What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

On 1/25/2021 at 9:52 PM, joevar said:

please no. what if the moment enemies start showing up with killer weapon is just after you switch which character you want to train in arena. that would be too punishing

The point would be, to prevent grinding in the Arena ad infinitum - or at least, to increase the risk associated with it. This way, you'd just have to fit Arena combat into a tighter timeframe. The Arenamaster could even say "these new challengers have particularly lethal weapons, are you sure you're up for this?", to warn the player.

2 hours ago, joevar said:

that would be cool side story. the fact that pegasus sister fought alongside Alm/Celica army through that whole conflict, they must have established some connection with the new ruler of valentia before they went back. they could become the bridge in friendly talk between the two hero king

Ooh, maybe Minerva could introduce Wyverns to Valentia? Since we know they're present in Awakening times, but not the FE1/2/3 era.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The point would be, to prevent grinding in the Arena ad infinitum - or at least, to increase the risk associated with it. This way, you'd just have to fit Arena combat into a tighter timeframe. The Arenamaster could even say "these new challengers have particularly lethal weapons, are you sure you're up for this?", to warn the player

what if,  most (if not all) arena only appear in chapter where you must complete the map in a limited set of turn? be it rewarding (think of FE6 gaiden chapter requirement map) , or just plain fail the map if you take too long in said map.

i think it could also serve the purpose, while not making arena more of a gamble than already is.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, maybe Minerva could introduce Wyverns to Valentia? Since we know they're present in Awakening times, but not the FE1/2/3 era.

maybe she should do that, Minerva (or specifically her country iirc) is the only one who have wyvern right? either way Marth and Alm should get along just fine if they make contact directly

On 1/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, X-Naut said:

Palla and Catria could also do it since they promote to Dracoknight and know the queen personally.

Ah, but only the Archanean Palla and Catria do so. The Valentian Palla and Catria promote to Falcoknight. And they could, I suppose... maybe they accompany Minerva to Valentia after the war? I imagine they'd want to show their royal liege the whole other continent they discovered. 

This might come off as a hot take, and it might be, but oh well.

I personally feel like Micaiah ISN'T a morally grey character. I feel conflicted saying this, because I know a lot of Micaiah fans (Me included) tend to love and embrace that "fact" about Micaiah, but lately I've been thinking about it, and when I consider her options in part 3, I think not leaving her country to die by the blood pact to be the morally correct thing to do. At least to me, it's seems more morally correct then her ditching her whole country and leave it to die by the blood pact. 

What defines a moral gray area to begin with is ill-defined and difficult to discuss so that's understandable.

Edited by Murozaki

4 hours ago, Rose482 said:

This might come off as a hot take, and it might be, but oh well.

I personally feel like Micaiah ISN'T a morally grey character. I feel conflicted saying this, because I know a lot of Micaiah fans (Me included) tend to love and embrace that "fact" about Micaiah, but lately I've been thinking about it, and when I consider her options in part 3, I think not leaving her country to die by the blood pact to be the morally correct thing to do. At least to me, it's seems more morally correct then her ditching her whole country and leave it to die by the blood pact. 

I mean, I wouldn't disagree with that.

She's not thrust into a terrible moral dilemma initially. Remember, she doesn't know about the Blood Pact until later on, but is asked by Pelleas to lead his forces to fight against the Laguz Alliance, the reasons for doing so also not being presented to her beyond following his orders, a person who she is trusting towards and is lacking in direct advisors another issue which would suggest she would wish to help him. The moral part of it involves her following her king's orders and if this conflict is right for her to be taking part in by leading it. There is a dilemma, but with the information presented there's not much of a moral distinction there for her. She finds it more difficult over time as more information's presented, but only really becomes complicated after the LA is marching through Daein. When she has to make the choice of fighting the LA or risking the desolation of Daein, it's understandable why she, someone who has been characterised as willing to go very far for Daein, would respond as she does. Again, she doesn't really have that much context for the LA's reasons to fight at this point, right? Merely that Daein are using Pelleas, someone who she's willing to fight for and the reason she doesn't go for them is because they have the blood pact over them, something they still have to try and figure out.

Random opinions: Birthright Hayato is still useable.

The magic weapons from PoR would be nice to see come back.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

What do you mean by this exactly? Magic weapons have been a mainstay in the series for years now. I expect most of every game to have a Levin Sword and Bolt Axe if they don't have a str/mag split (and a magic lance that they haven't settled a permanent name on yet). The only thing particularly special about Path of Radiance's magic weapons is that there's no bloody units in the game to effectively use any of them.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What do you mean by this exactly? Magic weapons have been a mainstay in the series for years now. I expect most of every game to have a Levin Sword and Bolt Axe if they don't have a str/mag split (and a magic lance that they haven't settled a permanent name on yet). The only thing particularly special about Path of Radiance's magic weapons is that there's no bloody units in the game to effectively use any of them.

Things I like about those ones: there's one for each melee weapon (no magic bow is bit disappointing), there's magic for wind and fire and they have effectiveness too (different ones at that).

Yeah, I wasn't saying that I wanted them because the units that had them had low magic, jeez. Plenty of the older games that have magic weapons in them aren't exactly effective for their magic either. Also, what are the chances any new title's going to bring back str/mag merging?

35 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Things I like about those ones: there's one for each melee weapon (no magic bow is bit disappointing), there's magic for wind and fire and they have effectiveness too (different ones at that).

Ah, well for that what you'd really need back is the magic triangle, which it seems they've lost interest in. And their effective damage was pretty heavily built around the laguz system which we also aren't likely to see again any time soon. The only games in the past ten years that haven't had one for each physical melee weapon have been remakes (and we do have the Shining Bow now of course). Though if we get Genealogy remake we could see the Fire/Wind/Thunder swords again.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(and we do have the Shining Bow now of course). Though if we get Genealogy remake we could see the Fire/Wind/Thunder swords again.

PoR had the light-infused bow in the data, it just went unused for several games.

And for Genealogy, can we maybe convert the Flame and Bolt Swords into Lance and Axe respectively, like PoR? SoV did change the Astra and Luna from Lances to Sword and Bow. Swords have it good enough in Genealogy, what it needs is to better Lances and Axes and Fire and Thunder compared to Wind.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

PoR had the light-infused bow in the data, it just went unused for several games.

And for Genealogy, can we maybe convert the Flame and Bolt Swords into Lance and Axe respectively, like PoR? SoV did change the Astra and Luna from Lances to Sword and Bow. Swords have it good enough in Genealogy, what it needs is to better Lances and Axes and Fire and Thunder compared to Wind.

When you throw the light brand and earth sword on top of that (which would need to stay the same type for their primary users), swords really do get all the fun.

11 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Here's one. Edelgard is unhealthy for the Fire Emblem community. Never before have I seen such a flurry of downright fanatical and frenzied supporters of a character, not even Camilla. (Speaking across Twitter, reddit, and other places, not solely Serenes.)

You act like her supporters are more toxic than haters. These are the type of people that Edelgard fans have to deal with so of course they'll be agitated very easily. 

Edited by Icelerate

16 hours ago, Dayni said:

Random opinions: Birthright Hayato is still useable.

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Birthright is so easy that just about anyone is useble. 

Can confirm, finished BR lunatic recently.

35 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

You act like her supporters are more toxic than haters. These are the type of people that Edelgard fans have to deal with so of course they'll be agitated very easily. 

LMAO. This is obviously a troll.

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Here's one. Edelgard is unhealthy for the Fire Emblem community. Never before have I seen such a flurry of downright fanatical and frenzied supporters of a character, not even Camilla. (Speaking across Twitter, reddit, and other places, not solely Serenes.)

I mean that’s only because the haters are even worse in demonizing her to be frank.

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

That's one of the most clear-cut cases of trolling I've ever seen lol. And in any case, you act like other characters don't have haters and/or trolls like that, it's not something exclusive to Edelgard.

And I'm not an Edelgard hater. I'm pretty neutral on her, herself. I stand by my statement as an outside observer.

9 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's one of the most clear-cut cases of trolling I've ever seen lol. And in any case, you act like other characters don't have haters and/or trolls like that, it's not something exclusive to Edelgard.

Not really to the same extent. 

Jeralt should have had a less good relationship with Byleth. 

Jeralt has to keep referring Byleth awkwardly by gender-neutral titles, seemingly didn't inform them much about the politics and church of Fodlan (I can understand the church from stuff I heard about happens later) since Blyeth has to have it all explained.

I dunno I just felt like it should have been a relationship more awkward than just on Byleth's emotionless side on some fashion where they're somewhat distant before the start of the game, with that explaining why they never really cared enough to seemingly explain basic world building stuff to Byleth and really only fighting stuff. (since it does come across really awkward at times of "how has Byleth never heard this before?")

Also 3H should have just ditched Avatar-S-rank Locks, While I do think it's silly having everyone be bi for the avatar, stuff like Manuela (and apparently Claude) still acting flirty with the "Wrong" gender of Byleth, doubly so if that character does have a gay option with someone else, feels incredibly unpolished to the point where it honestly seems like we only had Male Byleth at the start or that Byleth's gender was going to depend on the route somehow, it simply doesn't feel like Byleth being the "wrong" gender in a route wasn't considered much of the time and it sticks out much more than "Everyone gay for the Avatar."

Edited by Samz707

unpopular rant possibly: why do some people lose all nuance when talking about difficulty? newsflash: everyone is usable in every fire emblem game if you just want to use them. that doesn't make birthright like path of radiance all of a sudden now lol. the nature of fire emblem is getting easier the more you play it, but not many of the games are actually that easy on a blind first play.

also i could not possibly care less about the twitter ramblings of whether characters have too many fans or haters or whatever. just enjoy the games and respect other people, you guys.

Edited by Axie

14 hours ago, Maof06 said:

LMAO. This is obviously a troll.

13 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's one of the most clear-cut cases of trolling I've ever seen lol.

You both say this as if calling it "trolling" absolves it of all guilt. It doesn't. Death threats are not trolling no matter what anyone wants to call them, they are harassment and toxic.

I think it’s safe to say that both groups of Edelgard fans/haters have an unhealthy amount of toxic people.

Another potentially unpopular opinion is that unlike the Tellius or even GBA games, I don’t see TH aging that well. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:08 PM, Dayni said:

I'm of the opposite mind: I'd rather we have fewer, or stop making them all literal tome weapons with more Might than most spells. Some strong range-locked magic weapons would be a cool addition though, like a lightsaber or a red-hot axe.