What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

35 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Choir practice is good if you need to train multiple characters in Faith, and want them to support (this is how I got Ferdinand and Dorothea to A in a hurry).  Cooking is literally once a month for a minor stat bonus, which is. . .uh, better than tea time?  IMO the most important activity is gardening, since you can get stat boosters out of it (which Byleth can use for recruitment purposes).  Fishing would only be if you're going to spam the mess hall/cooking.

Sauna can be pretty useful if you want to hit those weapon rank benchmarks. Though much like cooking it's something you need to do just once a month (most preferably at the very start).

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooking can be done multiple times a month tho, I clearly remember my units having two separate boosts on the same map from cooking.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, I think "fun" should be more important than balance. What's the point if the game is dull? 

Because balance contributes to the fun itself. More balance means more replay value, and more things in the game that are fun and satisfying to use against enemies.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Because balance contributes to the fun itself. More balance means more replay value, and more things in the game that are fun and satisfying to use against enemies.

I disagree, personally. As long as the game isn't competitive, I don't think that balance is the only thing that should make a game fun to someone. Competitive gaming sure as hell better be balanced somewhere, obviously.

I could name a lot of other games from series or whatnot that are really enjoyable without balance being a thing.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I disagree, personally. As long as the game isn't competitive, I don't think that balance is the only thing that should make a game fun to someone. Competitive gaming sure as hell better be balanced somewhere, obviously.

I could name a lot of other games from series or whatnot that are really enjoyable without balance being a thing.

There's that thing again. You said that when we were talking about RD balance too. I mentioned a bunch of things that were controversial about RD, and during our discussion about balance, you said something about balance being a pretty silly thing to be the sole reason for hating a game. I didn't bring it up before, but now that you're mentioning it again, I have to ask:

Where did I say that the only thing I care about is balance?

Edited by Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

There's that thing again. You said that when we were talking about RD balance too. I mentioned a bunch of things that were controversial about RD, and during our discussion about balance, you said something about balance being a pretty silly thing to be the sole reason for hating a game. I didn't bring it up before, but now that you're mentioning it again, I have to ask:

Where did I say that the only thing I care about is balance?

Sorry, I was generalizing, that actually wasn't really "directed" at anyone. Just that a lot of people think that if a game is unbalanced, it's unplayable. I don't believe that way, it's as simple as that.

26 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Sorry, I was generalizing, that actually wasn't really "directed" at anyone. Just that a lot of people think that if a game is unbalanced, it's unplayable. I don't believe that way, it's as simple as that.

Nor do I, to be clear. I just see it as an area where it could stand to improve.

The silver lining, if there is one, to RD's imbalance, is that, to an extent, you may end up using a lot of characters a little in the short term. The part system and rotating armies leads can cause that. But, it isn't true balance, and it isn't guaranteed to happen.

While I still love RD, I am increasingly souring on simultaneous route splits- as in RD, SoV, and TearRing Saga. Narratively and in gameplay principle, it's good. However, I feel that in every game, there are characters who get the shaft because although there might be a good number of chapters left when they join, the route split means the reality is they won't get substantial and real time to shine. This applies mostly those in need of training, such as Kieran, Conrad, and even the fairly early Sharon. People like Caineghis and Yoda aren't affected by it, because they will shine brightly in their limited time because they are so very strong to start.

I think it's okay if some options are better than others; after all we don't know it, other players will get them anyway... we just need to avoid making options without any kind of niche.

Edited by Troykv

I know we all joke and meme about Mustafa, but...he was a genuinely good character for a one-off boss. I wish we could've at least gotten the option to spare his life, whether or not we could recruit him.

49 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

I know we all joke and meme about Mustafa, but...he was a genuinely good character for a one-off boss. I wish we could've at least gotten the option to spare his life, whether or not we could recruit him.

What are the jokes and memes about him? He's in heroes now, which surprised me. Probably the most minor character that has managed to get in.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What are the jokes and memes about him? He's in heroes now, which surprised me. Probably the most minor character that has managed to get in.

About how he's a one-off boss and all?

I actually like Echoes' Map Design so far?

I've beaten most of the game, I've just recruited Zeke as Alm and got past the Sage's Hamlet as Celica but I actually liked some of the more infamous maps I've heard people not like, such as Nuibaba's stage and I know that stage isn't well-liked but I actually sorta liked how the devs did stuff like blocking Nuibaba off from Cav rushes via mountain tiles for difficulty instead of say, Enemy reinforcements.

It feels alot more fair when it's accounting for stuff like Swamp tiles or the enemy being in an awkward spot and such rather than enemies spawning out of nowhere and rushing my weak units.

Edited by Samz707

11 hours ago, Perkilator said:

About how he's a one-off boss and all?

I don't see how a joke could be formed around that or regarding him specifically. There's dozens of one off bosses in the series.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't see how a joke could be formed around that or regarding him specifically. There's dozens of one off bosses in the series.

Okay, you're right. I dunno what I'm talking about.

From what I hear, people hate Makalov. But a lot of people have also come to terms with him and the fact that not everyone in the series has to be a good person.

But my actual unpopular opinion here is that I think Astrid's character has not been butchered in RD because she likes him now.

In fact, I don't see much difference between her character in FE9 and in FE10. In FE10, she's still this Begnion noble trying to make her own life and fleeing the burdens of forced marriage. Some people say that her admiration of Makalov ruins her character, but the thing is, I thought she always admired him. People often forget that Astrid actually has a support with Makalov in FE9, and I actually like the support. Sure, Makalov might as well be at his worst here, but towards the end, he does really seem to regret his behavior, and Astrid compliments him for acknowledging his mistake. Astrid sees value in Makalov that no one else can see, simply because her life up to this point has seen worse. She grows to appreciate Makalov for what he is, and whatever good he has in his own heart. That's why I'm not too angry about her turning into a Makalov love-bot later.

What should have been done though... they should have changed Makalov's character in Radiant Dawn. They should have made it so that Makalov would have grown as a character thanks to Astrid and have him aspire to do great things and become a great knight, which could have lead to some interesting dynamic between him and Kieran too. If they had done that, I'm sure a lot more people would accept him as Astrid's canon pairing. Even if he isn't that, tho, Astrid choosing him perfectly falls in line with the fact that she's broken free of forced marriage by choosing the worst suitor possible to be her husband for life.

Not everyday you see someone defending that ship.

Edited by Koops

On 6/6/2020 at 7:13 AM, Perkilator said:

Honestly, while I also like the idea, it would kind of defeat the piint of his character. He's a merciful and good intentioned man wrapped up with the erong people, but he is too loyal to turn agaisnt his orders. Chrom is forced to kill him if he wants to escape, and the act shapes his outlook on Pelegia. It's just like how having Walhart return as a recruitablr unit, while awesome, kind of defeats his character arc.

So I’ve been playing through path of radiance recently and 23 chapters in the story is kinda mid. Not to say it’s bad far from it actually. I’d probably rate somewhere around a 6.5 or 7/10 at least so far. It just hasn’t really gotten me all that personally invested. Not to say it hasn’t entirely but I don’t connect with this story as I do awakening which is of no fault to path of radiance’s story I should stress but overall the story is pretty average to me. 

Edited by Ottservia

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

So I’ve been playing through path of radiance recently and 23 chapters in the story is kinda mid. Not to say it’s bad far from it actually. I’d probably rate somewhere around a 6.5 or 7/10 at least so far. It just hasn’t really gotten me all that personally invested. Not to say it hasn’t entirely but I don’t connect with this story as I do awakening which is of no fault to path of radiance’s story I should stress but overall the story is pretty average to me. 

Is Awakening your favourite story? I'd rate PoR a 7.5/10. It's a pretty good story but not as good as some hype it up to be. 

Edited by Icelerate

I think it works perfectly for its own game tho. Like, it's nothing super spectacular but it's all this game needs tbh.

13 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Is Awakening your favourite story? I'd rate PoR a 7.5/10. It's a pretty good story but not as good as some hype it up to be. 

Yes, awakening is my favorite story because it’s the kind of story that resonates with me more at least on a personal level. Objectively speaking, I feel like the two stories are pretty equal in terms of quality. I just like awakening more but that’s just a matter of personal taste really.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Yes, awakening is my favorite story because it’s the kind of story that resonates with me more at least on a personal level. Objectively speaking, I feel like the two stories are pretty equal in terms of quality. I just like awakening more but that’s just a matter of personal taste really.

I would seriously contest them being equal objectively, but then I haven't scrutinized either of them yet for my marathon. But Awakening has some pretty egregious writing problems, mostly in being a really, really shitty sequel to FE1 and FE3.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I would seriously contest them being equal objectively, but then I haven't scrutinized either of them yet for my marathon. But Awakening has some pretty egregious writing problems, mostly in being a really, really shitty sequel to FE1 and FE3.

There’s just nothing I can find objectively wrong with either of them, tbh. They both are pretty structurally sound, the plot points connect logically and flow into one another well, the characters are pretty good, and overall both stories explore their themes in ideas in decent depth. Again nothing really wrong with either of them. Though I will say PoR has much better world building.

51 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

There’s just nothing I can find objectively wrong with either of them, tbh. They both are pretty structurally sound, the plot points connect logically and flow into one another well, the characters are pretty good, and overall both stories explore their themes in ideas in decent depth. Again nothing really wrong with either of them. Though I will say PoR has much better world building.

Out of curiosity, what games in the series have you played?

Edited by Alastor15243