What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 hour ago, Murozaki said:
  • If they do decide to alter any of the existing text, i'd rather them alter the way the campaign is written, i don't want the scenarios or story itself to change, i would just rather not have Roy talk to Merlinus and only Merlinus in most chapters as it would let other characters have the spotlight in the main campaign even if only for a moment. I'd say that to account for permadeath make it so that Roy talks to other characters if they're alive but if they've died then the dialogue is now with Merlinus.

Or just replace him with his kid who's a merchant

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I like Genealogy as it is with its crazy big maps and limited ability bro trade weapons. But I actually wouldn't be adverse to a "Basically make an entirely different game" approach that cut its maps up and had a more traditional chapter count. Because I also agree that remakes should be willing to change more (in fact coincidentally I just started this conversation in another thread on this site). One opinion that's probably really unpopular is that I actually want to see an Avatar in a Genealogy remake. Not because I particularly like Avatars in Fire Emblem, but because of the potential for eugenics if you can choose a (minor) holy blood for your avatar.

That would be cool but I feel like people would just pair them with the Major Blooded characters(besides Sigurd, Deirdre, Ethlyn, and Quan) to get overpowered children

22 minutes ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

That would be cool but I feel like people would just pair them with the Major Blooded characters(besides Sigurd, Deirdre, Ethlyn, and Quan) to get overpowered children

genealogy is the one game where children and inheritance actually made sense storywise AND gameplaywise and we all love to cheese gen 2 with overpowered kids, game design problems notwithstanding. what's the problem with adding one more? genealogy is actually the one pre-awakening game an avatar would be the least intrusive in. a bit of new mystery-esque line stealing (which, as i said a few times, did not bother me much at all) and it works.

i also would be fine with a modern weapon system and not having them being inherited at all. weapon inheritance was one of the big reasons only a few pairings made any sense, and so many other aspects of the characters are inherited. it would be fine.

Getting any sort of "Divine" weapon early on and it sucking is kinda terrible.

I'm pretty sure even the Mani Katti (which is just ment to be a somewhat magical sword that's not super poweful) surpasses the Sword of the Creator from 3H in uses and even base-line damage. (And higher crit-chance too.)

It's never fun getting a "super" sword or axe of any kind but then it turns out be just incredibly medicore.

As much as FE6 is kinda flawed, I much prefer how the Legendary weapons are instead a valuable resource you need to ration the uses of (I'm a big fan of resource management in general.) that actually are super-effective even to the late-game while the Sword of the Creator feels like a glorified Rune Sword.

Edited by Samz707

5 hours ago, Murozaki said:

I've thought about, and my wishes for an FE6 remake are quite lengthy:

• If they do decide to alter any of the existing text, i'd rather them alter the way the campaign is written, i don't want the scenarios or story itself to change, i would just rather not have Roy talk to Merlinus and only Merlinus in most chapters as it would let other characters have the spotlight in the main campaign even if only for a moment. I'd say that to account for permadeath make it so that Roy talks to other characters if they're alive but if they've died then the dialogue is now with Merlinus.

everything point already discussed thoroughly in FE6 changes thread

also i really would like to kill merlinus for a chance to NOT have a conversation with him at all in possible remake. alas he persist like a ghost in vanilla fe6, while everyone just magically vanish

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

It's never fun getting a "super" sword or axe of any kind but then it turns out be just incredibly medicore.

this, my bias towards FE6 is partly due to Divine weapon matters a lot. like any old heroic adventure story for kids, the more powerful a weapon the hero get the more heroic/cooler it become

5 hours ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

Thats exactly why I want it XD Let me marry Azelle so I can have a Valflame user! Though it would also be cool if which holy blood you chose the avatar affected their background in the world, like if you choose Daein blood they're from Thracia but Hetzul blood makes them from Agustria with additional lines noting that when you reach that part of the game (let's make them a bastard kid of some unknown lord so it doesn't intrude on any established timeline). 

4 hours ago, Axie said:

genealogy is the one game where children and inheritance actually made sense storywise AND gameplaywise and we all love to cheese gen 2 with overpowered kids, game design problems notwithstanding. what's the problem with adding one more? genealogy is actually the one pre-awakening game an avatar would be the least intrusive in. a bit of new mystery-esque line stealing (which, as i said a few times, did not bother me much at all) and it works.

i also would be fine with a modern weapon system and not having them being inherited at all. weapon inheritance was one of the big reasons only a few pairings made any sense, and so many other aspects of the characters are inherited. it would be fine.

I definitely feel that the Holy Weapons should have been naturally worked into the plot of the second gen. Random ass Silver Sword I can accept being magically inherited, but the holy weapons are plot relevant elements of the world. Why is Tyrfing the only one treated as such? They were all at the battle, how did the bad guys fail to take possession of any of them? This would also prevent Holsety Artur from breaking the second gen in two. It'd be better if they were all gained around chapter 9 or 10. Apperantly Lewyn was meant to personally pass down Holsety in that one convo in Chapter 10 which would have been pretty fitting.

Edited by Jotari

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Though it would also be cool if which holy blood you chose the avatar affected their background in the world, like if you choose Daein blood they're from Thracia but Hetzul blood makes them from Agustria with additional lines noting that when you reach that part of the game (let's make them a bastard kid of some unknown lord so it doesn't intrude on any established timeline). 

I thought similar once. And I'd go a small step further and customize when the avatar character shows up in the Prologue. If...

• Bladr, Hodr, Bragi- Turn 1 with Sigurd & three knights.
  • Neir, Ced, Fjalar- With Azelle & Lex.
  • Njorunn, Dainn, Odr- With Quan, Ethlin, and Finn.
  • Ullur, Naga, Thurd(?)- With Midir.

I tried to make this geographically sensible, although I tossed Naga with Midir solely to keep things a symmetrical 3 blood bloods per recruitment point. I was considering a fifth point, where the avatar accompanies Arvis to the battlefield and starts green, going off to auto-recruit themselves via a Sigurd talk, with RNG rigging to keep them from dying and like FE8 L'Arachel & Dozla, automatically joins at the battle's end if they survive so that you can't try to miss them, but this would be too much work.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought similar once. And I'd go a small step further and customize when the avatar character shows up in the Prologue. If...

• Njorunn, Dainn, Hodr- With Quan, Ethlin, and Finn.

I tried to make this geographically sensible, although I tossed Naga with Midir solely to keep things a symmetrical 3 blood bloods per recruitment point. I was considering a fifth point, where the avatar accompanies Arvis to the battlefield and starts green, going off to auto-recruit themselves via a Sigurd talk, with RNG rigging to keep them from dying and like FE8 L'Arachel & Dozla, automatically joins at the battle's end if they survive so that you can't try to miss them, but this would be too much work.

Could go ahead and make Alvis playable for that chapter too. Would pretty much eliminate any of the difficulty remaining in the chapter, but it's the tutorial so that's not that big an issue. Plus it's in your better interest to not let him hog up all the exp anyway (well provided you know he's not going to stick around, but his dialogue already makes that sort of clear). I'd also add an option for no holy blood at all, with some kind of benefit in exchange, some kind of weapon or skill.

Edited by Jotari

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Thats exactly why I want it XD Let me marry Azelle so I can have a Valflame user! Though it would also be cool if which holy blood you chose the avatar affected their background in the world, like if you choose Daein blood they're from Thracia but Hetzul blood makes them from Agustria with additional lines noting that when you reach that part of the game (let's make them a bastard kid of some unknown lord so it doesn't intrude on any established timeline). 

I definitely feel that the Holy Weapons should have been naturally worked into the plot of the second gen. Random ass Silver Sword I can accept being magically inherited, but the holy weapons are plot relevant elements of the world. Why is Tyrfing the only one treated as such? They were all at the battle, how did the bad guys fail to take possession of any of them? This would also prevent Holsety Artur from breaking the second gen in two. It'd be better if they were all gained around chapter 9 or 10. Apperantly Lewyn was meant to personally pass down Holsety in that one convo in Chapter 10 which would have been pretty fitting.

This would be cool but the kid would have to wait a long time to get Valflame. Also if there is a remake they might as well make Erinys x Lewyn canon

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So many blessed children more powerful than fates kids. Not Awakening because Galeforce existed...

6 minutes ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

This would be cool but the kid would have to wait a long time to get Valflame. Also if there is a remake they might as well make Erinys x Lewyn canon

So many blessed children more powerful than fates kids. Not Awakening because Galeforce existed...

Well as I said earlier, I think all the holy weapons should be obtained later in Gen II anyway (well except Balmung which already is integrated into the plot and can serve as a panic button against the likes of Ishtar). I also don't see the benefit of making Erinys and Lewyn canon. That just limits potential gameplay fun.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Jotari said:

I also don't see the benefit of making Erinys and Lewyn canon. That just limits potential gameplay fun.

I second this. The whole idea behind that system is choosing pairings that YOU want, no matter how silly. That's alot of the fun of that system.

On a Genealogy remake, they should fix Julius so that you need Julia to defeat him. She inherits the only weapon capable of doing that, according to Forseti. Seliph unites the continent, which is a great feat, but in the end it’s irrelevant.

12 hours ago, Kahndom said:

I think the art style for the DS era games isn't ugly

I would definitely agree with this. I actually think they have a unique charm that, while perhaps not as nicely done as other games' art styles, is still good in its own right. Tbh, character design itself in Archanea is among the best in the series.

9 hours ago, Baldrick said:

On a Genealogy remake, they should fix Julius so that you need Julia to defeat him. She inherits the only weapon capable of doing that, according to Forseti. Seliph unites the continent, which is a great feat, but in the end it’s irrelevant.

Oh? Wait, how fixing the battle exactly affects Seliph?

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:12 AM, OutcastsofRelix said:

One opinion that's probably really unpopular is that I actually want to see an Avatar in a Genealogy remake. Not because I particularly like Avatars in Fire Emblem, but because of the potential for eugenics if you can choose a (minor) holy blood for your avatar.

You know what, I actually don`t completely hate this idea, inspite of my dislike of including avatars in remakes. While the problems it could cause for the story bug me, I feel that FE4 is THE prime game for a avatar where a second generation is involved. I would prevent players from choosing Naga or Loptyr blood though, because that would just break the story. I wonder what benefit they would give players who chose to not have holy blood.

How do you think they would handle the second generation though? I can`t see them killing of the player self-insert.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:39 AM, Jotari said:

Though it would also be cool if which holy blood you chose the avatar affected their background in the world, like if you choose Daein blood they're from Thracia but Hetzul blood makes them from Agustria with additional lines noting that when you reach that part of the game (let's make them a bastard kid of some unknown lord so it doesn't intrude on any established timeline). 

I also second this idea, it reminds me of the origins in Dragon Age Origins. For example, a avatar with Forseti blood could be a bastard kid of either of Lewyn`s uncles, a Fala avatar could be a half-sibling of Azelle and Arvis. IS would need to write a lot of dialouge for all the different backgrounds the avatar could have though.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 4:19 PM, OutcastsofRelix said:

I like this approach, though I can also see them simply going for the firth option to save time from having to program four different places the avatar could show up.

Edited by Metal Flash

24 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

You know what, I actually don`t completely hate this idea, inspite of my dislike of including avatars in remakes. While the problems it could cause for the story bug me, I feel that FE4 is THE prime game for a avatar where a second generation is involved. I would prevent players from choosing Naga or Loptyr blood though, because that would just break the story. I wonder what benefit they would give players who chose to not have holy blood.

How do you think they would handle the second generation though? I can`t see them killing of the player self-insert.

I also second this idea, it reminds me of the origins in Dragon Age Origins. For example, a avatar with Forseti blood could be a bastard kid of either of Lewyn`s uncles, a Fala avatar could be a half-sibling of Azelle and Arvis. IS would need to write a lot of dialouge for all the different backgrounds the avatar could have though.

I like this approach, though I can also see them simply going for the firth option to save time from having to program four different places the avatar could show up.

Kill the self insert, identical child unit. Or just have it so you can make a second avatar for gen 2 who is a child of the first.

27 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

Time-skip avatar? Give some reason why they escaped or weren't part of the Belhalla barbeque and age up their features, perhaps.

oh, no no no no. i am 100% fine with us getting an avatar in genealogy gen 1 if it gets remade, but they die like everyone else. we get their kid in gen 2 and that's enough. even the replacement could be customisable (but ultimately worse than a kid) if the avatar dies single. having a probably overpowered avatar still alive and playable in gen 2 and also their even more overpowered child is too much. finn is fine because he isn't overpowered and serves a story purpose.

the game could even make the kid/replacement the same gender as the avatar instead of opposite as morgan/kanna were, so it's effectively two self-inserts instead of one.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Kill the self insert, identical child unit. Or just have it so you can make a second avatar for gen 2 who is a child of the first.

I highly doubt they would do the former, even if it makes sense. The latter could work.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Time-skip avatar? Give some reason why they escaped or weren't part of the Belhalla barbeque and age up their features, perhaps.

That could be an option, but I also feel like it would be more complicated than neccecary. There also lies a problem in that, if their apperance is coustimizable, how would they know what features to age up?

3 minutes ago, Axie said:

oh, no no no no. i am 100% fine with us getting an avatar in genealogy gen 1 if it gets remade, but they die like everyone else. we get their kid in gen 2 and that's enough. even the replacement could be customisable (but ultimately worse than a kid) if the avatar dies single. having a probably overpowered avatar still alive and playable in gen 2 and also their even more overpowered child is too much. finn is fine because he isn't overpowered and serves a story purpose.

Agreed, I would vastly prefer playing as the avatar`s kid in gen 2. You could even give them unique dialouge with their relatives if they have any. 

56 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

That could be an option, but I also feel like it would be more complicated than neccecary. There also lies a problem in that, if their apperance is coustimizable, how would they know what features to age up?

Make two avatar options like Byleth, and give them pre-determined pre- and post-timeskip designs.

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Make two avatar options like Byleth, and give them pre-determined pre- and post-timeskip designs.

Seems like the best option. Some people will be dissapointed, but you can`t please everyone. 

Not sure if this opinion is that unpopular, but I think that Fates Conquest has better gameplay than Three Houses. While Three Houses is fun, I find it gets very boring and repetative after the timeskip.The maps also felt very boring and "safe", for the lack of a better word With Conquest, I found most of the maps either fun or challenging, so they kept my attention. Conquest chapter 10 is still my favourite chapter in modern FE. 

Or have the avatar either die or betray SIgurd. Then their child who would be( I want to say the opposite gender but at the same time we need something different) or the gender of your choosing.

I think having Naga blood would be cool but the Loptyr just no. If Naga have it be minor and a distant relative to Deirdre through her father like an uncle or aunt or something.

For Second Gen: Remove most of the substitutes(except the Tailtiu niece and nephew) because they offer nothing to the story.

Change Lester's hair color because how tf is his hair blue if his dad(in my canon) is Midayle. Did she cheat.

Remove the incest and child sacrifice. 

And give Julia someone to S support that's not Seliph.

6 hours ago, Troykv said:

Oh? Wait, how fixing the battle exactly affects Seliph?

Seliph can kill Julius in the original, it undermines the story repeatedly establishing that Julia is the only threat to Julius.