What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Weighing in here, I think just in general it was a really bad idea to make classism a theme of Shadows of Valentia. It isn't an element at all in the original game and no matter how you slice the Alm reveal it's going to have some kind of unfortunate implications on the whole notion. And just in general making Rigel a typical feudal society is just sort of boring. All the groundwork is laid there for it to be Ashnard and Edelgard's wet dream of a meritocracy. And aside from the vague talk of how they value strength, there's actually a basis for it being a genuine meritocracy even in the original Gaiden. That basis being how Zeke managed to become a general in such an absurdly short time. That's still present in Shadows of Valentia...only they just outright ignore that Zeke has absolutely nothing other than his accent or posture to prove that he's of noble blood yet still manages an insane level of economic maneuverability. If they were going to have classism in the game they should have made it purely a Zofian thing to show how if you give a people infinite charity, the people in charge will still hoard the wealth for themselves and create a class division. Meanwhile in Rigel it doesn't matter where you're born, so long as you can succeed, but that in turn breeds massive resentment and competition between people where even military strategy can break down as generals to reckless things just to prove their worth. This even goes as far as Alm's kingship itself. Rudolf's plan to start a war was specifically designed to find heroes in Gaiden, it didn't necessarily need to be Alm, anyone with the required aptitude would do to defeat Duma and inherit the land. Rudolf personally wanted and hoped it would be Alm, but it Saint King Tobin had united the land against him then he would have done. Classism is a decent enough theme to explore in games such as these, but Gaiden was almost uniquely built to be the game where it's least worth exploring, at least for all the plot points pertaining to Rigel.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps the classism topic of the game was being very misinterpreted as it is. Where the true purpose of the game was a lesson of how you mustn't let your birthright define you or even limit your ambitions in life.

Kinda like say... hmm... let's say Pixar's Ratatouille and the "Anyone can Cook" phrase the movie throws a lot... but then at the end you learn the real meaning of the phrase, rather than the one people may have thought for most of the movie.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Weighing in here, I think just in general it was a really bad idea to make classism a theme of Shadows of Valentia. It isn't an element at all in the original game and no matter how you slice the Alm reveal it's going to have some kind of unfortunate implications on the whole notion. And just in general making Rigel a typical feudal society is just sort of boring. All the groundwork is laid there for it to be Ashnard and Edelgard's wet dream of a meritocracy. And aside from the vague talk of how they value strength, there's actually a basis for it being a genuine meritocracy even in the original Gaiden. That basis being how Zeke managed to become a general in such an absurdly short time. That's still present in Shadows of Valentia...only they just outright ignore that Zeke has absolutely nothing other than his accent or posture to prove that he's of noble blood yet still manages an insane level of economic maneuverability. If they were going to have classism in the game they should have made it purely a Zofian thing to show how if you give a people infinite charity, the people in charge will still hoard the wealth for themselves and create a class division. Meanwhile in Rigel it doesn't matter where you're born, so long as you can succeed, but that in turn breeds massive resentment and competition between people where even military strategy can break down as generals to reckless things just to prove their worth. This even goes as far as Alm's kingship itself. Rudolf's plan to start a war was specifically designed to find heroes in Gaiden, it didn't necessarily need to be Alm, anyone with the required aptitude would do to defeat Duma and inherit the land. Rudolf personally wanted and hoped it would be Alm. Classism is a decent enough theme to explore in games such as these, but Gaiden was almost uniquely built to be the game where it's least worth exploring, at least for all the plot points pertaining to Rigel.

I completely agree. This was the FE game that least needed to explore classism, it should've been unique to Zofia, and the way that they centered the classism theme around Alm clashed with the game's main duality theme.

It really does strike me as a misplaced priority.

11 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

t really does strike me as a misplaced priority.

Same because with the way the story is written that kind of message just doesn’t make any sense. Like it strikes me as them trying to inject new ideas into the remake but not at all knowing how it would fit into the story as a whole. Though the funniest part is they could’ve actually made it work had Alm not been a static nice guy light novel protagonist because then he would’ve paralleled Berkut a lot better and would’ve actually been able to overcome the station of his birth.

I think the theme of classism works in Zophia since its already a decadent, corrupt hellhole. Everyone from Desaix to Clive looking down on Alm the moment they hear he got raised in a village instead of a castle fits. What's weirder is that the theme also applies to Rigel. You'd think a country build entirely on might making right would be inherently opposed to any sort of class system. If power is all that matters then who cares that Berkut's uncle is the emperor? All that should matter in Rigel is that Berkut is a complete loser and thus inherently unworthy.

55 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the theme of classism works in Zophia since its already a decadent, corrupt hellhole. Everyone from Desaix to Clive looking down on Alm the moment they hear he got raised in a village instead of a castle fits. What's weirder is that the theme also applies to Rigel. You'd think a country build entirely on might making right would be inherently opposed to any sort of class system. If power is all that matters then who cares that Berkut's uncle is the emperor? All that should matter in Rigel is that Berkut is a complete loser and thus inherently unworthy.

The theme doesn't really bleed into Rigel. All of it seems to primarily focus on the Zofian characters and Alm's route, at most with Rigel it puts focus on merit and having the birthright. It's a mix of both or Berkut would've had the throne immediately regardless of Alm.

53 minutes ago, Seazas said:

The theme doesn't really bleed into Rigel. All of it seems to primarily focus on the Zofian characters and Alm's route, at most with Rigel it puts focus on merit and having the birthright. It's a mix of both or Berkut would've had the throne immediately regardless of Alm.

Fernand certainly seems to view it as a nation that puts the proper due to noble bloodline. And Berkut even outright says this.

Berkut: You said the name of the Deliverance’s new leader is “Alm,” correct? And that he is of common birth? There is no mistake in this?

Fernand: None, my lord. Clive and the other fools believe he is Mycen’s grandson…

Berkut: Hmph. What nonsense. One is born either noble or common. This destiny cannot be changed. Has a sheep any hope of leading wolves? No!

Fernand: *gasp* Yes! Yes, exactly! Truer words were never spoken, Lord Berkut!

It's particularly incongruous given that Mycen was a celebrated hero of Rigel, so if Mycen can be seen as a Hero then Alm who is supposedly from the same stock should be positively viewed in Rigel from either a classiest or a meritocratic perspective. Regardless Berkut and Fernand defecting to Rigel are two of the principle elements in the story for exploring the theme of classism. In addition Jesse's support with Saber specifically has him saying one of his motivations for finding his own mercenary kingdom separate from both Rigel and Zofia is to have a place with no concept of commoner or noble. Other examples include Slayde stating Rigel listened to him based on his noble status and Rigel even rewarding Slayde at all when Slayde fled from battle rather than proving himself in any way capable of, well basically anything. Conrad's mother was said to be a RIgelian noble too, so yeah, it's pretty clear that there is a blood based class division in Rigel as much as there is in Zofia. I don't think we even get a Rigellian character ever spouting Ashnard style rhetoric rejecting the idea of judging people based on where they're born. Rigel seems very much to be "The strong should rule the weak, and the strong are those that come from strong bloodlines while the weak or the ones who have been born poor and deserve to stay there."  Berkut again says this pretty clearly.

Berkut: From childhood, all that’s ever been asked of me is strength. It is my duty as one born to stand above others. To rule. I’ve been taught that all my life. By my father, my mother… How am I to remain calm in the face of defeat at the hands of peasants?! I even debased myself by making use of that deviant’s powers… And it’s still not enough?!

The only example of someone that contradicts this is Zeke, and even for him one could claim he managed to succeed by having an air of nobility even if he has no proof of it (which is still a bit ridiculous, but everything about Zeke's military career has been ridiculous since Old Mystery set a time frame for how long he was in Valentia). Edited by Jotari

On 9/24/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jotari said:

"The strong should rule the weak, and the strong are those that come from strong bloodlines while the weak or the ones who have been born poor and deserve to stay there."

Truly the poors are a blight upon society.

Voice acting in Fire Emblem has always been bad. It should scrap it entirely.

Even if it was competently done (unlikely), it would still be a bad idea. Full voice acting is entirely inappropriate for the level of effort Fire Emblem puts into its general presentation- it's uncanny to have complete voice over alongside still portraits and poorly animated 3D models, just as it would be uncanny if you took a scene from a movie or a Halo cutscene and replaced all the dialogue with textboxes. This is (one of myriad reasons) why the GBA games still have better presentation than Three Houses.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

14 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

it's uncanny to have complete voice over alongside still portraits and poorly animated 3D models, just as it would be uncanny if you took a scene from a movie or a Halo cutscene and replaced all the dialogue with textboxes.

I suggest you never play a visual novel.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Even if it was competently done (unlikely), it would still be a bad idea. Full voice acting is entirely inappropriate for the level of effort Fire Emblem puts into its general presentation- it's uncanny to have complete voice over alongside still portraits and poorly animated 3D models, just as it would be uncanny if you took a scene from a movie or a Halo cutscene and replaced all the dialogue with textboxes. This is (one of myriad reasons) why the GBA games still have better presentation than Three Houses.

Personally I’ll take any excuse to hear Hosoya, Sugita, or Koyasu in an FE game personally. Any money put towards putting them in a booth is money well spent

I don't like Hapi's impact on the Azure Moon story. I'm guessing that's an unpopular opinion because for the most part I've heard people liking the fact that she sets Dimitri on the Slitherer's trail.

The problem with that is that I think its thematically fitting for Dimitri not to uncover the conspiracy. Dimitri focusing entirely on Edelgard and not noticing the figures hiding in her shadow makes sense when you consider their history and his personal troubles. It would be a natural consequence of Dimitri's story being inherently more personal and on a somewhat smaller scale. Dimitri already having accidentally defeated Thales gives further reasons as to how he wouldn't know of the Slitherers. Edelgard has personal ties to the Slitherers, Rhea and byleth have historical ties to them and Claude is an outsider capable of looking past Fodlan's convention. For them it all makes sense to get involved with the crazy mole people, but with Dimitri there's less reason for him to be involved in that conflict other than that the fans want him to be. 

Rather than it being a loose end before Hapi came around I considered it completely in character for Dimitri never to find out and I preferred it that way. It was more fitting for Dimitri and it helped balance out Azure Moon with the other endings to which it now compares rather unduly favorable. Besides, the great evil being defeated but the cult hiding underground is a long standing tradition on Fire Emblem continents. Dimitri being more of an Anri than a Marth would have been an interesting touch. 

31 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't like Hapi's impact on the Azure Moon story. I'm guessing that's an unpopular opinion because for the most part I've heard people liking the fact that she sets Dimitri on the Slitherer's trail.

The problem with that is that I think its thematically fitting for Dimitri not to uncover the conspiracy. Dimitri focusing entirely on Edelgard and not noticing the figures hiding in her shadow makes sense when you consider their history and his personal troubles. It would be a natural consequence of Dimitri's story being inherently more personal and on a somewhat smaller scale. Dimitri already having accidentally defeated Thales gives further reasons as to how he wouldn't know of the Slitherers. Edelgard has personal ties to the Slitherers, Rhea and byleth have historical ties to them and Claude is an outsider capable of looking past Fodlan's convention. For them it all makes sense to get involved with the crazy mole people, but with Dimitri there's less reason for him to be involved in that conflict other than that the fans want him to be. 

Rather than it being a loose end before Hapi came around I considered it completely in character for Dimitri never to find out and I preferred it that way. It was more fitting for Dimitri and it helped balance out Azure Moon with the other endings to which it now compares rather unduly favorable. Besides, the great evil being defeated but the cult hiding underground is a long standing tradition on Fire Emblem continents. Dimitri being more of an Anri than a Marth would have been an interesting touch. 

As a narrative device I agree that itbwirks better for Dimitri. But just in terms of pure canon, I see no real reason why Dimitri won't find a not written by Hubert five minutes after the end of the game and then most on off to Shambala like in the other two routes. Aside from it being two months later there's no real difference in the situation. Well actually I guess the Javelin if light weren't used in Azure Moon...course that begs the question as to why the Javelin weren't used. Thales would have been far better off using them to nuke Claude rather then doing what he did in the other two(three?) routes, which was to nuke one if his own fortress.

On a related note, they should have killed Rhea off at the end of Part 1 in Verdant Wind and Azure Moon. Azure Moon especially she's basically a massive dangling plot thread since she isn't seen at all. Like we can deduce that Dimitri rescues her right after the ending but it's not a part of the story at all. As for Verdant Wind, it leaves me with some issues as to the future if Fodlan with Rhea still alive and well. Like I don't think Edelgard is justified in starting the war, but Rhea was still a bit if a tyrant and her just giving up control like that seems unlikely.  Sure she's a bit torture traumatised now, what, other than God Emperor Byleth, is stopping her from stepping back into power ten years later and causing more trouble? But I might be biased on that front because I played Silver Snow first and Verdant Wind second, so Rhea dying was already expected as a natural part of the story, so her just...unceremoniously not for no reason kind of stood out.

And just in general if Rhea dies at the end of Part 1 in Verdant Wind and lives in Silver Snow then it serves to differentiate the two routes more. The reason for the different final bosses would also be more clear (especially if theres nk Rhea to destroy Shambala as an explanation for Nemesis). There'd also be something poignant about Nemesis's rampage too, as he'd seeking revenge on someone already dead, rather than what it is now, which is a giant question mark as to why it's Claude out here fighting and why Rhea is playing zero part in the plot with this character that's obsessed with her.

Edited by Jotari

True but again I blame this on IS make Byleth the avatar this is a story where not having one would have been more beneficial in general. Edelgard needs Byleth also and causes massive harm by war to change fodlan but Rhea is never called out on it as much as el herself. The things I would have done for why she needs the Agarthan is that she doesn’t need them at all but more that these jerk have stolen so many people identity that she just doesn’t waste resources on it now since they can just backstab her if she is out of line. Basically she in a doomed if you do doomed if you don’t blackmail unless she cooperates. Rhea literally expirements on multiple people just to see mommy again. Considering that the normal human lifespan is 100 years and Byleth is the 13th Vessal she been doing this for at least 1000 years and so much more to hide the truth of the elites and Agarthan hoping to see her mommy again. Hell she banned technology in fodlan just she was afraid of someone discovering the truth. Hanneman says it during the monastery exploration that she even banned small tech out of fear for no valid reason. What I hate is people bashing Edelgard but not Rhea in equal amounts since they both did horrible stuffs. Edelgard does since she wants to save people with only one side of the story while Rhea does for mommy approval from the grave. Hell both made horrible decisions but if you have to chose the lesser of the two evil I’d go Edelgard just because she takes seriously while rhea just want her bottle without caring about the consequences of her system and actions  

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I do think full voice acting a waste of time and money. Sometimes I actually wonder if Byleth is a silent protag only because they have supports with every character and it would've cost too much money to have all those lines fully voiced (twice).

2 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I do think full voice acting a waste of time and money. Sometimes I actually wonder if Byleth is a silent protag only because they have supports with every character and it would've cost too much money to have all those lines fully voiced (twice).

Eh, I doubt it. I'm not sure how the amount of lines compares, but Mass Effect, for example, manages full voice acting with a protagonist gender option and a lot of alternate dialogue options. Silent protagonist is just a thing these kinds of RPGs often like to do. Persona games don't even have a gender option and yet (recent ones) are fully voiced aside from the protagonist, who is silent.

My unpopular opinion is that Corrin is a well written character. A genuinely good person trying to do good in the world. Yes, even in Conquest. I haven't played Revelations yet, so I haven't seen that, but still, I see nothing wrong with wanting to help as many people as possible. The world needs more people like that!

I'd probably say more but it's time for work!

1 hour ago, SuperEliseLover said:

My unpopular opinion is that Corrin is a well written character. A genuinely good person trying to do good in the world. Yes, even in Conquest. I haven't played Revelations yet, so I haven't seen that, but still, I see nothing wrong with wanting to help as many people as possible. The world needs more people like that!

My objection is less to Corrin's personality, as it is to how the world treats them. Despite being secluded and naive to the world, they're allowed to lead an army. At least one family and nation goes fully along with their plans and intentions. They possess the mysterious power to kill many people while keeping them alive, despite receiving no specific training in that regard. They're able to convince an entire army to jump off a bridge at their word. Oh, and anyone* can fall in love with them, irrespective of backstory or personality. They combine the worst aspects of "avatar" and "main character" in a world poorly constructed around them.

*some terms and heterosexuality may apply

1 hour ago, SuperEliseLover said:

I think in that sense the writing for Corrin is pretty decent. The Corrin's really are as pure and wholesome as the story wants them to be, and on a personal level they're thus quite likable as a result. The world being determined to absolutely crush Corrin's purity also introduces some tragedy in the character. Its very easy to see why everyone would be so devoted to, and protective of Corrin.

The problem lies more in how Fates tries to maintain this purity, what effect it has on the story , how the story views Corrin, and how other characters react to Corrin. The story very strongly resist even the impression that Corrin might be doing something wrong. This often leads to the story trying to twists itself in all sorts of corners in order to insist that Corrin's hands stay clean while simultaneously taking an incredibly cowardly approach on the fallout of these actions. For example the story fixes Corrin needing to work with the shady Kotaro by Corrin strangely drawing the line at enemies getting imprisoned, and Kotaro bizarrely thinking this is a valid reason to kill off the entire Nohrian royal family. And despite it being established that Garon executes people just for being in the same room as him he strangely doesn't think that Corrin's actions leading to the loss of an allied nation being any reason to punish him. 

The story doesn't just say that Corrin is significantly more pure than anyone else but it also tries to depict the Corrin's as inherently better than anyone else. The story tries really hard to give us the impression that Corrin is never wrong while at the same time having Corrin frequently be wrong. Corrin very easily walks in just about every trap the villains lay for him but everyone trust in their wisdom. The story says Corrin was such a good leader that even as a toddler he shined brighter than Ryoma, but at the same time the story depicts Corrin as incredibly delicate and needing his siblings to hold his hand all the time to prevent them from being killed or captured. In a story where Corrin is as amazing as everyone thinks he is the siblings should never have been able to tell Corrin he's free to keep messing up as much as he likes because they'll gladly save him from his mistakes. 

I'd say Corrin is well written in the personality department, but from a writing perspective the story tried to have it both ways. They tried making Corrin a wish fulfillment character who's always right and who never fails, while at the same time making them extremely delicate and overly naive. It would have worked better if they committed to either one of those rather than trying to do them both. 

28 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

They tried making Corrin a wish fulfillment character who's always right and who never fails, while at the same time making them extremely delicate and overly naive. It would have worked better if they committed to either one of those rather than trying to do them both. 

So either make him like Alm, or make him like NewMystery!Marth? :lol:

Well, the wish fulfillment self insert protagonist has been done before Alm. I think I would file Roy, maybe Ephraim, Ike, and Robin as such.

--

RE: Voice acting: Looking back at my limited exposure to 3H, I think that the fully voiced support convos highlighted the oddness of a silent protagonist to me. Characters talk to a wall, while (naturally) complementing the wall on how good a conversationist it is. When most, or all, of the dialogue is text only, I personally find it easier to expand the dialogue options to actual contributions in my head.

Ceterum censeo Silent Protagonist esse delendam. 

30 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For example the story fixes Corrin needing to work with the shady Kotaro by Corrin strangely drawing the line at enemies getting imprisoned, and Kotaro bizarrely thinking this is a valid reason to kill off the entire Nohrian royal family. And despite it being established that Garon executes people just for being in the same room as him he strangely doesn't think that Corrin's actions leading to the loss of an allied nation being any reason to punish him. 

"You object to me taking an enemy combatant as a prisoner-of-war, yet you maintain a prison where you keep captured foes in your own pocket dimension. Curious."

- Kotaro, founder of Turning Point Mokushu

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think in that sense the writing for Corrin is pretty decent. The Corrin's really are as pure and wholesome as the story wants them to be, and on a personal level they're thus quite likable as a result. The world being determined to absolutely crush Corrin's purity also introduces some tragedy in the character. Its very easy to see why everyone would be so devoted to, and protective of Corrin.

The problem lies more in how Fates tries to maintain this purity, what effect it has on the story , how the story views Corrin, and how other characters react to Corrin. The story very strongly resist even the impression that Corrin might be doing something wrong. This often leads to the story trying to twists itself in all sorts of corners in order to insist that Corrin's hands stay clean while simultaneously taking an incredibly cowardly approach on the fallout of these actions. For example the story fixes Corrin needing to work with the shady Kotaro by Corrin strangely drawing the line at enemies getting imprisoned, and Kotaro bizarrely thinking this is a valid reason to kill off the entire Nohrian royal family. And despite it being established that Garon executes people just for being in the same room as him he strangely doesn't think that Corrin's actions leading to the loss of an allied nation being any reason to punish him. 

The story doesn't just say that Corrin is significantly more pure than anyone else but it also tries to depict the Corrin's as inherently better than anyone else. The story tries really hard to give us the impression that Corrin is never wrong while at the same time having Corrin frequently be wrong. Corrin very easily walks in just about every trap the villains lay for him but everyone trust in their wisdom. The story says Corrin was such a good leader that even as a toddler he shined brighter than Ryoma, but at the same time the story depicts Corrin as incredibly delicate and needing his siblings to hold his hand all the time to prevent them from being killed or captured. In a story where Corrin is as amazing as everyone thinks he is the siblings should never have been able to tell Corrin he's free to keep messing up as much as he likes because they'll gladly save him from his mistakes. 

I'd say Corrin is well written in the personality department, but from a writing perspective the story tried to have it both ways. They tried making Corrin a wish fulfillment character who's always right and who never fails, while at the same time making them extremely delicate and overly naive. It would have worked better if they committed to either one of those rather than trying to do them both. 

This sums up pretty well why I had such a problem with Corrin as a character. It's less their actual personality and more how the world revolves around them, and how many of the other characters (and reasonable human reactions to other people) bend over backwards to justify everything Corrin does.

Also, while this is certainly not limited solely to Corrin, IS seems convinced that any character they want the audience to like being ... well, not being either perfect or sympathetic or someone they can "fix" and romance is unappealing and will turn off players. In terms of Corrin and the avatars, it's because IS wants you to believe that this character is YOU, just because they say it is. In terms of characters like Xander and Edelgard, they think that letting them be morally sketchy will somehow make them less husbando or waifu, so they don't always get to face the true consequences of their actions.

Which is a fucking shame, honestly. One of my favorite video game characters, Neku Sakuraba from TWEWY, starts off the game as an absolute fucktard with little redeeming qualities, and what makes him amazing is how he changes throughout the game. IS has never really done a character like this, all the lords start off as likable human beings to some degree. It would be interesting to see some assface noble prince/princess struggle through hardship and become a great person.

Exactly and the worse part is that the world has to revolve around the avatar. Can I get called out on my bs Intys it really is immersion breaking when nobody calls me out on siding with Edelgard for revolution and murder including my other student which aren’t black eagles btw. I mean what makes a good likeable character is basically no matter how op or Mary Sue ish they are when they get called out and recked properly for their actions. God I made my OC a super human hero in danganronpa on my fic where he accidentally killed Fuyuhiko dad before class 77-b first aka pre despair and he just got owned by koichi in conversation and blackmailed at the same time. A freaking Keyblade ninja Naruto twin OC with Saiyan power recked by the Ultimate relent scout for it. Just Saiyan Intys I came up with that shit in 2 seconds for my fic and you had years btw

I didn't expect to get such a discussion started with half asleep comments before work, lol. I haven't played Revelations, so I don't know what goes on there. Fates was an interesting experience for me. I started the game thinking there's no way I'd find a character sweeter than Emmeryn... and then Elise happened!

Whenever I play Fates, I'm "White Mike" cause it doesn't let you be black or mixed or anything.

A lot of games make me do that. Perhaps Revelations will give me more answers. I kinda don't care though, cause I'll still love Elise the most!