What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 hour ago, joevar said:
8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

just to be sure, this is not directed towards my initial opinion yes? no? please kindly confirm or deny it

Yes and no

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yes and no

hahaa, cant help but laughing at this... you really like to make things more complicated than necessary. maybe someone actually take joy in shooting down other people opinion and argument afterall

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I feel like looking at stories as complex vs simple is missing the point. Storytelling in it of itself is a complex art form on its own. Even simple stories can have deep and interconnecting thematic conflicts that span throughout the entire story. Awakening and PoR are relatively simple stories when you get right down to it but that doesn’t mean they can’t have depth or complexities to the conflicts that make them up. I feel like people far too often look at individual elements in a story too much in a vacuum rather than how each aspect of the story(world building, conflicts, characters, etc.) fit together as a whole cause every story no matter how simple does have something to say. It’s the little nuances that make up that story which give it depth and complexity. What may seem like a simple “good vs evil” plot at first may have far more going on beneath the surface when you break it down. 

since there's a yes. i'll respond accordingly

i didnt discuss about simple and complex. didnt have even one word of it in it. also its not in vacuum or commenting single thing devoid of other things. its about story theme (good vs evil) with relation to gameplay. ofc a theme can be both simple and complex depend on many many many factors. mind you, im not opposed in complex story as a whole. but in the context of fire emblem story and gameplay flow.

FE6 example by glitchwarrior and murozaki describe what i express best, zephiel as villain have background, reason, or like you say, depth. to his character. but does it make any less evil ? i would answer no. Zephiel wants genocide(yes, he didnt say this, but its going toward that) thats evil clear as day as humanity concerned. compared to maybe Edelgard who people criticize for being a dictator but ultimately blurred when discussed

in other words when its more clear, it can avoid tripping itself over

No idea what topic is being debated at present, and I don't want to know.

Thracia is more of a Gaiden then Gaiden is.

Gaiden (or SoV) can stand on it's own as a fully fleshed out story.

Thracia,  meanwhile, is sandwiched between several chapters in GotHW, and makes significantly more since if you've played GotHW beforehand.

2 hours ago, L3xandr3 said:

No idea what topic is being debated at present, and I don't want to know.

Thracia is more of a Gaiden then Gaiden is.

Gaiden (or SoV) can stand on it's own as a fully fleshed out story.

Thracia,  meanwhile, is sandwiched between several chapters in GotHW, and makes significantly more since if you've played GotHW beforehand.

Bouncing off this a little, I really don't like that Gaiden is set in the same world as Archanea. I'd rather the cameos from other characters were left completely unaddressed or later retconned as Outrealm shenanigans rather than it physically existing in proximity to Archanea. Because Camus's mid ocean journey taking him from Western Archanea to Western Valentia and then subsequent rise to general is absolutely ridiculous in the time frame established. Now granted this is more Mystery of the Emblem's fault for creating a time frame in which he had only a year to accomplish all this, and to a lesser extent Awakening for establishing Valentia as a full sized continent instead of the remote island it was initially described as, but it's still a thing and it still bothers me to no end.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, Gaiden was Gaiden since it's literally a story that happened on the side of Archanea's.

but you wont even know theres archanea aside from three sister mentioning it (did they?) or knowledge of FE as general

and my friend who play SoV didnt even go to that last dungeon post-endgame. so they wouldnt know its actually neighbor

Edited by joevar

5 minutes ago, joevar said:

but you wont even know theres archanea aside from three sister mentioning it (did they?) or knowledge of FE as general

Yes the Pegasus sisters mention Archanea when talking to them on the map. They even confirm its to the east, so Awakening paid at least a little bit of attention to Gaiden when making Valm. Archanea is also mentioned in one of their death quotes and endings. Which is a bit funny since they never make any reference to Macedonia, the place they're actually from. Especially weird when Archanea is a country in their continent. Be a bit like a Canadian going around telling everyone they're from America. Not wrong but why are you saying it like that?

5 minutes ago, joevar said:

and my friend who play SoV didnt even go to that last dungeon post-endgame. so they wouldnt know its actually neighbor

That's kinda the point. A side story isn't obliged to do callbacks to the parent story, since the whole point is that it's... to the side. Not big ones at least. Or mandatory.

They do. If you bother to talk to them in Zofia Harbor is the first time you're told of Archanea, and that Valentia is to the west of it. That was there even back in Gaiden. Though Valentia was a "remote island", not a full-blown continent like Archanea.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Especially weird when Archanea is a country in their continent. Be a bit like a Canadian going around telling everyone they're from America. Not wrong but why are you saying it like that?

LoL, your example is spot on. that part also makes me chuckle and confused a bit.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Valentia was a "remote island", not a full-blown continent like Archanea.

but now it evolved into one. awakening to blame??

Edited by joevar

3 minutes ago, joevar said:

but now it evolved into one. awakening to blame??

Not quite. The Complete already depicts it as quite large and close to Archanea:

1000?cb=20120901044048

And... east of it... maybe Palla said Weast instead.

But yes, at some point they made Valentia much bigger than what it was.

23 minutes ago, joevar said:

Your friend is cool.

50 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not quite. The Complete already depicts it as quite large and close to Archanea:

1000?cb=20120901044048

And... east of it... maybe Palla said Weast instead.

But yes, at some point they made Valentia much bigger than what it was.

Image seems to be broken there, which is a shame as I'm eager to see it.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Image seems to be broken there, which is a shame as I'm eager to see it.

Put it on its own tab and refresh. Should be visible then.

Also, the picture was still visible even in your quote, but now it's broken. ... Did you broke the image?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Put it on its own tab and refresh. Should be visible then.

Also, the picture was still visible even in your quote, but now it's broken. ... Did you broke the image?

That doesn't work either...did...did I break the image? Is this a super power I have? How can I use this? Should I break internet images for good or for ill? So many questions face me right now.

EDIT: Taking away everything the url after .jpg got it working for me. Valentia is indeed in the wrong place. Looks like they paid even less attention than the Awakening writers.

Edited by Jotari

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

EDIT: Taking away everything the url after .jpg got it working for me. Valentia is indeed in the wrong place. Looks like they paid even less attention than the Awakening writers.

Maybe knowing what the text says would help determine that.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

What do you mean?

Because the text likely is a description about the two lands in regards to each other. I see already several mentions to Archanea and Valentia in the text. Knowing what it says could determined if they were disregarding things when making the image, or not.

Because the text likely is a description about the two lands in regards to each other. I see already several mentions to Archanea and Valentia in the text. Knowing what it says could determined if they were disregarding things when making the image, or not.

I've already mentioned what they said? Do you mean the original Japanese script? Here's the English translation word for word though.

Palla:     We came from Archanea, a continent to the far east.

And the same line in the English translation of Shadows of Valentia.

Palla: Oh, my. Are you the priestess Celica? The one who defeated the dread pirates? This entire harbor’s awash with talk of it. You must be very strong. I am Palla. I hail from Archanea, to the east. If I might ask, did you happen to see a young girl in the lair of those pirates? …No? Alas. Then she was taken elsewhere…

If you want I guess I could go searching for the original Japanese text for Gaiden, but I doubt it's different.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I've already mentioned what they said? Do you mean the original Japanese script? Here's the English translation word for word though.

Palla:     We came from Archanea, a continent to the far east.

And the same line in the English translation of Shadows of Valentia.

Palla: Oh, my. Are you the priestess Celica? The one who defeated the dread pirates? This entire harbor’s awash with talk of it. You must be very strong. I am Palla. I hail from Archanea, to the east. If I might ask, did you happen to see a young girl in the lair of those pirates? …No? Alas. Then she was taken elsewhere…

If you want I guess I could go searching for the original Japanese text for Gaiden, but I doubt it's different.

The text in the image. Or did you missed the square of text by the southeast corner of the picture?

55 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The text in the image. Or did you missed the square of text by the southeast corner of the picture?

AH. You're talking about the image. I thought you were talking about Gaiden. Will fortunately my partner speaks Japanese and I called her over to take a look at the text. She says it is saying Akaneia is in the east (in the third paragraph), which is a bit bizarre as the picture itself shows the complete opposite. Trying to use a text to image translator gave both results depending on how the phone was angled.

Edited by Jotari

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

AH. You're talking about the image. I thought you were talking about Gaiden. Will fortunately my partner speaks Japanese and I called her over to take a look at the text. She says it is saying Akaneia is in the east (in the third paragraph), which is a bit bizarre as the picture itself shows the complete opposite. Trying to use a text to image translator gave both results depending on how the phone was angled.

How strange. So that means whoever made the picture is the one who got it wrong. I'd assume both picture and text were sent separately and whoever printed them together didn't bother to voice the error or it just simply was overlooked. Hard to say.

2 minutes ago, ping said:

Maybe North is downward on that map?

The continents would be flipped accordingly if that were the case. Since it is well established in both continents how they're positioned on the North-South axis.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The continents would be flipped accordingly if that were the case. Since it is well established in both continents how they're positioned on the North-South axis.

I honestly didn't remember any cardinal directions mentioned in the games, but that's just not a very noteworthy thing to remember when playing the games, so I'm willing to believe that. I was just hoping that there's a better explaination than "silly mistake". ;):

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Bouncing off this a little, I really don't like that Gaiden is set in the same world as Archanea. I'd rather the cameos from other characters were left completely unaddressed or later retconned as Outrealm shenanigans rather than it physically existing in proximity to Archanea. Because Camus's mid ocean journey taking him from Western Archanea to Western Valentia and then subsequent rise to general is absolutely ridiculous in the time frame established. Now granted this is more Mystery of the Emblem's fault for creating a time frame in which he had only a year to accomplish all this, and to a lesser extent Awakening for establishing Valentia as a full sized continent instead of the remote island it was initially described as, but it's still a thing and it still bothers me to no end.

Funny enough, a friend of mine actually joked how Valentia isn't much of a continent considering how the game somewhat gives you a time-frame of how long it takes to traverse it. (since the game has in-game dates.)

Wasn't aware it was actually a retcon.

Personally I don't mind the little cameos, granted I'm very much against the Outrealm stuff.