What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 minute ago, joevar said:

RD sold poorly despite also sold in west, and on Nintendo Wii , which is second best selling Nintendo console of all time.

Didn't FE7 sell well enough at least? They translated Sacred Stones. (Assuming it wasn't made for the west again.)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

is it really fair to say that though?

Fe got more popular after it got Western releases, Which was mostly due to Smash brothers.

Granted I've not actually played a Kaga game yet (And Echoes technically makes a bunch of changes) but that feels like a bit of a unproven opinion, having an entire new market of English speakers is going to drum up a whole lot more sales than just being in Japanese.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Are we sure? The success of Advance Wars in the West also contributed to sending FE overseas as well.

And for a long while, Mystery and Genealogy were FE's best selling games, so it's clear he was certainly doing something right.

In all honesty, that is more or less conjecture on my part concerning what would have happened. There's no way to know for sure, but I can see that being the likely scenario.

15 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Didn't FE7 sell well enough at least? They translated Sacred Stones. (Assuming it wasn't made for the west again.)

0.9 million is more than well enough for games like this. which is why i find it weird when PoR RD keep hailed as peak FE (understandably)by enthusiast fans but sold poorly especially RD

maybe FE fans forgot to buy wii at that time, and bought PS/Xbox instead

Edited by joevar

3 minutes ago, joevar said:

0.9M is more than well enough for games like this. which is why i find it odds when PoR RD keep hailed as peak FE (understandably) but sold poorly especially RD

Those are lifelong sales. Do remember Blazing Sword got released on the Wii U eShop. Whatever sales it accumulated there would be added to that 0.9M

We'd have to see what were the sales before that to have a true gauge of that matter.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, joevar said:

0.9 million is more than well enough for games like this. which is why i find it weird when PoR RD keep hailed as peak FE (understandably)by enthusiast fans but sold poorly especially RD

maybe FE fans forgot to buy wii at that time, and bought PS/Xbox instead

I mean, the Wii wasn't exactly known for strategy games. (Or handhelds really, Strategy games tend to be a PC thing which is why it's really odd to me there's no official FE PC ports considering that's where the majority of the strategy game community is.)

On 10/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, #1 Claude Trash said:

Bonus: I hate Weight. The weaker units (in terms of Strength stat) that I want to give the stronger weapons to are the ones that are weighed down the most. Looking at you, Florina.

Florina's not from a game that uses the Strength stat for weight, though.

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

Honeymoon phase is (finally) over. I declared my disappointment for the game when people were still showering it with love and praise, now it's much more common to criticize it.

FE4 was never peak FE anyway.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

My (probably not all that) unpopular opinion is that we should distpatch of the number naming convention entirely.

I've been saying this since Fates was three games and I've never referred to a game post-Awakening by number. Spin-offs appearing and IS's own numbering being different from the fandoms reinforced this.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

My blood fucking freezes at the idea that there's a huge enough number of people who will buy any Fire Emblem game as long as they can't ever lose.

You need to stop caring so much how other people live their lives.

10 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

PC thing which is why it's really odd to me there's no official FE PC ports considering that's where the majority of the strategy game community is

first, its nintendo IP, since when they like porting their first-party IP to PC
second, you said it yourself strategy games is PC home turf, they would have to prepare to trade blows to the likes of blizzard, EA, and many other back in the days.

altho im sure pc gamer like me have warmed up to the idea. but this is the time the first point is more reinforced than before

Edited by joevar

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Not really. It's a scary thought for the future of the series to entertain the idea (which I don't necessarily believe because I don't have proof, but it was a scary thing to hear someone suggest) that there will be no financial consequences for any bad game design changes IS makes to the series, which is what such an idea would imply.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Not really. It's a scary thought for the future of the series to entertain the idea (which I don't necessarily believe because I don't have proof) that there will be no financial consequences for any bad game design changes IS makes to the series, which is what such an idea would imply.

if the idea doesnt work, they would try another different idea next time, such is FE history as far as i see it. no lingering feeling to any gameplay mechanic

Edited by joevar

7 minutes ago, Florete said:

I only really care because it's clear IS is on some level designing the games around this, if Three houses having a low cast, no extra units on the second-half of the game and some pretty terrible enemy reinforcement spawns all forcing you to heavily use turnwheel is a thing.

I don't mind the Turnwheel in Echoes the same way I don't mind Ghost Recon 1 (A realistic Tactical shooter) having the easiest diificulty literally give you infinite bullets or if say, Casual mode existed in Fire Emblem 7/6 because while those games do have a "Crutch" difficulty/mode, the game isn't designed around it, it does not feel like you're playing a lesser experience.

While Three houses has some frankly cheap enemy ambushes (Guys appearing from the doors in Chapter 5 that are only visible up to your units calves, which would have got Bernadetta killed through literally no fault of my own, as I had already moved most of my units, if not for their absurdly crap stats/me focusing on leveling up Bernie a bit to compensate for Archer weakness.), a lower unit count with no way to get more units in the second half of the game(Since even then, you can't recruit everyone in one playthrough, literally as you can't exactly get Edelgard in most routes.), Three Houses feels like it was made to force you to turnwheel while Echoes merely had it as an extra feature and still kept the revival springs from the original Gaiden for if you played without it, Three Houses does not feel like it was designed for a non-casual mode no-turnwheel playthrough, as opposed to Echoes which felt like it was.

Edited by Samz707

19 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I only really care because it's clear IS is on some level designing the games around this, if Three houses having a low cast, no extra units on the second-half of the game and some pretty terrible enemy reinforcement spawns all forcing you to heavily use turnwheel is a thing.

I don't mind the Turnwheel in Echoes the same way I don't mind Ghost Recon 1 (A realistic Tactical shooter) having the easiest diificulty literally give you infinite bullets or if say, Casual mode existed in Fire Emblem 7/6 because while those games do have a "Crutch" difficulty/mode, the game isn't designed around it, it does not feel like you're playing a lesser experience.

While Three houses has some frankly cheap enemy ambushes (Guys appearing from the doors in Chapter 5 that are only visible up to your units calves, which would have got Bernadetta killed through literally no fault of my own, as I had already moved most of my units, if not for their absurdly crap stats/me focusing on leveling up Bernie a bit to compensate for Archer weakness.), a lower unit count with no way to get more units in the second half of the game(Since even then, you can't recruit everyone in one playthrough, literally as you can't exactly get Edelgard in most routes.), Three Houses feels like it was made to force you to turnwheel while Echoes merely had it as an extra feature and still kept the revival springs from the original Gaiden for if you played without it, Three Houses does not feel like it was designed for a non-casual mode no-turnwheel playthrough, as opposed to Echoes which felt like it was.

I'm sure it's impossible to Iron Man Three Houses unless you have perfect knowledgre of the game and a lot of luck. Any lose is too Big, any lose can happen so easily.

Edited by Troykv

7 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I'm sure it's impossible to Iron Man Three Houses unless you have perfect knowledgre of the game and a lot of luck. Any lose is too Big, any lose can happen so easily.

It certainly feels like I'd have to write down all the ambush spawns. 

Meanwhile, I actually feel confident enough to Ironman FE7/Echoes sometime and that's just mostly due to me now knowing I can actually take a good few losses while a good few of my Fe7 Resets were due to getting worried the game would become impossible due to losing Units and therefore the EXP but into them, I've not actually written down/went out of my way to memorize enemy unit placements or anything, I just feel confident enough after beating them once that they're designed so that I probably won't make the game impossible on Normal (FE7) or Hard (Echoes.)

Edited by Samz707

6 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Playable casts have been getting smaller since the GBA days. Sacred Stones only has 33 playable characters (excluding Orson and post-game recruits). With each character getting more development via supports it becomes a lot more difficult to have a large cast. RD's huge cast notably don't have full support conversations, a common criticism of the game, and Fates' only does because it was designed and sold as three games.

Three Houses ambush spawns are a joke compared to what entire other games in the series do. I'm not a huge of the game but this is a criticism I just don't agree with, and it's extra ironic because the people who make the complaint about being caught off guard are the ones complaining that the games are coddling players too much.

17 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Three Houses feels like it was made to force you to turnwheel while Echoes merely had it as an extra feature and still kept the revival springs from the original Gaiden for if you played without it.

This is just my own experience, but on hard mode in TH I never felt like I was "forced" to use Divine Pulse in any kind of worse way than literally any other game in the series has given me without the option to use it.

5 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I'm sure it's impossible to Iron Man Three Houses unless you have perfect knowledgr of the game and a lot of luck. Any lose is too Big, any lose can happen so easily.

Well, I "Iron Man"d Three Houses in the sense that I never reset the game, and only Pulsed once or twice for a unit death (which wouldn't kill an Iron Man otherwise).

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Playable casts have been getting smaller since the GBA days. Sacred Stones only has 33 playable characters (excluding Orson and post-game recruits). With each character getting more development via supports it becomes a lot more difficult to have a large cast. RD's huge cast notably don't have full support conversations, a common criticism of the game, and Fates' only does because it was designed and sold as three games.

Three Houses ambush spawns are a joke compared to what entire other games in the series do. I'm not a huge of the game but this is a criticism I just don't agree with, and it's extra ironic because the people who make the complaint about being caught off guard are the ones complaining that the games are coddling players too much.

This is just my own experience, but on hard mode in TH I never felt like I was "forced" to use Divine Pulse in any kind of worse way than literally any other game in the series has given me without the option to use it.

Well, I "Iron Man"d Three Houses in the sense that I never reset the game, and only Pulsed once or twice for a unit death (which wouldn't kill an Iron Man otherwise).

We could still have "filler" characters who aren't too fleshed out, I have no problems with simple characters for the sake of havin more Units.

Again, I ended up with, due to an unfair enemy spawn, an Archer tanking two hits from dudes who spawned literally right next to her from a borderline impossible to notice set of doors due to bad prespective, thats not good design, at all.

2 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Again, I ended up with, due to an unfair enemy spawn, an Archer tanking two hits from dudes who spawned literally right next to her from a borderline impossible to notice set of doors due to bad prespective, thats not good design, at all.

I won't say it's good design. What I will say is that Turnwheel/Pulse is not the reason for it. These situations can happen in probably every FE, sometimes in much worse ways.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

It was primarily due to Awakening opening up the series to a more casual audience, broadening the appeal to players who would not have taken as much interest in the series previously.

FE12 had casual mode first and it bombed. I agree that casual mode helped save the franchise, butit was as much advertismenet as it was casual mode.

Say what you will about Awakening, but it's thanks to Awakening that FE is anywhere near as popular now as it is.

I like Awakening, though.

In Japan, perhaps. But FE as a series has always done better in Japan as well. Reaching western audiences was the primary goal as the series moved forward.

PoR did awfully in Japan, (it's not like Berwick sold well) and mediocre in NA-if Berwick were localized, (which it wasn't due to the lack of resources) it would have fairly easily outsold PoR, presumably. Regardless, both PoR and RD failed to be popular enough to actually pull a large profit, and FE12 wasn'teven localized. FE was saved by the better advertising it got from FE13. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is a fact.

No, nor did I say it was. However, when an individual is the one leading the effort, and that effort is faltering, then it is only natural to look to the top to see why that is the case.

FE4 nearly outsold path of radiance. Not path of radiance in Japan, path of radiance in general. FE3 easily outsold PoR as well. (200,000 more copies were sold.) The decline of the series majorly started at FE5/FE6 and continued to dwindle from there. Would FE be as popular as it is now if Kaga had stayed at the helm? Well, we don't know. If he'd accept casual mode, then probably. He did stop using Ambush spawns before FE did, so we can assume that it would have become more player-friendly sooner or later.

KIind of irrelevant, but I think that the reason FE11 is so minimalistic is because of how much went into RD for very little payoff, sadly.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that Kaga returning would be the best thing for the franchise. Should he ever be the head of the franchise again? I don't think so, personally. However, the man is very good at worldbuilding and making interesting games, so I think that if they could keep Kaga's chaos in check, a coalition between Kaga and IS could work very well for both parties. Kaga's worldbuilding and ideas combined with IS'Ss characters and money could turn out very well.

Edited by Benice

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

FE12 had casual mode first and it bombed. I agree that casual mode helped save the franchise, butit was as much advertismenet as it was casual mode.

I like Awakening, though.

PoR did awfully in Japan, (it's not like Berwick sold well) and mediocre in NA-if Berwick were localized, (which it wasn't due to the lack of resources) it would have fairly easily outsold PoR, presumably. Regardless, both PoR and RD failed to be popular enough to actually pull a large profit, and FE12 wasn'teven localized. FE was saved by the better advertising it got from FE13. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is a fact.

FE4 nearly outsold path of radiance. Not path of radiance in Japan, path of radiance in general. FE3 easily outsold PoR as well. (200,000 more copies were sold.) The decline of the series majorly started at FE5/FE6 and continued to dwindle from there. Would FE be as popular as it is now if Kaga had stayed at the helm? Well, we don't know. If he'd accept casual mode, then probably. He did stop using Ambush spawns before FE did, so we can assume that it would have become more player-friendly sooner or later.

KIind of irrelevant, but I think that the reason FE11 is so minimalistic is because of how much went into RD for very little payoff, sadly.

I guess my unpopular opinion is that Kaga returning would be the best thing for the franchise. Should he ever be the head of the franchise again? I don't think so, personally. However, the man is very good at worldbuilding and making interesting games, so I think that if they could keep Kaga's chaos in check, a coalition between Kaga and IS could work very well for both parties. Kaga's worldbuilding and ideas combined with IS'Ss characters and money could turn out very well.

Wasn't Berwick on the PS2? that was certainly a much more popular console than the Wii/Gamecube so it seems like it'd have a decent chance of out-selling it by default.

11 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Wasn't Berwick on the PS2? that was certainly a much more popular console than the Wii/Gamecube so it seems like it'd have a decent chance of out-selling it by default.

True, but the end result remains that Berwick was a more successful game than PoR. Neither game sold well, though.

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Because they thought people would actually use the zoomed in mode lol- That’s the real challenge play through

1 hour ago, Benice said:

returning would be the best thing for the franchise. Should he ever be the head of the franchise again? I don't think so, personally. However, the man is very good at worldbuilding and making interesting games, so I think that if they could keep Kaga's chaos in check, a coalition between Kaga and IS could work very well for both parties. Kaga's worldbuilding and ideas combined with IS'Ss characters and money could turn out very well.

Wordbuilding isn’t important enough to ever make this come to pass, though.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Because they thought people would actually use the zoomed in mode lol- That’s the real challenge play through

Wordbuilding isn’t important enough to ever make this come to pass, though.

Yeah it's literally only when the zoom in for battle happened that I even realized there were doors there.

I never thought I'd suddenly miss 2D entirely top down sprites so much.

52 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Wordbuilding isn’t important enough to ever make this come to pass, though

Worldbuildig isn't the only thing he's good at, but it's something IS is bad at.

Besides, there isn't.much of a downside to having good worldbuilding.

I am aware that Kaga coming back is a pipe dream, though.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Besides, there isn't.much of a downside to having good worldbuilding.

True but not every story needs highly detailed world building to be told well. If a story has good world building, cool. It’s not a requirement though

32 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

True but not every story needs highly detailed world building to be told well. If a story has good world building, cool. It’s not a requirement though

Well, since story seems to be the selling point of FE now, I'd like for them to go all in with that, personally.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

its relevant and reasonable, i did think like that too when playing it. when creative ideas dont work, back to basic seems like a good choice

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Playable casts have been getting smaller since the GBA days.

going for quality over quantity is the trend, and if done well enough will differentiate FE from western strategy where lost unit is replaceable with another random computer generated one