Jump to content
BlackSymphony

What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Recommended Posts

The "everyone is a noble" thing needs to either die or be less trope-y, I think FE needs a major change in setting like going to something akin to "sci-fantasy" like Tales/FF or something else, otherwise they are going to get stuck on the same formula over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arn said:

The "everyone is a noble" thing needs to either die or be less trope-y, I think FE needs a major change in setting like going to something akin to "sci-fantasy" like Tales/FF or something else, otherwise they are going to get stuck on the same formula over and over.

Unfortunately, so long as we keep buying the games, there's no real reason to change the formula. I'll keep my fingers crossed for FESwitch for you, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I apologize in advance if my following post comes off as offensive. It is not my intention to at all. This is just something I need to get off my chest.

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

I've seen people "fix" Faye by making her gay for Celica where they ditch boys and live happily ever after. This is a massive pet peeve of mine. It's bad enough mainstream media loves the trope of girls who have had bad past experiences with men suddenly realizing they were a lesbian all along after meeting the perfect girl of their dreams. It's especially gross when fans do it under the guide of "fighting heteronormativity."

Also as someone with Aspergers I'm completely done with Autistic head canons as well. They rely on stereotypes of Autistic people. Why can't a character act a certain way without a label slapped on them? I've seen people tear apart Miriel and other common targets of these head canons, bashing them as "insults to Autistic representation" despite the fact that I highly doubt she and the others were deliberately written to have the disorder. Her quirks are a result of general bad writing and being a victim to the tropey characterization all the Awakening characters were hit with, not bad representation. People are holding writers accountable for imaginary crimes they didn't commit.

I'm going to make it clear- I have no issues with head canons. If it makes you relate to the characters or cope with your own sexuality and/or disability that's perfectly cool! It's when people hold them as gospel, aggressively attack others who disagree, throw temper tantrums, and scream "SORRY I DON'T MAKE THE RULES" that I have to draw the line.

Edited by CallieCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CallieCat said:

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

I really never heard of that. Closest I've seen is Forsyth x Python/Lukas but that's about it. 

 

9 minutes ago, CallieCat said:

Also as someone with Aspergers I'm completely done with Autistic head canons as well. They rely on stereotypes of Autistic people. Why can't a character act a certain way without a label slapped on them? I've seen people tear apart Miriel and other common targets of these head canons, bashing them as "insults to Autistic representation" despite the fact that I highly doubt she and the others were deliberately written to have the disorder. Her quirks are a result of general bad writing and being a victim to the tropey characterization all the Awakening characters were hit with, not bad representation. People are holding writers accountable for imaginary crimes they didn't commit

I'm glad someone pointed out that a character can't act a certain way without a label, since the Homestuck fandom (from what I've seen) likes to believe a character is autistic from 1 line of dialouge. 

Spoiler

Though it really does make you wonder if something happened that made Lukas not feel any emotions though

 

Edited by Hero_Lucina
clarifying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CallieCat said:

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

I've seen people "fix" Faye by making her gay for Celica where they ditch boys and live happily ever after. This is a massive pet peeve of mine. It's bad enough mainstream media loves the trope of girls who have had bad past experiences with men suddenly realizing they were a lesbian all along after meeting the perfect girl of their dreams. It's especially gross when fans do it under the guide of "fighting heteronormativity."

 

Wat?

What community thinks that making characters gay is somehow fighting sexism? How would that even begin to make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CallieCat said:

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

I've seen people "fix" Faye by making her gay for Celica where they ditch boys and live happily ever after. This is a massive pet peeve of mine. It's bad enough mainstream media loves the trope of girls who have had bad past experiences with men suddenly realizing they were a lesbian all along after meeting the perfect girl of their dreams. It's especially gross when fans do it under the guide of "fighting heteronormativity."

Also as someone with Aspergers I'm completely done with Autistic head canons as well. They rely on stereotypes of Autistic people. Why can't a character act a certain way without a label slapped on them? I've seen people tear apart Miriel and other common targets of these head canons, bashing them as "insults to Autistic representation" despite the fact that I highly doubt she and the others were deliberately written to have the disorder. Her quirks are a result of general bad writing and being a victim to the tropey characterization all the Awakening characters were hit with, not bad representation. People are holding writers accountable for imaginary crimes they didn't commit.

Hm…I wasn't aware people did that. It sounds like it would be really frustrating to have to deal with. I don't really have a lot of issues with people redoing things to be like that either, nor do I have issues with LGBT+ characters being in stories most of the time - heck, I've fiddled with the idea for a particular character for a while now. What bothers me is when people try to shove that down everyone else's throats, and that extends past writing - it makes it a lot harder on LGBT+ people who aren't obsessed with pushing it, who would rather just let everyone else alone and be let alone but end up getting lumped in with all the extremes and treated like walking time bombs.

As someone who was also diagnosed with high-functioning Autism and ADHD, it does bug me when people go throwing those terms around without knowing what they mean. Frankly, if people are looking at characters for the purpose of ranting about being insults to (insert group here), then they're playing the game for the wrong reason, and if that's the only reason they play these games then they shouldn't be playing. On the other hand, people do have their agency, and we can't exactly stop them from doing that kind of thing, so it's a tricky thing to figure out when to just ignore it and when to tell someone they need to shut up and chill out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Though it really does make you wonder if something happened that made Lukas not feel any emotions though

As someone who feel less emotional about things than I see some others are, I think it's maybe just natural. Though that's based off personal experience and I could be forgetting something that made me be that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hm…I wasn't aware people did that. It sounds like it would be really frustrating to have to deal with. I don't really have a lot of issues with people redoing things to be like that either, nor do I have issues with LGBT+ characters being in stories most of the time - heck, I've fiddled with the idea for a particular character for a while now. What bothers me is when people try to shove that down everyone else's throats, and that extends past writing - it makes it a lot harder on LGBT+ people who aren't obsessed with pushing it, who would rather just let everyone else alone and be let alone but end up getting lumped in with all the extremes and treated like walking time bombs.

As someone who was also diagnosed with high-functioning Autism and ADHD, it does bug me when people go throwing those terms around without knowing what they mean. Frankly, if people are looking at characters for the purpose of ranting about being insults to (insert group here), then they're playing the game for the wrong reason, and if that's the only reason they play these games then they shouldn't be playing. On the other hand, people do have their agency, and we can't exactly stop them from doing that kind of thing, so it's a tricky thing to figure out when to just ignore it and when to tell someone they need to shut up and chill out.

Exactly! I have no issue whatsoever with head canons. The beauty of them is to experiment with "what if?" scenarios. It's cool to see what other fans come up with. I may not agree with some of them but I would never stop a person if they feel a character is LGBT+ or Autistic as long as they are respectful and not harming anybody.

It's when people begin to bully others and insist their head canons are "right" that I have issues. Or even worse, harass the creators and demand they become canon. Thankfully I never saw this in the FE fandom but other fan bases have a very bad reputation of doing this.

Most of this is usually isolated to Tumblr but I'm beginning to see it spread to other sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CallieCat said:

Exactly! I have no issue whatsoever with head canons. The beauty of them is to experiment with "what if?" scenarios. It's cool to see what other fans come up with. I may not agree with some of them but I would never stop a person if they feel a character is LGBT+ or Autistic as long as they are respectful and not harming anybody.

It's when people begin to bully others and insist their head canons are "right" that I have issues. Or even worse, harass the creators and demand they become canon. Thankfully I never saw this in the FE fandom but other fan bases have a very bad reputation of doing this.

Most of this is usually isolated to Tumblr but I'm beginning to see it spread to other sites.

Oh ok. Makes sense

17 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

As someone who feel less emotional about things than I see some others are, I think it's maybe just natural. Though that's based off personal experience and I could be forgetting something that made me be that way.

Oh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CallieCat said:

Ok I apologize in advance if my following post comes off as offensive. It is not my intention to at all. This is just something I need to get off my chest.

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

I've seen people "fix" Faye by making her gay for Celica where they ditch boys and live happily ever after. This is a massive pet peeve of mine. It's bad enough mainstream media loves the trope of girls who have had bad past experiences with men suddenly realizing they were a lesbian all along after meeting the perfect girl of their dreams. It's especially gross when fans do it under the guide of "fighting heteronormativity."

Also as someone with Aspergers I'm completely done with Autistic head canons as well. They rely on stereotypes of Autistic people. Why can't a character act a certain way without a label slapped on them? I've seen people tear apart Miriel and other common targets of these head canons, bashing them as "insults to Autistic representation" despite the fact that I highly doubt she and the others were deliberately written to have the disorder. Her quirks are a result of general bad writing and being a victim to the tropey characterization all the Awakening characters were hit with, not bad representation. People are holding writers accountable for imaginary crimes they didn't commit.

I'm going to make it clear- I have no issues with head canons. If it makes you relate to the characters or cope with your own sexuality and/or disability that's perfectly cool! It's when people hold them as gospel, aggressively attack others who disagree, throw temper tantrums, and scream "SORRY I DON'T MAKE THE RULES" that I have to draw the line.

Agree 100%. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the pairings I ship are gay pairings, Gray x Tobin and Forsyth x Python come to mind. But will I shove it down people's throats or do it just to "stop sexism"? Of course not. Can I separate my ships from canon? Obviously.

I hate it when people label characters too, but due to the people that do it tend to be...defensive, and that's putting it politely, I tend to keep quiet about it.

I frequent Tumblr quite often and, well, its vocal minority is pretty damn toxic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CallieCat said:

Ok I apologize in advance if my following post comes off as offensive. It is not my intention to at all. This is just something I need to get off my chest.

People need to stop trying to fix the "sexist" writing of Echoes by making all the characters gay. As a bi person it feels like really gross fetishization. I don't care if people have gay head canons for characters but everyone needs to knock it off with the "gentle reminder that nobody in the series is straight sorry I don't make the rules ~uwu~" BS.

 

I'm generally ambivalent on the whole subject of making people gay. I tend not to care and don't pay attention to those sort of talk.

The exception would be Forrest from Fates. People claiming or asking if he's gay kinda bug me. It goes against Forrest whole character if people make him out to be guy while he firmly state he's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, Raven is the best mercenary period.

He is to me, one of the units that fits the mercenary class as he volunteers to help the ones who captured him so he's doing a service to that, his cold personality of not socializing much with others pretty much should be how mercenaries should be unlike some like Gregor. 

Then there's also the fact that he has some of the best bases in the class despite being somewhat late. 

Only real downside to him is his revenge plot but that's about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

In my opinion, Raven is the best mercenary period.

He is to me, one of the units that fits the mercenary class as he volunteers to help the ones who captured him so he's doing a service to that, his cold personality of not socializing much with others pretty much should be how mercenaries should be unlike some like Gregor. 

Then there's also the fact that he has some of the best bases in the class despite being somewhat late. 

Only real downside to him is his revenge plot but that's about it.

 

Raven is…Blazing Sword, right? I don't know much about him because I haven't played it yet, but I have felt kind of weird looking at Mercenaries like Gregor or technically Inigo(I mean, he IS Mercenary Class when you recruit him) and trying to piece together how he fits into the somewhat stereotypical mercenary ideal most of us have, so he sounds like he would be interesting to see. In Gregor's case, I mostly just gave up and assumed he got old enough that he didn't give a crap any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raven is one of the characters that carried me through Hector Hard mode. Hes set to go right from when you recruit him. Once he promotes hes invincible. lol well almost, his high stats make him a very consistent unit.

My unpopular opinion is that all the fire emblem games lack good story/dialogue. SRW games blow them out of the water (they sort feel like mini-visual novels with all their text). While I do see why FE9 is so popular (one of the best stories) it still pales in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, Fire Emblem games have fun serviceable stories but I wouldn't recommend any of them based on story.

Edited by wissenschaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 7:50 PM, CallieCat said:

Most of this is usually isolated to Tumblr but I'm beginning to see it spread to other sites.

Tumblr really shouldn't be taken that seriously. I know they were ground zero for stuff like the Soliel controversy, and that was somewhat justified, but most of their attempts to seem all-inclusive and forward thinking come off more as ignorant and short-sighted. They mean well, but while their hearts are in the right place, their heads are usually somewhere else. 

Anyway. Back to unpopular opinions:

As much as people want the series to branch out and try wildly different things, too many mechanics would do more harm than good. Playing a Disgaea game(5) for the first time in nearly a decade, and it's really kind of a chore to get through. It reminds me why I've never held the series in a very high regard in the first place. It's quirky anime stuff, and it's mindless fun in short bursts, but for a STRATEGY game that's supposed to last for dozens and dozens of hours, it really shouldn't be mindless fun in short bursts. Of the two strategy RPGs I played this year, the one that was a fairly barebones remake of a 20 year old game was the better one by a country mile. 

Similarly, while I doubt FE will EVER reach the grindy-ness that Disgaea requires, it is a constant worry I have with more modern FEs: The ability to grind gives the developers an excuse to not make well balanced content and encourage grinding. Awakening, despite its random difficulty spikes, avoided this by being so damn easy, Fates avoided this by mostly discouraging grinding with how random encounters worked, and Echoes was a pretty straightforward experience that didn't really require it. But the post-game of Echoes did, for the most part, require grinding. And Thabes is worse off for it. I worry what FEs will be when we start hitting Thabes level difficulty jumps in the main storylines of FE games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Similarly, while I doubt FE will EVER reach the grindy-ness that Disgaea requires, it is a constant worry I have with more modern FEs: The ability to grind gives the developers an excuse to not make well balanced content and encourage grinding. Awakening, despite its random difficulty spikes, avoided this by being so damn easy, Fates avoided this by mostly discouraging grinding with how random encounters worked, and Echoes was a pretty straightforward experience that didn't really require it. But the post-game of Echoes did, for the most part, require grinding. And Thabes is worse off for it. I worry what FEs will be when we start hitting Thabes level difficulty jumps in the main storylines of FE games. 

Best part is Sacred Stones comes with a free built-in grinding zone, meaning they can up the Story difficulty on a remake without having everyone be mad at needing to buy EXPDLC because the Tower of Valni is already there. That should be…interesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I don't think I've mentioned it before, I think the cast of Binding Blade is underrated. There are a lot of good supports in the game, but they're unfortunately relegated to character pairs who aren't commonly used in tandem. Niime-Fa and most of Igrene's supports in particular are pretty fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Best part is Sacred Stones comes with a free built-in grinding zone, meaning they can up the Story difficulty on a remake without having everyone be mad at needing to buy EXPDLC because the Tower of Valni is already there. That should be…interesting?

I mean, SS falls into the Awakening territory of not relying on grinding by simply just being too easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unpopular opinion: I hate Alm and Celica as a pair. In fact, I dislike them both, especially Celica. I just don't understand her thinking process, or why she's so willing to go into combat when she's all about using your words. She had a path that told the masked knight her about that would be much safer, and she was like, "I know that would be easier, but the other path is faster and even though there are probably tons of ambushes prepared for me, I'mma go the way you told me not to." By this point, everyone should have been sure Mila was not in her temple like she should've been. So speeding to the temple wouldn't have solved anything, it's common sense that the temple would have been attacked, thus there is no reason to go the quicker route. It's just more violent. Celica hates violence, to the point where she split up from the person she was so intent on reuniting with, and then she basically gets mad at him for saying battle is the way out, because Rigel makes it the only way, and then after she splits from him, she wonders if he'll forgive her. What kind of a question is that? She knows Alm, of course he'll forgive her. He probably doesn't even mind, because he's Alm. And there's nothing to forgive, really, they have different ideals, it's just that he chose a path that made sense, and Celica chose a path that didn't actually reflect what she ended up doing, which was fighting. A lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I think the fighting thing is just the unfortunate case of a pacifist being a co-protagonist in a game that revolves on fighting. FE is not a series like, say, Fallout, where you can indeed talk things through rather than fight (well, ever since Bethesda took over, the "talk rather than fight" angle was toned down).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, I think the fighting thing is just the unfortunate case of a pacifist being a co-protagonist in a game that revolves on fighting. FE is not a series like, say, Fallout, where you can indeed talk things through rather than fight (well, ever since Bethesda took over, the "talk rather than fight" angle was toned down).

I get that, but there's also the fact that Celica chose the path that was more dangerous simply because she wanted to get somewhere faster, which should be out of character. There wasn't really a reason to get there faster, if she was smart, she would know Mila was not going to be there.The country was having issues, and there was no reason Mila would just randomly decide to abandon Zofia. If she was intelligent, she would also know that making a reckless decision like "gotta go fast" could result in more casualties, because people were ready to ambush her. But not even Saber said anything about the risky decision, simply because the knight could be a bad guy. Then why would he protect her, to lure her into a false sense of security, and do what, kill her? Then he would have let her die when she was in danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

I get that, but there's also the fact that Celica chose the path that was more dangerous simply because she wanted to get somewhere faster, which should be out of character.

Wasn't it due to Alm going the other way and not wanting to encounter him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly? I think Celica was justified in a majority of her actions. When she finally met up with Alm after all those years, only to find out he was out fighting, she let her worry cloud her judgement. Understandable, and actually very natural. She clearly loves him, plus she had that premonition, and she wants to prevent it, because during said premonition, she couldn't do a thing. She believes Alm fighting is only going to get himself killed, and she wants to at least try to talk him out of it. But she lets her emotions overcome her, and the two argue.

She wants to take the faster way, because it will literally get her to the temple faster. For all she knows, Mila could have been held captive in the temple. As for Mila betraying Zofia...she obviously didn't, but does Celica know that? How much does anyone know about Mila and Duma? They're gods, they have so much power, they could easily turn on them. Celica can't take that risk, she needs to see it with her own eyes. She hates violence, but so does almost every other lord in the series. But she's prepared for it. She knew before setting out from Novis that she'd have to fight, heck, it's why she hired Saber in the first place. And of course nobody trusts the Masked Knight. Would you? He comes out of nowhere at a time of war, in a mask of all things. They know nothing about him, so why would they trust him?

And to bring up what she does in the later Acts...SPOILERS. Can you call her stupid for going along with Jedah? I wouldn't put it so harshly, but yeah. But I do think it's a natural thing to do. It's been a while since I played Echoes so I might be wrong, but doesn't Jedah threaten Alm or at least lie about the 'danger' he's in? Celica has no way of knowing if what Jedah says is true. Put yourself in her shoes. She's under a lot of stress, Zofia is essentially dying, Alm is in trouble, she doesn't know what to do. Of course she's going to take the risk that Jedah might actually be telling the truth. I believe that if Jedah looked less obviously evil, more people would find Celica's actions justified.

But hey, Celica is one of my favourite lords alongside Alm, but this is all about unpopular opinions, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, I think the fighting thing is just the unfortunate case of a pacifist being a co-protagonist in a game that revolves on fighting. FE is not a series like, say, Fallout, where you can indeed talk things through rather than fight (well, ever since Bethesda took over, the "talk rather than fight" angle was toned down).

Celica isn't a pacifist, nor is she about talking things out. Her motivation for not wanting Alm to fight Rigel is based on two things: 1( she doesn't want Alm to die as per her premonition and 2( she thinks that once she finds Mila everything will be taken care of by Mila. Unfortunately, people seem to take her plea to Alm about Rigel at face value even when the game says otherwise. Celica makes it pretty clear in Chapter 5 of both games that her motivation isn't pacifism. In Gaiden:

Quote

Celica: Sorry, Alm. I wasn’t able to do anything for you after all. I’ve had a strange premonition… A feeling that something terrible will happen to you… That’s why I came this far on a quest to rescue Mila… That’s why, until then, I didn’t want you to fight.

In Echoes:

Quote

Celica: Back on the island, I had a dream. A dream where something terrible happened to you. So I decided to petition Mila for the strength to protect you. Yet for all my travels, you’ve still faced terrible danger. And you were even forced to end your own father’s life. …I’d seen it all. I knew it was coming, but I couldn’t change a thing. I failed to keep you safe, Alm!

Edited by AzureSen
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to that, did Celica even had a way to know that Rudolph would, or could, seal Mila's power and drag her off? If not, then it's sensible for Celica to think she needs to hurry to the temple, since she thinks speaking to Mila can solve things. Considering the temple has become uncommunicated from the rest of Zofia, then she doesn't know the exact situation over there. Even if she can deduce it would be a target of Rigel, then if still not knowing they could remove her from the place, then that would only reinforce her desicion to head there as fast as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...