What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

We don’t know if there were any empty squire positions, only an empty professor position.

It still strikes me a  really odd dumb decision.

Byleth can literally only use swords and is (Allegedly) an emotionless mercenary, that doesn't sound like good teacher material in any sort of fantasy setting. (Even if it is to keep tabs on them, I can't imagine Byleth not failing or at least not going so inexplicably smooth as in the game)

It really feels like it only works because Byleth is an avatar and therefore every student who isn't Hubert loves/trusts them inexplicably. 

Edited by Samz707

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I can't imagine Byleth not failing or at least not going so inexplicably smooth as in the game

He is there to teach fighting, which he is super good at. He is known as the ''Ashen Demon''

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It really feels like it only works because Byleth is an avatar and therefore every student who isn't Hubert loves/trusts them inexplicably. 

Hubert

Cyril

Leonie

Seteth before ch8

Claude before ch10 or so

Lys before supports

Dudududu

Infact, Most students don't even trust Byleth at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Shrimperor

Exactly I’m not asking for a masterpiece of a novel in writing. I am asking a question as why is Byleth a teacher when his dad is better suited for the role? Why is learning divine pulse in cutscenes against Kostas makes Edelgard a fellow axe user herself use a dagger to defend herself? Is there a way for her being attack to not be able to defend herself ? Could she have been back attacked? What I want is for the game to show me rather then tell me why this happens. An example when Liffey trains after ace death, he put a 1000 people to sleep 2 years later but we’ve been showed why he trained. I want my question to be ok what next in hype and not be confused at inconsistencies.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

He is there to teach fighting, which he is super good at. He is known as the ''Ashen Demon''

Hubert

Cyril

Leonie

Seteth before ch8

Claude before ch10 or so

Lys before supports

Dudududu

Infact, Most students don't even trust Byleth at the beginning of the game.

Byleth literally only knows a sword though, they're as green as the rest of the students when it comes to literally anything else. (So Lances, magic of two kinds, axes, gauntlets and bows.)

They can teach exactly one thing and well, the story kinda implies they're terrible even at sword fighting considering they nearly get themselves killed, several times near the start, for crying out loud, they nearly lose to a random mage in 1v1 combat, a Mage, the unit type that gets absolutely wrecked in close-combat against physical units, it's like if you had an "Elite Archer" who nearly gets killed in a cutscene against a Pegasus Knight that he had all the time in the world to shoot, so it's not even like Byleth is actually in-universe a good sword fighter, they consistently lose in cutscenes.

Even then characters like Bernadetta, who really, really shouldn't warm up to Byleth in their C support, do so, Bernadetta's entire character is that she's paranoid of everyone but nah she trusts this walking cardboard who gave her food twice, same with Edelgard who I guess is willing to talk about her nightmares with Byleth but not Hurbert.

Just bam, instant time-skip and suddenly almost all of the Black Eagles like you, it's incredibly jarring and feels like an entire chapter or two is flat out cut content.

Edited by Samz707

14 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

the story kinda implies they're terrible even at sword fighting considering they nearly get themselves killed

Protecting Edelgard. Story makes it pretty clear Byleth is a known Mercenary known as the "Ashen Demon" that people fear.

really shouldn't warm up to Byleth in their C support,

After hiding from him god knows how many times

not Hurbert.

Except Hubert knows everything about Edelgard.

Don't forget Byleth protected her life.

instant time-skip and suddenly almost all of the Black Eagles like you

Umm  no? They cleatly mistrust and make fun of him at the beginning (as does every class) then Byleth slowly wins them over until ch7 + supoorts. By Ch12 he is leading them and then he dissapears.

I think Byleth not being able to talk and being a poor teacher would have some merit. Sure, they teach combat, but you cant just beat on your students not tell them what they're doing right/wrong, and expect them to get it. 

Theres alot more to it than that. 

40 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It still strikes me a  really odd dumb decision.

Byleth can literally only use swords and is (Allegedly) an emotionless mercenary, that doesn't sound like good teacher material in any sort of fantasy setting. (Even if it is to keep tabs on them, I can't imagine Byleth not failing or at least not going so inexplicably smooth as in the game)

Just play Silver Snow or look it up. It’s not supposed to make sense...

32 minutes ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

Exactly I’m not asking for a masterpiece of a novel in writing. I am asking a question as why is Byleth a teacher when his dad is better suited for the role?

It wasn’t about being fit for the position, and Jeralt was a renowned former knight captain, why would they make him a teacher?? It’s made very clear when they first talk on screen that Rhea wants him as a knight.

29 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Byleth literally only knows a sword though, they're as green as the rest of the students when it comes to literally anything else. (So Lances, magic of two kinds, axes, gauntlets and bows.)

They can teach exactly one thing and well, the story kinda implies they're terrible even at sword fighting considering they nearly get themselves killed, several times near the start, for crying out loud, they nearly lose to a random mage in 1v1 combat, a Mage, the unit type that gets absolutely wrecked in close-combat against physical units, it's like if you had an "Elite Archer" who nearly gets killed in a cutscene against a Pegasus Knight that he had all the time in the world to shoot, so it's not even like Byleth is actually in-universe a good sword fighter, they consistently lose in cutscenes.

The story has all the answers...

Even then characters like Bernadetta, who really, really shouldn't warm up to Byleth in their C support, do so, Bernadetta's entire character is that she's paranoid of everyone but nah she trusts this walking cardboard who gave her food twice, same with Edelgard who I guess is willing to talk about her nightmares with Byleth but not Hurbert.

I mean, Bernadetta recognizes this is special.

It’s not like we know what he puts in that tea

Just bam, instant time-skip and suddenly almost all of the Black Eagles like you, it's incredibly jarring and feels like an entire chapter or two is flat out cut content.

They were together for an entire year....

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Umm  no? They cleatly mistrust and make fun of him at the beginning (as does every class) then Byleth slowly wins them over until ch7 + supoorts. By Ch12 he is leading them and then he dissapears.

I t ‘ s  n o t  l i k e  w e  k n o w  w h a t  h e  p u t s  i n  t h a t  t e a

31 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Protecting Edelgard. Story makes it pretty clear Byleth is a known Mercenary known as the "Ashen Demon" that people fear.

After hiding from him god knows how many times

Except Hubert knows everything about Edelgard.

Don't forget Byleth protected her life.

She hid from in like 2 monetary explore sessions before I unlocked Bernadetta's C support, she was literally the first C-support I got, she should have been like in other C-supports where she's still clearly uncomfortable about them rather than outright saying that they're more comfortable around Byleth than anyone else and if Byleth's dumb "Sothis EX Friendshipica" is so powerful, why is Hubert seemingly completley uneffected A: and B: that's a writing cop out, not clever writing, justifying your crappy avatar worship is still crappy avatar worship.

Edelgard outright says she's never told anyone else about her nightmares, which presumably includes Hubert.

Hubert seems like the kinda dude who's already killed for Edelgard, probably multiple times.

Byleth also nearly died to the mage in the Tomb and tried to block a fireball with a sword, which only worked because Deus Ex Gladio and is clearly something that wouldn't normally work, they frankly fight like an amateur in that cutscene.

They act like they would with a presumably normal teacher, Byleth literally doesn't often express emotion so I doubt highly they'd get comfortable with them so fast, plus the game literally time-skips past the initial teaching stuff all the way up to the mock battle, so it's a massive whip-lash to the player, pretty much everyone is 100 comfortable with their literal emotionless wooden plank of a teacher with the single exception of Hubert and Bernadetta, which literally only takes feeding her twice and a little more to get her, I literally got her C support and trust as one of the first things in Three Houses.

Yes, it's a time skip, my point is that it's a complete cop-out of a timeskip.

Yes, I know Rhea wants to keep tab on Byleth but my point is that Byleth teaching the students should not have been the seemingly entirely smooth sailing as the game portrays it, there's never any mentions of Byleth having troubles teaching or anything that'd logically happen.

31 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I get the impression all the Black Eagles like Byleth aside from Hubert and I've just finished Chapter 5.

Edited by Samz707

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wow, alot of people hate 3H's story, huh? 

Me? I simply despise the gameplay. It's one of the worst in FE history, IMO. Right down there with FE 1-3. XD

Well this is an unpopular opinion thread so you’re getting hit with a why!

Why do you dislike fe3h’s gameplay lightcosmo?

10 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

She hid from in like 2 monetary explore sessions before I unlocked Bernadetta's C support, she was literally the first C-support I got

those 2 sessions plus whenever you actually looked at the support would be 3 weeks of them getting to know each other in the classroom and around the monastery.

that's a writing cop out, not clever writing, justifying your crappy avatar worship is still crappy avatar worship.

Avatar worship with justification kind of... isn’t avatar worship anymore. It’s just character relationships progressing at that point.

which literally only takes feeding her twice and a little more to get her

And being her teacher for weeks...

Yes, it's a time skip, my point is that it's a complete cop-out of a timeskip.

You wanted to play through all of that?

Yes, I know Rhea wants to keep tab on Byleth but my point is that Byleth teaching the students should not have been the seemingly entirely smooth sailing as the game portrays it, there's never any mentions of Byleth having troubles teaching or anything that'd logically happen.

I mean the game does give you the ability to have the teachers and other monastery faculty teach you... for whatever that’s worth.

I get the impression all the Black Eagles like Byleth aside from Hubert and I've just finished Chapter 5.

That is like 4 months and a week of them knowing each other.

6 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well this is an unpopular opinion thread so you’re getting hit with a why!

those 2 sessions plus whenever you actually looked at the support would be 3 weeks of them getting to know each other in the classroom and around the monastery.

Avatar worship with justification kind of... isn’t avatar worship anymore. It’s just character relationships progressing at that point.

And being her teacher for weeks...

You wanted to play through all of that?

I mean the game does give you the ability to have the teachers and other monastery faculty teach you... for whatever that’s worth.

That is like 4 months and a week of them knowing each other.

I wasn't even aware it was 4 months frankly and yes, I still consider it a writing cop-out.

Well yeah, actually, I thought actually seeing all this stuff was the entire purpose the padded out boring monastery was added to the game, to have deeper characterization rather than skipping all over it because we need to have everyone love the player's OC right away from the player's perspective aside from the mandatory naysayers.

For crying out loud, they don't even have proper animations in the Monastery, heaven forbid we re-use combat punching animations for when Bernadetta punches Ferdinand or have  Petra actually be slashing training dummies with her sword, character's just standing stock still with their idle animation is frankly not acceptable for a modern console game, they literally have animations of these from the game they could use instead of lazily fading to black because proper cutscene direction is hard!

Bernadetta even talks about her hiding in class in her C suport, which had me confused, since that's ALSO entirely skipped over, so instead of us actually seeing Bernadetta slowly getting more used to the class room, maybe even with changing animations and dialogue. (You know, like a good game that's actually concerned with character development.) the game has to TELL, not show, us things Byleth had already known for several months that we, the player, literally do not know outside of a single short scene of her with a book over her head in the intro the monastery, if a story has to clumsily inform us something like this, that's not a good sign, that's something we should have seen with our own eyes.

Edited by Samz707

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

It feels... bland. Enemy setups are boring. The maps arent enticing at all, looks or setup. The animations/graphics dont do it any favors. The character designs are fine, however I dont like the art style used. I like the traditional "anime" style, I guess. 3H they look alot more realistic as people. Which isnt bad by any means, just a reason as to why I dont like it.

The whole thing just feels... stiff? They had great ideas, but didn't really follow through with them, which hurts the game quite a bit, IMO. That or they flat out handled them wrong.

2 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I wasn't even aware it was 4 months frankly and yes, I still consider it a writing cop-out.

I mean there is a calendar in your face the whole time...

Well yeah, actually, I thought actually seeing all this stuff was the entire purpose the padded out boring monastery was added to the game, to have deeper characterization rather than skipping all over it because we need to have everyone love the player's OC right away from the player's perspective aside from the mandatory naysayers.

It’s not really padded out considering you can just skip it... it’s for prep stuff, like getting items and etc and also being with the characters you like!

Bernadetta even talks about her hiding in class in her C suport, which had me confused, since that's ALSO entirely skipped over, so instead of us actually seeing Bernadetta slowly getting more used to the class room, maybe even with changing animations and dialogue. (You know, like a good game that's actually concerned with character development.) the game has to TELL, not show, us things Byleth had already known for several months that we, the player, literally do not know outside of a single short scene of her with a book over her head in the intro the monastery, if a story has to clumsily inform us something like this, that's not a good sign, that's something we should have seen with our own eyes.

Yeah but this is a fire emblem game, we already have huge monastery segments, having a story moment like every teaching session is a lot... I know you didn’t say that but it sounds like you’re implying a lot of it shouldn’t be skipped over.

It’s not really padded out considering you can just skip it... it’s for prep stuff, like getting items and etc and also being with the characters you like!

I personally dont think the idea of "but you can skip it!" Is okay. Like, if you have to skip something to be playable, doesnt that speak for itself as to how poorly designed it is? Shouldnt you want to play that portion of the game? 

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I personally dont think the idea of "but you can skip it!" Is okay. Like, if you have to skip something to be playable, doesnt that speak for itself as to how poorly designed it is? Shouldnt you want to play that portion of the game? 

Well you should but there is no game that everyone will want to play. Some games or parts of games just aren’t to people’s tastes. I’m only saying that it’s not padding, not that skipping it is the only reason why it’s okay.

Well you should but there is no game that everyone will want to play. Some games or parts of games just aren’t to people’s tastes. I’m only saying that it’s not padding, not that skipping it is the only reason why it’s okay.

I know that, but saying its justified by a skip option makes it sound okay for it to be boring. There were certainly better ways to handle the monetary, but as I said before, 3H has good ideas and just doesnt know how to capitalize on them.

Games should try to inspire the player to want to do these events, and making something plain/way too slow, turns alot of people off.

17 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I mean there is a calendar in your face the whole time...

Yeah but this is a fire emblem game, we already have huge monastery segments, having a story moment like every teaching session is a lot... I know you didn’t say that but it sounds like you’re implying a lot of it shouldn’t be skipped over.

It adds nothing, I've talked to characters consistently and aside from Raphel being so obnoxious that he's actually on a hit-list of "Make sure to kill post-timeskip" for me, everyone else has said frankly flavourless dialogue for the most part, either it's "Hey professor did you know PLOT is happening?" or "Hey professor you're so cool!" (such as after Dorothea you get the Sword of the Creator), all of the dialogue is mostly flavourless/characterless stuff, I've literally talked to Casper every single exploration sessions so far and I only know he's a fighter dude because I googled it, literally none of his dialogue has told me anything about him, literally the notice board message from him about tournaments now being a thing gave him more character than actually talking to him 7-ish times, I could literally swap the character scripts for at least up to chapter 5 around for most characters and you wouldn't be able to tell for most of the characters.

They can't even get basic choices right, Sylvian asks me where Felix is, now, I've talked to Felix a bunch...except he's said literally nothing of value and it's all been this replaceable dialogue I mentioned that's told me literally nothing about him, but the game essentially forced me to lie to Sylvian and guess where Felix is because I guess a "Sorry, I don't know where he is" dialogue option was too hard to program in apparently.

No one even moves in the monastery for the most part, it's actually one of the worst "Hub"s I've seen in a video game, everyone just stands around as if they're T-posing, heaven forbid we put some effort in and actually animate people training in the training area! this poor, 2019 video game can not match the high demands and standards set by the hit, well known PC Melter that animated characters training on training dummies, 2006's Oblivion!

"You can just skip it!" isn't an excuse when it's blatantly half-assed and inferior to Morrowind and that came out in 2002 in terms of "The NPCS can actually move! of their own accord!" 

Deadly Premonition is a 2010 low budget 360 Survival horror title, it is set in a small town, in it, every single named character in the town has their own little schedule they wake up, go to their job among other things then head back home, this small game managed to have over 12 characters with entirely unique schedules but apparently Three Houses can't have Edelgard actually swinging her axe at an unmoving target in the training area, Deadly Premoniton actually has a switch port too, so Three houses is completely curbstomped in this regard by a 9 years older game that almost certainly had a much smaller budget and team.

You know what also does this and didn't waste my time running around an awkwardly done map with a bunch of standing around NPCS where almost no one moves and is a completely immersive mess? the Pre-battle menu, it does literally everything the monastery does but 100 times more convenient as I don't even need to teleport to the spots first, the monastery is almost entirely redundant via this menu aside from picking up blue particle effects for random items and a small handful of support/skill based activities, I'd rather just have a menu like the pre-battle menu to access my stuff instead of having to run around/constantly teleport everywhere.

Yeah, it shouldn't have been skipped over, it only makes the game's story weaker and it was A: incredibly dissapointing and B: incredibly awkward for me when I go from "Mysterious new face" to "Everyone's suddenly okay with the quiet weird new professor and the game is literally asking If I'm friends with character's I've interacted with exactly twice from my perspective and know less about than Glass from FE7."

Player's perspective matters, especially for an "Avatar" character.

Edited by Samz707

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

To be fair, most FE games dont know what character development means. They are there for one scene, and then: poof. They are gone from existence. 

Yeah but that's less obnoxious frankly.

I'd rather have an entire cast of Dorcas-like characters who get one scene or two than a Raphel, Edelgard or Bernadetta who are done so poorly its actually annoying.

At least the older FE characters with only one or two character scenes are actively terribly written to the point where it's distracting.

Edited by Samz707

Just now, Samz707 said:

Yeah but that's less obnoxious frankly.

I'd rather have an entire cast of Dorcas-like characters who get one scene or two than a Rahpel or Bernadetta who are done so poorly its actually annoying.

Well, at least they tried. Better than making a character who's purpose is to never be noticed by anyone else. Xd

They do have their moments, I think. 

If anything, it's a surprise the dev favorite black eagles dont get more character development.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, at least they tried. Better than making a character who's purpose is to never be noticed by anyone else. Xd

They do have their moments, I think. 

If anything, it's a surprise the dev favorite black eagles dont get more character development.

Yeah but their moments are completely compromised, Bernadetta goes from an interesting concept to an entirely unfunny joke to the point where it's literally a meme at this point how tone deaf her scenes are.

Baby steps. They gotta figure out how to make complex non main characters first. Still, I give them points for attempting. 

Yeah, theres alot of "convenience" in the plot, but considering how big they wanted the game to be, its impressive they did as well as they did. 

That game... didn't seem like it had the best direction.

8 hours ago, Axie said:

yes, that's a romance trope, a jane austen kind of deal. it peobably would never work in a game about war and then fe4's deficient writing just made it look silly and kind of disturbing. alm/celica as a concept is more salvageable and the writing is also not as bad.

anyway, i am sure it's not unpopular here, but maybe with the wider fanbase: i am fine with some customisation but fe16 (three houses is 16, right? is it how we count it?) seems to way overdo it and going back to at least fe14 levels needs to happen, if not more than that. it's not like it was a hugely successful game anyway, apparently. go back to what worked in fe13/14.

My (probably not all that) unpopular opinion is that we should distpatch of the number naming convention entirely.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, or even an opinion, but its tangentially related so I'll share it.

It's kind of fun to see the community's opinion on Three Houses evolve. There's a such a dramatic shift from people thinking it was going to bring the series to an FE4 level of glory again to people's dissatisfaction with the rushed narrative and visuals, the map design, the merits of Monastery system, etc. Maybe it's just schadenfreude because I didn't buy the game, but it's both funny and fascinating to see people turn on it.

I'm in the funny little camp of people who had all those issues since day 1, yet I still enjoy the game. It's still Fire Emblem, there's not a game in this series I don't enjoy to some extent. But I was always keenly aware of the game's flaws and I knew right from the start that it was only a matter of time before people turned on it. I saw the same thing with Awakening and Fates.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Baby steps. They gotta figure out how to make complex non main characters first. Still, I give them points for attempting. 

Yeah, theres alot of "convenience" in the plot, but considering how big they wanted the game to be, its impressive they did as well as they did. 

That game... didn't seem like it had the best direction.

I don't really agree, baby steps only goes so far and there's a certain point where even with "baby steps" it's awful. (Again literally cutting to black in supports when perfectly usable animations already exist in-game.)

Frankly, I had Plot Conveniences, I can tolerate like one or two but Three houses uses a whole bunch and it's awful. (Edelgard's axe literally vanishes in the prologue because screw basic continuity between our gameplay and cutscenes.) 

I do like Three houses at times but it's by no means "best game in the series!" like some like to claim.

Edited by Samz707