What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

On 11/27/2019 at 11:07 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Oof. I cannot really judge for myself how they are yet, because I'm still on my first run. I DO know, however, that Raphael is as slow as a snail on depressants, and not nearly bulky enough to make up for it (unless you're an armored knight or something, constant enemy doubles WILL take their toll on you). His strengths don't help his case (the heaviest weapon type and the weapon type that only has 4 might on its strongest weapons? Ugh). Also, the new character only has two supports - Byleth and Mercedes.

I don't disagree on Raphael, honestly, especially when compared to his "equivalents" Caspar and Dedue, who are much better (though that isn't saying much. I outlined my grievances with Caspar and Dedue is dead the moment a Mage shows up).
I heard that Mercedes and Byleth are New Character's only supports, so I made sure to recruit Mercedes in order to see them (and to have an excuse to bench Linhardt. XP)

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

An archer going for now knight only really needs to worry about horse riding. You can just make that their focus for most of the game. Lances will be acquired easily and your bow rank should be at least B or B+ by the time you're ready to promote just by exclusive use of it. If you're trying to make someone who is not a dedicated archer a bow knight, then you're probably going to make them a cavalry or paladin early on anyway.

I'm not trying to claim Black Knight is the easiest class in the game to get, but if you know you want it (and that extra movement is a good reason to want it), you can do it without too much trouble and without messing up the rest of your army. The game gives plenty of ways to focus on different things. You just have to prepare from the outset. Which was one of the most annoying things on my initial playthrough when I was hitting level 30 and nothing could promote, but became one of my most enjoyable aspects of the game on subsequent playthroughs.

Oh, I don't disagree with that. That's the beauty of Three Houses: Everyone can be anything you want them to be. Heck, on my first Golden Deer run, Lysithea spent a lot of the time (i.e. the last four Chapters) as a Mortal Savant because I like the way she looks in that class. I am well aware that this is suboptimal as all hell, but she was one-shotting practically everything anyway, either with her spells or with a forged Levin Sword (granted, that was on Normal, but still).
I was just pointing out why I personally prefer not to turn mages into Dark or Holy Knights, even though there is merit to doing so.
Far be it from me to tell others how to play their game. I'd be a massive douche if I did that, to put it mildly.

45 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm only on my first playthrough of the game, let alone Crimson Flower, so I can't make a full judgement. But This has not been my experience at all:

Edelgard has levelled speed a lot for me. 

Hubert is pretty good from what I've seen. One thing that helps him early on compared to Lysithea is that he learns at least two 1-3 range spells, unlike Lysithea who doesn't learn any. 

Ferdinand Is one of my best units. He's strong, he's fast, and he has the highest defence of all my Crimson Flower units. He was my tank for most of part 1. 

Caspar For me, Caspar's speed is fine; not bad, not great. It's his defence that's the real issue; even with his high HP, he can't last too many fights without needing to be healed. 

Linhardt What do you mean his magic stat is a failure? His magic stat has been really good for me. His speed is not good, but I'd hardly call him slow as a snail. Then again, I mainly use him as a healer and as the guy with the battalion that doubles movement. 

Bernadetta Only one playthrough, so I can't say anything about her and RNG. I recruited Ashe and both of them right now are snipers. Ashe has higher strength, but Bernadetta has higher speed. I agree her strength is an issue. 

Petra I agree is great. Her strength has not failed on my playthrough. 

Dorothea …Is an offensive beast. She hasn't had any speed issues I've noticed; double-attacking even when using heavier spells.

Dorothea has been a beast for me in my first two Black Eagles playthroughs, too (Meteor plus Magic+2 and Fiendish Blow is straight up evil). It's only now on the third one that she fails to be anything special. Same with Bernadetta, really (hell, in my second Black Eagles playthrough, she was my best unit by far).
Ferdinand was terrible on all three of them, as was Linhardt. I haven't had a single playthrough so far that had them as anything but liabilities.
Hubert, as you say, has 1-3 range spells, which helps, but his hit rates have been shaky for me and his best class is locked to a seal that can be kind of hard to get (i.e. you have to turn someone into a Thief to get it if you don't have Lysithea with Dark Spikes). As I said, I have a hard time pinpointing his capabilities. In my current run, he's vastly inferior to Lysithea despite having 3 range spells.
I'd love to see what a fast Edelgard is like, honestly.
Caspar's Defence was an issue for me, too. Every time I used him, in fact. Paired with his current Speed issues, I fear I'll have to bench the guy pretty soon.

I'd say this is good old RNG shenanigans at work, as usual.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I'd love to see what a fast Edelgard is like, honestly.

I had this on my first CF run, she was at 30 speed. Of course, second playthrough, she had 11 speed, I had it coming, I guess.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hubert, as you say, has 1-3 range spells, which helps, but his hit rates have been shaky for me and his best class is locked to a seal that can be kind of hard to get (i.e. you have to turn someone into a Thief to get it if you don't have Lysithea with Dark Spikes).

It's worse than that. You have to do this twice when you only have three chances to do it. (Or rather, I should say,  that used to be the case. Now you only need to do it once.)

Since it's been around a month since I beat Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, I may as well provide a few unpopular opinions:

- While Dragon Veins weren't underutilized, they never reached the same "awe" factor that the first few levels gave off. Sure, opening and blocking caves or freezing all enemies is useful, but they don't give the same sense of game-changing power that destroying mountains and building rock bridges did.

- I got a better sense of a characters personality by what they said in battle than what they said in the private quarters or even supports.

- While Corrin is still a lackluster character, the two biggest complaints about them (the amount of praise they get and how their personality is unlikely to match the players) are rather easy to ignore.

- Illusion and Beastbane+Pass are interesting gimmicks separately, but together they just make for an annoying level. Having illusion appear in an earlier level so the player could get a good idea of how the mechanic works, and then having the Kitsune chapter add pass and beastbane on top of it would have been a better way of handling the gimmicks.

- The wind mechanic would be fun in a different game, but given how many things the player has to keep track of already in Conquest, it requires a ludicrous amount of planning ahead to get a use out of it, and ignoring the gimmick just makes the map a slog to go through.

- Here's a backhanded compliment; The excellent maps of Conquest hurt its worldbuilding. They are visually interesting, and I can see these ports, towns, and forts existing in the world even after the level is over. However, we are rarely, if ever, given hints at what the history of these places are and what their original purpose was, leading to the barebones feeling the world of Fates gives off. As generic as they were at times, at least the open fields of Awakening gave a sense that not every battle that took place in an important location, lessening this issue.

In General:

- The Valm arc isn't filler, since there is a reason why you go from one level to the next and . Rather, the issue is that it tells more than it shows. The whole deal with the rebellion would have more of an impact if they actually physically appeared more than once or twice, and Walharts million strong offscreen army cheaply robs victory from the player and exaggerates Walharts military strength. The latter is especially egregious because the Valmese army is already competent in gameplay and fighting the full force of them head on would be a bad idea, so the justification of making precise strikes still holds up, meaning there's little reason for this giant offscreen army.

- Robin is better as a surrogate for the audience than as a representation of the player.

- Shadow Dragon is the Fire Emblem game with the least amount of bullcrap. It has its questionable moments, but those have work-arounds that don't require a guide to figure out.

- Shadow Dragon also has the most black comedy deaths, what with the ability to avert the events of Mystery, Gaiden, and even Awakening.

- Tuxedos need to be an alternative costume in every game.

- If Fire Emblem ever has a title made with a lower budget, they should make the cutscenes (and perhaps even other aspects of the game like battle animations) in a comic book style, similar to the Metal Gear portable games (an example of such is in the spoiler).

Spoiler

Edited by Hawkwing
Accidentally Pressed Submit Too Early

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Investing in reason, faith (most mages would want these), riding, lances (needed for Dark Knight), and authority (for battalions) sounds like you're spreading yourself thin. Yeah, no. Calling investment that would encompass 5 proficiencies "minor" is a gross oversimplification, and you know it.

I will admit you'll probably have to sacrifice decent battalion use. But that can be worth it for extra damage, movement and Canto.

14 hours ago, Ottservia said:

You know what. I'm just gonna go out and say it. Fates is a much better story than SoV by a laaaaarge margin. Fates's story just has so much more nuance to it than what it seems like. It stumbles a bit here or there(chapter 15 of conquest I'm looking at you) yeah but the story is actually pretty good all things considered. Also I don't get the claim that Corrin is a mary sue cause they're not at all at least by my metric. Sure the story revolves around but that's kind of the idea behind the story. I dunno just playing through the game again and I just can't see a lot of the criticisms people have with this story. I can certainly see some of them but most of the really don't hold much weight either because:

1. that's the fucking point so of what the story was trying to get you to feel

2. It just flat out doesn't make any sense if you paid any attention

I don't think an incredulous groan was the indented feeling the developers wanted me to express when Corrin and Azura went to the magical land they couldn't tell anyone about and then used an orb to see something that completely justified them rebelling against their father/king yet couldn't actually inform anyone else about because coincidentally it broke after a single use and finding or constructing anymore is apparently impossible but invading the nearby peaceful kingdom would achieve the exact same result.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I will admit you'll probably have to sacrifice decent battalion use. But that can be worth it for extra damage, movement and Canto.

I don't think an incredulous groan was the indented feeling the developers wanted me to express when Corrin and Azura went to the magical land they couldn't tell anyone about and then used an orb to see something that completely justified them rebelling against their father/king yet couldn't actually inform anyone else about because coincidentally it broke after a single use and finding or constructing anymore is apparently impossible but invading the nearby peaceful kingdom would achieve the exact same result.

I did say chapter 15 of conquest was bad didn’t I? Cause that’s probably the weakest part of the story everything else I find works out as intended. Birthright is fine, Conquest(chapter 15 aside anyway) works out fine, and Revelations does a good job of tying everything together. The story works and a lot of the complaints I hear(Corrin being an idiot, Xander being a hypocrit, Revelation ruining the story, etc.) really don’t hold much weight I tend to find.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I did say chapter 15 of conquest was bad didn’t I? Cause that’s probably the weakest part of the story everything else I find works out as intended. Birthright is fine, Conquest(chapter 15 aside anyway) works out fine, and Revelations does a good job of tying everything together. The story works and a lot of the complaints I hear(Corrin being an idiot, Xander being a hypocrit, Revelation ruining the story, etc.) really don’t hold much weight I tend to find.

Oh, I guess you did. But I didn't know off the top of my head which chapter is the Valla one (mia cupla, I should have researched). Still though, the fact that the entire rest of Conquest is built upon that Chapter kind of tarnishes a lot of it.

While I'm here I'll add that Revealtions (and certain S supports) retconning Corrin's parentage complicates things for no real reason other than shipping and makes Ryoma look like a hypocrite and Corrin's attachment to Hoshido overall very tenuous. There was really no reason from him to be Anankos's child (aside from allowing him/her to bang the Hosidon royalty).

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh, I guess you did. But I didn't know off the top of my head which chapter is the Valla one (mia cupla, I should have researched). Still though, the fact that the entire rest of Conquest is built upon that Chapter kind of tarnishes a lot of it.

Fair enough and it definitely could’ve been handled a lot better though everything that happens before and after that moment is pretty good and helps build on the story in a nuanced way. The thing that connects both halves of the story, however, yeah is just really weak and could’ve used more nuance and thought

Edit: @Jotari 

The whole Corrin not being blood-related to the hoshidian siblings and Ryoma lying about It does actually make a bit of sense when you consider that choosing to side Hoshido is the wrong choice. The whole point of the chapter six decision was for Corrin to decide who she trusts more. Which one is her “real” family in a sense and both answers given are incorrect. She has reason to both trust and distrust both sides in that moment. She knows Nohr better but they lied to her once so they can do it again. Hoshido claims to know the truth but do they really? For all she knows, they could also being lying out of their asses(Which they are technically). She has only just met them after all. Trust in family is a very big theme here and that hypocrisy with Ryoma does actually kind of add to it.

Edited by Ottservia

30 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Fair enough and it definitely could’ve been handled a lot better though everything that happens before and after that moment is pretty good and helps build on the story in a nuanced way. The thing that connects both halves of the story, however, yeah is just really weak and could’ve used more nuance and thought

Edit: @Jotari 

The whole Corrin not being blood-related to the hoshidian siblings and Ryoma lying about It does actually make a bit of sense when you consider that choosing to side Hoshido is the wrong choice. The whole point of the chapter six decision was for Corrin to decide who she trusts more. Which one is her “real” family in a sense and both answers given are incorrect. She has reason to both trust and distrust both sides in that moment. She knows Nohr better but they lied to her once so they can do it again. Hoshido claims to know the truth but do they really? For all she knows, they could also being lying out of their asses(Which they are technically). She has only just met them after all. Trust in family is a very big theme here and that hypocrisy with Ryoma does actually kind of add to it.

Yeah, but if shift things entirely in the direction of Nohr, as the Hosidons aren't even remotely Corrin's family at all. They're just a bunch of people Corrin spent six weeks visiting as a kid (exaggerated). Up front it looks like a nature vs nurture situation, but in reality it's a nurture vs...basically nothing situation. The Hoshidons aren't Corrin's family by any stretch.

Edited by Jotari

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but if shift things entirely in the direction of Nohr, as the Hosidons aren't even remotely Corrin's family at all. They're just a bunch of people Corrin spent six weeks visiting as a kid (exaggerated). Up front it looks like a nature vs nurture situation, but in reality it's a nurture vs...basically nothing situation. The Hoshidons aren't Corrin's family by any stretch.

In a way they still are because of Mikoto who they consider a mother who is indeed Corrin’s blood mother. She wished for them to treat Corrin as a true blood-related sibling despite not being so. So in a way the blood related angle does kind of work in a really roundabout way because Corrin needs to accept Hoshido as her true family to honor her blood mother’s wishes. I’ll add to this that nature vs nuture isn’t exactly what they’re going for and revelations kind of emphasis that. It’s more so nature vs nuture is bullshit and that you should trust your family regardless of if any blood ties exist at all. If anything, the overall message is in favor of Nuture since you have to distrust Corrin’s biological mother in order to succeed in that one stealth chapter. 

Edited by Ottservia

13 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I had this on my first CF run, she was at 30 speed. Of course, second playthrough, she had 11 speed, I had it coming, I guess.

Oof. That's from one extreme to the other between two playthroughs.
On a third playthrough, you'll most likely get an Edelgard with Speed perfectly in the middle (so, 20-21 speed).

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's worse than that. You have to do this twice when you only have three chances to do it. (Or rather, I should say,  that used to be the case. Now you only need to do it once.)

Does the new guy come with a seal for Dark Mage? That's interesting if that's the case. Still, I think the whole Dark Mage thing works both for and against Hubert. For him in that he's the only one who can get Dark Magic Uses x2 on a lower tier and against him in that the seals are semi-hard to acquire, as you NEED a Thief or Lysithea.
Worse still, you can even MISS one chance to get it. By complete accident, no less.

The Flayn rescue mission (I think it's Chapter 6), where you need to kill either the Death Knight or every other enemy. If you kill every other enemy without stealing from the Death Knight, you're SOL. And this can happen by one of the enemies simply deciding it's time to suicide into your strongest character... I'm speaking from experience, by the way.

Edited by DragonFlames

51 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

In a way they still are because of Mikoto who they consider a mother who is indeed Corrin’s blood mother. She wished for them to treat Corrin as a true blood-related sibling despite not being so. So in a way the blood related angle does kind of work in a really roundabout way because Corrin needs to accept Hoshido as her true family to honor her blood mother’s wishes. I’ll add to this that nature vs nuture isn’t exactly what they’re going for and revelations kind of emphasis that. It’s more so nature vs nuture is bullshit and that you should trust your family regardless of if any blood ties exist at all. If anything, the overall message is in favor of Nuture since you have to distrust Corrin’s biological mother in order to succeed in that one stealth chapter. 

The blood angle doesn't work at all because the bulk of Mikoto's relationship with the Hoshidon's happens after Corrin is separated from them. Her experiences don't transfer to him psychically.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Does the new guy come with a seal for Dark Mage? That's interesting if that's the case. Still, I think the whole Dark Mage thing works both for and against Hubert. For him in that he's the only one who can get Dark Magic Uses x2 on a lower tier and against him in that the seals are semi-hard to acquire, as you NEED a Thief or Lysithea.
Worse still, you can even MISS one chance to get it. By complete accident, no less.

Hide contents

The Flayn rescue mission (I think it's Chapter 6), where you need to kill either the Death Knight or every other enemy. If you kill every other enemy without stealing from the Death Knight, you're SOL. And this can happen by one of the enemies simply deciding it's time to suicide into your strongest character... I'm speaking from experience, by the way.

He does. Also, I wouldn't say Lysithea is a necessity, per se

The thing is, battalions give a lot of benefits, and sacrificing those doesn't sound like it's great of an idea, especially when you're defending something where in terms of investment versus payoff, the payoff is low enough relative to the investment that I would consider it this trope.

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oof. That's from one extreme to the other between two playthroughs.
On a third playthrough, you'll most likely get an Edelgard with Speed perfectly in the middle (so, 20-21 speed).

Reveal hidden contents

Imo, Dark Bishop isn't even that great on Hubert. You're likely never going to run out of offensive spells on him anyway and Life Taker isn't all that great anyway since if you're using Hubert right (that is to say increasing his already great range with a staff) he's not going to be at risk from enemies to begin with. Plus it only goes to tier 3 classes when ultimately you're going to want to stick him in a tier 4 class *cough, Dark Knight, *cough*

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

He does. Also, I wouldn't say Lysithea is a necessity, per se.

The thing is, battalions give a lot of benefits, and sacrificing those doesn't sound like it's great of an idea, especially when you're defending something where in terms of investment versus payoff, the payoff is low enough relative to the investment that I would consider it this trope.

I mean that's you're weighing of things. I know I just finished a Crimson Flower playthrough where I had a Hubert that was a Dark Knight with A rank battalions by endgame (focused on battalions a lot because of his personal skill). Not sure how I managed it exactly (did I put him in stables? I can't even remember, I only know for sure I put Bernadetta in stables), but he wasn't promoting later than other units (and some how he seemed to be doubling everything even though his speed was really low, not sure why that was). I don't think it's as difficult as you're making it out to be. You don't need to get units to A or S rank wisdom, only as high as their best white magic spell. You don't even need to get A rank riding (or C rank lances, even though that's really easy). The stated markers for promotion are just to guarantee 100% promotion. Once you hit even 40% you stand a good chance of promoting within a month (though you should save scum to not waste advanced seals).

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The blood angle doesn't work at all because the bulk of Mikoto's relationship with the Hoshidon's happens after Corrin is separated from them. Her experiences don't transfer to him psychically.

Yeah but that was her dying wish wasn’t it? And it’s correct in assuming that they’d wish to honor their mother’s wishes regardless of anything because they view her as a mother. The same goes for Corrin. Wouldn’t she want to honor the dying wish of her biological mother? To side with Nohr over Hoshido would be to go against that wish of living happily with her Hoshidian siblings as a family. They are connected through Mikoto as she is a mother to both Corrin and the Hoshidian Royals. Fates’s definition of a “real” family has very little to do with nature vs nurture. It has more to do with what a true family does and means to you. Your true family trusts you, they support you, they don’t lie to you, and they’re there for you when you need them most. That’s the overall message the game tries to convey which is emphasized most in revelations 

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah but that was her dying wish wasn’t it? And it’s correct in assuming that they’d wish to honor their mother’s wishes regardless of anything because they view her as a mother. The same goes for Corrin. Wouldn’t she want to honor the dying wish of her biological mother? To side with Nohr over Hoshido would be to go against that wish of living happily with her Hoshidian siblings as a family. They are connected through Mikoto as she is a mother to both Corrin and the Hoshidian Royals. Fates’s definition of a “real” family has very little to do with nature vs nurture. It has more to do with what a true family does and means to you. Your true family trusts you, they support you, they don’t lie to you, and they’re there for you when you need them most. That’s the overall message the game tries to convey which is emphasized most in revelations 

Well you see you're contradicting yourself there. Because Mikoto's wish has nothing to do with that (and she says nothing of the sort to begin with), plus what you're describing as "real family" is nurture through and through.

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

He does. Also, I wouldn't say Lysithea is a necessity, per se

Neat!
Yeah, you can do it without Lysithea, but Dark Spikes is probably the easiest method you have. With a Thief, you'll have to do it on the turn you finish the map or he'll aggro you, and most likely kill one of your units. If you want to bring him down the normal way... well, tell me if/how one can do it without New Game+ or banking on things hitting/him not critting, because I haven't managed that yet.

He's basically Three Houses' version of Lu Bu. Hell, even his personality fits, kind of. Your lord even references the relevant meme: "Do not pursue [Lu Bu]".

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Imo, Dark Bishop isn't even that great on Hubert. You're likely never going to run out of offensive spells on him anyway and Life Taker isn't all that great anyway since if you're using Hubert right (that is to say increasing his already great range with a staff) he's not going to be at risk from enemies to begin with. Plus it only goes to tier 3 classes when ultimately you're going to want to stick him in a tier 4 class *cough, Dark Knight, *cough*

Automatic Fiendish Blow is nice if you don't feel like mastering Warlock (which is doable, of course, but having another skill slot to use for something else can be good, too). And him being in his cool post-time skip outfit while having that class is a neat bonus for me.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well you see you're contradicting yourself there. Because Mikoto's wish has nothing to do with that (and she says nothing of the sort to begin with), plus what you're describing as "real family" is nurture through and through.

I’ll concede that point but my point of the blood relation still stands because they are family because they share a mother in Mikoto. Blood-related or not they all view her as a mother which is what connects them. Mikoto is their mother regardless of anything. 

also I always thought nature vs nurture had more to do with what determines how one’s personality develops. Shows what I know about that

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’ll concede that point but my point of the blood relation still stands because they are family because they share a mother in Mikoto. Blood-related or not they all view her as a mother which is what connects them. Mikoto is their mother regardless of anything. 

That still goes back to Mikoto's experiences with the Hoshidon children not transferring to Corrin. Just because Mikoto had a relationship with them, doesn't mean Corrin does. Mikoto and Corrin are separate entities. Being important to Mikoto does not make something or someone be important to Corrin, when she's just as much a stranger as any of the royals. If Sakura at least was Mikoto's biological daughter then there's be some kind of blood connection, but IS had to mandate that no unit must be unfuckable.

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That still goes back to Mikoto's experiences with the Hoshidon children not transferring to Corrin. Just because Mikoto had a relationship with them, doesn't mean Corrin does. Mikoto and Corrin are separate entities. Being important to Mikoto does not make something or someone be important to Corrin, when she's just as much a stranger as any of the royals. If Sakura at least was Mikoto's biological daughter then there's be some kind of blood connection, but IS had to mandate that no unit must be unfuckable.

But that’s the point though...you even just said it yourself. Corrin is biologically related to Mikoto. That’s a fact and Mikoto is a mother to the Hoshidian royals blood relation or not. She is a mother to them and she is a mother to Corrin through blood relation. They share a mother through both bond and blood and that’s the point. The game is saying that Mikoto’s experiences should transfer to Corrin because of their blood relation like that’s the entire message. That’s why Ryoma argues so heavily for the blood-relation angle. To side with Nohr over Hoshido would be to betray your biological mother and everything she lived for and sought to protect. That’s the idea. Also don’t tell me Corrin doesn’t view Mikoto as a mother because they very much so do cause otherwise what was the point of chapter 5 where they went into a grief-induced rampage over her death. It shows the blood relation between them is still strong and through her death Corrin realizes the truth of their Nohrian siblings.

Edited by Ottservia

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

But that’s the point though...you even just said it yourself. Corrin is biologically related to Mikoto. That’s a fact and Mikoto is a mother to the Hoshidian royals blood relation or not. She is a mother to them and she is a mother to Corrin through blood relation. They share a mother through both bond and blood and that’s the point. The game is saying that Mikoto’s experiences should transfer to Corrin because of their blood relation like that’s the entire message. That’s why Ryoma argues so heavily for the blood-relation angle. To side with Nohr over Hoshido would be to betray your biological mother and everything she lived for and sought to protect. That’s the idea.

That's the idea...before the game retcons things so Corrin has no connection to the Hosidon siblings at all. They're just some people the mother he never knew doted on. If Corrin had an actual relationship with Mikoto then there'd be some transference, but she's a stranger to him/her. It's a non blood connection of a blood relative with no personal connection involved at all. Corrin has neither a blood relation nor a personal connection to the Hoshidon siblings, and Mikoto doesn't change that at all because he has no personal connection to her either.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's the idea...before the game retcons things so Corrin has no connection to the Hosidon siblings at all. They're just some people the mother he never knew doted on. If Corrin had an actual relationship with Mikoto then there'd be some transference, but she's a stranger to him/her. It's a non blood connection of a blood relative with no personal connection involved at all. Corrin has neither a blood relation nor a personal connection to the Hoshidon siblings, and Mikoto doesn't change that at all because he has no personal connection to her either.

Now you’re saying Corrin doesn’t view Mikoto as a mother when they do cause chapter 5 is a thing where Y’know Corrin goes into a grief-induced rampage over her death cause that’s what that chapter was supposed to showcase. It’s supposed to show that the blood relation between the two is strong to the point where the bond relationship doesn’t fully matter. That IS their mother regardless of any bond relation or not. For as much as Corrin denied it at first that is the truth and they have to accept that. The experience should transfer because of how strong that biological relationship is between a mother and her child. You don’t have to agree with the message but that’s what it’s trying to say.

Edited by Ottservia

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Now you’re saying Corrin doesn’t view Mikoto as a mother when they do cause chapter 5 is a thing where Y’know Corrin goes into a grief-induced rampage over her death cause that’s what that chapter was supposed to showcase. It’s supposed to show that the blood relation between the two is strong to the point where the bond relationship doesn’t fully matter. That IS their mother regardless of any bond relation or not. For as much as Corrin denied it at first that is the truth and they have to accept that. The experience should transfer because of how strong that biological relationship is between a mother and her child. You don’t have to agree with the message but that’s what it’s trying to say.

Yes, that's the result of a blood connection. Which is something Corrin doesn't have with the Hosidon siblings. It's the case of an adjacent, versus an adjacent of an adjacent.

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yes, that's the result of a blood connection. Which is something Corrin doesn't have with the Hosidon siblings. It's the case of an adjacent, versus an adjacent of an adjacent.

Yes but again to betray Hoshido would be to betray that blood relation because if Corrin truly did view Mikoto as a mother like they say they do then they would view their Hoshidian siblings as their real siblings because of the mother they share. Mikoto wanted to live with Corrin and be their mother but she couldn’t do that. Mikoto sought peace and to protect Hoshido. To side with Nohr would be to betray those wishes. You should trust and side with your blood-related mother that is the message here. To side with Nohr would be to side against that blood-relation. Corrin siding with Nohr is basically the argument you’re making. Hoshido is a stranger to her therefore she shouldn’t have to follow the ideals of her biological mother. To side with Hoshido would mean that she does want to follow the ideals of her biological mother but in turn betrays the years of trust she had with her Nohrian siblings. In revelations she sides with neither but in turn sides with both. Corrin does not betray either side which is why it’s the correct path.

I mean I know it sounds like I’m repeating myself here but I just have no idea how else to explain it.

Edited by Ottservia