What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'm in the funny little camp of people who had all those issues since day 1, yet I still enjoy the game. It's still Fire Emblem, there's not a game in this series I don't enjoy to some extent. But I was always keenly aware of the game's flaws and I knew right from the start that it was only a matter of time before people turned on it. I saw the same thing with Awakening and Fates.

Mutiny, then? Excellent!

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

To be fair, most FE games dont know what character development means. They are there for one scene, and then: poof. They are gone from existence. 

That’s not actually true for most games in the series. Most characters aren’t involved in the plot much because of permadeath, but support/base/other conversations that supplement minor characters’ plot appearance have existed for a long time.

I haven’t played 3H, but the avatar compromising the development of other characters does not surprise me, it’s a consistent trend whenever the avatar has more importance than FE7’s Mark.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Even then characters like Bernadetta, who really, really shouldn't warm up to Byleth in their C support, do so, Bernadetta's entire character is that she's paranoid of everyone but nah she trusts this walking cardboard who gave her food twice, same with Edelgard who I guess is willing to talk about her nightmares with Byleth but not Hurbert.

here's you need to remember that fire emblem is a game not an anime, novel, manga, tv show etc. It's a matter of medium. Like not every little moment needs to be shown and sometimes that's impossible given the sheer number of characters in fire emblem as well as how the game is structured. Fact is, you have to understand that the passage of time between supports is relatively up to interpretation. The C and B support could take place right after one another or months apart within the story's universe. We just don't know. We can get an idea based on context clues found within the dialogue but again the time frame is vague at best. And the stuff that happens within that timeframe can be anything. Like maybe within that timeframe Bernie warmed up a little more towards and felt comfortable confiding them due to familiarity. Again the timeframe between supports is pretty vague so like it could've been a couple weeks within the story's universe where Bernie was able to talk more with Byleth or be more comfortable around them. Not every little thing is gonna be shown. Sometimes you kinda have to use good old fashion suspension of disbelief and just infer things based on context clues. That's just how writing is sometimes.

58 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Avatar worship with justification kind of... isn’t avatar worship anymore. It’s just character relationships progressing at that point.

honestly "avatar worship" is probably one of the most empty criticisms you can give towards a story because 9 times out of 10 it's not really even a thing. Why? because usually there is some sort of explanation for it be it thematic or otherwise. Robin, Byleth, and even Corrin(I haven't played new mystery so I can't comment on Kris) all have some sort of explanation for being generally liked by people. Robin helped save a town when he didn't need to, Corrin's can be explained away through sibling relations being complicated as well as trust and loyalty playing a huge part in fates's overall themes, and with Byleth it's because they're a strong professor who people respect for their skill. Again there usually is an explanation. Even if it is player pandering I don't really see much of a problem with it so long as it doesn't take away from the story's overall thematic message which it usually doesn't. Another thing about it is that you can kinda call anything involving the avatar player pandering when you really think about it. It's the same reason I don't like "contrived" as a criticism cause you can call anything in a story contrived if you look at it hard enough.

1 minute ago, Baldrick said:

That’s not actually true for most games in the series. Most characters aren’t involved in the plot much because of permadeath, but support/base/other conversations that supplement minor characters’ plot appearance have existed for a long time.

I haven’t played 3H, but the avatar compromising the development of other characters does not surprise me, it’s a consistent trend whenever the avatar has more importance than FE7’s Mark.

Yeah, I meant storyline wise. Supports are mostly fine (except RD) but the story is also important to consider.

i like numbers over names for the games? it's easy to type and understand. sure it's confusing to new fans when three of those games are just remakes but it still saves time lol.

also, did people really believe fe16 would bring the series back to... anything? i don't have a switch but if anything it seems like a further push away from classic fire emblem than fe13/14 were. not a criticism, IS does well in trying new things, but it sure looks very unlike any other game in the franchise.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I like the traditional "anime" style, I guess. 3H they look alot more realistic as people. Which isnt bad by any means, just a reason as to why I dont like it.

Funny, I felt the opposite. I alnost thought the new designs with massive irises and tiny pupils as looking more "anime" than the previous games'. I guess that's another example if art being subjective.

Again I agree with Samz707. Dragon dogma got a switch port three houses still don’t compare. Again plot armor is fine but 3houses is doing DBS Moro Saga levels of Goku Stupid and Plot Armor abuses that plot armor. Edelgard not using her axe against Kostas.Its retarded just make attacked from behind whil she tries removing her axe from one of Kostas dead grunts. Again I’m not putting my money on Byleth teaching me how to fight. Hell im sorry but Corrin Herself might be a better teacher.

11 minutes ago, Axie said:

i like numbers over names for the games? it's easy to type and understand. sure it's confusing to new fans when three of those games are just remakes but it still saves time lol.

also, did people really believe fe16 would bring the series back to... anything? i don't have a switch but if anything it seems like a further push away from classic fire emblem than fe13/14 were. not a criticism, IS does well in trying new things, but it sure looks very unlike any other game in the franchise.

There's also Archanea Saga, three different versions of Fates, Warriors and Heroes to throw into the numbering mix.

15 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The C and B support could take place right after one another or months apart within the story's universe. We just don't know.

That is the weakness of GBA-style support conversations. It has already been addressed; Path of Radiance had chapter-based progression (which still was dependent on how often you used those characters), Radiant Dawn instead used base conversations and had supports as a gameplay-only mechanic, Echoes had act-based progression.

Why did Awakening, Fates and 3H go back to the flawed GBA style? Well, it makes implementing a marriage mechanic easier. Coincidentally, all those games had an avatar to encourage people to marry their favourite character by proxy.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm in the funny little camp of people who had all those issues since day 1, yet I still enjoy the game.

Me too! And it’s my favorite game.

33 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The other characters develop themselves... Witt each other. The game is kinda reliant on you looking at supports for this kinda thing, but considering how easy they are to unlock and how this is an srpg with permadeath I never particularly minded.

32 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

honestly "avatar worship" is probably one of the most empty criticisms you can give towards a story because 9 times out of 10 it's not really even a thing. Why? because usually there is some sort of explanation for it be it thematic or otherwise. Robin, Byleth, and even Corrin(I haven't played new mystery so I can't comment on Kris) all have some sort of explanation for being generally liked by people.

I mean Robin’s isn’t naturally developed, it only comes up when he’s being praised for being a master tactician but supposedly he was the whole time? Byleth on the other hand feels naturally developed over the course of the story since from the first moment he’s great your students sure are noticing.

I’ve never played any of fe12 though, and Fates was so forgettable to me that I remember like 3 character interactions and none of them were with Corrin.

Okay Corrin and Xander have a cool relationship but shhhh

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I mean Robin’s isn’t naturally developed, it only comes up when he’s being praised for being a master tactician but supposedly he was the whole time? Byleth on the other hand feels naturally developed over the course of the story since from the first moment he’s great your students sure are noticing.

Robin’s developed in the same way Byleth is though. Cause Robin is a tactician. The orders the player gives to their units to take out the enemy is Robin giving out those orders in universe. The same thing goes for Byleth. Byleth in universe is the one telling Raphael to go over there and beat that mage to death. How is Robin’s not naturally developed? I don’t get it. Of the two I actually find Byleth to be more “pandery” than Robin is actually

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

For crying out loud, they don't even have proper animations in the Monastery, heaven forbid we re-use combat punching animations for when Bernadetta punches Ferdinand or have  Petra actually be slashing training dummies with her sword, character's just standing stock still with their idle animation is frankly not acceptable for a modern console game, they literally have animations of these from the game they could use instead of lazily fading to black because proper cutscene direction is hard!

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

t feels... bland. Enemy setups are boring. The maps arent enticing at all, looks or setup. The animations/graphics dont do it any favors. The character designs are fine, however I dont like the art style used. I like the traditional "anime" style, I guess. 3H they look alot more realistic as people. Which isnt bad by any means, just a reason as to why I dont like it.

blame Koei Tecmo for that >_< .... take that as a joke or serious however you will

Monastery can be skipped is for the most part is good, you like it? go for it. You dont like it? theres skip button. If only they didnt take a good large chunk of the game with it.

19 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Why did Awakening, Fates and 3H go back to the flawed GBA style? Well, it makes implementing a marriage mechanic easier. Coincidentally, all those games had an avatar to encourage people to marry their favourite character by proxy.

oof, you just point out something that make me hate avatar even more

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anything, IS actually avoid shooting themselves on the foot by claiming they didnt know what makes 3H really popular, and by that extension they wont stick too much to whatever 3H has accomplished. Seeing the discussion here, thats the best thing you can say considering 3H sparking even more varied debate now than you can imagine compared to the initial launch phase commentary

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Robin’s developed in the same way Byleth is though. Cause Robin is a tactician. The orders the player gives to their units to take out the enemy is Robin giving out those orders in universe. The same thing goes for Byleth. Byleth in universe is the one telling Raphael to go over there and beat that mage to death. How is Robin’s not naturally developed? I don’t get it. Of the two I actually find Byleth to be more “pandery” than Robin is actually

Because Robin’s master tactician-ness only comes up when it’s plot convenient. They only mention how great of a tactician they are when they need some master plan. As such, it always felt fake and forced. Byleth feels naturally developed though since they mention when they first start to take notice, at least the students starting in your house do.

From what I know of Byleth, they made their living as a mercenary and had a soldier for a father. So it makes sense for them to have combat experience and be an adept tactician (a professor, less so). Robin is an amnesiac whose sole purpose was to be a vessel for a dragon god thing. They just kind of fall into the role of tactician, and be adept at it because they’re your avatar.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Because Robin’s master tactician-ness only comes up when it’s plot convenient. They only mention how great of a tactician they are when they need some master plan.

I mean he’s a tactician. That’s kind of his schtick. It’s just a trope not exclusive to FE. Look at any other tactician esque character in any other kind of story and you’ll see they’re treated the exact same or at least mostly the same. Hell I could levy the exact same criticism towards Claude. Even so, Robin is kinda the reason they’ve been winning these battles so by that logic the master tactician title is mostly earned.

the way byleth have the opposite story progression compared to Robin , for me.

its harder to accept robin who is amnesiac to be suddenly master of tactician compared to byleth who is mercenary and whose father is ex-knight turned mercenary all the time. but robin actually has progression since you have someone who talks as opposed to byleth who doesnt talk so we dont know what is in their head (or is there anything at all?).

i know byleth supposed to be you, but thats harder to pull right compared to someone who have some semblance of personality and steer them toward your liking (for example, i dont want byleth to participate in this because i dont want, but theres no option pop out.)

in short, Robin start as meh, but turns out okay-ish, while byleth the opposite imo

Edited by joevar

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean he’s a tactician. That’s kind of his schtick. It’s just a trope not exclusive to FE. Look at any other tactician esque character in any other kind of story and you’ll see they’re treated the exact same or at least mostly the same.

Well then I guess Byleth is just a better tactician character.

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Hell I could levy the exact same criticism towards Claude. Even so, Robin is kinda the reason they’ve been winning these battles so by that logic the master tactician title is mostly earned.

Yeah but it doesn’t really feel like Robin is commanding everyone in universe. Claude has also been known for scheming well before it matters, as opposed to people randomly bringing up Robin has been a good schemer this whole time.

On the subject of Byleth, I was replaying 3H lately out of I guess "amateur obligation" and was flabbergasted when the game just had Jeralt tell me about all the unseen character development I've apparently been doing over the course of the game, without ever actually showing Byleth opening up to the students more or getting more emotional in any way.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

On the subject of Byleth, I was replaying 3H lately out of I guess "amateur obligation" and was flabbergasted when the game just had Jeralt tell me about all the unseen character development I've apparently been doing over the course of the game, without ever actually showing Byleth opening up to the students more or getting more emotional in any way.

just monastery magic at work there, nothing suspicious XD

17 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well then I guess Byleth is just a better tactician character.

That’s where you and I disagree but eh tastes will be tastes I suppose

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I mean they do start to emote. That’s something right? xD

start doing pantomime, thats the benefit of going 3D cutscene. altho why they cant use battle animation outside battle is also beyond me. like theres separate skeleton model for monastery and battle that prevent it from implemented

Edited by joevar

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

start doing pantomime, thats the benefit of going 3D cutscene. altho why they cant use battle animation outside battle is also beyond me. like theres separate skeleton model for monastery and battle that prevent it from implemented

What’s pantomime?

5 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

What’s pantomime?

gestures without sound to convey meaning, for dramatic entertainment. everytime byleth shocked, happy, or etc, he didnt make sound (in cutscene)... right?

Edited by joevar

7 minutes ago, joevar said:

gestures without sound to convey meaning, for dramatic entertainment. everytime byleth shocked, happy, or etc, he didnt make sound (in cutscene)... right?

Nope, Byleth is not allowed to make any sound outside of battle.