you level up Kaze, he'll have better bases and same for Corrin and if you want a different corrin, you're going to need the prologue anyways. Besides, you can also get some my castle resources early on which may come in handy.

I'm not sure how the autolevelling (or I don't know, parallel levelling?) works in regards to the asset and flaw, but I'm pretty sure you can create another Corrin, even with a different gender and sub class, from a save file that has completed the prologue.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:07 AM, A random Villager said:

That's a lot like how I was picturing it (and those are some great images by the way). I can see it working, and you make a good point about the disadvantage of there being a greater number of enemies that can surround them when transformed. 

I think that the next Fire Emblem game needs to somehow top the Battle of Belhalla in shock value and surprise. FE needs an extra “something” to help it not only stand out from its contemporaries but to break the myth the FE series is nothing but a dating sim and that friendship is magic.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I think that the next Fire Emblem game needs to somehow top the Battle of Belhalla in shock value and surprise. FE needs an extra “something” to help it not only stand out from its contemporaries but to break the myth the FE series is nothing but a dating sim and that friendship is magic.

How can the Battle of Belhalla be topped though? I mean killing the entire cast and having  the villains win is pretty damn major. There's not much up to go from there without just going full Berserk Eclipse grim dark. I could see them matching the Battle of Belhalla, but I struggle to think of things that could exceed it without just being a bad end. Which granted ending a game on a depressing note would be noteable and, if done well, I personally would respect it, but I don't think most of the fanbase would.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Here’s a question what’s wrong with the power of friendship? The power of friendship is great. I dunno about you but I personally love seeing characters show that they care for each other. Show that they can share their pain with one another and not have to suffer through the painful sting of loneliness and despair. Loneliness is one of the most painful forms of human suffering and I like seeing characters overcome that. It’s sweet and heartwarming. It’s also a message everyone could stand to hear. Why does everything need to be so dark and gritty all the time? Like shit, I wanna see characters crying over the realization that they don’t have to carry their burdens by themselves any longer and can share that burden with others.

Edited by Ottservia

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

How can the Battle of Belhalla be topped though? I mean killing the entire cast and having  the villains win is pretty damn major. There's not much up to go from there without just going full Berserk Eclipse grim dark. I could see them matching the Battle of Belhalla, but I struggle to think of things that could exceed it without just being a bad end. Which granted ending a game on a depressing note would be noteable and, if done well, I personally would respect it, but I don't think most of the fanbase would.

My idea is to have most of the cast die in a final defense chapter holding the line while being swarmed by the enemy. While it would be bittersweet it would have to be stressed that they died to save the world and that in the end their duty to protect what they loved outweighed their willingness to flee and live. That or have several of the characters get consumed and corrupted against their will, in a similar vein of what happened during the Horus Heresy in Warhammer 40K.

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Here’s a question what’s wrong with the power of friendship? The power of friendship is great. I dunno about you but I personally love seeing characters show that they care for each other. Show that they can share their pain with one another and not have to suffer through the painful sting of loneliness and despair. Loneliness is one of the most painful forms of human suffering and I like seeing characters overcome that. It’s sweet and heartwarming. It’s also a message everyone could stand to hear. Why does everything need to be so dark and gritty all the time? Like shit, I wanna see characters crying over the realization that they don’t have to carry their burdens by themselves any longer and can share that burden with others.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of fellowship @Ottservia. It has worked well in many famous works (LOTR and older FE games) but when it is ham fisted like in Awakening, like many other JRPGs and anime, it makes the concept feel cliche. I don’t need the characters of the game constantly prattling on about the importance of bonds when I can easy discern this for myself. I really don’t need to be hammered over the head anymore with the classic “we saved the world because friendship” or else I think I’m going die from diabetes.

Edited by Wraith

On 5/12/2020 at 4:18 AM, mrwanton said:

I agree the route split is done better in Fates, but you're also paying for 3 separate games so that's kinda to be expected.

Revelation aside, 3H does cost the same amount of money as BR and CQ combined. However, there is more unique content between those two routes of Fates than all 4 paths of 3H put together.

4 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Revelation aside, 3H does cost the same amount of money as BR and CQ combined. However, there is more unique content between those two routes of Fates than all 4 paths of 3H put together.

Agreed. Keep in mind, White Clouds is more than half of the game no matter what route you take.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Agreed. Keep in mind, White Clouds is more than half of the game no matter what route you take.

And the recycling of maps doesn't really stop at Part 1. There are like, 3 unique maps to distinguish AM from VW/SS.

Edited by UNLEASH IT