What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

But they said "good" not situationally useful. He is the latter, if anything. There are so many actually good options out there, he doesnt stand out if he needs every hand holding tool in the game to make him, useful of he's lucky.

I was replying to the quote that said he's straight garbage.

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Except maybe Ronin from FE5. He's straight garbage. XD

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly, what bugs me the most about the loli dragons is that I am 99% positive that if dragons weren't a nearly extinct species in this setting, and if they still had their own culture...

...There is no way the dragon age of consent would be 18 years old. Not with their obviously stunted physical and emotional development.

Of course not. If dogs had an age of consent, it couldn't be 18, because only some small breeds could be lucky enough to reach that age, maybe.

We have Tiki to judge the aging of Archan-lisse Manaketes. Naga died in -500 AC, Shadow Dragon takes place in 605 AC. Tiki can't have been born after mommy died, so she's at least 1105 years old, and yet she's a little girl, not sure how young, but maybe 6 or 7? Awakening is ~2000 years after Marth's era, by which point Tiki is now a young adult, although what you'd say she looks like in human maturation may vary from person to person. I'd say 21 at most.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Of course not. If dogs had an age of consent, it couldn't be 18, because only some small breeds could be lucky enough to reach that age, maybe.

We have Tiki to judge the aging of Archan-lisse Manaketes. Naga died in -500 AC, Shadow Dragon takes place in 605 AC. Tiki can't have been born after mommy died, so she's at least 1105 years old, and yet she's a little girl, not sure how young, but maybe 6 or 7? Awakening is ~2000 years after Marth's era, by which point Tiki is now a young adult, although what you'd say she looks like in human maturation may vary from person to person. I'd say 21 at most.

Exactly. Like I've said elsewhere:

On 2/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, Alastor15243 said:

The problem is that Fae, Myrrh, Nowi and pre-Awakening Tiki... are not consenting adults. They are not 1000-year-olds with the bodies of children. They are 1000-year-old children.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I was replying to the quote that said he's straight garbage.

But what I was saying make sense, comparing to like 90% of the cast he's garbage. Yeah, you can make him good, but if you need to go to that extreme I wouldnt consider said unit good in the first place is all. 

And that's not to mention Wolt from FE6, or Leonardo from FE10 yet. But I guess you can consider giving them a niche as being "helpful". I can concede on that, fair enough.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But what I was saying make sense, comparing to like 90% of the cast he's garbage. Yeah, you can make him good, but if you need to go to that extreme I wouldnt consider said unit good in the first place is all. 

And that's not to mention Wolt from FE6, or Leonardo from FE10 yet. But I guess you can consider giving them a niche as being "helpful". I can concede on that, fair enough.

Well I'd say he definitely still needs a lot of buffs. Especially that base magic. A niche that you start with 0 in is quite pathetic.

speaking as a man who has raised ronan to level cap on camera i have genuine receipts

ronan is fucking straight garbage

love the cunt tho

I think Fire Emblem could do more with its dating sim aspects. Supports and tea time are fun and all but like how about we have moments where we can take our waifu/husbando on romantic strolls through town or maybe take a page out of the persona book where support ranks can actually go down a level if you choose the wrong dialogue option or whatever. I dunno I feel like FE could stand to do more with its fanservice is all. 

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I think Fire Emblem could do more with its dating sim aspects. Supports and tea time are fun and all but like how about we have moments where we can take our waifu/husbando on romantic strolls through town or maybe take a page out of the persona book where support ranks can actually go down a level if you choose the wrong dialogue option or whatever. I dunno I feel like FE could stand to do more with its fanservice is all. 

Ah yes, prioritize going full dating sim and making it a fully fleshed out mechanic rather than the gameplay and horrors of war narrative.

Perfect.

Really good... lmao.

3 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Ah yes, prioritize going full dating sim and making it a fully fleshed out mechanic rather than the gameplay and horrors of war narrative.

I mean you can do both perfectly fine just look at the persona series. My thing about fanservice is that you either go big or you home. If IS wants to continue implementing dating sim elements into their games they might as well go all in

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean you can do both perfectly fine just look at the persona series. My thing about fanservice is that you either go big or you home. If IS wants to continue implementing dating sim elements into their games they might as well go all in

Making Fire Emblem a Persona clone would be the worst thing to happen to FE. Persona works for what it is since they never gunned for a medieval esque war and the entire "conflict" isn't even in the real world. 

3 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Making Fire Emblem a Persona clone would be the worst thing to happen to FE. Persona works for what it is since they never gunned for a medieval esque war and the entire "conflict" isn't even in the real world. 

Never said it should be a persona clone. I’m just saying if you’re going to put dating sim aspects into your game don’t half-ass it

Edited by Ottservia

Just now, Ottservia said:

Never said it should be a person clone. I’m just saying if you’re going to put dating sim aspects into your game don’t half-ass it

But the "dating sim" mechanics work for what it is. The Support system entirely exists for interactions and potentially pairing up characters depending on the game. It's not a full fledged dating sim which makes sense since you're playing a game that's in the midst of a war.

Just now, Seazas said:

But the "dating sim" mechanics work for what it is. The Support system entirely exists for interactions and potentially pairing up characters depending on the game. It's not a full fledged dating sim which makes sense since you're playing a game that's in the midst of a war.

Doesn’t change the fact that I want more interactions like come on. I’m not asking for much here just maybe some added dialogue here or there or like I dunno another epilogue CG. I just want some more interactions and events I can do. If you’re gonna force me into a giant ass hub like the monetary again the least you could do is give me more shit to do.

"More to do if you have a hub?" I rather play matchmaker than be part of a match, but I'd rather drop the amor and make that something more something else. Perhaps logistical/operational/strategical management. How to do that though? Don't want to turn FE into a Tower-Defense game.

Garreg Mach would've been perfect with a beer brewing side activity, medieval monasteries have a modern reputation as glorious alehouses (but you only got a pint if you were a monk there or a traveler passing by), and Japanese monks were always happy churning out sake too.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Maybe supports going down could be a thing but that's really all I want. (Hell part of my problem with Byleth is that the game clearly never lets you be sarcastic and such when it'd risk actually seriously annoying someone, such as with Rhea, the game clearly removes your choices when it'd actually risk annoying the other character.)

I seriously doubt IS could write any sort of more dating sim aspects (which I don't want anyway) that feels like anything more than pandering rather than a genuine relationship., they'd need the Avatar to start being written like a C-RPG protagonist, which is alot more work for the Avatar than any previous game did in order for any relationship to feel genuine.

Not to mention, I'd want the hub to just be a quick, over and  done with menu (So basically imagine when you're in a village like in Echoes for  how I'd want to be.) like when you're preparing for a mission in other strategy games, rather than....whatever you call the Monestary in TH aside from "Waste of time", since it doesn't really flesh out the characters more, which is what I was hoping for (I still know nothing about Casper and I've been talking to him every chance I got and I'm 7 hours in.) or really do anything of note beyond padding.

I really hope the next game has an Avatar like Mark, in that they're just a normal person and treated like one, having everyone act like you're so mysterious and such just feels like really shallow attempts to pander to the player's ego, which is highly irritating to me. (And it's not a culture thing, Western Developed Games like Skyrim do similar methods of ego padding and it's equally annoying there.)

Also Ambush spawns that "Cheat" their movement is just as bad as real ambush spawns, Such as those guys in the Tomb in Three Houses, who spawn at the stairs but then all get to run down the hallway of in-game tiles for free in a cutscene, it's still blatantly cheating with the enemy mechanics and it's still annoying.

Edited by Samz707

I seem to have missed the Shadow Dragon discussion some pages back. I've always been a rather big critic of it. I don't think the minimalist approach is a good fit for Fire Emblem. In many cases I even think its self defeating. 

I think the whole concept of mute units goes against what Fire Emblem is supposed to be. What separates Fire Emblem from Advance wars is that Advance Wars has random soldiers while Fire Emblem has people with their own design, personality, hopes and dreams. They can't have much of that when they rarely talk. Some people even never talk aside from their death quote. It also serves as rather poor preparation for the sequel. Hardin's bond with Marth is supposed to be important but you'd never know it from playing Shadow Dragon where they only have a single conversation. Both the lore of Shadow Dragon and its sequel naturally slide Hardin in the role of Marth's second in command but he can't be that if he never does or says anything post recruitment.  

The minimalist approach also doesn't work for the villains. How can we impressed by villains who never show up for work? Medeus, Camus, Michalis and Gharnef all show up only once or perhaps twice if they are really lucky. Why am I supposed to see Michalis as the second coming of Lothe when he spends the entire war cowering inside his castle? Why am I supposed to think he's a fallen hero if he only acts as a generic evil tyrant the single time he appears on screen?

Its also rather hard to get invested in the story when its told in such a boring way. Almost all the cutscenes have Marth talk only with Malledus who isn't very interesting or Nyna who's interesting but not very charismatic. FE7 has a trio of lords with different personalities bouncing off each other but Shadow Dragon only has Marth and a really limiting set of conversation partners. 

I do like Marth but Shadow Dragon's depiction of Marth does seem to be kinda non canon. He's depicted as a bit more vengeful, mature, confidant and manly. But Shadow Dragon is notably the only game that depicts Marth like this. The original games, Heroes, Warriors and even the direct sequel of Shadow Dragon have the much more softer and sensitive Marth that he's generally depicted as. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well I'd say he definitely still needs a lot of buffs. Especially that base magic. A niche that you start with 0 in is quite pathetic.

I think they were maybe attempting to make him stand out so him and Tanya weren't too similar, and that was the result. A wonky stats archer. 

8 hours ago, Integrity said:

speaking as a man who has raised ronan to level cap on camera i have genuine receipts

ronan is fucking straight garbage

love the cunt tho

You said it better than me!

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I seem to have missed the Shadow Dragon discussion some pages back. I've always been a rather big critic of it. I don't think the minimalist approach is a good fit for Fire Emblem. In many cases I even think its self defeating. 

I think the whole concept of mute units goes against what Fire Emblem is supposed to be. What separates Fire Emblem from Advance wars is that Advance Wars has random soldiers while Fire Emblem has people with their own design, personality, hopes and dreams. They can't have much of that when they rarely talk. Some people even never talk aside from their death quote. It also serves as rather poor preparation for the sequel. Hardin's bond with Marth is supposed to be important but you'd never know it from playing Shadow Dragon where they only have a single conversation. Both the lore of Shadow Dragon and its sequel naturally slide Hardin in the role of Marth's second in command but he can't be that if he never does or says anything post recruitment.  

The minimalist approach also doesn't work for the villains. How can we impressed by villains who never show up for work? Medeus, Camus, Michalis and Gharnef all show up only once or perhaps twice if they are really lucky. Why am I supposed to see Michalis as the second coming of Lothe when he spends the entire war cowering inside his castle? Why am I supposed to think he's a fallen hero if he only acts as a generic evil tyrant the single time he appears on screen?

Its also rather hard to get invested in the story when its told in such a boring way. Almost all the cutscenes have Marth talk only with Malledus who isn't very interesting or Nyna who's interesting but not very charismatic. FE7 has a trio of lords with different personalities bouncing off each other but Shadow Dragon only has Marth and a really limiting set of conversation partners. 

I do like Marth but Shadow Dragon's depiction of Marth does seem to be kinda non canon. He's depicted as a bit more vengeful, mature, confidant and manly. But Shadow Dragon is notably the only game that depicts Marth like this. The original games, Heroes, Warriors and even the direct sequel of Shadow Dragon have the much more softer and sensitive Marth that he's generally depicted as. 

Yeah I'm kind of in agreement with this. Shadow Dragon probably does have one of the weaker stories in the series cuz there's barely any story being told, the villains don't get much screen time, and aside from characters like Caeda, Minerva, Merric, and so on, pretty much no one gets any dialogue aside from their recruitments and death quotes. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as Fates' story mind you, but the lack of...well, anything, just means that it's hard to really care about what's going on.

6 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Shadow Dragon has its charm as a one time thing and I can cut it some slack since it was Intsys' first FE remake.

New Mystery has no excuses however.

Nah, New Mystery isn't as bad about it since we do get actual support conversations to flesh out the characters (even if a large majority of them are with Kris), as well as base conversations explaining some lore and relationships as well. It's still held by an archaic structure and some bland characters mind you, but overall, it's alright compared to Shadow Dragon.

9 hours ago, Seazas said:

Perfect.

Really good... lmao.

Just cause it's a story of war and the horrors of it does not mean it needs to go full edge on us. 

I mean, geez, AM and SS were just damn depressing with how they generally have not a lick of lighter moments. I don't want to be some edgelord, but trying to commit to it only becomes annoying. 

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Just cause it's a story of war and the horrors of it does not mean it needs to go full edge on us. 

I mean, geez, AM and SS were just damn depressing with how they generally have not a lick of lighter moments. I don't want to be some edgelord, but trying to commit to it only becomes annoying. 

either it becomes edgy or not depends on the main character & villain IMO. basically all FE games is story of war and its horror.
----
my unpopular opinion would be.. Roy getting promotion when receiving the Binding Blade is fine as is...
BUT doesnt mean it has to be the only promotion. (make it his 3rd promotion and/or unique promotion for it in a remake) OR getting the Binding Blade itself not necessarily placed right before facing Zephiel

I don’t understand why people expect every character to be fleshed out and fully 3 dimensional. In the case of shadow dragon specifically. I don’t think it needs to flesh out any more of its characters. It’s very much so Marth’s story and it doesn’t aspire to be anything more than that. I think the story is fine as is. It’s a simple coming of age hero’s journey. The characters are only fleshed out as much as is necessary to get across its ideas and that’s totally fine.

25 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I don’t understand why people expect every character to be fleshed out and fully 3 dimensional. In the case of shadow dragon specifically. I don’t think it needs to flesh out any more of its characters. It’s very much so Marth’s story and it doesn’t aspire to be anything more than that. I think the story is fine as is. It’s a simple coming of age hero’s journey. The characters are only fleshed out as much as is necessary to get across its ideas and that’s totally fine.

Man_Of_Culture.txt

1 hour ago, joevar said:

BUT doesnt mean it has to be the only promotion. (make it his 3rd promotion and/or unique promotion for it in a remake) OR getting the Binding Blade itself not necessarily placed right before facing Zephiel

Yeah, that was an idea I toyed around with re; a remake fo Binding Blade. One of mine was that Roy should promote after ch. 16 into a mounted knight lord class, then maybe promote into a 3rd tier class and become a wyvern-riding type class, (since one of the themes of FE6's plot is kinda Roy being the successor of Hartmut, even though he isn't his descendant, so a wyvern might be good for pushing that theme a bit more) after 21/x. I don't mind him getting the BB when he does, though. (I really would like it to have a lot more uses than it does in the OG, though.)