What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

I don't want to pile on too much because this IS the unpopular opinions thread after all, but I too will echo that I'm surprised Zofia Castle is hyped up as particularly hard.  When I heard the early game hype for Clive, I was nodding along, but exclusively because of the pre-Mathilda C3 maps which actually can be rather dangerous (forest of dark mages, Fernand & Berkut out for blood, etc.).  The enemy is very passive in Zofia Castle - if you're not trying to LTC things, you can just send everyone up the "right" side, double back down, and carefully inch forward with a nice safe chokepoint to double back to whenever you need thanks to the stairs up to the rampart.  If you do care about your turncount, you can more aggressively just walk in, just probably requires Warping Alm up on top of the right rampart to clear out the archer.  The map isn't free or anything, but it is very fair, while some other maps have some rather nasty gimmicks or lack of chokepoints to have a lot more things potentially go wrong.

And yeah, killing Desaix can potentially make the map much trickier, but that is solely a style thing.  

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, SnowFire said:

I don't want to pile on too much because this IS the unpopular opinions thread after all, but I too will echo that I'm surprised Zofia Castle is hyped up as particularly hard.  When I heard the early game hype for Clive, I was nodding along, but exclusively because of the pre-Mathilda C3 maps which actually can be rather dangerous (forest of dark mages, Fernand & Berkut out for blood, etc.).  The enemy is very passive in Zofia Castle - if you're not trying to LTC things, you can just send everyone up the "right" side, double back down, and carefully inch forward with a nice safe chokepoint to double back to whenever you need thanks to the stairs up to the rampart.  If you do care about your turncount, you can more aggressively just walk in, just probably requires Warping Alm up on top of the right rampart to clear out the archer.  The map isn't free or anything, but it is very fair, while some other maps have some rather nasty gimmicks or lack of chokepoints to have a lot more things potentially go wrong.

And yeah, killing Desaix can potentially make the map much trickier, but that is solely a style thing.  

Well I think the person who said Sophia Castle is hard is also the one who advocated for grinding, right? So presumably if their play style is to over grind their characters then they'd find an early map like Zofia Castle harder than later maps as there hasn't been as much time to snowball stats.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well I think the person who said Sophia Castle is hard is also the one who advocated for grinding, right? So presumably if their play style is to over grind their characters then they'd find an early map like Zofia Castle harder than later maps as there hasn't been as much time to snowball stats.

They never really advocated for overgrinding units (let alone overgrinding in Act 1), they just brought up how you could grind Clive 1 level so he can promote into a Paladin for Zofia Castle and then using him like a normal unit for him to gain levels in Act 3. Anyways, I'm very certain they chose Zofia Castle as the hardest map because of the +20 Avo floor tiles that are practically everywhere on the map to make things tedious and unreliable, everyone knows Desaix is optional and a pain to deal with so I doubt this was the reason why. 

Edited by Wuzzy

8 hours ago, Wuzzy said:

Anyways, I'm very certain they chose Zofia Castle as the hardest map because of the +20 Avo floor tiles that are practically everywhere on the map to make things tedious and unreliable

But then why should Zofia Castle get the nod over, say, Grieth's Citadel, which has the same crap, but you also have a cantor for added aggravation? 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:42 AM, Imuabicus said:

last I checked FEplayers thought grinding is the opposite of efficient

On 5/31/2023 at 9:42 AM, Imuabicus said:

the fact that the most efficient ways to grind is DLC and there being a low chance of getting destroyed by a rare spawn (which may or may not have happened to me) convinces me otherwise, unless ofc you get a Kaga source for that.

You're not up to date with the SoV meta, are you?

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Gaining a single level with a character so that everything else becomes simpler overgrind

11 hours ago, SnowFire said:

I don't want to pile on too much because this IS the unpopular opinions thread after all, but I too will echo that I'm surprised Zofia Castle is hyped up as particularly hard. 

53 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

But then why should Zofia Castle get the nod over, say, Grieth's Citadel, which has the same crap, but you also have a cantor for added aggravation? 

Expanding on what Muzzy said above, in addition to those pesky avoid tiles, your units just plain suck. The best ways to deal damage are the Lightning Sword and Tobin's crits with Excalibur. Meanwhile, maps like Grieth's Citadel or Nuibaba's Abode are far enough in the game that you'll likely have more ways to make the experience less painful. It can be immensely helpful if you do Alm's Act 3 first and send a Killer Bow to Celica, it enables Leon to do things like that.

You probably won't be as well prepared as this guy, this is just an example.

One more example: in Dolth's Keep you will have your Dread Fighter with a Brave Sword, Celica and Mae with Seraphim, Palla and Catria with Blessed and Leon (and Atlas if you made him an archer) with the Killer Bow to deal with enemies. In Zofia's Castle, your options are limited, so it's going to be a slow march to victory.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

You're not up to date with the SoV meta, are you?

no but I fully expect you to give me ye ole ltc argument or presenting an otherwise "optimal" playstyle and considering that all the math I did to show even a little of how little Clive adds went entirely unnoticed, so in order for me to retire from this discussion do go ahead and:

Spoiler

Expanding on what Muzzy said above, in addition to those pesky avoid tiles, your units just plain suck.

bruh

BRUH

on a side note, the vid mentions this and says specifically that you can just not fight on them tiles; touching grass isnt a clive exclusive ability

Meanwhile, maps like Grieth's Citadel or Nuibaba's Abode are far enough in the game that you'll likely have more ways to make the experience less painful.

and clives not gonna be present on either of those

they are both more painful than zofia castle; shitass map design I can excuse - I enjoy the snow shovelling of rev because loot; shitass maps with a shit gimmick (cantor spam of trash + sand movement and Medusa or w/e on the other hand) are infinitely more annoying than a slow walk to victory

In Zofia's Castle, your options are limited, so it's going to be a slow march to victory.

and it´s not gonna be made any faster by clive either

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Expanding on what Muzzy said above, in addition to those pesky avoid tiles, your units just plain suck. The best ways to deal damage are the Lightning Sword and Tobin's crits with Excalibur. Meanwhile, maps like Grieth's Citadel or Nuibaba's Abode are far enough in the game that you'll likely have more ways to make the experience less painful. It can be immensely helpful if you do Alm's Act 3 first and send a Killer Bow to Celica, it enables Leon to do things like that.

You probably won't be as well prepared as this guy, this is just an example.

One more example: in Dolth's Keep you will have your Dread Fighter with a Brave Sword, Celica and Mae with Seraphim, Palla and Catria with Blessed and Leon (and Atlas if you made him an archer) with the Killer Bow to deal with enemies. In Zofia's Castle, your options are limited, so it's going to be a slow march to victory.

Bruh

This sounds so ass backwards I don't know where to start. You know what else is a slow march to victory? Chapters 7 and 8 of Revelation. Except there I have to rely very heavily on Corrin because most of what else I have can't take many hits. A slow march to victory sounds much better than having to rely heavily on one unit because everyone else starts at a low power level compared to the enemies, let alone having to deal with gimmicks that slow things down further. Zofia Castle doesn't have me with anything fancy, but I don't need anything fancy to clear it. On the flipside, if I need something like Hunter's Volley to make the likes of Grieth's Citadel not look so painful... that shows, well, that it is.

Edited by Shadow Mir

With all this Clive and Mathilda talk, it is time for me to unveil what will probably be a bit of an unpopular opinion, that the Cavalier line is one of the worst classes in Shadows of Valencia. The only one I can think of competing for the bottom is the Knight line, and there are a few early chapters where they shine enough that I think it is debatable which should take that bottom slot.

Hmm.  I'll grant that if you're trying to keep turn count low, Zofia Castle has a lot more bite - I remember it being pretty crazy when I tried charging through the front gate on my Blitzkrieg playthrough.  That said, while turn-expensive, I feel like walking around the upper right entry to the ramparts isn't very real-time expensive, especially compared to grinding.  If somebody made a hack where all the Zofia Castle enemies had +3 to all stats and turn count wasn't that important...  see MS Paint red circled area: after taking that part of the ramparts, just have Lukas and/or Alm rotate on chokepoint duty in front of those stairs, while any archers or mages rain hell down below, and either Silque or consumables are used if Lukas / Alm get too wounded and need to back off.  Nothing really stopping you from just fighting there as much as possible.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I did a "no optional recruits" run of Alm route...  well, sort of.  Faye & Kliff waited for Celica, Silque chilled out at the Thieves Shrine, Python & Forsythe guarded the Deliverance HQ, Mathilda inexplicably never left Desaix's Fort, etc.  This is exactly the kind of run that would make Clive extra-good, right?  But I still don't think he made that much of a splash.  (Okay, in fairness, it wasn't a true no optional recruits run: I let Alm collect the DLC Cipher crew, as going truly Saint-less would have been hardcore with no Silque or Tatiana.  And Randal definitely ended up the Cavalier of choice.  Still, it did help Clive's viability, just...  not enough to be a lategame star without the XP focusing.)

echoes_snip2.png

15 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Gaining a single level with a character so that everything else becomes simpler overgrind

I'm just trying to rationalize why you would see Zofia Castle the hardest map in the game when it seems most people see it as a fairly straight forward early game chapter.

Edited by Jotari

Am I really the only one who didn't have too much of an issue with these maps in Echoes?

They were a bit long but I don't recall having too much trouble, I honestly had more trouble with Fates Pre-route.

Unless it's purely length if you know what you're doing, as opposed to having to reset constantly.

Like I genuienly don't recall having issues with Zofia Castle, the only time it was difficult was the DLC version.

Odin is overrated. Because honestly, his stat spread focusing on HP, skill and luck is something that I hesitate to call anything besides lackluster. That would doom him to be a lesser unit in pretty much any FE game, and to be blunt, I fail to see why Fates is any different.

Also, it seems that every character discussion video thinks Sol is worth it, but again, I think they overrate it to Valla and back. Why in the seven hells would I consider a 20-30% chance to drain half the damage I do to be a worthy uss of a skill slot? And more to the point, why the fuck would I use a Sol Master Ninja over, well, an actual tank that doesn't need to gamble to hold a line???

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

And more to the point, why the fuck would I use a Sol Master Ninja over, well, an actual tank that doesn't need to gamble to hold a line???

Because if you give the class to someone who's already a tank, most notably Silas, then they get strong physical 1-2 range, which is nearly impossible in Fates otherwise. Sol is just an added safety net on a build that is already sturdier than you'd think.

As for Odin, have you watched any of the videos of him in action? Like, any of them?

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

As for Odin, have you watched any of the videos of him in action? Like, any of them?

I'm quite sure the two of you have had this exact conversation multiple times before.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:54 AM, Alastor15243 said:

Because if you give the class to someone who's already a tank, most notably Silas, then they get strong physical 1-2 range, which is nearly impossible in Fates otherwise. Sol is just an added safety net on a build that is already sturdier than you'd think.

To be blunt... It sounds as worth it as the Dragonspine Spear in Genshin - jumping through a shitload of hoops only to get something that was hardly worth the time and resource investment when I can get something that does its job better with less investment. *Especially* on Conquest, where I get fucking Xander as well as Benny, the (physical) tanks to end all tanks. Also, shuriken in general are weak without forging; the strongest shuriken that doesn't have any big downsides or isn't extremely limited in terms of who can use it is only 7 might. And again, only a fool would bank on a 20-30% chance of draining half the damage dealt that might proc at the wrong time or worse, not even proc at all. I've seen more than enough Sol Master Ninjas become corpses to know that you're better off not relying on dumb luck - Emphasis on *dumb*.

Oh, I have seen him in action, all right. And I have *not* been impressed. At all. Which is a shame, as he went from being good in Awakening (even if getting the best out of him wasn't that intuitive) to the king of mediocre.

Anyways...

Siegbert is the worst child unit in Fates. I'm not sure about what the consensus on who the worst child unit in Fates is, but honestly, for how much of a pain in the arse his paralogue is, I'd have expected him to be better than what he ends up being. It's not just the fact that he's practically doomed to be in Xander's shadow either (which especially stings considering that to get him, I'd have to have used Xander a lot ANYWAY). It's also that Sophie is better (even compared to her father, who I find to be overhyped and mediocre), easier to get (because her paralogue is only a defeat boss instead of a rout with extra conditions, and especially considering that Xander joins only a couple chapters before enemies in paralogues start promoting - and I'ma be honest, post-promotion Siegbert paralogue is a hell I'd not wish on anyone), and can be gotten much earlier.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think the best way to handle mistakes is to just ignore them rather than doubling down and try to make it better. Fire Emblem isn't always very good at this though.

Three Hopes is a good example. Thales role in Azure Glean was probably Koei and IS trying to salvage a pretty mediocre villain and finally giving him his chance to shine. But the result forced us to believe that a joke villain like Thales could overthrow Edelgard despite him and his faction already being established as a joke. Thales suddenly becoming a big deal didn't fix him, but instead just broke immersion while simultaneously committing character assassination on Edelgard. Thales staying in his lane as a joke villain would ensure he'd remain a mediocre villain, but at least the game wouldn't force him in a position he's in no way equipped to handle. 

The deeprealms are another instance. Occasionally in FEH the second gens still bring it up which just highlight how extremely silly it all is. They're in a fresh new world so just use the chance to completely ignore the existence of the deeprealms rather than trying to remind us of that mistake. Pretend they're just kids from the future or dodge the subject completely. 

Example of other series would be Naruto. The show ending by aliens randomly invading the ninja world was rather contentious. The sequel gave the series a clean slate but rather than admit aliens randomly invading was a mistake they doubled down and made the alien invasion the core plot point of the sequels, rather than ignore it as they should have done. Or how in Star Wars there are probably dozens of EU book explaining how ''somehow Palpatine returned'' makes sense when....no. Just admit its a failed plotline and move on.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Sometimes I think the best way to handle mistakes is to just ignore them rather than doubling down and try to make it better. Fire Emblem isn't always very good at this though.

Three Hopes is a good example. Thales role in Azure Glean was probably Koei and IS trying to salvage a pretty mediocre villain and finally giving him his chance to shine. But the result forced us to believe that a joke villain like Thales could overthrow Edelgard despite him and his faction already being established as a joke. Thales suddenly becoming a big deal didn't fix him, but instead just broke immersion while simultaneously committing character assassination on Edelgard. Thales staying in his lane as a joke villain would ensure he'd remain a mediocre villain, but at least the game wouldn't force him in a position he's in no way equipped to handle. 

The deeprealms are another instance. Occasionally in FEH the second gens still bring it up which just highlight how extremely silly it all is. They're in a fresh new world so just use the chance to completely ignore the existence of the deeprealms rather than trying to remind us of that mistake. Pretend they're just kids from the future or dodge the subject completely. 

Example of other series would be Naruto. The show ending by aliens randomly invading the ninja world was rather contentious. The sequel gave the series a clean slate but rather than admit aliens randomly invading was a mistake they doubled down and made the alien invasion the core plot point of the sequels, rather than ignore it as they should have done. Or how in Star Wars there are probably dozens of EU book explaining how ''somehow Palpatine returned'' makes sense when....no. Just admit its a failed plotline and move on.

While I definitely would describe Thales as a mediocre villain, I don't think he was ever meant to be a joke of a villain. Like, for a very basic metric, they never attempt any humor with him. He's me serious face the entire time and I do get the impression the game wants you to view him as threatening even if it's never backed up by anything other than the visuals (and uniquely having the quake spell). That said, yes they were definitely compensating for Dimitri not fighting the Agarthans and it probably wasn't the best path to take. On the other hand what other options did they have that wouldn't be rethreading Azure Moon?

Thankfully, at the very least, Three Hopes chose to ignore the Javelins of Light, imo probably the worst plot element in the entirety of Fire Emblem (though funnily enough one that probably would have made Thales feel threatening in Azure Gleam).

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

While I definitely would describe Thales as a mediocre villain, I don't think he was ever meant to be a joke of a villain. Like, for a very basic metric, they never attempt any humor with him. He's me serious face the entire time and I do get the impression the game wants you to view him as threatening even if it's never backed up by anything other than the visuals (and uniquely having the quake spell). That said, yes they were definitely compensating for Dimitri not fighting the Agarthans and it probably wasn't the best path to take. On the other hand what other options did they have that wouldn't be rethreading Azure Moon?

Perhaps not Thales himself but his faction seems constantly hounded by misfortune. From losing control of their beasties, standing on top of the poison swamp they themselves summoned, losing their vallued disguises because they can't resist being really evil for no gain or getting casually crushed off screen. And this reflects on Thales when he tries acting like an imposing villain without realizing he has a gaggle of clowns behind him. 

37 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Perhaps not Thales himself but his faction seems constantly hounded by misfortune. From losing control of their beasties, standing on top of the poison swamp they themselves summoned, losing their vallued disguises because they can't resist being really evil for no gain or getting casually crushed off screen. And this reflects on Thales when he tries acting like an imposing villain without realizing he has a gaggle of clowns behind him. 

Sure but they also murdered all of Edelgard's family and fucked Dimitri up for life with the tragedy of Duscur. And they've been competent enough to fight a shadow war against Rhea for over a thousand years and somehow never even reveal their presence to Rhea. Once the war begins they also successfully seize half of Fhargus (or however it's spelled). The Agarthans are poorly written and often needlessly evil, but they're not actually that incompetent (well except when it comes to their strategic use of icbms...as all three times we've seen them use it they've somehow managed to blow up their own fortresses).

And, at the end of the day, it's not like villains can't be jokes and threatening at the same time. Compare and contrast the Begnion senate, who are in many ways similar characters. And I think a lot more effort went in to making them seem jokey and pathetic. But they're still threatening, competent and dangerous. Just dangerous pompous fools.

Edited by Jotari

I don't think the slithers come across as very competent, but that is mostly because what they are up to in part 1 is either poorly explained or just without any rhyme or reason. They just do some evil stuff with very little purpose other then to draw attention to themselves.

Solon just casually throws away a valuable disguise for a random experiment that never gets used again.

I think they needed Flayn's blood to make crest beasts, but I also don't think they ever quite say that for certain.

And the only thing that they accomplished by turning students into monsters was that they where discovered really easily and lost two of their commanders. They (probably) could have turned people into monsters everywhere else.

Even the death of Geralt wasn't so much of a plan, but more Kronya throwing a temper tantrum.

I would agree that Thales is a mediocre villain but not really an outright joke. I think he exists in an awkward space where he has to be competent in some ways (the way he has basically gained control of the Adrestian Empire at the start of the game as well as destabilizing the Kingdom) but also distinctly not in other ways (terrible use of the javelins, getting himself killed at Derdriu). To some extent this is necessary because Thales's on-paper position at the start of the game is so strong, he almost has to bungle his starting hand such that he always loses.  Of course, Kronya and Solon are also both impulsive and make poor decisions as well... Cornelia seems to do a bit better generally.

To some extent I sympathize with getting him one route out of seven where Thales actually feels like the primary antagonist. I don't care for his role in that route because the magical brainwashing is a bad trope in a vacuum and an even worse one in this game (since if he could do that, he would badly want to do it on every other route as well). I think it's certainly possible the devs were trying to make him more of a threat, but my suspicion is that the writers of Hopes had marching orders that no route could ultimately focus on lord-versus-lord, so Thales staging a coup on Edelgard was one way to make that happen.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

And, at the end of the day, it's not like villains can't be jokes and threatening at the same time. Compare and contrast the Begnion senate, who are in many ways similar characters. And I think a lot more effort went in to making them seem jokey and pathetic. But they're still threatening, competent and dangerous. Just dangerous pompous fools.

Yeah, I actually quite like the Begnion senate! A lot more than the Agarthans. I think it's partly because they feel very real to me. Lekain is a conceited blowhard, but he has political savvy, lots of power, and access to fancy magic besides, and this combination makes him incredibly dangerous; he manages to accomplish many terrible things in his life before he is finally stopped. The other thing I like better about the senate is that every terrible thing they do, they do for an understandable and human reasons - to gain power and wealth. The Agarthans frequently do evil things for no stated reason except that they are evil. There are speculations about what the point of e.g. Remire was, but the Watsonian explanation is simple: they do it to show the player They Are Bad.

Also agree that the javelins of light are an excellent example of what Etrurian Emperor is talking about.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I would agree that Thales is a mediocre villain but not really an outright joke. I think he exists in an awkward space where he has to be competent in some ways (the way he has basically gained control of the Adrestian Empire at the start of the game as well as destabilizing the Kingdom) but also distinctly not in other ways (terrible use of the javelins, getting himself killed at Derdriu). To some extent this is necessary because Thales's on-paper position at the start of the game is so strong, he almost has to bungle his starting hand such that he always loses.  Of course, Kronya and Solon are also both impulsive and make poor decisions as well... Cornelia seems to do a bit better generally.

To some extent I sympathize with getting him one route out of seven where Thales actually feels like the primary antagonist. I don't care for his role in that route because the magical brainwashing is a bad trope in a vacuum and an even worse one in this game (since if he could do that, he would badly want to do it on every other route as well). I think it's certainly possible the devs were trying to make him more of a threat, but my suspicion is that the writers of Hopes had marching orders that no route could ultimately focus on lord-versus-lord, so Thales staging a coup on Edelgard was one way to make that happen.

Yeah, I actually quite like the Begnion senate! A lot more than the Agarthans. I think it's partly because they feel very real to me. Lekain is a conceited blowhard, but he has political savvy, lots of power, and access to fancy magic besides, and this combination makes him incredibly dangerous; he manages to accomplish many terrible things in his life before he is finally stopped. The other thing I like better about the senate is that every terrible thing they do, they do for an understandable and human reasons - to gain power and wealth. The Agarthans frequently do evil things for no stated reason except that they are evil. There are speculations about what the point of e.g. Remire was, but the Watsonian explanation is simple: they do it to show the player They Are Bad.

Also agree that the javelins of light are an excellent example of what Etrurian Emperor is talking about.

Forget Remire, I'm still puzzling out what they were trying to accomplish by suddenly destroy Ordelia territory in Golden Wildfire and Crimson Blaze. Like, they were about to accomplish what they wanted. Edelgard and Claude were moving into position to eliminate Rhea. Despite Edelgard kicking the Agarthans out, she was still doing what they ultimately wanted in warring with the last Nabateans...so why hamper your own side's imminent victory just when they're about to kill the only person that really matters a damn on an immortal timescale? Just because they can't accept that it's not them who will ultimately end up in power? Okay...but how does randomly destroyed Ordelia territory do anything to accomplish actually seizing the continent back from Edelgard and Claude? It's not like they made any attempt to disguise themselves and try to blame it on the other party to break the alliance. They just accomplish putting a big target on their back (and revealing the general area of their headquarters, though sadly there is no Shamballa chapter in Three Hopes). At least in Remire their nefarious evil is for some kind of experimentation, but their actions in 2/3 of Three Hopes works directly against any conceivable goal they could have.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Forget Remire, I'm still puzzling out what they were trying to accomplish by suddenly destroy Ordelia territory in Golden Wildfire and Crimson Blaze. Like, they were about to accomplish what they wanted. Edelgard and Claude were moving into position to eliminate Rhea.

According to in-universe speculation, which is probably correct, the Agarthans don't want the war to end. It makes sense; once the conflict is ended, then folks like Hubert and Lysithea will turn their full attention to hunting them down. If you assume the Agarthans don't just want revenge, but also want to control the surface world, then the war dragging on gives them more opportunities to start building up their shadowy power structures within the various nations again. Or that's the best I've got, anyway.

I kind of feel like that Thales is kind of like Nidhogg in FF14 in that his war wasn't actually a war but his way of punishing his enemies with never ending problems.  Sure he could probably do more damage but in doing so that would end his enemies suffering to quickly to be a punishment in his eyes. Plus he also doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who gets what he wants only to have someone else calling the shots.  The schemes he has done show that he favors schemes that weaken the support for the opposition by showing their ugly side which kind of fits the whole he wants the enemy to suffer more mindset.

20 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I remember when I first played RD I thought the Begnion senate was kinda silly and unrealistic. Now that I'm older I can see how real they actually are lmao.