What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, Tiki's case is more of being too young to control her power. Outside sleep, the Binding Shield can also keep that in check. After all, she's quite fine by the time of Awakening.

Hmm... makes me wonder if Naga also had to sleep during her childhood...

They're manaketes, though. As manaketes, there's no danger of degeneration.

But this really brings up the question, if manaketes suffer no danger, why did Mila and Duma go mad, and why was Tiki put to sleep? And if Mila and Duma aren't Manaketes, why are they going mad now and not a thousand years ago alongside the earth dragons?

5 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Degeneration hadn't hit yet, remember it was something that just happened one day to dragon kind as a whole.

Except Tiki's problem isn't the degeneration. It's a different issue, in regards to the power she has.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

But this really brings up the question, if manaketes suffer no danger, why did Mila and Duma go mad, and why was Tiki put to sleep? And if Mila and Duma aren't Manaketes, why are they going mad now and not a thousand years ago alongside the earth dragons?

Duma and Mila didn't turn to Manaketes. Or at least, considering they left Archanea before the end of the Golden Age, it's more likely they wouldn't even know what happened, or know how to counter it.

Well, the degeneration is likely to not be something that hits at a set point. It's probably up to chance; and the decision to become Manaketes was to avoid living with that chance. Alternatively, their blood bonds with Rigel and Zofia probably gave them some sort of protection that still failed in the end, or lessened the chances and imply the RNG wasn't on their side one day. I mean, Loptyr went that route to avoid the degeneration without turning into a Manakete. It's hard to say if he would've also gone mad, since he died before that could happen.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Except Tiki's problem isn't the degeneration. It's a different issue, in regards to the power she has.

Duma and Mila didn't turn to Manaketes. Or at least, considering they left Archanea before the end of the Golden Age, it's more likely they wouldn't even know what happened, or know how to counter it.

Well, the degeneration is likely to not be something that hits at a set point. It's probably up to chance; and the decision to become Manaketes was to avoid living with that chance. Alternatively, their blood bonds with Rigel and Zofia probably gave them some sort of protection that still failed in the end, or lessened the chances and imply the RNG wasn't on their side one day. I mean, Loptyr went that route to avoid the degeneration without turning into a Manakete. It's hard to say if he would've also gone mad, since he died before that could happen.

The blood bonds still happened way after literally every other known regular dragon in the world went mad. I find it hard to believe that the rng happened to protect both of them, and then happened to strike both of them at the exact same time (or maybe slightly earlier for Duma) when the entirety of the ice, wyvern, earth and, presumably, dagon tribes went mad.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'll check, I don't think its stated either way. 

I'm personally of the opinion its related to degeneration though and Tiki is at more at risk because of her greater power compared to other Manaketes.

EDIT: Gotoh:
Because she is still a child. Without the shield, she too will degenerate.. In time, she will turn into a beast and attack humanity. I took pity on her and sent her to sleep. But if the Binding Shield is restored, we will no longer have to worry. The shield will protect Tiki. Marth, I leave Tiki in your hands. Please free her from her destruction. 

Edited by Emperor Hardin

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The blood bonds still happened way after literally every other known regular dragon in the world went mad. I find it hard to believe that the rng happened to protect both of them, and then happened to strike both of them at the exact same time (or maybe slightly earlier for Duma) when the entirety of the ice, wyvern, earth and, presumably, dagon tribes went mad.

It's possible. Keep in mind it took around 250 years between the start of the decline and the war beteween the Divine and Earth Dragons, which started because the latter had begun to attack humanity having become feral enough from the degeneration. That's honestly the only thing we have to gauge time... and it only applies to the Earth tribe. For all we know, it depends on the tribe of dragon, as well as per individual case. For the Earth tribe, it took about two and a half centuries... and it's still not clear if that was the time it took for them to begin going feral, or their degeneration reached the point they couldn't control themselves anymore. Like I said, it could vary. After all, there's no word the other tribes that went feral attacked humanity. For Duma and Mila, they only need to hold out to about 1300 years before they did their blood binds. It may sound unlikely... but it's not impossible.

35 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'll check, I don't think its stated either way. 

I'm personally of the opinion its related to degeneration though and Tiki is at more at risk because of her greater power compared to other Manaketes.

EDIT: Gotoh:
Because she is still a child. Without the shield, she too will degenerate.. In time, she will turn into a beast and attack humanity. I took pity on her and sent her to sleep. But if the Binding Shield is restored, we will no longer have to worry. The shield will protect Tiki. Marth, I leave Tiki in your hands. Please free her from her destruction. 

That still doesn't cover the fact Tiki is no longer in danger of degeneration once she's an adult. If it was the same kind of degeneration, it should still be a problem. I even checked the Awakening script; and it's not brought up. Maybe I need to recheck it. Also, if it was due to power, it should've been a concern to Naga too. It took around 450 years before she blood binded with Heim. You'd think she would've followed her own advice and had something like the Shield made much earlier if it really was a risk. Nothing points to that. The only concern is Tiki being a child. It's even there in the line you quoted. "Because she is still a child."

It's too specific to be the same kind of degeneration.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Naga is genuinely one of my least favourite characters in all of FE

For one, her appearance in HEROES  bothers me because, A, she makes ajacent allies effective against dragons, (which makes my only good dragon unit, Male kana +1 entirely useless) and B, most of her quotes are esentially saying "heck off, dragons! Humans are much better because, like marth is hawt!  [Instert random obscure reason]

In addition, throughout the entire series, the only thing she does is give humans easy ways to yeet dragons. In the first part of the Archanea series, (FE 1 and 3) the main reason the Dragons in Dohlr are antagonistic to humans is because humans esentially threw the entire species (other than divine dragons, because racism works like that...) into the dustbin, where they hoped they would go extinct. Subsequently, the dragons make bid for their freedom. Naga then  goes "You're not divine dragons! go die!" And gives the humans a toothpick that kills any dragon easily. She does this again in Valentia, Although the reason is kind of justified. (god-like dragon entities go insane and are messing up the continent) Nobody gets mad at the Laguz alliance for stepping up to the plate when they realize the Beorc are Using Laguz for experiments, toys, and also nearly cause the extinction of an innocent tribe of Heron Laguz, but when the dragons to the literal exact same thing for similar reasons, they are betrayed by their deity and left to being dying in the ditches again.

As another point, she is Tiki's mother, who is one of the most aggravating characters in Awakening. In all her supports she is monologuing about marth, gushing about how dashing and kind and hot and inspiring and  Handsome and Cute and brilliant and perfect he is. I mean, sure you had a crush on him, but for one, he lived for like .05%  of your life, and in adddition, he basically single handedly caused axtinction of earth, fire and Ice dragons on Archanea. "Look,  Ban-Ban, he's killing my cousins and  bretheren! Isn't he soooooo handsome?" (She's cute in  Fe 1 and 3 though, so I don't mind her there) Naga is also a terrible mother, as proven through Male morgan and Nah's supports in Awakening. In these supports, Nah prays to Naga because she's the god of dragons and all. She occasionally answers, and later blesses Morgan and Nah's marriage, stating that they should Get a room. I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell, she never really tries  to communicate with Tiki at a ersonal level, nor does she give Tiki Delusional relationship advice for Marth. Heck, she even raised her kid wrong. She's like 7k years old, and look how Tiki is turning out: Some bratty dragon who pretends to be responsible who is still talking about HER CHILDHOOD CRUSH WHO MURDERED HER DISTANT RELATIVES WHO IS ALREADY DATING/ ENGAGED/ MARRIED/ DEAD  FOR ABOUT 2000 YEARS!!!! Al so, Caeda is way cuter than Tiki ever was and I don't think marth is a Pedophile. 

The way Naga comes of to me is a Dragon who assumes any not divine dragon is evil and must be killed. She does actually target some villains, such as Loptuous in the Jugdral series, but for most of her dragon kills are radnom dragon-rights activits. SHe clearly prefers humans over dragons, is a bad mother, an even worse god and is just all in all a character who is incredibly  annoying, prejudiced and disdainful of all dragons, with the excepton of the Divine variety.

I could keep going on abaout how she is a mass murderer of innocents, but I think this is already too long. Sorry about that.

Edited by Benice
lots of Grammatical errors

19 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's possible. Keep in mind it took around 250 years between the start of the decline and the war beteween the Divine and Earth Dragons, which started because the latter had begun to attack humanity having become feral enough from the degeneration. That's honestly the only thing we have to gauge time... and it only applies to the Earth tribe. For all we know, it depends on the tribe of dragon, as well as per individual case. For the Earth tribe, it took about two and a half centuries... and it's still not clear if that was the time it took for them to begin going feral, or their degeneration reached the point they couldn't control themselves anymore. Like I said, it could vary. After all, there's no word the other tribes that went feral attacked humanity. For Duma and Mila, they only need to hold out to about 1300 years before they did their blood binds. It may sound unlikely... but it's not impossible.

That still doesn't cover the fact Tiki is no longer in danger of degeneration once she's an adult. If it was the same kind of degeneration, it should still be a problem. I even checked the Awakening script; and it's not brought up. Maybe I need to recheck it. Also, if it was due to power, it should've been a concern to Naga too. It took around 450 years before she blood binded with Heim. You'd think she would've followed her own advice and had something like the Shield made much earlier if it really was a risk. Nothing points to that. The only concern is Tiki being a child. It's even there in the line you quoted. "Because she is still a child."

It's too specific to be the same kind of degeneration.

Tiki doesn't have the majority of her power in the era of Awakening. It's been doubled sealed in a divine stone and in that tree area where her paralogue takes place.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

In addition, throughout the entire series, the only thing she does is give humans easy ways to yeet dragons. In the first part of the Archanea series, (FE 1 and 3) the main reason the Dragons in Dohlr are antagonistic to humans is because humans esentially threw the entire species (other than divine dragons, because racism works like that...) into the dustbin, where they hoped they would go extinct. Subsequently, the dragons make bid for their freedom. Naga then  goes "You're not divine dragons! go die!" And gives the humans a toothpick that kills any dragon easily. She does this again in Valentia, Although the reason is kind of justified. (god-like dragon entities go insane and are messing up the continent) Nobody gets mad at the Laguz alliance for stepping up to the plate when they realize the Beorc are Using Laguz for experiments, toys, and also nearly cause the extinction of an innocent tribe of Heron Laguz, but when the dragons to the literal exact same thing for similar reasons, they are betrayed by their deity and left to being dying in the ditches again.

The backstory in Akaneia is actually similar to Valentia/Judgral, not Tellius. According to Chainy, Narga intervened to save humanity after the degenerated Earth Dragons had nearly wiped them out.

2 hours ago, Julian Solo said:

Friend this is an unpopular thread not popular opinion thread xD.

To be fair, there is one particular Fates song that has been reduced to meme status people hate it so much... maybe Malen is just sneaking in the fact he likes that song?

On 10/19/2019 at 11:01 PM, Baldrick said:

The backstory in Akaneia is actually similar to Valentia/Judgral, not Tellius. According to Chainy, Narga intervened to save humanity after the degenerated Earth Dragons had nearly wiped them out.

You're not wrong, but I needed to vent and felt like ranting.

I was also trying to use a metaphor by comparing the LA and the dolhr manaketes, I didn't mean to insinuate that Tellius is a remake of Archanea.

And awakening Tiki is still the most diddly darn blinking flipping blooming annoying character in fe history

Edited by Benice

While I'd prefer not having censorship in TMSFE, I'm very skeptical about the arguments of "censorship = the apocalypse". I'm still dead set getting Encore, suckaz!

L'Arachel is captain america if captain america was a spoiled child who says "come" too much.

Serra is L'Arachel only she was atacked by a child predator... or... something... it must have been scarring if it made her turn out like she did.

No clue how unpopular of an opinion this is but Byleth/Petra is a terrible support chain and Petra's worst pairing by a significant margin

Petra's indecision on whether or not she wants to lead Brigid is an invention of that specific support chain that runs completely counter to every other ending. They could have done something similar to her endings with Hubert and Claude, and that would have been just fine, but what they did  is one of the worst Avatar-isms in the entire game. The writers just scrap her entire character motivation to make it make sense that she'd stay with Byleth in Fodlan.

Unpopular opinion alert!

• Linhardt/Flayn is a terrible, terrible support chain that makes Linhardt come across as a giant creep. Probably my least favorite in the entire game
  • I also dislike how Byleth goes from being nice and supportive to Bernadetta in their C and B supports to straight up trolling her in A. Like what the hell, man? No wonder she thinks he wants to kill her in their S-support.
  • Positive unpopularity (Three Houses spoilers):
Dimitri's death in Verdant Wind is actually an example of good writing. It shows his fall from the noble prince who wanted to do right to a beast driven by nothing but revenge. Sure, the death being off-screen is anti-climactic, but in my opinion, an epic, dramatic on-screen death wouldn't befit the type of person Dimitri has become at that point. In the same vein, Jeralt's death is also one I quite like. Not only did we have time to get to know Jeralt and have actual insight on his relationship to his child Byleth, I also liked how he died from a writing perspective. Having a character die an epic death in battle against a powerful opponent like Greil is fine and all, but I believe it's much more realistic and dramatic to have a powerful hero go down like Jeralt did: one moment of letting your guard down (ironic, considering how often Jeralt warned Byleth to never do that) and -boom- dead.
Edited by DragonFlames

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Unpopular opinion alert!

• Linhardt/Flayn is a terrible, terrible support chain that makes Linhardt come across as a giant creep. Probably my least favorite in the entire game
  • I also dislike how Byleth goes from being nice and supportive to Bernadetta in their C and B supports to straight up trolling her in A. Like what the hell, man? No wonder she thinks he wants to kill her in their S-support.
  • Positive unpopularity (Three Houses spoilers):
  Hide contents

Dimitri's death in Verdant Wind is actually an example of good writing. It shows his fall from the noble prince who wanted to do right to a beast driven by nothing but revenge. Sure, the death being off-screen is anti-climactic, but in my opinion, an epic, dramatic on-screen death wouldn't befit the type of person Dimitri has become at that point. In the same vein, Jeralt's death is also one I quite like. Not only did we have time to get to know Jeralt and have actual insight on his relationship to his child Byleth, I also liked how he died from a writing perspective. Having a character die an epic death in battle against a powerful opponent like Greil is fine and all, but I believe it's much more realistic and dramatic to have a powerful hero go down like Jeralt did: one moment of letting your guard down (ironic, considering how often Jeralt warned Byleth to never do that) and -boom- dead.

Hey, why not both? That's how Cornelius got taken out.

11 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I also dislike how Byleth goes from being nice and supportive to Bernadetta in their C and B supports to straight up trolling her in A. Like what the hell, man? No wonder she thinks he wants to kill her in their S-support.

In the JP version of the support, Bernadetta asks Byleth if he is going to "do it" with her in the Goddess Tower. That sounds less distrusting of her to say. 

2 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

Lorenz is a good guy and Sylvain is an absolute trash heap of a person, and the only reason Sylvain is a more popular character is because he's physically attractive.

Lorenz is the best character from the Golden Deer house as well. 

2 hours ago, Arachnofiend said:

Lorenz is a good guy and Sylvain is an absolute trash heap of a person, and the only reason Sylvain is a more popular character is because he's physically attractive.

Kinda yes. I like Sylvain but he's undeniably a jerk who goes out of his way to be the worst version of himself. Lorentz meanwhile strives to be his very best version but is just a klutz about it. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Kinda yes. I like Sylvain but he's undeniably a jerk who goes out of his way to be the worst version of himself. Lorentz meanwhile strives to be his very best version but is just a klutz about it. 

I think what sets me off about Sylvain more is ironically that he's more charming than the other pervert characters. As in he actually manages to get women, at least temporarily. Which means we see what he does with his relationships once he has them, and how they turn sour because he's a manipulative ass to the women he dates. With the others, they only ever succeed at the end of a major support chain and with at least a vague guarantee they're not going to fuck it up.

Still better than Soleil though. At least Sylvain isn't rapey.

Edited by Alastor15243