Jump to content
BlackSymphony

What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Recommended Posts

On 11/1/2021 at 1:49 AM, Jotari said:

Actually Shakespeare being a bit of hack is something  we know. A genius, no doubt, but still a bit of a hack. They say all those unnecessary scenes in Hamlet were thrown in to make the play longer ro sell more snacks.

I consider that pretty brilliant artistic vision, honestly. Gotta consider the whole experience of the audience, and more snacks is clearly better.

On 11/1/2021 at 3:01 AM, Jotari said:

You think my writing hasn't been criticized? Of course it has.

We literally had a whole thread where we would do this (RIP WYBO).

On 11/1/2021 at 2:38 AM, Ottservia said:

Imagine if someone said that to you regarding something you created. How would you feel? That’d be pretty darn rude if you asked me but that’s just my personal opinion

It's a bad opinion too.

Nobody I care about cares if the author is upset that people criticized their work. If you want to be isolated from criticism, hide yourself under a rock. Only an idiot would put something in public and get offended by negative feedback, it's the nature of putting something out there that it's vulnerable to criticism. Think about what you're saying. I paid money for Fates- I fund the writers' paychecks, and they have the audacity to dismiss my complaints because...feelings? It's like saying I shouldn't complain to a restaurant that gets my order wrong because it might hurt the chef's feelings. Bitch I paid extra for grilled onions, you don't get away with not giving me any. By the same token, it's like saying your boss shouldn't fire you for slacking off on the job because it'd make you upset- being fired is a legitimate reason to be sad, but you play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Except, wait, that's not the case at all, because the writers of Fates probably don't care if we say mean things about the plot. You're white-knighting for people who don't know or care that any of us exist.

I know Parr said to drop the run-around, but I'm hoping there's enough novelty for it to slide if I phrase it as follows: "My unpopular opinion is that the feelings of the author are almost entirely tangential to critical analysis of their work. Also Binding Blade has the best plot because it's too simple to screw up, and also also it's a video game, why do we even care?"

Conquest is a pretty uncomfortable game, but I like the map design. Bad plot, good game.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One thing that I guess is unpopular is that I really don't get the appeal of Laegjarn.

It's boobs.

Camus archetypes are bad. All of them, the buncha preachy good-for-nothings*. Caellach is a good villain though. The guy is out for himself to make a comfortable living, no silly moral pretenses necessary. He's siding with the villains so he can get ahead and life, not because "muh loyalty" or some other such nonsense. He's a tertiary antagonist, so anything more than that would have been entirely needless and probably pretty annoying. I mean, does anyone even like the original Camus? In real life, besides Kaga? The very notion of a dedicated "good guy on the enemy side" character is hostile to having a morally ambiguous plot, since now everyone else on the enemy side is a dedicated jerk.

*-This exclude Galle, who's pretty chill. You don't even have to kill him, because FE6 is a good game with meaningful moral choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for still talking about Fates, but I think interpreting Azura as a villain legitimately makes the story of Conquest and Revelation better. It isn't even that large of a stretch, just interpret some of her statements as lies to manipulate Corrin for her own self-interest, and add a vindictive motive where she wants to see both of the families that ended up abandoning her suffer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see that actually, though it would require some rewriting to make sense.

 

Another opinion I have found recently is that, despite wanting Light and Dark magic back to their SNES/GBA days, I don`t care for the magic triangle itself. It just never seemed to make the same difference that the weapon triangle did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Also Binding Blade has the best plot because it's too simple to screw up,

A lot of truth in that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Camus archetypes are bad. All of them, the buncha preachy good-for-nothings*. Caellach is a good villain though. The guy is out for himself to make a comfortable living, no silly moral pretenses necessary. He's siding with the villains so he can get ahead and life, not because "muh loyalty" or some other such nonsense. He's a tertiary antagonist, so anything more than that would have been entirely needless and probably pretty annoying. I mean, does anyone even like the original Camus? In real life, besides Kaga? The very notion of a dedicated "good guy on the enemy side" character is hostile to having a morally ambiguous plot, since now everyone else on the enemy side is a dedicated jerk.

I mean lots of people do if popularity polls are any indication. Though this leads into my unpopular opinion in that Xander is one of the better instances of the Camus archetype simply because of how relatable his situation is. That feeling of wanting to speak out against a family member but not being able to due to your own insecurities and fear is feeling we can all understand to some degree

Edited by Ottservia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

It's boobs.

I'd get that but personally I found her design all that attractive. Why simp over the fire Camus when you can go simp for Ishtar? 

47 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean lots of people do if popularity polls are any indication. Though this leads into my unpopular opinion in that Xander is one of the better instances of the Camus archetype simply because of how relatable his situation is. That feeling of wanting to speak out against a family member but not being able to due to your own insecurities and fear is feeling we can all understand to some degree

I think his particular breed of Camus is certainly more relatable than their more patriotic counterpart. The likes of Ishtar knowing they're in the wrong but not having the emotional strength to detach themselves from their evil loved ones is tragic. The likes of Camus going on about how they love their country while knowingly helping steer the country to destruction is really silly. 

And despite his visible similarities to Camus Xander ultimately has more in common with Ishtar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jotari said:

A lot of truth in that statement.

Binding Blade Gang rise up. Don't produce a twisted dream when you can make a solid reality.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd get that but personally I found her design all that attractive. Why simp over the fire Camus when you can go simp for Ishtar? 

Short hair and dark skin. Those are pretty fashionable now in my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

It's boobs.

If that was the answer they'd have plenty other characters to prioritize. It's not always boobs.

40 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Short hair and dark skin. Those are pretty fashionable now in my understanding

That's a much better answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Florete said:

That's a much better answer.

To be fair, it's really the combination of the three. I ain't seein' any Devdan in this here Heroes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Short hair and dark skin. Those are pretty fashionable now in my understanding.

Considering the greenish hair clashes with both the dark skin and the bright red spots on her armor I'd not deem it very fashionable. Her color palette is a mess. To me at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Does Laegjarn even have boobs?

Based on her swimsuit alt, yes. One of her castle quotes has her ask, "Do I remind you of Loki in this?"

 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think his particular breed of Camus is certainly more relatable than their more patriotic counterpart. The likes of Ishtar knowing they're in the wrong but not having the emotional strength to detach themselves from their evil loved ones is tragic. The likes of Camus going on about how they love their country while knowingly helping steer the country to destruction is really silly. 

While I do agree, I tend to find the Ishar "branch" of Camus more frusterating. I understand that their inability to let go of their loved ones is tragic, but with how evil these loved ones tend to be and how poorly they treat the "Ishtar", I find said loyalty questionable. But that is just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

While I do agree, I tend to find the Ishar "branch" of Camus more frusterating. I understand that their inability to let go of their loved ones is tragic, but with how evil these loved ones tend to be and how poorly they treat the "Ishtar", I find said loyalty questionable. But that is just my opinion.

I think that can certainly be one of the issues of that type and I think that's where Garon in particular fails. But Zombie Vigarde is never overtly unpleasant to Selene, and despite being emotionally abusive Julius does really return Ishtar's affection for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, there can't be a discussion about good "Camus" characters without bringing up the Reed brothers. I find that for all of BlaBla's faults in its story, they are by far the most convincing example of that archetype that I've come across in the series. They both start out as fairly reasonable, obeying their father's orders but the one you face first is willing to investigate further once he's certain that something is wrong. And when that one seemingly died fighting LEH, the other one has a reason to become violently vengeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Unpopular opinion. Brian is the best Camus.

Wait, how does Brian qualifies as a Camus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, how does Brian qualifies as a Camus?

He's a good guy fighting for the sake of his family who have been killed by rebels. He even wonders if he chose the right path in his death quote. Yes, I do like this guy far more than I should for someone with, like, three lines of dialogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

He's a good guy fighting for the sake of his family who have been killed by rebels. He even wonders if he chose the right path in his death quote. Yes, I do like this guy far more than I should for someone with, like, three lines of dialogue.

But isn't one of the qualification of the Camus archetype that they must have qualms and second thoughts to what their country is doing, but don't defect because of XYZ? Burian doesn't really have any of that. Not before the death quote at least... and that'd be just the bare minimum. He only questions it because he lost, not out of any of his personal thoughts.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But isn't one of the qualification of the Camus archetype that they must have qualms and second thoughts to what their country is doing, but don't defect because of XYZ? Burian doesn't really have any of that. Not before the death quote at least... and that'd be just the bare minimum. He only questions it because he lost, not out of any of his personal thoughts.

In my definition, yes. Talent + undying loyalty + real hesitations despite said loyalty = Camus. Let's keep in mind the first Camus hesitated to the point of freeing the princess he was supposed to execute. Which BSFE later added resulted in him being paraded around in a cage after a long and difficult fight. Pretty defiant.

Although Selena Fluorspar is rather lacking on the hesitation front, which in her case I'd say makes her more a bad Camus than not a Camus at all. Since she does show some hesitation before she dies, just not enough for all the very contrite loyalty she shows.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In my definition, yes. Talent + undying loyalty + real hesitations despite said loyalty = Camus. Let's keep in mind the first Camus hesitated to the point of freeing the princess he was supposed to execute. Which BSFE later added resulted in him being paraded around in a cage after a long and difficult fight. Pretty defiant.

Although Selena Fluorspar is rather lacking on the hesitation front, which in her case I'd say makes her more a bad Camus than not a Camus at all. Since she does show some hesitation before she dies, just not enough for all the very contrite loyalty she shows.

Well, as her conversion with "Erina" shows, she does question the fact Grado plunged Renais into anarchy since they conquered, but then didn't bothered to ensure the place was taken care of. It's not like they put Orson expecting to do a good job on it. As it is, we basically get a three-in-one package with the original gemstone generals. Duessel doesn't hesitate to defect, and Glen is killed during his hesitancy period, thus neither qualifying for the archetype. Thus it fell to Selena to be the one.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ping said:

I find that for all of BlaBla's faults in its story, they are by far the most convincing example of that archetype that I've come across in the series.

Blazing Blade's story problems were never with characters, only the plot. How Blazing Blade handled its characters is down right impressive, and some of the better storytelling in the franchise, and that holds for even minor villains like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But isn't one of the qualification of the Camus archetype that they must have qualms and second thoughts to what their country is doing, but don't defect because of XYZ? Burian doesn't really have any of that. Not before the death quote at least... and that'd be just the bare minimum. He only questions it because he lost, not out of any of his personal thoughts.

Yeah, but his death quote makes up like half his total dialogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Considering the greenish hair clashes with both the dark skin and the bright red spots on her armor I'd not deem it very fashionable. Her color palette is a mess. To me at least.

Perhaps, but I think the whole "mint green hair" thing with the dark skin is "in" as well. I don't know, I'm not a waifu-ologist. I did make this though.

3 hours ago, ping said:

In my opinion, there can't be a discussion about good "Camus" characters without bringing up the Reed brothers. I find that for all of BlaBla's faults in its story, they are by far the most convincing example of that archetype that I've come across in the series. They both start out as fairly reasonable, obeying their father's orders but the one you face first is willing to investigate further once he's certain that something is wrong. And when that one seemingly died fighting LEH, the other one has a reason to become violently vengeful.

Yeah, the Reed brothers themselves are alright, despite my issues with FE7's plot as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ping said:

In my opinion, there can't be a discussion about good "Camus" characters without bringing up the Reed brothers. I find that for all of BlaBla's faults in its story, they are by far the most convincing example of that archetype that I've come across in the series. They both start out as fairly reasonable, obeying their father's orders but the one you face first is willing to investigate further once he's certain that something is wrong. And when that one seemingly died fighting LEH, the other one has a reason to become violently vengeful.

It helps that unlike most other Camus characters they actively resent and oppose the corruption influence in their nation. They absolutely detest Sonia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but his death quote makes up like half his total dialogue.

Yeah, but the other half is about just wanting revenge. So his doubt of being in the right is more a result of losing the battle (which is likely to be against another Holy Weapon user, thus a clash of "ideals"), and not really questioning his side in terms of actions and morals, like what the Camus archetype does. It's more "might makes right" mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...