What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

It's unpopular among people who like Felix.

This is why trying to analyze a morally gray story through a black and white lens is a bad idea

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Really? I like Felix and I feel like Rodrigue is a good person. I kinda wish he was playable.

Obviously I can't speak for the sensibilities of everyone who likes Felix but I've seen a lot of his fans (particularly on places like Reddit) treat him like he's the sole voice of wisdom in Faerghus, and that his distaste for his father is legitimate because Rodrigue's a bad dad that promotes a toxic culture.

Like, say what you will about glorifying death, but the notion of sacrificing oneself to save another is pretty noble to me. And in regards to Rodrigue being more of a parent to Dimitri than Felix, the former really needed the support and his willingness to look after Dimitri as though he were his own son is pretty moving.

10 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Obviously I can't speak for the sensibilities of everyone who likes Felix but I've seen a lot of his fans (particularly on places like Reddit) treat him like he's the sole voice of wisdom in Faerghus, and that his distaste for his father is legitimate because Rodrigue's a bad dad that promotes a toxic culture.

Well, he is the only one who calls out the stupidity of blindly following orders, which is something I very much agree with, which is part of the reason I like him. That doesn't mean everyone else is dumb, though. In fact, with the exception of Sylvain, I like everyone in the Blue Lions, which makes it the only house where I only dislike one character instead of two (Black Eagles) or four (Golden Deer).
But what you wrote there is another reason why the only internet forum I visit is this one. Way too many black and white views and flame-y discussions everywhere else (do your sanity a favor and DON'T visit the Three Houses board on GameFAQs. Trust me, that place is a shit-show and a half).
Sometimes, I seriously wonder why Serenes is so different from... pretty much anywhere else.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Well, he is the only one who calls out the stupidity of blindly following orders, which is something I very much agree with, which is part of the reason I like him. That doesn't mean everyone else is dumb, though. In fact, with the exception of Sylvain, I like everyone in the Blue Lions, which makes it the only house where I only dislike one character instead of two (Black Eagles) or four (Golden Deer).
But what you wrote there is another reason why the only internet forum I visit is this one. Way too many black and white views and flame-y discussions everywhere else (do your sanity a favor and DON'T visit the Three Houses board on GameFAQs. Trust me, that place is a shit-show and a half).

You have a more nuanced appreciation of the game, which is something I appreciate. I don't know what it is about Three Houses or if this is true for everything, but characters seem to be extremely polarizing, with people putting their favorites on a pedestal, convinced they can do no wrong, or the exact opposite where they're the absolute worst without a single redeeming quality (look no further than Edelgard/Rhea conversations). For a game that usually manages to balance the negatives and positives to each character, fans seem to see it as black and white a lot.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Sometimes, I seriously wonder why Serenes is so different from... pretty much anywhere else.

I've thought about that before and I think it's a combination of effective moderation both from the mods and also from users minding their behavior. Unlike other places (Reddit, Gamefaqs etc) I feel like it's easier to develop a community that values civility if not mutual respect because each poster has more identifiable traits. We all have our profile pictures and signatures and when you recognize a person as an individual that you'll be seeing around again and again, you might be less inclined to be a jerk when voicing your opinions.

Edited by NekoKnight

On 12/3/2019 at 4:56 PM, DefyingFates said:

As for my own unpopular opinion: I think Sylvain is a sexist pig.

Let me preface this by saying some things in his defense: he clearly has a lot going for him (his being loyal to his friends and defending Dedue, being much smarter than he lets on with Annette) and has some mental issues (being tormented by his brother and having the responsibilities of his Crest thrown on him), but I don't think any of that justifies how he treats women. He says he doesn't trust them, so even if we assume he was courted once or twice by someone who only wanted his Crest and wasn't just being paranoid in his youth...well, I just don't see the link between "distrusts women" and "flirts with anything in a skirt".

[I put all of this in a spoiler because it wound up longer than I thought it would and don't want to upset his fans.]

Reveal hidden contents

My problems with him are only just beginning: he doesn't just flirt with the girls around him, he seduces them, treats them like dirt and, when anyone calls him out on his behaviour, plays the victim card and starts telling everyone how he was abused as a child or how those women were just trying to use him anyway. For example, he's called out for cheating TWICE in his C and B Supports with Byleth and, instead of owning up to it, he accuses the first woman of only being interested in him for his Crest and later complains that "she didn't care that I was seeing other women before she found out, so why does she care now?" before taking his anger out on Byleth about their Crest. And this is something reflected in all of his Supports that involve women. If he just didn't trust them, that'd be one thing, but the fact that he goes out of his way to hoodwink and ruin as many girls as possible, then claiming he's the victim and "oh, look at poor me and how horrible girls are" whenever someone puts him on the spot just makes me sick.

And before anyone says "he has depression, he isn't supposed to make sense"...that's not how mental illnesses work. People with mental illnesses - that aren't just psychopaths that resort to violence - have warped logic, but it's still a form of logic (for example, someone with OCD may keep checking their locks, but it's because they keep asking themselves "what if I didn't lock it properly?" or "what if my hands get infected if I don't wash them an extra time?" - they're trying to get peace of mind and this sort of safety checking is how they manage it). There's no reasoning that would take someone from "I don't trust women" to "I'm going to ruin as many women as possible and it'll be entirely their fault" that isn't just straight-up misogyny. Besides, there are others in 3H with (implied) mental illnesses who don't drag others down with them: Bernie stays cooped up, but she doesn't lock everyone else in their rooms at midnight; she just keeps herself away. Linhardt doesn't mock the people around him for paying attention in class; he just accepts that they have motivation where he doesn't and goes about his day. Again, Sylvain's the only one who gets off on ruining the lives of the people around him.

Heck, he's even worse than Lorenz! Lorenz is unapologetic and offensive, with an ego so massive he can't comprehend that no one likes him, but he at least has an end goal in mind (marry a noblewoman), respects women in his own way (as he tells Dorothea in their B Support) and even mellows out in his epilogues. Don't get me wrong, I still don't like him, but that's still better than Sylvain, who has no end goal (beyond the aforementioned "ruin as many lives as possible and blame everyone else for it") and continues treating women like dirt in his epilogues.

What confuses me is how popular he is. I know confidence and humour are popular, but I don't get how anyone can look past all of that other stuff (unless they somehow managed to skip all of the Supports and dialogue that touch on it)...I know there are people here who like him, so would like to hear their thoughts.

I haven't played the Blue Lions route or recruited Sylvain, so all my input is going to be limited and general.

A character doesn't have to be likable as a person to be interesting as a character. There's a reason characters like Volke and Shinon are popular characters and that even outright villains can sometimes be popular characters. How much a person likes a character as a character is not really related to how much they like a character as a person. It really has to do with how interesting they find a character to be. 

For an example outside Fire Emblem, I find Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda games to be an interesting character. I definitely would not consider him a good person, but, as a character, his cunning (that leads him to frequently outsmart Link and even Zelda) and aspects of his personally are rather interesting. 

I personally don't like characters that are pigs; mainly because I find that the jokes about them get old quickly. When I actually get around to Blue Lions, I'll see if Sylvain's an exception or not. 

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I haven't played the Blue Lions route or recruited Sylvain, so all my input is going to be limited and general.

A character doesn't have to be likable as a person to be interesting as a character. There's a reason characters like Volke and Shinon are popular characters and that even outright villains can sometimes be popular characters. How much a person likes a character as a character is not really related to how much they like a character as a person. It really has to do with how interesting they find a character to be. 

For an example outside Fire Emblem, I find Ganondorf in The Legend of Zelda games to be an interesting character. I definitely would not consider him a good person, but, as a character, his cunning (that leads him to frequently outsmart Link and even Zelda) and aspects of his personally are rather interesting. 

I personally don't like characters that are pigs; mainly because I find that the jokes about them get old quickly. When I actually get around to Blue Lions, I'll see if Sylvain's an exception or not. 

HA! Gotcha.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

You have a more nuanced appreciation of the game, which is something I appreciate. I don't know what it is about Three Houses or if this is true for everything, but characters seem to be extremely polarizing, with people putting their favorites on a pedestal, convinced they can do no wrong, or the exact opposite where they're the absolute worst without a single redeeming quality (look no further than Edelgard/Rhea conversations). For a game that usually manages to balance the negatives and positives to each character, fans seem to see it as black and white a lot.

That's a very interesting thing, isn't it?
For years now, nearly everywhere you looked you've seen people scream and shout for "nuanced" and "gray" characters in Fire Emblem. Three Houses has them in spades and now they're trying to shove them into black and white molds (no better example than the Edelgard/Rhea conversations you mentioned). Granted, not everyone is like that (as usual), but it is certainly noticeable.
I'm not versed in psychology, but I feel like the answer to that apparent contradiction lies somewhere in there.

3 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I've thought about that before and I think it's a combination of effective moderation both from the mods and also from users minding their behavior. Unlike other places (Reddit, Gamefaqs etc) I feel like it's easier to develop a community that values civility if not mutual respect because each poster has more identifiable traits. We all have our profile pictures and signatures and when you recognize a person as an individual that you'll be seeing around again and again, you might be less inclined to be a jerk when voicing your opinions.

True.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Agreed. A good character doesn't necessarily have to be a good person, as you said. If that was the case, characters like Darth Vader, Freeza, the Joker, or Ganondorf wouldn't be as popular as they are.
Though for me personally, if a character is genuinely a good person, I'm more willing to look past hypothetical lack of depth or them being a bit bland. An example would be Mercedes, whom I quite like because she is a good person who tries to help people in need and is usually nice to everyone (almost like a mother, really), but people have called her a boring character.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For years now, nearly everywhere you looked you've seen people scream and shout for "nuanced" and "gray" characters in Fire Emblem. Three Houses has them in spades and now they're trying to shove them into black and white molds (no better example than the Edelgard/Rhea conversations you mentioned). Granted, not everyone is like that (as usual), but it is certainly noticeable.
I'm not versed in psychology, but I feel like the answer to that apparent contradiction lies somewhere in there.

The contradiction probably lies from taking lone voices as the opinion of the whole. I think one of the best examples of that is when I made a "Which Byleth do you prefer" thread and the overwhelming number of comments were complaining about female Byleth's design, but the actual poll attached to the topic had them roughly at 50% each in popularity.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The contradiction probably lies from taking lone voices as the opinion of the whole. I think one of the best examples of that is when I made a "Which Byleth do you prefer" thread and the overwhelming number of comments were complaining about female Byleth's design, but the actual poll attached to the topic had them roughly at 50% each in popularity.

Ya sadly the community gets characterized by the really vocal members, but I guess no community escapes that.

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

It's because the game shoves Edelgard/Dimitri into a 'black or white' categories depending on the route you take. The most jarring is the contrast on how the BE students react to Edelgard declaring war on the church in CF and SS. In CF  they're all about supporting and believing in Edelgard but in SS they act like how Edelgard is horrible and must be stopped. The characters' reactions and opinions on Edelgard (or Dimitri/Rhea) are soley based on the player's decision. The contradicting reactions toward Edelgard just forces us as gamers to view her characterization in black and white and not 'gray'.

Honestly, 3H did not show Edelgard/Dimitri as morally gray characters that well at all. 

edit: I mixed my routes up oops

Edited by zuibangde

1 hour ago, zuibangde said:

It's because the game shoves Edelgard/Dimitri into a 'black or white' categories depending on the route you take. The most jarring is the contrast on how the BE students react to Edelgard declaring war on the church in CM and SS. In Crimson Moon they're all about supporting and believing in Edelgard but in SS they act like how Edelgard is horrible and must be stopped. The characters' reactions and opinions on Edelgard (or Dimitri/Rhea) are soley based on the player's decision. The contradicting reactions toward Edelgard just forces us as gamers to view her characterization in black and white and not 'gray'.

Honestly, 3H did not show Edelgard/Dimitri as morally gray characters that well at all. 

I don't think the game really shoves Dimitri into a black catgeory. Rhea, yes, but in Cirmson Flower Dimitri's death is viewed as regretable, and almost incidental. Even the most morally questionable thing the Kingdom does, turning its own citizens into monsters, is done by Dedue instead of Dimitri with him explicitly having no knowledge of it.

He does come off as down right murderous and crazy in Verdant Wind though. But even there though it's more depicted that he's seriously lost his mind and it's mostly Edelgard's fault (and a bit of a contrivance to have another three way battle on Gronder field even though Dimitri has absolutely no reason to fight Claude).

28 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Dimitri is not a well made grey character because he basically has a white persona and a black persona whit little to no inbetween.

That reminds me of the meme: " I have two modes. Nicest guy you will ever meet, or F----ing twisted psychopath. Also applies to Rhea to a lesser extent. 

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

HA! Gotcha.

Haha. I think it was obvious from the context that I meant the non-literal meaning of pig. 

3 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Dimitri is not a well made grey character because he basically has a white persona and a black persona whit little to no in-between.

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

That reminds me of the meme: " I have two modes. Nicest guy you will ever meet, or F----ing twisted psychopath. Also applies to Rhea to a lesser extent. 

Funny enough; this is a fairly common media criticism I've seen applied several times, though mostly to multiple-personality characters: shoving two shallow characters into one body does not make a deep character. 

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Agreed. A good character doesn't necessarily have to be a good person, as you said. If that was the case, characters like Darth Vader, Freeza, the Joker, or Ganondorf wouldn't be as popular as they are.

Though for me personally, if a character is genuinely a good person, I'm more willing to look past hypothetical lack of depth or them being a bit bland. An example would be Mercedes, whom I quite like because she is a good person who tries to help people in need and is usually nice to everyone (almost like a mother, really), but people have called her a boring character.

That's often the case for me as well, though I really appreciate when the good person characters also have depth (for example, my favourite of the Elric Brothers in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is Alphonse, not Edward), and I dislike a good person character when they're really badly written. For example, I don't like Corrin or Alm at all. 

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

He does come off as down right murderous and crazy in Verdant Wind though. But even there though it's more depicted that he's seriously lost his mind and it's mostly Edelgard's fault (and a bit of a contrivance to have another three way battle on Gronder field even though Dimitri has absolutely no reason to fight Claude).

that's more a problem with Blue lions than Golden deer though. In VW, like you said, he lost his mind. I believe it's made very clear that time-skip Dimitri doesn't really discriminate on who he kills. His only criteria is if they have killed before that's it. He won't attack innocent but if you have blood on your hands in anyway you're dead to him so by that logic him attacking Claude makes total sense in that scenario. In Blue lions though(Haven't reached the battle of gronder yet in my CF play through), Claude has literally no reason to fight you and that's a contrivance because it doesn't add anything else to the story.

22 hours ago, Ottservia said:

that's more a problem with Blue lions than Golden deer though. In VW, like you said, he lost his mind. I believe it's made very clear that time-skip Dimitri doesn't really discriminate on who he kills. His only criteria is if they have killed before that's it. He won't attack innocent but if you have blood on your hands in anyway you're dead to him so by that logic him attacking Claude makes total sense in that scenario. In Blue lions though(Haven't reached the battle of gronder yet in my CF play through), Claude has literally no reason to fight you and that's a contrivance because it doesn't add anything else to the story.

Wasn't the excuse Claude used to fight you in Blue Lions (Azure Moon) that the fog is making it hard to tell enemies and allies apart?
They didn't make it a Fog of War map, which I think was a good decision, even if it creates a case of Gameplay-Story Segregation. FoW on Gronder would be a nightmare. The battle is already pretty tough if you don't know what's coming. I had a crapton of trouble with it on my first playthrough.

As far as his characterization goes, here's how I would see it (Spoilers for... basically everything).

From the moment you meet him, it's pretty clear that the friendly, well-mannered prince isn't all there is to Dimitri as a character. Byleth remarks how he has "darkness" within him and Felix calls him a boar and an animal and advises Byleth not to "put stock in him as a human being". But as players, we don't get to actually see it until the Remire village incident, so we might dismiss these comments about him at first. When we finally do see his darker side, it comes off as quite shocking (at least that was the case for me, don't know about anyone else). It might seem like he only snapped then and there and went off the deep end after the FE reveal, but in truth, it's always been a part of him. Dimitri has been traumatized by the tragedy of Duscur (and really, who can blame him?). Like so many other heroes of JRPGs, he watched his parents and friends die and suffers from major survivor's guilt, but different from those other characters in a neat subversion of the usual, he didn't take it very well, to say the least. He hallucinates voices telling him to kill, he's practically broken from the moment we meet him. Finding out that Edelgard, the person he made friends with once a long time ago, perhaps even had stronger feelings for, was the Flame Emperor, whom he suspected of being involved in, if not responsible for the tragedy of Duscur, was the moment that got the snowball rolling. Dedue dying to protect him during Cornelia's coup d'état, him being forced to be a fugitive, alone and forced to kill others just to stay alive for years was what finally sent him over the edge. I think it's not an overstatement to say that he was pretty much dead at that point. I mean, he himself implies as much on multiple occasions. And he never really gets better, either, as revealed in a female Byleth's S-support with him.

He bears many similarities to how Liu Bei is portrayed in Romance of the Three Kingdoms: a benevolent man who seeks peace, then he loses someone important to him to betrayal, and he goes on a murderous rampage of revenge against those who wronged him. And both suffer very humiliating defeats that end in their deaths and their respective kingdoms get crippled with no chance of recovery or are completely gone respectively. Difference is, with Dimitri, the player can subvert it by siding with him.
I was actually thinking of making a topic about the similarities between Three Houses and Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors. That's where this line of thought comes from.

Interestingly enough, there are also many parallels to be found between Rhea and Dimitri: both had a traumatizing event that left their mental health in questionable condition and both cling so much to the past that it dictates their every move. And both can suffer from events that finally shatters all sense of sanity (or facade of a benevolent being, depending on how you interpret it) they have left.

22 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

That's often the case for me as well, though I really appreciate when the good person characters also have depth (for example, my favourite of the Elric Brothers in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is Alphonse, not Edward), and I dislike a good person character when they're really badly written. For example, I don't like Corrin or Alm at all. 

Oh yeah, I won't disagree with that.

Edited by DragonFlames

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Wasn't the excuse Claude used to fight you in Blue Lions (Azure Moon) that the fog is making it hard to tell enemies and allies apart?

Was it really? I thought his excuse was more so that things were a little too hectic to really figure it out though I might be misremembering.

22 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

For example, I don't like Corrin or Alm at all. 

Corrin as a character fascinates me for a number of reasons. One reason is due to how polarizing their character is with a lot people. From what I’ve seen, you either love them or hate them with very little inbetween. What I find most interesting about that is that both sides have pretty solid reasons as to why they either like or hate them. I wouldn’t call Corrin a mary sue but I can certainly understand why someone would feel that way about them. On that same token, I can certainly see why someone would consider Corrin to be one of their favorite characters. Corrin is just an extremely interesting character to me cause the more I look at them, the more I learn about what exactly makes them so polarizing to people and it’s very interesting. 

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Was it really? I thought his excuse was more so that things were a little too hectic to really figure it out though I might be misremembering.

Corrin as a character fascinates me for a number of reasons. One reason is due to how polarizing their character is with a lot people. From what I’ve seen, you either love them or hate them with very little inbetween. What I find most interesting about that is that both sides have pretty solid reasons as to why they either like or hate them. I wouldn’t call Corrin a mary sue but I can certainly understand why someone would feel that way about them. On that same token, I can certainly see why someone would consider Corrin to be one of their favorite characters. Corrin is just an extremely interesting character to me cause the more I look at them, the more I learn about what exactly makes them so polarizing to people and it’s very interesting. 

I'm pretty middling on Corrin tbh. I don't really like all the praise s/he gets in game, but I pin that down more to Fates writing than an actual flaw on Corrin as a character.

Edited by Jotari

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm pretty middling on Corrin tbh. I don't really like all the praise s/he gets in game, but I pin that down more to Fates writing than an actual flaw on Corrin as a character.

I have heard FE Warriors does Corrin’s character right.

7 hours ago, Ottservia said:

That might be it, too. I admit, I accidentally skipped over that dialogue in my last AM playthrough and my first playthrough where I read everything was a while ago, so I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I have heard FE Warriors does Corrin’s character right.

FE Warriors does every Fates character included in the base game right. Except the part where they all decide to be stupid for no reason for a short time in the story.
Though you could argue that that was the point where they got them EXACTLY right.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Honestly, I'm pretty neutral on them, too, leaning more on the "I actually kinda like them" side. I honestly don't really see the "too much praise" thing, either. Or maybe it just doesn't bother me as much as it does other people. *shrugs*

On 12/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, Ottservia said:

The mages are in the cutscenes. Then Edelgard does say she’s going to make the battle chaotic. Claude and Dimitri when they fight just has each other go “get out of my way.” Like they weren’t expecting to fight. There is also the fact Claude allowed Dimitri to kill Lorenz. Which he probably didn’t tell the Alliance about. Dimitri was probably viewed as an enemy at that point in AM. They didn’t know he was alive at all in VW till Grondors.

Edited by Julian Solo

On 12/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, Ottservia said:

Corrin as a character fascinates me for a number of reasons. One reason is due to how polarizing their character is with a lot people. From what I’ve seen, you either love them or hate them with very little inbetween.

I think it is more likely that those inbetween don't feel strongly enough to get into the middle of the extremists on either ends once they start going at it. As a character I don't feel particularly strongly about them, although I must admit the revelations version grew on me a little due to the way I looked at the story while doing my screenshot LP.