What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

14 hours ago, Florete said:

You both say this as if calling it "trolling" absolves it of all guilt. It doesn't. Death threats are not trolling no matter what anyone wants to call them, they are harassment and toxic.

There's a VERY big difference between absolving guilt and calling trolling trolling. Don't twist a false meaning into my words.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

There's a VERY big difference between absolving guilt and calling trolling trolling. Don't twist a false meaning into my words.

I'm not twisting anything. You downplayed a real problem. People literally told Edelgard fans to kill themselves and your response was, "Oh, it's trolling." This isn't some isolated issue, this isn't harmless, and acceptance of it only makes it worse.

4 hours ago, X-Naut said:

or stop making them all literal tome weapons with more Might than most spells

That started with PoR, it's worth noting that in Jugdral, the weapon's stats shifted to match that of a particular tome. That would be a partial remedy. Actually, I don't think the Jugdrali magic weapons cast magic/target Res up close, only afar, making them true hybrid weapons. I haven't played them recently though.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That started with PoR, it's worth noting that in Jugdral, the weapon's stats shifted to match that of a particular tome. That would be a partial remedy. Actually, I don't think the Jugdrali magic weapons cast magic/target Res up close, only afar, making them true hybrid weapons. I haven't played them recently though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure using magic Swords at 1-range, and in the Arena, leaves them doing physical damage. Which is pretty BS - what, you're gonna take away the one cool thing this weapon does, and just turn it into a worse Steel Sword? The Earth Sword is a half-turn exception, doing physical damage up close, but retaining the Sol effect.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm not twisting anything. You downplayed a real problem. People literally told Edelgard fans to kill themselves and your response was, "Oh, it's trolling." This isn't some isolated issue, this isn't harmless, and acceptance of it only makes it worse.

I downplayed nothing, I didn't say it was isolated, I didn't say it was harmless, and I didn't accept it. I know exactly what this is like, and how toxic and unhealthy it is; I actually have experienced being told to kill myself by internet dimwits before, more than once. I have a pretty good idea how much of a real problem it is. You did twist.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I downplayed nothing, I didn't say it was isolated, I didn't say it was harmless, and I didn't accept it. I know exactly what this is like, and how toxic and unhealthy it is; I actually have experienced being told to kill myself by internet dimwits before, more than once. I have a pretty good idea how much of a real problem it is. You did twist.

You said:

On 2/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Here's one. Edelgard is unhealthy for the Fire Emblem community. Never before have I seen such a flurry of downright fanatical and frenzied supporters of a character, not even Camilla. (Speaking across Twitter, reddit, and other places, not solely Serenes.)

When confronted with Edelgard haters being as bad or worse, you said:

On 2/7/2021 at 10:15 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's one of the most clear-cut cases of trolling I've ever seen lol.

You absolutely downplayed. You called Edelgard unhealthy due to obsessive fans, and when confronted with the same on the other side, you literally laughed. You're not treating both sides equally here. Maybe you made a poor choice of words or something, but what you're saying now does not match up with where this came from.

I’m not a big fan of Three Houses copying Persona in terms of the school setting and calendar system. It’s probably why I haven’t touch it in over a year and why I have only beaten the very first battle.

Edited by Wraith

7 hours ago, Florete said:

When confronted with Edelgard haters being as bad or worse, you said:

No, I said:

On 2/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's one of the most clear-cut cases of trolling I've ever seen lol. And in any case, you act like other characters don't have haters and/or trolls like that, it's not something exclusive to Edelgard.

And I'm not an Edelgard hater. I'm pretty neutral on her, herself. I stand by my statement as an outside observer.

Coupled with:

17 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

And:

10 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Nowhere in any statement I made did I lay claim that haters weren't as bad as obsessive fans. To further the point with your own statement:

You absolutely downplayed. You called Edelgard unhealthy due to obsessive fans, and when confronted with the same on the other side, you literally laughed.

You're cherry-picking partial phrases and twisting them into something they aren't. Nothing was downplayed and I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea, but what you think was being said is NOT what was being said.

You're not treating both sides equally here. Maybe you made a poor choice of words or something, but what you're saying now does not match up with where this came from.

And this is similar to saying "you must put 'imo' before everything you say on an opinion forum!"

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They don't, which as SP1M pointed out sort of negates their main purpose.

In a similar vein there's the FE7 Light Brand, which deals magic damage with no crit chance and halved Str at range. But if you use it up close it doesn't have these restrictions, but still targets Res.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

I’m not a big fan of Three Houses copying Persona in terms of the school setting and calendar system. It’s probably why I haven’t touch it in over a year and why I have only beaten the very first battle.

I’ve heard that complaint so many times. On this Forum that I swear that it’s not an unpopular opinion. And to be clear: This was not to copy Persona. The developers have stated that the reason a school setting was not chosen because of Persona or Harry Potter. It was because they were inspired by the 4th game in the series in which the protagonists go the same school only to fight each other war. 

And lastly, since we’re on the topic of Three Houses: Here’s an unpopular opinion: I never found Three Houses’s monastery and mini games a grind or a chore, nor did I ever find them tiresome. The theme of Three Houses is that you and your friends enjoy peaceful days as friends only for you to become enemies with the blink of an eye- and you should cherish those peaceful memories with your friends. The monastery and school setting captures that perfectly. Instead of going immediately into war- you are teaching your class and enjoying life with other students. Why rush to a battle immediately? Sit back and have a tea party with a student not from your class. You can have a great time with them. Or you can discuss life over a meal or cooking food.  The Edge of Dawn captures that feeling well: It’s describes Edelgard’s desire to stay in the academy rather than declare war, knowing those were the days where she could relax. The Japanese title: Wind, Flower, Snow, and Moon, which refers to how beautiful and cherished the passing of the year is, specifically the academy year. 

As for gameplay, I never found Interacting with students or monastery boring or tedium, as well as the experience and class system as well. I liked interacting with students on the monastery days. I got to learn some interesting facts, like how Ingrid is related to House Daphnel and strongly respects Judith. Or how Dorothea mourns at Ferdinand’s death, claiming that he used to be our friend. That goes back to the main theme of Three Houses: Enjoying academy life and treasuring it. Unlike the other Fire Emblem games, these aren’t strangers you don’t know fighting - These are people you spent a lot with. There your friends. You don want to kill them. And when you kill them, it makes you feel so sad because these were people you had tea, cooked and meal with, and shared a dance with them. Likewise, I really enjoyed activities like tea parties and the sauna because they allowed me to get my know students while also allowing me to gain stat buffs via things like Tea parties. One of my favorite things about Fire Emblem is the interaction between party members. I love seeing how people react to certain scenarios or how people can relate to each other in support conversations etc, or how learning more about the history of someone’s past. It’s one of the reasons I’m drawn into Fire Emblem. Supports between units are important to gameplay and the game encourages you try to build those bonds with each other. Very few game handles relationships like Fire Emblem. It’s the reason why I find older games a lot more uninteresting- they have very little dialogue and so little interaction.
As for the class system, I never found it a pain at all. The game gives you your students as blank slates. Sure, some have favored areas over the other,  but that doesn’t mean you can’t raise someone’s bad stat. It will just take longer. This game encourages you to try out all sorts of combos- like Warrior Annette or Dark Flier Ingrid, the latter of which was my one of my MVP for Blue Lions Maddening playthrough. This is also reinforced by the fact that classes do not reset levels nor does it require you to use certain weapons while locking all the others. Feel free to play around as much as you like, experimentation is never punished. Fates also had similar ability to share classes, but these were limited by the fact that classes were locked per route, and the fact that you had to grind weapon ranks If you wanted to use higher rank weapons. You could also only get two additional classes in Fates, while Three Houses, your units have access to more classes. And that’s before considering things like recruiting or not recruiting students. To me, Three Houses biggest selling point is the sheer versatility it offers when designing your units. The only actually restrictions are Gender locks- everything else is accessible. 

I guess if it wasn’t obvious, I like the option of being able to grind and interact with my allies in order to get the perfect skills and supports, while also serving as a good break from the fighting. I like to take my time and prepare before heading off to battle. Mini games and extra battles often provide time and resources to grind up a bit and obtain all the right skills before going to battles. Being forced into battle back to back is not something I like. I want a hub area and mini games to make it into the next title. 

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

And lastly, since we’re on the topic of Three Houses: Here’s an unpopular opinion: I never found Three Houses’s monastery and mini games a grind or a chore, nor did I ever find them tiresome. The theme of Three Houses is that you and your friends enjoy peaceful days as friends only for you to become enemies with the blink of an eye- and you should cherish those peaceful memories with your friends. The monastery and school setting captures that perfectly. Instead of going immediately into war- you are teaching your class and enjoying life with other students. Why rush to a battle immediately? Sit back and have a tea party with a student not from your class. You can have a great time with them. Or you can discuss life over a meal or cooking food.  The Edge of Dawn captures that feeling well: It’s describes Edelgard’s desire to stay in the academy rather than declare war, knowing those were the days where she could relax. The Japanese title: Wind, Flower, Snow, and Moon, which refers to how beautiful and cherished the passing of the year is, specifically the academy year. 

As for gameplay, I never found Interacting with students or monastery boring or tedium, as well as the experience and class system as well. I liked interacting with students on the monastery days. I got to learn some interesting facts, like how Ingrid is related to House Daphnel and strongly respects Judith. Or how Dorothea mourns at Ferdinand’s death, claiming that he used to be our friend. That goes back to the main theme of Three Houses: Enjoying academy life and treasuring it. Unlike the other Fire Emblem games, these aren’t strangers you don’t know fighting - These are people you spent a lot with. There your friends. You don want to kill them. And when you kill them, it makes you feel so sad because these were people you had tea, cooked and meal with, and shared a dance with them. Likewise, I really enjoyed activities like tea parties and the sauna because they allowed me to get my know students while also allowing me to gain stat buffs via things like Tea parties. One of my favorite things about Fire Emblem is the interaction between party members. I love seeing how people react to certain scenarios or how people can relate to each other in support conversations etc, or how learning more about the history of someone’s past. It’s one of the reasons I’m drawn into Fire Emblem.

All that stuff about fighting people you care about and got to know is nice, but there’s basically no reason to interact with anyone not in your house unless you’re recruiting them or you really like them. Especially on your first play through. So the end result is you fighting a bunch of people who are just above strangers, with the obvious exceptions of Hubert and Edelgard on Silver Snow

Just now, Sooks said:

All that stuff about fighting people you care about and got to know is nice, but there’s basically no reason to interact with anyone not in your house unless you’re recruiting them or you really like them. Especially on your first play through. So the end result is you fighting a bunch of people who are just above strangers, with the obvious exceptions of Hubert and Edelgard on Silver Snow

I disagree that there is 0 reason to talk with students outside of your class. You can learn details about how students feel about their current situations, or and potentially learn a bit about their history. For example, after the Tómas incident, Lysithea will tell you that she had little no knowledge about Tómas’a relationship to House Ordelia, not even being aware of his time during his visit. It points to the direction that Tómas was murdered and was being impersonated by Solon. The first playthrough is the best time to be interacting with the outside students since a completely blind player will probably want to interact with everyone just to gain enough info on the current scenario. 

Or if you want gameplay purposes, returning items is a reason why players would interact with foreign students. And let’s not forget beginning quests. 

26 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I disagree that there is 0 reason to talk with students outside of your class. You can learn details about how students feel about their current situations, or and potentially learn a bit about their history. For example, after the Tómas incident, Lysithea will tell you that she had little no knowledge about Tómas’a relationship to House Ordelia, not even being aware of his time during his visit. It points to the direction that Tómas was murdered and was being impersonated by Solon. The first playthrough is the best time to be interacting with the outside students since a completely blind player will probably want to interact with everyone just to gain enough info on the current scenario.

But those are just bits of dialogue. That’s not super meaningful. Which is why I said just above stranger, although it’s been a while, so I might not remember just how much you learn from these.

26 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Or if you want gameplay purposes, returning items is a reason why players would interact with foreign students. And let’s not forget beginning quests. 

Students with quests don’t always have anything noteworthy to say.

As for returning items, I just spammed meals for motivation, but that works too I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But those are just bits of dialogue. That’s not super meaningful. Which is why I said just above stranger, although it’s been a while, so I might not remember just how much you learn from these.

Still though, these were your friends at the academy who you spent half the game with and engaged with Tea Parties, had a meal with it, and enjoyed the sauna. There much more than the average NPC you just saw once before slaying.

Just now, ZeManaphy said:

Still though, these were your friends at the academy who you spent half the game with and engaged with Tea Parties, had a meal with it, and enjoyed the sauna. There much more than the average NPC you just saw once before slaying.

Like I said, I never had much motivation to do that with anyone I wasn’t going to recruit.

BUT I also have recurred everyone available in almost every play through, including my first (which was a big mistake), so I might not have the best point of view.

5 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I’ve heard that complaint so many times. On this Forum that I swear that it’s not an unpopular opinion. And to be clear: This was not to copy Persona. The developers have stated that the reason a school setting was not chosen because of Persona or Harry Potter. It was because they were inspired by the 4th game in the series in which the protagonists go the same school only to fight each other war. 

As for gameplay, I never found Interacting with students or monastery boring or tedium, as well as the experience and class system as well. I liked interacting with students on the monastery days. I got to learn some interesting facts, like how Ingrid is related to House Daphnel and strongly respects Judith. Or how Dorothea mourns at Ferdinand’s death, claiming that he used to be our friend. That goes back to the main theme of Three Houses: Enjoying academy life and treasuring it. Unlike the other Fire Emblem games, these aren’t strangers you don’t know fighting - These are people you spent a lot with. There your friends. You don want to kill them. And when you kill them, it makes you feel so sad because these were people you had tea, cooked and meal with, and shared a dance with them. Likewise, I really enjoyed activities like tea parties and the sauna because they allowed me to get my know students while also allowing me to gain stat buffs via things like Tea parties. One of my favorite things about Fire Emblem is the interaction between party members. I love seeing how people react to certain scenarios or how people can relate to each other in support conversations etc, or how learning more about the history of someone’s past. It’s one of the reasons I’m drawn into Fire Emblem. Supports between units are important to gameplay and the game encourages you try to build those bonds with each other. Very few game handles relationships like Fire Emblem. It’s the reason why I find older games a lot more uninteresting- they have very little dialogue and so little interaction.
As for the class system, I never found it a pain at all. The game gives you your students as blank slates. Sure, some have favored areas over the other,  but that doesn’t mean you can’t raise someone’s bad stat. It will just take longer. This game encourages you to try out all sorts of combos- like Warrior Annette or Dark Flier Ingrid, the latter of which was my one of my MVP for Blue Lions Maddening playthrough. This is also reinforced by the fact that classes do not reset levels nor does it require you to use certain weapons while locking all the others. Feel free to play around as much as you like, experimentation is never punished. Fates also had similar ability to share classes, but these were limited by the fact that classes were locked per route, and the fact that you had to grind weapon ranks If you wanted to use higher rank weapons. You could also only get two additional classes in Fates, while Three Houses, your units have access to more classes. And that’s before considering things like recruiting or not recruiting students. To me, Three Houses biggest selling point is the sheer versatility it offers when designing your units. The only actually restrictions are Gender locks- everything else is accessible. 

I guess if it wasn’t obvious, I like the option of being able to grind and interact with my allies in order to get the perfect skills and supports, while also serving as a good break from the fighting. I like to take my time and prepare before heading off to battle. Mini games and extra battles often provide time and resources to grind up a bit and obtain all the right skills before going to battles. Being forced into battle back to back is not something I like. I want a hub area and mini games to make it into the next title. 

You know this is a good take. Personally my primary issue with the social aspects of 3H is that didn’t really go all in with it. Like take the dialogue options for instance. You don’t really gain or lose anything for picking the right or wrong option. Like okay you can gain support points but that doesn’t really mean anything when you can just spam gifts at them for literally the same effect. It’s not like persona where the dialogue options actually matter to some degree. Also losing support points doesn’t really do anything either so I have to ask wtf is the point. Not only that but the monestary just gets really repetitive after a while. Like you’re not really doing anything new. It’s just the same old somg and dance. Talk to students, deliver lost items, raise motivation, and then rinse and repeat. It just gets repetitive after a while and there’s not a whole lot to help mix things up a bit. I don’t mind the monestary on paper I just wish they did more with it and had a more complex social system.

14 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

You're cherry-picking partial phrases and twisting them into something they aren't. Nothing was downplayed and I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea, but what you think was being said is NOT what was being said.

And this is similar to saying "you must put 'imo' before everything you say on an opinion forum!"

I legitimately can't comprehend how you aren't seeing the issue here but I can't find any other way to explain it so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

You know this is a good take. Personally my primary issue with the social aspects of 3H is that didn’t really go all in with it. Like take the dialogue options for instance. You don’t really gain or lose anything for picking the right or wrong option. Like okay you can gain support points but that doesn’t really mean anything when you can just spam gifts at them for literally the same effect. It’s not like persona where the dialogue options actually matter to some degree. Also losing support points doesn’t really do anything either so I have to ask wtf is the point. Not only that but the monestary just gets really repetitive after a while. Like you’re not really doing anything new. It’s just the same old somg and dance. Talk to students, deliver lost items, raise motivation, and then rinse and repeat. It just gets repetitive after a while and there’s not a whole lot to help mix things up a bit. I don’t mind the monestary on paper I just wish they did more with it and had a more complex social system.

They’ll probably make a more complex social system in the next game. And to be totally fair, they are several ways to reduce the grind on the monastery. The main reason to do the Monastery is to remotivate your students. That can easily be avoided by having Byleth be an MVP for a paralouge battle, or by resting to restore half of the motivation. During the my BL Maddening run, I found that doing the Monastery once a month was sufficient enough to keep my team motivated. The rest was given to other activities, Auxiliary Battles, and of course, rest. Also NG+ also allows you to buy back skills, supports, crest items, weapon ranks to make the grind much less required. 

As for the support system, you really want to get the right answer not to reduce super points so you don’t have to waste time with items getting it back. That’s the draw. 

17 hours ago, Wraith said:

School setting and calendar system is far from unique to Persona.

9 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Except returning items is a mess.

Most of the dialogue when you talk to them while walking around, is pretty generic "oh Hey professor! did you know (Insert plot point of the month) here?" of the entire cast only 2-3 of them will generally have something actually worthwhile to say a Month.

Even when I went out of my way to talk to everyone else at the start, I still have no clue where half the lost items go to, because most characters have not said a single thing indicating which items would belong to which, so delivering them was just spamming every single lost item I have (well over 10, I'm pretty sure I must have every single one in the game by this point.) at people occasionally, it's like the devs forgot you're only going to really get to interact with your own house and therefore are clueless for any item that doesn't belong to them, it's pretty much Trial and Error.

I'm on my first playthrough and all I feel is that the devs forgot you don't actually get to interact much with anyone not part of your house, 1-3 lines of mostly "Hey did you know about current plot event?" does not tell me which item belongs to which character, it's a system that feels like it only works if you've already beaten the game numerous times and know which items belong to who via that.

Edited by Samz707

4 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Even when I went out of my way to talk to everyone else at the start, I still have no clue where half the lost items go to, because most characters have not said a single thing indicating which items would belong to which, so delivering them was just spamming every single lost item I have (well over 10, I'm pretty sure I must have every single one in the game by this point.) at people occasionally, it's like the devs forgot you're only going to really get to interact with your own house and therefore are clueless for any item that doesn't belong to them, it's pretty much Trial and Error.

I'm on my first playthrough and all I feel is that the devs forgot you don't actually get to interact much with anyone not part of your house, 1-3 lines of mostly "Hey did you know about current plot event?" does not tell me which item belongs to which character, it's a system that feels like it only works if you've already beaten the game numerous times and know which items belong to who via that.

I never had a problem with that. The item often pretty much directly spells out who it belongs to. One of the first things Annette and Lysithea say in the monastery is how much they love sweets so any item about that is likely to go to them, an item describing it belongs to someone who's ''very aware of his own nobility'' can only refer to Ferdinand and Lorenz, crest based objects easily go to Hanneman etcetera.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

School setting and calendar system is far from unique to Persona.

Sure other games have used it in the past, however Persona definitely popularized the concept due to the success of Persona 3-5.

13 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

It was because they were inspired by the 4th game in the series in which the protagonists go the same school only to fight each other war. 

You can see alot of this in 3H, haha. the "Holy weapons", "Holy Blood" 2 generations... well, 3H's isn't a generation, but the entire concept is the exact same. Yes, i'm not convinced the crests aren't simply renames of the holy blood idea.

Edited by lightcosmo

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

It’s not even based on what they say to you in the monastery half the time, shoutouts to Shamir having a lost item that is referenced in one support.

On TH lost items: while people may start out trying to actually figure out what item goes to who, eventually most players just resort to spamming each item at whoever they come across until the person accepts one. Streamers and LPs I've seen have all ended up here. Some items are more obvious than others who they go to (who would a painting of Rhea go to other than Cyril?), some characters are more obvious what might belong to them, but there are too many characters to remember all these details about them and some items are really abstract or could just realistically go to multiple different people, sometimes 10 or more. It's also funny when Leonie criticizes people for losing things despite losing just as much as anyone else.

Honestly, I think the idea is dead on arrival. It's a pure fetch quest and while I just sat here for a few minutes trying to think of ways to make it more interactive, everything I thought of didn't actually feel like it would be any fun and would instead just encourage people to use a guide. I was literally going to start this paragraph with "I don't think it's a terrible idea in concept" but couldn't actually think of anything to support that statement.