What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Just now, Jotari said:

Sounds like Anankos could do with sitting in that chair himself. Maybe not having it is why he went crazy in the first place.

There hasn't been so much fuss over a chair since Game of Thrones.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Perhaps that was a bad example and thinking this whole debate over now I think I’m finally starting  to understand what you’re trying to say here(you can thank @vanguard333 for that because of the code geass example) and to an extent I agree but I don’t think it applies to fates in the way you’re saying it does. I’m not saying it doesn’t cause it does I just think you could’ve argued the point better.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yes, you finally get it. We just needed to give you an example you could empathize with (I too thought that moment was a massive blemish on Code Geass). 

Well; I'm glad we could come to an agreement, and I'm glad an example I used proved useful. I find it a little funny that it was the Code Geass example because, while it is certainly a contrivance, I feel it goes beyond that; right into the realm of Diabolus ex Machina: were something comes out of left field simply to keep the central conflict going when it otherwise may have resolved. 

@Jotari There is one small area where I disagree: blemish. The Great Divide is a blemish on Avatar: the Last Airbender. The Euphemia incident is the moment that Code Geass drove off a cliff.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

None of the plot points as concepts are inherently contrived, that's why I think the made up examples Vanguard was trying to use didn't quite work. It's the execution that matters. 

Yeah; at this point, I'm more than happy to admit that trying to get the point across with hypothetical examples was a bad idea. 

8 hours ago, Benice said:

No one else is going there, so I'm gonna say it

Soren X Titania

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Longer answer: Soren is biologically 14 (and chronologically around 17) and he will be that way for some time, while Titania is much older than him both physically and chronologically, and their on-screen chemistry is best described as, "Two advisors who bicker". 

32 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

Titania is too good to be this kid's mom, why would she be his wife

Though while we're at it... Ike is too good for Soren. He's better with Ranulf.

Really boosting Soren's shakey self-esteem there.

For my unpopular opinion...I can't believe that there are people that are fans of Tokyo Mirage Sessions...

I mean really? The whole thing is singing theme, has literally nothing to do with Fire Emblem and on top of that, its an Atlus game and no one here thanks Nintendo for taking credit in making it happen.

42 minutes ago, Harvey said:

For my unpopular opinion...I can't believe that there are people that are fans of Tokyo Mirage Sessions...

Tokyo Mirage Session is the game that most makes me feel like I'm in a Magical Girl Anime. People can be fans of things other than Fire Emblem, and even if I was drawn in by the Fire Emblem wall papering, I became a fan of it for what it is, not what it pretended to be.

11 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Tokyo Mirage Session is the game that most makes me feel like I'm in a Magical Girl Anime. People can be fans of things other than Fire Emblem, and even if I was drawn in by the Fire Emblem wall papering, I became a fan of it for what it is, not what it pretended to be.

The issue here is that its developed by Atlus. Only reason people give a damn about it is because its developed by atlus. One of those overrated companies out there who claim they are better than everyone else.

16 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The issue here is that its developed by Atlus. Only reason people give a damn about it is because its developed by atlus. One of those overrated companies out there who claim they are better than everyone else.

And what’s wrong with Atlus exactly? Atlus are good developers. Their games aren’t perfect but you can’t deny the quality and care they put into their games. There’s a reason the persona series sells consistently well and it’s not simply because of “uwu waifu high school dating simulator with some dungeon crawling”

really you’re entire point here just comes off as extremely petty.

Edited by Ottservia

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

And what’s wrong with Atlus exactly? Atlus are good developers. Their games aren’t perfect but you can’t deny the quality and care they put into their games. There’s a reason the persona series sells consistently well and it’s not simply because of “uwu waifu high school dating simulator with some dungeon crawling”

It makes others who do as well as them being worse than them. When Nintendo games are consistently good, people flak at it but for Atlus? Nearly everyone agrees with that and its all because they are shallow minded.

Its no wonder that SEGA can't even make use out of them because of what they are.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Considering the massive difference in success between Persona and other Atlus RPGs that are basically Persona whitout the waifus, i'd say is actually for the waifus.

1 minute ago, Flere210 said:

Considering the massive difference in success between Persona and other Atlus RPGs that are basically Persona whitout the waifus, i'd say is actually for the waifus.

never said that wasn't a part of the games' success that would be completely false. I'm saying that it's not the only reason and that Persona is legitimately a good game on top of that

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

I mean really? The whole thing is singing theme, has literally nothing to do with Fire Emblem and on top of that, its an Atlus game and no one here thanks Nintendo for taking credit in making it happen.

Gameplay's pretty great though.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, Harvey said:

Actually the sales and initial reception implies that very few people are a fan of Tokyo Mirage Sessions. What it ended up being wasn't what people expected from the initial marketing, the huge focus on the idol theme was controversial, Fire Emblem fans had a hard time recognizing the Fire emblem and Shin Megami fans supposedly had a hard time recognizing the shin Megami. 

Its a game few people asked for and even fewer wanted. And that's kinda tragic. The gameplay supposedly managed to stand on its own when its not getting dragged down by all the controversy. If the game had been marketing different and if it hadn't given people wrong expectations the game would likely have performed a lot better. Maybe it will do better on the Switch now everyone has calmed down about the initial controversy. 

38 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Actually the sales and initial reception implies that very few people are a fan of Tokyo Mirage Sessions. What it ended up being wasn't what people expected from the initial marketing, the huge focus on the idol theme was controversial, Fire Emblem fans had a hard time recognizing the Fire emblem and Shin Megami fans supposedly had a hard time recognizing the shin Megami. 

Its a game few people asked for and even fewer wanted. And that's kinda tragic. The gameplay supposedly managed to stand on its own when its not getting dragged down by all the controversy. If the game had been marketing different and if it hadn't given people wrong expectations the game would likely have performed a lot better. Maybe it will do better on the Switch now everyone has calmed down about the initial controversy. 

It's nothing like SMT or FE at all.

It's a quite generic JRPG with an idol theme some people may like. Personally, my interest begins and ends with "those are some cute girls," but that's not enough to make a mediocre game good on its own.

16 minutes ago, De Geso said:

It's nothing like SMT or FE at all.

It's a quite generic JRPG with an idol theme some people may like. Personally, my interest begins and ends with "those are some cute girls," but that's not enough to make a mediocre game good on its own.

The gameplay is basically typical SMT gameplay with the Fire Emblem weapon triangle thrown in (which synergizes really well).

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The gameplay is basically typical SMT gameplay with the Fire Emblem weapon triangle thrown in (which synergizes really well).

I think De Geso was talking about the story and atmosphere, which is completely alien to SMT and is even more aggressively anime than FE was in that era. "There appears to have been a fusion accident" was a meme for a reason.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

If the game had been marketing different and if it hadn't given people wrong expectations the game would likely have performed a lot better.

I'd say, the fault lies more in that after the initial announcement that there would be a crossover work... they spent quite a while without saying anything. It's not that they gave people the wrong expectations. It's that they gave none, so people began thinking up their own. So naturally, once they finally say what it would be about, it barely matched to what people thought it would be, hence the dissapointment and stuff.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, Eryon said:

Medeus is more moral than Naga and Rhea. Unlike them, he didn't choose to ultimately aid his kind's killers and/or slavers instead of forcing them to back off.

Medeus sided with Naga against the maddened Earth Dragons. He then abandoned his post watching the seal in order to found the Dohlr Empire. Medeus chose to inflict Manakete Supremacy upon the continent, when Naga's most notable decision was having to choose between imprisoning the maddened Earth Dragons or letting them wipe out humanity, and choosing to not let humanity get wiped out. Also, remember that humanity had yet to do anything to dragons at that point. I know nothing about Rhea; I have yet to play Three Houses. 

On 10/13/2019 at 1:09 AM, Harvey said:

My problem with Tokyo Mirage Sessions was that it was yet another example of Shadow Dragon & Awakening pandering; a trend that continued with Fates stapled on for Fire Emblem Warriors. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Medeus sided with Naga against the maddened Earth Dragons. He then abandoned his post watching the seal in order to found the Dohlr Empire. Medeus chose to inflict Manakete Supremacy upon the continent, when Naga's most notable decision was having to choose between imprisoning the maddened Earth Dragons or letting them wipe out humanity, and choosing to not let humanity get wiped out. Also, remember that humanity had yet to do anything to dragons at that point. I know nothing about Rhea; I have yet to play Three Houses. 

Medeus's decision was done after the humans began treating the manaketes bad. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision or made for the sake of evilness.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Fire Emblem fans had a hard time recognizing the Fire emblem and Shin Megami fans supposedly had a hard time recognizing the shin Megami. 

And the Persona fans don't see the Persona either- so I hear. No Social Links/Confidants + no psychobabble = 🚫🃏

TMS is an orphan.

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I think De Geso was talking about the story and atmosphere, which is completely alien to SMT

Not since IV: Apocalypse!😩 I hope the franchise recovers.

But, I like the gameplay very much overall, the dungeons have fairly decent design, soundtrack works, the visual flair is good. The FE veneer is just that, a thin veneer, I'd like more FE, but I'm chill. I was raging mad like many others when TMS as it is was initially revealed, but I still went and bought it anyhow. I was won over to liking it.

Sure it's no 9/10 or 10/10, it's more firmly in the 7-7.5 zone, but I still enjoy for the gameplay. I can brush off the story and superficially laugh off the idol anime silliness. I'm willing to forgo plot for gameplay anyhow. I can totally understand how others would dislike/not be interested in this game though. But such are they, and such am I.

"Sunk cost fallacy" might apply to me. How often would I if I knew in advance go for a 7.5 title?

On 10/13/2019 at 1:10 PM, Harvey said:

Atlus, arrogant? What a peculiar notion. Where on the Internet would you have found them declaring this arrogance?

The Atlus fanbase is not Atlus itself. Anything fans say is not representative of what Atlus the company may think.

Atlus is no Square Enix or EA, no *insert other large developer*. Atlus is a small company that outside of the last three Personae, has barely made much in sales or popularity. And Persona is still in some measure despite being their breakout, a "niche" franchise. SMT because darkness is even more niche, and Etrian Odyssey is super-duper niche. They've continually pumped out titles, but they always cater to a small audience, they aren't aiming for sales platinum.

And not every title even then that Atlus has made is flawless. SMT: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army has a lovely setting, but is so clunky in gameplay without a great story behind it. Digital Devil Saga 2 is rushed at the end. SMT IV: Apocalypse has thematic disconnect. Plain old IV has poor dungeon design.

Atlus is small fries and they know it I would say. Arrogance can only be born of bigness. Or at the least, the small who are arrogant die fast, because they lack the financial and popular sales cushion for the errors of arrogance.

-I can understand not liking/being interested in Atlus gameplay or games as a whole, but they themselves aren't arrogant.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Neither Gotoh or Xane actually digged humans before meeting Marth. Most dragons who aren't feral are seen in Medeus' empire.

The humans already had their shot to enforce Human Supremacy and it didn't go well for dragons. Hence Medeus acting against them. Note how we see no signs that the humans living in Dolhr fear the dragons and that the humans who stood with the dragons would've been enslaved or eaten once the war was over with Medeus' side victorious.