Jump to content
BlackSymphony

What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Axie said:

it did need more dialogue but the premise of it does not bother me.

dialogue, development, chemistry, you name it.

It needed basicaly everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

as kids.

Then they meet as adults once and fight then they meet again and love???

But it doesn’t happen instantaneously right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

childhood crush / first love you named it, they are star-crossed lover after all.
and showing them have more chemistry by giving more time together in terms of gameplay would steer from "faithful remake" so the inclusion of childhood story is them trying to redeem that. altho why they never try to add more epilogue/after story.. sigh

Gaiden/SoV continent story implication (after the main story) actually better than some FE. because life there have already started deteriorated so much in decades as opposed to just several years because of bad-evil-empire invasion. and the epilogue implication basically changes the continent as a whole not restoring it back to the way it was before

Edited by joevar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Axie said:

i didn't say it was executed particularly well, but at least it's a starting point lol. sometimes in real life that "my childhood love" thing really sticks with you when you see them again. it did need more dialogue but the premise of it does not bother me.

the sigurd/deirdre situation was way further from being functional. i really just took the excuse to drag it because it's baaaad AND their lack of dialogue makes it worse.

If we're just taking base concept into account then I find a dashing lord showing up to sweep a young girl away from the life of strict secrecy she's been confined to like her mother before her just as good as the rather cliched childhood friends trope. It's just Genealogy is heavily hampered by being a game and not having sufficient time to dedicate to that. Which let's face it would need to be a full on romance story with Deirdre and not Sigurd as the focus character. Likewise Gaiden is hampered in developing it's relationship between Alm and Celica by having two separate playable lords on different routes. Neither would be impossible to execute well, and actually showing their backstory a bit really helped Shadows of Valentia, but the gameplay is interfering with the ease in telling both stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revelations is a good game, but a subpar Fire Emblem game. Looking at the story and maps, the focus of every other game in the franchise, I understand why people dislike. But it excels in everything else.

My Castle is one of the best things in the franchise and my biggest hope for the next game is that they combine it with the Monastery from Three Houses. It allows for so much customization and building it up is so much fun.

The unit customization is also the best in the series. How expansive Three Houses is with it's unit customization actually holds it back in my opinion. Everyone becomes a flier except War Masters, your Dancer, and Male Mages. Whereas in Fates, you get to choose two units via Partner and Friendship Seals to give their base classes to the unit in question. This makes builds much more varied through player to player.

And then we get to the thing that ties it all together, visiting other castles and doing castle battles. While the battles could've been slightly better balanced by, say, giving a stat boost to the army that engages, it still is so much fun.

 

Bonus: I hate Weight. The weaker units (in terms of Strength stat) that I want to give the stronger weapons to are the ones that are weighed down the most. Looking at you, Florina.

Edited by #1 Claude Trash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If we're just taking base concept into account then I find a dashing lord showing up to sweep a young girl away from the life of strict secrecy she's been confined to like her mother before her just as good as the rather cliched childhood friends trope. It's just Genealogy is heavily hampered by being a game and not having sufficient time to dedicate to that. Which let's face it would need to be a full on romance story with Deirdre and not Sigurd as the focus character. Likewise Gaiden is hampered in developing it's relationship between Alm and Celica by having two separate playable lords on different routes. Neither would be impossible to execute well, and actually showing their backstory a bit really helped Shadows of Valentia, but the gameplay is interfering with the ease in telling both stories.

Yeah, but based on that, Deirdre could legit easily have fallen in love with Arvis by that logic. Like, if Arvis jsut so happened to be there, helped Deirdre out, that she would just fall for him. Not Sigurd. 

So it makes sense why Deirdre would fall for anyone that was at the right place, right time. 

But Sigurd fell for her just cause she was hot. Basically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If we're just taking base concept into account then I find a dashing lord showing up to sweep a young girl away from the life of strict secrecy she's been confined to like her mother before her just as good as the rather cliched childhood friends trope. It's just Genealogy is heavily hampered by being a game and not having sufficient time to dedicate to that. Which let's face it would need to be a full on romance story with Deirdre and not Sigurd as the focus character. Likewise Gaiden is hampered in developing it's relationship between Alm and Celica by having two separate playable lords on different routes. Neither would be impossible to execute well, and actually showing their backstory a bit really helped Shadows of Valentia, but the gameplay is interfering with the ease in telling both stories.

yes, that's a romance trope, a jane austen kind of deal. it peobably would never work in a game about war and then fe4's deficient writing just made it look silly and kind of disturbing. alm/celica as a concept is more salvageable and the writing is also not as bad.

 

anyway, i am sure it's not unpopular here, but maybe with the wider fanbase: i am fine with some customisation but fe16 (three houses is 16, right? is it how we count it?) seems to way overdo it and going back to at least fe14 levels needs to happen, if not more than that. it's not like it was a hugely successful game anyway, apparently. go back to what worked in fe13/14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Axie said:

it's not like it was a hugely successful game anyway, apparently

which one not succesful? three house?

and yes i think many people here (including me) feels having everyone customizable is too much, but it has its merit too which you cant ignore. replayability and people taste regarding class for example. (yes, it matter to casual who didnt care about efficient run)

Edited by joevar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joevar said:

which one not succesful? three house?

I mean it will probably end up as the best selling in the series (if it isn’t already, I don’t think it is)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joevar said:

which one not succesful? three house?

and yes i think many people here (including me) feels having everyone customizable is too much, but it has its merit too which you cant ignore. replayability and people taste regarding class for example. (yes, it matter to casual who didnt care about efficient run)

yes. i haven't been deep into the fandom for a while but it definitely didn't feel like it was as successful as fe13/14 in terms of engagement (i actually came back because i got into awakening again lol). is that impression wrong?

fire emblem is already a highly replayable franchise in my opinion, it doesn't need to prioritise customisation to the point it starts feeling like a different franchise - but of course they have to do what most people enjoy. i don't begrudge IS for trying out new things.

Edited by Axie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Axie said:

yes. i haven't been deep into the fandom for a while but it definitely didn't feel like it was as successful as fe13/14 in terms of engagement (i actually came back because i got into awakening again lol). is that impression wrong?

afaik yes, its wrong. i mean statistically by looking at Nintendo fiscal report. not saying anything about your pov or taste

Edited by joevar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joevar said:

afaik yes, its wrong. i mean statistically by looking at Nintendo fiscal report. not saying anything about your pov or taste

oh, i know it sold well, but like, i was under the impression it didn't have the lasting impact in the community the previous two games did. fe13 in particular dominated the conversation even outside the fandom for a good few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

I don't think it's so much people turning on it as oversaturation and overzealousness from certain fans. I thought it was good enough but definitely not my favorite, and I think a lot of people have kind of almost gotten tired of seeing it everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

Equally satisfying to see it as someone who hated it and made that plain from day one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

I don't think it's so much people turning on it as oversaturation and overzealousness from certain fans. I thought it was good enough but definitely not my favorite, and I think a lot of people have kind of almost gotten tired of seeing it everywhere. 

I think that this is part of it, yeah. I kinda wish I'd heard the negatives on TH before I'd started it, since my expectations were probably set far too high. I don't think I'd have enjoyed it that much either way, (Hard is very poorly designed, Maddening is atrocious,) but I probably would have at least liked the story and accepted the gameplay for what it is.

Of course, now I am just salty about everyone else liking it, since I basically can't see why it was popular to begin with.

(And honestly I find it easier than Sacred Stones, not gonna lie.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

Honestly it was kinda amusing to me?, kinda reminds me of the TR fandom, where the 2013 Reboot was hailed all the damn time when  it came out and it's only a few years back people started seriously criticizing them.

 

 

Edited by Samz707

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

That isn't really FE 3H exclusive. It's something that happens with a lot of popular games. After the honeymoon phase some fans will change their mind about games. It happens with franchises like Mario, Zelda, Fallout, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy but even with single games like Guild Wars 2 and The Outer Worlds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

That isn't really FE 3H exclusive. It's something that happens with a lot of popular games. After the honeymoon phase some fans will change their mind about games. It happens with franchises like Mario, Zelda, Fallout, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy but even with single games like Guild Wars 2 and The Outer Worlds. 

Yeah but this is honestly the first time I've seen it happen with a game that's been called the "Best in the franchise" before the honeymoon period wore off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah but this is honestly the first time I've seen it happen with a game that's been called the "Best in the franchise" before the honeymoon period wore off.

I think that Breath of the wild is similar, but the general consensus seems to be that people still like it, just less than initially.

Edited by Benice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another problem is how the game is marketed as ‘’your student will change the world’’ it got people’s hopes way too high especially the avatar who was to grounded in fodlan for immersion. People got overhyped and got disappointed later. Byleth being a teacher doesn’t make sense even as a mercenary since the mercenaries normally don’t have magic meaning Byleth can’t teach 2 major subjects in reason and faith magic. And it’s not like sothis is in control of Byleth’s action.She’s more of a spiritual guide and friend for Byleth then anything.Again Jeralt should have been the class teacher since at this point he had more experience to be a teacher than Byleth. Even teaching the theory or textbook version of reason and faith magic doesn’t teach you physically how to use it.

Edited by NaotoUzumaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Another problem is how the game is marketed as ‘’your student will change the world’’ it got people’s hopes way too high especially the avatar who was to grounded in fodlan for immersion. People got overhyped and got disappointed later. Byleth being a teacher doesn’t make sense even as a mercenary since the mercenaries normally don’t have magic meaning Byleth can’t teach 2 major subjects in reason and faith magic. And it’s not like sothis is in control of Byleth’s action.She’s more of a spiritual guide and friend for Byleth then anything.Again Jeralt should have been the class teacher since at this point he had more experience to be a teacher than Byleth

There’s plot reasons for Byleth randomly becoming a professor. I mean that is why it’s mentioned quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah true but if rhea wanted to keeps Byleth she could have made him a squire. Let’s be honest I think she sent Jeralt on mission outside the church while Byleth teaches the students so Jeralt and Byleth are not doing a mission outside where he can tell Byleth about the crestone and their mom Sitri. Rhea wants To influences Byleth without a 3rd party opinion. I’m starting to think she hired kostas to find Jeralt and not the Flame Emperor/Edelgard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Yeah true but if rhea wanted to keeps Byleth she could have made him a squire.

We don’t know if there were any empty squire positions, only an empty professor position.

1 minute ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Let’s be honest I think she sent Jeralt on mission outside the church while Byleth teaches the students so Jeralt and Byleth are not doing a mission outside where he can tell Byleth about the crestone and their mom Sitri.

I mean Jeralt still had a lot of time to do so, and everyone “affiliated with the church” at garreg mach has a mission once per month.

1 minute ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Rhea wants To influences Byleth without a 3rd party opinion. I’m starting to think she hired kostas to find Jeralt and not the Flame Emperor/Edelgard 

But then why would Kostas attack Dimitri, Claude, and Edelgard? And how did he know that Jeralt would show up? How would Rhea know where Jeralt was? And why would the flame emperor be talking to Kostas like he failed if it was Rhea instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Yeah true but if rhea wanted to keeps Byleth she could have made him a squire.

Guess who was a Knight that just went 'nope' and dissapeared from her Radar? His father.

It was a means to keep watch on Byleth

37 minutes ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

I’m starting to think she hired kostas to find Jeralt and not the Flame Emperor/Edelgard 

...did you play the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...