What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

6 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I am but not for the same reasons as you. I don’t like it because it kinda muffles the whole “trust in family” theme the game has going on

That's what I said.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that the new games are fully voice acted now, so I just turn voice volume to 0. But when you do that it also gets rid of the battle voices which I like to have. It's a complete waste of money that could be used elsewhere.

They talk way too slow, and the previous games voice acting was so bad it has turned me off english VA for good. FE14 for example, was so bad I went and got the fan translation of the JP version just to not have to suffer through that.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's what I said.

Not really, you said that the game tries to push a bond that’s there when there wasn’t supposed to be one which bothers me because that’s not true. The whole point of story is about believing in that bond despite having been apart for so long. They are still your family regardless. My problem with being able to romance your siblings thing is that the game just kinda goes “well you’re actually not my family so let’s fuck” which kinda rubs me the wrong way because the point of the story is that they are your family so you should trust them no matter what. I mean I don’t think it’s a huge deal but there’s a bit of an inconsistency there

1 hour ago, Mars of Aritia said:

I hate that the new games are fully voice acted now, so I just turn voice volume to 0. But when you do that it also gets rid of the battle voices which I like to have. It's a complete waste of money that could be used elsewhere.

They talk way too slow, and the previous games voice acting was so bad it has turned me off english VA for good.

Now, this took me by surprise!

I disliked the gameplay of Echoes and Four Houses, but their voice acting was overall good in my opinion. Specially in the case of Echoes, its presentation was so good that I kept playing more chapters even though the maps bored me.
I did hate some voices, like Mercedes's, but the rest of what I heard were decent, at least inoffensive. And some were brilliant, like Hapi's.

If you told me that all the money invested in voice acting would go to map design, I would be 110 % with you. Otherwise I think that voice acting enhances the experience, specially for the players who focus on characters, which seem to be the great majority now.

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Not really, you said that the game tries to push a bond that’s there when there wasn’t supposed to be one which bothers me because that’s not true. The whole point of story is about believing in that bond despite having been apart for so long. They are still your family regardless. My problem with being able to romance your siblings thing is that the game just kinda goes “well you’re actually not my family so let’s fuck” which kinda rubs me the wrong way because the point of the story is that they are your family so you should trust them no matter what. I mean I don’t think it’s a huge deal but there’s a bit of an inconsistency there

Exactly. The game pushes that there is a bond there and then just retcons it when it becomes convent for an S support. The fact that Corrin isn't actually related to the Hoshidons never has any influence on the plot at all, even in Revalations where they discover it outside of an S support.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, Florete said:

*COUGH*sigurdanddeirdre*ACHOO*

(But really I don't understand why people like those two so much. Yes I know this isn't what you were talking about but it's what immediately came to mind)

Sigurd, with his prince charming looks, matches well with the character and background of Deirdre and their relationship gives more weight to the tragedy of the first generation of Genealogy of the Holy War in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Sigurd, with his prince charming looks, matches well with the character and background of Deirdre and their relationship gives more weight to the tragedy of the first generation of Genealogy of the Holy War in my opinion.

I don't disagree with any of that. The problem I had is that I couldn't get invested in their relationship because it happens so fast. They have, like, three lines of dialogue before getting married, and we don't see much more before Deirdre is taken away.

21 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

They talk way too slow, and the previous games voice acting was so bad it has turned me off english VA for good. FE14 for example, was so bad I went and got the fan translation of the JP version just to not have to suffer through that.

Eh I don't mind it too much in Three houses, even if I can read pretty much someone's entire line in the time it takes them to say the first two words and I liked in Echoes.

It more annoys me in Awakening since the constant barrage of "Hm?" "Chrom" "Robin" and other mumbling is personally really, really obnoxious.

Admittingly, Mercedes VA (in the one line of dialogue I heard from her at the monestary) is personally godawful, she's trying so hard to sound so pure and innocent it actually comes across as someone being incredibly sarcastic, out of context I'd assume someone was mocking another character with her voice acting.

3 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It more annoys me in Awakening since the constant barrage of "Hm?" "Chrom" "Robin" and other mumbling is personally really, really obnoxious.

While I agree with you overall, this does create some funny moments sometimes, especially when you're not looking at the game and/or someone else is playing it.
One gem in particular was when I had a friend over, he played Nah's paralogue, and had Chrom recruit her. You get Chrom's "Listen", followed suit by Nah's "Nope". We laughed a lot at that.

10 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Eh I don't mind it too much in Three houses, even if I can read pretty much someone's entire line in the time it takes them to say the first two words and I liked in Echoes.

Admittingly, Mercedes VA (in the one line of dialogue I heard from her at the monestary) is personally godawful, she's trying so hard to sound so pure and innocent it actually comes across as someone being incredibly sarcastic, out of context I'd assume someone was mocking another character with her voice acting.

thankfully, you can turn off those annoying grunts by going to the options menu and setting story voices to off.

9 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't disagree with any of that. The problem I had is that I couldn't get invested in their relationship because it happens so fast. They have, like, three lines of dialogue before getting married, and we don't see much more before Deirdre is taken away.

The fact that they spend little time together (at least as we are shown) also contributes to the tragedy. It is more a question of what was vs what could have been.

If FE4 remake ever happens, they need to really put alot of work in the character department. Especially Gen 2, but Gen 1 has some cases (like Sigurd x Deirdre) as well.

And don't let me start on the needed gameplay changes

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

I wish awakening had full voice acting gonna be honest. There are a lot of talented actors in the cast it’s a shame we don’t get to hear them very often(also I would kill to hear more Tomokazu Sugita or Yoshimasu Hosoya)

Edited by Ottservia

50 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

The fact that they spend little time together (at least as we are shown) also contributes to the tragedy. It is more a question of what was vs what could have been.

Well they have about two years together in canon, so while it's not a life time it's not really that short, especially giving their relatively young ages.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I wish awakening had full voice acting gonna be honest. There are a lot of talented actors in the cast it’s a shame we don’t get to hear them very often(also I would kill to hear more Tomokazu Sugita or Yoshimasu Hosoya)

That would have been better, granted it wouldn't have saved the game's writing for me. (Since well, I think it's really bad) but it definitely would have been better than mumble-central which we ended up with.

If they at least kept so that say, everyone's FIRST line of dialogue in a conversation had it, that would have been fine but every time the speaker changes is kinda too much.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but for the next Fire Emblem game, I hope it won't be a remake.

Not that remakes are bad, but I would prefer something completely new than something I might have played before? And plus if we were getting a remake next, that would mean we would have to wait even more who knows how many years for a non-remake Fire Emblem game, which makes me sad. 

7 hours ago, Samz707 said:

That would have been better, granted it wouldn't have saved the game's writing for me. (Since well, I think it's really bad) but it definitely would have been better than mumble-central which we ended up with.

If you think about it, voice acting might have saved Fates’s writing too, for these professional actors would have read all that garbage and repeatedly and undoubtedly asked the writers what tone could ever describe that fucking mess. 😂

Characters have opposing traits from one conversation to another; and dramatic scenes are so ridiculous that may perfectly be read as comedic ones if not told in advance. 🙃

2 minutes ago, starburst said:

If you think about it, voice acting might have saved Fates’s writing too, for these professional actors would have read all that garbage and repeatedly and undoubtedly asked the writers what tone could ever describe that fucking mess. 😂

Characters have opposing traits from one conversation to another; and dramatic scenes are so ridiculous that may perfectly be read as comedic ones if not told in advance. 🙃

I mean if nothing else it might’ve made the localization a little better

7 hours ago, Ashe02 said:

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but for the next Fire Emblem game, I hope it won't be a remake.

Not that remakes are bad, but I would prefer something completely new than something I might have played before? And plus if we were getting a remake next, that would mean we would have to wait even more who knows how many years for a non-remake Fire Emblem game, which makes me sad. 

We already have an engine made with Three Houses, so factor that in with the reduced cost of making a remake compared to a new game and we could easily see both withing a year of each other.

1 hour ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

True and a remake could rake more money for Intsy to make a even better new game. They have the engine with 3H if they feel lazy to rake in dough a FE Blazing Sword 3HOUSES style. Plus it’s FE 30Th anniversary and FE Blazing Sword WAS the First FE in the West

Given the whole design style of Three Houses I'd be very surprised if there is a remake on the Switch that is not Genealogy of the Holy War.