What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I'm very anti fanservice myself. In fact I frankly despise it's existence. I start seeing designs like Charlotte's, Tharja's, Camilla's, etc, and it's an automatic several point knock in my enjoyment of whatever game I'm playing, especially since most games I play involve doing battle so put some freaking clothes on people! I do not care that it is fantasy if you go onto a battlefield wearing a cloth bikini you are getting eviscerated and I won't feel bad for you because you're dumb.

Also that whole mentality of "You can't criticize author intent" is cringey and bad. Yes you can criticize their intent if they're shoving what looks like 12 year olds on a screen in revealing clothes and then saying you can have an adult marry them and have kids. I don't care if the character is "actually over 1000 years old" there are lines that must be drawn and I will criticize any writer for pulling that slimey crap. That should be an extreme example but it's not and people defend it. I will not. FE is not exempt from this.

Honestly even some of the less-fanservicy design stuff in Awakening bothers me.

Like Lissa with her dress cage thing, which is totally a reasonable thing to wear in a battlefield.

Or the upward facing spikes on the Twins armor.

I pretty much don't like any of the designs in that game to be honest, same with any of the "Returning" weapons that don't actually even remotely resemble their original apperances. (Or the frankly awful "new" designs for any of the FE7/Echoes cast, which just look like re-coloured enemy models given a quick recolour, Hector doesn't even remotely look like himself.)

Edited by Samz707

21 hours ago, ElricBros. said:

Eh, I dunno about that one. I thought [Birthright] was strategic enough.

There was not much for me to analyse before advancing onto the enemies. The game was too forgiving, there was only a small death risk regardless of my moves. And once Ryoma joins, the risk was nil. The boring map design, in particular, and the lack of objective diversity do not help. Once your party is strong enough (which happens very soon), you can walk around in circles like a zombie. It plays like a regular turn-based RPG.
(I am not implying that the gameplay of common turn-based RPG's is dumb. They may require strategic decisions while mastering a system and be certainly engaging and challenging, but that does not make them "strategy games", nor would they label themselves so.)

8 hours ago, ping said:

I am convinced that increased focus on fanservice has been to the detriment of the later FE games, sexual or otherwise. Most egregious example, in my opinion, is that the "everything is fuckable" imperative overrides the central theme of family by birth / upbrining in Fates. And I do find it problematic how that imperative also extends to very decidedly childlike characters - Nowi, Ricken, Elise, Hayato...

8 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Well Chrom thinks Ricken is too young to fight so I think Ricken just outright is a child, apparently he's younger than Lissa, who's 15, which means he's 14 at most.

I, on the other hand, have no issues with a character marrying a younger character in the era that most Fire Emblem games take place, which is a version of the Middle Ages. Even in Four Houses, which takes places in the Modern Age, such a union may be uncommon but not unthinkable, and certainly not illegal. Until the very late 19th century, puberty, and not adulthood, was the qualifying factor for being suitable for marriage in Western Europe.

That being said, it may help that I never see myself as Corrin or Daraen, nor do I play Cupid with the characters. I am detached from the characters and do not ever take them seriously. I mean, I would not marry and old character like Gunther to Elise, but I would not marry him to any of the adult women either. Poor Gunther. 🙃

7 minutes ago, starburst said:

...it may help that I never see myself as Corrin or Daraen, nor do I play Cupid with the characters. I am detached from the characters and do not ever take them seriously. I mean, I would not marry and old character like Gunther to Elise, but I would not marry him to any of the adult women either.

I honestly see what you're saying here. Ignoring the fact that Gunter can only support Conquest!Corrin, not taking them seriously is a valid concern. As for not seeing yourself as your avatar, that's... debatable. For Kris, Robin and Corrin I see myself as them OUTSIDE of the story, but during cutscenes boom, boring canon dialogue activate. Byleth is even worse off, as I fail to even see him as my avatar in terms of support and gameplay (although lack of customization certainly doesn't help his case).

I do like the concept of an avatar character, but I'd personally write them so they hardly have any presence in story like Mark, but serve an important role to the real hero like Robin and are a fully customizable unit like Kris. The biggest problem, though, is that you can't really "write" an avatar to fully synergize with the player without taking away core personality traits. I would have three dialogue trees for my ideal avatar, although you'd choose their personality (snarky, kind, or serious) at the start.

But enough about my fantasies on how a future avatar unit could work. Let's say something unpopular!

I know this has been said. Multiple times. But I love Fates!

13 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I didn't feel threatened, but it felt as though an opinion of mine was being dismissed because you simply disagreed about my opinion and how it was worded. I don't take issue with someone challenging my opinion, but saying that I'm wrong for expressing it how I did is something I don't tolerate. I should be able to present my thoughts in the way I want to, even if you may disagree.

No worries though, I enjoy debate and discussion and am glad to have others to chat with about topics like this. If anything, I respect how passionate you are about what you believe in or enjoy. It's nice to have people like that to debate with.

This...isn't the first time this issue has come up with Ottservia. This isn't the first time this issue has come up with Ottservia and you! Does no one else remember the ten page off topic discussion about what objective and subjective are?

I don’t wasn’t a member then but reddit can give a link to that convo and I was shocked about that. And as for Avatar. Byleth was in a specific way the worst. He can’t be customized in appearance he/she has a canon birthday 20 of horsebow moon. Are a stillborn and a chosen one/vessel for the Progenitor god. Their support feels like blind followers. And him/her not talking/voice makes immersion in the world unnatural. I  said it Earlier with the AVGN Rambo quote “John the movie can’t continue until you say yes” If Byleth or Corrin dies and the world stop and dies cause people who don’t know them can’t live anymore. It not just Bad Writing and World Building. Its Fanfiction Tier Writhing.if Fodlan can Fonction without Byleth/Sothis than the world building is good since it can still fonction but If it can’t.then Three houses has wasted potential. I’ve made 3 topics about Byleth and that 

Edited by NaotoUzumaki
Lack of polish

15 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Well Chrom thinks Ricken is too young to fight so I think Ricken just outright is a child, apparently he's younger than Lissa, who's 15, which means he's 14 at most.

I find Ricken a somewhat lighter example than most. With Maribelle and Lissa its very easy to pair Ricken with someone in his general age range and there are strong implications the older characters waits until he's an adult. Cordelia says they'll wait till he's of age and his confession of Robin is ''just wait till I'm a little taller''. Time travel being involved means the current child version of Ricken isn't making any kids just yet. 

Fates very noticeably lacks that excuse. There is no time travel which means characters like Elise, Hayato and Percy can get children while still being children themselves. The game's increasingly weak excuses of these characters secretly being adults also makes it worse instead of better. Ricken will eventually grow up but if Hayato really is an adult he'll likely stay looking like a child for years to come. It also doesn't help that all these ''technical adults'' act like children and have very child like portrait expressions such as where they make big childish pouts or start crying. 

Chapter 2 is one of my favorite chapters in FE4, and was the chapter that made me fall in the love with the game.  It is where the story well and truly shifts into the political drama it’s known for, introduces many great characters like Lachesis and the Silessian crew, and boasts one of the most memorable map themes in the series.  I’m beating around the bush however – from my understanding it isn’t the story, setting, or music players tend to cite as problems here. 

I can understand why some may not appreciate it from a gameplay perspective.  On the surface horse emblem is just as prevalent as ever, there is some backtracking, Lewyn and Silvia’s isolated starting position is awkward to correct, and the Mackily bottleneck can be a nuisance.  Personally, the more I play it the more I like it.  It incentivizes the player into action right from the get-go, and slamming into Elliot’s cavalry with your own is so satisfying.  Mileage will vary, but I’ve never had a problem getting my infantry to meaningfully contribute while on A-rank tactic pace.  They can finish off the Hierhein blockade, and help out a little with the Voltz Mercenaries before heading back down to prepare for the Macikly assault. 

Speaking of which – despite the occasional tedium, I appreciate what I assume they were going for.  Unlike many castle assaults in the series, even those touted to be “impregnable”, Mackily genuinely feels well-defended.  Which makes sense given its geography and the establishment of its lord as a cautious, level-headed individual who’s had time to assess the flow of the battle.  It’s one of the many great story/gameplay integrations in the Jugdral duology. 

The only things I would really change about the chapter would be to make Eve’s survival in the beginning less RNG-based, and to give Lewyn and Silvia a more efficient way out of the village area that doesn't require Warp/Return.  Perhaps have a land-slide in the southern portion between Nordion and Mackily that occurs after seizing Anphony, similar to what occurs after conquering Yied in Chapter 7.  They could even allude to it in the village Lewyn appears from, stating that the cliff-side in that area is very unstable.            

Out of all of Three Houses characters, I dislike Sylvain the most (with Leonie being second worst, but that's a separate topic). He is everything negative about the flirtatious womanizer stereotype without the redeeming qualities that give characters like Inigo or Sain charm. He openly states that he womanizes as a sort of revenge against them for wanting the prestige of his Crest rather than who he is as a person. He also acknowledges that, regardless of why he does it, his actions are wrong. But he never changes. Not until he marries another character in one of his endings, that is. It's one thing to merely flirt with women. That stereotype has been done to death, but I think it can (and has) been done right in FE. For me, he doesn't have any attributes that positively balance out his negative ones.

On the other hand, Inigo is a flirt, a harmless and unsuccessful one at that, but he is also a noble guy who puts on a facade of optimism for the sake of others and the cause of defeating Grima.

Inigo: You may think me a dandy and a fool, but a lot of people depended on me in the future. Every day, I was out there fighting Risen and risking my life. With everyone looking to me to be strong, I had no choice. I HAD to be invincible. I couldn't complain or show any weakness. Not with everyone else struggling in that damn war-torn wasteland... Even with you and Mother gone, I had to pretend I was fine. That I wasn't hurting. I had to fight every day of my sorry life and wear a smile while I did it!

He's not just some flirt who likes to harass women. He's a guy who puts on a brave face to cover his own internal wounds. Even if his flirting gets on other people's nerves, there's never any bad intent behind it, unlike Sylvain, who mistreats women because of a personal grudge against them.

38 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Out of all of Three Houses characters, I dislike Sylvain the most (with Leonie being second worst, but that's a separate topic). He is everything negative about the flirtatious womanizer stereotype without the redeeming qualities that give characters like Inigo or Sain charm. He openly states that he womanizes as a sort of revenge against them for wanting the prestige of his Crest rather than who he is as a person. He also acknowledges that, regardless of why he does it, his actions are wrong. But he never changes. Not until he marries another character in one of his endings, that is. It's one thing to merely flirt with women. That stereotype has been done to death, but I think it can (and has) been done right in FE. For me, he doesn't have any attributes that positively balance out his negative ones.

On the other hand, Inigo is a flirt, a harmless and unsuccessful one at that, but he is also a noble guy who puts on a facade of optimism for the sake of others and the cause of defeating Grima.

Inigo: You may think me a dandy and a fool, but a lot of people depended on me in the future. Every day, I was out there fighting Risen and risking my life. With everyone looking to me to be strong, I had no choice. I HAD to be invincible. I couldn't complain or show any weakness. Not with everyone else struggling in that damn war-torn wasteland... Even with you and Mother gone, I had to pretend I was fine. That I wasn't hurting. I had to fight every day of my sorry life and wear a smile while I did it!

He's not just some flirt who likes to harass women. He's a guy who puts on a brave face to cover his own internal wounds. Even if his flirting gets on other people's nerves, there's never any bad intent behind it, unlike Sylvain, who mistreats women because of a personal grudge against them.

And that’s precisely why I personally love him. It’s those aspects of his character that give him added depth that Inigo doesn’t really have(not to say Inigo is a worse character or anything just that he and Sylvain are different and are good in their own ways). Yeah he’s a dick bag but that’s what makes him so compelling. The reason why he’s like this makes a lot of sense and is deeply ingrained within the flaws of Foldlan’s society which not only adds depth to his character but also the world he’s a part of. His ideals and view on the world are extremely jaded and I can’t help but pity him for it. It’s not his fault he was born with a crest and that crest has only brought him suffering in that and(at least how I interpret it) he feels like no one really sees him for him but rather just his crest for the sake of making crest babies and continuing the family line. He’s a very interesting character with a lot of depth and facets to his personality that are grounded both in his backstory and the society he grew up in.

Another aspect of his character that I really love is that he can support every female character in the game but aside from like two or three none of those supports end in an A rank which kinda shows that he’s afraid of any kind of commitment unless he knows that person genuinely cares for him not his crest as I believe his only female A supports can only be gotten with Dorothea, Mercedes, Ingrid, and Byleth. Aside from Byleth, the only female characters he can A support are ones with similar struggles to his in that they suffered due to their crest or in the case of Dorothea suffers from not wanting to be thought of some kind of object and wants to be loved for being themselves not solely for their looks or crest.

Edited by Ottservia

I have a new unpopular opinion

The Ashen Wolves' supports are a bit too limited and there are characters I say they could be shipped with! If anyone here would like I could list my ideas for that!

6 hours ago, Deer's Wolf said:

I have a new unpopular opinion

The Ashen Wolves' supports are a bit too limited and there are characters I say they could be shipped with! If anyone here would like I could list my ideas for that!

I would like to see what ideas you have. Personally, I felt that Yuri didn`t need a support with Ingrid.

Its really strange that Yuri got a support with Ingrid based on Sylvain once annoying a retainer in house Rowe. If they wanted to play up Yuri's connection to that house then Ashe would be the far better option since they already have a history together and seem fond of each other. 

30 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its really strange that Yuri got a support with Ingrid based on Sylvain once annoying a retainer in house Rowe. If they wanted to play up Yuri's connection to that house then Ashe would be the far better option since they already have a history together and seem fond of each other. 

You mean in Cindered Shadows? That brings up the issue of that whole thing being questionably canon to the main game. I mean in-game you can meet the guys for the first time in like chapter 2 and they instantly go "Fuck it, sure, I'll join your class, like I've got anything better to do." No big friendship adventure required.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

You mean in Cindered Shadows? That brings up the issue of that whole thing being questionably canon to the main game. I mean in-game you can meet the guys for the first time in like chapter 2 and they instantly go "Fuck it, sure, I'll join your class, like I've got anything better to do." No big friendship adventure required.

Well its not just cindered shadows. Ashe already knew Yuri before he became part of the Ashen Wolves. He recognizes Yuri as the son of lord Rowe and Yuri recognizes him in turn. In the main story Yuri says he's acquainted with Lonato and if he fights Ashe at Ailel they'll again speak as if they know each other. 

From a lore perspective it makes sense that the adopted kids of Rowe and Lonato know each other and they talk to each other as if they indeed do know each other. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well its not just cindered shadows. Ashe already knew Yuri before he became part of the Ashen Wolves. He recognizes Yuri as the son of lord Rowe and Yuri recognizes him in turn. In the main story Yuri says he's acquainted with Lonato and if he fights Ashe at Ailel they'll again speak as if they know each other. 

From a lore perspective it makes sense that the adopted kids of Rowe and Lonato know each other and they talk to each other as if they indeed do know each other. 

Ah, sorry. While I beat Cindered shadows within the last few months, I played the first few chapters when it came out and then hadn't touched it since then, so I forgot about that part.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's worse than that, Cindered Shadow has a very definite time in the story when it takes place (right after Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator), yet Aelfric can be found wandering around the monastery long after that time. Not to mention Balthus and Yuri have their relics in Cindered Shadows yet they have to get them way later after being acquainted with Byleth in the main story. That I could chalk up to gameplay convenience though, the final boss of Cindered Shadow walking around when he should have been killed months ago is untenable though.

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's worse than that, Cindered Shadow has a very definite time in the story when it takes place (right after Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator), yet Aelfric can be found wandering around the monastery long after that time. Not to mention Balthus and Yuri have their relics in Cindered Shadows yet they have to get them way later after being acquainted with Byleth in the main story. That I could chalk up to gameplay convenience though, the final boss of Cindered Shadow walking around when he should have been killed months ago is untenable though.

Oh shit, really? Wow. I hadn't noticed that yet. Just recruited the Ashen wolves recently for my mandatory church route run, since I've gotta do the church route before the marathon gets that far.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:55 AM, Metal Flash said:

I would like to see what ideas you have. Personally, I felt that Yuri didn`t need a support with Ingrid.

Alright then, here are my ideas

Yuri-

*Claude

*Dedue

*Flayn

*Annette

Hapi-

*Claude

*Raphael

*Ignatz

*Caspar

Balthus-

*Leonie

*Marianne

*Caspar

Constance-

*Caspar

*Linhardt

*Lorenz

*Sylvain

Edited by Deer's Wolf
Completely forgot!

Fire Emblem needs to lay off the fancy visuals.

Part of the joy of the fancy Critical hit animations in GBA games was because they're rare, You're  mostly normal-y medieval  dudes so when it kicks in and the fancy visual stuff starts, it's a joy both because it's rare and because the fancy visuals actually match with an fittingly cool attack. (or terrifying if the enemy got a crit.)

Then you have still like Bernie using her default weapon art (which you'll do, since it has increased range, alot.) in TH where the wind starts kicking up for some reason like Bernie was an Helicopter trying to lift off even though she's just using a bow (or the constant attempts at making fights in cutscenes look fancy with flips/jumping everywhere in the 3Ds games.) or the Batallions charging with anime-speed lines despite not even going at a decent speed , it stops being cool and starts being like a bad action movie, where the omnipresent fancy visuals stop being impressive and start being boring since for me. (or just the attempts at being stylish with nose-lines in TH, which just look awful.)

Same with the character designs trying to be all fancy in Awakening and just really looking bad in the process because they're overdesigned trying to be fancy outfits that just end up looking really stupid. (Such as Lissa's dress cage or character's lacking proper armor most of the time.)

It's like explosions in action movies, they're good for the odd setpiece and maybe even many in a row if the situation called for it but generally if you made an action-movie where almost every scene something exploded, it loses it's charm fast.

Edited by Samz707

58 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

character's lacking proper armor most of the time

Most characters post-Kaga aren't really wearing proper armor or battlewear-this is not a Three houses- or Post Awakening exclusive problem. For example in the GBA era, aside from knights, wyvern riders and cavs, most characters aren't wearing "Practical" clothing. Pegasus riders, for example, are wearing miniskirts, which aren't exactly combat-appropriate, among other things. Clerics and mages have never worn armor post-Kaga era (And only specific classes wore armor in Kaga's day,) so Lissa is not the only offender of poor armor choice.

Plus, overall, the GBA animations were also quite over-the-top. Swordmasters come to mind as superhuman in their animations, not to mention Hector leaping around with tons of armor, etc. I'm not saying that the GBA animations are bad, (Because they're not,) but they're more or less the same a 3h with less detail. They are very much unrealistic. (And simpler too. IMO the biggest problem with 3h's visuals are how much it tried to bite off leading to low quality overall.)

I do agree with your point of simplicity is better, but saying that 3h is bad for unrealistic visuals compared to the GBA era isn't really fair when neither are gonna win any awards for being logical or realistic.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Most characters post-Kaga aren't really wearing proper armor or battlewear-this is not a Three houses- or Post Awakening exclusive problem. For example in the GBA era, aside from knights, wyvern riders and cavs, most characters aren't wearing "Practical" clothing. Pegasus riders, for example, are wearing miniskirts, which aren't exactly combat-appropriate, among other things. Clerics and mages have never worn armor post-Kaga era (And only specific classes wore armor in Kaga's day,) so Lissa is not the only offender of poor armor choice.

Plus, overall, the GBA animations were also quite over-the-top. Swordmasters come to mind as superhuman in their animations, not to mention Hector leaping around with tons of armor, etc. I'm not saying that the GBA animations are bad, (Because they're not,) but they're more or less the same a 3h with less detail. They are very much unrealistic. (And simpler too. IMO the biggest problem with 3h's visuals are how much it tried to bite off leading to low quality overall.)

I do agree with your point of simplicity is better, but saying that 3h is bad for unrealistic visuals compared to the GBA era isn't really fair when neither are gonna win any awards for being logical or realistic.

At least they aren't constantly having speedlines, dramatic close ups and wind effects. (Since wind effects and other stuff are actually saved for critical hits.)

I swear it's a thing in Modern FE games to drag out combat animations as much as they can and it just contributes to how tedious I find them to actually play. (I'm only on my third battle in TH and I'm already skipping the animations because they last too long while I was well over halfway through FE7 before I started speeding them with the emulator..)

Edited by Samz707

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

I swear it's a thing in Modern FE games to drag out combat animations as much as they can and it just contributes to how tedious I find them to actually play. (I'm only on my third battle in TH and I'm already skipping the animations because they last too long while I was well over halfway through FE7 before I started speeding them with the emulator..)

I don't find 'em so bad, but I also played RD on original hardware. From the sounds of it, you may not have played it, because good golly, those animations are slow as heck. Even with map animations only. They're pretty, but slower than my brain.

3 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

At least they aren't constantly having speedlines, dramatic close ups and wind effects. (Since wind effects and other stuff are actually saved for critical hits.)

Let's be honest, they would have if the GBA was able to do stuff like that.

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

Tbh, FE characters have never really had practical armor in any game, apart from armor knights maybe, Kaga-era included.

20 minutes ago, Benice said:

IMO the biggest problem with 3h's visuals are how much it tried to bite off leading to low quality overall.)

I definitely don't fault 3H's visuals being the way they are because they tried to do too much. If anything, they didn't put nearly enough effort into the visuals and performance, with choppy frame rates and awful textures in some spots. They simply didn't make the best use of the Switch's hardware, which is perfectly capable of handling detailed environments and higher frame rates.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tbh, FE characters have never really had practical armor in any game, apart from armor knights maybe, Kaga-era included.

I definitely don't fault 3H's visuals being the way they are because they tried to do too much. If anything, they didn't put nearly enough effort into the visuals and performance, with choppy frame rates and awful textures in some spots. They simply didn't make the best use of the Switch's hardware, which is perfectly capable of handling detailed environments and higher frame rates.

Yeah 3H to me kinda looks godawful, I do not like one bit of that game's visuals and it's kinda terrible when it's clear the game devs didn't even realize it, even Deadly Premonition 2, a game lambasted for it's graphics, has better character models in what I've played of both games.

Such as when you go to the Canyon early on and Sothis talks about how "unforgettable" it is while the actual map wouldn't look out of place in any generic brown and grey military game, it's literally a forgettable generic canyon level, there is nothing memorable about it on a visual level, it's literally almost entirely brown.

Not to mention how frankly awful the battle models look with how jagged they look, I honestly thought the game was glitching the first time I played and wasn't rendering the faces right.

Edited by Samz707