What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

On 3/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, vanguard333 said:

I don't think they're inherently bad, but they did need to be better developed in terms of their limitations: how many can be made? Are they made for each occasion, or are these Blood Pacts ancient? I think maybe it would work better if maybe they were collected and destroyed hundreds of years ago (explaining why so few people know about them now) and Lekain managed to find two that weren't destroyed. 

I agree with this. For such powerful magic, it has no lore which is why it is rightfully viewed as a cop out instead of a well developed plot device. The argument it sucks because it forces two parties who don't want to fight fight is absurd unless blackmail is inherently bad writing which no one would argue. 

Edited by Icelerate

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IS deciding to quit the Cipher card game is the worst decision they ever made. Yeah sure, its region exclusive but that's exactly why they should instead locaise the card games to the west and see where it goes.

You don't see Gamefreak or Nintendo shutting down the Pokemon trading card game do you?

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

IS deciding to quit the Cipher card game is the worst decision they ever made. Yeah sure, its region exclusive but that's exactly why they should instead locaise the card games to the west and see where it goes.

You don't see Gamefreak or Nintendo shutting down the Pokemon trading card game do you?

To play devil's advocate, Fire Emblem, even post-Awakening boom, is much more niche than Pokemon, which the most profitable media franchise in the world at the moment. Even the card game probably grosses comparable amounts to mainline Fire Emblem titles. Besides, there would be no guarantee of financial success if it were localized abroad. Choosing not to do so isn't cowardice or anything but a cautious business decision. 

Question: What would be the general consensus if Sigurd’s death was changed to him looking at the fireworks wondering where Deirdre is, only for Arvis to subtly hint at the whole brainwashing thing with Deirdre present? And then him forcing Sigurd to watch as his army gets slaughtered by Arvis’s on the balcony and then assassinating Sigurd personally with Valflame?

14 hours ago, Alistair said:

To play devil's advocate, Fire Emblem, even post-Awakening boom, is much more niche than Pokemon, which the most profitable media franchise in the world at the moment. Even the card game probably grosses comparable amounts to mainline Fire Emblem titles. Besides, there would be no guarantee of financial success if it were localized abroad. Choosing not to do so isn't cowardice or anything but a cautious business decision. 

So it makes sense to cancel a card game that's inexpensive to produce despite Nintendo alreadly stating that Fire Emblem is their major IP?

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

So it makes sense to cancel a card game that's inexpensive to produce despite Nintendo alreadly stating that Fire Emblem is their major IP?

No. I'm as sad as anybody about the cancellation. I had a lot of fun with the Cipher OC's in Echoes and I was looking forward to more new artworks. I was simply disagreeing with two arguments in your original post:

1. That Intelligent Systems should localize Cipher. I said that, while perhaps overly cautious, it's an understandable business decision given the uncertainty of success.

2. That the cancellation is analogous to GameFreak/the Pokemon company/whatever corporate entity with the power to do so cancelling the Pokemon TCG. I originally said that the Pokemon cards probably make way more money than Cipher, and thinking on it further, wouldn't make sense given Pokemon'd nature as a multimedia franchise. In other words, cancelling the Pokemon TCG would be actively detrimental to the franchise's bottom line, whereas Cipher (and Fire Emblem in general) is much more niche.

I apologize if it seemed like I was saying it was good that Cipher got cancelled. That was not my intention, and I admit I could have phrased my original post to be clearer.

This old thread is still getting replies? Better throw my two cents in.

Three Houses is the worst game in the series. I've played every game except Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening, and Revelations.

yes, I enjoyed Birthright more than Three Houses.

Binding Blade has the best map design in the series and Roy is a great lord (look in his supports!). 

Leif is the best lord in the series character-wise and a really good unit gameplay wise, if you know how to use him properly.

I'm not a huge fan of sacred stones, but Ross is a decent unit without taking the tower into account.

Lyn is probobly the blandest lord in the series and I hope if a Binding Blade remake is made she isn't included.

18 minutes ago, Rejoinable said:

Binding Blade has the best map design in the series and Roy is a great lord (look in his supports!). 

I agree wholeheartedly on the first part!

The second... ehh, Roy's okay.

Merlinus should be in an elibe series remake, but he should be like he is in Fe7 in terms of personality.

- The GBA Fire Emblems are the worst in the series, but SS is the best of those three.

- The Manster arc in Thracia is one of the easiest parts of the game, even on a blind playthrough.

- Most Gen 1 Genealogy units are better than their Gen 2 counterparts.

- Fiona is not the worst unit in Radiant Dawn, Vika is.

- Nolan and Leonardo are good units.

- Three Houses gameplay is among the worst in the franchise.

22 minutes ago, Pro895 said:

- The GBA Fire Emblems are the worst in the series, but SS is the best of those three.

- The Manster arc in Thracia is one of the easiest parts of the game, even on a blind playthrough.

- Most Gen 1 Genealogy units are better than their Gen 2 counterparts.

- Fiona is not the worst unit in Radiant Dawn, Vika is.

- Nolan and Leonardo are good units.

- Three Houses gameplay is among the worst in the franchise.

That is definitely unpopular.

Why is Manster so easy? I remember it being very difficult blind, but once I realised I needed to dump my stat boosters to leif it was pretty easy.

Gen 1 units are technically worse stat-wise and skill-wise, but they're in a harder era. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Vika helps with the swamp map because she's the only flier. Fiona is just... bleh. Meg is probably worse, though.

Nolan is good, Leonardo is debateable, but I'm a fan of him. Willing to admit he's pretty bad without babying, though 

Agreed. Definitely the most overrated game in the series, and I'm afraid that the future games will take inspiration from it.

28 minutes ago, Rejoinable said:

Agreed. Definitely the most overrated game in the series, and I'm afraid that the future games will take inspiration from it.

Either your opinion of both Jugdral and Tellius is higher than mine, or the meaning of the word "overrated" means something different for you.

See, 3H is new and shiny, so it's going to be on the forefront of everyone's minds.  Since the experience is fresh, and there is a lot that 3H does right, I won't blame people for thinking that it's good. . .because like Fates, when it gets things right, it gets them RIGHT.  Plus, the story arguments are amusing (as long as they remain civil).

1 minute ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Apparently I am the only person on this forum who actually really enjoys Fog of War maps? I honestly had no idea how reviled they were until I came here lol.

The only thing that avtually bothers me about them is when I misclick and send a unit into the fog and then the unit bumps intosomething and therefore gets their turn cancelled.

I actually do quite like them, though. They're fun and add an interesting element so that you can't always just use your best unit to cheese it.

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, Benice said:

The only thing that avtually bothers me about them is when I misclick and send a unit into the fog and then the unit bumps intosomething and therefore gets their turn cancelled.

Pretty much this. I absolutely cannot stand when that happens in a Fog of War map. It ends up ruining everything. 

4 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Apparently I am the only person on this forum who actually really enjoys Fog of War maps? I honestly had no idea how reviled they were until I came here lol.

Combine that with a desert map, and you get Chapter 14 of Binding Blade, ie. arguably the most horrible and terrible map in the entire FE franchise.

5 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Ehhhh, not a huge fan about how it's a handicap only for the player and not for the enemy. I'd be fine with it if the enemy were also affected (it's possible, see: advance wars) but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Combine that with a desert map, and you get Chapter 14 of Binding Blade, ie. arguably the most horrible and terrible map in the entire FE franchise.

To be honest, I liked that map.

Yes, it is a fog of war/ time limit /desert map, but the time limit is pretty lenient, plus it forces the player to use strategies that they'd rarely get a chance to use otherwise.

I actually found the few maps of genealogy to be far worse.

I do understand that this is a very unpopular opinion, though. I can see why people would hate that map.

Chapter 14x is terrible. In every sense.

42 minutes ago, Rejoinable said:

Why is Manster so easy? I remember it being very difficult blind, but once I realised I needed to dump my stat boosters to leif it was pretty easy.

I ended up using all of my stat boosters on Leif on my first playthrough, and I mostly lured out the enemy units to prevent anyone from dying.

46 minutes ago, Rejoinable said:

Gen 1 units are technically worse stat-wise and skill-wise, but they're in a harder era. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The units in FE4's last three chapters are a major nuisance. I'll be the first to say that chapters 6, 7, and 8 are pushovers with the right pairings, but the Lopto mages in 10 and Endgame made me change how I played completely. Your units in FE4 will always be better than the enemy, and this is proven by how the game can be played without being at major risk of losing a character. In Gen 1, you can leave one or two of your units in front of a group of 3-8 guys, and they all just drop dead in a single enemy phase, the exception being Chapter 3's Cross Knights and the part with Tailtu, Claud, and Bridget. In Gen 2, you can do the same until the enemy decides to take things seriously and not just gather around Ced, who's standing on a forest tile with Forseti. The Hel tome is inaccurate, but it drops your 80 health to a one. At that point onwards, rushing the enemy is no longer a viable strategy, and the rest pf the game is like fighting Cross Knights.

1 hour ago, Rejoinable said:

Vika helps with the swamp map because she's the only flier. Fiona is just... bleh. Meg is probably worse, though.

Forgot about Meg XD. Brom would be ashamed after seeing her base stats.

37 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Either your opinion of both Jugdral and Tellius is higher than mine, or the meaning of the word "overrated" means something different for you.

See, 3H is new and shiny, so it's going to be on the forefront of everyone's minds.  Since the experience is fresh, and there is a lot that 3H does right, I won't blame people for thinking that it's good. . .because like Fates, when it gets things right, it gets them RIGHT.  Plus, the story arguments are amusing (as long as they remain civil).

I like Jugdral and Tellius, but they both have some glaring flaws. But the most liked game seems to be three houses, so it's fair to say I think it's overrated.

I was hoping the hype would die down a bit over time, but it's still the main topic of many discussions. I'm not sure when the love for it will slow down, but I'm afraid it won't for a while.

1 minute ago, Pro895 said:

I ended up using all of my stat boosters on Leif on my first playthrough, and I mostly lured out the enemy units to prevent anyone from dying.

The units in FE4's last three chapters are a major nuisance. I'll be the first to say that chapters 6, 7, and 8 are pushovers with the right pairings, but the Lopto mages in 10 and Endgame made me change how I played completely. Your units in FE4 will always be better than the enemy, and this is proven by how the game can be played without being at major risk of losing a character. In Gen 1, you can leave one or two of your units in front of a group of 3-8 guys, and they all just drop dead in a single enemy phase, the exception being Chapter 3's Cross Knights and the part with Tailtu, Claud, and Bridget. In Gen 2, you can do the same until the enemy decides to take things seriously and not just gather around Ced, who's standing on a forest tile with Forseti. The Hel tome is inaccurate, but it drops your 80 health to a one. At that point onwards, rushing the enemy is no longer a viable strategy, and the rest pf the game is like fighting Cross Knights.

Forgot about Meg XD. Brom would be ashamed after seeing her base stats.

Well, not every blind player is going to feed everything to leif. Most wouldn't, actually.

Fair enough, but I don't ever recall actually being hit by Hel. Maybe I just abused terrain bonuses? Charm helps, too.

5 minutes ago, Rejoinable said:

I like Jugdral and Tellius, but they both have some glaring flaws. But the most liked game seems to be three houses, so it's fair to say I think it's overrated.

I was hoping the hype would die down a bit over time, but it's still the main topic of many discussions. I'm not sure when the love for it will slow down, but I'm afraid it won't for a while.

1. Don't post twice in a row, use the plus sign to enable Multiquote.
2. If you like something, you're probably less likely to realize that it's overhyped.

I don't think 3H is perfect, but I understand why it's as loved as it is.  You'll need to take things like that into account, because this is the first truly mainstream FE for a Nintendo system.  In other words, it naturally has more attention than its predecessors, and it's going to stay that way for a long time.

9 hours ago, Rejoinable said:

I'm not a huge fan of sacred stones, but Ross is a decent unit without taking the tower into account.

I don't think that's too unpopular. He gets like 1/3 level just for chipping at a point when you can't buy javelins yet, and his hatchet has a great hit rate. Early game maps are small enough for him to keep up with even just 4 move, promoting him by the fog chapter isn't terribly hard.

Then he's only one of two axe users before units starting promoting, and unlike his dad he can double somewhat reliably once he gets to pirate. He's not the best unit; he can easily be skill screwed and low move can suck in a game where all the cavs are good, but he's solidly average / slightly above average. 

Berkut was done absolutely filthy in SOV, and what happened to him makes me resent Alm and be unable to see him as the hero he is supposed to be. Rudolph knew what he was doing - setting Berkut up to be merely an obstacle who could benefit Alm. Someone to challenge Alm. Those around him knew this, yet they stood by and watched as he grew more and more desperate to prove his worth. Rudolph set Berkut up for Alm to swan in and pull an "I'm about to end this man's whole career" on him. ...And so he did.

What makes this even more egregious is that after tarnishing his name and ruining his life, Alm decides that he no longer wants to fight Berkut...after he learnt the truth about Rudolph being his father. Alm wanted Berkut on his side because he wanted a family, and he was willing to put the past behind him, inconsiderate of everything Berkut had endured at his hands. Berkut wanted a family, too. Only his family lied to his face and treated him as an expendable tool for his naive little cousin's moment in the sun. How could Alm possibly expect Berkut to turn around and say "I know you've ruined my life and you're the reason why my life has all been a lie...but whatever, I'll join you!" - How about no? That's ridiculous.

And yet, we're supposed to support Alm's decisions. I have never felt worse about killing a villain in a game, ever. His torment was justified, and I found myself rooting more for Berkut than Alm as the game went on. Until he effectively lost his mind, he didn't like Duma, he didn't like the Faithful or their ideals (even by the end, he still didn't - technically speaking). He wanted to protect his nation, and did everything in his power to do so. I'm sure this is controversial, too, but Berkut honestly had more of a personal interest in defeating Duma than Alm did. Alm's reason is that he was "destined" to do it.

"Rudolph cared about you, Berkut." - No he did not. Everything Alm says to Berkut after that moment is useless drivel, as Berkut himself points out. Rudolph never cared for Berkut, considering he was willing to toss him in the garbage for Alm to do his own thing.

Alm is naive and inconsiderate, and I will never look at him as the glorious hero many see him as. And if this wasn't a Fire Emblem game, where most villains need to suddenly support the do-no-wrong hero on their deathbed, his idiocy in the whole Berkut debacle would be far easier to see.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:29 AM, Perkilator said:

Question: What would be the general consensus if Sigurd’s death was changed to him looking at the fireworks wondering where Deirdre is, only for Arvis to subtly hint at the whole brainwashing thing with Deirdre present? And then him forcing Sigurd to watch as his army gets slaughtered by Arvis’s on the balcony and then assassinating Sigurd personally with Valflame?

It would probably be for the worse, mainly because Arvis is generally well received as an anti-villain who tried to make things better, but fucked up royally.

Making him aware of Deirdre's brainwashing changes too much about his character.

• He'd be fully aware that he's taking Sigurd's wife. As much as Arvis is willing to destroy Sigurd in order to make himself look good, that's probably a step too far for him.
  • Arvis wants a genuine romantic relationship with Deirdre, and him being okay with the above bullet point seems to contrast that pretty heavily.
  • He'd have to either be aware of who she is, or constantly wonder why Manfroy brainwiped her. One makes his role in birthing the anti-Christ much more direct, while the other makes him way more reckless and carefree than he is.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

It would probably be for the worse, mainly because Arvis is generally well received as an anti-villain who tried to make things better, but fucked up royally.

Making him aware of Deirdre's brainwashing changes too much about his character.

• He'd be fully aware that he's taking Sigurd's wife. As much as Arvis is willing to destroy Sigurd in order to make himself look good, that's probably a step too far for him.

Wait, what makes you say he didn't know? My impression of the scene, given how he flaunted her in front of him, tried to goad her into telling him she hated him for killing his father, and took her back inside the instant she started saying Sigurd looked familiar, was that he knew full well he had stolen Sigurd's wife.

Also, Manfroy talks about her memory loss in front of him and taunts him with what will happen if she remembers.

Edited by Alastor15243

On 4/5/2020 at 11:01 PM, Rejoinable said:

I would not say best in the series since the maps are generally long and some have padding problems as well. Especially chapter 21 where the map itself isn't bad but the enemy placements are.