What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

I'd be all for giving critical hits the Pokemon XY-SM treatment: cutting the bonus damage and lowering natural crit rates. And throw in making the crit bonus tools more reliable, like Killing Edges tripling your crit from Skill. Maybe not big passive crit bonuses though...

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"Double base attack" generally helps out weaker units, while technically impeding stronger ones, relative to "triple damage".

Say I have a unit with 15 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit would do 15 x 2 - 20, or 10 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit would do 0 x 3, or 0 damage.

Compare, a unit with 50 Attack, versus a target with 20 Defense. A "double attack" crit does 50 x 2 - 20, or 80 damage. Whereas, a "triple damage" crit does (50 - 20) x 3, or 90 damage.

So, the "double attack" model throws a bone to lower-damage units, and means that bulky units aren't totally safe to hide behind high defensive stats. On the flip side, it technically results in high-powered crits doing less damage - but generally at such high HP amounts that it's a one-shot either way.

Looking at is as weaker or strong units feels kinda backwards for this, as its far more really relevant for more defensive vs less defensive units.

One way to look at it mathematically is as follows

Double base power

Attack x2 - Defense x1 = Crit damage

where as Triple Damage is

Attack x3 - Defense x3 = Crit Damage

from here its easy to see that Triple Damage is better when:

Attack > Defense x2

As can be seen here differences in defense have twice the impact a change in Attack does for whether triple damage, or double power is better.

(sorry for being lazy and skipping steps in the algebra, if people really care I can break it down if they want)

I agree about the demonic beasts that are just the equivalent of bandits. If they were a boss like when Micklan turned into one I would be fine. The problem is the basic ones that have 3 health bars before their true one. I mean it would be fine if their hp didn’t increased by every bar lost. Hell gambits are Introduced by Sothis as THE BEST WAY TO KILL THEM. You know these thing are needless when divine weapons are also a weakness to exploit to facilitate this.

17 hours ago, NaotoUzumaki said:

I agree about the demonic beasts that are just the equivalent of bandits. If they were a boss like when Micklan turned into one I would be fine. The problem is the basic ones that have 3 health bars before their true one. I mean it would be fine if their hp didn’t increased by every bar lost. Hell gambits are Introduced by Sothis as THE BEST WAY TO KILL THEM. You know these thing are needless when divine weapons are also a weakness to exploit to facilitate this.

I'm pretty sure all the "four-bar monsters" are unique map bosses - i.e. the Wandering Beast, the Immovable One, Hegemon Edelgard, etc.. All non-boss monsters have two or three bars, with two bars predominating pre-skip. In the Sothis Paralogue, for instance, only the boss Demonic Beast has three bars, while the Vultures and Wolves have two. And a lot of monsters are quite frail - once the shield is down, you can do a lot of damage to them per round. They take more than one unit to take down, sure, but I don't see the monsters as nearly as tedious as some folks say.

Yeah but I fought wolf beast that had 3 including their 2 extra bars. Around chapter 10 of Golden Dear. Hell even desert worms have this problem. My problem is basic ennemies having this mechanic. It ALMOST DESTROYED MY CLASSIC HARD RUN on Verdant Winds cause my free battle didn’t stop showing these battles as no usable professor slots. And I HAD THREE. THREE!! I can’t stress this enought 

- Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn have terrible gameplay.
- Eliwood in Fire Emblem 7 is a good unit, it's just that many decide to bump it to use HEctor and do not level him up enough. In fact, I think he's way better than Roy, one of the most terrible Lord ever.
- Even if Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game ever, I think it has one of the most boring design I ever saw in a fantasy-styled videogame ever.
- Fire Emblem Heroes plot is not good, is a fricking mess, and I hope they'll just stop with all the bullshit they are throwing in what was an interesting story at first.
- Kris is not a bad avatar.
- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE has something the new Fire Emblem games has not: a not overpowered, human, normal protagonist.

I really like when characters from one game crossover into the next. I always enjoy seeing Anna, and I think Fates did this well with Severa/Selena, Owain/Odin, and Inigo/Laslow. The reincarnation stuff was...less successful. I still like the characters, as they aren't their parents for the most part and are different enough in origin or characterization to be their own character, but I'm not as much a fan of them as I am of Selena, Odin, and Laslow. 

Having the characters crossover from one game to another not only gives this sense of continuity, but it allows side characters to grow in ways one wouldn't expect. Maybe this is due to the new environment, maybe it's due to increased screen-time relatively speaking. Either way, I'm a fan. 

I honestly wish this was the case for Three Houses and the FE Amiibos, either bringing in the characters from their game over, or having the characters be a Fodlan-version of their original counterparts (so...the middle ground between the reincarnations and the actual characters). For example, Lucina could have been a young noble from the Kingdom* who has a rare, never-before-seen Crest. She came to the academy because she had a vision of a great calamity, but is ultimately lulled into a false sense of security while there.** During Part 2, this version of Lucina would feel responsible for the problems Fodlan is currently facing, but would ultimately come to terms with her academy days, recognizing that everyone needs time to relax, especially because those relaxing moments are going to be some of what you're fighting for. Or we could have Lucina

Spoiler

Be searching for Robin post-Awakening. But that would make things awkward with the Robin Amiibos...so it's probably for the best to scratch this...unless the Robin Amiibos have a different origin. 

Or Lucina could simply be exploring post-Awakening. Maybe she meant to go back to her time, but Naga asked her to come here instead. 

Robin could go a few directions: 

Spoiler

One could have them as another experiment by the Agarthans, giving them the Crest of Grima and another, randomized Crest. 

Another could have them as the same Robin from Awakening, but Part 1 is what happened between the final moments in Awakening and the Epilogue. Part 2 would mention that they went back home, spoke to their loved ones, and came back here to help the Professor. 

Yet ANOTHER idea is that this Robin could have been Grima stripped of their power, and they actually learn to appreciate humanity. 

*Or Alliance, or Empire, or from outside of Fodlan. 

**A subtle shoutout to her Awakening origins. 

6 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I really like when characters from one game crossover into the next. I always enjoy seeing Anna, and I think Fates did this well with Severa/Selena, Owain/Odin, and Inigo/Laslow. The reincarnation stuff was...less successful. I still like the characters, as they aren't their parents for the most part and are different enough in origin or characterization to be their own character, but I'm not as much a fan of them as I am of Selena, Odin, and Laslow. 

Having the characters crossover from one game to another not only gives this sense of continuity, but it allows side characters to grow in ways one wouldn't expect. Maybe this is due to the new environment, maybe it's due to increased screen-time relatively speaking. Either way, I'm a fan. 

I honestly wish this was the case for Three Houses and the FE Amiibos, either bringing in the characters from their game over, or having the characters be a Fodlan-version of their original counterparts (so...the middle ground between the reincarnations and the actual characters). For example, Lucina could have been a young noble from the Kingdom* who has a rare, never-before-seen Crest. She came to the academy because she had a vision of a great calamity, but is ultimately lulled into a false sense of security while there.** During Part 2, this version of Lucina would feel responsible for the problems Fodlan is currently facing, but would ultimately come to terms with her academy days, recognizing that everyone needs time to relax, especially because those relaxing moments are going to be some of what you're fighting for. Or we could have Lucina

Reveal hidden contents

Be searching for Robin post-Awakening. But that would make things awkward with the Robin Amiibos...so it's probably for the best to scratch this...unless the Robin Amiibos have a different origin. 

Or Lucina could simply be exploring post-Awakening. Maybe she meant to go back to her time, but Naga asked her to come here instead. 

Robin could go a few directions: 

Reveal hidden contents

One could have them as another experiment by the Agarthans, giving them the Crest of Grima and another, randomized Crest. 

Another could have them as the same Robin from Awakening, but Part 1 is what happened between the final moments in Awakening and the Epilogue. Part 2 would mention that they went back home, spoke to their loved ones, and came back here to help the Professor. 

Yet ANOTHER idea is that this Robin could have been Grima stripped of their power, and they actually learn to appreciate humanity. 

*Or Alliance, or Empire, or from outside of Fodlan. 

**A subtle shoutout to her Awakening origins. 

I personally would definitely be up for the idea of a character from the previous continuity making a cameo in the next game. I think it's better for side characters rather than the likes of Dimitri or Lucina. If I were to pick one for Three Houses then I'd probably make it a Shadows of Valentia character. Maybe Kliff or Deen since they have endings saying they explored the world already.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I personally would definitely be up for the idea of a character from the previous continuity making a cameo in the next game. I think it's better for side characters rather than the likes of Dimitri or Lucina. If I were to pick one for Three Houses then I'd probably make it a Shadows of Valentia character. Maybe Kliff or Deen since they have endings saying they explored the world already.

My concern is, this kind of stuff can screw with "continuity", or "the timeline". Say, we get one game with Kliff or Deen... and then a sequel, set 20 years later, has Tharja or something. I get that there's "deeprealm nonsense", but I generally find that to undermine the worldbuilding for the sake of a cheap cameo.

The version I'm okay with is, if the setting is already established to have relation to a previous setting. So "adult Tiki" in Awakening makes sense. Or if there were a game set on "the other side of Tellius" (i.e. Hatari, and whatever's to its north and east), 50 years after RD, then it would make sense to bring back, say, Vika.

Then again, this is nothing new, with Gaiden already bringing back the Whitewings and Camus. Not that Camus crossing the ocean three times in as many years is especially convincing...

25 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My concern is, this kind of stuff can screw with "continuity", or "the timeline". Say, we get one game with Kliff or Deen... and then a sequel, set 20 years later, has Tharja or something. I get that there's "deeprealm nonsense", but I generally find that to undermine the worldbuilding for the sake of a cheap cameo.

The version I'm okay with is, if the setting is already established to have relation to a previous setting. So "adult Tiki" in Awakening makes sense. Or if there were a game set on "the other side of Tellius" (i.e. Hatari, and whatever's to its north and east), 50 years after RD, then it would make sense to bring back, say, Vika.

Then again, this is nothing new, with Gaiden already bringing back the Whitewings and Camus. Not that Camus crossing the ocean three times in as many years is especially convincing...

There's two options I see there.

1) Ignore continuity entirely. I am fine with that. I don't need to know Deen or Kliff's backstory as to why one of them might be in Fodlan. In fact given how poorly implemented Odin, Laslow and Selena's backstory in Fates was, I think I'd rather prefer that. Why is Jake hanging around in Genealogy of the Holy War a thousand years before he was born? Because screw continuity I want a Jake cameo (course Jake isn't playable in Jugdral, but he could have been if they wanted to continue Gaiden's trend).

2) Make an effort to actually build a consistent continuity. This would be what they did with Camus's cameo. Of course this features a lot more potential to go wrong and somewhat limits story freedom (if Kliff is studying at Garrek Mach then where is Valentiaa on the world map? You're kind of obligated to feature it if you're going to make an effort for consistent continuity). On the other hand if done right it can end up being fantastic with an ongoing world that feels completely fleshed out.

At the end of the day this is something they've done before Fates. How good or bad it could end up being would probably end up on a case by case basis. But personally I wouldn't mind if it became something of a tradition in the series to cameo a character from the previous game/continuity. Kind of like how they always had one crossover Power Rangers episode with the ranger team from the previous season. Does it always make sense? Not really. Is it always handled well? Not really. Is it fun? Well yes, I think so. Especially if you're a big fan of the character in question who's making the cameo.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

1) Ignore continuity entirely. I am fine with that. I don't need to know Deen or Kliff's backstory as to why one of them might be in Fodlan. In fact given how poorly implemented Odin, Laslow and Selena's backstory in Fates was, I think I'd rather prefer that. Why is Jake hanging around in Genealogy of the Holy War a thousand years before he was born? Because screw continuity I want a Jake cameo (course Jake isn't playable in Jugdral, but he could have been if they wanted to continue Gaiden's trend).

I was never against the "Jake" and "Anna" cameos, but that's because I interpreted each incarnation of them as a different person. Who just so happened to share the name and appearance of a previous character. Kind of like how some of the Birthright kids "borrowed" the appearance of Awakening parent units. I'd like to see Jake make a return to the series, for sure.

At the end of the day this is something they've done before Fates. How good or bad it could end up being would probably end up on a case by case basis. But personally I wouldn't mind if it became something of a tradition in the series to cameo a character from the previous game/continuity. Kind of like how they always had one crossover Power Rangers episode with the ranger team from the previous season. Does it always make sense? Not really. Is it always handled well? Not really. Is it fun? Well yes, I think so. Especially if you're a big fan of the character in question who's making the cameo

The comparisons that come to my mind are series like Star Trek, or Law & Order. A character from The Next Generation might show up on Deep Space Nine; meanwhile, a flagship Law & Order character could have a guest spot on Special Victims Unit.

I think my biggest aversion to crossovers in Fire Emblem is, each game feels like a different world - owing to mechanical differences between them. If Elibe is in the same world as Tellius, then why can't Roy's army equip skills? If Fates and Awakening share a world, then why are the weapons unbreakable in one, but not the other? That said, the existence of "Deeprealms" and "Dragon's Gates" mean, what constitutes a unified "world" isn't exactly clear.

But damn, why do they all speak the same language?

On 4/24/2021 at 1:17 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

thats the million dollar question dude..
im sure they just borrowed it from the recent (at that time) isekai trend. no matter what world you end up with, they could understand you regardless its really same language or not. and just stop thinking about it

On 4/23/2021 at 10:58 AM, Use the Falchion said:

i too am delighted when a character i use in a series make a comeback or cameo in the next installment since we already know them, as opposed to new character which we dont know yet whether they are useful or trustworthy. but sadly, either they steal the spotlight for newcomer, or it makes you ask why are they even there if theres no big reason (for main story. side story is fine.)

On 4/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I was never against the "Jake" and "Anna" cameos, but that's because I interpreted each incarnation of them as a different person. Who just so happened to share the name and appearance of a previous character. Kind of like how some of the Birthright kids "borrowed" the appearance of Awakening parent units. I'd like to see Jake make a return to the series, for sure.

The comparisons that come to my mind are series like Star Trek, or Law & Order. A character from The Next Generation might show up on Deep Space Nine; meanwhile, a flagship Law & Order character could have a guest spot on Special Victims Unit.

I think my biggest aversion to crossovers in Fire Emblem is, each game feels like a different world - owing to mechanical differences between them. If Elibe is in the same world as Tellius, then why can't Roy's army equip skills? If Fates and Awakening share a world, then why are the weapons unbreakable in one, but not the other? That said, the existence of "Deeprealms" and "Dragon's Gates" mean, what constitutes a unified "world" isn't exactly clear.

Well we already have that when we set them in the same world, why can't Archanean humans use black magic? Why can Siris carry four weapons but Zeke only one? Why aren't there any master seals in Valentia? Why can all of them equip skills two thousand years later (even the ghosts of people who lived at the time like Marth). Why Fire Emblem: Heroes. Like all of it, why Heroes? The answer is, well they're games and stuff is different. Skills not existing in Elibe while existing in Tellius would be no more glaring than black magic existing in Archanea and not Gaiden. Less glaring in fact if we're leaning on outrealms and dragon gates.

Another potential there would be for the cameo characters to bring over their alternate mechanics. Now that could provide some gameplay fun. Imagine Kliff showed up in Mystery of the Emblem only he had a unique spell list like in Gaiden that damaged him. It'd make for a pretty mechanically interesting unit to have one that works differently to the others of their type in the same game.

To be fair that's already a bit nonsensical given just one continent. These continents would have to be smaller than a typical Indonesian island to have no language drift at all.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

These continents would have to be smaller than a typical Indonesian island to have no language drift at all

yep. since even in every "major" island in indonesia we have multiple language with multiple dialect, lol

just stating the fact.

Another potential there would be for the cameo characters to bring over their alternate mechanics. Now that could provide some gameplay fun. Imagine Kliff showed up in Mystery of the Emblem only he had a unique spell list like in Gaiden that damaged him. It'd make for a pretty mechanically interesting unit to have one that works differently to the others of their type in the same game.

thats a bold mechanic (which is very rare) but also a troublesome one programming-wise im sure

3 hours ago, joevar said:

yep. since even in every "major" island in indonesia we have multiple language with multiple dialect, lol

just stating the fact.

thats a bold mechanic (which is very rare) but also a troublesome one programming-wise im sure

Programming wise, no, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Fire Emblem AI is really straight forward We already have some chapters utilizing different AI, like the Awakening Tiki chapter or Conquest's upcoming Takumi chapter, this would be a matter of making it more common and having a line in the enemies status screen denoting what their AI type is. The real challenge would be implementing it in a good way so that it feels balanced and is enhancing the game.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:19 AM, Francis said:

- Even if Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game ever, I think it has one of the most boring design I ever saw in a fantasy-styled videogame ever.

As my first game, yeah the designs were boring for the most part. (Aside from Armor Knights which were just awful.)

On 4/6/2021 at 12:41 AM, X-Naut said:

I'd be all for giving critical hits the Pokemon XY-SM treatment: cutting the bonus damage and lowering natural crit rates. And throw in making the crit bonus tools more reliable, like Killing Edges tripling your crit from Skill. Maybe not big passive crit bonuses though...

Honestly I feel like crits do need a nerf, since at least in my experience (On "Normal" difficulties) they essentially are a player-way to get instant kills, since regular mooks generally can't crit and only bosses can crit, so they're kinda OP in the player's hands while also being frustrating to go against.

Like maybe making crits do only double damage or making an attack doing 150% percent damage.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well we already have that when we set them in the same world, why can't Archanean humans use black magic? Why can Siris carry four weapons but Zeke only one? Why aren't there any master seals in Valentia? Why can all of them equip skills two thousand years later (even the ghosts of people who lived at the time like Marth). Why Fire Emblem: Heroes. Like all of it, why Heroes? The answer is, well they're games and stuff is different. Skills not existing in Elibe while existing in Tellius would be no more glaring than black magic existing in Archanea and not Gaiden. Less glaring in fact if we're leaning on outrealms and dragon gates.

To be fair that's already a bit nonsensical given just one continent. These continents would have to be smaller than a typical Indonesian island to have no language drift at all.

While I think Fe games should generally be in their own continuities (Since at least FE7 gets it's big "Nils has to leave and seal the gate behind him" thing get ruined if there's actually outrealm gates everywhere, in addition to FE7's gate being specifically to one place and back as well as dangerous, as opposed to just casually going through one so you can have the beach episode, kinda like how in some sci-fi interplanet travel is super fast while in others it's a slow voyage, as well as how some FE games are relatively realistic in tone and lack monsters while others aren't serious/have plenty of monsters.)

That said if it's different magic-types in an setting where they're naturally in the same continuity (like SOV and Marth's games.) then that would actually be cool.

Edited by Samz707

Why Fire Emblem: Heroes. Like all of it, why Heroes?

I hav€ no idea ₩hat the¥ could b£ getting out of Heroe$.

Yeah, I recognize that games with different mechanics can exist in a shared world, and that they have in the series thus far. But it still messes with my head. Like, in the Echoes postgame, I can travel to Archanea. But why does the continent that worships Naga have a Mila statue? Why is the forging system the same as Valentia's, when Archanea has a different, contemporary, established system? And why are all the enemies I encounter at Thabes pre-established Valentian classes, rather than Archanean? It doesn't feel as though I'm in Archanea; rather, it feels like I could be on any landmass in the world of Valentia. Likewise, the Valm of Awakening bears little resemblance to the continent upon which Echoes is set, either stylistically or mechanically.

It's like IS is trying to create an integrated world, but isn't willing to give any place consistent rules on how it operates, or stylings of how it works. And why should I care about a land that's little more than a name and a backdrop, liable to bend to whatever design choices are imposed upon it?

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ambitious, but potentially interesting if well-handled.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Programming wise, no, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Fire Emblem AI is really straight forward We already have some chapters utilizing different AI, like the Awakening Tiki chapter or Conquest's upcoming Takumi chapter, this would be a matter of making it more common and having a line in the enemies status screen denoting what their AI type is. The real challenge would be implementing it in a good way so that it feels balanced and is enhancing the game.

Parhaps a certain character or class could have the ability to "read" enemy AIs? Kind of like how Robin can distinguish the "invisible lines" of supports between units. This character could either have an active command (say, choose to "read" a particular foe), or be a passive effect (like, "read" all foes within a certain range; others are in an "AI fog-of-war"). There could be different symbols associated with each AI ("stay put", "move and attack when in range", "rush the player", etc.).

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

While I think Fe games should generally be in their own continuities (Since at least FE7 gets it's big "Nils has to leave and seal the gate behind him" thing get ruined if there's actually outrealm gates everywhere, in addition to FE7's gate being specifically to one place and back as well as dangerous, as opposed to just casually going through one so you can have the beach episode, kinda like how in some sci-fi interplanet travel is super fast while in others it's a slow voyage, as well as how some FE games are relatively realistic in tone and lack monsters while others aren't serious/have plenty of monsters.)

FE7: Going through the Dragon's Gate exhausts a ton of energy, and it's super dangerous for the world.

Awakening: "You've gotta pay the Hubba toll, if ya wanna get into this Dragon's Hole."

continuity suck, even more so if it happen in relatively short time gap. since FE 90% of the time deal with continent to world-level threat. almost everyone should know those things happen if its in same world, but then it happen again like they didnt learn any lesson from it. also its like villain already have hidden consensus who take turns after who failed. despite them have also existed in previous event, with similar threat level or sometimes the latter is greater..

unless the villain from the previous and the next game are very much connected, and the previous one kinda weak (story wise, not stat wise) compared to later game villain. something like PR and RD. but not like archanea-valentia where both threaten "the world" (unless world = continent)

2 hours ago, joevar said:

almost everyone should know those things happen if its in same world, but then it happen again like they didnt learn any lesson from it

... doesn't this also happens in our world? A world where everyone is connected and knows everything that happens everywhere?

2 hours ago, Francis said:

... doesn't this also happens in our world? A world where everyone is connected and knows everything that happens everywhere?

oh right. im sorry... or not.

it is bad, just because it happen here and now, doesnt mean make it okay tho. if you want to count every conflict in every nook and cranny in earth as one continuity, then our history would 100% full-on war.  thats why i specifically said "in short time gap". because only the most die hard fans would know and care FE4 and FE1 share continuity since the gap in timeline and the position of the continent is unclear. other people would not take notice so the character not taking notes is more understandable. so i take more problem if its the case of  valentia - archanea continuity. (happen near both place and time)

also no dragon in our world...

Edited by joevar

11 minutes ago, joevar said:

it is bad, just because it happen here and now, doesnt mean make it okay tho. if you want to count every conflict in every nook and cranny in earth as one continuity, then our history would 100% full-on war.  thats why i specifically said "in short time gap". because only the most die hard fans would know and care FE4 and FE1 share continuity despite the gap in timeline and the position of the continent is unclear. other people would not take notice so the character not taking notes is more understandable. so i take more problem if its the case of  valentia - archanea continuity. (happen near both place and time)

You also have to think about it as a medieval world. Back in those days war was basically something you'll see everyday, may it be a little one or a bloody one.
I guess in some games they treated the war as something important for the whole continent/world, such as in Three Houses (in VW it even involves Almyria, basically, and in all routes there's Petra's homeland too), while in others, such as in the first half of Awakening, war is treated as something related only to the countries are actually fighting in. I'm playing Awakening again and basically the rest of the continent (Ferox, for example) do not give a shit about Plegia acts towards Ylisse until Chrom desperately begs for their help.

As for Valentia and Archanea, I never really did understand those games continuity, in particoular because of the Pegasus sisters and Falchion

15 minutes ago, joevar said:

also no dragon in our world...

Shame.

8 hours ago, joevar said:

continuity suck, even more so if it happen in relatively short time gap. since FE 90% of the time deal with continent to world-level threat. almost everyone should know those things happen if its in same world, but then it happen again like they didnt learn any lesson from it. also its like villain already have hidden consensus who take turns after who failed. despite them have also existed in previous event, with similar threat level or sometimes the latter is greater..

unless the villain from the previous and the next game are very much connected, and the previous one kinda weak (story wise, not stat wise) compared to later game villain. something like PR and RD. but not like archanea-valentia where both threaten "the world" (unless world = continent)

Continent = World is how most threats in Fire Emblem are presented. To go through the list.

Shadow Dragon, Medeus is a regional power who threatens nothing beyond Archanea (the continent)

Gaiden, Duma going crazy is certainly problematic, but we have nothing to suggest he was going to expand beyond Valentia at all. He seems pretty satisfied just staying in his cave and receiving human sacrifices.

Julius, regional power that only affect Jugdral

Veld, even more regional power that only affects Munster

Idoun, threatens the world in a existential manner as Zephiel's goal is to replace all humans, but in actual practice the conflict did not span beyond Elibe and if any other continents exist in that world they have no cause to notice what amounted to a regional war.

Nergal, I don't know what threat level he would have been had he succeeded, but the conflict itself that it took to beat him is the most low key in any Fire Emblem game thus far.

Fomortiis probably did threaten the whole world, though we have no clue how much world there is beyond Magvel. If there's any communication the existence of monsters probably would have been concerning for other peoples.

Ahsera (who is the potential threat in Path of Radiance too) did threaten the whole world, doubly so since this game confirms that there are no other continents in existence (though we don't know if she petrified Hatari).

Grima, probably the largest threat to the world we've seen as he's is freaking massive and could travel to other continents to live out his unspecified desire for destruction.

Anankos, probably a threat to the whole world if he could get his act together, but he's a raving loony so we don't know what he'd end up doing if he actually succeeded. In the end the conflict was a regional one.

Three Houses, no matter which route, none of the ultimate villains pose any threat to the wide world. All of them seem perfectly fine to focus on Fodlan only, with the possible exception of Nemesis whoose motives beyond killing Serios we don't know (maybe he would have just gave up and went home if he succeeded in that).

So all in all the vast majority  of conflicts in Fire Emblem games are regional ones that any other continents of people would not blink much of an eye at. The only real exceptions are Grima, Ashera and possibly Fomortiis. The other villains either seem content to remain where they are or don't really have the power to extend further.

Continent = World is how most threats in Fire Emblem are presented. To go through the list.

so its Pangea after all, eh? if its like that, no further explanation needed actually

So all in all the vast majority  of conflicts in Fire Emblem games are regional ones that any other continents of people would not blink much of an eye at. The only real exceptions are Grima, Ashera and possibly Fomortiis. The other villains either seem content to remain where they are or don't really have the power to extend further.

so most villains actually either know their limit or maybe havent traveled the whole world to know whether their influence can even reach beyond the continent or not, interesting.

Edited by joevar

To be fair, for most of human history, people weren't overly concerned about the shape of the world and the entirety of what it was. Europe didn't care about China unless it was about getting those trade luxuries. And until the the Age of Exploration, Europe had neither the will nor more importantly the means to take (indirect and direct respectively) control of China and the Spice Islands and the other places where they had an economic interest.

What lay beyond the limits of civilization was barbarians, fantasy lands, and who cared what else. There was usually enough prosperity or chaos in one's realm already that rulers needn't look beyond the neighboring "barbarian" lands at most to keep their attention occupied. Not that it would've been at all possible for the Tang to ask for Charlemagne for an army to help suppress internal rebellions, the Tang could call on the steppe peoples to their north and west, but that was the limit of things.