What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

(Important note: I HC Corrin and Byleth as female, hence the "she" referral in this post.)

On 4/11/2022 at 1:02 AM, NaotoUzumaki said:

3Houses had a way too big cast like fates of character. It didn’t help that every story part was divided into months as chapters. Byleth relationships are just horrible. This game would have benefited from Byleth being voiced and not an avatar. I’ve seen many of my friends getting turned off by Byleth looking at Sothis blankly and trusting her that easily. Dude you have a spirit in your body and when you talk with her you get emotions that you should have. They say Byleth is a great strategist or smart merc but they don’t see red flags about that or their dad telling them to not trust Rhea. FYI I don’t mind Byleth becoming friends or more with Sothis but their build up with her and the church is just retarded. When fanfiction does better with MC and it an insult you know that there is something wrong. Byleth needed way more development than what they had for devions they made. A year teaching someone isn’t enough for a teacher to care about the face of its students. Naruto has a bond with Iruka because they knew each other for more than a year. Naruto entered the academy at 6 and left it at twelve so even though they didn’t became friends until Naruto graduated they still knew each other for like 6 years. 

See, there's a key difference though. It's true that 3H has a lot of focus characters instead of much more undeveloped characters. Really, it's a Byleth issue. I'm also in the camp of Byleth being the second-worst avatar, since for some reason IS both wanted to make her a character and a blank slate, but they just need to stop writing avatars already because all six of them (Mark, Kris, Robin, Corrin, Kiran, Byleth) so far have been varying degrees of Gary Stu/Mary Sue (it is for this reason I am worried about Shez). By writing the plot almost exclusively around the avatar their relationships are harder to properly implement because not everyone is going to get along with everyone. I'm not going to advocate the return of the GBAFE support system, but I would like IS to show some restraint (and if they MUST make the MC support with everyone at least give them unique, non-generic dynamics. There are actually a few Corrin supports that show off new sides to Corrin rather than her support partner, but Byleth doesn't get any of that).

On 4/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, NaotoUzumaki said:

It like danganronpa franchise to me and someone ask me who Sayaka is and I awnser who?

Local Danganronpa fan agrees that she's unmemorable if you haven't spent like half a year exclusively delving into DR. But that's not even the same argument, for DR you can group characters in groups of 16 by game and that makes it easier. Remembering who serves what role in one game and all that. I don't look at it as 48 DR characters, I see 16 DR1 characters, which is much easier to remember. Sayaka is the childhood friend who became an idol, Leon is the baseball pro who hates baseball, et cetera. I don't look at them in relation to the series, I look at them in relation to the rest of their cast.

Now, applying this same logic to Fire Emblem is more difficult, as you still have games like 3H that have like 40 total, fleshed-out characters. But even then that's only a fraction of the 700-ish playable characters in all of Fire Emblem. Even then, this group is branched into OTHER groups- like the 24 students being split into three main houses of eight apiece (that's half of your average Danganronpa cast actually), where you can remember them as part of their house. The smaller the group you look at, the easier it is to remember units in that group.

But that's where I agree with you- I don't think this game has too many characters, but in terms of support with Byleth, it forgets about the way those characters are grouped and treats all 39 support partners as individuals (save the house leaders, whose supports are obviously house-locked). Because of this, their supports all come off as an introduction to a newcomer (because that's pretty much what they are) rather than the evolution of an existing dynamic. This is actually something all avatars get wrong, but I find Byleth the worst offender because unlike Kris, Robin or Corrin, she doesn't have any actual dialogue to tell us who she is. Yet these people pour their hearts out to her and she never gets a chance to use her own identity to help them with their problems- you know, something support is supposed to be about. I barely remember any Byleth supports where Byleth helps anyone else get better because Byleth barely has an identity. (I like her support with Lysithea, but that's pretty much the only example I can think of.) Compare this to a support like Lorenz/Mercedes, where Mercedes helps Lorenz get over his feelings of superiority over the commoners he deems in need of protection, or Dorothea/Ferdinand, where Dorothea helps Ferdinand see past her being a pretty face to the warm heart underneath. Hell, this is present in other FE games- a support like Tharja/Gregor is a deep story about a man hurt by the death of his brother who seeks dark methods to speak with him again, and the reunion is so touching that Tharja doesn't even take his soul afterward.

In my opinion? The problem isn't with the size of the cast one bit. It mostly stems from the writers refusing to make Byleth a character, so their support partners have to carry their supports with her on their own... and I don't know about you, but Bernadetta and Raphael can't carry entire support chains without someone to bounce off of.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True hence why if Avatar must return I want them to be a playable generic village. The game over screen could just be that your character died but they still succeeded, you just weren’t there to see. Making an avatar the mc is stupid as it puts them in a bad and hard writing spots. Samurai Warriors 4 Empires did it good with Avatar as you pick a personality type and your Avatar DOESNT get along with everyone. All the avatar that I saw ( were Gary/Mary sues. Kris stole Marth shine. Robin was tied to the Final boss this needed to be there. Corrin is Literally his biological kid and three nation revolves around them. Byleth has just god herself in him/her. Everyone flocks to them. Really would it hurt Inty to just make the avatar a nobody? 

58 minutes ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Really would it hurt Inty to just make the avatar a nobody? 

They tried this with Mark (just a random tactician who fell asleep on the plains) and Kris (whose only background is being the grandchild of an altean knight). The former isn't even a character though, and Kris is... Kris.

1 hour ago, GlitchWarrior said:

They tried this with Mark (just a random tactician who fell asleep on the plains) and Kris (whose only background is being the grandchild of an altean knight). The former isn't even a character though, and Kris is... Kris.

Yeah. Kris is awesome!

The single greatest flaw of Fire Emblem Fates is not the fact that Revelation exists, but the fact that we are not yet the dystopian cyberpunk augmented ubermensch with the alcohol inhibitors necessary to properly play it: being sober for all of the gameplay and drunk for all of the story.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, Alastor15243 said:

The single greatest flaw of Fire Emblem Fates is not the fact that Revelation exists, but the fact that we are not yet the dystopian cyberpunk augmented ubermensch with the alcohol inhibitors necessary to properly play it: being sober for all of the gameplay and drunk for all of the story.

I don’t get it. Why would I need to be drunk to enjoy Fates?

On 4/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Tired: wielding a chainsaw katana

Wired: losing your arm and getting it replaced with a chainsaw katana

That said, speaking of drinking, I'd say 3H actually has the best drinking game of any of them. It's simple, really: take a drink whenever someone speaks a line in the format "_____ every last one of _____". Suddenly the background textures don't look so atrocious!

Great Shez has the Agarthan goddess  in him/her. It’s on the wikis rn. Can you please give a avatar without being related to the MC, Gods, or dragon, or all these. I want my avatar as a random nobody. Also every Avatar has being nothing but dog shit from Intys. Learn from the west and D&D you island Asian xenophobes 

Edited by NaotoUzumaki

6 hours ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Can you please give a avatar without being related to the MC, Gods, or dragon, or all these. I want my avatar as a random nobody.

5 hours ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

No Kris stole the spotlight and was the grand Child of an Atlean Knight. I want a random with no ties whatsoever 

So, Rook from Xenoblade Chronicles X?

16 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

So, Rook from Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Yes. I just don’t want it to steal the spot light. I want to earn it. I don’t want to be in the shoes of a specified backstory character. It kills immersion since it meant to be MY avatar. Hell support could work like bonding after a hard fight. Could even have an RNG about if it went well or not. 

Here's a random (I think) unpopular opinion I had recently:

I'd like a spinoff/mainline' game of Fire Emblem where the gameplay mechanics are more or less the same as all the other mainline FE games but the character designs are more over the top and ridiculous. Some may say it would be 'too anime'. Think character designs similar to TMS, Atelier games or XB2 with the fanservice toned down. The game also doesn't take place in some medieval fantasy setting that obviously draws inspiration from Europe but takes place in a world that's much more creative, unique and colourful.

I think it's unpopular because I don't see the current fanbase taking this type of FE game well since it will be 'too anime' but honestly, the character designs that are all inspired by Western cultures whilst great are starting to get a bit 'repetitive'. Maybe that's why even though the gameplay of Birthright is subpar, I still have a great appreciation for the Birthright cast with their character designs because it's finally something different.   

...Maybe I just want a mainline FE game that doesn't draw inspiration from Western cultures again (nothing against Western cultures but I just want something different setting wise for an FE game). 

Edited by zuibangde

1 hour ago, zuibangde said:

I'd like a spinoff/mainline' game of Fire Emblem where the gameplay mechanics are more or less the same as all the other mainline FE games but the character designs are more over the top and ridiculous. Some may say it would be 'too anime'. Think character designs similar to TMS, Atelier games or XB2 with the fanservice toned down. The game also doesn't take place in some medieval fantasy setting that obviously draws inspiration from Europe but takes place in a world that's much more creative, unique and colourful.

I think it's unpopular because I don't see the current fanbase taking this type of FE game well since it will be 'too anime' but honestly, the character designs that are all inspired by Western cultures whilst great are starting to get a bit 'repetitive'. Maybe that's why even though the gameplay of Birthright is subpar, I still have a great appreciation for the Birthright cast with their character designs because it's finally something different.   

...Maybe I just want a mainline FE game that doesn't draw inspiration from Western cultures again (nothing against Western cultures but I just want something different setting wise for an FE game). 

Sounds like a fun concept.

I don`t even know what is considered "too anime" for FE at this point,

I might have mentioned this earlier in this very thread, but I would like to see FE take inspiration from other parts of the world. Seeing plots inspired by the Grecco-Persian wars or Rome fighting the Gauls would be sweet in my opinion. Or even just countries inspired by, for example, Mespotemia, or India.

I don't know if this would be unpopular, but I think it would be cool to see a crossover spinoff between Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy that used some of Final Fantasy 7 Remake's action/turn-based hybrid gameplay. IS did plan a party-based RPG spinoff of Fire Emblem for the Wii before cancelling it, and I think this would be a cool way to realize it.

If Nintendo were ever to bring back the idea of that FE spinoff, they'd probably use Monolith Soft and Xenoblade to help make it, and I think that would honestly be a shame, as, while I really like the worlds Monolith Soft can create, the combat in their games have always been really bad. I think something like FF7R's combat would be a lot more fitting for an FE spinoff.

16 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I might have mentioned this earlier in this very thread, but I would like to see FE take inspiration from other parts of the world. Seeing plots inspired by the Grecco-Persian wars or Rome fighting the Gauls would be sweet in my opinion. Or even just countries inspired by, for example, Mespotemia, or India.

A Fire Emblem game that utilized Ancient Celtic civilization (Gauls, Britons, Gaels, Picts, etc.) would be really cool.

Shez good, I am down for them to be thought of as a full fledged Fire Emblem lord if Three Hopes is a hit. Literally only hated for the most arbitrary reasoning.

Oh boy am I glad that I'm saying this here in the unpopular Fire Emblem opinion thread...

I actually liked Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. I enjoyed the gameplay, characters, and even the story (to a point, but I still enjoyed it). Granted, I didn't like it to the extent of a game like Three Houses, but I had fun with Birthright and thought it was an decent game in the series. I'd go as far as to say that Birthright was a better game than Conquest in general. If Revelations didn't exist, I'd totally consider Birthright the canon route. 

(Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hide somewhere now)

2 hours ago, CyberZord said:

Oh boy am I glad that I'm saying this here in the unpopular Fire Emblem opinion thread...

I actually liked Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. I enjoyed the gameplay, characters, and even the story (to a point, but I still enjoyed it). Granted, I didn't like it to the extent of a game like Three Houses, but I had fun with Birthright and thought it was an decent game in the series. I'd go as far as to say that Birthright was a better game than Conquest in general. If Revelations didn't exist, I'd totally consider Birthright the canon route. 

(Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hide somewhere now)

I don't think that's too big an unpopular opinion. As far as I see the general feelings on Birthright is more or less a giant "meh". No one hates on it too hard, but no one gushes about it either. It's seen as not overly ambitious, but still competent (in both story and gameplay).

Edited by Jotari

I think Fire Emblem should drop the Manakete species going insane just for the human characters to be on top and also I'm tired of fighting an insane dragon. With Medeus, he was kind of right, he saw that his kind were being mistreated and took action but he took the wrong course of Action. The same can be said for the beast races but they rarely ever play a part in the story and we know little to nothing about the ones who aren't Laguz. Like if Ylisse is supposed to be fast forward Archanea, where were the Taguel during the War of Shadows?

Edited by OutcastsofRelix

2 hours ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

I think Fire Emblem should drop the Manakete species going insane just for the human characters to be on top and also I'm tired of fighting an insane dragon. With Medeus, he was kind of right, he saw that his kind were being mistreated and took action but he took the wrong course of Action. The same can be said for the beast races but they rarely ever play a part in the story and we know little to nothing about the ones who aren't Laguz. Like if Ylisse is supposed to be fast forward Archanea, where were the Taguel during the War of Shadows?

They did drop that plot point from the years 1996-2010. Hell even in absolute terms it's only in, like, three games, four if you include remakes (that's magical insanity, Rhea is just naturally bonkers when pushed too far). Insane dragons really isn't that over played a trope in Fire Emblem. It's only seen a slight recent revival with Fates and Shadows of Valentia, which for Shadows of Valentia at least I appreciated as a nice nod to continuity. We've probably had more insane human enemies than dragons in the series, at least if you count by named characters.

Edited by Jotari

1 - Fates is an okay game. It really, really could've been done better. Awakening still has it's issues, and I don't find it perfect either.
2 - Corrin would've been more interesting if they were a morally grey lord.

3 - For the love of god Laslow, Inigo & Owain should've played a bigger role in Revelations.