What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Regarding the Lilina and Durandal thing, here's dialogue from Chapter 3:

Hector:
“Don’t worry… In Ostia..we have a weapon…that is effective against the Dragons…”

Roy:
“A weapon…?”

Hector:
I have already told Lilina where it is hidden… Take care of her, too… She…may seem strong…but she is still a child… Give her your support…”

And just in case someone had forgotten it, here's dialogue from Chapter 7:

Roy:
“So if we had those weapons, we would be able to put up a fight against the Dragons. But I wonder what a Divine Weapon is doing in Ostia?”

Merlinus:
Perhaps Lady Lilina can answer that. I can only speculate. Oh! Master Roy, our men have finished battering down the gate. We can finally go inside!”

So yeah, the game tells you. More than once, in fact.

Now, how does that translate to keeping her alive? Well, you know what they say: Dead Men Tell no Tales...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, you know what they say: Dead Men Tell no Tales...

The Pirates of the Caribbean fan in me sees this as a PotC reference, and i approve, even if it wasn't meant to be.

Just now, Armagon said:

The Pirates of the Caribbean fan in me sees this as a PotC reference, and i approve, even if it wasn't meant to be.

Nah, it was totally a PotC reference, heh.

Also, I hate Jakob from FE14. I don't like anime butlers for some reason, while Jakob is an asshole to most people, including Dwyer. But despite that, I also really like Azama. I like how he's somewhat of a troll in his supports.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Creating War Dragons =/= ordering them. Idoun and the War Dragons can't really do anything unless they are ordered to.

Wait wait wait...so you're saying that on the bad ending, she was never ordered to do so which makes sense but on the best ending, she was ordered to do so? Is that what you're getting at?

How does the true ending end on a cliffhanger? Bern is defeated, Idoun's soul is restored, Guinevere becomes queen of Bern, the Lycia Alliance becomes the Kingdom of Lycia, the Western Isles become their own independent nation. How is this a cliffhanger? Blazing Blade's ending is a cliffhanger. Binding Blade's isn't. Binding Blade's story wrapped up pretty nicely.

Where the hell did I mention that  the true ending is a cliffhanger? I was referring to the bad ending which somewhat does that.

>Story is good
>Story is bland

Pick one. Usually, people don't associate good and bland together.

Just so you know, presentation is also vital in story writing so it does make sense for some to say that the story is bland because the presentation itself is bland. 

If you remove that, you have here what is an overall script of a good story that only needed solid presentation to make it solid.

Because FE7 was never planned in the first place. FE7 was planned after FE became popular due to Marth and Roy's presence in Melee. Had Marth and Roy never been in Melee, FE7 would've never happened.

FE6 was released a year after Smash got released in US... by then, Roy and Marth were becoming popular, so the idea of FE7 being released one year after it is still not making any sense.

7 hours ago, Jave said:

The game doesn't tell you to keep Lilina alive because keeping her alive is Fire Emblem 101. Geez Louise, man.

Tell that to those who play Fire Emblem classic mode and accept characters being dead and move on. Not everyone is going to reset and play the whole chapter again just because one unit is dead. 

That being said, I forgot that Hector did mention to Roy that Lillina knows the divine weapon so my bad on that part I guess....still the bad ending is underwhelming regardless.

To actually bring things back on track, an unpopular opinion: I don't like the Awakening portrayals of Alm or Celica. Aside from my problems with how inaccurate they are to Gaiden among other things, they're also not particularly well-written or interesting.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

FE6 was released a year after Smash got released in US... by then, Roy and Marth were becoming popular, so the idea of FE7 being released one year after it is still not making any sense.

Melee was released December 2001 in the US. Binding Blade came out in March 2002.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

Because FE7 was never planned in the first place. FE7 was planned after FE became popular due to Marth and Roy's presence in Melee. Had Marth and Roy never been in Melee, FE7 would've never happened.

FE7's development began almost immediately after FE6, but its development time ballooned to about a year and a half due to added and modified mechanics, as well as the addition of Lyn mode.

Edited by AzureSen

Guys, can we stop arguing and get back on track? Here, another unpopular opinion:

Fire Emblem Heroes not being out in the Philippines makes no sense. Come on, most Filipinos understand English well enough to be able to play. It doesn't even need you to go outside, unlike Pokémon GO.

Edited by Purple Mage

1 hour ago, AzureSen said:

Melee was released December 2001 in the US. Binding Blade came out in March 2002.

Yeah but wouldn't it make sense to have delayed Binding Blade instead of releasing it and then release Blazing Sword?

@Purple Mage If you ask me, Heroes should be released globally instead of being region exclusive since making games on mobile and releasing games on mobile are cheaper.

Edited by Harvey

24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Yeah but wouldn't it make sense to have delayed Binding Blade instead of releasing it and then release Blazing Sword?

How does delaying the release of an already finished and marketed game, especially one they had the protagonist show up in a different game just to generate hype for, for however long the development cycle for its prequel would be (which would be about seven months initially, according to a dev interview) make sense? 

Edited by AzureSen

Ooh, it's been a while...

- Xane is one of the best shapeshifters and deserves more love.

- I'm gonna keep stressing this, Marth is the best lord.

- Archanea is the best continent and actually feels like it's going through donkey's years of war.

- Maria is one of the best healers, alongside Rhys from the Tellius games.

- Ike/Ranulf is way better than Ike/Soren.

- Heroes actually has a really interesting story.

- Kiran > Kris and Corrin, and that's saying something. Obviously, Robin is way better, though.

- Warriors is looking so damn good and people need to suck it up and deal with the fact that they're only using SD, Awakening and Fates.

1 hour ago, AzureSen said:

How does delaying the release of an already finished and marketed game, especially one they had the protagonist show up in a different game just to generate hype for, for however long the development cycle for its prequel would be (which would be about seven months initially, according to a dev interview) make sense? 

Because FE6 feels like its rushed in some aspects?

1 hour ago, Lautsuu said:

Kiran > Kris and Corrin

Considering that he ACTUALLY IS the player, is probably the best reason why imo. Then again, Kris and Corrin are so uninteresting and annoying that it doesn't take much to get past them in terms of likability.

I don't think Lucina is a good character and her popularity is unjustified.

Awakening was released 4-5 years ago and to this day I still don't get the appeal of her character (other than being a decent Smash character to play as, thanks to the patches).

4 minutes ago, Akabon said:

I don't think Lucina is a good character and her popularity is unjustified.

Awakening was released 4-5 years ago and to this day I still don't get the appeal of her character (other than being a decent Smash character to play as, thanks to the patches).

This one has always gotten me. Like a lot of people have pointed out, she's basically just Future Trunks, only without the badass accomplishments or the character development Trunks and Vegeta gave each other. 

I'm also really not a fan of her design. Female Cloud did jackshit for me for Lightning, Female Marth did jackshit for me for Lucina.

Edited by Slumber

40 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Ok..now I think you're really defending even the game's main flaws here.

Game's main flaws

-Doesn't really tell you how to access most Gaiden chapters, even if most of them are "complete in x amount of turns".

-The story is good but it's basically a retelling of Marth's games (which are also good but it's something we've already seen) 

-Roy's late promotion 

-Ch.21 

-Supports that aren't Roy x Lilina take forever to get (but tbh, this applies to FE7&8 as well) 

-Gameplay isn't exactly the best, as it tends to favor sword units and mounted units. That being said, the gameplay isn't absolute shit like FE4's.

-There are too little promotion items, not counting ones you get from the Secret Shop.

-Idoun, the final boss, is an absouote joke (though to be fair, the Binding Blade is OP as hell)

Those are the main flaws with this game, at least in my eyes. It's a good game, but no game is perfect.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Game's main flaws

-Doesn't really tell you how to access most Gaiden chapters, even if most of them are "complete in x amount of turns".

Then how is it that me telling that to access gaiden 8x, you need to keep her alive not cryptic besides being a blue unit?

The story is good but it's basically a retelling of Marth's games (which are also good but it's something we've already seen) 

Which I already said that its good. Basically, what I think you're getting at is since the game's presentation is so identical to that of FE1, it kinda looks underwhelming because of its lack of acting or atleast lack of cutscenes or character drama. I'm pretty sure that had the Marth games did some amount of presentation like..oh idk, some additional cutscenes in between games (i'm not aware if New Mystery does this so don't judge me on that), the story of depth may have been solid. Infact, presentation is one of the main reasons why I like SoV's overall plot.

I personally like FE4's plot better because again, it has better presentation than that of FE6. To see Sigurd and the other units get killed by Alvis is far more dramatic than seeing Hector get killed by Zephiel. All because FE4 has better depth of presentation.

Roy's late promotion 

Even if that is fixed, the game still has other issues in mind...

Gameplay isn't exactly the best, as it tends to favor sword units and mounted units. That being said, the gameplay isn't absolute shit like FE4's.

Ok...I get you don't like FE4 that much, but to say that FE6 is a more balanced game than that is the more exaggerating side of FE6..unless its of course your unpopular opinion.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

There are too little promotion items, not counting ones you get from the Secret Shop.

Actually, promotion items are the least of the problem...actually scratch that, they are not that big a deal.

You only need one Hero Crest and that has to go to either Rutger or Dieck. After that, you don't need the rest of them since the only units you need later on are the ones on horse which again you only need one Knight Crest or two which the game generously gives you(even so in Chapter 21...for some dumb reason). After that, that's all you need. If anything, the lack of promotional items help make the game more tactical making you think hard on whom to promote and who needs it for your team that badly. 

I'll even go as far as to say that even the Guilding Rings are sufficient since you only need one or two if your desperate for a mage clan but even so, one is all that's needed since you get one mage that tops all the other magic users bar none except for staves obviously.

Idoun, the final boss, is an absouote joke (though to be fair, the Binding Blade is OP as hell)

Then again, if one somehow broke the blade, she would be quite difficult to kill her.

-Supports that aren't Roy x Lilina take forever to get (but tbh, this applies to FE7&8 as well) 

Nitpicking on my part, but FE6's supports really are the slowest of the three. Only supports between members of one family (plus two of Fae's supports) grow at a +3 rate, everything else grows at +2 or +1. Sacred Stones, on the other hand, has exactly one +1 support (between Rennac and Tethys).

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

-Idoun, the final boss, is an absouote joke (though to be fair, the Binding Blade is OP as hell)

I see Jahn as the disappointment, not Idoun. Her being rather weak is very fitting, given that she's made into a breeding machine, not a terror on the battlefield. Jahn even narrates that the eight legends were surprised to see that the demon dragon was just a young girl. But since Jahn explodes if you only wave a legendary weapon in his general direction, FE6 lacks a respectable final boss.

Also, I like chapter 21. ;) It's got that epic feel of mowing through hordes of dragon riders down pretty well. Other than that, I find your complaints reasonable, with the hidden gaiden requirements being the worst part, especially since the game doesn't always tell you when you miss a turn limit.

46 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Then how is it that me telling that to access gaiden 8x, you need to keep her alive not cryptic besides being a blue unit?

Because the game literally tells you twice. 

47 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Which I already said that its good. Basically, what I think you're getting at is since the game's presentation is so identical to that of FE1, it kinda looks underwhelming because of its lack of acting or atleast lack of cutscenes or character drama. I'm pretty sure that had the Marth games did some amount of presentation like..oh idk, some additional cutscenes in between games (i'm not aware if New Mystery does this so don't judge me on that), the story of depth may have been solid. Infact, presentation is one of the main reasons why I like SoV's overall plot.

I mean, i personally think that FE6's plot>FE1/11's. FE3/12 is somewhere in the middle. But from an objective standpoint, FE6's plot is basically FE3's, with a bit of FE1 in there.

49 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I personally like FE4's plot better because again, it has better presentation than that of FE6. To see Sigurd and the other units get killed by Alvis is far more dramatic than seeing Hector get killed by Zephiel. All because FE4 has better depth of presentation.

Oh yeah, FE4 had the better plot. Though the ironic thing is that, for me at least, Roy is better than Sigurd. Because i can't even rememeber what kind of person Sigurd was other than he was OP in the battlefield.

50 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Even if that is fixed, the game still has other issues in mind...

Nah, Roy's late promotion is one of the bigger issues with this game. A lot of complaints come from the fact that he falls behind a lot due to late promotion. I personally remedy that a bit with the Boots but even then, it's not a full solution. 

54 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Ok...I get you don't like FE4 that much, but to say that FE6 is a more balanced game than that is the more exaggerating side of FE6..unless its of course your unpopular opinion.

It's not even an unpopular opinion. FE4 really does have worse gameplay FE6. I'm gonna copy this from my Best amd Worst Gameplay thread: 

Spoiler

As for the worst gameplay in the series, i think that belongs to Genealogy of the Holy War. While i like that the maps fit like pieces of a puzzle if you place them over the map of Jugdral, i despise how big they are. It makes getting from point A to point B feel like a slog. This is why i believe that Genealogy of the Holy War has the worst map design in the entire series. I'd rather have Awakening and SoV's bland maps. Hell, i'd rather have Revelation's gimmicky maps. Ch.7 in Genealogy of the Holy War is the worst map in the entire series. Desert maps are terrible. Here's one that's huge. It's also filled with Fenrir-casting Druids. Fenrir has a range of 3-10 in this game. Have fun.

This game also has terrible unit balance. The way it works is, units who have either a mount, a Holy Weapon (and by extension, Holy Blood), or the Pursuit Skill are automatically better than units who don't have that. Granted, most characters, especially those in the 2nd Gen, have Holy Blood, but they are still inferior to those who have Holy Blood AND a mount. I also still question Kaga's decision to remove the trade mechanic, replacing it with a pawnshop mechanic that is really just trading, except it takes much longer than it should. Plus, it effectively means that the simple action of trading costs money. Another reason why i think this game has bad gameplay is because, the enemy is capable of switching weapons during the player phase. For example, Generals can use all physical weapons. During the enemy phase, a General attacks with a bow. Then, during the player phase, you attack that same General, only for it to automatically equip it's lance and counter-attack. You can't do that but the enemy can. It's not even fair. And then, as a personal nitpick, i never liked how Lv.20 is the minimum promotion level requirement. It takes too long to get there, especially for Staff-users."

There was also a part about the villages in FE4 are terrible but i'm currently in a debate regarding that so i left it out.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Then again, if one somehow broke the blade, she would be quite difficult to kill her.

Even then, you've got battlefield monsters such as Dieck, Rutger, and Percival. Idoun can't attack from a distance so it's easy to bombard her with mages as well.

12 minutes ago, ping said:

Nitpicking on my part, but FE6's supports really are the slowest of the three. Only supports between members of one family (plus two of Fae's supports) grow at a +3 rate, everything else grows at +2 or +1. Sacred Stones, on the other hand, has exactly one +1 support (between Rennac and Tethys).

Heh, fair enough. I didn't know the support growth rates. They all just felt really slow. Hector x Florina takes years.

13 minutes ago, ping said:

FE6 lacks a respectable final boss.

I mean, you aren't wrong. Although if you get the bad ending, then Zephiel makes a respectable final boss. He's harder to deal with than both Idoun and Jahn.

Mounted units (Cavalry, Pegasus, Wyverns) are the best type of unit in any game.

TMS#FE is a great game and needs a sequel.

The majority Fates characters are underrated.

There should be a FE game where the climax doesn't involve dragons/demons/gods.

I don't know if this is really unpopular, but I do think a sc-fi Fire Emblem would be pretty cool and a nice break from the medieval setting. It would also be a good way for them to break away from the same evil dragon god trope that tends to persist in pretty much every FE game with the exception of like 2 which would be a breath of fresh air.

15 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Guys, can we stop arguing and get back on track?

Oh don't worry - this started like 7 pages ago when Harvey said his unpopular opinion was not being able to understand how people could complain about Echoes/Gaiden having bland maps but misworded it so it looked like him just spouting off, Armagon and some other guy tried to explain but accidentally made it look like they were telling him he was wrong, Harvey tried to defend himself but made it look like trying to start a fight and it's been on and off ever since with people joining in and leaving as they please, you can just ignore it at this point, most of us do by now. To Armagon's credit, he did leave Harvey alone after a while, but it restarted fairly recently, and other people have been after him too.

15 hours ago, AzureSen said:

I don't like the Awakening portrayals of Alm or Celica. Aside from my problems with how inaccurate they are to Gaiden among other things, they're also not particularly well-written or interesting.

I've always been kind of bothered by almost all the Einherjar that I've seen in their home games, which admittedly isn't many, but I thought Alm saying it was too late to back down now seemed kind of true to form from what I've heard about him - he seemed like he didn't particularly enjoy fighting but was willing to see it to the end should fighting occur.

2 hours ago, Azz said:

I don't know if this is really unpopular, but I do think a sc-fi Fire Emblem would be pretty cool and a nice break from the medieval setting. It would also be a good way for them to break away from the same Evil Dragon God Trope that tends to persist in pretty much every FE game with the exception of like 2 which would be a breath of fresh air.

Then we can begin an Evil Dragon Mech Trope!

In seriousness, though, I'd probably play that.