What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

10 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

Blood pacts are not a bad plot device and are completely okay.

I don't think they're inherently bad, but they did need to be better developed in terms of their limitations: how many can be made? Are they made for each occasion, or are these Blood Pacts ancient? I think maybe it would work better if maybe they were collected and destroyed hundreds of years ago (explaining why so few people know about them now) and Lekain managed to find two that weren't destroyed. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While they're still cool, the "legendary weapons used by a historic hero" trope is overused in the series, and the weapons themselves rarely have much lore behind them.

Which makes me hope for a Fire Emblem game where either a main or side goal is to forge a legendary weapon, and the player could design what they want weapon type to be, whether it focuses on having high might or crit or if it does effective damage, and perhaps even customize how it looks visually. It would probably end up broken, but as a reward to finishing a long quest instead of just being handed to the player at some point with ranging amounts of fanfare. Let us wield an awesome weapon we had some part in creating that wasn't used by some historic figure in the past for once.

I know the forging system kinda allows for this, but I'd like something more substantial than paying some money to give my bronze sword the strength of a steel one and naming it "Gamebreaker" or whatever.

--Sacred Stones is a decent game.

--Just because someone is really good at a game doesn't make a game bad if they don't derive fun from its gameplay (or story, but then again, this is just my opinion). 

11 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

While they're still cool, the "legendary weapons used by a historic hero" trope is overused in the series, and the weapons themselves rarely have much lore behind them.

Which makes me hope for a Fire Emblem game where either a main or side goal is to forge a legendary weapon, and the player could design what they want weapon type to be, whether it focuses on having high might or crit or if it does effective damage, and perhaps even customize how it looks visually. It would probably end up broken, but as a reward to finishing a long quest instead of just being handed to the player at some point with ranging amounts of fanfare. Let us wield an awesome weapon we had some part in creating that wasn't used by some historic figure in the past for once.

I know the forging system kinda allows for this, but I'd like something more substantial than paying some money to give my bronze sword the strength of a steel one and naming it "Gamebreaker" or whatever.

We had so little info on Falchion in Gaiden, that's what I thought it was originally. A newly made weapon forged by Duma specifically to destroy Mila. Still think it's a bit of a shame they attributed it's creation to Naga.

11 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

If Fire Emblem keeps going in this direction where it gets more focused on RPG mechanics, then I feel like sidequests to get the materials to make a legendary weapon definitely feels appropriate in one of the next games. 

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

If Fire Emblem keeps going in this direction where it gets more focused on RPG mechanics, then I feel like sidequests to get the materials to make a legendary weapon definitely feels appropriate in one of the next games. 

Spoiler

Next game Fire Emblem: Path of Nemesis. Chapter 18, massacre the people of Zanado and turn their bones into weapons!

Forging (except for, ironically, FE14 forging), reclassing, and FE13 pair up are all horrible mechanics and I always avoid using them.

Birthright is literally a better awakening in every single way that it pretty much obsoletes it completely.

Forced dismounting needs to return. Mounts need a hard nerf. Though give them their primary weapon instead of sword locking them.

Lyn mode is not that bad. You can beat it in an hour if it really bothers you.

I like the occasional fog map. Shame they've almost completely disappeared.

Too much discussion and lists are based around "efficiency" (read: LTC - 1 or 2 turns), even though half of the games have an actual ranking system with turns a small part of it, and the games are single player ROLE PLAYING games.

I don't understand why people need to take new "official" names as gospel. Do fan discussions and translations really have to match up with the translations some guy (who had no involvement in the development of the original game(s)) made for a glorified slot machine? Keep in mind, FE translators, in their infinite wisdom, gave us such gems as Ced, Raquesis, Caeda, a hard mode called normal, and three Art(h)urs. I personally use names pretty interchangeably.

Edited by DukeBox

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Next game Fire Emblem: Path of Nemesis. Chapter 18, massacre the people of Zanado and turn their bones into weapons!

brb dying to some madmen

Damm you that got a legit chuckle out of me.

3H spoilers:

Spoiler

Apparently Claude is unpopular now and many think his route is useless. My mind might change in future but personally while it could have used the theming about Claude being an outsider more than they did and made it a bit most distinctive (such as to why Rhea wasn't called out by him), I do think there is a point to this route, Also the other presentation issues the game has don't help, we should have seen Dimitri die.

Nemesis showing up was pretty nonsensical, but hey sometimes you awaken a sleeping titan when you raid a resentful race of short-eared dark elves. And that map is fun and wild, so sue me.

I kind of wish Three Houses had done away with classes entirely. We have ways of acquiring skills, mounts and heavy armour could be handled as their own mechanics and the master classes feel a bit weird at times as to what's there and what's not. It would have likely been more of a mess, but I wonder if it was really that implausible.

My word, everyone else sure hates BS now.

If we're talking three houses, Silver Snow should not have been a route spilt off from Crimson Flower. It should have been its own route where you try to decline being a professor, and instead become a Knight of Seiros. I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to mechanics, monastery life, gameplay, or story, but I'd think that much at least. 

17 hours ago, Dayni said:

brb dying to some madmen

Damm you that got a legit chuckle out of me.

3H spoilers:

Hide contents

Apparently Claude is unpopular now and many think his route is useless. My mind might change in future but personally while it could have used the theming about Claude being an outsider more than they did and made it a bit most distinctive (such as to why Rhea wasn't called out by him), I do think there is a point to this route, Also the other presentation issues the game has don't help, we should have seen Dimitri die.

Nemesis showing up was pretty nonsensical, but hey sometimes you awaken a sleeping titan when you raid a resentful race of short-eared dark elves. And that map is fun and wild, so sue me.

I kind of wish Three Houses had done away with classes entirely. We have ways of acquiring skills, mounts and heavy armour could be handled as their own mechanics and the master classes feel a bit weird at times as to what's there and what's not. It would have likely been more of a mess, but I wonder if it was really that implausible.

My word, everyone else sure hates BS now.

Verdant Wind did give us the true final boss the series has been building towards since it inception.

Spoiler

Bandits!

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Jotari said:
On 4/1/2020 at 8:57 PM, Dayni said:

Verdant Wind did give us the true final boss the series has been building towards since it inception.

I agree. To be honest, the most fun I'd ever had with a final boss, and none of it intentional.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:36 PM, Hawkwing said:

3 Houses kind of addressed that though. Hero’s Relics and Sacred Weapons can be used by anyone, just that there are benefits for those who possess the marching crest. In NG+, Crest Items can be given to units so anyone can theoretically wield a relic with its full potential if they wanted to.

8 minutes ago, forsettipatty said:

Heroes is a better strategy game than Awakening or Echoes

😂

I guess that it is hyperbolic, but I also fail to see the strategy in those games. The grid means nothing per se!

On 4/1/2020 at 5:48 AM, DukeBox said:

I don't understand why people need to take new "official" names as gospel. Do fan discussions and translations really have to match up with the translations some guy (who had no involvement in the development of the original game(s)) made for a glorified slot machine? Keep in mind, FE translators, in their infinite wisdom, gave us such gems as Ced, Raquesis, Caeda, a hard mode called normal, and three Art(h)urs. I personally use names pretty interchangeably.

this always bothered me, nearly all the awakening translations are bad and full of shit (Quan? Raquesis? Seriously?) and most of the CYL names are kinda absolute bullshit (Yuliya should be a crime.)

DSFE had some bad ones too, like as you said caeda, but I think Castor is the biggest offender... Changing his entire name to something that barely sounds like a name lmao

I think I recall CYL once calling Thea "Thite" and then when she actually is released she's suddenly Thea, and then you have the FE6 translations calling her Tate.

In cases like these I just use the name I like most.

Edited by Koops

6 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

DSFE had some bad ones too, like as you said caeda, but I think Castor is the biggest offender... Changing his entire name to something that barely sounds like a name lmao

The poor Gemini, the older greek names of the twin half-brother, Castor and Pollux so easily forgotten...

On 4/1/2020 at 5:48 AM, DukeBox said:

I generally accepted Heroes' names until they had the audacity to rename a character who had already been released in America, changing the pronunciation of Yune to Yoon. Fuck that.

6 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I generally accepted Heroes' names until they had the audacity to rename a character who had already been released in America, changing the pronunciation of Yune to Yoon. Fuck that.

Did they? I don't recall that. Then again I never tried to pull her. I assume it's just the voice that's been changed and not the spelling, as Yoon does seem like it'd be a natural way or pronouncing Yune. Given my knoweldge of Japanese phoenoms I'm guessing Yu'ne is what the name is intended to be in the original and that Radiant Dawn got it right and Heroes plain got it wrong. Could even be a case where if they had had to translate it originally they would have gotten it right, but since the name already existed they gave the script to the voice actor and they just read it as they assumed it's meant to be proununced and no one was on the ball enough to realize.

Just now, Jotari said:

Did they? I don't recall that. Then again I never tried to pull her. I assume it's just the voice that's been changed and not the spelling, as Yoon does seem like it'd be a natural way or pronouncing Yune. Given my knoweldge of Japanese phoenoms I'm guessing Yu'ne is what the name is intended to be in the original and that Radiant Dawn got it right and Heroes plain got it wrong. Could even be a case where if they had had to translate it originally they would have gotten it right, but since the name already existed they gave the script to the voice actor and they just read it as they assumed it's meant to be proununced and no one was on the ball enough to realize.

Well, in Japanese the names were completely different. Astartunu, Astarte and Yunnu, becoming Ashunera, Ashera and Yune. So we can't know for sure what the original localization writers were thinking, but Radiant Dawn already made the pronunciation canon, you can't just go around changing it that radically post-release.

7 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

this always bothered me, nearly all the awakening translations are bad and full of shit (Quan? Raquesis? Seriously?) and most of the CYL names are kinda absolute bullshit (Yuliya should be a crime.)

Yeah, those ones where they change a perfectly fine name are especially infuriating. He's not Brad, he's Aran! (we don't already have like 3 of those already!), she's not Stella, she's Astrid! (despite no one else with a norse name around), he's not Harold, he's yet another Arthur! (despite Harold sounding like a perfectly heroic name).

I get changing names that are incomprehensible (like whatever the hell ソーンバルケ is supposed to be), but the above changes are just dumb.

55 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, in Japanese the names were completely different. Astartunu, Astarte and Yunnu, becoming Ashunera, Ashera and Yune. So we can't know for sure what the original localization writers were thinking, but Radiant Dawn already made the pronunciation canon, you can't just go around changing it that radically post-release.

Well Yu'ne is certainly much closer to Yun-nu than Yoon is. My approach to that would be they can change it if I personally approve of it XD Mainly because I really wish Arvis would go back to Alvis. Some European Shadow Dragon names that I grew up on I definitely much prefer (like Dolhr, what is that? Is Marth fighting capitalism?). But also because sometimes names just don't really sound as apporpiate. Like, Marth's original name was Mars in his first localisation, which, while probably what he was always intended to be named after, doesn't really seem appropriate. He wages war, but he doesn't really want to. Aeris being changed to Aerith in Final Fantasy VII I think is generally accepted as an appropriate change for much the same reasons. 

Edited by Jotari

17 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

3 Houses kind of addressed that though. Hero’s Relics and Sacred Weapons can be used by anyone, just that there are benefits for those who possess the marching crest. In NG+, Crest Items can be given to units so anyone can theoretically wield a relic with its full potential if they wanted to.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the legendary weapons being limited to certain characters. Even some of the games that did do this still had some weapons that could only be wielded by a unit with a maxed out weapon rank. Rather, I think it would be a good idea to let the "legendary weapon wielded by historic hero" trope rest for a game or two and maybe give the player the ability to forge their own special weapon over the course of the game (that doesn't use the current forging mechanics).

I think that it's weird that human characters in FE can ingest dragon blood and gain magical powers completely free of side-effects. Even in FE games that were supposed to be deconstructions like Genealogy and Three Houses, they're absorbing dragon blood into their body, and there's no problems whatsoever outside of Dimitri's spontaneous bursts of strength that make him break weapons.