What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

2 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I thought Kris is disliked because every character in the game overly appreciates them?

as opposed to robin, corrin and byleth? lol

kris has downright tame characterisation in comparison and a bigger deal is made mostly because it's a remake and we know exactly how things were without them and whose lines they are stealing, but exactly the fact they are ultimately disposable makes them much more palatable to me. after kris, avatars have been getting progressively worse. i shudder to think what will come post-byleth.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

In 3H most of the students have power over Byleth considering they are royals or high ranking nobles

They do still call them "professor" all the time, which does really suggest that the relationship isn't equal, though. Plus, IIRC at the end of every route, Byleth becomes more powerful/influential than almost all of his students barring the main lord, because in every route except for one,

Spoiler

They become the ruler of all of Fodlan, (VW, SS) or the pope, (AM) which is also super powerful and influential.

.And, well, there's also the fact that their story-based promotion thing makes them kind of a cut above the rest in terms of importance, barring CF's ending, I guess.

I don't think anyone who frequents this thread speaks Japanese, (And I can't find the supports in Japanese so I can't google translate) but I wonder what pronoun the students address Byleth with.

1 hour ago, ping said:

'm still largely in the dark about how 3H develops past the point where Deltre stopped his LP twice, so take this with a grain of salt, but I honestly didn't like at all how Bylith acts (and is treated) like they're one of the pupils in most interactions - it seems to me that the writers wanted to have the cake (since you're the teacher, there's an in-universe reason why you can make the characters take certain classes) and eat it (gotta have your waifu/husbando and wacky anime interactions).

I'm only at the penultimate chapter of VW, (Golden Deer) right now, but so far I can soundly say that this remains the case throughout the story.

While I do think that it's creepy for a teacher to marry their students, this ain't real life and since nobody in-universe seems to think it's weird, I guess it's OK. Maybe. I dunno. It's still really weird. And even though the Teatime may be super creepy, it's still better than Fates' equivalent where you pet people's faces. And the students don't call you "Professor" in the S-supports, thank heavens.

As for Byleth themselves, I feel that they're your standard FE avatar. No better, (Okay, he's better than Mark, but so is everyone else) or worse than the other ones. I don't like how almost all of the students liked Byleth so much from the get-go, but this is true for every FE avatar as well. But he is plot-relevant, so that's a nice bonus.

My unpopular FE opinion which may or may be unpopular.

FE8, I think Amelia is a good unit and Seth should be perma-benched or on purposely killed as soon as possible for a better balanced game.

Edited by Shrow

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I don't think anyone who frequents this thread speaks Japanese, (And I can't find the supports in Japanese so I can't google translate) but I wonder what pronoun the students address Byleth with.

They call them “Sensei” the general honorific used when referring to a teacher or mentor of some kind. Also whenever possible don’t use machine translators for Japanese. It’s a very context sensitive language which machine translators can’t really pick up on so the translation is more often than not less than accurate.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

They call them “Sensei” the general honorific used when referring to a teacher or mentor of some kind. Also whenever possible don’t use machine translators for Japanese. It’s a very context sensitive language which machine translators can’t really pick up on so the translation is more often than not less than accurate.

Ah, I see. Thanks! 

A shame that google translate doesn't really work. I mean, I didn't really expect it to, but it still is a bit of a bummer.

3 hours ago, Shrow said:

My unpopular FE opinion which may or may be unpopular.

FE8, I think Amelia is a good unit and Seth should be perma-benched or on purposely killed as soon as possible for a better balanced game.

The best way to play Sacred Stones is with Seth perpetually at the coffee maker, far away from any weapons.

17 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Why not?

A friendly teacher is better than a teacher on a pedestal

Yeah this sums it up pretty well.

17 hours ago, ping said:

A relationship between teacher and student is never on equal footing, regardless of age differences. A teacher is given a great deal of authority over their pupils and honestly, a teacher who tries to act like this isn't the case is either naive or deceptive.

There's a difference between being a friendly teacher and being treated the same as the students, I hesitate to use the word equal as that applies a status when it's less a case of status and more a case of different roles. Age isn't really a factor in it either. I've taught adults much older than me, but the same dividing line exists.

15 hours ago, Benice said:

They do still call them "professor" all the time, which does really suggest that the relationship isn't equal, though. Plus, IIRC at the end of every route, Byleth becomes more powerful/influential than almost all of his students barring the main lord, because in every route except for one,

Reveal hidden contents

They become the ruler of all of Fodlan, (VW, SS) or the pope, (AM) which is also super powerful and influential.

.And, well, there's also the fact that their story-based promotion thing makes them kind of a cut above the rest in terms of importance, barring CF's ending, I guess.

I'm only at the penultimate chapter of VW, (Golden Deer) right now, but so far I can soundly say that this remains the case throughout the story.

While I do think that it's creepy for a teacher to marry their students, this ain't real life and since nobody in-universe seems to think it's weird, I guess it's OK. Maybe. I dunno. It's still really weird. And even though the Teatime may be super creepy, it's still better than Fates' equivalent where you pet people's faces. And the students don't call you "Professor" in the S-supports, thank heavens.

As for Byleth themselves, I feel that they're your standard FE avatar. No better, (Okay, he's better than Mark, but so is everyone else) or worse than the other ones. I don't like how almost all of the students liked Byleth so much from the get-go, but this is true for every FE avatar as well. But he is plot-relevant, so that's a nice bonus.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Sensei (assuming that's what you mean by pronoun). I'd also point out that by that end of the game when Byleth does potentially marry a character, they aren't students and teachers any more (even if the characters still keep calling Byleth Professor, which is probably more to do with Byleth's name being changeable and voice acting being a thing rather than anything else). Starting from the time skip the relationship does change and the game reflects that by moving from a class room to more like a war room set up when distributing skill points. Stating from the time skip the students are also able to provide Faculty Training to Byleth (under some different name I can't recall now I think) showing how it's now a back and forth tutoring relationship rather than a teacher student. So it's more of an Emmanuel Macron situation than a straight teacher student thing.

Edited by Jotari

On 11/19/2020 at 3:36 AM, Shrimperor said:

FE (even back in the Kaga days) has problems writing main/major Female characters in general. Camilla is a different level of low of course.

both the design and personality are setting a new record of low

9 hours ago, Benice said:

real life? theres real life teacher marrying student... heck i have a relative that does that. BUT its not old teacher with high school kid. its a new teacher at university with his undergraduate univ student. both the physical and mental age didnt have big gap. if no one tells me, i wouldnt know they were teacher and student at first since theres no awkwardness at all. So basically its the same situation with Part 2 of 3H, where byleth become stagnant in whatever-it-is for 5 year while veryone progressing in 5 year both in physical and mental capacity.

also lets face it being called professor is like a title placeholder for byleth, since Byleth (CMIIW) dont have any certification or qualification other than "they have experiences" or "they can teach" to get called that. its not similar at all to professor in real life, where its almost atrocious in campus life for student to test / questioning what a real Professor could know.

Byleth roles feels more like a Home tutor (but in campus) rather than actual teacher

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Starting from the time skip the relationship does change and the game reflects that by moving from a class room to more like a war room set up when distributing skill points. Stating from the time skip the students are also able to provide Faculty Training to Byleth (under some different name I can't recall now I think) showing how it's now a back and forth tutoring relationship rather than a teacher student. So it's more of an Emmanuel Macron situation than a straight teacher student thing.

That does change things and I shall henceforth not bitch about the potential romances between Byleth and their former students. At least not specifically since I still dislike the "This is YOU marrying your waifu/husbando" that Awakening introduced to the series. ;):

There's a difference between being a friendly teacher and being treated the same as the students, I hesitate to use the word equal as that applies a status when it's less a case of status and more a case of different roles. Age isn't really a factor in it either. I've thought adults much older than me, but the same dividing line exists.

That's fair.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Shrimperor said:

FE (even back in the Kaga days) has problems writing main/major Female characters in general. Camilla is a different level of low of course.

Honestly, Lyn and Lucina are probably the only ones I really like when it comes to female lords. Eirika has basically no emotions, intelligence, or emotional intelligence, Celica was turned into a titanic dumbass in the remake and barely had enough lines to be called a character in the original, the female versions of the avatars don't really count, and Micaiah... Micaiah's issues are hard to describe, but her side of the story is just way too rushed to be well-executed.

But I will say that I don't consider Edelgard worse than the two male 3H lords, even if I don't like her. I just don't like any of them.

7 hours ago, ping said:

That does change things and I shall henceforth not bitch about the potential romances between Byleth and their former students. At least not specifically since I still dislike the "This is YOU marrying your waifu/husbando" that Awakening introduced to the series. ;):

That's fair.

Hey bitch all you want if feel like it. Emmanuel Macron isn't exactly uncontroversial on this issue.

Hey bitch all you want if feel like it. Emmanuel Macron isn't exactly uncontroversial on this issue.

eeeeeeey this sounds like an indictment against a French person. What did Macron do? This may be messaged to me if you'd prefer.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He married his school teacher 😀 Like if he was Lorenz and his wife was Manuela.

If any character in Three Houses were French, it'd be Lorenz XD of course if we're bitching about morals here Macron isn't really the one trespassing as much as his former teacher is, but he is the more public figure to reference.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Shrimperor said:

Yet I'd argue the female lords are better written than the male lords. 

Also, Micaiah is a much better character than Ike is my unpopular opinion. I haven't seen any type of analysis that convinces me otherwise. 

Edited by Icelerate

40 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

And I would agree with that in most cases. More often than not, male FE lords fall into the same archetype that gets recycled into a new character: strong, confident, noble, kind, heroic, etc. Fairly generic, tbh.

But the female protagonists tend to be more varied and interesting, such as Miccy, Lyn, Elincia, Lucina, Edelgard, etc.

The only male lords I’d say are right up there with the best written female lords are Marth and Dimitri, who defy the trend by (in the case of Marth) being an insecure, soft spoken individual, or being (in the case of Dimitri) a very broken, mentally unstable individual.

My unpopular opinion

Lower difficulty levels in FE still can be fun for veteran FE players as a way to mess around and try suboptimal builds and strategies. Not every build has to be suited for Lunatic/Maddening/Hard. They just have to be fun to set up and interesting to use.

4 hours ago, Icelerate said:

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

And I would agree with that in most cases. More often than not, male FE lords fall into the same archetype that gets recycled into a new character: strong, confident, noble, kind, heroic, etc. Fairly generic, tbh.

But the female protagonists tend to be more varied and interesting, such as Miccy, Lyn, Elincia, Lucina, Edelgard, etc.

My take is that female FE protagonists tend to be more interesting characters, but constantly get shoved aside by a male protagonist, damselified, or both.

• I don't mind Lyn as a character, but in the main story, she is no main character and it's not even close. Sure, she gets her token appearances, but realistically, she's less important to the story than Eliwood (duh), Hector, Ninils, Oswin, Elidad (what was his name again?), or Uther.
  • Eirika does manage to retain her role as co-protagonist, but struggles to make a better impression than being "the stupid twin", mostly because Ephraim's supposed flaw (overconfidence) doesn't really come across as a flaw when he's constantly succeeding.
  • Micaiah gets her body taken over by Yune. That's all to her in part 4, honestly.
  • Celica, apart from looking really, really fucking stupid because of how cartoony Jedah acts, gets demoted to the damsel in distress that Alm has to rescue. Notably, in the epilogue, she becomes the first queen of Valentia in marrying Alm. I guess being the princess of one half of Valentia doesn't count for too much?
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the princes in Fates are universally more competent than the princesses, right? Maybe with Hinoka and Takumi being an exception, but then again, Hinoka is about as important to the plot as Lyn was (outside of Lyn Mode).

3 hours ago, ping said:

My take is that female FE protagonists tend to be more interesting characters, but constantly get shoved aside by a male protagonist, damselified, or both.

• I don't mind Lyn as a character, but in the main story, she is no main character and it's not even close. Sure, she gets her token appearances, but realistically, she's less important to the story than Eliwood (duh), Hector, Ninils, Oswin, Elidad (what was his name again?), or Uther.
  • Eirika does manage to retain her role as co-protagonist, but struggles to make a better impression than being "the stupid twin", mostly because Ephraim's supposed flaw (overconfidence) doesn't really come across as a flaw when he's constantly succeeding.
  • Micaiah gets her body taken over by Yune. That's all to her in part 4, honestly.
  • Celica, apart from looking really, really fucking stupid because of how cartoony Jedah acts, gets demoted to the damsel in distress that Alm has to rescue. Notably, in the epilogue, she becomes the first queen of Valentia in marrying Alm. I guess being the princess of one half of Valentia doesn't count for too much?
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the princes in Fates are universally more competent than the princesses, right? Maybe with Hinoka and Takumi being an exception, but then again, Hinoka is about as important to the plot as Lyn was (outside of Lyn Mode).

Fates Princess don't even get prf weapons smh. Guess Ranjito and Fujin Yumi are sexist. Though Brynhildr isn't so sexist that it'd turn down Forest in Heirs of Fates.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, ping said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the princes in Fates are universally more competent than the princesses, right? Maybe with Hinoka and Takumi being an exception, but then again, Hinoka is about as important to the plot as Lyn was (outside of Lyn Mode).

Fates' horrible treatment of its princesses relative to their brothers would very likely be a more common criticism of the game's writing if there wasn't already so much more wrong with it. Even Azura often gets sidelined for Xander and Ryoma.

Fates aside, I do agree with the stance that female FE lords, while not perfect, are typically much better written than people give them credit for. Celica especially. But maybe it's because she's next to Alm that she looks good to me.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

The only male lords I’d say are right up there with the best written female lords are Marth and Dimitri, who defy the trend by (in the case of Marth) being an insecure, soft spoken individual

Except thats basically Roy too, and Leif, and you could say Seliph to an extent, and Eliwood. Marth is to me archetypal of about half of the males lords, albeit that percentage is now in decline thank goodness.

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Also, Micaiah is a much better character than Ike is my unpopular opinion. I haven't seen any type of analysis that convinces me otherwise. 

She's certainly more interesting. Ike is great but pretty conventional. 

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Except thats basically Roy too, and Leif, and you could say Seliph to an extent, and Eliwood. Marth is to me archetypal of about half of the males lords, albeit that percentage is now in decline thank goodness.

Has Roy ever been insecure? Even Eliwood had little insecurity in him. 

But it makes sense why Seliph and Leif would bear similarities, given that they are all Kaga's characters.