What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

7 hours ago, Samz707 said:

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl released with every single use of the word "Basement" mistranslated to "Attic" for the English release.

That's hilarious. Understandable, but hilarious.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's hilarious. Understandable, but hilarious.

Okay I'm a dumbass and got them mixed up. (in fairness, I've only played STALKER with fan patches to fix bugs and fixing the mistranslation is one of them so I've only actually heard about the translation error second-hand.)

It was actually "Attic" mistranslated as "Basement", still had the same annoying effect.

So yeah it was probably totally not annoying for the original players when you're constantly searching for hidden backpacks/tool boxes full of items that you read about on in-game PDAs (or in one case, a Shotgun that's mistranslated as a "Rifle" by the quest giver) by trying to find a basement entrance of some kind when you actually need to look upward.

On the plus side, I found out that the English Physical Manual for Call of Pripyat has a sub-heading that's randomly in French in the English manual for some reason. (sadly the Steam version's digital manual has this corrected.)

Edited by Samz707

• 2 weeks later...

- The hate for Azama is undeserved. He's a Fates character so you're not getting any depth out of him, but that's not unique among the Fates characters. Azama makes himself stand out by actually having some entertaining dialogue and I think his gag of him being a dickhead ended up giving his supports a lot more variety than a lot of the other players who had much less varied gags (think Setsuna with the trap thing, such a mundane, unvaried gag to attach to a character, every support is the same, totally pointless). His supports were probably the most enjoyable dialogue in the game and his writing is prob better than any other character except for Leo or some shit. He's one of the few memorable characters from that game (as in memorable for his character, not for his performance as a unit or his appearance), and I think that means a lot.

- The addition of Faye to Echoes wasn't a problem. I'm not a big fan of Faye or anything but she really doesn't do a whole lot or change the story too much. She's just around, and her dialogue isn't totally egregious. The addition was kind of unnecessary and may well have really been fan service, but I don't see much point in getting worked up over it when everything else was executed so well and stayed relatively faithful to the original game.

- Camilla shouldn't be singled out as the worst of Fates's one-dimensional character problem. She's only singled out for this because she's also a fan service character. Most the other characters are just as bad, and quite a few are even worse.

- I don't actually know how unpopular this one is, but I don't think the cavalier promotion is that worth it in Three Houses. I feel like the speed loss tends to fuck me over more long-term than the extra move benefits me at the time of the promotion. The first half of the game is comically easy anyways so I don't really value the extra power it gives over the speed you won't be gaining during the time the character is in the class. Yeah, it still has value because canto is broken, but idk man. Even for playing fast it seems more important to have your units be able to consistently double on enemy phase with good weapons than to have that extra movement. The presence of two boots and a march ring only exacerbates this because you can just throw them on whatever infantry units you have and make pretty much everyone else a flier (with fliers being far superior since they are fliers and have no speed drawback).

- Leo is the only royal worth shit in Fates (characterwise). The rest are horribly bland. I kind of like Camilla because I'm the exact target audience for that character, but let's be real, she's not a good character. I don't care even a bit about the others and find most of them kind of annoying.

- I like Ray a lot. He's fucking awful, but he's cool and I like to use him. Is it optimal? No, and sometimes it's a complete pain in the ass. Is it fun? When he's not so bad that it makes the game a pain in the ass, absolutely. I don't blame others for not using this guy but I use him basically every run.

- Joshua is overrated. I like him for bosskilling but I hate having sword locked units in SS because the game is so piss easy I'd rather just be mowing down hoards of enemies with 1-2 range. I still use him because I like him, but he's usually one of my less useful units. If you don't mind playing slow he's kinda cracked, but I don't really like playing slow in SS because I don't see much reason to. I'm not LTCing, but unless I'm fucking around with feeding Ross or Ewan or something I'd rather just press on and not drag out maps too long.

- I don't really like Ike. He's fine as a unit, pretty damn good too, but as a character I don't think he's super interesting. He's alright in FE9, but in Radiant Dawn he's insufferable.

- Three Houses should have been stricter with out of house recruitments. If the character doesn't have a lore reason to leave their class for another, they shouldn't do so. This would prevent most pre-timeskip out of house recruitments, but I don't really have an issue with that. You don't have the unit slots for many out of house characters anyways. The only ones I can think of that would make sense pre-timsekip are Linhardt if you're on Golden Deer (Claude is more laid back, GD characters are a lot more relaxed, this would make his joining line of "Your class seems more laid back" or whatever make sense) or Leonie on any route (because of your connection to Jeralt). This would make for a more coherent storyline because the characters would actually have strong motivations for what they do rather than just joining your class because you're the most amazing person on the planet by merit of being the protagonist and self-insert avatar.

Not sure how unpopular this actually is, but I think Three Houses has one of the weakest OSTs in the series (potentially the weakest). That being said, I still think it has a lot of great tracks and I don't think the music sucks (all Fire Emblems have good music imo) and it actually very well may be my favorite FE overall (I played them all basically).

Demonic Beast health bars are outright terrible, at least for chapters where they're treated as regular enemies. (Such as the Sothis Paralogue.)

It's outright annoying to actually get a crit...only for almost all of the crit damage to vanish into the void because screw you, that beast has a health bar left and no damage carries over, it's like fighting an obnoxious boss fight in a shooter thats gets invulnerability frames once you hit him but it's a regular enemy.

You almost have to game the system so that you don't finish them off a health bar with someone who'll do tons of damage, it feels very unfair and comes across less as "Wow these beasts are tough" and more "The devs got lazy trying to actually make them difficult in a fair way."

Edited by Samz707

9 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Demonic Beast health bars are outright terrible, at least for chapters where they're treated as regular enemies. (Such as the Sothis Paralogue.)

It's outright annoying to actually get a crit...only for almost all of the crit damage to vanish into the void because screw you, that beast has a health bar left and no damage carries over, it's like fighting an obnoxious boss fight in a shooter thats gets invulnerability frames once you hit him but it's a regular enemy.

You almost have to game the system so that you don't finish them off a health bar with someone who'll do tons of damage, it feels very unfair and comes across less as "Wow these beasts are tough" and more "The devs got lazy trying to actually make them difficult in a fair way."

I completely disagree with all of this. To be honest I'm not quite sure what your issue even is with them. It isn't a terrible thing for enemies to require the player to actually think, whether that is because you have to manage when and where your units attack or that the enemy won't die to a single low-percent crit.

Demonic beasts are strong, but they have weaknesses and so there are clear counterplays against them.

People often complain about the series using stat inflation to increase difficulty (which I don't even have much of a problem with) but when we have a new and interesting way to make enemies require more tactical thinking from the player, it's described as unfair and lazy because it needs you to use your brain.

4 hours ago, Stones said:

I completely disagree with all of this. To be honest I'm not quite sure what your issue even is with them. It isn't a terrible thing for enemies to require the player to actually think, whether that is because you have to manage when and where your units attack or that the enemy won't die to a single low-percent crit.

Demonic beasts are strong, but they have weaknesses and so there are clear counterplays against them.

People often complain about the series using stat inflation to increase difficulty (which I don't even have much of a problem with) but when we have a new and interesting way to make enemies require more tactical thinking from the player, it's described as unfair and lazy because it needs you to use your brain.

At least if they had inflated HP, they wouldn't be able to essentially completely negate crits.

If you get a crit against a Demonic Beast, it's entirely possible for that crit to essentially do no damage because the regular attack empty'd out the health bar, so you get literally no extra damage from a crit, this is the kinda of obnoxious "my rules aren't your rules" game design that I just barely tolerate for bosses but for an enemy that is at most a mini-boss, it's just obnoxious.

I don't really use my brain against them, I just spam Gambits because they're objectively the best thing to use on them until they're stunned, then it's just attacking them with regular attacks, while they can't fight back, At least with say, Armor knight throne bosses, I have to actually worry  about them being able to attack back but with a Demonic beast once they're stunned you're just beating up a wheelchair bound old man essentially that just takes too long to die. (Since again, they can just negate a ton of damage.)

I don't think, I just spend too many turns beating up an enemy that takes too long to die yet doesn't even have the justifaction of at least being a boss fight.

Edited by Samz707

I dislike Three Houses divine beasts because they are endlessly tedious. They were cool the first time or two but eventually you just start encountering several per map and you have to focus all your units on them at once to effectively deal with them, halting progression. No thank you.

Edited by Sooks

3 hours ago, Samz707 said:

At least if they had inflated HP, they wouldn't be able to essentially completely negate crits.

If you get a crit against a Demonic Beast, it's entirely possible for that crit to essentially do no damage because the regular attack empty'd out the health bar, so you get literally no extra damage from a crit, this is the kinda of obnoxious "my rules aren't your rules" game design that I just barely tolerate for bosses but for an enemy that is at most a mini-boss, it's just obnoxious.

I don't really use my brain against them, I just spam Gambits because they're objectively the best thing to use on them until they're stunned, then it's just attacking them with regular attacks, while they can't fight back, At least with say, Armor knight throne bosses, I have to actually worry  about them being able to attack back but with a Demonic beast once they're stunned you're just beating up a wheelchair bound old man essentially that just takes too long to die. (Since again, they can just negate a ton of damage.)

I don't think, I just spend too many turns beating up an enemy that takes too long to die yet doesn't even have the justifaction of at least being a boss fight.

Doesn't this logic apply just as much to regular enemies with a single health bar?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Doesn't this logic apply just as much to regular enemies with a single health bar?

I get a crit on them, the crit does fully damage, I get crit on a demonic beast and the crit might not even do any extra damage because the extra damage doesn't carry over onto the next health bar.

An Demonic beast has say, 40 hp in 2 HP bars each, I get a crit with a base damage of 35 from the Sword of the Creator, while this should be a ton of extra damage... in practice its just 5 Hp because the health bar cancels the rest of the crit damage, while a single large health pool wouldn't cancel the rest of the crit.

14 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I get a crit on them, the crit does fully damage, I get crit on a demonic beast and the crit might not even do any extra damage because the extra damage doesn't carry over onto the next health bar.

An Demonic beast has say, 40 hp in 2 HP bars each, I get a crit with a base damage of 35 from the Sword of the Creator, while this should be a ton of extra damage... in practice its just 5 Hp because the health bar cancels the rest of the crit damage, while a single large health pool wouldn't cancel the rest of the crit.

Yeah but a crit doesn't do any extra damage when it kills a unit you could otherwise kill either. If four units rush me and I crit one to death it doesn't do anything to stop the other three, no more than taking out one HP bar takes out the rest of the beast.

Edited by Jotari

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah but a crit doesn't do any extra damage when it kills a unit you could otherwise kill either. If four units rush me and I crit one to death it doesn't do anything to stop the other three, no more than taking out one HP bar takes out the rest of the beast.

If I do roughly half an enemy's HP with an attack but it then crits, that's a kill usually, if I do the same against a Demonic Beast, it's still alive since I'm prevented from draining half it's HP since that's only one health bar out of two and it feels cheap to essentially have a crit get cancelled.

So it's not really accurate since the enemy in question is still alive due to multiple health bars.

Edited by Samz707

18 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

If I do roughly half an enemy's HP with an attack but it then crits, that's a kill usually, if I do the same against a Demonic Beast, it's still alive since I'm prevented from draining half it's HP since that's only one health bar out of two and it feels cheap to essentially have a crit get cancelled.

So it's not really accurate since the enemy in question is still alive due to multiple health bars.

So are the other enemies in my example.

Speaking of crits, I think that they should go back to being locked behind skills or equipment. I do not like having the passive chance either be deleted or delete an enemy at the wrong time, and getting crit at the end of a map is just frustrating in my opinion.

Alternatively, I'd be fine if they nerfed it to, say, x1.5 or so damage except for crit based classes, though.

18 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of crits, I think that they should go back to being locked behind skills or equipment. I do not like having the passive chance either be deleted or delete an enemy at the wrong time, and getting crit at the end of a map is just frustrating in my opinion.

Alternatively, I'd be fine if they nerfed it to, say, x1.5 or so damage except for crit based classes, though.

1.5% is so low that it'd almost make no difference I reckon. I think two times damage would actually be a very nice sweet spot (for non crit based classes).

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

1.5% is so low that it'd almost make no difference I reckon. I think two times damage would actually be a very nice sweet spot (for non crit based classes).

Yeah, 1.5% was an arbitrary number; I simply think that x3 is too high for a universal crit multiplier, especially in a game like Thracia that has FCM.

EDIT: That said, if crits were locked behind a skill/equipment, I wouldn't entirely object to x3.

Edited by Benice

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, 1.5% was an arbitrary number; I simply think that x3 is too high for a universal crit multiplier, especially in a game like Thracia that has FCM.

FCM? Not sure what you mean by that. Thraica has pursuit critical coefficient if that's what you mean, it's the only crit related mechanic I can think of beyond the likes of Wrath. All that aside I'm pretty sure Thracia doesn't even use x3, it uses double base attack before defense is calculated in, which is even more broken than x3.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

FCM? Not sure what you mean by that. Thraica has pursuit critical coefficient if that's what you mean, it's the only crit related mechanic I can think of beyond the likes of Wrath. All that aside I'm pretty sure Thracia doesn't even use x3, it uses double base attack before defense is calculated in, which is even more broken than x3.

It's the same thing. It's just sometimes called Follow-Up instead of Pursuit.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Oops. Still, the point does stand that a crit is generally just death% chance.

46 minutes ago, Benice said:

And that's why Genealogy is the best FE.

9 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Gotta say, I don't get the problem here, either. You can see how many health bars and how much current HP is left, just use someone who will do a more precise amount of damage when the HP is low and bring in your high crit at higher HP. As Jotari said, it's no different from critting an enemy when a normal attack would have killed it; that extra damage is "essentially negated" as well.

I can understand people just finding these enemies annoying to fight, even if I don't feel that way about them (I find them way more interesting than normal enemies in this game), but this complaint seems really off the mark.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:44 PM, Jotari said:

"Double base attack" generally helps out weaker units, while technically impeding stronger ones, relative to "triple damage".

Say I have a unit with 15 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit would do 15 x 2 - 20, or 10 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit would do 0 x 3, or 0 damage.

Compare, a unit with 50 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit does 50 x 2 - 20, or 80 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit does (50 - 20) x 3, or 90 damage.

So, the "double attack" model throws a bone to lower-damage units, and means that bulky units aren't totally safe to hide behind high defensive stats. On the flip side, it technically results in high-powered crits doing less damage - but generally at such high HP amounts that it's a one-shot either way.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, Benice said:

How about "damage times 2" for most classes, and "damage times 3" for historically crit-oriented classes (i.e. Swordmaster, Berserker, Sniper)? This would be like the "Sniper" ability in Pokemon. I would probably have those classes forgo an innate crit boost - rather, weapons like the Wo Dao or Killer Axe become more deadly in their hands.

12 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"Double base attack" generally helps out weaker units, while technically impeding stronger ones, relative to "triple damage".

Say I have a unit with 15 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit would do 15 x 2 - 20, or 10 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit would do 0 x 3, or 0 damage.

Compare, a unit with 50 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit does 50 x 2 - 20, or 80 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit does (50 - 20) x 3, or 90 damage

That's true in theory, but in practice I don't think 80 vs 90 damage is going to change how many hits you need to kill an enemy. You need to be packing an attack stat that's double the enemies defensive stat before the triple damage system starts out pacing double attack. And by the time you get to that level, well it basically won't make a difference, unless the enemy is just extremely tanky in HP.