What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

51 minutes ago, Benice said:

Well, since story seems to be the selling point of FE now, I'd like for them to go all in with that, personally.

I don’t really see how that’s the case...

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

I mean, they do allocate about three-quarters of the game to flavor text. Even though I don't like that, it has some merit. If they do feel the need to have this text-heavy of a game, I'd rather see them go all in on it, personally.

44 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

The Monastery literally puts the gameplay on hold to force you to interact with characters so I'd say that's a pretty big case of it.

9 hours ago, Florete said:

You need to stop caring so much how other people live their lives.

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Not really. It's a scary thought for the future of the series to entertain the idea (which I don't necessarily believe because I don't have proof, but it was a scary thing to hear someone suggest) that there will be no financial consequences for any bad game design changes IS makes to the series, which is what such an idea would imply.

I'm not saying this is the best use of personal concern, but I agree that it is generally acceptable to be concerned with how other people live their lives. There's a lot of reasons, one is that not caring what people do is to just not care about them. That's kinda rude. The other is that people's actions do have broader effects. People who buy orbs contribute to the degradation of society and human culture, which is harmful to myself and others in various ways.

8 hours ago, Benice said:

I like Awakening, though.

I got a friend who really likes Awakening. It was his first Fire Emblem. He doesn't write long forum posts about that sort of thing so I consider his judgements more reliable than my own.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

The Monastery literally puts the gameplay on hold to force you to interact with characters so I'd say that's a pretty big case of it.

If by interact with the characters you mean teach them I would say that’s way more gameplay focused than story focused. Other than that, by using the monastery, other than maybe a couple mandatory explore sessions with mandatory quests, you’re never really forced to interact with anyone. You can just grind tournaments the whole time if you feel like it.

Edited by Sooks1016

4 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm not saying this is the best use of personal concern, but I agree that it is generally acceptable to be concerned with how other people live their lives. There's a lot of reasons, one is that not caring what people do is to just not care about them. That's kinda rude. The other is that people's actions do have broader effects. People who buy orbs contribute to the degradation of society and human culture, which is harmful to myself and others in various ways.

I didn't mean to say you shouldn't care at all how anyone other than yourself lives their life, just that "People playing a video game in a way I don't like makes my blood boil" is a bit beyond what I would consider reasonable.

However, I would sooner consider it courteous rather than rude to not be judgmental about what other people do in their lives. It doesn't mean I don't care about them as a person, it means I acknowledge they can make their own choices.

That's a major stretch on the orbs, but I'm not entirely sure if you're actually serious there.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

However, I would sooner consider it courteous rather than rude to not be judgmental about what other people do in their lives. It doesn't mean I don't care about them as a person, it means I acknowledge they can make their own choices.

That's a major stretch on the orbs, but I'm not entirely sure if you're actually serious there.

I think concern for courtesy has overridden concern for actual value and that the results of such are unanimously disastrous.

It was the most serious thing I've said in the past 69 hours.

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

you’re never really forced to interact with anyone. You can just grind tournaments the whole time if you feel like it.

if they want similar mechanic like monastery next time, just scale/tone it down, dense-packed it more, and maybe gives it variation other than 3 week study, 1 week showdown, rinse repeat,  , and im sure i will be satisfied

of course i suspect the crests is to blame school setting is mostly to blame for having really big area thats hollow (cant have school with just two small building or several tents). still baffled that you must find person A in terrace for example for support but then get telported to somewhere else (different realm actually :v ) even tho theres mostly no relevancy between place and dialogue

Edited by joevar

18 hours ago, Axie said:

yes, that's why i said he wasn't the smartest lol.

Do you really think Kaga couldn't have thought of a way to prevent resetting, if that was his intention?

his intentions are entirely at odds with how it was executed,

Based off these interviews, Kaga's intention was to create an RPG that wasn't linear and allowed for many different approaches, by adding strategy elements. Permadeath is something to increase the tension, but it doesn't mean he wanted to force everyone to handle it any one way. That's entirely at odds with Kaga's philosophy.

17 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Fair enough. Although I would still contend that his design philosophies would have hindered FE's progression and appeal as a series going forward had he remained with IS.

"But for Nintendo-made products, the baseline for the development is always that it be easy to play to the end, something “anyone can pick up and enjoy.” And I think that is a perfectly fine approach in its own right. Even if the strategy mechanics are lacking some depth, the important thing is its overall balance as a game, after all.

Actually, the first person to beat the game was a graphic designer at Nintendo, someone completely unrelated to the development. I think the selling point of Fire Emblem is that anyone, even non-gamers, can enjoy the strategy, so that made me really happy."

Edited by Baldrick

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Do you really think Kaga couldn't have thought of a way to prevent resetting, if that was his intention?

the question would be, why would he prevent people from resetting? is iron-manning even a thing back then?

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Actually, the first person to beat the game was a graphic designer at Nintendo, someone completely unrelated to the development. I think the selling point of Fire Emblem is that anyone, even non-gamers, can enjoy the strategy, so that made me really happy."

they somewhat achieve it then, with the surge of popularity FE receive now, isnt it?

who's even talking about preventing resetting by force? the point is simple: kaga didn't want people to worry about deaths so much, but the very design of it (likeable characters) makes us worry far more than he intended us to. (and therefore it makes the games harder than intended! kaga indeed didn't intend to punish people! why are we talking about preventing resets? we don't need to trip over other people's words just to defend kaga)

Edited by Axie

Well I finally saw that Fire Emblem OVA with a friend today.

It was surprisingly decent I guess? It wasn't great but it wasn't the complete trainwreck I figured it would be, since everything I heard about it was how infamously awful it was.

(Also an Armor Knight seemingly fought with only his fists, Kaga did unarmed/gauntlets first!) (Yes I know Kaga probably wasn't involved.)

The fighting was surprisingly alright (admittingly I despise the "Jumping several buildings worth in the air" style of Modern FE CGI cutscenes like Awakening/ThreeHouses/Echoes and prefer it when it actually somewhat resembles actual sword play.) even if Caeda got made a damsel in distress who barely actually fought.

Also was surprised to see both Log traps and crossbows being used, kinda surprised FE hasn't had those yet, I'd like to send down logs crashing onto my enemies and kill them that way and I'd like crossbows to be a thing in some capacity.

Edited by Samz707

- How good a unit is - is based on his final 20/20 stats. Not how useful they are progressing to the game. So like Frederick, Seth etc... will get hurt by this.

- 3 Houses, as fun as it was, it felt very lazy. Too many generic designs. Re-using map / plot element (btwn houses)

- Glen (FE8) should not have died... Should be recruitable.

- Female characters should not have more Strength than Male. What's with all these female characters have a +3 strength added to their default stats.

- 3 Houses - All big male (Dedue, Raphael, Balthus) are all weak (relative to other char) when they shouldn't be.

- 3 Houses - Everyone can be S supported with each others. We don't need kids.

Edited by Ryuke

1 minute ago, Ryuke said:

- How good a unit is - is based on his final 20/20 stats. Not how useful they are progressing to the game. So like Frederick, Seth etc... will get hurt by this.

Um... how? The whole point of units is to be useful, and unless you’re going extremely out of your way, very few units in most fire emblems without grinding should hit 20/20.

25 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

When´s the last time you looked at a tier list? I´m fairly certain that both Frederick and Seth, though to differing degree are regarded rather highly - not knowing Sacred Stones myself and remembering very little from Awakening (isn´t Seth basically the godking unit of his game?).

25 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

- 3 Houses - All big male (Dedue, Raphael, Balthus) are all weak (relative to other char) when they shouldn't be.

They fulfill their role though? Tanks be tanking and that they do - on any difficulty other than Maddening. I do not think a units gameplay performance and a units combat strength according to story need to align. Not to mention the relative obscurity of the Crests effects, presuming your comment is directed towards characters such as Edelgard and Hilda?

8 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

When´s the last time you looked at a tier list? I´m fairly certain that both Frederick and Seth, though to differing degree are regarded rather highly - not knowing Sacred Stones myself and remembering very little from Awakening (isn´t Seth basically the godking unit of his game?).

Yes, yes he is. I’ve heard he can solo the game, although I’ve only played a few chapters of Sacred Stones.

36 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

- Glen (FE8) should not have died... Should be recruitable.

Gale moment.

- Female characters should not have more Strength than Male. What's with all these female characters have a +3 strength added to their default stats.

Is that supposed to be sexism? I mean you have me, and then you have female bodybuilders, so it’s absolutely fine. Like should Effie be weaker than Hayato?

- 3 Houses - Everyone can be S supported with each others. We don't need kids.

I’m confused as to what you’re trying to say here. There aren’t kids in fe3h and the only S support is reserved for the avatar and has no effect on the gameplay unless you buy it back in new game plus.

2 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

They fulfill their role though? Tanks be tanking and that they do - on any difficulty other than Maddening. I do not think a units gameplay performance and a units combat strength according to story need to align. Not to mention the relative obscurity of the Crests effects, presuming your comment is directed towards characters such as Edelgard and Hilda?

But they are weak tank - it doesn't harm giving them a little more dex/res. They are already getting doubled. If you look at tier lists, everyone put them in the low and rightfully so. 

Yes, Frederick and Seth can solo the game iirc. But for players that enjoy doing a max/max run. They will fall behind.

1 hour ago, Sooks1016 said:

Is that supposed to be sexism? I mean you have me, and then you have female bodybuilders, so it’s absolutely fine. Like should Effie be weaker than Hayato?

I’m confused as to what you’re trying to say here. There aren’t kids in fe3h and the only S support is reserved for the avatar and has no effect on the gameplay unless you buy it back in new game plus.

No. Effie is stronger than Hayato is fine. But Effie/Charlotte stronger than Benny, who's literally the size of a bear. Yeah hard to believe. The older games pre awakening had it as the female will have lower strength/def cap but higher skill/speed/res.

My bad. I meant A support. Or rather the DLC characters need more supports. Jeritza do not have a support convo with Edelgard when fans wanted that

i hate committing gameplay to some remnant of realism in a game that isn't realistic. it's why we were stuck with constitution/weight for 4 games in a row. if it fits the gameplay design, a dorcas can have lyn stats and it's fine, though it is easier to just design characters around their stats i guess. that's more of an old school worry, however.

Edited by Axie

To be honest, in a setting where Random Village Boy #12 will always out-stat the veteran soldier in the prime of his years after a month in-universe, I'm not too concerned if optics and stats don't perfectly align all the time.

(I'm all for more buff, muscular female designs, though)

2 hours ago, Ryuke said:

How good a unit is - is based on his final 20/20 stats. Not how useful they are progressing to the game. So like Frederick, Seth etc... will get hurt by this.

The problem with this is that the lategame is usually easier than the earlygame. You'll generally have more really good prepromotes, (Duessel, Perceval, Reina, etc.) as well as your other units being trained. The earlygame is generally tougher, so the higher bases there help more than maxed stats in endgame. (Like, Amelia is really bad and she'll cap quite a few stats.)

FE6 Marcus is much, much better than, say, Allance, (At least I consider him to be better than them,) because Marcus will carry the team for quite a while when everyone else is quite weak, whereas Allance will promote at what is in my opinion the easiest part of the game. Plus, both Alan and Lance will be surpassed by Percival once he joins, so one of them will be your best cavalier for about three chapters that are fairly easy anyways.

2 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Gale moment.

I think Gale was supposed to be playable initially, actually. He has a support Affinity, (IIRC it's Ice) whereas most don't.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think Gale was supposed to be playable initially, actually. He has a support Affinity, (IIRC it's Ice) whereas most don't.

Oh me too.

They should have stuck to that though. He is a terribly weak Camus.

3 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Well I finally saw that Fire Emblem OVA with a friend today.

It was surprisingly decent I guess? It wasn't great but it wasn't the complete trainwreck I figured it would be, since everything I heard about it was how infamously awful it was.

(Also an Armor Knight seemingly fought with only his fists, Kaga did unarmed/gauntlets first!) (Yes I know Kaga probably wasn't involved.)

The fighting was surprisingly alright (admittingly I despise the "Jumping several buildings worth in the air" style of Modern FE CGI cutscenes like Awakening/ThreeHouses/Echoes and prefer it when it actually somewhat resembles actual sword play.) even if Caeda got made a damsel in distress who barely actually fought.

Also was surprised to see both Log traps and crossbows being used, kinda surprised FE hasn't had those yet, I'd like to send down logs crashing onto my enemies and kill them that way and I'd like crossbows to be a thing in some capacity.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I actually liked the FE OVA quite a bit, and wanted more when I was done with it.

No, it's not the best quality of anime, but it leads me to believe that FE would work quite well if given time and care in a new anime.

If nothing else, it shows potential of what could be made in anime from FE's stories, in my personal opinion.

17 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

They should have stuck to that though. He is a terribly weak Camus.

I quite like him, personally. I would personally prefer him to be playable, but I don't mind his role.

12 minutes ago, Benice said:

I quite like him, personally. I would personally prefer him to be playable, but I don't mind his role.

I have like no reason to care about him other than the fact that the the second best unit likes him.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

I have like no reason to care about him other than the fact that the the second best unit likes him.

tbf this is the case for basically every Camus in the series. I guess I'm just used to Selena-tier Camuses...