What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Agree 100%.Jeralt didn’t make sad like it should.Jeralt death to me was basically queen Mikoto without boobs and dick kinda death.I Byleth were just silent without being an avatar.Someone who is quiet and passive becoming slowly more talkative I would relate but I can’t.Take the avatar Intys or make them random village that are non essential but a cool addition.It takes immersion when the teacher is getting stuffed explained to him while the students says that they are amazing as a teacher.I didn’t do shit guys. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*put's up the flame shield* Three houses is an unfinished mess of a game that really is not that good. You could argue that it's worth it for the base game, but the dlc is not worth it. Theirs's also the fact that it's only enjoyable on your first or maybe second playthrough but even then there are better fire emblem games out there that are actually worth replaying so your honestly better off just watching the game from a let's player or something. 

20 minutes ago, The Moon Mage said:

*put's up the flame shield* Three houses is an unfinished mess of a game that really is not that good. You could argue that it's worth it for the base game, but the dlc is not worth it. Theirs's also the fact that it's only enjoyable on your first or maybe second playthrough but even then there are better fire emblem games out there that are actually worth replaying so your honestly better off just watching the game from a let's player or something. 

You’re right and you should say it louder

On 1/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, NaotoUzumaki said:

Agree 100%.Jeralt didn’t make sad like it should.Jeralt death to me was basically queen Mikoto without boobs and dick kinda death.I Byleth were just silent without being an avatar.Someone who is quiet and passive becoming slowly more talkative I would relate but I can’t.Take the avatar Intys or make them random village that are non essential but a cool addition.It takes immersion when the teacher is getting stuffed explained to him while the students says that they are amazing as a teacher.I didn’t do shit guys. 

Silence isn't what made the scene. It was the fact that Byleth, who has actively been almost emotionless the entire time and only recently started showing emotion, to cry at Jeralt dying is the thing about this scene. 

Should Jeralt have gotten more development? Sure. But the scene isn't bad because the effects are still felt, especially in the aftermath, where everyone is affected and Byleth is in a slump the entire time. 

Even though everyone seems to have given up on spoilering TH stuff, I'll spoil this comment for the benefit of anyone who hasn't yet played it. And also spoilers for most FEs.

Spoiler

Is it unpopular to think that Jeralt's death was the worst Dad Death in the series? I haven't played FE1 or 3, but every other game did it better, with Genealogy having Sigurd's father die in Sigurd's arms, as well as the Belhalla massacre, FE5 being basically all about vengeance, FE7 making Elbert's death actually good, Sacred Stones' frequent mentions of Fado and the impact it has on Eirika's character, FE9 establishing a strong relationship with Ike's dad, FE11's prologue, Fates' having it be at least relevant to the plot, SoV having an elaborate sequence that's been built up for a long time...Whereas in Three Houses, the death just kinda happens with no buildup or reason that it should happen. Plus the fact that Byleth is established not to care about Jeralt. The death is sort of forgotten after the the next chapter as well. The death happens only to push forwards ONE map, and that's it, since Jeralt was irrelevant to the plot. In my opinion, it was done really badly.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Even though everyone seems to have given up on spoilering TH stuff, I'll spoil this comment for the benefit of anyone who hasn't yet played it. And also spoilers for most FEs.

Hide contents

Is it unpopular to think that Jeralt's death was the worst Dad Death in the series? I haven't played FE1 or 3, but every other game did it better, with Genealogy having Sigurd's father die in Sigurd's arms, as well as the Belhalla massacre, FE5 being basically all about vengeance, FE7 making Elbert's death actually good, Sacred Stones' frequent mentions of Fado and the impact it has on Eirika's character, FE9 establishing a strong relationship with Ike's dad, FE11's prologue, Fates' having it be at least relevant to the plot, SoV having an elaborate sequence that's been built up for a long time...Whereas in Three Houses, the death just kinda happens with no buildup or reason that it should happen. Plus the fact that Byleth is established not to care about Jeralt. The death is sort of forgotten after the the next chapter as well. The death happens only to push forwards ONE map, and that's it, since Jeralt was irrelevant to the plot. In my opinion, it was done really badly.

I’d argue that Rudolf’s death is worse actually. At least Jeralt’s death is thematically relevant to Byleth’s character and stays consistent with everything established about the arc they undergo. Rudolf’s death just kinda happens with very little thematic build up. Like Rudolf’s death makes very little sense to happen at all given Alm’s character arc up until that point or at the very least it being framed as something tragic doesn’t make any sense. Jeralt’s death does however 

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I’d argue that Rudolf’s death is worse actually. At least Jeralt’s death is thematically relevant to Byleth’s character and stays consistent with everything established about the arc they undergo. Rudolf’s death just kinda happens with very little thematic build up. Like Rudolf’s death makes very little sense to happen at all given Alm’s character arc up until that point or at the very least it being framed as something tragic doesn’t make any sense. Jeralt’s death does however 

Spoiler

I mean, I barely pay any attention to themes, so I feel like Rudolf being previously established and built up and his death being relevant to the plot puts it well above Jeralt's. Like, after the fact I can see why the writers choose to kill of Rudolf there, whereas I don't see that with Jeralt-He just dies because tlot pwist. The whole "The bad guy is your dad and you killed him" makes a lot more sense than "Irrelevant character is dead now."

58 minutes ago, The Moon Mage said:

I would agree that it’s unfinished but I don’t think that makes it bad.

And I think the writing is good enough to justify playing every route IF you like the gameplay but that’s probably the real unpopular opinion...

EDIT: As far as Jeralt death v Rudolph death, Rudolph’s death was obviously coming for a long time in the plot so it really doesn’t matter to me whether or not Rudolph is Alm’s dad... but I think it’s supposed to, which means it probably failed at something. 😂

Jeralt’s death is good apart from introducing divine pulse into the story. That was stupid. Anyway, his death moves the plot and Byleth’s, for extreme lack of a better word, “arc” along.

Edited by Sooks

1 hour ago, The Moon Mage said:

*Dual Guards* I'LL SPOT YOU!

Agreed, especially on the replay value part. So much of the experience of playing this game doesn't age well after the first playthrough, and that became obvious to me during my first one. Like, I was looking at all sorts of stuff the game was making me do between battles and I was like "Christ, this won't age well".

4 hours ago, The Moon Mage said:

In addition to being unfinished, it made some real questionable gameplay choices.   Chapter 13 specifically is an insult to what I love about FE games which is the freedom of choosing which units to use. What’s the point of recruiting students from other houses and faculty pre timeskip when the first chapter post timeskip forces you to use students from your own house. However, I don’t think think this opinion is that unpopular.

A real unpopular opinion I have is that at least half of the cast of TH are as ‘shallow’ as the cast of Fates but the cast of TH benefits from the fact that they’re all fully voiced (which conveys emotions easily) and having longer supports and less support options which distracts people from the fact that many characters’ supports talk about similar things. 

Edited by zuibangde

6 hours ago, The Moon Mage said:

We aren't in year 1 here, this is a pretty common opinion now a days.

i haven't played it yet but the feeling i get about 3H gameplay is that, for how open the class system is and how much freedom you have.... that doesn't seem to add much replay value? because a handful of classes/builds are just clearly superior and most others are not worth it? that has made me my urgency to get to play it go down a bit.

Just now, The Moon Mage said:

Really well if that's the case then I must be living under a rock. 

Well this be the perfect nonrocked area to be at. Plenty of complaining about Three Houses in this thread.

in fact, as i often say, the time i spent outside the fandom and this board has actually given me the impression that despite the sales, three houses was not a success with the fans the way fateskening was. i still have this impression. i basically knew everything about the awakening and fates rosters before i played those games just from being in the fandom, while i can barely name the 3H people.

9 minutes ago, The Moon Mage said:

To think this discussion was made in June 25, 2017 and yet it's still going on.

People like to air their grievances. And on the positive side, it concentrates a lot of them into a single place, as opposed to littering more of the forums.

6 hours ago, Axie said:

i haven't played it yet but the feeling i get about 3H gameplay is that, for how open the class system is and how much freedom you have.... that doesn't seem to add much replay value? because a handful of classes/builds are just clearly superior and most others are not worth it? that has made me my urgency to get to play it go down a bit.

This is so true! In fact, for a game that boasts flexibility in options, it's truly actually lacking that option. You cant really use what you want cause the way proficiencies are setup and whatnot as well.

6 hours ago, Axie said:

I think the bigger problem* is that aside from on Maddening, my experience is that practically every unit is fundamentally the same; a few stand out, but the rest meld together because you can just make any unit anything, and aside from on maddening, they tend to be more-or-less equal in ability because most units join at level 1.

Like, this image kinda sums up my problem with the units.

(Spoiling image for size)

Spoiler

vbkUjHe.jpg

This was hard mode, no NG+ with no buffs or rallies applied on a unit with a 15% personal strength using an axe. And she'd only gained strength twice in her 20 or so levels.

In future games with reclassing, I hope they do it more like what Fates did it, since class is something that defines a character's ability, or find some other way to differentiate units at the very least.

*Omitting the fact that Three Houses has 36 unique maps, including paralogues. However, should you play all four routes and every paralogue, you'd do a staggering 110 maps. And there are only six maps in the game that aren't ever reused. And you'd play the first twelve maps 47 times in total. (Comparatively, counting everything for Fates, there are 81 maps to play through and 56 unique ones-And the first five maps can be skipped by the Branch Of Fate. Even not counting that, each map is used on average 1.2 times to Three Houses' 2.7 times.) Citation, I'd give this a read if you're interested in the shared maps topic.

55 minutes ago, Benice said:

This was hard mode, no NG+ with no buffs or rallies applied on a unit with a 15% personal strength using an axe. And she'd only gained strength twice in her 20 or so levels.

For the record, as bosses go, the chapter 11 Flame Emperor is... pretty pathetic. Like, I had little difficulty one-rounding them on Maddening (granted, with a more optimal build, in Wyvern Rider Petra). That said, I would agree with a point about changing Hero's Relic mechanics - either making them unusable, or come with a significant penalty, when used by units with the wrong Crest.

19 hours ago, The Moon Mage said:

I can respect it, as an unpopular opinion. Granted, though, the "having less fun on later playthroughs" is a subjective point, not a fact. The most fun, and challenge, I've had so far was in my third playthrough: Blue Lions Maddening NG+. I've put nearly 600 hours into it, and I'm still planning out my fifth playthrough. I really like the option to do off-brand builds - sure they're sub-optimal, but who cares? I just want Leonie to punch people, dammit! ...Ahem.

Anyway, no point in playing Three Houses if you're not having fun with it. Sorry your experience was a negative one. But for my part, I'm gonna keep enjoying the game.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

For the record, as bosses go, the chapter 11 Flame Emperor is... pretty pathetic.

I think my Peak Fighter Lysithea moment was her one-shotting almost every health bar of the Wind Caller, albeit with a crit. (Her crit was about 90, though) I know I have a photo of it somewhere...

EDIT: I can't find the Wind Caller, but I have this one from the same map

Spoiler

gxIfIDE.jpg

I wonder who else I can ruin by making them a fighter... Nothing will top my Mage Raphael, though.

Edited by Benice

15 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

For the record, as bosses go, the chapter 11 Flame Emperor is... pretty pathetic. Like, I had little difficulty one-rounding them on Maddening (granted, with a more optimal build, in Wyvern Rider Petra).

And why do they have only a Steel Axe? Thats what bothers me.

Relating to the above discussion, I think the core problem with reclassing is that there's too much emphasis on it. Barring personals you get all your skills through classes (and ranks in 3H), and the only game that imposes any speed limit on wild pivoting is Awakening (the means of which has its own problems). The former even encourages the latter, and the uneven power of individual skills results in a lot of rote class paths even if you aren't playing optimally. Going back to a Jugdral, Tellius or TRS style skill system would mandate less reclassing and turn it more into an experimental mechanic.

As an aside, I like the rank-based skill learning but if it comes back I want characters to have much smaller learnsets. You don't need a participation trophy for every weapon rank you get, why should characters who are deficient in certain weapon or movement types get the same out of them as proficient in them. The magic system has a more profound impact (when characters are in magic classes, at least) and some spell lists are a lot more limited than others.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And why do they have only a Steel Axe? Thats what bothers me.

Yeah, I get why, story-wise, they wouldn't have a personal weapon at that point. But even something generic like a Killer Axe would be more threatening. 

29 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think my Peak Fighter Lysithea moment was her one-shotting almost every health bar of the Wind Caller, albeit with a crit. (Her crit was about 90, though) I know I have a photo of it somewhere...

Ooh, nice. I think you've found her optimal build!