What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

The gold bar-farming one is definitely useful since that's the only practical way to get those iirc, which is nice for Spendthrift. Otherwise yeah, they're kinda filler skills, but so it goes. If you feel they should be stronger, they could have upped the rate, but I think upping the number of turns would have been a mistake.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cinematics for Fates has the best CG animation, but many suck because you can't see your avatar, and have to look through their eyes for everything.

I'd rather play an actual character and not be able to customize them rather than be a blank slate. If a game has to bend over backwards to accommodate for character customization and sacrifice a lot for it, it's usually not worth it.

Shadows of Valentia has the best art style of any FE game. I will not budge on this.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The gold bar-farming one is definitely useful since that's the only practical way to get those iirc, which is nice for Spendthrift. Otherwise yeah, they're kinda filler skills, but so it goes. If you feel they should be stronger, they could have upped the rate, but I think upping the number of turns would have been a mistake.

Spendthrift is another skill I struggle to consider worth it, to be frank. Unless you're Corrin, because you have convoy access all the time. Heck, I'd argue it's one of those skills that is better in enemy hands than player hands, largely because those gold bars that are needed to fuel it take up inventory space that I could've used for a healing item or another weapon. Anyways, I'd say that Profiteer should have been something like 2 or even 3 gold bars if the rate was to be that low and it was to be a dead skill after only seven turns. I cannot get excited over only one.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's an interesting question to consider. One way or the other the skill's real effect is gaining an average of X amount of resources per map. You can hit X by increasing the rate per drop, or you can hit X by increasing the number of turns it's available. Since turns are in the equation, one needs look at how many turns a player is expected to spend on a map. To which seven seems slightly low for Fates. I don't have my copy of Fates hanging around now to check for sure, but I feel like I wouldn't be finishing many maps in seven turns. I'd say a typical Fates map is somewhere in the range of 13-15 turns, so these seven turn skills are active for approximately the first half of the map. This encourages speedy play somewhat, as you aren't penalized for taking longer to clear a map. On the other hand, if it were extended to 15 turns, it might encourage you to hang around a few turns longer than you might need to, which, while it's the players choice, just feels wrong from a gameplay perspective. I think ten turns is a happy medium. While, even though it's only a perception, upping the rate, but lowering the turns gives a feeling that the skill is useless half the time. Unless you up it so far that it's a guaranteed 100% on turn one (though I'm guessing if you up the characters luck a lot you can get much better resource gathering than an average of one per map under the current set up).

Course as far as abusing the skill goes, there's absolutely nothing stopping you right now from opening up the gold farming map, ignoring the enemies and just end turning with Keaton and Midori for 7 turns. One could argue that a turn free limit wouldn't be the worst thing as, while abuseable, it's fully up to the player to actually abuse it. It could also be infinite turn, but come with a safety guard of only proccing 3-5 times per map or something.

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Spendthrift is another skill I struggle to consider worth it, to be frank. Unless you're Corrin, because you have convoy access all the time. Heck, I'd argue it's one of those skills that is better in enemy hands than player hands, largely because those gold bars that are needed to fuel it take up inventory space that I could've used for a healing item or another weapon. Anyways, I'd say that Profiteer should have been something like 2 or even 3 gold bars if the rate was to be that low and it was to be a dead skill after only seven turns. I cannot get excited over only one.

Spendthrift's one of those skills you'll probably only use a very small number of times per playthrough (especially considering how late you get it) but it can be extremely decisive. On my most recent no-reset run of Conquest, for instance, it was instrumental in my setup to kill the final boss in one attack, which allowed me to very safely and quickly defeat an otherwise challenging map. You're right about the inventory space, but you can also use a pairup character to handle them. Again, as a recent example, I used Keaton, who only has a maximum of three useful weapons, so it was little imposition for him to carry two gold bars. Trade being, of course, a free action to grab one if needed.

It's better in enemy hands, but  that's because it's downright busted in enemy hands.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's an interesting question to consider. One way or the other the skill's real effect is gaining an average of X amount of resources per map. You can hit X by increasing the rate per drop, or you can hit X by increasing the number of turns it's available. Since turns are in the equation, one needs look at how many turns a player is expected to spend on a map. To which seven seems slightly low for Fates. I don't have my copy of Fates hanging around now to check for sure, but I feel like I wouldn't be finishing many maps in seven turns. I'd say a typical Fates map is somewhere in the range of 13-15 turns, so these seven turn skills are active for approximately the first half of the map. This encourages speedy play somewhat, as you aren't penalized for taking longer to clear a map. On the other hand, if it were extended to 15 turns, it might encourage you to hang around a few turns longer than you might need to, which, while it's the players choice, just feels wrong from a gameplay perspective. I think ten turns is a happy medium. While, even though it's only a perception, upping the rate, but lowering the turns gives a feeling that the skill is useless half the time. Unless you up it so far that it's a guaranteed 100% on turn one (though I'm guessing if you up the characters luck a lot you can get much better resource gathering than an average of one per map under the current set up).

Course as far as abusing the skill goes, there's absolutely nothing stopping you right now from opening up the gold farming map, ignoring the enemies and just end turning with Keaton and Midori for 7 turns. One could argue that a turn free limit wouldn't be the worst thing as, while abuseable, it's fully up to the player to actually abuse it. It could also be infinite turn, but come with a safety guard of only proccing 3-5 times per map or something.

Yeah, far more often than not, I take way more than seven turns to clear maps. Anyways, yeah I wouldn't be opposed to nixing the turn limit, and imposing a hard limit on how many times it can proc on a map. It might actually make them semi-useful; as is, I consider them near useless because they have a non-trivial chance of not yielding anything within the tight turn limit, especially Keaton's personal, and the yield is really underwhelming.

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Spendthrift's one of those skills you'll probably only use a very small number of times per playthrough (especially considering how late you get it) but it can be extremely decisive. On my most recent no-reset run of Conquest, for instance, it was instrumental in my setup to kill the final boss in one attack, which allowed me to very safely and quickly defeat an otherwise challenging map. You're right about the inventory space, but you can also use a pairup character to handle them. Again, as a recent example, I used Keaton, who only has a maximum of three useful weapons, so it was little imposition for him to carry two gold bars. Trade being, of course, a free action to grab one if needed.

It's better in enemy hands, but  that's because it's downright busted in enemy hands.

Sure, the effect is nothing to sneeze at, but who exactly would be expected to pick it up?? Mozu? Midori?

On 6/20/2022 at 6:35 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Sure, the effect is nothing to sneeze at, but who exactly would be expected to pick it up?? Mozu? Midori?

Yeah, it's not too many people who I'd expect to get it. Those two, as well as Mozu's A+/S supporters and child (and potentially Corrin, I suppose). Optimally you'd want someone who is using either lances or bows anyway so the time in Merchant isn't a complete wash.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:29 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah, it's not too many people who I'd expect to get it. Those two, as well as Mozu's A+/S supporters and child (and potentially Corrin, I suppose). Optimally you'd want someone who is using either lances or bows anyway so the time in Merchant isn't a complete wash.

Erm, don't Mozu's A+/S supporters get Achacha Archer instead? 

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 5:10 AM, Imuabicus said:

Critical hits should always be lethal

This feels like a significant nerf to defence-based tanks. Now you can't use them against enemies with critical hit rates (while dodgetanks and other strategies still work just fine). I do like there being more ways to manipulate critical rate though.

52 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

This feels like a significant nerf to defence-based tanks. Now you can't use them against enemies with critical hit rates (while dodgetanks and other strategies still work just fine). I do like there being more ways to manipulate critical rate though.

A pretty obvious buff to Armors would be granting them immunity to Critical hits. For other units, perhaps a rare shield could grant crit immunity in its own right. This would reinforce your tank's defensive credentials, especially in a hypothetical game where crits now one-shot. I'm not necessarily even on board with such a model, but I do think that crits need to be more threatening than "0 times 3 is still 0".

26 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

A pretty obvious buff to Armors would be granting them immunity to Critical hits. For other units, perhaps a rare shield could grant crit immunity in its own right. This would reinforce your tank's defensive credentials, especially in a hypothetical game where crits now one-shot. I'm not necessarily even on board with such a model, but I do think that crits need to be more threatening than "0 times 3 is still 0".

I would like some kind of benefit to having the armour status. Flying and mounts let you canto or ignore terrain by being of the status, but having the armour icon is a straight nerf. Being a defense based infantry with stats of an armour like Hector is just straight preferable than being an actual armoured unit (not that player units really need to worry all that much about anti armour weaponry).

57 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm not necessarily even on board with such a model, but I do think that crits need to be more threatening than "0 times 3 is still 0".

Hoping for something similar to how Berwick Saga handles crits?

For explanation Berwick Saga crits add a random amount of damage to the attack between 10 and 20 (note if the target has more defense than the user's attack, the bonus crit damage is not reduced).

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I would like some kind of benefit to having the armour status. Flying and mounts let you canto or ignore terrain by being of the status, but having the armour icon is a straight nerf. Being a defense based infantry with stats of an armour like Hector is just straight preferable than being an actual armoured unit (not that player units really need to worry all that much about anti armour weaponry).

"I've been saying that for years!" - Gilbert Gottfried

On 7/3/2022 at 7:10 AM, Imuabicus said:

Critical hits should always be lethal, unless Miracle or a Dragonskin like skill proccs but in exchange equipment, consumables, skills and commands should be available to manipulate the chances, both to crit and avoit crits. 

You might as well give everyone Lethality then. Also, as someone who has long wanted critical hits to be made weaker, I disagree with this.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:51 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

This feels like a significant nerf to defence-based tanks.

Nothing speaks against adding anything to armoured units that differentiates the from regular units beyond -1 Mov.

Such as permanent in-class dmg reduction on top of the DEF stat. 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, Shadow Mir said:

You might as well give everyone Lethality then.

I don´t think the difference between a crit and Lethality needs an explanation.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Also, as someone who has long wanted critical hits to be made weaker, I disagree with this.

I disagree with your disagreement.

Crits are like wasps. Mostly unwelcomed, ultimately negligible.

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

I don´t think the difference between a crit and Lethality needs an explanation.

But wait, isnt your idea to make crits instant kills essentially turning them into Lethality?

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, Benice said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion (it probably isn't), but it's something I've not seen discussed much: I think an FE4 remake should include an emulator-style turbo mode, even if it means the game has to look like a potato to be able to run that way. I feel like there's too much in each phase to make full-on phase skipping a good idea, but vanilla FE4's enemy phases take an eternity without emulator speedup.

I don't think so, strategy games shouldn't be designed around turbo modes. An FE4 remake should have improvements that make it less tedious to play instead.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

All lances should be effective against Horses.

Reminds me of Triangle Strategy, where horse units are weak to lance weapons.

I don`t hate Three Hopes Claude. In fact, I kinda wish they leaned further into his pragmatism and him alienating his allies. My gripes are that

Spoiler

1) Him making Leicester a Federation changes nothing. He still has meetings, him being King is no different from him being the Alliance leader and nothing that requires him being King happens at any point. It makes me wonder why they made him King in the first place.

2) He only has to suffer consequences from his actions if you don`t recruit Byleth. If you do, his plan works perfectly with no drawbacks

3) His intense hate-boner for Rhea, in my opinion, is poorly justified. She does nothing that makes his extreme dislike of her feel earned.